Blue Screen upon USB Drive Insertion

I've been using this SwissMemory USB drive for a couple years now on the same
computer system (an HP Pavillion notebook, Vista Ultimate 32-bit). As of
just yesterday, I can no longer access the drive. As soon as I plug it in, I
get a Blue Screen with the Stop Error 0x8E and my computer reboots. If I plug
the drive in before windows finishes booting, I can access the drive just
fine. However, anytime I plug the device in while Windows is already running,
I immediately get the Blue Screen and a reboot.

I've tried reformatting the flash drive, but it still happens. Any
suggestions on how to correct this? Drive seems to work fine when inserted
into my other system running XP. The notebook is only a couple years old so I
don't think that it is hardware failure. Could I have corrupt drivers? Which
drivers? I've tried some other flash drives and most of them work. However,
sometimes I am presented witht he prompt that "My device could run faster..."
but I know the notebook and the flash drives are both USB 2.0. Any help would
be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
windows.vista.hardware_devices 178 articles. 0 followers. Follow

P.S. Could this also be caused by McAfee or other anti-virus software? I
recently had to do a McAfee update that required a reboot.

"Domenick" wrote:

> I've been using this SwissMemory USB drive for a couple years now on the same
> computer system (an HP Pavillion notebook, Vista Ultimate 32-bit). As of
> just yesterday, I can no longer access the drive. As soon as I plug it in, I
> get a Blue Screen with the Stop Error 0x8E and my computer reboots. If I plug
> the drive in before windows finishes booting, I can access the drive just
> fine. However, anytime I plug the device in while Windows is already running,
> I immediately get the Blue Screen and a reboot.
>
> I've tried reformatting the flash drive, but it still happens. Any
> suggestions on how to correct this? Drive seems to work fine when inserted
> into my other system running XP. The notebook is only a couple years old so I
> don't think that it is hardware failure. Could I have corrupt drivers? Which
> drivers? I've tried some other flash drives and most of them work. However,
> sometimes I am presented witht he prompt that "My device could run faster..."
> but I know the notebook and the flash drives are both USB 2.0. Any help would
> be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
If you have more than one Anti-Virus program running,
Try disabling them one at a time to see if it lets you plug in your drive.

"Domenick" <Domenick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> P.S. Could this also be caused by McAfee or other anti-virus software? I
> recently had to do a McAfee update that required a reboot.
>
> "Domenick" wrote:
>
>> I've been using this SwissMemory USB drive for a couple years now on the
>> same
>> computer system (an HP Pavillion notebook, Vista Ultimate 32-bit). As of
>> just yesterday, I can no longer access the drive. As soon as I plug it
>> in, I
>> get a Blue Screen with the Stop Error 0x8E and my computer reboots. If I
>> plug
>> the drive in before windows finishes booting, I can access the drive just
>> fine. However, anytime I plug the device in while Windows is already
>> running,
>> I immediately get the Blue Screen and a reboot.
>>
>> I've tried reformatting the flash drive, but it still happens. Any
>> suggestions on how to correct this? Drive seems to work fine when
>> inserted
>> into my other system running XP. The notebook is only a couple years old
>> so I
>> don't think that it is hardware failure. Could I have corrupt drivers?
>> Which
>> drivers? I've tried some other flash drives and most of them work.
>> However,
>> sometimes I am presented witht he prompt that "My device could run
>> faster..."
>> but I know the notebook and the flash drives are both USB 2.0. Any help
>> would
>> be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thank you.

0
Badger

Fixed Asset Import
I am trying to import Fixed Asset records using Integration Manager 10.0 and I am running into the following error message: Description = The UpdateIfExists parameter is set to 0 and you are attempting to integrate a record that already exists in the FA00100 table I would like to be able to update. Does anyone know how I can change this to allow for insert and update functionality? Unfortunately the eConnect Requester setup tool does not have that table as an option to update. Thanks, Craig Craig: I don't use integration manager so I apologize if this is diffferent but I do use ...

Error upon closing Outlook
Does anyone know what this message means and if so is there anything that can be done to correct it. Almost each time I close Outlook 2003 in Windows XP SP3 I get an error message: Unexpected Memory Leak. " An unexpected memory leak has occured. The unexpected small block leaks are: 13-20 bytes: TObjectList x 2, Unknown x2" Any suggestions would certainly be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your support. Taking a stab at it; maybe something to do with an Add -in? "HankL" <hlaskin@bendbroadband.com> wrote in message news:uH3vWunFJHA.5104@TK2MSFTNG...

