Missing CD/DVD Drive

Hi,

I have an Acer machine running Vista Home Premium with SP2.  The machine is
now two years old has been working fine until recently.  I am finding that
the DVD drive does not appear in My Computer or Device Manager when the
machine is restarted after being in Sleep mode.  The drive can be restored by
doing a Shut Down.

I have found a few similar problems in this forum but the reports were not
exactly the same so I am reluctant to follow the suggested solution of
editing the Registry in case it does more harm than good.

Any ideas please?
windows.vista.hardware_devices 178 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Graham

See the following

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"grahamt" <grahamt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have an Acer machine running Vista Home Premium with SP2.  The machine is
> now two years old has been working fine until recently.  I am finding that
> the DVD drive does not appear in My Computer or Device Manager when the
> machine is restarted after being in Sleep mode.  The drive can be restored by
> doing a Shut Down.
>
> I have found a few similar problems in this forum but the reports were not
> exactly the same so I am reluctant to follow the suggested solution of
> editing the Registry in case it does more harm than good.
>
> Any ideas please?

0
Peter
5/24/2010 1:07:13 AM
Hi Peter

I've tried following the link, deleted the registry entries and checked for
newer drivers but it hasn't made any difference.  The machine still loses the
DVD drive if it is put into sleep mode.  It works correctly if it is put into
hibernate mode.

Any more ideas, please?

Graham.

"Peter Foldes" wrote:

> Graham
>
> See the following
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116
>
> --
> Peter

> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "grahamt" <grahamt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an Acer machine running Vista Home Premium with SP2.  The machine is
> > now two years old has been working fine until recently.  I am finding that
> > the DVD drive does not appear in My Computer or Device Manager when the
> > machine is restarted after being in Sleep mode.  The drive can be restored by
> > doing a Shut Down.
> >
> > I have found a few similar problems in this forum but the reports were not
> > exactly the same so I am reluctant to follow the suggested solution of
> > editing the Registry in case it does more harm than good.
> >
> > Any ideas please?
>
> .

CD won't play 12-14-09
I'm trying to play an audio CD on my work computer. This is the first time I've done it. I'm getting visuals (the weird fractal things on the Windows Media Player screen) but no audio. I have been able to get audio from playing videos on the internet before. I tried downloading the AC3 codec, no success. Any help is appreciated. On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 10:21:01 -0800, Ginny <Ginny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm trying to play an audio CD on my work computer. This is the first time >I've done it. I'm getting visuals (the weird frac...

Long narration for CD
I have finished a 200+ slide Presentation (family history) using PowerPoint 2003, file size 119MB. It is for packaging on CD and showing on other computers. Not for the web. I want to include on the CD a voice narration, which I guess will take around 300 minutes to read out from my text. 1. Will the narration play on other computers if I link it to the slides (not embed it)? 2. Do you think I'll be able to fit the whole thing onto a CD, using normal mike/sound settings? 3. If not, how can I put the Presentation on a flash drive, or do I need special software to do that? ...

Moving Files To New Hard Drive
I just upgraded the hard drive in my girlfriends computer. It had 80GB and I added an additional 250GB drive. The OS is XP Home 2002. How do I go about moving _*everything*_ to the larger hard drive? "ampig" wrote: > > I just upgraded the hard drive in my girlfriends computer. It had 80GB > and I added an additional 250GB drive. The OS is XP Home 2002. How do I > go about moving _*everything*_ to the larger hard drive? > > Use the cloning software that came with the new disk to clone the old disk to the new. Everything is copied to the n...

External Hard Drive not visible My Computer
I have WIN Vista 64 bit. My external hard drive shows in Device Manager and Computer Management, but it is not visible in My Computer. Can anyone help as I can't back up my computer. Thank you. richn13 Read your other post, allready answered "ichn13" <ichn13@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D12BF8DF-4BD1-4AAB-B5BC-DB7485B8009E@microsoft.com... >I have WIN Vista 64 bit. My external hard drive shows in Device Manager and > Computer Management, but it is not visible in My Computer. Can anyone > help > as I > can't back ...

Missing date in preview pane

2008 Backup USB drive rotation. Safely remove Hardware?
A new replacement SBS 2008 installation. Two USB portable drives as backup. Plan is to rotate weekly. One on-site, one off-site. Changeover on a Friday by a non technical office worker. Previously a daily tape change (SBS2003) was possible, and simple with no "console" involvement. Are there "safely remove hardware" issues when the drive is swapped? Just change it regardless? Or is there a way / need to automate "disconnection" on a Fri am before the changeover is accomplished? TIA Andy On Nov 22, 6:16=A0am, "Andyba" <an...

