Ide Hard Drive Data Recovery

I have an Ide internal hard drive I replaced in my computer and I need one
of those devices that you plug the drive into and then plug a USB into your
computer so you can access the data on the old drive. What is that device
called.

Walt

0
Walter
5/3/2010 7:45:07 AM
windows.vista.hardware_devices 178 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"Walter Goldschmidt" <wgold@woh.rr.com> wrote in message
> I have an Ide internal hard drive I replaced in my computer and I need one
> of those devices that you plug the drive into and then plug a USB into
> your computer so you can access the data on the old drive. What is that
> device called.
>
> Walt

External Hard drive enclosure.  Google it for many sources.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=92&name=External-Enclosures
is one but again many more and possibly cheaper than neweggs.

Ensure that it will accept IDE (or PATA) drive, not SATA drive which is a
different interface with the drive.

0
LVTravel
5/3/2010 8:17:42 AM
"Walter Goldschmidt" <wgold@woh.rr.com> wrote in message
>I have an Ide internal hard drive I replaced in my computer and I need one
>of those devices that you plug the drive into and then plug a USB into your
>computer so you can access the data on the old drive. What is that device
>called.

USB to IDE adapter.  Several variations exist.  The safest being to put the
drive into an external enclosure.  The quick-and-dirty route being to use a
bare adapter that just plugs into the drive itself, along with a power
supply.  Typically around $10 on fleabay.

0
Bill
5/5/2010 12:47:41 AM
Thanks, I got an external enclosure.

Walt

"Bill Kearney" <wkearney99#at#hotmail#dot#com> wrote in message

> "Walter Goldschmidt" <wgold@woh.rr.com> wrote in message
>>I have an Ide internal hard drive I replaced in my computer and I need one
>>of those devices that you plug the drive into and then plug a USB into
>>your computer so you can access the data on the old drive. What is that
>>device called.
>
> USB to IDE adapter.  Several variations exist.  The safest being to put
> the drive into an external enclosure.  The quick-and-dirty route being to
> use a bare adapter that just plugs into the drive itself, along with a
> power supply.  Typically around $10 on fleabay.

0
Walter

customizing contact data where is the master?
somehow i have a "1" in the area code master field but can't get it to hold the real area code. any idea where i go in the program to change the basic of the contact record? sometime i get soooo tired... *sigh* thanks ...

no data in "To" column, IMAP sent email folder
There is no data displayed in the "To" column until the email has been re-opened and then it appears. We are using IMAP folders & this applies to the Sent Email folder. Does anyone know a fix for this? In message <<056b01c3aa37$c305b440$a101280a@phx.gbl>> "Tim" <tpienaar@bigpond.com> did ramble: >There is no data displayed in the "To" column until the >email has been re-opened and then it appears. We are using >IMAP folders & this applies to the Sent Email folder. >Does anyone know a fix for this? If you set Outlook to down...

Excel 2007 texture fill of chart data series columns
I need a way to use fill type to distinguish columns in a column chart for a black and white publication. Ideally, this would be the traditional horizontal, vertical or diagonal stripes or dots or checks. The only fill options I seem to get in 2007 Excel are shading, colors, or "textures", none of which really fulfill my needs. Is there any way to access the traditional stripes or dots from previous versions of Excel? Hi, The UI for that feature was removed in xl2007 but this addin provides a method of doing pattern fills. http://www.andypope.info/charts/patternfills.htm ...

How to Trap Rogue Data ?
I have an application that generates hourly system performance logfiles which I graph to look for long term trending. The metric I use gradually varies from 1% to about 15% depending on various external factors - such as time of day and day of week. My problem is that the logfiles sometime hiccup and generate bad data resulting is huge spikes in my curve. I have trapped for the big ones > 20% in my source data but I need something smarter so I can catch large deviations from the curve. Unfortunately I do not have the option to fix the application that generated the bad data. Are ther...

Cleaning all data from Money 2002
I want to "start over" using Money 2002 or clean all the data infomration from Money. I tried uninstalling it and then reinstalling it but all the old data is "saved" and reloads. How can I completely remove all the data that was previously installed so I can make a fresh start using Money 2002? The data is held in typically My Money.mny. Anyway look for a file *.mny and delete it. Alternatively to keep it for reference, rename the *.mny file and in Money use File > New. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support....

Regular data file imports
We have a General Ledger file that is beining imported by Users on dialy basis into excel from a text file. The column widths are identical every day. Currently the Import wizard is used on a daily basis to split the dat into the selected columns. How can I have the file automatically complete the format when the fil is opened or after the file is opened. The file will have a different name each day. Is there an easy way or will a macro have to be written. Thanks ca -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I receive a 4,000+ line bank statement each month in text format and h...

