Can I import the contents of folders from BT Internet?

Hello again - I'm still setting up Windows mail....

Question:- Can I import the contents of folders I have set up in BT
Internet? Some of these folders have lots of emails in them... I'm not sure
how to make Windows Mail import them?

Tks

0
Jane

"Jane Mann" <janemann54@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hello again - I'm still setting up Windows mail....
>
> Question:- Can I import the contents of folders I have set up in BT
> Internet? Some of these folders have lots of emails in them... I'm not
> sure how to make Windows Mail import them?
>
> Tks

Most POP mail clients will only download the contents of the server's inbox.
To get the other folders, you would redo the account as IMAP if BTInternet
supports this (it seems they do).   IMAP can work well, but not all mail
clients are particularly efficient at it (some versions of Outlook and
Eudora, are terrible).

Also, by default, when you download mail with a POP client, it is removed
from the server.   You can change this in the Advanced settings, to leave a
copy on the server, and for X days.   If you need to see the mail elsewhere,
either use IMAP or change this setting.

If you need to use POP and are moving away from the online mail,  you can
spend time shuffling mail in and out of the inboxes.   In Windows Mail,
you'd make a backup inbox folder, and move all the downloaded mail to it.
Create other folders corresponding with the ones on the server.   Then, back
to the server, move mail from one folder at a time into the (presumably
emptied) inbox.   Tell Windows Mail to download it and remove it, then
manually move it to the appropriate folder.   Repeat till done.

HTH
-pk

0
Patrick
2/3/2010 2:30:44 AM
MANY THANKS! Very helpful... and as I suspected, one has to fool it!  (Why
oh why don't they make these things talk to each other!)

"Patrick Keenan" <test@dev.null> wrote in message
> "Jane Mann" <janemann54@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> Hello again - I'm still setting up Windows mail....
>>
>> Question:- Can I import the contents of folders I have set up in BT
>> Internet? Some of these folders have lots of emails in them... I'm not
>> sure how to make Windows Mail import them?
>>
>> Tks
>
> Most POP mail clients will only download the contents of the server's
> inbox. To get the other folders, you would redo the account as IMAP if
> BTInternet supports this (it seems they do).   IMAP can work well, but not
> all mail clients are particularly efficient at it (some versions of
> Outlook and Eudora, are terrible).
>
> Also, by default, when you download mail with a POP client, it is removed
> from the server.   You can change this in the Advanced settings, to leave
> a copy on the server, and for X days.   If you need to see the mail
> elsewhere, either use IMAP or change this setting.
>
> If you need to use POP and are moving away from the online mail,  you can
> spend time shuffling mail in and out of the inboxes.   In Windows Mail,
> you'd make a backup inbox folder, and move all the downloaded mail to it.
> Create other folders corresponding with the ones on the server.   Then,
> back to the server, move mail from one folder at a time into the
> (presumably emptied) inbox.   Tell Windows Mail to download it and remove
> it, then manually move it to the appropriate folder.   Repeat till done.
>
> HTH
> -pk

0
Jane
2/3/2010 9:14:59 AM
> MANY THANKS! Very helpful... and as I suspected, one has to fool it!  (Why
> oh why don't they make these things talk to each other!)

Actually, they do.   However, POP isn't really meant to be used this way.
IMAP and other protocols are.

> "Patrick Keenan" <test@dev.null> wrote in message
>> "Jane Mann" <janemann54@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello again - I'm still setting up Windows mail....
>>>
>>> Question:- Can I import the contents of folders I have set up in BT
>>> Internet? Some of these folders have lots of emails in them... I'm not
>>> sure how to make Windows Mail import them?
>>>
>>> Tks
>>
>> Most POP mail clients will only download the contents of the server's
>> inbox. To get the other folders, you would redo the account as IMAP if
>> BTInternet supports this (it seems they do).   IMAP can work well, but
>> not all mail clients are particularly efficient at it (some versions of
>> Outlook and Eudora, are terrible).
>>
>> Also, by default, when you download mail with a POP client, it is removed
>> from the server.   You can change this in the Advanced settings, to leave
>> a copy on the server, and for X days.   If you need to see the mail
>> elsewhere, either use IMAP or change this setting.
>>
>> If you need to use POP and are moving away from the online mail,  you can
>> spend time shuffling mail in and out of the inboxes.   In Windows Mail,
>> you'd make a backup inbox folder, and move all the downloaded mail to it.
>> Create other folders corresponding with the ones on the server.   Then,
>> back to the server, move mail from one folder at a time into the
>> (presumably emptied) inbox.   Tell Windows Mail to download it and remove
>> it, then manually move it to the appropriate folder.   Repeat till done.
>>
>> HTH
>> -pk

