Missing printers causing long boot times?

A Vista Business 64-bit was booting fine until an Epson printer decided
that the ink was low, put a two page document into the queue, and never
operated properly since.  We first deleted the printer object,
connected to another printer on another workstation, and were able to
print.  But that failed on the second attempt to print, so we waited
for the refurb Lexmark to arrive.  The Lexmark works fine, prints like
a champ, but the boot still takes forever.

Is there a log that I can look at to determine if time is being lost
while the boot process looks for the old Epson printer of the shared
printer on the other workstation?  Is there a registry key that could
have outdated printer data?

The network is provided by a SBS 2003 installation at SP1.

--
Hollis Paul
Mukilteo, WA  USA

0
Hollis
5/26/2010 6:06:33 PM
windows.vista.hardware_devices 178 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On 5/26/2010 2:06 PM, Hollis Paul wrote:
> A Vista Business 64-bit was booting fine until an Epson printer decided
> that the ink was low, put a two page document into the queue, and never
> operated properly since.  We first deleted the printer object,
> connected to another printer on another workstation, and were able to
> print.  But that failed on the second attempt to print, so we waited
> for the refurb Lexmark to arrive.  The Lexmark works fine, prints like
> a champ, but the boot still takes forever.
>
> Is there a log that I can look at to determine if time is being lost
> while the boot process looks for the old Epson printer of the shared
> printer on the other workstation?  Is there a registry key that could
> have outdated printer data?
>
> The network is provided by a SBS 2003 installation at SP1.
>
> --
> Hollis Paul
> Mukilteo, WA  USA

Many of the Epson printers have several modules that may not have been
removed properly. Depending upon the exact model, a "cleanup" utility
may be available on the Epson support web site. Other models require a
full install/uninstall, driven by software included on the support CD/DVD.
As to registry entries, the first search term to try is epson. I'd print
a text copy of these entries, so that references to "sub entries" are
readable, and thus actionable.
0
Chuck

'Assign Macro' dialog missing in Excel XP
I'm trying to assign a macro to a command button, however the 'Assign Macro' dialog is missing from the context menu when right clicking the button. I have only been to do it when having opened an old worksheet (created in excel 97) with existing command buttons & macros, then the option is there to assign a macro. I have searched the net for a solution however to no avail. I know it is possible since Excel Help states that is the official way to do it. I have office Xp installed with service pack 2. I hope you will be able to help me. Thank you It's possible ...

System tray icon does not appear on XP boot
This is a known problem with XP. Most (but not all) system tray icons are missing after (re)booting. Does anyone know what Avast or Comodo do to ensure that their icons appear in the system tray? Thank you all. "Alexander" <the44secs@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:b0d5ea40-891e-47e4-8de7-933408462a52@s9g2000prg.googlegroups.com... > This is a known problem with XP. Most (but not all) system tray icons > are missing after (re)booting. Does anyone know what Avast or Comodo > do to ensure that their icons appear in the system tray? > > Thank you all. You need...

Can't print and the chart is missing in a new sheet
Here's my problem: I bought my laptop which came with Vista Home and with Office 2007 60 days-trial version. I installed Acrobat Pro and updated to the version 8.0. The Acrobat buttons in the Office applications never worked, so I created my PDFs printing with the "Acrobat PDF Converter" printer. Everything worked fine until November when the Office trial period expired. I started working with OpenOffice without problems (by the way, the Acrobat buttons in OpenOffice did work). Three months later I get sick of OpenOffice and I bought the Office 2007 license. I entered the...

Outlook 2002 missing replys from e-mai
I have a user on Windows 2000 SP4 with Outlook 2002. She has an issue where people will reply to an e-mail she sent to them but she does not see the reply, she can only see the origional e-mail she sent. If she goes online to our IMAP server which outlook uses to view the mail as well, she can see the reply. It seems to be an issue with Outlook not viewing the IMAP mail properly. Strangely this does not happen all the time, only on random e-mails. Any thoughts? ...

Timed recordings
I'm just about to start building my own media PC, which will primarily serve as a receiver and recorder for digital TV - both from satellite and terrestrial. I'm in the UK, but as the UK newsgroup for Media Center is rather quiet, I thought I'd seek help from both groups. I hope you don't mind the cross-posting. I can't remember the correct terminology, but our broadcasters send some sort of control signal along with the broadcast which indicates the precise start and stop times of each programme (this is in addition to the usual programme guide). It i...

database query/names issue, causing excel to be sluggish
I have an issue with an excel worksheet I've created. WorkbookA has "Names" which are used to define drop-down menus in WorksheetA. These "Names" are defined to reference a WorksheetB (also in WorkbookA) which itself is populated by a database query, pulling from another Excel WorkbookB. The logic is that WorkbookB should not be touched by the User, only an Admin, and Workbook A is used by User. The Names in WorkbookA are to prevent incorrect entries. Now that I've set it up, WorkbookA is moving really sluggish, but if I delete all the Names it speeds up again....

