Applying message rules to incoming mail

I have set up specific rules to prevent messages with certian words from
tried all options as to where they should go. I cannot get the rules to
automatically apply. Have to go in to Message Rules and hit Apply Now to make
it work each time What am I not doing or doing wrong.

Are these rules with words in the message body? Delete it from server
won't work because the message has to be downloaded before the rule can
read the message body.

In general:

Have all rules that Delete it from server first.

Rules that divert mail to folders next.

All others last.

Make sure that every rule also has Stop processing more rules checked,
unless that option is grayed out.

How to set up OE Message Rules:
http://www.timeatlas.com/mos/Email/Outlook_Express/Creating_Rules_in_Outlook_Express/

Some tips:
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/tips/rules.htm

Controlling Junk Mail in Outlook Express:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/junkmail.mspx

Message Rules not working?:
http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/why.htm#rules
--
           Bruce Hagen
         MS-MVP  [Mail]

"goslow" <goslow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have set up specific rules to prevent messages with certian words from
> have
> tried all options as to where they should go. I cannot get the rules to
> automatically apply. Have to go in to Message Rules and hit Apply Now to
> make
> it work each time What am I not doing or doing wrong.

0
Bruce

Move messages to a new queue?
Can i move a bunch of messages from a queue on one front-end server to another? They're both Internet gateways. For some reason i have about 35 messages stuck in an aol.com queue. Some show "queued", others "retry". I have two other gateway servers performing the same duty (load balancing basically) and they're not having the same problem. They're all waited equally. I was thinking that i'd just moved them from one Mailroot/Queue directory to the other, and then restart the SMTP service. I'd like to know why only messages bound for aol.com o...

A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored...
I recently upgraded my client's Office 2002 to SP3. Now when he opens up MS Outlook and tries to compose an email he gets the following error: A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this? If this is unexpected, it may be a virus and you sould choose "No". I've researched it a bit and I can see some third party sw that you can install to prevent the pop up. Is there a way to prevent the pop up without uninstalling SP3 or installing more sw? They need SP3 to run an application I built in Access 2002 SP3. He's ...

Applying a filter to a report
Hi, I want the users of my database to be able to type a value in and get the report for that value. All values and information are saved in a table, and I've created a query with that information. For example, when I click on a report I'll call "Gum", I want Access to prompt me with a box so that I can put in an identifier number for a certain person. When I key in 39205, then this report will be filtered off of a query that I've made for all numbers but that report will give me only the information for this particular number. Then I can see when, where, how,...

Outlook 2002 error message #4
Trying to delete an old email, when I try to delete it , I get "unknown error". I cannot move it or do anything with it. Is there a fix for this? ...

Original email message does not forward or appear in reply
When ever I want to reply or forward a message, the original message does not follow. How can I fix this? May depend on which version of OL you're using In OL2002 - Tools > Options > Email Options > in the lower portion of the window select the option under On replies and forwards K "Colleen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:022d01c3d0d8$b2fca140$a501280a@phx.gbl... > When ever I want to reply or forward a message, the > original message does not follow. > > How can I fix this? ...

Clicking on a URL in a mail takes forever...
Outlook 2002 has a rather annoying behavior when I click onto a URL in a mail: First, this obviously blocks Outlook until it has started or forked of Internet Explorer. Can one change that, i.e. that it starts IE in another thread, so one can continue operating Outlook, and e.g. advance to the next mail? Second, starting IE from within Outlook takes FOREVER! Normally, when start IE directly it is up and ready to accept a URL within 2 seconds. When it is started via Outlook it easily takes up to 30 seconds until the window appears and its status field then says "connecting..."...

Junk filter ignores rules
I am a member of some mailing lists and I'm finding some of those messages end up in the "Junk mail" folder. I have rules that sort out the mailing lists into their own folders, but these still end up in the junk mail folder, it appears that the junk filter runs before the rules. Is that true? If so, is there a way to change it. I am running Outlook 2003 connecting to exchange server 2003 - both are completely updated. ...

