Win 7 HDMI and poor text clarity

I am not sure if this would be considered a hardware or software issue so I
will double post.  Please forgive me.

I am using a 19" HD flat panel TV as an external monitor for my laptop (Win
7).  Text was crisp and clear with the RGB connection but when I switched to
HDMI (to get the audio also) the text got pretty blurry (graphics are still
pretty good).  I've tried adjusting the resolution, the Clear Type text, and
the Smaller 100% and Medium 125% settings but nothing seems to help.  I've
also tried various adjustments on the TV to no avail.  Suggestions please.

Thanks... Bob

0
Bob

try changing the resolution and/or refresh rate.

--
kword88
0

Look/compare resolutions and refresh rates your videocard switches when
outputting to:
a) HDMI
b) non-HDMI.
You can check these either from
Controlpanel-->Personalization-->DisplaySettings
or
Rightclick on emtpy desktop-->Personalization-->DisplaySettings.

So look what changes between two output modes, then look at your external
display, and finally at videocard driver.
If resolution AND refresh rates are identical,.then either your videocard or
external display are suffering some losses in HDMI mode.

By the way,. at highresolutions and highend/multichannel audio HDMI signal
presents very high demands towards physical cables,, higher than  uch of
what we've been accustomed to, except maybe USB3 or Firewire-GenerationB.
That's because ridiculous number of highfrequency digital links are within
proximity to each other so crosstalk may arise.
The cables are EXPENSIVE, but yoiu have to use quality cable for HDMI.
That of course is a baseless worry if your audio is simple stereo and
resolution is not extereme.

Mine is 1440 x 900, and I like max quality audio cuz I come from music lover
roots, so... my HDMI cable is not cheap.
I hated when I was buying it - most expensive cable I've had to get in
years, except optofiber.  Most HDMi quality cables are in heavy external
metal mesh (extra shield)

0
Stan
3/7/2010 7:23:08 AM
> Mine is 1440 x 900, and I like max quality audio cuz I come from music
> lover roots, so... my HDMI cable is not cheap.
> I hated when I was buying it - most expensive cable I've had to get in
> years, except optofiber.  Most HDMi quality cables are in heavy
> external metal mesh (extra shield)

Once again proving you are a complete moron falling for the 'Monster
Cable' BS.

Yes, I know, your an EE and know, blah, blah, blah..........

Here, http://www.cablewholesale.com/hdmi-1.4-cable

I've bought a dozen cables from these guys, and not a problem.

I rememeber reading this article in some magazine where they took all the
people that called themselves audiophiles and ran an actual test. These
people claimed they could hear the difference in music bewtween using the
thin cr*ppy cheap zip-cord like speaker cable and the heavy duty 'Monster'
cable sold by the foot.

As it turned out, in the tests, these people could tell nothing. If they
weren't told which was which, they couldn't say they could tell any
difference, yet when they were told which was supposedly the Monster cable,
then they were able to pick that one out......except that half the time
they told them the Monster cable was actually the cheap stuff, and they
still picked it.

You're a fool to spend more than $10 on a 6ft. HDMI cable.

0
DanS
3/7/2010 1:15:11 PM
my fear too on a new laptop w/ HDMI

--
pacinitaly

SpellCherkers aren't worth a shirt ya no

If I helped you, please tip my scales. If I have not, curse me out like
a drunken sailor
0
pacinitaly
3/7/2010 3:46:55 PM
I see no reference there to HDMI.

Bob

"Stan Starinski" <China@stealsUSJobsPatentsSoftwareMusicVideo> wrote in
message news:#XcX2ccvKHA.5940@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> P.S.
> Has nothing todo with Windows7 (or OS in general).
>
> Look/compare resolutions and refresh rates your videocard switches when
> outputting to:
> a) HDMI
> b) non-HDMI.
> You can check these either from
> Controlpanel-->Personalization-->DisplaySettings
> or
> Rightclick on emtpy desktop-->Personalization-->DisplaySettings.
>
> So look what changes between two output modes, then look at your external
> display, and finally at videocard driver.
> If resolution AND refresh rates are identical,.then either your videocard
> or external display are suffering some losses in HDMI mode.
>
> By the way,. at highresolutions and highend/multichannel audio HDMI signal
> presents very high demands towards physical cables,, higher than  uch of
> what we've been accustomed to, except maybe USB3 or Firewire-GenerationB.
> That's because ridiculous number of highfrequency digital links are within
> proximity to each other so crosstalk may arise.
> The cables are EXPENSIVE, but yoiu have to use quality cable for HDMI.
> That of course is a baseless worry if your audio is simple stereo and
> resolution is not extereme.
>
> Mine is 1440 x 900, and I like max quality audio cuz I come from music
> lover roots, so... my HDMI cable is not cheap.
> I hated when I was buying it - most expensive cable I've had to get in
> years, except optofiber.  Most HDMi quality cables are in heavy external
> metal mesh (extra shield)

0
Bob
3/8/2010 1:55:08 AM
On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 23:26:07 -0600, kword88 wrote:

> try changing the resolution and/or refresh rate.

