Windows 7 uninstall

Well, fool that I am sometimes, I bought an upgrade to Windows 7
Professional at Costco to put on my Dell laptop which is running Vista Home
Premium.   Turns out I can't do the upgrade but can do an install.  So I
did, turns out that I now have both operating systems running and hardly any
room left on partition D.

Next step, I think, is to uninstall 7 and rethink the whole thing.

I haven't been happy with Vista, makes the laptop run terribly slow, wish
I'd gotten XP instead.

Dell's answer to me was to buy another computer, running 7.

How does one go about uninstalling 7?

Ralph

0
Ralph

Well, there is no uninstall.  You simply format the partition that Win 7 is
on, after you move off any files you wish to keep.  Then run EasyBCD to
remove the boot entry for Win 7.
http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

A good forum for Win 7 is http://www.sevenforums.com/

--
Dave N.
MS-MVP (Mail)

"Ralph" <ralphcompton@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Well, fool that I am sometimes, I bought an upgrade to Windows 7
> Professional at Costco to put on my Dell laptop which is running Vista
> Home Premium.   Turns out I can't do the upgrade but can do an install.
> So I did, turns out that I now have both operating systems running and
> hardly any room left on partition D.
>
> Next step, I think, is to uninstall 7 and rethink the whole thing.
>
> I haven't been happy with Vista, makes the laptop run terribly slow, wish
> I'd gotten XP instead.
>
> Dell's answer to me was to buy another computer, running 7.
>
> How does one go about uninstalling 7?
>
> Ralph

0
Dave
4/25/2010 4:08:56 PM
Ralph wrote:
> Well, fool that I am sometimes, I bought an upgrade to Windows 7
> Professional at Costco to put on my Dell laptop which is running
> Vista Home Premium.   Turns out I can't do the upgrade but can do
> an install.  So I did, turns out that I now have both operating
> systems running and hardly any room left on partition D.
>
> Next step, I think, is to uninstall 7 and rethink the whole thing.
>
> I haven't been happy with Vista, makes the laptop run terribly
> slow, wish I'd gotten XP instead.
>
> Dell's answer to me was to buy another computer, running 7.
>
> How does one go about uninstalling 7?

Sounds like a lack of preparation...  A few questions that may help you
cleanup, clear up and get the laptop running as well as possible.

- What model is the laptop?  (Dell Latitude/Inspiron/Precision
Workstation/etc ____)
- How much system memory (RAM) does the laptop have?
- How much total disk space does the laptop have (More than 60GB?)
- How much current *free* disk space does it have?
- What processor (CPU) does the laptop have?

If you have trouble getting any of that information, you can do so by using
the free Belarc Advisor on the system or looking at your Service Tag (Serial
Number) and going to this web page (with appropriate substitutions):

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/en/details?c=us&l=en&s=hied&ServiceTag=______

(fill in the blank after the equal sign with your service tag)

You can look under the original configuration.

If it have more than 2GB memory and a total of 60GB or more of disk space
you could use, depending on the model/CPU really - Windows 7 and it should
run better than Windows Vista if installed properly.  This depends also on
having drivers for the OS you choose.

Windows XP is also a choice - if you purchase some OEM copy off NEWEGG or
BUY.COM or AMAZON - a trusted source.  That is again *if* the model number
of your laptop has drivers available for the OS you choose.

As for this comment, "Turns out I can't do the upgrade but can do an
install", why could you not do the upgrade?  Did you not get a version of
Windows 7 that would allow you to upgrade your current version of Vista?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=E170EBA1-5BAB-401F-BBF5-00F0EE7FE0FB&displaylang=en

Or had you just not kept it updated enough in order to properly do so?

If you give some of this information - perhaps we can get your computer
cleaned up and running well.  You *will* need a way to backup your current
stuff - external hard disk drive/network share, etc.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
4/25/2010 6:23:08 PM
Ralph wrote: > Well, fool that I am sometimes, I bought an upgrade to
Windows 7 > Professional at Costco to put on my Dell laptop which is
running Vista Home > Premium. Turns out I can't do the upgrade but can
do an install. So I > did, turns out that I now have both operating
systems running and hardly any > room left on partition D. > > Next
step, I think, is to uninstall 7 and rethink the whole thing. > > I
haven't been happy with Vista, makes the laptop run terribly slow,
wish > I'd gotten XP instead. > > Dell's answer to me was to buy
another computer, running 7. > > How does one go about uninstalling 7?
> > Ralph
0
Kevin
4/25/2010 8:06:17 PM
Running of the sentences together.  You're too stupid to run Windows.  Just
FYI.