Mailbox item restore from Veritas causes rules to not auto execute any more.
Here is our setup. Windows 2003 SP1 Exchange 2003 SP2 AD native Veritas Backup Exec 10.1 Outlook 2003 SP2 We did a restore of some inbox items for a user and since that time, all inbox rules no longer execute automatically. They do however work properly if I manually run them. By the way, these are server side rules NOT client. These are the things I have tried so far: 1. Manually delete the rules and recreate them. - No success. 2. Try to restore again. (maybe the first restore missed something?) - No success. 3. Run Outlook with the /cleanrules switch to verify that the rules are co...

How can I set up a RULE to catch attachment file names ?
Howdy, Right now I get a lot of SPAM crap and my Norton Antivirus deletes the attachments as they come in to my email on Outlook 2002 XP Pro system. However these emails arrive with an attachment "norton antivirus deleted.txt" and I can't seem to catch these emails based on the RULES or RULES wizard. Is there anyway RULES can scan the words in the name of the attachments like it does for subject line ? Thanks BLUE WATER <notavailable@nowhere.com> wrote: > Is there anyway RULES can > scan the words in the name of the attachments like it does for > subject li...

Failing to send e-mails with Norton outgoing mail scanning
I am running Outlook 2000 on a new machine with Windows XP and Norton Anyivirus 2003. I usually set Outlook to disconnect automatically after sending and receiving e- mail, and on this new setup, when I am sending a message I occasionally get an error message "this message was unable to be sent because the connection to the server was broken. You should re-send the message from your sent items folder". As far as I can see, what happens is that Outlook disconnects before the outgoing e-mail virus scanning is complete. The Norton Symantec knowlege base suggests either disabl...

error report windows mail
I get this report below when I close windows live mail email account Windows live mail has encountered a problem and needs to close How can I stop this message from appearing when I close mail account Not a big problem just annoying, any ideas to sort this out? ERROR CODE Oxc0000005 File type 00000001 fdebug:o offset.0002175F This might be some help -- Message posted via WindowsKB.com http://www.windowskb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/windows-vista-mail/201008/1 Windows Mail or Windows Live Mail? You mentioned both. If the latter: The newsgroup to which you posted is dedicat...

Track in CRM when contact is missing e-mail adress
When I use "Track in CRM" from Outlook, the e-mail message normaly is saved under history for the contact owning this e-mail adress. When the e-mail adress don't exist, the massage is placed in a cue. I don't get any message/alarm. Is it possible to get a message asking me to look up the correct contact or creat one??? -- Ronny Not out of the box, but a good feature suggestion. Maybe as a workaround, in addition to "Track in CRM" you can also use the regarding field to fix link to the contact. Frank Lee, Microsoft CRM MVP http://microsoft-crm.spaces.live.c...

Does Antivirus software work in Windows Live Mail?
Hi. I've been using Kaspersky for a few years now without fail. I don't think the anti-spam and Virus are working With Windows Live. With Outlook, I would get a popup that would scan email messages before it would download them. Is this feature now gone? Thanks On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 07:07:01 -0800, Jet wrote: > I've been using Kaspersky for a few years now without fail. I don't think > the anti-spam and Virus are working With Windows Live. With Outlook, I would > get a popup that would scan email messages before it would download them. Is ...

Windows mail error message 04-23-10
When we try to send a link we get a messag "Windows Mail no longer supports HTTP" not sure what to do now. Tried to set up "Register Hotmail" like was suggested but still get the error message -- John S This applies to WinMail as well. How to add your Hotmail account to Microsoft Outlook Express http://windowslivehelp.com/solution.aspx?solutionid=99d4b13d-13db-40d8-9cdf-172002d4194c Hotmail and MSN Accounts POP3/SMTP Access http://liveunplugged.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!F92775FC46A390CA!422.entry?sa=88094129 -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Ma...

configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two servers
Can someone tell me why my exchange 2003 server received this error message. We only installed the first exchange server. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------aren.hnung@xyz.com on Thu, 30 Jun 2005 21:47:09 -0400 A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients. Contact your administrator. <mail01.zyz.com #5.3.5> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------...

how to monitor & disallow outgoing mail ?
Hi, A customer came up with a new request for mail monitoring. He would like to supervise the outgoing mail sent by a specific employee. Dependent on the destination, the mail would be allowed through or not. The mail sent by this employee should ideally gather in a folder and the supervisor would then, message by message, allow or disallow. At the site, Exchange 5.5 & Mail Essentials are installed (windows NT4) Legal & practical issues aside, I don't see how this can be implemented. Any suggestions? glenn Glenn <reply@inhe.re> wrote: >Hi, >A customer came up with...

