Another stupid question re. Contacts

OK, I *think* I'm convinced that you can't place Contacts back into the
left-hand column in WM. But is it possible to change the default action to
email the contact when you double-click a Contact instead of opening the
Contact for editing? I mean, which is likely to be the most often used? It's
bad enough to be forced to go through so many operations to get a contact
into the To: slot, but that last step, when I either right-click the Contact
(always slow on most older machines), or click it to highlight and then move
the mouse to click the email button.

I've heard of simplification and idiot-proofing, but this is ridiculous.
Remove a few KB of very useful code for an optional feature that can't
possibly cause any problems, all to make room for dozens of gigabytes of
eye-candy? Is Contacts really that different from WAB that it cost too much
to port it into WM? Yes, I know Vista is now years old, and I actually ran
it for quite a while back in '08. Now I'm remembering why I went back to XP.
With a design paradigm like this one, Windows 7 must be a pile of totally
useless geegaws & bangles.

OK, I got the Search problem fixed, now it's on to UAC and I don't know what
else. (And I don't mind being reminded of what else I'll want to fix,
either.) Thanks to the answer people, even though I think I'll be
disappointed this time.

R.

0
Rumpelstiltskin

Sorry, I mixed up two different operations. Musta woke up too early. It's
when I go to Contacts and then choose a recipient that I find it cumbersome.
The only problem with clicking To: and then the Contact is that
double-clicking the Contact isn't the end, I then have to click OK. But that
has always been a point of irritation to me in OE/WM going back to the
beginning. I'd still like to know if there's a way I can change the default
action for d-clicking a Contact. Thanks,

R.

"Rumpelstiltskin" <Dazed_&_Confused@TheKeyboard> wrote in message
> OK, I *think* I'm convinced that you can't place Contacts back into the
> left-hand column in WM. But is it possible to change the default action to
> email the contact when you double-click a Contact instead of opening the
> Contact for editing? I mean, which is likely to be the most often used?
> It's bad enough to be forced to go through so many operations to get a
> contact into the To: slot, but that last step, when I either right-click
> the Contact (always slow on most older machines), or click it to highlight
> and then move the mouse to click the email button.
>
> I've heard of simplification and idiot-proofing, but this is ridiculous.
> Remove a few KB of very useful code for an optional feature that can't
> possibly cause any problems, all to make room for dozens of gigabytes of
> eye-candy? Is Contacts really that different from WAB that it cost too
> much to port it into WM? Yes, I know Vista is now years old, and I
> actually ran it for quite a while back in '08. Now I'm remembering why I
> went back to XP. With a design paradigm like this one, Windows 7 must be a
> pile of totally useless geegaws & bangles.
>
> OK, I got the Search problem fixed, now it's on to UAC and I don't know
> what else. (And I don't mind being reminded of what else I'll want to fix,
> either.) Thanks to the answer people, even though I think I'll be
> disappointed this time.
>
> R.

0
Rumpelstiltskin
9/12/2010 11:46:44 AM
Why do things the hard way? There is no need to go into the
Contacts screen. Start a new email message, click on 'To'
and select the recipient. Alternatively you can type the first few
letters of a contact's name or address in the To line, and
auto-complete fills in the rest. Auto-complete in Windows Mail is
very limited in that it only remembers the last 29 recipients you
have sent mail to. That feature works much better in Windows
Live Mail which uses the entire list of contacts for auto-completion.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"Rumpelstiltskin"  wrote in message =

Sorry, I mixed up two different operations. Musta woke up too early. =
It's
when I go to Contacts and then choose a recipient that I find it =
cumbersome.
The only problem with clicking To: and then the Contact is that
double-clicking the Contact isn't the end, I then have to click OK. But =
that
has always been a point of irritation to me in OE/WM going back to the
beginning. I'd still like to know if there's a way I can change the =
default
action for d-clicking a Contact. Thanks,

R.