0
Patrick

Outlook Express Deletes Folders
Using Outlook Express. I went do delete an email from my created inbox folder (which then contains a number of sub- folders) by the usual "shift+delete" method and instead of bringing up the confirmation dialog that folder and all its subs just vanished! I have looked in the store folder and all the DBX files are just gone... I've just lost a few thousand emails from over 3 years, any ideas what has happend and maybe how I can get them back? Ask in an Outlook Express forum. This is an Microsoft Office Outlook forum. Outlook Express is family of Internet Explorer and Outlo...

export/import Exchange mail
Please let me know if this can be done: 1. I have two Exchange servers running in different domains A and B 2. Server A has 10 users and have email and AD entries for these users 3. Server A is a new box and only has AD entries and no email in email boxes Is there a way to export the mail messages, and other records from the old Exchange mail boxes of the server A and then import it into the corresponding mailboxes of a new Server B? ibsys If they're in the same forest, the both Exchange servers should be in the same organization, and you can use the Move Mailbox Wizard. If they'...

Date trasfer when importing emails to CRM
When I import old emails into CRM from Outlook they are tagged in CRM with the today's date, the day I imported them. Is there any way to alter this date once in CRM to reflect the actual date of the email? I believe your referring to promoting emails within Outlook. If so, please see this thread: news:5DF7B2F7-B5CE-4FF9-80E3-421D4FE5F500@microsoft.com -- Jason -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6CF94DF6-7659-4793-AF6E-439BB480DC29@microsoft.com......

import a 123 file

How Do I Import Stock Quotes to Money2004 Standard?
Does anyone know how to import stock quotes into Money. Some of the ones I am interested in are not supported by MSN for online update. I know I can enter the data manually but I want to be able to update prices for multiple stocks on a regular basis. I have tried ceating a .ofx file for importing and Money reports "Import Completed" with no errors but the price I specified does not appear in the price history. The extract from the .ofx file relating to price I was trying to import is as follows: <SECLISTMSGSRSV1> <SECLIST> <STOCKINFO> <SECINFO> <S...

Offline folder problems #2

Public Folder link to Excel File

can i download lxce serv.exe

importing/exporting Outlook Express 6.0 Messages
Exporting Outlook Express 6.0 on Window 98 to Outlook Express 6.0 on Window XP Home Edition: Following intruction for exporting/importing message fail! "Cannot initialize MAPI" Importing/exporting address book does not work either. Appreciate help. Thanks. Please post in an Outlook Express Group.: Microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress "joseph" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:16bf501c44845$c856ede0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Exporting Outlook Express 6.0 on Window 98 to Outlook > Express 6.0 on Window XP Home Edit...

Corrupt "Deleted Items" folder

how many receivers i can add

printing imported gif files in Excel

Can't configure Outlook Express

what printers can run Vista
just purchased a dell which came with Vista on it. now my printer (HP 5550 deskjet) won't print. I need to find a new printer that i can hook up to the computer. This is an Access newsgroup. We help with questions related to Microsoft Access - the database application that is part of MS Office Professional. -- Rick B "monroe" <monroe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AC746826-251A-4097-AF88-2805BCDE7DEC@microsoft.com... > just purchased a dell which came with Vista on it. now my printer (HP > 5550 > deskjet) won't print. I need to...

me too, problem with import... only 15 records
me too, problem with import... only 15 records.... also in one of my customers crm i need a fast answer.... I dont see a question to answer...? JUAN MARKETING wrote: > me too, problem with import... only 15 records.... also in one of my > customers crm > > i need a fast answer.... Hehe yeah, what is the question!? what are you trying to import? Sorry, I don't know the reason, bu each time i try to import x number of accounts or contacts, MSCRM only import 15 records... Promise, everything is ok... columns, format csv from excel, size, records.... I say that, becau...

OWA Calendar
Hello, Is it possible to publish a public folder calendar (that users currently make changes to in Outlook) to a web page? Does Exchange have some sort of tools to do this? Users could still make changes through Outlook and we would like to be able to display the calendar on our website. Thoughts? TIA, Jason "Jason King" <jasonk@bham.wednet.edu> wrote in message news:%230ps86yIFHA.2136@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > Is it possible to publish a public folder calendar (that users currently > make changes to in Outlook) to a web page? Does Exchange have so...