"Kevin John Panzke" <kevin.panzke@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Ralph wrote: > Well, fool that I am sometimes, I bought an upgrade to
> Windows 7 > Professional at Costco to put on my Dell laptop which is
> running Vista Home > Premium. Turns out I can't do the upgrade but can
> do an install. So I > did, turns out that I now have both operating
> systems running and hardly any > room left on partition D. > > Next
> step, I think, is to uninstall 7 and rethink the whole thing. > > I
> haven't been happy with Vista, makes the laptop run terribly slow,
> wish > I'd gotten XP instead. > > Dell's answer to me was to buy
> another computer, running 7. > > How does one go about uninstalling 7?
>> > Ralph

0
Heywood

Outlook 2007 and Windows 7 64 bit SLOW download of mail
I've read most of the posts I can find related to the slowness of Outlook retrieving mail and I still can't resolve this. I have a POP account at Roadrunner. My normal downloads are very fast. Sending mail is fast. Receiving mail - I can watch the count of BYTES going up about 30 at a time... BYTES not KB not MB. THe typical fix I see doesn't appear to be valid in Win7 only Vista (the Autosize window or something like that). I thought I'd take a chance and try the Beta of Outlook 2010 and guess what? It;s still slow. Any thoughts? This is really a dog. Open...

windows xp
I tried to uninstall the program "logmein" but I am unable to do it neither from add/remove programs in control panel, nor by manually removing all folders after a search. I get a message "access denied" and "another version of the pogram is running" while there is no other version on the system. How do I get rid of the program? Thanks. R. Meron Microsoft's Help system has landed you in the wrong newsgroup: this one is for the database program Microsoft Access. Please use the dropdown box (the one that says "Access" by default) to select ...

Can't download hotmail messages after installing Explorer 7
I'm running Outlook 2002 (10.4219.4219) SP-2 and have not been able to download my Hotmail folders/messages since installing Internet Explorer (ver. 7.0.5730.11IS). Goes on a loop requesting username and password for the hotmail server. I have no problem accessing my Hotmail account via the long way Any comments/suggestions? Callaway <nospam@yahoo.com> wrote: > I'm running Outlook 2002 (10.4219.4219) SP-2 and have not been able to > download my Hotmail folders/messages since installing Internet > Explorer (ver. 7.0.5730.11IS). Goes on a loop requesting userna...

Reinstalling windows/office
I have Office 2007, and have insalled it on 3 computers, which is all it allows. If I erase everything, and reinstall Windows, will I be able to install Office again? Is there something that tells the Office program that this is the same computer, and that it's just being REinstalled? Presumably thats Office H&S since thats the only version licensed for 3 family PC's If thats the case the licence is for 3 working PC's, if neccessary use phone activation. There is no de-activation process "RoCa" <RoCa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

Windows 2008 SBS and rebuilding the VSS writers?
Hello, I have a new HP ML350 G6 that is certified to run SBS 2008 and we have a problem when trying to get a backup. We are using a third party product that is backing up to the Internet Cloud and this product works in other sites without any issues. We have had the third party vendor troubleshoot the issue. The issue is that the Exchange Information Store service gets stopped when we are trying to do any kind of backup, even just a test backup of a few files. The third party vendor tells me that we need to rebuild the VSS writers on this server to fix the problem. I ha...

Messages not showing up in Properties window
I just converted a VC6 MFC app over to .NET and the Messages window is not showing anything when I click on a Dialog class in the class viewer. Some dialogs do show up, but I can't see anything that indicates why. MainFrm doesn't even show up. Has anyone seen this or know what causes it? Thanks, Steve I have seen that before. Click Solution view. Delete the ones that don't work and add them back into the project. Do that to both the .cpp and .h files Good Luck, Christopher J. Holland [!MVP] "SteveK" <asasd@asdfasdfsd.com> wrote in message news:el88qJiXEHA....

my outlook wont open and it says cannot open outlook window
please can you help as my computer wont open outlook but will open all other office systems Start Outlook with the resetnavpane switch; Start-> Run; outlook.exe /resetnavpane (note the space in the command) -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "Helen" <Helen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DF619BC7-E7DB-4580-A8A6-E9E396BF8D80@microsoft.com....