Its time for release debugging
Hello. We have moved to release version of our products. I'm new to debugging release version. I guess there is an option to understand the reason for a crash in my application although it is a release version. Whenever there is a crash a pop-up window called "error report content" is displayed with "Send error" or something. I can view the stack on this window but I know nothing about using it. Where can I start from? I need any information on debugging/finding crash reason on release versions of my application. Thanks, Janiv Ratson. Would this crash be happeni...

Time Clock in RMS
We use the time clock feature in RMS and are, for the most part, happy with the results. Some of the issues we have with it are: We really do not want to give all employees that "punch the clock" the ability to sign on to POS but that seems to be a neccessity to use this feature. We would like to be able to attach a message to an employee that will pop-up when that employee attempts to punch in. Messages such as "see store manager when you arrive" or "W4 is due today" would be very helpful in communicating with each employee. Does anyone make a time cloc...

Time Calculation #3

How do I set the printer margins in Publisher?
I'm trying to print a brochure, but I'm having trouble with the left margin. In the design view I can set the margins and layout the graphics and text exactly as I want. But in the print preview, or actually printing, there is about a 3/4" margin on the left. (No problems with the right, top or bottom margins: they are about 1/4" each.) Please do not tell me this is a printer limitation. This problem does NOT occur in Word, Excel or PowerPoint--only in Publisher! (By the way, why doesn't Publisher have the nice drag-n-drop margins that Word and Excel have?) I am no...

Billable time reports
We are just deploying CRM 3.0 for our Marketing Service related company. I have set up the Product Catalog to include Hourly Units with a price list of $75.00 for the Product "Service 1". I have resolved a Service case for an Account and have charged the account 1 hour of billable time. Question: is there a report already in place that shows me the cases (for the month) for Accounts with billable time. Or is there another step I must complete after resolving the case to move this billable time to an Invoice? I have tried advanced find on resolved case which shows me the ca...

Chart sheet causing error
Hi all, I'm having a problem at the last line of this code: For Each ws In Workbooks(sFile).Sheets If ... Then cboSheet.AddItem ws.Name End If Next The problem occurs when I step into a chart sheet, which results in a type mismatch error. Why does that happen how do you handle that? Gustaf You probably have ws defined as a variable of type worksheet. Either change it to Object, or outsort the charts n the code. HTH Bob "Gustaf" <gustafl@algonet.se> wrote in message news:ulMjdDCmKHA.1536@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hi all, &g...

Missing account from Global Address list
I created a couple of accounts today and everything was fine, Until HR told me to delete them, then 2 hours later I was instructed to re-add the accounts. After I added the accounts I noticed that they do not show up in the global address list. Also This happend one other time and that user is not in the global address list either. I have search online and found nothing so I figured maybe someone here could help.. Thanks a million On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 16:15:01 -0700, "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I created a couple of accounts today and everything was...

can you force long lines of text to wrap width of cell?
should i do nothing or choose the wrap text option in the format cells dialog or click wrap text in the edit menu, or right click the cell and select wrap text help? Wrap text in the Format Cells dialog -- HTH RP "excel help" <excel help@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:18081AAF-FD5E-4FF4-BF77-EDFF43B74901@microsoft.com... > should i do nothing or choose the wrap text option in the format cells dialog > or click wrap text in the edit menu, or right click the cell and select wrap > text help? ...

Excel sheet is missing in application
Hi I am not able to open my excel sheet by doubleclicking on it. The excel sheet is missing from the excel application (leaves a gaping hole in the center) with only the menu bar visible. But am able to do the same by running a instance first (from RUN) and then opening it from there. Any way out? Dey Are you sure it's not opening? Maybe it's just off the screen. Try clicking on Window on the toolbar. Do you see your workbook name at the bottom of the list? If yes, try Window|Arrange|Tiled and then resize by hand (and then save it). If it's not really there, do you get...

Missing Graph Functionality
In Office 2003, I used to be able to select the following when formating a data series in a graph: fill effects | shadows This would basically give me shadows on the left/rigt sides, etc. This does not appear to be available in Office 2007. Can I still make this selection? Hi, Are you sure about that selection in 2003. For a column chart the option of a Shadow is available on the Patterns tab. The Fill Effects button displays a dialog with Gradient, Texture, Pattern and Picture. But these are all fill effects and not shadows. Any way in xl2007 you would select the series and then usi...

