very slow

My son's laptop has become really slow, Win Vista Home, Acer laptop, I have
checked as much as i can for him, It boots up although a little slow, whaen
you click on anything ,a program, start menu, control panel, etc ,anything,
they open really slowly sometimes stopping altogether, clean out any
spyware, temp files anything to speed it up but still nothing, any ideas
please
Thamks
Glenn

0
Glenn

Glenn wrote:

> My son's laptop has become really slow, Win Vista Home, Acer laptop, I have
> checked as much as i can for him, It boots up although a little slow, whaen
> you click on anything ,a program, start menu, control panel, etc ,anything,
> they open really slowly sometimes stopping altogether, clean out any
> spyware, temp files anything to speed it up but still nothing, any ideas
> please
> Thamks
> Glenn

Eliminate start-up crap
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Read the page, as it will explain itself.

You are probably running way to much shit, redundant, needless crap.

How much RAM you have will be important too.
2 GB is a min for Vista.

--
Vita brevis breviter in brevi finietur,
Mors venit velociter quae neminem veretur.
wrote:

> My son's laptop has become really slow, Win Vista Home, Acer laptop, I have
> checked as much as i can for him, It boots up although a little slow, whaen
> you click on anything ,a program, start menu, control panel, etc ,anything,
> they open really slowly sometimes stopping altogether, clean out any
> spyware, temp files anything to speed it up but still nothing, any ideas
> please

There's no way I can know for sure, of course, but probably the most
likely cause these days is malware infection. What anti-virus and
anti-spyware programs does he run? Are they kept up to date?

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
0
Ken
7/4/2010 9:36:49 PM

"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 21:58:18 +0100, "Glenn" <Glenn.Stallard@gmx.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> My son's laptop has become really slow, Win Vista Home, Acer laptop, I
>> have
>> checked as much as i can for him, It boots up although a little slow,
>> whaen
>> you click on anything ,a program, start menu, control panel, etc
>> ,anything,
>> they open really slowly sometimes stopping altogether, clean out any
>> spyware, temp files anything to speed it up but still nothing, any ideas
>> please
>

> There's no way I can know for sure, of course, but probably the most
> likely cause these days is malware infection. What anti-virus and
> anti-spyware programs does he run? Are they kept up to date?

Those were the first thoughts coming to my mind and I fully agree with the
above.
Therefore we need the answer to those two questions.

Harry.

> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

0
webster72n
7/4/2010 9:50:40 PM
"Glenn" <Glenn.Stallard@gmx.co.uk> wrote in message news:e102Xu7GLHA.5500@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> My son's laptop has become really slow, Win Vista Home, Acer laptop, I have
> checked as much as i can for him, It boots up although a little slow, whaen
> you click on anything ,a program, start menu, control panel, etc ,anything,
> they open really slowly sometimes stopping altogether, clean out any
> spyware, temp files anything to speed it up but still nothing, any ideas
> please
> Thamks
> Glenn

Have you looked in Task Manager to see if anything is using the CPU a lot ?

0
Dave
7/4/2010 10:00:34 PM
"Dave-UK" <Here@Home.com> schreef in bericht

> "Glenn" <Glenn.Stallard@gmx.co.uk> wrote in message
>> My son's laptop has become really slow, Win Vista Home, Acer laptop, I
>> have checked as much as i can for him, It boots up although a little
>> slow, whaen you click on anything ,a program, start menu, control panel,
>> etc ,anything, they open really slowly sometimes stopping altogether,
>> clean out any spyware, temp files anything to speed it up but still
>> nothing, any ideas please
>> Thamks
>> Glenn
>
> Have you looked in Task Manager to see if anything is using the CPU a lot
> ?

yes, my idea, probably a virusscan, backup or defragmention going on? Turn
automatic/daily off.

0
Peter
7/4/2010 10:22:50 PM
Glenn wrote:
> My son's laptop has become really slow, Win Vista Home, Acer
> laptop, I have checked as much as i can for him, It boots up
> although a little slow, whaen you click on anything ,a program,
> start menu, control panel, etc ,anything, they open really slowly
> sometimes stopping altogether, clean out any spyware, temp files
> anything to speed it up but still nothing, any ideas please

Specifications of laptop?
 - Model?
 - CPU installed (Name Brand, Speed, Single *and* Dual or Quad Core?)
 - Amount of System Memory (RAM) - and is it shared with the Video Device?
 - Information for the Video Device (Amount of RAM - either it uses from a
shared source or what it has on its own; usually Intel, nVidia or ATI - but
also need the model...)
 - Type of hard drive (Make/Model would be great but just disk or solid
state would be helpful as well.)