To expand on that: if the external monitor has a different resolution from
the the built-in one, then unless you (the OP) set the two monitors
separately to their respective native resolutions, you will have what you
describe.

Of course, once you do that, you get other problems, e.g., things might fit
on one screen but not the other.

--
Gene E. Bloch      letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
0

First off, loss and hence noise become significant with length.
Yes I am an EE.
Who are you?
An "M.V.P.?  MWAHAHAHAHAHA.
Do you know the difference between Butterworth & Chebychev Filters?
Or Friis formula?

You see in American, the term engineer is now applied eaully to a high-
school diploma holder who drives a train, a software "troubleshooter"
aka MSCE Cetified "engineer", and a real engineer.  But in EuraAsia
they still distinguish between two.  In frnech it's "ing=E9nieur" whuch
is of the same root as "ingenuity"
You know nothing about RF and highspeed Digital signaling if you buy
$10 HDMI cable for any substantial length over 2-3 meters - only
exception could be someone desperate selling it on Ebay from China,
made from toxic plastics and cheap labor.
Quality DOES MATTER.

Now as of audiophile testing.
There's an exception from each rule - yes there's many people whose
ears are too generic to hear the difference between a bottom and top
quality cable.
Or difference between Kenwood or JVC garbage and Marantz or Rotel on
the other side.   Sorry for you guys.  You're not an audipphile.
But there's also people to whom music is a daily, necessary ingredient
of their life and their ears can pickup subtle degradation resulting
from usage of inferior cables when running over substantial length
when mutlichannel audio-video is jammed into one highdensity cable.
In this case the obvious choice is Opticfiber.
But you're correct that over a short distance, say 1 meter, the
difference is only sensed by a selected elite musician's ears, to
which none of us belongs.

Now if you haven't used the term "moron" I'd not have used the term
"cretin".
T=EAte-=E0-t=EAte, Monsegnor Cretin.

0
Mark
3/9/2010 2:12:12 AM
This is to DanS.
Not to Stan, obviously.
DanS's posting does nto appear on Microsoft Forum but does appear on
GoogleGroups which do not practice censorship, unlike here.

Here's my point.
Stan Starinski is correct - bravo.
But DanS is not correct - two thumbs DOWN.

Here's my response to DanS:
Hello DanS.
You're a fracking cretin.

First off, loss and hence noise become significant with length.
Yes I am an EE.
Who are you?
An "M.V.P.?  MWAHAHAHAHAHA.
Do you know the difference between Butterworth & Chebychev Filters?  Or
Friis formula?

You see in American, the term engineer is now applied eaully to a
high-school diploma holder who drives a train, a software "troubleshooter"
aka MSCE Cetified "engineer", and a real engineer.  But in EuraAsia they
still distinguish between two.  In frnech it's "ing�nieur" whuch is of the
[...]

T�te-�-t�te, Monsegnor Cretin.

0
Zelda
3/9/2010 2:16:54 AM
Mark Levitski <Stars@nyc.rr.com> wrote in news:5bfdcd6d-2795-4402-93db-
1404e49046a8@o3g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:

> Hello DanS.
> You're a fracking cretin.
>
> First off, loss and hence noise become significant with length.
> Yes I am an EE.
> Who are you?
> An "M.V.P.?  MWAHAHAHAHAHA.
> Do you know the difference between Butterworth & Chebychev Filters?
> Or Friis formula?

Actually, yes I do....what about third-order intercept, and cavity
resonance.

I've been in RF sine 1983.

> You know nothing about RF and highspeed Digital signaling if you buy
> $10 HDMI cable for any substantial length over 2-3 meters - only

Actually, I do know, and you have no clue as to how the cables I linked are
made, so you can't even comment on anything other than their price.

0
DanS
3/9/2010 4:28:21 PM
now i'm :confused:

--
pacinitaly

SpellCherkers aren't worth a shirt ya no

If I helped you, please tip my scales. If I have not, curse me out like
a drunken sailor
0
pacinitaly
3/9/2010 6:23:09 PM
On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 12:23:09 -0600, pacinitaly wrote:

> now i'm :confused:

Any LCD monitor displays pictures better at its native resolution, which
means one data pixel per screen pixel. E.g., 1024x768 is the only
resolution that looks good on a monitor with 1024x768 pixels.