Excel File in Use Notification Missing??
We are using Windows Server 2000 & several versions of Excel (2000 / XP / 2003). When opening Excel files from the network, SOME users get the Notification that the File is In Use - locked for editing by <user> - with a choice to Open as Read-Only, Notify when avail, or Cancel. The pblm is that NOT EVERYBODY gets this msg - some simply have the file open up with the word (Sharing) in the Title Bar!! When you've got a deskful of work to input you're not always looking at the Title Bar to see if the file is Shared or not. I first thought this was caused by diff vers o...

Creating Labels, Missing Column
I'm trying to create address labels. In my file I have the columns for "Street Address", "City", "State", "Zip Code" and "Country". The street address does not show up in the window to select what info I want on the label. Anyone know how to fix this??? Hi In your table you "may" have IDfield, 1stName, 2ndName, Street Address, City, State, Zip Code and Country. Create a query based on the table. Bring all the fields in the query and create a calculted culumn with something like Capital: Left([1stName],1) Create a new re...

ALOT of fonts are missing from my newly installed Office XP!
I recently installed office xp and after starting up a few documents I was horrified to realise that I had hardly ANY fonts!!! I knew that Publisher would usually give out the most amount of fonts but even this had a very small number of fonts. I know that these programs are supposed to come with a lot more so what can I do to fix it?!!! Is there somewhere specific I can go instead of searching all those sites to find out where to get this and similar fonts or what? Please help!!! Alessandro wrote: > I recently installed office xp and after starting up a few documents I was > ho...

Data population between excel and access
I have a excel user form that collects data and then drops it into an access table. However if the user doesn't complete a field or leaves a field blank then the code comes back with an error. Dim db As DAO.Database Set db = DAO.OpenDatabase("accessdatabase.mdb") ' Open the table Dim rs As DAO.Recordset Set rs = db.OpenRecordset("tblFOI") ' Write the data rs.AddNew rs!area = area_cbo.Text rs!Officer = officer_txt.Text rs!tel = tel_txt.Text rs!Type = type_cbo.Text rs!firstname = firstname_txt.Text rs!lastname = lastna...

Chart MEnu Bar Missing
Occasionally my Excel worksheets will no thave the Chart Menu Bar attached to them but will have them on different worksheets. The Chart Menu Bar is the one with File, Edit View, etc. Is there a reason it is missing and if so how do I return it? Thanks, Ryan You probably havent selected the chart toolbar. If it isnt selected it will only appear when you open a sheet that has a chart on it. But then it will not reappear when you close the sheet and restart Excel. Just open excel, select view\toolbars\chart from the menu and then restart Excel. Should work. Jamie, we are not talkin...

Conversion Of Unix Time
Hi All, I have a field on my excel report which comes as a UnixTime (1235502582).I want this to be in Excel readable format for e.g 24- SEP-2009 21:20.The char is string type I want to use this in a macro,since affer the data is downloaded,i want the code to convert.The data is several thousand rows.How would I make a column reference to call the macro. If I am using a macro like , Public Function UnixTime2DT(lUnixTimeStamp As Long) As Date UnixTime2DT = DateAdd("s", lUnixTimeStamp, #1/1/1970#) End Function how would i call it to a particular column? I tried to call it as .Co...

Time-scale option
I can=B4t set up the time scale x axis of my line chart. If I click automatic options the scale show dates of 1900,=20 but I want to see the real months that are on my table.=20 The format of the table column is dd-mm-yy from 2002 to=20 2004 and I need to see in the chart these months, no 1900. If I type min and max dates, the lines are shrink into the=20 3 first month of 2002, so the don=B4t show the right=20 information, neither.=20 Thank you very much. Hi only some ideas: - are you really using date values in you table? Esp. showing 1900 in your chart indicates there may be a problem with...

How to change appointment time for a series?
When I open a series I can not find a way to change the appointment time. When the appointment time changes for a series event, how do I change the appointment time for the series? Outlook 2003 Do you mean a "recurring appointment"? -- Kathleen Orland Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.howto-outlook.com/ "Bryan" wrote: > When I open a series I can not find a way to change the appointment time. > > When the appointment time changes for a series event, how do I change the ...

On Hand Quantity Point in Time
Ok, so I have figured out how to make a crystal report generate a on hand quantity for an item at any given time in the past. I have that now as a sub report and transfered the value in a variable to the main report to to perform other logic tasks but it has some issues. I can not sum or count any calculations for the report in total due to the nature in which the calculations are done so what I really need is someway for the SQL server to provide that answer. That is, given item X and date Y what was the quantity on hand on that day based on the sum of calculations and the adjusted be...