"Rumpelstiltskin" <Dazed_&_Confused@TheKeyboard> wrote in message
> OK, I *think* I'm convinced that you can't place Contacts back into =
the left-hand column in WM. But is it possible to change the=20
> default action to email the contact when you double-click a Contact =
instead of opening the Contact for editing? I mean, which is=20
> likely to be the most often used? It's bad enough to be forced to go =
through so many operations to get a contact into the To:=20
> slot, but that last step, when I either right-click the Contact =
(always slow on most older machines), or click it to highlight=20
> and then move the mouse to click the email button.
>
> I've heard of simplification and idiot-proofing, but this is =
ridiculous. Remove a few KB of very useful code for an optional=20
> feature that can't possibly cause any problems, all to make room for =
dozens of gigabytes of eye-candy? Is Contacts really that=20
> different from WAB that it cost too much to port it into WM? Yes, I =
know Vista is now years old, and I actually ran it for quite=20
> a while back in '08. Now I'm remembering why I went back to XP. With a =
design paradigm like this one, Windows 7 must be a pile=20
> of totally useless geegaws & bangles.
>
> OK, I got the Search problem fixed, now it's on to UAC and I don't =
know what else. (And I don't mind being reminded of what else=20
> I'll want to fix, either.) Thanks to the answer people, even though I =
think I'll be disappointed this time.

> R.=20

0
Gary
9/12/2010 4:57:42 PM
Thanks, Gary. You reminded me to look closer at WLM. Yeah, I was confused
earlier and conflated things. Just gotta live with the extra clicks I guess.
Inline auto complete has never worked well for me. Just one of those things.

R.

"Gary VanderMolen" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
Why do things the hard way? There is no need to go into the
Contacts screen. Start a new email message, click on 'To'
and select the recipient. Alternatively you can type the first few
letters of a contact's name or address in the To line, and
auto-complete fills in the rest. Auto-complete in Windows Mail is
very limited in that it only remembers the last 29 recipients you
have sent mail to. That feature works much better in Windows
Live Mail which uses the entire list of contacts for auto-completion.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"Rumpelstiltskin"  wrote in message

Sorry, I mixed up two different operations. Musta woke up too early. It's
when I go to Contacts and then choose a recipient that I find it cumbersome.
The only problem with clicking To: and then the Contact is that
double-clicking the Contact isn't the end, I then have to click OK. But that
has always been a point of irritation to me in OE/WM going back to the
beginning. I'd still like to know if there's a way I can change the default
action for d-clicking a Contact. Thanks,

R.

"Rumpelstiltskin" <Dazed_&_Confused@TheKeyboard> wrote in message
> OK, I *think* I'm convinced that you can't place Contacts back into the
> left-hand column in WM. But is it possible to change the default action to
> email the contact when you double-click a Contact instead of opening the
> Contact for editing? I mean, which is likely to be the most often used?
> It's bad enough to be forced to go through so many operations to get a
> contact into the To: slot, but that last step, when I either right-click
> the Contact (always slow on most older machines), or click it to highlight
> and then move the mouse to click the email button.
>
> I've heard of simplification and idiot-proofing, but this is ridiculous.
> Remove a few KB of very useful code for an optional feature that can't
> possibly cause any problems, all to make room for dozens of gigabytes of
> eye-candy? Is Contacts really that different from WAB that it cost too
> much to port it into WM? Yes, I know Vista is now years old, and I
> actually ran it for quite a while back in '08. Now I'm remembering why I
> went back to XP. With a design paradigm like this one, Windows 7 must be a
> pile of totally useless geegaws & bangles.
>
> OK, I got the Search problem fixed, now it's on to UAC and I don't know
> what else. (And I don't mind being reminded of what else I'll want to fix,
> either.) Thanks to the answer people, even though I think I'll be
> disappointed this time.
>
> R.

0
Rumpelstiltskin
9/12/2010 5:18:58 PM
You're very welcome. If you're going to try out Windows Live Mail,
I recommend the latest beta:

http://explore.live.com/windows-live-essentials-beta
It will automatically import all your Windows Mail data.

> [...]