If you don't know that - you should download, installa and run the FREE
Belarc Advisor application:  http://belarc.com/Programs/advisor.exe
(It will tell you all I asked for in general terms and more.  I would print
out the results - you may need it if this machine requires a rebuild from
scratch.)

Windows Vista Home ______ __-bit? (Basic 32-bit, Basic 64-bit, Premium
32-bit or Premium 64-bit?

What service pack is installed?  (If anything other than Service Pack 2 -
after you perform my cleanup steps and the backup(s) - you will want to get
SP2 for Windows Vista installed.  If nothing else, it *did* increase the
perceptual speed of the OS for many people.)

If you don't know how to get that information:

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
(No "RUN", press the WindowsKey+R at the same time.)
  winver
--> Click OK.

That will give you (picture at top) the full name of the operating system.
That will give you (in the test) the Service Pack you have installed.

How to determine whether a computer is running a 32-bit version or 64-bit
version of the Windows operating system
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

 - How is the hard drive partitioned (single partition, multiple
partitions)?
 - How much free space is available on the partition designated as the
"System" partition - usually C:\ - where the operating system is installed?

My advice is fairly simple and straight forward and should help in any
case - although it may not fix your issue if it is a deeper one - it will
eliminate *many* possible issues.

1) Backup everything of importance.  Best bet - some sort of full drive
image or complete "bare metal restoration capable" backup.  If you have no
backup for this machine - a $99 U.S. investment into a Seagate Replica
external USB drive (500GB version) is well worth it for its ease of use,
multiple computer capability and the fact it can be used for daily and bare
metal restorable backups with no real knowledge needed on your part.  Or you
can use various software packages and external drives to accomplish the same
thing.

2) Uninstall any and all unused/unnecessary programs.  Just use the proper
method for the given program to remove it.  Only remove applications you
*know* you and your son do not need.

3) If any version of Norton or McAfee antivirus or full Internet Protection
type suite is installed - uninstall it.  __After__ it is uninstalled by
whatever means presented - download and run their respective removal tools
to make sure all evidence/leftovers from their prior installation is gone.

If you do remove a Norton or McAfee antivirus/suite product - please do
immediately install something else.  Avira AntiVir is good and FREE.  eSet
NOD32 is great (just the antivirus, no need for the entire suite) and fairly
inexpensive.  Either option is preferrable (IMO) than Norton/McAfee.

Norton Removal Tool:
http://service1.symantec.com/support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

McAfee Removal Tool:
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

Avira AntiVir:
http://www.free-av.de/en/trialpay_download/1/avira_antivir_personal__free_antivirus.html

eSet NOD32:
http://www.eset.com/home/nod32-antivirus

4) Do some drive cleanup.  You should use the Disk Cleanup tool built in,
empty the Internet Explorer Temporary Internet Files and the likes, turn off
Hibernate and delete that file for now and use something like CCleaner after
that to clean up all other remnants of temprary and other such files.

Want a few more details?