Copying backup file back on hard drive and Outlook using them
I thought my computer crashed. In fact, the fact is I had corrupted Window files and the place I took my computer to be repaired, they had to restore my computer back to the point when I first purchased it (August 2008-Toshiba). Before they did a restore I asked them if they could try to find and copy my pst files (contacts is what I need the most but would like my calendar also). They were able to locate them before they did the restore. They copied them back on my computer but not in Office. I went to where they copied my files and did a copy and paste into the Outlook f...

Missing system password table
Before I saw the solutions in the newsgroup for resetting the system password, I deleted the SY02400 hoping to get a chance to re-setup the system password. Now I get the message "System password file is missing." I've tried recreating it with File > Maintenance > SQL create table, but no luck. I also tried the SQL script "update sy02400 set PASSWORD = convert (binary, '')", but with no luck. I'm using MSDE. I can't restore because I get the missing file message when I choose restore. Make a backup of the dynamics database and then try ...

publisher art cd's and the art & photo's button
I do not know how to locate the Art & Photo's button to access graphics. I do not know how to open the two Art CD's that are provided with the pro publisher deluxe 21. thank you sue sue stu <sue stu@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I do not know how to locate the Art & Photo's button to access > graphics. > > I do not know how to open the two Art CD's that are provided with the > pro publisher deluxe 21. There is no such Microsoft product as Pro Publisher Deluxe 21. Microsoft Publisher (standard) is included with...

How to print CD/DVD labels on standard two-per-sheet paper?
Every time I download templates to print CD/DVD labels, I see only one label on a small sheet of paper. When I go to the office supply store, I only have the option of buying paper with the standard two-label design. How do I create and edit CD labels where I can work with both onscreen and then print both at once (different top from bottom) in such a way that everything is aligned with the cutout sticker labels on the page? Anytime you need to edit both halves of your label you need to setup the page manually. Most CD/DVD templates will print two to a page. Select the label you want...

error message related to opening xls documents on network drive
We have a problem regarding MS Excel 2003 w. SP2 running Windows XP w. sp2. There is a network drive in our network accessed by roughly 15-20 users. Users sometimes experience getting a rather interesting error message. The error message states (pardon the rough translation from Norwegian) "Cannot access ALL fields - filename" This error message persists, but not permanently. If the user tries to open the document a few more times it eventually succeeds, and the document opens. Normally after three tries, sometimes more. The error message is exclusive to neither user nor computer....

Missing some games and accessories
I somehow have managed to lose some games and accessories on my computer. I don't have the installation disc anymore. I have tried previous suggestions posted on this site to no avail. I do seem to have spider and wordpad. pinball has a screen that pops up then goes away. But no paint or calculator, the things I use most often. Somebody please help me! My daughter is driving me nuts wanting to use the paint. I have Windows XP. On Feb 24, 8:36=A0am, iryam5 <iry...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I somehow have managed to lose some games and accessories on my comput...

How do i download outlook to a CD
When i export it goes in to excel.I cant get it to stay in E-Mail form. >-----Original Message----- >When i export it goes in to excel.I cant get it to stay >in E-Mail form. >. >When you export it, you need to choose the PST format. ...

missing PRORET.msi file.
I am trying to install the office service pack 2 and it asks for the XP Office disk to retrieve PRORET. I've never installed XP Office, just Office 2000 and I can't find PRORET.msi on ANY of my disks or computer. Another software requires service pack 2 to be installed before it will let me install it, so I'm stuck. Is there a way to get the file? thanks Kevin ...

Can write onto a DVD but not read from DVD: "The device is not ready"
After having worked successfully for a couple of years with my current DVD drive (recorder) there are now problems since a few days. I can write (=burn) as usually onto a DVD. But when I want to read the content of such a DVD nothing is listed. The drive letter is shown as usual in WinExplorer. When I click on it the DVD seems to be empty. Nothing is shown. dir E: in Command prompt shows permanently "The device is not ready" even after 30 minutes! When I insert the same DVD in another computer (with WinXP) then the 4 files are shown without problems. So whats...