> and then move the mouse to click the email button.
>
> I've heard of simplification and idiot-proofing, but this is =
ridiculous. Remove a few KB of very useful code for an optional=20
> feature that can't possibly cause any problems, all to make room for =
dozens of gigabytes of eye-candy? Is Contacts really that=20
> different from WAB that it cost too much to port it into WM? Yes, I =
know Vista is now years old, and I actually ran it for quite=20
> a while back in '08. Now I'm remembering why I went back to XP. With a =
design paradigm like this one, Windows 7 must be a pile=20
> of totally useless geegaws & bangles.
>
> OK, I got the Search problem fixed, now it's on to UAC and I don't =
know what else. (And I don't mind being reminded of what else=20
> I'll want to fix, either.) Thanks to the answer people, even though I =

0
Gary

transferring outlook emails to another computer
HELLLLLLP!!! I need to transfer my outlook express files to another computer. When I hit "export" I get an error message. Is there a simple procedure to follow. Thanks! dh This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windows.in...

copying to another spreadsheet
I have a table in spreadsheet x of 10 columns and 1000 rows. Afte sorting by the entries in column a, I would like to copy row entrie with the same column a entry to a specific location in spreadsheet Y. E.g., the rows that have "oranges" in column a in spreadsheet x woul be copied to a specific location in spreadsheet Y, under a heading o "oranges". In the same vein, column a entries in spreadsheet x o "pears" would be copied to spreadsheet y under the heading of "pears". And so on. Is there any way to automate the copying of rows fro spreadsheet x ...

Numeric content in one cell ( implicit formula ) and the result in another one
Hi, I made some search before, but too much information at the same time. So I post this question: In cell D2 , I have the following content : 10002/(14971213 - 37375) /1000000) In cell E2, I would like to have the result value of data in cell D2 : 669,754 I would not work with "left...len... search... right.." as the format ( then formula ) in cell D2 may change. Is there a function giving the computed result of a cell and put the result in another one? Best regards Pierre In cell E2, will the formula "=D2" do it for you? Or is that too simplistic and I don'...

Load event question
I found this code along with it's function on this discussion group. It works great but I want it to populate the text field when the form loads. How can I get the following code on the Form_Load()? fOSUserName() is a defined function. Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer) On Error GoTo BeforeUpdate_Err ' Set bound controls to system date and time and current user name Me.DateModified = Now() Me.ModifiedBy = fOSUserName() BeforeUpdate_End: Exit Sub BeforeUpdate_Err: MsgBox Err.Description, vbCritical & vbOKOnly, _ &quo...

re public folders
We use public folders to store emails about our projects. Until recently, each time a new folder was created, an email address was created automaticlly. Now that doesn't happen and I have to go in the Exchange Sys manager and create the email address. Can anyone tell me why this might have happened? We are using Exchange Server 2003 and Outlook 2003 etc You changed Exchange from Mixed mode to Native mode :-) I'm not sure why the behavior changes, but it does. Once you switch to native mode, PF's are no longer mail-enabled by default. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "IT n...

importing email and contacts from a file
I'm running Outlook 2007 and want to import my mail and contacts (address book) from the saved files of my older outlook. I've already been using Outlook for a few weeks and I was wondering if I can merge the existing e-mails with the mails in the file? Is it possible? Thank you! mgm Never import Outlook data. To merge the files, just open the older file and copy what you want from it into the new file. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "mgm" <mgm@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eLGbc2MoHHA.1388@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > I'm running Outlook 2007 and ...

Yet another Lotus macro question
I have for the most part converted to Excel but have a simple macro that on the surface cannot be converted. The Lotus macro used a database, template and list of branch names. The macro itself started with the name of the first branch, copied it to the template, sucked in the data for that branch and then printed the report. Then it went down to next name on the list and repeated the process until it reached the bottom of the list. In Excel it seems to indicate I have to repeat the steps for each and every branch on the list and not loop back through a 8 line macro that refers to the ...

question about spam
How is it that spam sent to one mailbox will end up in another not mentioned in the "to" address. In other words how is it that spammers get mail destined to Bob in Jim's mailbox? In news:y9CIg.1194$Cq4.62@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net, Mostro <ovelozpleasenospammingme@glasnospampleasefloss.com> typed: > How is it that spam sent to one mailbox will end up in another not > mentioned in the "to" address. In other words how is it that > spammers get mail destined to Bob in Jim's mailbox? The BCC field. It can be used for evil as well as good. ...

