Using Vista/Win7 common roaming profiles

Our school environment is currently on XP.  We find with roaming profiles
and multiple users sharing the login (student class logins), you end up with
too many corrupt profiles left on machines all around causing all sorts of
problems.  To get around this, I have a single user profile that accounts
only have read only access too when they log on.  When they log off no
changes they make can be uploaded so no profile can be corrupted.  Every
time the machine starts up or shuts down it runs a script while deletes
local copies of roaming profiles.

This has worked an absolute treat and fixed 99.9% of roaming profile issues
with our bulk use shared accounts.  It also allows me a single account to
update wit changes for all students.

Under Vista/Win7 however it isn't working.  Win7 only seems to work if there
is a %username%.V2 folder in the roaming profile path and therefore multiple
logins can't seem to just share a common read only profile.  Even if I just
change the permissions on the profile folder the system creates to add
administrators to have access, the profile is no longer loaded and windows
claims the profile can't be found...

Are there any ways (AD/Group Policy etc) to get Vista/Win7 roaming profiles
to work like XP ones, being more flexible in their implementation...  How do
you get multiple user accounts to share the same profile (they just map
different home drives for data).

Thanks in advance

Guy

0
Guy

"Guy" <administrator@mydomain> wrote in message
> Our school environment is currently on XP.  We find with roaming profiles
> and multiple users sharing the login (student class logins), you end up
> with too many corrupt profiles left on machines all around causing all
> sorts of problems.  To get around this, I have a single user profile that
> accounts only have read only access too when they log on.  When they log
> off no changes they make can be uploaded so no profile can be corrupted.
> Every time the machine starts up or shuts down it runs a script while
> deletes local copies of roaming profiles.
>
> This has worked an absolute treat and fixed 99.9% of roaming profile
> issues with our bulk use shared accounts.  It also allows me a single
> account to update wit changes for all students.
>
> Under Vista/Win7 however it isn't working.  Win7 only seems to work if
> there is a %username%.V2 folder in the roaming profile path and therefore
> multiple logins can't seem to just share a common read only profile.  Even
> if I just change the permissions on the profile folder the system creates
> to add administrators to have access, the profile is no longer loaded and
> windows claims the profile can't be found...
>
> Are there any ways (AD/Group Policy etc) to get Vista/Win7 roaming
> profiles to work like XP ones, being more flexible in their
> implementation...  How do you get multiple user accounts to share the same
> profile (they just map different home drives for data).
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Guy

Windows 7 Forums:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro/

0
Gordon
11/25/2009 8:12:05 AM
FYI:  This issue applies equally to Vista as to Win7, as clearly stated in
the post if you had read it...

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Guy" <administrator@mydomain> wrote in message
>> Our school environment is currently on XP.  We find with roaming profiles
>> and multiple users sharing the login (student class logins), you end up
>> with too many corrupt profiles left on machines all around causing all
>> sorts of problems.  To get around this, I have a single user profile that
>> accounts only have read only access too when they log on.  When they log
>> off no changes they make can be uploaded so no profile can be corrupted.
>> Every time the machine starts up or shuts down it runs a script while
>> deletes local copies of roaming profiles.
>>
>> This has worked an absolute treat and fixed 99.9% of roaming profile
>> issues with our bulk use shared accounts.  It also allows me a single
>> account to update wit changes for all students.
>>
>> Under Vista/Win7 however it isn't working.  Win7 only seems to work if
>> there is a %username%.V2 folder in the roaming profile path and therefore
>> multiple logins can't seem to just share a common read only profile.
>> Even if I just change the permissions on the profile folder the system
>> creates to add administrators to have access, the profile is no longer
>> loaded and windows claims the profile can't be found...
>>
>> Are there any ways (AD/Group Policy etc) to get Vista/Win7 roaming
>> profiles to work like XP ones, being more flexible in their
>> implementation...  How do you get multiple user accounts to share the
>> same profile (they just map different home drives for data).
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Guy
>
> Windows 7 Forums:
>
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7
>
> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro/