Print a screen shot in Excel?
Can I print a screen shot in Excel? I would probably paste the screen print picture it into word and print from there but it is possible, you might provide some more information of what you are trying to do Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Teacher1" wrote: > Can I print a screen shot in Excel? Teacher1 wrote: > Can I print a screen shot in Excel? Yes - screen shots are not a function of Excel, but rather of your operating system. With XP if you hit "Print Screen" it sends a screen shot to your clip board. From there you can paste it into Paint or something and ...

i want excel to show the first tab upon opening, not the second
when i open my spreadsheet, it always opens with the second sheet prominent, rather than the first. how can i change this? Hi, You will need VB for that. Alt+F11 to open VB editor. Double click 'ThisWorkbook' and paste the code below in on the right. For it to work you must enable macros on opening Private Sub Workbook_Open() Application.Goto Sheets(2).Range("A1") End Sub -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "robs...

Picture inserted from file cannot be aligned

time stamp upon closed
Hi Everyone, I am trying to have a time stamp mark my date_completed field when an operator changes the status field to closed. Closed is in my tblstatus table along with submitted, pending, postponed, ect. I am guessing that the code would be in the afterupdate event of the status field on my form but not sure? Iwould rather the system date the field rather than an operator. Any suggestions? I would suggest that you use a combo box for the status field. That way, the correct codes will always be entered. Then to update the date_completed field in your table, put a text box on y...

Computer is driving me crazy
I have had numerous BSOD over the last couple weeks. I have tried disk check, memory diagnostic, system restore, driver updates, etc. Last night, I decided I would try updating to Windows 7 in case there was some compatibility issue, and it wouldn't allow it because it stated SP 1 was not installed. Windows update states that it has installed successfully, but the system information doesn't show it as being installed. When I go to refresh my system update and check for new updates, it comes up with an error. Does anyone have any ideas? I have attached some recent memory d...

Full Screen Forms in 2007
I recently upgraded to 2007...and I'm not entirely happy. I created all my forms in 2003 and had them all full screen, working the way I wanted clients to see them,. In 2007 I have the ribbon on top and the table/forms/reports/etc box on the left. How can I get the same form behavior I had in 2003? Bruce It's not intutitive, but possible: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb258192.aspx -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.accessmvp.com http://www.mvps.org/access "Bruce Rodtnick" <Rodtnick@comcast.net> wrot...

Outlook Screen Font
Is thereanyway to make the screen font on the Calendar, Contacts etc field bigger? ...

Insert blank rows
Rather than using the control button to select every other row, which can be very time consuming when you have more than 100 rows, I am trying to figure out how to auto-insert blank rows between pre-populated rows of information. Deb, Try this macro. ALT+F11 to open VB editor. Right click 'ThisWorkbook' and insert module and paste the code in on the right . Change the sheet name to your sheet and run the code Sub insert_rows() Dim ws As Worksheet, x as long Set ws = Sheets("Sheet3") lastrow = ws.Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row For x = ...

Picture missing and unable to re-insert?
Hi. I've been putting together a powerpoint 2003 slideshow purely with images for use in a theatre production (projections). All was fine and I had been fine tuning the presentation however this morning I found that the presentation had dropped an image from the slideshow. Powerpoint will not let me insert this image again and if I try it on a new slide or even a new presentation the image will not insert. I can view the JPEG image on many microsoft programs and I had been viewing it with no problems before this morning. Very frustrating. Any help would be great. Thanks. Kier...

Hard drive in another PC
My PC is going out and I wonder if the hard drive with the operating system will work in my other computer? The one going out is an HP with 512 RAM and the other is a Compact (older model) with about 200 RAM. -- milkman "milkman2283" <milkman2283@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:147B8F98-092A-4EB9-9D2C-04FC670CAB6D@microsoft.com... > My PC is going out and I wonder if the hard drive with the operating > system > will work in my other computer? The one going out is an HP with 512 RAM > and > the other is a Compact (older model) with about 200 R...

inserting/merging pages
Trying to find out how I can add (2) 5.5W X 8.5H pages on 1 file with (2) 8.5W X 8.5H pages on a different file? All have the same background. I can not insert new page from page 2 that is 8.5X8.5 because it will be the same size and it does not let me make changes in page setup. Hence the reason I created pages 3 & 4 in a new file. ...

Insert a row based on a macro
Is there a way to insert a row based on a formula. For example, If A5=25, I then want to duplicate the existing row and insert it in the line below. See answers in your other post. Pls don't multi post -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Mindie" <Mindie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:75A1DDD5-6334-410D-8646-091B43D1B198@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to insert a row based on a formula. For example, If A5=25, I > then want to duplicate the existing row and insert it in the line below. ...

insert 'x' number of rows in excel
Hi, I'm looking to insert 'x' no. of rows into an excel document where 'x' is the result of a 'countA' function. Is this possible? Hi# only possible with VBA. Would this be feasible for you? >-----Original Message----- >Hi, >I'm looking to insert 'x' no. of rows into an excel document where 'x' is >the result of a 'countA' function. > >Is this possible? >. > Yes VBA is feasible "Frank Kabel" wrote: > Hi# > only possible with VBA. Would this be feasible for you? > > >-----Original ...