 How to use Disk Cleanup
 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Delete-files-using-Disk-Cleanup You can turn off hibernation... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730 You can control how much space your System Restore can use... http://bertk.mvps.org/html/diskspacev.html (I suggest 2GB.) Temporary Internet Explorer Files/Cache... http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htmYou can use an application that scans your system for log files andtemporary files and use that to get rid of those: Ccleaner (Free!) http://www.ccleaner.com/Other ways to free up space.. JDiskReport http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/jdiskreport/index.html SequoiaView http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/Those can help you visually discover where all the space is being used.5) Now that you have cleaned up stale files, you should do a full CHKDSK onthe drive.  This will require a reboot to check the system drive.http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-vista/how-to-use-check-disk-in-windows-vista/6) Now that you have checked (and hopefully found no errors) the drive - youshould perform a full defragmentation.  I suggest Defraggler.  It'll takesome time - but should be well worth it.http://www.piriform.com/defraggler7) Now that your drive is free of excess baggage, your antivirus product isnot overly taxing and it is somewhat straightened up/in order - I suggestperforming the following steps to minimize the chance you have any malwarefloating about:Reboot and logon as administrative user.Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following(freeware version):SuperAntiSpywarehttp://www.superantispyware.com/Reboot and logon as administrative user.Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following(freeware version):MalwareByteshttp://www.malwarebytes.com/Reboot and logon as administrative user.Download and run the MSRT manually:http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspxThat will all but guarantee you are malware free (at least for the commonand nastiest known stuff.)Reboot and logon as administrative user.8) Update the hardware device drivers from the respective hardware devicemanufacturers.  In your case - I would use the Make/Model first to visit thelaptop manufacturer's web page and get their supported drivers for your OS.Especially the motherboard chipset, video/display device, network device(s)and audio device.  If you need help with this step - come back and let usknow.Those are my suggestions - in the order I suggest doing them in fromt hebeginning of my response on.  It may seem long - but a lot of it should havebeen done in a periodic basis as it is - and should continue being done in aperiodic basis.  If you get back to this posting and respond with theinformation I have requested and give the result of each suggestion I madein the order I made it - and still need help - someone may suggest acomplete wipe of the system.  Obviously there is something deeper wrong withit (maybe a rootkit, maybe a corrupt file/folder due to a buminstall/uninstall, etc) and even though the above seemed long - it isnothing in comparision to troubleshooting such things and it is oftenpreferrable to just start fresh and restore the wanted fiules you createdfrom backups.Good luck - but in any case - PLEASE do come back and let us know how yougot on...--Shenan Stanley     MS-MVP--How To Ask Questions The Smart Wayhttp://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

0
Shenan
7/4/2010 10:56:03 PM
Shenan Stanley wrote:
<snipped>

<formatting repair attempt>
I noticed my formatting did not go through on the latter half of the
posting.  That can make it very difficult to read.  Therefore - this is my
first attempt at fixing that issue.

</formatting repair attempt>

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

> [...]
> have
> been done in a periodic basis as it is - and should continue being done in
> periodic basis.  If you get back to this posting and respond with the
> information I have requested and give the result of each suggestion I made
> in the order I made it - and still need help - someone may suggest a
> complete wipe of the system.  Obviously there is something deeper wrong
> with
> it (maybe a rootkit, maybe a corrupt file/folder due to a bum
> install/uninstall, etc) and even though the above seemed long - it is
> nothing in comparision to troubleshooting such things and it is often
> preferrable to just start fresh and restore the wanted fiules you created
> from backups.
>
> Good luck - but in any case - PLEASE do come back and let us know how you

Wow, lots of things to try, thanks all ,will have a go then let you know
Glenn

0
Glenn
7/5/2010 6:29:43 AM
I have had 3 kids and my sister in law has 5.  I have come to learn what
they all have in common when it comes to computers these days.  They know
everything, they will download and install everything, they will use
Limewire and other crap against your best wishes, and finally the only way I
found to fix a kids computer is to scrub it clean and start over.  It takes
hours to fix a kids computer.  If I knew how I would create an image of
their computers on a USB hard drive and keep it safe.  Then format their
hard drive and restore it.    (Now I know there are kids out there with the
gift, but parents would not have to fix their computers would they?)

"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 21:58:18 +0100, "Glenn" <Glenn.Stallard@gmx.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> My son's laptop has become really slow, Win Vista Home, Acer laptop, I
>> have
>> checked as much as i can for him, It boots up although a little slow,
>> whaen
>> you click on anything ,a program, start menu, control panel, etc
>> ,anything,
>> they open really slowly sometimes stopping altogether, clean out any
>> spyware, temp files anything to speed it up but still nothing, any ideas
>> please
>

> There's no way I can know for sure, of course, but probably the most
> likely cause these days is malware infection. What anti-virus and
> anti-spyware programs does he run? Are they kept up to date?
>

> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

0
Jimmy
7/8/2010 1:05:23 PM
Jimmy wrote:
> I have had 3 kids and my sister in law has 5.  I have come to learn
> what they all have in common when it comes to computers these days.
> They know everything, they will download and install everything,
> they will use Limewire and other crap against your best wishes, and
> finally the only way I found to fix a kids computer is to scrub it
> clean and start over.  It takes hours to fix a kids computer.  If I
> knew how I would create an image of their computers on a USB hard
> drive and keep it safe.  Then format their hard drive and restore
> it.    (Now I know there are kids out there with the gift, but
> parents would not have to fix their computers would they?)