Datasheet question
Is it possible to show a Form Header on a Datasheet form ? Thanks Not that I know of, but you could emulate it by creating a new form with a form header (unbound - no rowsource) and place a subform in that form displayed as datasheetview. Maurice "Phil Hunt" wrote: > Is it possible to show a Form Header on a Datasheet form ? > > Thanks > > > No but you can fake it by putting the datasheet form in a subform = control on an unbound main form - Put whatever you'd like on the main = form. --=20 Joan Wild Microsoft Access MVP "Phil Hunt" &l...

newbie question on multi-dimensional array
Hi all, I have a real lame question about multi-dimensional array operation. Suppose I have defined a two-dimensional array "Array(10,10)". If I want to use the Excel function "Average" to compute the average value of Column, say 10, of that 2D array, is there any way to realize it? I tried "Application.Average(Array(:,10))", but apparently the Excel doesn't like that. (You can see I am a Matlab guy, so please don't laugh at me:) ) Any comments are extremely welcome. -- sammus ------------------------------------------------------------------------...

Exchange 5.5 and Public Contact Folder
We have a public folder that contains contact items. We'd like to know who creates each contact in the folder. Is there anyway to see who created an item in there? thanks if you change the view on the folder and add the "from" field, you should be able to see... "Steve" <sschmeg@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:OVaz%23mnxEHA.2752@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > We have a public folder that contains contact items. We'd like to know who > creates each contact in the folder. Is there anyway to see who created an > item in there? > > thanks > >...

CDC::GetTextExtent question
Hi, I have a function that is to resize a status bar text pane when setting text dynamically. GetTextExtent() seems to think the text is almost twice as wide as it actually is so it leaves too much white space. How come? This is my func.: BOOL CMainFrame::SetStatusText(UINT nID, LPCTSTR lpszText) { int index = m_wndStatusBar.CommandToIndex(nID); if (index < 0) return FALSE; UINT nIDRet, nStyle; int cxWidth; m_wndStatusBar.GetPaneInfo(index, nIDRet, nStyle, cxWidth); ASSERT( nID == nIDRet ); CSize sz(cxWidth, 0); CDC* pDC = m_wndStatusBar.GetDC(); if (pDC) { sz = pDC->...

Moving CRM from one server to another error at step 5
I've only got one server on the network. I wanted to reinstall it from scratch as when CRM was installed Exchange had not been and is coming up with a corrupt metabase if I try to install. The server has 2 disks mirrored, so I've broken the mirror and now have the old installation on one disk and a brand new install on the other. The machine name, domain name etc are identical. I've gone through the redeployment guide, but on step 5 the process bombs with a series of errors: 06/14/2005 15:39:44 Backup BusinessUnitBase table. 06/14/2005 15:39:45 Could not use view or function...

A few small questions
I have an Excel document with many tab (actually it look like a database, before any other thing no I can't move it to Access (corporate reasons). I also have a restriction to avoid using macro!!!! First is there a way for footer or header information to include info from cells in the speadsheet. Second you can define info to repeate at the top, what about at the bottom of the page. Third the sheet that serve for report can have up to 8 pages, can the printing zone be define by a cell value, so that page x of y (the y part be other than 8). I have the database part in a sheet bu...

Making custom form default for contacts
Hello: I am a beginner with Outlook. I am a new hire in a department that uses Outlook contact information in a Word Mail Merge process. I am teaching myself how this all works, and have been doing ok, but I am struggling with forms, particularly the form used for contacts. I don't have any problems modifying the form (for example to add FirstName and LastName fields), but I am very confused about how to get Outlook to use my modified form instead of the default custom contacts form. It seems to me that this should be a simple property setting, but I've had no luck tinkering w...

Excel macro for copying range to another worksheet
On a monthly basis, I would like to copy the completed range (varies from month to month) of a database (Sheet1) to a master list (Sheet3). Once the data has been copied I intend to manually delete the entries of Sheet1 and start anew for the new month =96 for eventual transfer to Sheet3. The idea is to copy each month=92s data at the bottom of the previous months=92 (Sheet3). I followed Excel=92s record macro command but the macro I ended up with is not capable of placing the new data at the bottom of the existing one; it simply keeps overwriting the previous entry. Unfortunately, I don=92t...

