Win 7 - Manual desktop arrangement destroyed

I am sorry for asking this question here, but I could not find any group
dealing with Windows Seven.

Since a couple of days, each time I turn on my laptop my manual arrangement
of the icons on the desktop is destroyed. A part of the icons is put along
the left vertical edge of the screen and another part of the icons along the
right vertical edge of the screen. Some of the icons thrown towards the
right edge are even placed under the gadgets!

Both the Auto Arrange and Align to grid are unchecked!

I run Windows 7 Professional and use another display unit connected to the
laptop by a cable.

Does somebody have an idea what is going on?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Marcus

0
Marcus

On 21/04/2010 11:40, Marcus wrote:

> I run Windows 7 Professional and use another display unit connected to
> the laptop by a cable.

It is likely that when you connect to the other display it is
reconfiguring the laptop's desktop to a different resolution (that of
the external display) and this is moving the icons.

In Vista there is this... (it apparently works with Win7 too)

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/save-and-restore-desktop-icon-layout-in-windows-vista/

Also this -
http://www.blogsdna.com/3524/backup-restore-desktop-icons-position-on-windows-7-vista-xp.htm

(I've not tried this)...

IconRestore   http://users.rcn.com/taylotr/icon_restore.html   worked
for me in XP - I don't know if it works in Win7

Guy
0
Bigguy
4/21/2010 11:10:55 AM
> It is likely that when you connect to the other display it is
> reconfiguring the laptop's desktop to a different resolution (that of the
> external display) and this is moving the icons.

Well, the other display remains connected to the laptop all the time. It was
not disconnected and reconnected as the problem described occurred.
I use the laptop mostly as a stationary PC.

Marcus

0
Marcus
4/21/2010 11:21:52 AM
"Marcus" <marcus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am sorry for asking this question here, but I could not find any group
> dealing with Windows Seven.
>
> Since a couple of days, each time I turn on my laptop my manual
> arrangement of the icons on the desktop is destroyed. A part of the icons
> is put along the left vertical edge of the screen and another part of the
> icons along the right vertical edge of the screen. Some of the icons
> thrown towards the right edge are even placed under the gadgets!
>
> Both the Auto Arrange and Align to grid are unchecked!
>
> I run Windows 7 Professional and use another display unit connected to the
> laptop by a cable.
>
> Does somebody have an idea what is going on?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance!
> Marcus

There are no Microsoft newsgroups for Win 7 support. Support is available
through web forums here:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro/

0
PvdG42

554 5.7.1 Rejected
Can anyone assist with this message? This occurs with a few e-mail messages sent out You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator. <xxx.xxx.xxx #5.7.1 smtp;554 5.7.1 Rejected xx.xx.xx.xx found in safe.dnsbl.sorbs.net> Thanks Simon Hi, You're listed on SORBS. Sorbs is a blacklist http://www.sorbs.net/ You will have to contact them or check their site to see the reasons you were added, and to ask to be removed. Oliver Hello again Oliver! Thanks for your reply i shall investigate further Regard...

Sync Outlook between desktop and laptop
I've tried in vain to set up my Outlook.pst file from my desktop in Offline files on my laptop so that they are always in sync. When I attempt to put that file in the Offline Files directory, I get a message that includes this: "Files of this type cannot be made available offline." There must be a way to sync Outlook.pst between my 2 computers. Please help. Hi Jim, For synchroniztaion tools have a look at www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm or at my signature. Thomas Wetzel Outlook synchronization for mobile users www.synchpst.com ...

REmote Display not working using win ce6.0
Hi am vinoth am right now trying to connect the remote display in my pc. i am using omapL138 EVM kit with win ce6.0. i can able to do all the things only i cant able to see my device when i run cerdisp or cerhost. i cant unable to solve or find the problem. am using kitl as transport and server.i can able to attach the device.i can get the bin image. Thanks Vinoth. -- vinoth Message posted via PocketPCJunkies.com http://www.pocketpcjunkies.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/wince-pb/201005/1 On 5/14/2010 6:54 AM, vinoth006 via PocketPCJunkies.com wrote: > Hi > am vinoth am right...

NDR Error 4.4.7 on email sent to a mail enabled public folder
I am trying to help our email outsourcing company trouble shoot a series of NDR Error 4.4.7 problems. Here is our situation. Our main email server farm is located in FInland. The users (located in Wisconsin) login to the servers in Finland. We have an Exchange 2003 server located in WI that is part of the Exchange domain managed by the outsourcing company. The only function of this server is to host a bunch of public folders that are not replicated to anyother servers. One folder on this sever is mail enabled. Of every 50 messages sent to this mail enabled folder, about 5-6 delayed deliver...