Search through Data
I have created a drop down list for my data. Is there a way i can make it so i can search through the data in the drop down list without scrolling Try Debra's nice coverage on "autocomplete" for data validation at her: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal10.html Data Validation -- Combo box -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdemechanik --- "adz" wrote: > I have created a drop down list for my data. Is there a way i can make it so > i can search through the data in the drop down list without scrolling ...

Locate Physical Drive Signature and it associated Logical Drive Na
Hi I can determine physical disk signatures by : gwmi Win32_DiskDrive | Foreach-Object { $_.Signature } I can determine logical drives by : gwmi Win32_LogicalDisk | Foreach-Object { $_.DeviceID } But I'm not able to get my head around WMI ASSOCIATIVE CLASSES. How do I associate these classes so that for each PHYSICAL drive I can easily list it's signature and logical drive names? I have this vbscript but cannot convert it :( (I need alot more powershell practise) wscript.echo "Disk Drive Signatures" wscript.echo "====================="...

Pivot Table -Want to display field rather than preform claculation in Data box
Is there a way in a pivot table to simply display a value of a field in the Data box rather than perform a calculation on that value. I don't want to count it, sum it. I just want it displayed. Thanks! Hi if you only have one filed for a row/column item SUM would display that value. So I'm not sure what you're exactly trying to do. A pivot table is used for the aggregation of values -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Vincent wrote: > Is there a way in a pivot table to simply display a value of a field > in the Data box rather than perform a calculation on that v...

Getting Data from Web pages
Hi All I have a task involving getting house council tax information from a web page. Basically it involves entering a postcode followed by the pricing band then council. The data is presented within the page and I copy and paste the relevant part to notepad before importing into Excel.Is it possible to automate this, I am looking for someone to point me in the right direction and I will hopefully research the rest. TIA Karen Karen What is the web address?....this should help us see if there is anything that can be automated -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England n...

Corrupt exchange database recovery
Hey all not in a state of emergeny but doing research incase one develops. Can any one give me some good links on how to recover a currupt exchange database? Im perparing a disaster recovery plan so any help is appreciated. Thanks, CaptianWeasel "captianweasel" <captianweasel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hey all not in a state of emergeny but doing research incase one develops. >Can any one give me some good links on how to recover a currupt exchange >database? Im perparing a disaster recovery plan so any help is appreciated. Try http://www.micr...

Suggested drive config for 2003
I've got a new server to install Exchange 2003 Standard on (first one in our organization, and my first time with Exchange). I've got a 3.0GHz Xeon with 4GB RAM and two 300GB disks in a RAID 1 config. Should I set up a relatively small C: partition for the OS and apps and leave the majority for a mailbox store? Is there a significant performance increase by doing so? Our organization currently has about 50 users... Its preferred to have the OS, Databases and Transaction logs on separate disks for best performance. In your scenario, I would create two partitions C: and D: and ha...

How do I copy data (word) into respective cells when the data bei.
I have word data in 2 or more collums (not cells). When I copy and paste that data into a cell (word or excel) all that data goes into one cell. How do I get the data into the respective cells without going back and cut from one cell to another? Hi one method that i've used before to do this may work for you, in Word, select the columns then click on the INSERT TABLE icon on the toolbar - if you're lucky the columns will convert to two tables side by side then select the left hand side table (it might also select the right it doesn't matter) then click on the split cells ico...

CRM Mailbox User on the 3.0 Demo Drive ?
Does anyone know what the CRM System Mailbox User is for the 3.0 demo drive? -Luke ...

Realtime Exchange Mirroring for Disaster Recovery
I am looking to configure an offsite DR network, and would like to mirror an existing Exchange server at the remote site. We are currently running Exchange 2000, but would upgrade to 2003 if need be. Is there any way to accomplish realtime mirroring of Exchange between two servers over an IP link? Jeremy Jeremy, Realtime mirroring is not possible with any version of Exchange. The closest alternative would be to run Exchange in a clustered environment. This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights. LynneW@Online.MICROSOFT.COM (Lynne Williams [MSFT]) wr...

external data & excel
Hello everybody. I have database in excel and in linked with access table via getexternal data|linlk. I works well. My problem is when i copy the two files into another system it is giving some error. saying that link fine is missed. Thanks to all for the suggestions in advance. Regards Sridhar In the client database try clicking Tools/Database Utilities/Linked Table Manager. Then click Select All to select all tables and put a tick in "Always prompt for new location". Then click OK and navigate to the database containing your tables. It may refresh all in one go or ...