CD/DVD can't "see" CDs after Windows Vista update (KB973917)
Ever since this update installed, my CD/DVD drive does not see any CD or DVD I put in the drive. I have looked for an updated driver and have the most recent driver. I have uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it, both with and without shutting down the laptop and starting it up again. Device Manager says the device is working properly, which it clearly isn't. I am wondering if I should uninstall the update. Lisa This sometimes happens Go into the Registry and search for Upper and Lower Filters. When found delete both of them. Close out and Save and then reboot. ...

Windows Update Failures
Running Windows XP Pro, SP3 and Office 2007 Ultimate. I have five updates that will not install. I am getting three different error codes. I have searched the web and this message board for a solution to no avail. I have tried installing each one individually, in groups (e.g. Office 2007 group and Windows XP group), as well as trying to install all five together. Regardless, I always get the same error codes on each of these. Below are the updates and the error codes received for each one. Appreciate any help to get over this issue. Windows XP - Microsoft .NET Framewo...

Windows Mail has stopped working
About a week ago. I sometimes catch it working, but mostly I get this message: Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'KT MAIL', Server: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F I haven't changed any settings, and have used this same account for years. Thanks for any help! -- karenlea Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com The error "unexpectedly terminated" is usually ...

Windows Live Mail Message Rules
I have two installations of Windows 7 one 32 bit Home Premium and one 64 bit Ultimate. I want to copy the message rules from the 32 bit installation to the 64 bit installation. They are on different drives. I have already gotten the messages, folders and contacts which seemed simple emough but I can't find the message rules. Where are they and how do I copy them from my 32 bit installation to my 64 bit installation? Rules are stored in the Registry.... HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Rules If you are not adverse to working with the registry, you can e...

trouble closing Windows Mail
I have been having a problem closing Windows mail. When I click on the red X it gives me a message to search for a solution becuase it has stopped working and restart. Then it works until I restart my computer. What can I do to stop this from happening every time. Also, does this wil internet explorer. There are a couple of things you can try, but since IE is also affected, the common problem may exist outside of Windows Mail. Which antivirus are you running? Some of them cause problems with Windows Mail over time. Make sure you have installed Vista's SP1 and SP2 update...

SPB Finance on Windows Mobile 5.0
I recently purchased a Windows Mobole 5.0 phone and was extremely disspoointed to find out (after the fact) that Pocket Money does not work on WM5. So now I am considering other options. I ran across the program called SPB Finance. It supports both Windows Mobile 5.0 and all the recent versions of MS Money. Do any of you use SPB Finance on WM5? How does it compare to Pocket Money? Does it sync items well? Should I wait (a while) until a compatible version of Pocket Money comes out or buy SPB Finance? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Bryan SPB is worth a look, Bryan. -- Mich...

Cannot open attachments #7
When I receive an email from 1 particular contact I cannot open the attachment - the paper clip icon doesn't show up either ...

Can not run updates for windows xp
0x80244030 - error msg when running windows update. cf. http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&mid=364a8d7a-0b36-4c13-a35e-6368ab5840f5&sloc=en-us Andy A wrote: > 0x80244030 - error msg when running windows update. 0x80244030 WU_E_PT_ECP_INIT_FAILED The external cab processor initialization did not complete. In plain English, 'something' is preventing the updating of the system files that are required to update the OS. Which antivirus software/security suite or other security soft...

FYI: Windows XP Users
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en I would highly recommend updating your system with the latest service pack (available from the above link). If you have Auto-Update enabled, it might be a weekish before you are trickled down with the 270mb download. I have installed on 5 systems so far, and it has been running just fine! -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com ~pay it forward~ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. 270 mb downloa...

Multiple windows
I have opened a workbook in multiple windows (to view side by side) but would now like to close the additional windows. How can I revert back to just one window? Select the window you don't want to see. hit ctrl-w to close it. Pete wrote: > > I have opened a workbook in multiple windows (to view side by side) but > would now like to close the additional windows. How can I revert back to > just one window? -- Dave Peterson ...

Contacts not Displayed in Main Window
I did a fresh install of Windows XP Pro SP3. I just installed Windows Live Mail and Live Messenger. In Messenger my contacts are not displayed in the main window. And in Live Mail I cannot open the Layout Options box in order to change the position of the reading pane from the right to the bottom. I was having these same issues before I reinstalled the OS. I have another computer running XP SP2 with Live Mail and Messenger on it and I have not had these problems. Support from MS has not been able to help. Same problem here on a brand new computer from Dell. It had the fu...