cell protection #7
I'm currently using MSworks that come with XP home. However I noticed that it does not support cell protection anymore so I'm planning to buy Excel but figured I'd better check first. Does in fact Excel have cell protection from overtyping your formulas? Hi! >Does in fact Excel have cell protection from overtyping >your formulas? Yes, but you have to apply that protection. It doesn't happen automatically. Biff >-----Original Message----- >I'm currently using MSworks that come with XP home. >However I noticed that it does not support cell protection...

desktop clogged with picture copies
I suddenly have a problem with shortcuts to pictures or copies of pictures from My Pictures filling all available space on my desktop. I have to laboriously remove them a few at a time because the shift key grabs the program icons also. When I succeed in removing them, they will later appear again, whether they are in the Recycle Bin or not. They can even reappear as I'm removing others. -- befuddled Holding down the Shift key and clicking on icons will select all from the first to the last. Holding down the Ctrl key allows you to select only the ones you want to remove...

Desktop link to a Particular Outlook Identity
Is it possible to create a desktop link to a particuler identity in Outlook. I would like to create these to allow my family too easily switch between accounts. Thanks Andrew ...

Win XP won't log off with Outlook open
When a user tries to log off of Windows XP with Outlook 2002 still open, a message is displayed. It says "please close any Microsoft Office applications before logging off." Then a screen comes up and gives you the option to end the task or wait. Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated. ...

Re: VBscript works normally on Windows XP/Win2003 but not on Win Vista -> "Invalid class" error
"Estefania" <Sant merdir> escribi� en el mensaje de noticias:... > > > "Estefania" <Sant merdir> escribi� en el mensaje de > noticias:F45434D2-7809-4C21-B06F-B2EEA3026A3C@microsoft.com... >> >> >> "Estefania" <Sant merdir> escribi� en el mensaje de >> noticias:EE6921A8-5D3D-42B6-AE35-58B998ED4262@microsoft.com... >>> >>> >>> "Nick Dakoronias" <dakoroni@gmail.com> escribi� en el mensaje de >>> noticias:AF5BC5A9-873A-447E-9FD4-F75E0F89655D@mic...

Problem with upgrade to Win 2K
Upgraded to Win 2k and now my Outlook 97 will not open.. there is an error message: ordinal 36 could not be located in the dynamic link library MAPI32.dll What is the matter? I have had a microsoft problem weekend related to microsoft products and upgrades... Someone suggested that i use LINUX Op Sys.. No way.. I am a die hard Microsoft person.. Any suggestions? thanks.. Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling Office/Outlook 97? If push comes to shove, you could try reinstalling MAPI. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;172350 covers the files that make up MAPI. H...

Remote desktop ActiveX control will not download
We have a number of machines using RWW which work fine. Problem is one particular laptop on which the RDP ActiveX control seems to have disappeared and will not download again! User gets message that ActiveX is not downloaded but no security bar is present to allow them to click on 'Install ActiveX control'. I have also just found the same thing with one of our local workstations which I have tested. Is there something on the Server preventing this ActiveX from downloading? It is still working fine from a number of other machines. Problem I have is that this lap...

Can't download hotmail messages after installing Explorer 7
I'm running Outlook 2002 (10.4219.4219) SP-2 and have not been able to download my Hotmail folders/messages since installing Internet Explorer (ver. 7.0.5730.11IS). Goes on a loop requesting username and password for the hotmail server. I have no problem accessing my Hotmail account via the long way Any comments/suggestions? Callaway <nospam@yahoo.com> wrote: > I'm running Outlook 2002 (10.4219.4219) SP-2 and have not been able to > download my Hotmail folders/messages since installing Internet > Explorer (ver. 7.0.5730.11IS). Goes on a loop requesting userna...

embedded NULLS in any vc++ 7.1 object
Hello all, I have been trying to read a binary file that contains null characters. For example the binary file could look like (in a hex editor): 42 4D EE 09 00 00 00 00 00 00 3E (++++ many more lines) Now, I can read 42 4D EE and 09 just fine. But when I read the first 00 (NULL), my program terminates the object so (\x42\x4D\xEE\x09\x0) and I can no longer append to the object. We have tried the following CString, BYTE, CByteArray, CComBSTR and a many more. examples: std::string s = "abc"; s += char(42); s += char(42); s += char(0); s += char(42); Only the first 5 bytes ar...

Contstant Credential Prompt
I've run into an issue with Outlook 2007 constantly asking for user name and password on Windows 7 clients connected to a SBS 2008 network. The type of password prompt that comes up is the same that you get when connecting from outside the lan using RPC over HTTP - the window indicates that the connection is being made to "remote.xxxx.xxx" This problem occurs when the windows 7 clients are on the LAN. Even though the prompts come up repeatedly, outlook still connects and email flows fine. When the computers were first setup a couple of weeks ago, there were no ...