0
Guy

Vista Home Premium / Dell Vostro ...how to clone
Installed Seagate DiscWizard, Power down, Connected 2nd / 500gb hd (ST3500418AS) (to match size of current boot hd) Power/boot up, ....progressed through DiscWizard "Clone" options, and final Warning includes:- "Vista Users should have their Vista installation discs ready following reboot, Follow the onscreen instructions if prompted by the operating system after the migration completes." Now, this Dell Vostro didn't come with any discs, (only the recovery partition), ....unfmailiar with MS's Vista licensing traps - ...any idea if not having ...

how to produce toolbar icons with a common background? #2
I would like to create a common background for all icons in the toolbar. In particular, I would like a common background that starts with a light grey at the top and that then becomes progressively darker at lower levels of the icon. I've used an icon editor to extract a icon from programs that have a common icon background. The extracted icons contain only the icon image but not the common background. This indicates the common icon background is implemented separatedly from the icon drawing. Can anyone describe how a common icon background is implemented? Thanks in advance. Ia...

How to use a DLL!?
Hi all, according with your experince: 1. I'm exporting class functions from DLL instead of global function, is there something i've to check!? 2. I need to run a DLL func in a separate thread, at moment the app create the thread and exec this func. I actually prefer the DLL to start the thread, any problems doing so!? Thanks you all!! Ale ...

No results using DateDiff
I am working with DateDiff . I get no error messages but also do not get any results in my calculated field. I have two dates, START_DATE and END_DATE and I need to know the number of days between them. START_DATE and END_DATE are both Date/Time type with a Short Date format. I am working in the QBE grid to write the query. I select an empty column and put my DateDiff calculation on the line below Or: in the Criteria area. I have tried: [END_DATE]-[START_DATE] and DateDiff("d",[START_DATE],[STOP_DATE]) Both approaches ask for parameter values for Time and STOP_DATE. If I d...

Transfer Files Using VBA
Hi, I'd like to transfer files from several drives on my pc to one cetnral location. From A:\Office1\ B:\Office2\ C:\Office3\ To D:\HeadQuarters\ My routine now is the following 1) Copy the files from drives: A, B, and C; and then 2) Paste the filesto the D drive 3) Delete the files permanently from drives A, B, and C. As you see this is a tedious routine, which I'd liket o avoid by using VBA. Can someone start me off with some code on how to accomplish this. Thanks so much in advance! Jrew Jrew, You could create a batch file (from the olden days) using XCOPY and desired bel...

Vista and RMS.
I am running Vista Ulitame 32 bit and RMS 2.0.0116. My question is has anyone been able to get an ingenico i6550 USB to work with this settings? Thanks -- Steve Are you using a Vista compatible OPOS for the ingenicco? "Steven @ S&S Tire Service" <StevenSSTireService@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8E558D34-1EA8-4F04-ABA2-8567AC53B419@microsoft.com... >I am running Vista Ulitame 32 bit and RMS 2.0.0116. > My question is has anyone been able to get an ingenico i6550 USB to work > with this settings? > Thanks > -- > Steve I don'...

Problem changing wallpaper on Vista
I am trying to change the wallpaper on Vista. I have a sub that works on XP with .jpg and .bmp images... Private Sub SetActiveDesktopWallpaper(ByVal sFileName As String, ByVal lStyle As Long, ByVal fForce As Boolean) Dim ad As ActiveDesktop Dim co As COMPONENTSOPT Dim wpo As WALLPAPEROPT Set ad = New ActiveDesktop 'check if AD is enabled co.dwSize = Len(co) ad.GetDesktopItemOptions co, 0& With wpo .dwSize = Len(wpo) .dwStyle = lStyle End With With ad ' set wallpaper style... .SetWallpaperOpt...

How to use excel file created in version earlier than 4.0a in 4.0
Thanks to whomever answered my query but when I opened the email the screen was blank. My laptop is sick. My question was and still is, how can I use my Excel files created in a recent version on my laptop in my PC which is loaded only with Excel 4.0a . Please and thanks. -- Thanks, Ajimmo Hi Ajimmo You can't, the file format changes twice since version 4. You need a newer Excel version, a compatible spreadsheet program, or simply a viewer if all you want to do is view / print the file. HTH. Best wishes Harald "ajimmo" <ajimmo@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i m...