The OP possibly is sending the same picture (I mean with the same
resolution) to the built-in monitor and to the external monitor, but the
two monitors might have different resolutions, i.e., different numbers of
pixels on their screens.

So perhaps the external monitor is getting a picture it can't display well.

--
Gene E. Bloch      letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
0
Gene
3/10/2010 11:38:30 PM
Gene E. Bloch;1239273 Wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 12:23:09 -0600, pacinitaly wrote:
> > > >
> > > now i'm :confused: > >
>
> Any LCD monitor displays pictures better at its native resolution,
> which
> means one data pixel per screen pixel. E.g., 1024x768 is the only
> resolution that looks good on a monitor with 1024x768 pixels.
>
> The OP possibly is sending the same picture (I mean with the same
> resolution) to the built-in monitor and to the external monitor, but
> the
> two monitors might have different resolutions, i.e., different
> numbers of
> pixels on their screens.
>
> So perhaps the external monitor is getting a picture it can't display
> well.
>
> --
> Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom

thank you very much

--
pacinitaly

SpellCherkers aren't worth a shirt ya no

If I helped you, please tip my scales. If I have not, curse me out like
a drunken sailor
0
pacinitaly
3/11/2010 6:16:56 AM
Bob,
Do yourself a big favor and PLONK Stan.

--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

"Bob Newman" <bobnewman@cox.net> wrote in message
> I see no reference there to HDMI.
>
> Bob

0
Michael

Threads #7
I was wondering if someone could tell me how to implement a couple of threads. I have an MFC application which launches a Command line application using 4 different commandline arguments. This works fine using CreateProcess, but I also want to update a progress bar to the amount of how long the command line application stays active. I created a thread to update the progress bar and it works, but I can't figure out how to update the progress bar at the same time that the exernal process is active. The program always waits until the process is complete before updating the progres...

HELP with Office 2004 not loading after installing Adobe Acrobat 7.
Hi, Word, Excel and Powerpoint won�t launch anymore after installing Adobe Acrobat 7. I checked on office/startup and the three folders are empty. All I get is window telling me that app couldn�t launch.. Error reporting. Is there a way to fix this? I don�t want to reinstall OSX. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Office several times to no avail. Entourage launches fine. Thanks, AJ There are troubleshooting techniques linked from this page, work through them: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/macoffice/ see General Troubleshooting and Troubleshooting for Office 2004 If they get to the splash sc...

Best book for learning MFC/VC 7.1 for developing rich GUI apps ?
Hi, I am a C/C++ developer of quite a few yesrs, although I am relatively new to Windows (Unix background). I am about to begin work on a project that would require me to develop several GUI rich frontend applications. I would like to hear from developers ou there if there is a book they would recommend, to help me hit the ground running - i.e. a book that is NOT an introductory text on programming/C++ but rather one that dives straight in and shows how to create front ends (possibly widgets etc) - using the VC IDE, one that covers all I need to know about MFC to start working on a re...

how do i change or remove a signiture that is under outo text hea.
Someone please help i am using outlook 2003 and i am triyng to change a signiture that is under auto text. to get into it i open a message push insert then outo text then signiture. I want to change it. I have closed the untilted message gone to tools then options then mail format then signitures then remove all the signitures but the signiture under insert and outo text is still there See if this helps: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HP051860291033.aspx -- Bill R "nearly bald with frustration" <nearly bald with frustration@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote i...

Counting Texts
If cell A1 contains a paragraph of texts and if I want to count just letter "W"s (Upper or lower case), How can I achieve this? Example: A1 contains "How now brown cow" the formula should return "4". Thank you. Write a macro and use the VBA functions Instr(strName, "w") together with Split(strName, "w") and count the number of times that it finds "w" or "W" Chris "Keith" <Keith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CC60AA13-B569-4C55-BDC7-1B6295CDAFB9@microsoft.com... > If cell A1 co...

Emails missing text
We have about 80 users on our Exchange server. We have 2 users that have an issue with reading their email. It appears that when they open the email the right side of the email/text is gone. When I shadow their session I can see the entire email but they cannot. It is as if they right section of the text of the email was deleted. I'm sorry I'm not explaining this well. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks ...