Office 2003 and windows 7
How can I get the Office assistant to work at this sort of release level? I get a message about Microsoft Agent 2.0 when I try and start the feature. Are you using Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2002? I didn't think Agent was included in Office 2003. Anyway, it wont work on Win7. Turn off using the assistant in the Help settings. It was possible to install the Agent files in Vista - I don't know if it will work in win7 - I'd disable the assistant first. (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e11bf712-7862-45ba-826d-44ae3a11836f&displaylang=en) A...

Dates #7
Hi, Cell E9 has text, Cell G9 has date (dd/mm/yy). C9=E9&G9 My problem is that the date is C9 is "converted" to text. So if G9=23/12/09 in Cell C9 it shown as 40170. What should be done to solve this issue. Try... =E9&TEXT(G9,"dd/mm/yy") or =E9&" "&TEXT(G9,"dd/mm/yy") -- Domenic Microsoft Excel MVP www.xl-central.com Your Quick Reference to Excel Solutions In article <uN0PS4eGKHA.4620@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, "Khalil Handal" <handalk@stthom.edu> wrote: > Hi, > Cell E9 has text, Cell G9 has date (dd/m...

printing checks #7
Money and many other programs print checks if you have ordered pre printed checks with the account and aba info on the paper. I want to print checks from scratch, entering my own aba/account info and creating my own check numbers. Does Microsoft or anyone else have a program that lets you print your entire check on your own? I also don't get heavy into online banking yet although I have paid some bills online. I haven't seen a program that lets you print your entire check yet. I guess I could build my own template in Excel or something. find at discount at local compute...

Request for I.X.7 and I.X.8 BROWSING Service Updates.
"Request for I.X. BROWSING Services Updates". To: Microsoft.com/Support (moderators). _ I am noticing through this document the request, for I.X. BROWSING Services Updates from Microsoft.com ,LLC; to use it with Windows XP PRO ,on my excha nging internetwork account. I would like to be included in your mailing list and, to receive regularly newsle tters updadates from yours. I would like to join the 'microsoft.public.windows.7.updates' on this time. Thanks for your business. Congratulations. Sincerely: "fbell1222". ...

MEET & DATE MORE LADIES EASILY (Proven) sssssssssssssssss 374 [447/7]
begin 644 zshort17.TXT M4V5X=6%L;'D@871T<F%C="!W;VUE;B!E87-I;'D@86YD(&EN<W1A;G1L>2!W M:71H('!H97)O;6]N97,-"@T*4&AE<F]M;VYE<R!A<F4@=&AE($ME>2 @=&\@ M05144D%#5$E/3@T*#0I)="=S(&EN=FES:6)L92P@;V1O<FQE<W,L(&%N9"!U M;F1E=&5C=&%B;&4-"DET)W,@;65D:6-A;"!S8VEE;F-E<R!A;F0@;F%T=7)E M<R!S97AU86P-"G-E8W)E="!W96%P;VX@;V8@<&QE87-U<F4N(%1H:7,@:7,@ M82!P97)F96-T;'D-"FQE9V%L('-E>'5A;"!S=&EM=6QA;G0N+BX@8VQE=F5R M;'D@;6%S:V5D(&EN(&$-"FUA;B=...

IE 7.0 outer div height issue
In IE 7.0 , Outer div height is not automatically growing to include its child divs and other controls like ASP panel etc ( again their size is dynamic). In IE 6.0 it was seameless. Any thoughts are highly appreciated. Actually the IE6 behavior was bad. If you define the size of an element, it should be exactly the size you defined. min-height allows to define a minimal height and grow as needed. -- Patrice SM wrote: > In IE 7.0 , Outer div height is not automatically growing to include > its child divs and other controls like ASP panel etc ( again...

Windows Updates are not possible
In the file C:/ I can not open the file "Documents and settings/All Users/Window". I t says that it is damaged. That explains perhaps that I can not fetch updates and. Also other things I do tells me that this and that file in "Documents and settings/All Users/Window" is damaged. HOW CAN I RESTORE A CORRECT "Documents and settings/All Users/Window" - file??? "ZONE" <ZONE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:83DC6EE8-405A-499B-AD89-DC668ADEC7E1@microsoft.com... > In the file C:/ I can not open the file "Documents ...