How to auto launch an Excel worksheet from CD-ROM?
If my Excel worksheet is on a CD-ROM, how do I make it launch automatically on the screen as soon as the user pops in the the CD-ROM in his drive ? -- Juancho general instructions for making Autorun CD are found here. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=how+to+make+an+autorun+cd&aq=2&oq=how+to+make+an+Auto juancho_vito wrote: > If my Excel worksheet is on a CD-ROM, how do I make it launch automatically > on the screen as soon as the user pops in the the CD-ROM in his drive ? > ...

Install office 2003, have key, no disc drive
I have a netbook that doesn't have a cd drive. I own Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003 and the key, and want to install it on the netbook. I can't download it from Microsoft because it's no longer available. I read on the internet that it could be copied to a thumb drive and installed, but when I tried that, after I entered the key, a message said that it was corrupted. Unfortunately, I don't have an external cd drive either. Any help would be appreciated since you have a usb port, you might try using an external dvd/cd drive. -- db·´...

Help file seems to be missing!
My help file seems to be missing! When I access help in Word 2007 or Excel 2007 I get an xml listing, not the help file. It appears to be looking for files in the Temporary Internet Folder. Any idea how I could get my help back? Below is the first few lines of what is displayed: <?xml version="1.0" ?> <?xml-stylesheet type='text/xsl' href='File://C:\Documents and Settings\UserLocation\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\MsOfficeHelp12\MOH1D.tmp\toc.xsl'?> - <assistance namespace="WINWORD" UseOnlineContent="1"&g...

How to access password protected shared network drives while traversing the dialog created by using SHBrowseForFolder()
Hi, i am using SHBrowseForFolder() function to traverse through the local system drives and shared network drives. But if i select a shared network drive which is password protected it does not ask for username and password. Due to which i was unable to traverse the shared drive. Can anybody tell me how to unable this facility or how to capture the double click of mouse on the tree shown in Browse For Folder dialog. Thanks ...

Network drives unavailable after password change
Hello, We use SBS 2003 Server SP2 and I have a policy set to obligate the users to change their passwords after 180 days. With some it works perfect, but with others something strange happens. When they change their password, net work drives and printers and outlook doesn't work. Normally when you enter the new password once it should all work again. But when I try to connect to the server by dnsname it gives that user to enter username and password. So I fill in domain\username following with the new password and then it comes back again saying something is wrong and tr...

Mail Goes missing after 1 day
Hi, I was wondering if anybody had seen this before: On a Windows XP Machine Running Outlook XP. Mail in the inbox dissappears after one day whether it has been read or not. I looked in all the other folders in case it was moved for some reason, but no luck. This doesn't happen when I check my mail remotely through the web at the college here, but when I use outlook on my computer it doesnt stay unless I move it to another folder. I looked in the settings to see if there was anything to change to prevent this, but I found nothing. The Admin has been looking too but found no r...

It was a good ride
The final insult they had left to deliver... Q: When will this transition be complete? A: Microsoft is closing newsgroups in phases and anticipates completing this by Fall 2010. Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Communities http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx -- ..NET: It's About Trust! http://vfred.mvps.org "Karl E. Peterson" <karl@exmvps.org> wrote in message news:OpSyRZ96KHA.356@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > The final insult they had left to deliver... > > Q: When will this transition be complete? > &...

Excel 2k3: Workbook on network drive, when save creates new file
When we open up a shared workbook and enter data into it. Everything works fine but once you save it the original still contains the information but in the folder on the network drive that the original is located a new file is created. This new file is the same size as the original document. It didn't start doing this until it was moved from our old 2000 Server to our new 2k3 server. Can anyone help? Does that newly created workbook have a name of 8 characters (with no extension)? If yes... When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8 characte...

Tasks missing from screen (part 2)
My e-mail is cagey156@aol.com. Thanks ...

Microsoft Office Word Document is missing from Insert Object dialog
From the Word 2007 ribbon, clicked Insert, Object, Insert Object. Received Object dialog. On Create tab of dialog, scrolled through list of available Object Types. Microsoft Office Word xxx types are missing. Microsoft Office Excel, PowerPoint, etc. are there. Color me confused. Doesn't happen on all boxes here in-plant, but does on some. Hoping that someone can educate me with respect to: 1. What caused the problem, and 2. How to correct it. thanks, david You don't have, Insert | Object | Microsoft Word Document in your list? -- Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP &...