External Hard Drives

I have been advised that it might be more advantageous for me to back up my
files on an external hard drive instead of on 5 or 6 DVD's. How do I go
about determining the capacity, quality and type of hardware needed? Can
someone point me in the right direction/

Many Thanks!

0
Gene
6/2/2010 2:53:45 PM
windows.vista.hardware_devices 178 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Most systems have USB ports.......buy an External HD in a case with a USB
connection.
The amount of Data that you back up determines the size of the
drive.......or just buy the
largest you can afford.

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

"Gene L." <Camelotscc@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> I have been advised that it might be more advantageous for me to back up
> my files on an external hard drive instead of on 5 or 6 DVD's. How do I go
> about determining the capacity, quality and type of hardware needed? Can
> someone point me in the right direction/
>
> Many Thanks!

0
peter
6/2/2010 3:37:12 PM
OK Makes sense to me. Thank you for your reply.
Gene L.
0
Gene

Found it: How to map logical drive to network drive name
Please disregard previous post. I found the solution in an earlier post: From: Adrian (AndersonAdrian@hotmail.com) Subject: Converting a mapped drive path to UNC View this article only Newsgroups: microsoft.public.vc.mfc Date: 2000/04/24 It works, but man...is this ugly code country or what!...:) ...

DBX on mapped drive
Hello, Users in our domain are getting an OE error: 0x800C013B from time to time. I know, I know, sent item corruption and all. I have recreated all dbx's many times already, but it does not fix the problem. We use schema where users maiboxes are stored in servers mapped drive and if I move mailboxes to local machine, OE starts to work fine again. When I move them back, it works until some big attach comes to mailserver and when OE starts to pull that mail, I get the same error again. Outlook Express version 6.0 -- Pawel Rutkowski 1) Outlook Express questions go to: microsoft.p...

Date conversions....Excel thinking too hard?
We have many programs (Access, SAP, etc.), that when they try to export to Excel, Excel always tries to convert our part numbers into dates. For instance, we have a part number, 1944-1-5, that needs to be exported to Excel as a text value, 1944-1-5, not converted to a date, like 1/5/1944. And no, putting quotes around it is not practical, since we have thousands of part numbers. I have successfully exported from Access using the TransferSpreadsheet method in a macro or VBA (instead of the standard "File | Export..." menu selection) without the date conversion occuring. Ho...

how to recover files from drive C after it is reformatted.
I had had my computer reformatted because it was so slow. Not knowing, the IT personnel did not backup copy the files from drive C. My outlook files was there, now I could not get hold all of my previous e-mails. (outlook.pst) Is it possible to recover those files after my pc was reformatted? You would have to talk to a data recovery expert "Ian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:96c401c49706$61481b50$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I had had my computer reformatted because it was so slow. > Not knowing, the IT personnel did not backup copy the &...

Problem with drive/network paths in formulas
Hi there, I have a few worksheets that as part of their equations they reference other files on the company network. I have found though that sometimes the path coming up is from the drive mapping (i.e. G:\SALES\etc) and other times it is coming up with the full network path (i.e. \\SERVER\SHARE\SALES\etc). When it is coming up with the network path the formula then fails. Any ideas? ...

Change drive in Exchange Cluster
Hi, Sorry for the long post, trying to make sure I have everything Background: Windows 2003 Cluster Exchange 2003 Cluster, singl;e virtual server in Active/Passive config (3 node cluster) Additional SRS server Exchange 5.5 server Single site, single Org When the Exchange cluster was installed (new resource created), the Data path was configured as M:\Exchsrvr (located on shared SAN as physical disk) The server is currently not live (only has test users, public folder replicas, not primary RUS) It has been decided that they wish to remove Exchange from the M: drive and change the drive ...

How to protect the query use for a Pivot that uses 'Get External D
I'm geting external data for a Pivot Table using the 'Get External Data' option, this works fine and retrieves the information from a SQL 2000 database view. In order to don't retrieve "all" the records, I use a filter (ie. where Company equal to Microsoft), that way the User only sees that amount of data that he is supposed to see. The problem I have is that a power User that knows excel will be able to edit/remove that filter and see "all" data. Of course I can create different database views (ie. one for each filter) and apply proper access right...

2004 Microsoft Office Test Drive
Does anyone know if you can re-activate the Microsoft Office 2004 test drive that comes pre-installed on new iMac G5s? I never used the test drive during the first 30 days and they now say it has expired. Is there an easy way to reactivate it to avoid having to download a new test drive. Thanks :) Not as far as I know....you should also read the small print before downloading, there may be some way that the program recognizes a Test Drive has already been on the computer. On 3/26/05 8:59 AM, "Paula" wrote: > Does anyone know if you can re-activate the Microsoft Office 2...

Driving Me Nuts
Hi: Posted earlier about an issue with a leftover public folder hierarchy from 5.5 migration and now this is driving me nuts. I just want to get rid of the entire PF tree but cannot set permissions on any folders or delete them. Shows owner as blank. I fear deleting the entire PF store because of the free/busy used for calendaring. What can I do to whack these things already. Thanks Hi, Download pfdavadmin (from Microsoft) and set the desired permissions from this program. Leif "Joe" <a@a.com> wrote in message news:OU7E$SKnGHA.4788@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi...

Putting Microsoft Money 2006 Application on a Thumb Drive
Hello Does any know how to put Microsoft Money 2006 application and data file on a Thumb drive to use on any computer? Also what size Thumb Drive would you need? -- Thanks Inquiring Minds In microsoft.public.money, Inquiring Minds wrote: >Hello > > Does any know how to put Microsoft Money 2006 application and data file >on a Thumb drive to use on any computer? Also what size Thumb Drive would >you need? No. However people have reported successfully putting the data file on a USB flash drive. For the data file, you would want to go for speed. 256 MB up to 2 GB w...

MS CRM reading external database
Hi guys, If I have some transactional records sitting in an external database (outside of the MS CRM database), how can I: - create new fields in say, Opportunities, and have these fields read dynamically from this external database? - or alternatively, create a new table in the MS CRM database, have these new fields in Opportunities referenced/read from this new table? I can add new tables into the MS CRM database through Enterprise Manager, but Deployment Manager doesn't seem to be able to detect this new table. Urgently need input on this. Appreciate any reply at all! Thanks and ch...

External Data to be used as in a pull down menu in Excel2003
I am trying create a pulldown list on a worksheet that gets its data from another workbook. However whatever I try Excel says that you cannot use data from any source other than hte active sheet. Microsoft seem to imply that this should be possible but I've tried their solution http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP052022151033.aspx but at the end excel again complains. Does anyone have any ideas as I do not want to storethe lists on the active sheet as this sheet will be used by an automation tool and I don't want any extraneous data -- Message posted via http://www.offi...

Combining Spreadsheets easy or hard
Hi Hopefully someone can help me with a query. I have around 30 spreadsheets, each of which has only 1 sheet. I would like to combine them to produce 1 spreadsheet with 30 sheets. These are all audit questions, so whilst they do look similar the question sets do vary as do the number of questions within each spreadsheet. I'm not trying to combine data or anything like that, just produce a single document. For ease of usage. Thanks in advance, any pointers gratefully received. Andy Hi Andy Just for future reference, the terminology is that you have 30 W...

CDRW drive won't recognize changed disks
I'm working on a system built around an AOpen motherboard with an AMD CPU & an LG CDRW drive. It has 1.2GB RAM and WinXP Pro w/SP3. The problem is with the CDRW drive. Boot the system, put a disk in the drive and it will auto-play. Remove the first disk and put in another disk - any disk - and the drive will not auto-play the second disk. Double clicking on the CD icon in My Computer will bring up a dialog box asking which program to use to run the disk. The disk label displayed in My Computer continues to read as the label for the first disk, and won't change with...

Pivot Table and External Data
Hi I am using excel 2002. Our company has just converted to SAP and I am attempting to set up Templates containing Pivot Tables. I created a Template using SAP data, cleared the data while leaving the Headers, located the cursor in cell A2 that contained the SAP data and saved the Template. When I run SAP and tell it to populate the Pivot Table, it correctly opens the Template but no data is transferred. Looking at Excel, the External Data Toolbar is greyed out except for Refresh All. I suspect I have missed a step in setting up the Template but don't know what. Tha...

If I don't have children open I get #REF! where external links are
I have a parent workbook that points to cells in 5 children workbooks. They are all saved in the same directory. Excel is requiring me to have all children open when I open the parent, or it gives #REF. If I open the children, all values are updated. This occurs whether I select "Don't Update" or "Update" external links. I am using Excel 2003. I saw Jim Rech's registery entry - but that will only work on my computer. This parent workbook is going to be posted on a website for other users to view. Could this be a setting in "Options"? It was...

Newbie- Subtask duration not driving main task duration
Just started with Project 2007 last week and I already have an issue! Let's say I create a task, then put some subtasks under it (indented). If I put in a duration for one of the subtasks at 5 days, the blue bar for the subtask extends 5 days, but the main task stays at the default 1 day. It doesn't matter if I open a new project, open a project someone else sends me, etc., same thing happens. However, if I send my Project to someone else, everything looks as it should. I assume I have some kind of formatting or filtering issue, but I'm not experienced enough in p...

Changing "External Data" DSN Details to point to different server
I've a number of spreadsheets that retrieve external data from a SQL Server database. (These were written using the wizard invoked by Data > Get External Data > New Database Query ). The database has been moved to a new server (which has a different name). The DSN for the PC has been changed to point to the correct location (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Data Sources) but the spreadsheet still looks in the old location. If the Microsoft Query had been saved (as a dqy file) before returning the data to excel, I could modify this with Notepad to correct the...

Macro open a file in any drive/directory
Hello, I'm tryign to do a macro that will open a file. I want it to bring up the Open File dialog, so that users can search the file they want. Example, the file might be in any drive and one user might call the file differently, so need to be able for users to open the file. I know there'' GetFile code, but can't figure right coding. please advise any help. thank you, juan To show the file>open window use Application.Dialogs(xlDialogOpen).Show -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Juan" <jhernan562@aol.com> wrote in message news:00c601c3dc5e$45ef40d0$a401...

Info about external file on a cell on Excel
I want to write into a cell in Excel informations about external files. Something like, the create date, or the dimension in bytes or Mbytes. How can't i do this thing. Please help me with a mail at totex@assist.ro. With all my regards, Laurentiu Galusca Hi as a starting point a repost from bob Phillips: ---------------- Option Explicit Private Declare Function SHGetPathFromIDList Lib "shell32.dll" _ Alias "SHGetPathFromIDListA" _ (ByVal pidl As Long, _ ByVal pszPath As String) As Long Private Declare Function SHBrowseForFolder Lib "shell32.dll&q...

Self installing Drives
This is going to be a bit long. Last month I bought a new HP computer with Windows7 64 bits. I uninstalled the Norton antivirus that came with it, and used the Norton Removal Tool to clean any thing left over, if any. I have Microsoft Security Essentials and the Windows firewall ON. I have not installed any programs in the computer. I have 2 flash DRIVES (J and K) where I keep my files. Every thing has been working just fine until 4 days ago. I turned my computer on , clicked the J drive and a small screen came on telling me to insert the disk, but it was already inserted. I then...

external and internal port numbers
cx Im seting up file sharing between my desktop (host cmputer) and my laptop ...I'm asked to insert external and internal port numbers. Are those the same as the ones I have entered in my email setup?? > cx Im seting up file sharing between my desktop (host cmputer) and my > laptop ..I'm asked to insert external and internal port numbers. Are > those the same as the ones I have entered in my email setup?? No. Different application. If it's the file sharing built into the operating system, you'll want to ask in a newsgroup about that OS. -- f.h. Microsoft O...

Updating External Link Values.
Hi All, Im sure there is an easy solution to this but im banging my head against a brick wall here! I have a cell which changes each week to reflect the week number "Week 26" etc. I have an external link to another workbook in the format: =IF(F5=0,0,'H:\Desktop\Apps\[Bus Week 25 Stats.xls]Week'!F$5) Basically I just want to be able to get that "Week 25" to change. To check the value in F1 (which has the Formula which creates "Week 26") to: =IF(F5=0,0,'H:\Desktop\Apps\[Bus Week 26 Stats.xls]Week'!F$5). Sounds easy huh! Im stuck! Help! :eek...

Driving Me MAD !!!!!
Hi I run Excel 2K I need to place 2 range names with offset values in my spread sheet to create a dynamic chart The 1st range name (called RollValues) offset value is:- =OFFSET(ROLL_HIST!$B$41,1,0,COUNTA(ROLL_HIST!$B:$B)-1,1) The 2nd range name (called RollLabels) offset value is:- =OFFSET(ROLL_HIST!RollValues,0,-1) The problem I have is that every time I try to create the 2nd range name Excel keeps replacing the ROLL_HIST part of the offset value with the name of my workbook file. See Below =OFFSET('Diverts Weekly 2008 (2) NEW.xls'!RollValues,0,-1) Has anyone any idea why ...

Size on drive mystery
When I add up all the size of all subdirectories such as Program Files, etc. (by right click/properties), I get 100 GB. But when I do the same for the C drive (the only drive), I get 130 GB of used space. Where is the difference? Thank you for your help. Vista Home Premium 64 SP1 Erik wrote: > When I add up all the size of all subdirectories such as Program Files, > etc. (by right click/properties), I get 100 GB. But when I do the same > for the C drive (the only drive), I get 130 GB of used space. Where is > the difference? > > Thank you for your help...