Export excel file to semicolon delimited text file
Hello all. We have the need to export a file from excel to a semicolon delimited text file. Is there a way to do this from Excel directly? If not, does anyone have any other suggestions? TIA for your help. If you change your regional settings to use the semicolon as your list separator, you can save as .csv and it should work. But this may affect other programs, too--since it's a windows setting. windows start button|settings|control panel|regional and language options| regional options tab|customize button near the bottom. On the other hand, if you don't want to fiddle with...

text size in reading pane
Where is the font selection / text size control for the Outlook 2003 reading pane (incoming emails)? I just bought a brand new dell with windows xp and all and I can't even increase the text size of incoming emails as I could with older versions of Outlook Express. I have been trying to figure this out for around 15 hours now and have come up empty. What kind of progress is this anyway???? A program rendered unable to accomplish such a simple practical thing like that!! Im very upset. My vision is poor. Unless I get an answer soon, I am considering a return of this unit to dell...

can't see text in any office files anymore
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel on my macbookpro: can't see text in any office files anymore (word, powerpoint, excel). only when using preview function from OSX. <br> what's wrong??? <br> do I have to re-install the all suite? any quick fix? ...

Help Creating A Formula To Copy and Paste Text
Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for any help you may have. I need to create a formula that searches for a specific word in a column then cut the word and paste it to another column. Of course this would be simple if it was the only word in the column, but there is other text that I would like to remain in the orginal column.. Thanks again, Mary You have a reply at your other thread. Mary wrote: > > Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for any help you may have. > > I need to create a formula that searches for a specific word in a > column then cut the word and paste it to ...

Rich Text formatting in Access 2007
In Access 2007, is it possible to add rich text formatting to text in a memo field (or mixed formatting within any text field). I have just upgraded to the new version of Access, and it appears that this feature still has not been added. Is this correct? (If so, why?) If it is not possible to format individual words within a field in Access, , is there a simple, free add-in that will enable Access to do this kind of basic formatting, such as adding italic, bold, and underlining? Thanks very much for any information you may have. Bob Rich Text format for Memos in: Tables - Look in t...

Footnote text cannot be entered without mouse click
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Normally adding a footnote number automatically adds that number to the bottom of the page. A blinking text entry indicator normally allows me to enter the footnote text without any additional step. <br><br>However, today I wanted to add a footnote number after a word, and although the corresponding number correctly appears at the bottom of the page, and the blinking text entry indicator also appears ready to allow entering footnote text, yet when I try to type, nothing is entered. I must resort to ...

Add numbers accross columns after stripping away text
I have the following data in a spreadsheet: A1 B1 C1 D1 E1 F1 4.5f 6f 3.5f 3f 7.25f I need to be able to add the numbers together to give me 24.25, i.e. strip the fs away. The numbers will always be less than 10 and the there will only ever be .25 or.5 or .75 after the number (I don't know whether that is significant?). If anyone can show me how to do this I would be very grateful. I have been messing around with MID and FIND to no avail and then started thinking that SUMPRODUCT might have to get involved but it all got a bit m...

Win or Linux for Airlines? WHich one is better? Vacuum Power Of An Average Airplane Toilet
Seven years ago, the Poop Fetish community was embroiled in discussion about an unfortunate traveler who claimed she was vacuum-suctioned to an airplane toilet seat. Her claim was subsequently tested and disproven. But what was never in doubt was the suction power of an airplane toilet. AirTran Airlines has got some dude living on one of their planes for thirty days as some sort of PR stunt. No, he has NOT gotten stuck on an airline toilet. But he HAS provided an extremely visceral demonstration of just how powerfully these airplane toilets do, indeed, suck. Behold on YouTube; ...

Mottled Text in GIF Image
I'm trying to put a GIF image into my signature page. The image is a Static GIF Image that consists of a graphic and some text. When I go to write the email it appears correctly, however when I send the email the text portion is mottled. I am sending the email to myself and this still occurrs so it is the same monitor, computer, software etc. Anyone have any ideas on what is causing this. Should I covert this image to a jpg or some other format? Thanks in advance ...

Impossibly Tiny Text
On rare occasions Excel 2003 (with all updates) screws up and will display just one sheet with impossibly tiny text - like only one or two pels high on the screen. All other sheets continue to look normal. All the cells appear to still have correct information in them, it's just tiny. I can select the entire sheet and tell it to use 100 point type and it will produce type that looks like maybe 10 point type on the other sheets. Or I can copy an entire good sheet, and "Paste Special" only the formats onto the bad sheet and get back the impossibly tiny text again. Saving ...

Copy a formula formatted as Text In Excel
I have a UDF that returns the formula of a given cell in a text format. Is there anyway to have excel recognize that the result of the function is a formula and not text. Once I click on the cell, hit F2 to edit it and then enter, Excel realizes it's a formula and then calculates the value, Nope. The formula in the cell is going to be the UDF--not the what formula string looks like. You could add some more steps. Select the range (if more than one cell) Convert to values (edit|copy, edit|paste special|values) and finally edit|replace what: = (equal sign) with: = replace all And exce...