Data aggregation with multiple workbooks
I am currently setting up a workbook. In this workbook I have a data input sheet where people would fill out information. Multiple people will be filling out this worksheet. What is the best way to aggregate the data among multiple workbooks. -- Kad On May 10, 2:39=A0pm, Kadco <Ka...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am currently setting up a workbook. In this workbook I have a data inpu= t > sheet where people would fill out information. Multiple people will be > filling out this worksheet. What is the best way to aggregate the data am= ong > multiple w...

about recovery storage group... and the ntbackup
I am afraid I am in danger.. I am using win2003, I got to restore some deleted email that is in a tape backup. the backup was made by ntbackup but I just found I make the backup wrongly... I only backed up the .edb and .stm under program files/exchange folder, NOT the exchange catalog.. So, what should I do after made a "recovery storage group"? Some guide said I should do a restore with ntbackup to the "original location"... but... in my case... it's the actual file running database location, right? would that just corrupt my running database, which is in producti...

Filter data based on multiple columns
I would like to see the unique values from column A, where Column B is a max() for that value in A. For example, in Column A there are several 1's, I would like to see the max of column B, where column A is a 1, and the same thing repeated for all the other unique values in column A. INPUT: A B 1 07/22/05 1 08/26/05 1 10/11/05 2 11/04/05 2 01/04/06 2 07/22/05 3 08/26/05 4 10/11/05 4 11/04/05 The output I'm looking for would look like this: A B 1 10/11/05 2 01/04/06 3 08/26/05 4 11/04/05 Try a Pivot Table: First, make sure your table has column headings (exampe: A1: MyNumber, B...

Disguising data entries
I am using MS Excel 2000 and Windows 2000. My spreadsheet requires users to enter an ID before they can access the info it holds. But when they type the ID in, it is visible to to client they are working with, which is not very secure. I thought I could format the cell as a password so that when the ID is typed in only asterisks would show, but this does not seem to be possible. Is there a solution to my problem please? HTH Wicked Wizard AFAIK it's not possible to do it directly in a worksheet cell, but it is possible to do this with a textbox on a userform. Set the textbox p...

MOVING EMAIL BETWEEN DRIVES
I'm replacing my hard drive, which has Office 2003 and XP Pro, for a larger one. I will install a fresh copy of XP Pro and Office 2003 with most of the updates. My wife and I use Outlook for our mail under separate user accounts. After the new drive is running how does one transfer all the accumulated mail from the first drive, I assume this is possible? I have no idea where it's stored or if it is transferable. Upon completion I plan to delete the present C partition and use it for storage. TYIA Your emails are probably in a Personal Folders File (a .pst file). Open Outlook and go ...

Importing data into CRM 09-06-04
We initially implemented CRM about 6 months ago. Since then, we have received approximately 3 lists with a total of about 4,000 contacts and accounts from various sources. I would like to import this data but there doesn't seem to be a good way to do so. If I import using the import wizard, I lose a great deal of valuable data by the time the data gets to its final destination (contact or account tables). In addition, many of the records I would like to import are updates or duplicates. How is it possibly useful to have an import function that cannot check for duplicates or ...

crm does not get data in regular time periods
Hi Everyone, CRM does not get any data from our sql server machine around every 10 to 20 minutes. Sql Server times out trying to send the data. This has been happening ever since we changed a users business unit and changed the users properties ie (roles) through the active directory. When I go to the event viewer This error message coinsides with the time crm is not getting data. Error: Some security descriptors could not be adjusted after a privilege change. -2147217871 (0x80040E31) SOurce:MSCRMSecurityService EventId: 6148 The numbers above are the code for sql server timing out...

Problems with data files/*.pst import/Contacts
Problem: Contacts File shows up empty. Address Book email names and addresses does show up properly. Background: Previously was using Outlook 2003 Pro on Windows XP Home. Had an increasing number of weird “buggy” problems in various applications, so finally decided to upgrade OS to Windows XP Pro by installing over XP Home as an alternative to re-formatting the hard drive and/or hacking the registry. (I’m pretty sure I was having registry issues). The new OS loaded successfully and I began re-installation of frequently-used software, including Office. Mistakenly installed Office ...

collect rows of damaged data
Hi, I have to repair overflowed column contents in a SQL Server 2005 database. I would like to write a C++ program (with OLEDB) for fix the problem (on future databases also). I had found http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923247 but the solution does not work on my environment. There is a double precision floating point column ('float' in SQL Server), The query (rewrited to new object names) what should show the damaged rows does not work. SELECT IDBilder, Im_IDMeasurement FROM Bilder WHERE (Im_MicXPos <> 0.0) AND (Im_MicXPos < 2.23E-308 OR Im_MicXPos > ...