Insert row, table to table
Hi, As I cannot use INSERT INTO with values specified to WHERE. I have created an interim temporary table where the record contains two text strings.Now I want to be able to take those text strings and append to the correct table where the record is set by an ID number. First_Name = Fred Last_Name = Jones Its a new contact so it is too be added to a customer with an ID = 1375 Now I can't use the following sql statement strsql = "INSERT INTO [tblCUSTCONTACTS] ( [FIRST_NAME], [LAST_NAME] ) " _ & " VALUES (""" & strFirst & "&...

Change of text or background color doesn't change on the screen.
In Excel, whenever I change the color of the text or highlight a cell with a different background color, it's not being reflected on the screen. Any ideas? An idea, yes: may be the conditional format. If for example the cell is supposed to become red when the value is null, and the value is null, then it will stay while the condition is true. Even if you change the "regular" color (it will appear only when the condition is false) Under Options, View, Colour is Colour set to 'Automatic' ? Does this happen on any specific sheet or in all sheets, in an specific ...

automatically create chart upon selecting
I have a spreadsheet containing about 50 different financial ratios for 2002 thru the current month. I want to be able to click on the name of the ratio and have a chart automatically generate using all historical data thru the current month, thus including each month as it is added. Does anyone have any suggestions? On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 07:43:30 -0800, Jason <jason.loesch@zinpro.com> wrot= e: > I have a spreadsheet containing about 50 different > financial ratios for 2002 thru the current month. I want > to be able to click on the name of the ratio and have a > char...

Saving Excel file to Network drive
I recently bought a Buffalo network drive so I can access my files from both my laptop and desktop. This works perfect for my Word documents and even my Outlook PST. The problem is when I try to save an Excel (2003) file to the network drive I get a message like File xxx.Xls is possibly changed by an other user since you last saved it, do you want to overwrite it or to save with another name. (My Office version is not in English so this is my translation of the message) This only happens if I open an existing file, it happens even after I try to save it immediately after ope...

Inserted Controls do not work once Saved
I am creating a form with textbox controls and date control. They work fine until I save the document then the controls seem to disappear. Has anyone had this problem before and what is the solution? I have copied the form and re-created the controls, but once again upon saving the form the controls go away. HELP Which version of Word are you using? Note that if you are using Word 2007, inserting content controls, and then saving in Word 97-2003 format, content controls will be converted to static text. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "LRay67" <...

BlazeFind loop Recovery Console wrong drive letter
Hi: When I go into the Recovery Console, the choice I get is #1 C: drive. When I installed XP or did a recovery, don't remember, my main drive changed to F: Drive by itself. I can't get the repair to work to get me out of the log on loop to do a repair of USERINIT. How can I change my choice to F: Drive. thanks...Gene "Wolverine Gene" <Wolverine Gene@discussions.microsoft.com> said this in news item news:F09C4180-85D0-469B-893E-9325B1AE21D5@microsoft.com... > Hi: When I go into the Recovery Console, the choice I get is #1 C: drive. > When I...

when inserting a hyperlink the view is shortened with ././ at the beginning
when inserting a hyperink, the view is shortened at the beginning of th path with ../../ and it can not be opened by another user. th hyperlinks are to copies of email from a folder on a deskto -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Intermittant screen saver
It seems for maybe the past couple of weeks it seems that sometimes the screen saver doesn't kick in. When the time for it to kick in comes the monitor just goes right to sleep. The odd thing is after I go and check the power settings, which all look fine, it works as it should. I have tried different screen savers as well as changes the timers. I don't know if this is from 1 of the last batch of MS updates or is there maybe a corrupt file or something. Any ideas are appreciated. TIA ...

Force relative (unprefixed!) paths in Insert Hyperlink dialog
Googling this question turned up a lot of people with the *opposite* problem, so I'm convinced I must be overlooking something obvious. The issue arises on 2 different PCs, running Excel 2000 and 2003, both with WinXP. I have several hundred files to be hyperlinked from a spreadsheet. When done they're all destined for a CD. So I figure we need all the hyperlink paths to be relative, that is, the address field for each link should be in the form \mystuff.txt and not E:\mystuff.txt (nor any other letter plus :\mystuff.txt).. But no matter what I put in the 'Hyperlink Base&...

Closing Archive files upon Exiting Outlook
I would like to close all attached PSTs (particularly archive) from Outlook upon shutdown. In effect, when the user again launches Outlook, he/she must manually attach their archive folder. Is there a way to do this? Would prefer using group policy or putting this in the Office transforms. The reason is the psts are located over a WAN and would like to limit the hit on the network. How would that limit the "hit"? Note that psts over a lan/wan are not supported by Microsoft. On 12 Apr 2005 09:20:18 -0700, rambogjohn@netscape.net wrote: >I would like to close all attached P...