Extracting a word from a long text field
I have a text field (up to 200 characters) and I need to extract a specific word. The text field name is "MEDICATIONS" and the word I need to extract which might appear anywhere in the field is 'VENOFER'. The word need to be entered in a separate field in a query. Could any one help as to how to enter the code in the query? Thanking you Leo In the criteria I entered Like "VENOFER" Or "Venofer" It seems to work. Will it cause any problems down the line? In other wrods is this an acceptable procedure? "Leo" wrote: >...

Excell Version 7.0 (1985-1995)
So I've been quite content using this old version of Excel for some time. Now someone has sent me an .xls file that I can't open because my version is too old. I really don't want to spend $500 in software just to open this file. Is Excel 2000 still for sale? Or... What do I do? Thanx, Charlie Ask the originator of the file to save it in the xl5/xl95 format and resend it to you. If you just want to look at it, you can download the free viewer software at http://www.microsoft.com/office go to downloads. Regards, Tom Ogilvy Charlie <acscott@aol.com> wrote in message ...

Largest text box
Hi there! I have 3 text boxes on my form and I need to find the largest number among the three. I tried =max([txt1],[txt2],txt3]) but this is obviously wrong. How can I do this? Thanks for all help offered! With Me If .txt 1 > .txt2 And .tx1 > txt3 Then 'Txt1 is greatest ElseIf .txt2 > .txt1 And .txt2 > .txt3 Then 'Txt2 is greatest Else 'txt3 is greatest End If End With -- Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP "Johnny Bright" wrote: > Hi there! > > I have 3 text boxes ...

Converting incoming email to plain text
Hi Is there any way I can configure Xch 5.5 to convert all received SMTP email to plain text ? I can't find any option. Thanks Dave ...

11 Best Xyzu Wallpaper About Mountain at China.exe (7/7)
=ybegin part=7 line=128 size=1593929 name=11 Best Xyzu Wallpaper About Mountain at China.exe =ypart begin=1497601 end=1593929 �C[=@a=}�/��`�5Ҵ�b��,�'���r�?������/��3NV���q���w�3x��`A���7,$D2=J_SOfu�4p�"��Z&N�褜#-n���̷�@��r�/��5�QҬу��� I͠)?{7@�%��[�ym�z��^�~�:���ڑYdkŝ��� Dx���@3��8�p+�"y��$E�ޓeْ2�b<=}STTY]�=@T9W�6����P�%��C��^o�x+1��c�5[O|N�I�KD xb��1Œ�bz$Ӭk�#⺶H���C:��h��,E�?�\?���~��0볈�j�+���T���ay�$���Y%��-��5���<=}�i+�?O�7�#�m�%V�d��9Bc>Qv_;=}�V��w� ��&�S�F6����3���/;^�n�x��=J���>�$��H���WK�\�-�v�+:dyw�=J��A���n��...

Plain text e-mail is double-spaced!
Hi, I'm using Outlook 2007 All my plain text e-mails sent, or received are formatted with double spaces. So This is line one This is line two This is line three ....looks like: This is line one This is line two This is line three How can I change this so I have single spacing??? Thanks, Peter On Mar 19, 5:08 pm, "Peter" <i...@peterssoftware.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I'm usingOutlook2007 > > All myplaintexte-mails sent, or received are formatted with double > spaces. So > > This is line one > This is line two > This is line three >...

Inserting text closing or begining salutations in Office 2007
hi. I am starting to get to grips with Office 2007. I like the program and it's changes, but I am struggling to find some of the items I used to use in the previous version. For instance, how do I add closing and opening salutations such as "yours sincerily" or "dear sir" etc that we used to be able to do in the version before this. I have looked, but can't sem to find it anywhere. I appreciate any help or pointers with this. Many thanks. ...

IIF Query for Numeric Values in Text Field
I’m attempting to flag interest rate spread errors and omissions in a file from a sales database using IIF statements I adapted from another database (I’m a novice at this). The field I’m querying is text format and contains both alpha and numeric values. When I test for a null value the IIF works fine, but when I test for a numeric value I get an #ERROR. Spread Error1: IIf(([Tbl 1 Eligible Closed Deposit Opps Appended]!Spread Is Null),1,0) Spread Error2: IIf(([CCC Fall 2007 Eligible Products]![IB/NIB]="NIB" And [Tbl 1 Eligible Closed Deposit Opps Appended]!Spread<4),1,0...