Get a Seagate Replica 500GB.  After you cleanly install and before handing
it over - allow the Replica to do its job.  When the machine dies - use the
replica to restore to the state prior, perform necessary application updates
(since the replica is undoubtedly older than a couple of hours then) and
then make a new replica and return the machine to the battle.  Rinse and
repeat as necessary.  (Pages 9 & 10 of the user guide:
http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/seagate_external/SEAGATE_REPLICA_USER_GUIDE.pdf)

Use something like Acronis TrueImage to do something similar to drive(s) you
already have.

Look through this list of software:
http://disk-imaging-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Shenan

Slow Computer. Overheating.
I spent over a year reading all sorts of suggestions about how to speed up my computer. I wasted countless hours trying all sorts of software ideas. My problem was that my computer was DUSTY! I have a Toshiba laptop. I read in www.laptoprepair101.com that a great deal of slow computer problems are caused by a build up of dust inside the computer. A fellow suggested using a Shop Vac to suck out the dust. It worked. My computer speeded up and it is no longer overheating. I did not even KNOW it was overheating, since I work in an environment without air conditioning and the temperature se...

transaction window is slow when scrolling
There is this strange problem I have witn M03 on my notebook. When I'm in the transaction window, I use my mouse pads right side (special function on the right side acts as scroll wheel) to scroll up and down instead of dragging the slider up or down. What is happening though is that it will scroll, but then it doesn't stop scrolling immediately. It keeps going, but not only that, it's really slow and laggy. If I try scrolling the opposite direction while it is going, it waits till it's done going one direction, then it goes the other. It's kind of annoying because I don&...

worksheet very slow in calculation
Whenever I change, some change in worksheet, it starts recalculating formula everytime thereby taking so much time to return to READY Mode. Earlier it was not the case. What should be done to return to orginal condition? -- Thanks n Regards Deepak G India It may so happen that when the workbook size increases . you may split your data into more than one workbook. regards rajesh "Deepak G" wrote: > Whenever I change, some change in worksheet, it starts recalculating formula > everytime thereby taking so much time to return to READY Mode. Earlier it was > not the cas...

Printing two half pages on 1 sheet incredibly slow. Help
I am using the new Vista operating system and now all of my 1/2 and 1/4 postcards are requiring me to put in a print command of printing multiple pages (times the 2 or 4). Is there a way to have 2 or 4 cards on one sheet of paper without doing that? Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. The problem I have is it is so slow printing it is driving me crazy. Can anyone help me please? I have an HP 4650 LaserJet printer. Publisher 2007 also converted my old cards to this new format. I never had any problems of this kind before. Have you installed the Vista drivers fro...

Slow pull down menu within the insert file dialog box
Why does the pull down menu take so long to respond within the insert file dialog box? Has anyone had this problem with outlook 2003. When you try to navigate to a folder to attach a document to an email it takes forever for the pull down menu to appear. I have had it happen on my old PIII system with windows 2000 pro as well as on my new P4 system and windows xp. the default folder it goes to; does it have lots of files?? That would be my guess. "paulw" <paulw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4A2C5926-5B3E-49E6-8D9D-666CABB981DA@microsoft.com... >...

Outlook 2003 SO SLOW to LOAD
Is it typical for Outlook 2003 to take 60 seconds to load? I am using pentium 4 processor with 512 RAM, however, the Outlook program seems to take forever to load Please advise Thanx Close Outlook. Find and rename outcmd.dat to .old. (If using Windows 2000 or XP, you will need to enable searching hidden and system folders.) Once you have done so, reopen Outlook and it should open fine. You will need to rebuild any custom toolbars or customizations as the file outcmd.dat controls how the toolbars display. When it becomes corrupted, it will cause Outlook to hang because it cannot c...

MBS Website Dog Slow
OK, just venting: Am I the only one who finds that Microsoft's website in general, and the Business Solutions/PartnerSource websites in particular, are painfully slow? We have a T1, and I have no problems with just about any website, except for the one that I spend most of my time on -- Microsoft's MBS site! Aaargh.... I think who the MS's sites are much confused. Is very hard find information on this sites. "MattNC" <MattNC@discussions.microsoft.com> escreveu na mensagem news:587DDF94-2635-4132-B013-3F61AD13E164@microsoft.com... > OK, just venting: > Am I t...

Slow e-mail
Hello: I have 2 Exchange 5.5 servers. I have received numerous complaints from people regarding slow e-mail traffic. 6 months ago we started using Blackberries and I installed a Blackberry server. I have now heard from several people that they sometimes get an e-mail on there Blackberry 15 minutes or more before it shows up in there Inbox. This seems confusing and I am at a loss of where to begin to troubleshoot. Does anyone have any ideas? Harrison Midkiff "Harrison Midkiff" <HMidkiff@aviinc.com> wrote: >I have 2 Exchange 5.5 servers. I have received numerous com...