Error re-serializing a soap class
I have a web service that defines a class that is returned to the calling program. Nothing special or complicated, mostly string. The calling program then tries to serialize the returned class using the XmlSerializer and I recieve a InvalidOperationException. Additional Information: there was an error reflecting type xxxx. ser = new XmlSerializer( typeof(JLConfigService.CJLOperatorInfo) ); data = new StreamWriter( "L:\\OprInfo.xml" ); ser.Serialize( data, sd.OprInfo ); data.Close(); Both the client and the server are .net 3.5. There is a lot of decoration on the class defi...

What file to look for on my hard drive back up to recover my Entourage contact list?

Importing accounts and contacts from cdf using CRM migration assistant : nothing happens
Hello ! I spent almost the night to import datas for my small business, everything seems fine in the cdf database, but when I try to move data using the assistant, nothing happens, no records are pumped, and I have no errors. I customized some attributes in the account element, prepared the cdf database from CRM, imported my data ( 11000 accounts ) in cdf, checked the requested values ( seem fine - I use no guid, it's right ? ) and when I execute the import procedure, select only accounts and contacts, everything goes fast, and finally show 0 records moved of 0 : I am having th...

Here's another good one... (Money 2005)
Money's Online Services for my Credit Union have downloaded my auto loan as a credit card. I can't change the account type and I can't merge it with another account. Does anyone know how to link the online services with my "REAL" loan account? || Aaron ...

Linking items GREATER THAN O on another worksheet in the same Work
I have a workbook that has about four worksheets … I want to create a list of items that will automatically be included on worksheet tab 4 from Worksheet tab 1 if the quantity for the item listed on the first worksheet has been changed from 0 to any other number (i.e. 1 or 10 etc). I have a list of equipment with pricing on worksheet tab 1 and the list is long. Many of the items will have quantities of zero and will not increase as they will not be selected for the project being created. We have additional columns for cost, extended cost, labor hours etc. If the quantity changes for a...

Question on "Value" function
In trying to use Excel to help solve a mathematical puzzle, I would like to calculate the result of applying the mathematical operator in one cell to the numbers in two other cells. Example: A1 contains 2, B1 contains +, C1 contains 3. In D1, create a formula that will give the result of 2 + 3, i.e. 5. I have tried (among many other attempts) =VALUE(CONCATENATE(A1, B1, C1)), but it gives me a #VALUE! error. What am I missing? Hi this is not possible without using VBA. try the following UDF: Public Function my_calculate(op1 As Range, operand As Range, op2 As Range) my_calculate = Ap...

Payroll deduction based on percentage of another deduction
Is it possible to set up a payroll deduction based on percentage of another deduction? I see we can base a deduction on selected paycodes but not deductions. We can collect a percentage of wage attachments as collection fees but if the wage attachment deduction amount changes each pay, we'd have to manually change to collection fee code each pay. I'm looking for a way to calculate this collection fee automatically. ...

Save Query Results as table to another Access Database
I have an access database that users use to pull reports (stored procs in sql server) and it paste the data on 4 sheets in excel. Occasionally the reports are too big for excel. I'd like to develop a similar database that saves the results of the 4 stored procs as tables in a new Access database. right now I have it returning the results as a query. How do I save the results in another database? Thanks, -- Billy Rogers Dallas,TX Currently Using SQL Server 2000, Office 2000 and Office 2003 Hi Billy The following SQL statement should do it for you: SELECT * INTO [TableName] I...

Newbie Remote Assistant and Desktop Questions
i Folks: Developing C++ on VS 2008 Pro, XP Pro, Win32. I have a client that recently upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 Ultimate, 32 bit, on his laptop. I recommended he get Ultimate so I could run Remote Desktop over the Internet. This is before I actually tried using Remote Desktop. After getting Remote Desktop up, I see that I really want, to help my client, is Remote Assistant. Both Remote Desktop and Remote Assistant are now running fine with two XP PCs on my LAN, using my Internet address, to connect. I've cobbled together port numbers requiring...