Issue when using Outlook 2003 on Exchange 5.5 SP4
Hi! I have seen issues on using Outlook 2003 on MS Exchange 5.5 SP4. Can anyone guide me on how to handle this? M P What issues have you seen? -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "M P" <mark@textguru.ph> wrote in message news:eoqSaBjTGHA.5884@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Hi! > > I have seen issues on using Outlook 2003 on MS Exchange 5.5 SP4. Can > anyone guide me on how to handle this? > > M P > It was pretty easy for me to find this in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: http://support.microsoft...

Use of subkeys in SetRegistryKey
The following code causes ini settings to be stored in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Company\Product Group\<application name> \<section name>\<value name> SetRegistryKey("Company\\Product Group"); This is what I want it to do, but there is nothing in the documentation to say that this should work. Is this unsupported behaviour that may not work in future windows versions or supported but undocumented behaviour? Thanks <dimstthomas@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1190714009.923549.98910@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com... > The following code causes ini sett...

'Recently used file' list.
When I open Excel nine filenames appear on the RHS as 'recently used files' (this number was set via Tools/Options/General, of course). In the middle of this list are 3 no-longer-used files. Though the files themselves have been deleted their names remain in this list. Is there an easy way to remove those entries from that list, please? TIA, DB. There is an entry in the help file "Display or hide recently used workbooks on the File menu" which says uncheck the 'recently used files' checkbox, the click OK. Then, basically, start again. "DB.&...

Run two copies of Outlook with different profiles
Hello! I'm trying to run two copies of Outlook with different (outlook)profiles at the same time. Normally i can choose the profile with the /profile switch, but if there is already a copy of outlook running, this switch seems to be ignored. Any ideas how to handle this are welcome. Regards, Reinhard "Reinhard" <reinhard.spieker@bkvibro.de> wrote in message news:60a7e218.0311190408.6523100b@posting.google.com... > Hello! > > I'm trying to run two copies of Outlook with different > (outlook)profiles at the same time. > > Normally i can choose the p...

Using Outlook with a VPN
Yesterday i set up a VPN so as to allow our employees to work from home, today one of the employees highlighted a problem with it though. When connected through the vpn, they are unable to access their Outlook emailand insted have to disconnect and then access through a normal dial-up. Any thoughts? Many Thanks Try this. When you get the VPN login screen, choose Properties. On the Options tab, check the box next to Include Windows logon Domain. That helped me. Bob >-----Original Message----- >Yesterday i set up a VPN so as to allow our employees to >work f...

Frustrated Beyond Measure
I loved Money 2005, recommended it to friends and got 2 great years of use out of it. Then, it forced me to upgrade to continue online services. I didn't mind since it was only $40 and I got two good years out of it. However, Money Plus Deluxe has been a nuisance. I have never gotten portfolio manager to work. I spent 2 weeks sending emails with support where the guy eventually said "if this doesn't work, I can't help you." Great... shoudl I go buy Quicken? This weekend, I decided to try to completely uninstall Money and try a reinstall to get Portfolio Manag...

Exchange no longer available
Courtesy of Katrina, my brother-in-law's job and Exchange server are no more. He knows he has personal folders and contacts on his laptop, but Outlook choles on not connecting to Exchange and won't let him see the local stuff either. How does one tell Outlook not to try to connect to Exchange and instead use the local pst file? It might be easier to create a new profile and then use File Open to access the personal folder file, you create a new profile in Control Panel || Mail <philmcin@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1126736961.961262.92120@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... ...

Solution: Error 2306: There are too many rows to output (Access to Excel using OutputTo)
I've joined the legions who've encountered this problem with the OutputTo method in Access: Run-time error 2306 There are too many rows to output, based on the limitation specified by the output format or by Microsoft Access A lot of people seem to have encountered it. The reason is because OutputTo defaults to an old version of Excel which only allows 16K rows A lot of people also suggest using TransferSpreadsheet instead, but that caused me a lot more problems (putting a single quote in front of my text data) Intellisense for the command does not list what your options are for th...

having problems using performanceCouter
hi, i've made a program that shows the CPU idle time using the performance counter, using Visual C# . however, from some reason, it works on any computer other than my home PC . i've searched on the net but couldn't find what causes it. what i get is an exception that if is not caught, closes the program. here's a picture of what i get while debugging: http://img294.yfrog.com/i/picture20091211182403.png/ what i think is that maybe some service of windows (that the performance counter needs) doesn't work well(or is just disabled) . my computer runs on Windo...

