Windows Vista and 2 Gb RAM?

Hi, Some people on the XP Discussion told me that Widows Vista only really
runs well if it has 2Gb RAM. I know that the Upgrade advisor states a lot
less, and that the Minimum system requirements is less also.

Is this 2Gb need/want true, in what cases, and why? Is it just that Vista
runs much smoother on 2 GB RAM?

Thank you.
windows.vista.hardware_devices 178 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Brian

Having 2gig of RAM is a lot better than having 1 GIG or even 512MB. Go for it and
you will not regret it

--
Peter

"Brian V" <BrianV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, Some people on the XP Discussion told me that Widows Vista only really
> runs well if it has 2Gb RAM. I know that the Upgrade advisor states a lot
> less, and that the Minimum system requirements is less also.
>
> Is this 2Gb need/want true, in what cases, and why? Is it just that Vista
> runs much smoother on 2 GB RAM?
>
> Thank you.

0
Peter
1/12/2010 12:51:50 AM
I ran two Vista Home Premium systems for several years with 1GB RAM without
any problems.    I also have run Windows 7 Home Premium on a laptop with
only 1GB of Ram without problem.

"Brian V" <BrianV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, Some people on the XP Discussion told me that Widows Vista only really
> runs well if it has 2Gb RAM. I know that the Upgrade advisor states a lot
> less, and that the Minimum system requirements is less also.
>
> Is this 2Gb need/want true, in what cases, and why? Is it just that Vista
> runs much smoother on 2 GB RAM?
>
> Thank you.

0
Curious
1/12/2010 12:57:31 AM
I ran two Vista Home premium systems with only 1 GB for several years
without problem I also have run Windows7 on my laptop with only 1GB of Ram.
Will the system perform better with 2GB, yes but depending on your
applications the improvement may be not even be noticed

"Brian V" <BrianV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, Some people on the XP Discussion told me that Widows Vista only really
> runs well if it has 2Gb RAM. I know that the Upgrade advisor states a lot
> less, and that the Minimum system requirements is less also.
>
> Is this 2Gb need/want true, in what cases, and why? Is it just that Vista
> runs much smoother on 2 GB RAM?
>
> Thank you.

0
Curious
1/12/2010 1:01:51 AM
Yes, it's just that it runs smoother that way.  When Vista first came out I
did some testing and you can indeed run it with 512mb or 1gb of memory but
it's not a truly enjoyable experience.  As cheap as memory is these days one
should consider 2gb to be the starting point for either Vista or Windows 7.

"Brian V" <BrianV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, Some people on the XP Discussion told me that Widows Vista only really
> runs well if it has 2Gb RAM. I know that the Upgrade advisor states a lot
> less, and that the Minimum system requirements is less also.
>
> Is this 2Gb need/want true, in what cases, and why? Is it just that Vista
> runs much smoother on 2 GB RAM?
>
> Thank you.

0
Richard
1/12/2010 10:24:30 AM
I completely plan on getting the maximum amount of RAM my OS and mobo can
handle (I learned tech slang posting here, and I'm using it).

Lots of people have told me that Windows 7 works fine with 1Gb. But music,
pictures and video stuff I use would be best with more RAM. I was just on a
video editing site and most people who use those programs professionally or
at an advanced level were saying 4Gb mostly and some more with XP, Vista and
7.

Thanks again everyone.

On Jan 17, 4:21=A0am, Brian V <Bri...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I completely plan on getting the maximum amount of RAM my OS and mobo can
> handle (I learned tech slang posting here, and I'm using it).
>
> Lots of people have told me that Windows 7 works fine with 1Gb. But music=
,
> pictures and video stuff I use would be best with more RAM. I was just on=
> video editing site and most people who use those programs professionally =
or
> at an advanced level were saying 4Gb mostly and some more with XP, Vista =
and
> 7.
>
> Thanks again everyone.
>
> "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
> > Yes, it's just that it runs smoother that way. =A0When Vista first came=
 out I
> > did some testing and you can indeed run it with 512mb or 1gb of memory =
but
> > it's not a truly enjoyable experience. =A0As cheap as memory is these d=
ays one
> > should consider 2gb to be the starting point for either Vista or Window=
s 7.

> > "Brian V" <Bri...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi, Some people on the XP Discussion told me that Widows Vista only r=
eally
> > > runs well if it has 2Gb RAM. I know that the Upgrade advisor states a=
 lot
> > > less, and that the Minimum system requirements is less also.
>
> > > Is this 2Gb need/want true, in what cases, and why? Is it just that V=
ista
> > > runs much smoother on 2 GB RAM?
>
> > > Thank you.
>
> > .

Consider going to 64 bit versions.  Windows Vista / 7 64 bit seems to
work better with at least 4GB.  64 bit versions do not have the 3.25GB
- 3.50GB RAM limit.
0
smlunatick

Help with columns #2
Hi How do I create a worksheet with just 3 columns (A, B, C...) rather than thousands (AA, BB, CC...)? Thanks! Hi - first there's a maximum of 256 columns :-) - You can only use these 3 columns (you can't delete the other columns) - if you like you can hide the other columns. Just select theses columns and goto 'Format - columns - Hide' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Rich wrote: > Hi > > How do I create a worksheet with just 3 columns (A, B, C...) rather > than thousands (AA, BB, CC...)? > > Thanks! See one answer in m.p.e.newusers Please d...

Problems with creating a newsletter

Meeting updates #2

Changing SQL Server for CRM 1.2

Window Redirection?

printing 2 charts on single page

Access 2007 and Vista code problem

Money and Windows Mobile 5.0 Devices
I've got a new Windows Mobile 5.0 device and have found that the PPC Money client for Money 2005 will not sync to it. From http://www.microsoft.com/money/MoneyForHandHeldDevices.mspx it appears Money 2004-6 will not sync but it doesn't mention anything about Money 2007...but I can't find a Windows Mobile Client for 2007. Is there anyway to get any version of Money to sync to a Windows Mobile 5.0 device? Thanks, Don Not at present, except by using third party software such as SPB Finance/ -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org See http://money.mvps.or...

Offline folder problems #2

Windows Server 2008 R2 04-09-10

attaching child ClistCtrl window to resizable parent Dialog
I'm using Visual C++ 7.0 and MFC With the Wizard, I created a Dialog Window [which I made resizable]. I've place two ClistCtrls side by side on the top of the dialog. I'd like to attach the RHS of the rightmost ctrl to the parent dialog so that when I resize the dialog, the listctrl expands. Note that I don't explicitly create the listctrls - this ia all behind the scene. I only send an initial message to each: m_ConfCtrlList.SendMessage(LVM_SETEXTENDEDLISTVIEWSTYLE,0, LVS_EX_FULLROWSELECT|LVS_REPORT|LVS_EX_GRIDLINES ); Thanks, Ihor VC++ doesn't not...

Couldn't Find c:\windows\system32\system.mdw Message
Loaded Access 97 on my new Vista Machine and got the above message when I tried to start Access. How do I fix this ? Vista has more stringent rules about who, and how you can write to the System32 (or Windows for that matter) folder. If you have another machine with and unsecured system.mdw file try to copy it to your new one. If it lets you, you are fine, if not you'll need to work with someone in a Vista newsgroup to figure out what the problem is. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "JWalker" <JWalker...

Receiving Transaction Entry #2

VCard issue #2

2 Domains, 1 Exchange Server

Creating a Macro to Delete Commas #2