Email can't send messages, but still receives them

Hi. This issue spontaneously started last night. Around 11PM, I was able to
send an email just fine, but then around 11:15PM I received the following
message:

inactivity. Subject 'pics', Account: 'pop3.live.com', Server:
'smtp.live.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number:
0x800CCC0F

Since then, the email has been sitting in my Outbox. I've tried restarting
Windows Mail and hitting Send/Receive several times, but I still get the same
message. I even tried sending a "Test" email to another account, but the Test
email does the same thing.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sarah

"Unexpectedly terminated" is usually caused by interference from an
antivirus program. Which antivirus are you running?
As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus should be turned off,
although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.

Email scanning in any antivirus should be disabled, for reasons
explained here:

If no improvement after disabling email scanning, consider upgrading
to Windows Live Mail, because it is less prone to suffering bad effects
from overly intrusive antivirus programs:
http://download.live.com/wlmail=20

--=20
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"SarahV" <SarahV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message =
> Hi. This issue spontaneously started last night. Around 11PM, I was =
able to=20
> send an email just fine, but then around 11:15PM I received the =
following=20
> message:
>=20
> Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible =
causes for=20
> this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of=20
> inactivity. Subject 'pics', Account: 'pop3.live.com', Server:=20
> 'smtp.live.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error =
Number:=20
> 0x800CCC0F
>=20
> Since then, the email has been sitting in my Outbox. I've tried =
restarting=20
> Windows Mail and hitting Send/Receive several times, but I still get =
the same=20
> message. I even tried sending a "Test" email to another account, but =
the Test=20
> email does the same thing.=20
>=20
> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
>=20
> Sarah
0
Gary
12/20/2009 10:17:40 PM
Something reset your account settings then - probably your antivirus
software.  Try resetting the account to the values described below (Tools -
Account).  You may want to disable email scanning in the AV as well.

Live.com Settings:

Server names and ports:
POP3   =   pop3.live.com    Port = 995
SMTP   =   smtp.live.com   Port = 587

Checkboxes you need to check include:

Server Tab:  "My server requires authentication"  (Click "Settings" button
also and fill in "Log on Using" email address - *** but do NOT check the
checkboxes there . . . .)

Advanced Tab:  BOTH outgoing and incoming - "This server requires a secure
connection (SSL)"

General Tab (if desired but generally recommended):  "Include this account
when receiving mail or synchronizing"

Should work - if you get errors post the entire error message (cut-n-paste)
for further assistance.

"SarahV" <SarahV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi. This issue spontaneously started last night. Around 11PM, I was able
> send an email just fine, but then around 11:15PM I received the following
> message:
>
> Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes
> for
> this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
> inactivity. Subject 'pics', Account: 'pop3.live.com', Server:
> 'smtp.live.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number:
> 0x800CCC0F
>
> Since then, the email has been sitting in my Outbox. I've tried restarting
> Windows Mail and hitting Send/Receive several times, but I still get the
> same
> message. I even tried sending a "Test" email to another account, but the
> Test
> email does the same thing.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Sarah

0
slk759
12/20/2009 10:35:39 PM
Compare your settings to those on this page:
http://mailcall.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!CC9301187A51FE33!49799.entry

TIP: Set Outgoing server (SMTP) to Port 587, not Port 25

TIP: Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application.  It provides no
additional protection and it may be cause similar problems.

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

SarahV wrote:
> Hi. This issue spontaneously started last night. Around 11PM, I was able
> send an email just fine, but then around 11:15PM I received the following
> message:
>
> Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes
> for
> this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
> inactivity. Subject 'pics', Account: 'pop3.live.com', Server:
> 'smtp.live.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number:
> 0x800CCC0F
>
> Since then, the email has been sitting in my Outbox. I've tried restarting
> Windows Mail and hitting Send/Receive several times, but I still get the
> same message. I even tried sending a "Test" email to another account, but
> the Test email does the same thing.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Sarah

0
PA
12/20/2009 11:22:12 PM
try setting your smtp port to 587
--
JesseCU

"SarahV" wrote:

> Hi. This issue spontaneously started last night. Around 11PM, I was able to
> send an email just fine, but then around 11:15PM I received the following
> message:
>
> Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for
> this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
> inactivity. Subject 'pics', Account: 'pop3.live.com', Server:
> 'smtp.live.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number:
> 0x800CCC0F
>
> Since then, the email has been sitting in my Outbox. I've tried restarting
> Windows Mail and hitting Send/Receive several times, but I still get the same
> message. I even tried sending a "Test" email to another account, but the Test
> email does the same thing.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Sarah
Good advice in general, but not the cause of the OP's current issue.

"JesseCU" <JesseCU@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message =
> try setting your smtp port to 587
> --=20
> JesseCU
>=20
>=20
> "SarahV" wrote:
>=20
>> Hi. This issue spontaneously started last night. Around 11PM, I was =
able to=20
>> send an email just fine, but then around 11:15PM I received the =
following=20
>> message:
>>=20
>> Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible =
causes for=20
>> this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of=20
>> inactivity. Subject 'pics', Account: 'pop3.live.com', Server:=20
>> 'smtp.live.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error =
Number:=20
>> 0x800CCC0F
>>=20
>> Since then, the email has been sitting in my Outbox. I've tried =
restarting=20
>> Windows Mail and hitting Send/Receive several times, but I still get =
the same=20
>> message. I even tried sending a "Test" email to another account, but =
the Test=20
>> email does the same thing.=20
>>=20
>> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
>>=20
>> Sarah
0
Gary

Isinteg Warning Message Question

Problems with creating a newsletter

Inbox send/receive syncronizing

Outlook Send/Receive mail SLOW

Messages Cut off
A recipient receives forwarded mail messages that are cut off in random locations throughout the email. Outlook 2000 with latest SP. Any ideas? ...

Interface not registered message

Outlook Hangs Reading Messages

Receiving Transaction Entry #2

how many receivers i can add

Sending Email #6

Duplicate Messages

Forwarded messages are not being sent

Ctrl+D not working on outlook messages

CRM Email Displays Size=2>

Email cannot be resolved...

Entourage (allegedly) cannot see message body sent by OWA
We have a external company receiving emails from us and claim they cannot see the message body when the email is sent from OWA. We are on 2003 SP2 btw. The external party claims that the following patch for OWA fixes the problem http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5BC06E8A-08EB-4976-BC68-A03EBE3A2552&displaylang=en I am sceptical! Any thoughts Ignore!! I just saw another thread wit hthe details for this one. Thread is "OWA message text disappears" "Peter T" wrote: > We have a external company receiving emails from us and claim they cannot...

Recurring email #2