Custom Number Format #7
Hi I have a column in Excel that needs to be converted as follows, I think I can do this using "Format" - "Cells" - "Custom Number" but am not sure what to type in so it keeps the first character as text followed by 5 digits (adding a zero to the end) Account number:- A4578 B6789 C6892 E8900 The account numbers need to become 6 digit (zero at the end) but retain the starting letter HELP! Ta Julia If you just want to display the value with an added zero, use Format/Cells/Number/Custom @"0" You can convert the numbers using a helper co...

Excel Desktop Links malfunctioning
I am trying to solve a problem on my dad's computer. Last night it went crazy (I was not here). I have an Excel file saved on the desktop(not a shortcut), but when you click on it the file will not open, instead Excel opens and does nothing. But if i then click ope, go to desktop and click on the file, it opens like normal. Any advice? :-( A couple thoughts... 1. When you double-click any other Excel file (---.xls), does the same thing happen? 2. How do you know it is not a shortcut? 2. You say it is an Excel file. How do you know? Right- click desktop object, select Properties,...

Manual Workflow Error
I was having problems applying all manual workflow rules and applied hotfix 898654 per one of the messages earlier in the group. Now I am getting the following error when applying a manual rule: "The record you are requesting is currently unavailable. Either the record is not found or you do not have sufficient security permissions to view it." I am looged in a user with system administrator priviledges. The record is obviously there because I am looking at it. Any ideas? ...

Lookup #7
I am trying to use the lookup function, but excel is returning the wrong result. My formula is LOOKUP(E53,AG1:AG55,AH1:AH55) where e53 is a value inputted by the user. I want Excel to find the value in e5s in column ag and grab the corrsponding data in column ah. it isnt finding the corrsponding data in ah. Lookup() is intended for one-column operations: check out VLOOKUP(). It will do the job for you. The "Vector" syntax of LOOKUP() uses a column or a row to find a value in *another* column or row of the same size. One of the shortcomings of LOOKUP() is that the lookup vect...

Outlook 2007 and Windows 7 64 bit SLOW download of mail
I've read most of the posts I can find related to the slowness of Outlook retrieving mail and I still can't resolve this. I have a POP account at Roadrunner. My normal downloads are very fast. Sending mail is fast. Receiving mail - I can watch the count of BYTES going up about 30 at a time... BYTES not KB not MB. THe typical fix I see doesn't appear to be valid in Win7 only Vista (the Autosize window or something like that). I thought I'd take a chance and try the Beta of Outlook 2010 and guess what? It;s still slow. Any thoughts? This is really a dog. Open...

.bat file from outook 2007 in windows 7
Hi, I tried many ways of executing a .bat file attachment from outlook 2007 in windows 7. I tried the registry ( Level1Remove) option , tried with the outlook tool and did a research on this isssue. But still i am not able to run a .bat file attachment from outlook 2007 in Windows7. This works in Xp with Outlook 2007.Is this a permanent change in Windows 7? Is there any way to allow bat file to run from outlook 2007 in windows 7? ...

Duplicates #7
Is there any way to search an Excel database for duplicates? i.e. Many databases have been compiled into one large database and the possibility of multiple duplicates is high. Instead of going through about 3500 entries, can I search for things that have been duplicated? there are actually many ways to search for duplicates. one is to use conditional formating on all cells with formula is =IF(A1<>"",COUNTIF($A:IV,A1)<>1) set the pattent to look for and visually look for that format. "Alex" wrote: > Is there any way to search an Excel database for du...

Help with Win 7
I've written a program that runs fine on all the WinXP computers on our network. I installed our first Win7 computer on the network and now the program won't run without the UAC window popping up asking for an Admin name and password. I've gone through the program and gotten rid of all the registry settings (getsetting, savesetting) leftover from the VB6 era and I got rid of the ini file used for startup. Can someone tell me the quick way to get rid of the UAC admin prompt without turning off UAC? On 1/18/2010 4:30 PM, kevinp wrote: > I've written a program th...

Bar charts #7
Can the bar thickness (in a bar chart) be related to a data series. This would be particually useful when comparing a grade value for a mineral on the main axis while relating the samples representative size or thickness to the thickness of the bar. This could also be a plot of "depth" vs a value etc. You might take a look at Jon Peltier's article on matrix charts: http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=508 Or, to see other non-native chart types: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/NonNative.html -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes&q...

Restoring the Microsoft Outlook icon on the desktop after it is deleted
I accidently deleted the Microsoft Outlook icon off my desktop. How can I restore it? I am running Windows XP Pro SP1. If you can help please e-mail me at djforster@westnet.com.au Thanks http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/20031111.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com "DeeJay" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:63f501c3e604$f...

Print Preview in MSVC 7
Hello Is there a way how to display a normal classic print preview (as with MSVC 6) with MSVC 7? A print preview that takes the entire window, and without all that toolbars that MUST NOT be there as they are not related with printing at all. This is the main obstacle in moving from version 6 to 7. My customers would never understand such "improvment" and would request to get the normal preview back. Thank you for any advice. Vaclav ...