Using Jet to read excel file returns blank for last cell
With VB6 I am opening an Excel file to query the contents using ADO. I am then using the contents of the worksheet to create a format file that is used for a bulk insert into SQL Server. We designed the program this way so that users can use a spreadsheet to import data in any format they want and process the data based on values set in the spreadsheet. This keeps us from having to design new tables and format files for new record layouts which come down pretty often. Everything works fine usually. There is just one perculiarity that is happening with the Excel file. Sometimes, th...

using screen...
Hi, I have problem with the query in the cascade combobox when the form name change. Is there a way to replace the following using screen.activeform [Forms]![frmCoFundReview]![Partner] => screen.activeform.[Partner] ? SF Not that I know. You could use a separate query for each form. Each query would have the correct form name for the combo box. Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia "SF" <samnangs@pactcambodia.org> wrote in message news:u%23z%23g6iyKHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I have probl...

Rescue Vista
Hi, In the event of Vista becomming infected such that it wont boot, it might be a good idea to download a rescue disk in advance. Any free recommendations. I connect via wifi. Thanks A "species8350" wrote: > Hi, > > In the event of Vista becomming infected such that it wont boot, it > might be a good idea to download a rescue disk in advance. > > Any free recommendations. I connect via wifi. > > Thanks > > A > . > Google is your friend. UBCD4Win, Knoppix. Norton Ghost -- Americano TRYING THE SA...

HELP! Microsoft.Crm.Platform.Proxy is not intended for direct use, please use the public SDK.
Can someone post the following DLL's from CRM 1.2? They should be on the installation CD. If you want to e-mail send to robert[at] ockhamgroup.com Microsoft.Crm.Platform.Proxy.dll (1.2.3297.0) Microsoft.Crm.Platform.Types.dll (1.2.3297.0) Details... I'm attempting the following solution: Moving External Data into Microsoft CRM: Lead Generation http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms913871.aspx http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/4/5/e45c4994-6878-4871- 8699-6793b8f13c34/leadgeneration.exe What I need is either: 1. a working compiled LeadGenerator.exe executable; o...

In Word how to use Outlook, Excel
I am using Word 2007. How can I access Outlook contacts or Excel documents from Word -- Thank you in advance for your support and suggestions To access Outlook contacts, Outlook must be your default e-mail application in Windows. You can then use Insert Address (which you can add to the QAT (Quick Access Toolbar) . What is it that you want to access from Excel? If you need to look something up in Excel and enter it into a document, you will need a macro. You can however use edit paste special to insert Excel cells copied to the clipboard. -- <>>< ><<...

Profile question...
One of the small networks I manage had a Win2k DC that crashed. We replaced it with a 2008 SBS & since most of the clients were XP, I was able to join computers to the new domain & copy the profiles from the old location to the new location. That was until I got to the Vista laptop. On this computer, the profile shows as 'Unknown' & the 'copy to' option is grayed out. I am currently copying the contents of the C:\Users\username folder to the C:\Users\user.newdomain folder. Will this be all I need? Is there an easier way? Also, under system properties>u...

OWA using a new Web Site
I have recently Installed SBS 2000, by default OWA is operational from the default web site. I have created several new sites in IIS and created the necessary virtual directories to gain access to the exchange mail server. However when I try to go in via a web browser I get the folder/file listing view in IE rather than the templates. All of the settings between the default virtual folders and the domain I wish to use are the same and I am stumped. I can still access the template from the server by going to the address http://localhost/Exchange at the server Any assistance would be apprec...

Cannot use default SMTP Virtual Server
Hello All, I this problem since yesterday Actually I post this already and get some reply but that doesnt solve it. Again my problem is: I have newly setuo exhcange 2003 (SBS 2003) everythng works fine until I test for open relay (using telnet om port 25) and found that it was indeed open. So I check KB and follow intruction to allo only this IP block to relay mail 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 but when I try to telnet again the server on port 25 I cannot connecto it anymore. I restarted the service even the server itself but still I cannot connect to it. NOTE: I can connect with port...