Slow saving time once VBA has been used
I have tried and found that once soem VBA code is added to a small xls files (e.g. 1 worksheet with nothing on it), the saving time of that file will become very small (e.g. about 5 seconds) The original time for saving that xls file is less than 1 seconds. Once all the VBA code have been removed, the saving time become very fast again. It is normal? Anyway to solve this problem? Thanks. --- Please remove NOSPAM- in the email address when replying by email. ...

VERY SLOW login in Dynamics 9.0
We have been using Dynamics 9.0 since July it now takes upwards of 5 minutes to login ans see the homepage . Even when the homepage is disabled it takes the same time I have tried every suggestion in Customer source still nothing has made a difference. In fact it is getting worse To review, since we have upgraded to GP 9.0 in July the login time has increased from below 1 minute to over 5 minutes on average. This is an issue that occurs on all workstations. The Great Plains server specs is significantly above the recommended specs All workstations run XP SP2 Server - Windows 2000 Advanced ...

Slow video response in CE 6.0
Working on some GUI code, based on drawing bitmaps and text on the screen (so no standard windows widgets), I am facing the following problem. Using the same code on CE 5.0 the screen transition is smooth. When switching to CE 6.0 screen updates take a considerable amount of time longer and I notice the screen title is drawn before the rest. This is due to an invalidate being called after the title draw and before the rest of the screen, but on CE 5 (and on mfc win32), this update happens so fast, that the invalidate and full redraw can't be seen. Any idea what might be g...

Slow Access 97 since moving to new 2003 Server
We have an access 97 MDB that we had on an NT4.0 server. We have about 30 wrksts that have mdb front ends loaded locally to access the MDB backend. All was great until this evening when we decided to ditch the 9 yr old NT 4 server and replace it with a Dell Dual Xeon 2003 R2 server. All data copied form the old server to the new server was perfect. Performance increases were everywhere when we talk about network thru put. However, once we try to get the workstations in to the database on the new server, performance leaves and QUICK !. To compare, the old server/workstation combo would ta...

SLOW to OPEN ... what could be the reason?
All of a sudden my Outlook Express takes almost 5 minutes to open up, but then it runs fine after that. I checked evrything I have done in the computer and can't think of anything related that could have affected that. I tried with and without firewall and/or Norton antivirus on and it still takes long. Microsoft XP...We use DSL to connect... The computer has 3 restricted users and one admin... I dont think it is the mail size because of how sudden the change of the start-up is. Any places to look at possible reasons why it takes this long??? THANK YOU!!! Claudio CL wrote: > ...

Outlook opening very slow in Win7
I'm running Outlook 2007 under Window 7 on a PC with a SATA2 boot drive, 4 GB RAM and ATI Radeon 4550 vidcard. For past couple weeks it takes up to five minutes for outlook to open. It will get as far as the splash screen and then sit there. Sometime starting task manager and clicking on outlook as either an app or service will get it to open, but usually not. Even if I wait for 5 - 10 minutes after booting, it still takes up to 5 minutes to open. What gives? -- Für Elise - Support the Breast Cancer & Heart Foundations ...

outlook slow loading folders
Hello; I have a Toshiba laptop with WinXP Home and Outlook 2000. Outlook takes a long time to load folders, open files, delete files, et. al. on a sporadic basis. I do network this computer at home and the office. It appears to be doing a very intense file search as the HD is going hot and heavy. Thank you, Brad Brad, I have the same problem but it doesn't happen all the time. I have MSN Messenger turned off but it doesn't help. I'm totally confuse as well... Need some help >-----Original Message----- >Hello; > >I have a Toshiba laptop with WinXP Home and Out...

Slow query
Hi everyone, There is a database that is shared over the network that several users all use on a daily basis. There are several tables and queries. There is one user that only uses one query and lately she's concerned because its been running fairly slow. There are a few other users that use that query as well, and she was curious if we created a seperate query that has all the same links and data that she uses if it would speed things up. Being that they would both be linked to the same tables, I didn't think that it would be any different, but I told her that I would find out....