Outlook 2002 has stopped deleting messages
from my pop3 server. I have selected the following: Internet E-mail Settings>Advanced>Delivery *Leave a copy of messages on the server *Remove from the server when deleted from 'Deleted Items' What could the problem be? I have an accout with my university. They (I don't know how) are tagging certain e-mails sent to me as "Potential Spam" and that's great for me because it usually is spam. I set up filters to send this and other related crap to the deleted folder. When I first set this up it seemed to wokd like a charm, but now it doesn't at all. Advic...

forwarded mail
How do I recover mail that was forwarded, but was not saved in the sent box? nickis wrote: > How do I recover mail that was forwarded, but was not saved in the sent box? Ask the sender to send another copy. And then ammend your Mail Options in whatever version of Outlook you are using as to how to deal with forwarded mail "nickis" <nickis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BA935D7D-6314-4F1B-A1C9-C7BFE7DBCC08@microsoft.com... > How do I recover mail that was forwarded, but was not saved in the sent > box? ...

Editing mail from Exchange
Is it possible to edit the mail someone has sent you? Go to edit and then edit message. >-----Original Message----- >Is it possible to edit the mail someone has sent you? >. > Yes. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. "Beck Donna" <dbeck@inolex.com> wrote in message news:075601c3c321$9fa42e20$a401280a@phx.gbl... | Is it possible to edit the mail someone has sent you? ...

when click send/receive mail
when I click send/receive mail button, I get message "you don't have permission to perform this operation" what do I do? http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/microsoft-office-support/48969-outlook-2003-email-error-message-you-don-t-have-permission.html "JM" <JM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9BB5AEA4-5FDC-44D2-9214-1394FE204B6F@microsoft.com... : when I click send/receive mail button, I get message "you don't have : permission to perform this operation" what do I do? thank you. i don't have money to pay for...

Messages still unread
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0046_01C37B79.3940E780 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Suddenly my outlook xp is not marking items as read. I have it set to = show as read when selection changes. I have to manually mark things as = read. I have tried a detect and repair, but it didn't help. =20 Any ideas? thank you, Karen ------=_NextPart_000_0046_01C37B79.3940E780 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE H...

re direct e-mail
how do i set up exchange 2003 so that all e-mail can be viewed from the administrator account? thanks in advance. "How to Get Service Account Access to All Mailboxes in Exchange 2000" http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;262054 "XADM: How to Enable the "Message Journaling" Function for an Exchange Server Mailbox Store" http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;261173&Product=exch2k On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:25:06 -0800, "bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >how do i set up exchange 2003 so that...

mail enable a public folder
HI, I am using Exchange 2k3. How do I create a mail enabled public folder? TIA In the last exciting episode, "bob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >HI, > >I am using Exchange 2k3. How do I create a mail enabled >public folder? TIA Right click the folder in the ESM and choose mail enable. -- Chris Scharff MessageOne http://www.messageone.com -- ROT13 for valid SMTP address -- ...

Outgoing Mail
For some reason I can't send emails any longer. I can still receive them. There have been no changes, etc to my account, simply stopped my outgoing ability. I have disabled the anti virus IM/EM and it didn't help. The error code is below and seems to match what others have posted today. Any help would be appreciated. The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'Website', Account: 'AndrewsGolf', Server: 'smtp.1and1.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10051, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E "mwabuckeye" <mwabu...

Mailbox limits exceeded message
hello all-- Is there any way (short of an event sink) to change the message below? This is what the users get when they've hit the warn limit on the mailbox store... Your mailbox has exceeded one or more size limits set by your administrator. Your mailbox size is 70133 KB. Mailbox size limits: You will receive a warning when your mailbox reaches 50000 KB. You cannot send mail when your mailbox reaches 60000 KB.You may not be able to send or receive new mail until you reduce your mailbox size. To make more space available, delete any items that you are no longer using or ...