Exchange Migration too slow
Hello, I'm trying to migrate mailboxes from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003 by using Exchange 2003 Migration wizard. Durring the migration I saw both servers are idle and the network traffic is less than 1% (on 1Gb Ethernet) - but the migration speed is extremely slow - it seems I'll need a week to migrate about 30GB exchange 5.5 database !!! Do one knows if there is a way to speed up the migration?? (Source server: P3/1 Ghz, 512 MB RAM, Target server : Intel Xeon /2.4 Ghz , 2GB RAM) Thanks, George ...

Outlook hangs up or very slow start
The Outlook flash screen apooears and then there is a terrific long delay if or when it starts. I am using Windows XP, Outlook 2002. Close Outlook. Find and rename outcmd.dat to .old. (If using Windows 2000 or XP, you will need to enable searching hidden and system folders.) Once you have done so, reopen Outlook and it should open fine. You will need to rebuild any custom toolbars or customizations as the file outcmd.dat controls how the toolbars display. When it becomes corrupted, it will cause Outlook to hang because it cannot create the toolbars that you expect. --� Milly Staples [...

Weirdly slow office programs
I seem to have a weird problem with Word and Excel (2003). if I click on either shortcut, the program opens reasonably quickly, and then it also opens any file quickly (whether it is from the recent files list or by finding it through "File Open". However, if I doubleclick the Word or Excel file directly (say in Explorer), it takes forever to open Word/Excel,and then loading the file takes quite long too. Same problem with rtf files created with Wordpad. Also, same slow reaction if I rightmouse the file and either "Open" or "Open With". This is a problem...

Money 2005 very slow after Accept button pressed
Is there any way to speed up Money 2005 Deluxe? The transaction accept takes about 10 seconds. I confirmed that there are no upgrades or updates going on in the background. I've got 1G of DRAM and a 2.4G Pentium running 2000 Pro. Thanks, Bob Also... I removed everything from the "Home" page and restarted. Still slow. Bob In microsoft.public.money, Robert Sorrells wrote: >Is there any way to speed up Money 2005 Deluxe? The transaction accept >takes about 10 seconds. I confirmed that there are no upgrades or updates >going on in the backgro Try making a c...

Why the bills is so slow ?
I have a fast machine P4 3.0 Ghz with 1 gig RAM. I wonder why Money 2005 Premium is so slow compare to Money 2004. When I go in the Bills and record a bill it takes a lot of time before the action is finish. Also every month I buy Mutual Funds so I set up a buy from my check account in the Bills section. So when I record these buys it takes like 10 seconds to make the buy in Money ! Why it takes so much time ? it's only a buy from a check account ? Well i really think that Microsoft should speed up Money 2005 ! Lucky I have a fast machine because with my old PIII 600 I would uninsta...

Word slow over a VPN
I have a client, sometimes when they open a Word document over the VPN the document gets really slow to refresh and enter data. Painfully slow. After lots of troubleshooting I have narrowed it down to just word documents, all versions of Office they are using XP, 2003, 2007. When the document is running slowly, there is a lot of traffic over the network connection. If you close the document, not Word, then reopen the same document, it usually works as expected, with no network traffic. So, it seems like the desktop is not working with a local copy of the file. I believe I ha...

writing to CMSFlexGrid is slow
Hi Group Currently I am using SetTextMatirx to write data to MSFlexGrid. Plus now i want to highlight that cell which i am writting data, to indicate Pass or Fail status. m_gridA.SetTextMatrix(row,col,text);//this is the fastest data write //compared to m_gridA.SetCol(col); m_gridA.SetRow(row); m_gridA.SetText(text); i face 2 issiue A) Using SetTextMatrix i am unable to set that particular cell (row,col) as active, hence i am unable to use SetCellBackColor to fill that particular cell with the colour i want. Currently i have to use SetCol and SetRow to set the active cell before usin...

Outlook very slow in listing drives..
Hi, I have a problem with Outlook2002. When I want to attach a file to an email, and click on 'Look In' tab, it takes ages to list all the Drives/Common Area drives. This does not happen on any other machine. Any Ideas? Many Thanks ...

Project Server 2003 with pro slow
Hy, We use Project Server 2003 (SP3) and Project pro 2003 (SP3). We have some big projects (14000 tasks). The problem is that when I open this project from server, sometimes after opening it everything is ok and fast, but mostly it is really slow, opening subtask takes about 15 seconds and changing a field (for example name) value also. When I save the same project into file and open it, then it's always fast. Can someone help me with this problem? Project Server 2003 was slow in this area with project bigger than 1000 tasks. You should have your network checked and look...