no vista recovery disc - new hard drive

Hi

I have a acer aspire 9301 awsmi, and have just had to replace the hard
drive.

I have no restore / recovery discs.

Do i have to purchase a new edition of window vista and new licence?

Or can i use a different recovery disc? A friend has a Samsung r60, will
these discs work or just give problems?

Thanks

--
frank1234
0

On Apr 14, 5:47=A0pm, frank1234 <gu...@unknown-email.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a acer aspire 9301 awsmi, and have just had to replace the hard
> drive.
>
> I have no restore / recovery discs.
>
> Do i have to purchase a new edition of window vista and new licence?
>
> Or can i use a different recovery disc? A friend has a Samsung r60, will
> these discs work or just give problems?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> frank1234

Recovery disks / systems are system specific.  You need to use the
original Acer versions.   Contact Acer to see if they will have a
recovery package that your can purchase.

BTW:  Acer might be a company that delivered the Recovery system as a
hidden partition on the original hard drive.

0
smlunatick
4/14/2010 5:31:58 PM
Having an Acer Laptop I know that the original recovery method was from a
Hidden Partition on the HD..........I also know that once loaded the machine
nagged you to create a Recovery Disk which you ignored or you would not be
here.
Now your only option is to contact Acer and ask to purchase a Recovery
CD...small fee.
Not only is the OS on that Recovery CD but also all of the drivers for the
Hardware..
OR to go spend $$$ on a full retail version of Vista and then visit the Acer
site to download
all of the hardware drivers for your particular machine.

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

"frank1234" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi
>
> I have a acer aspire 9301 awsmi, and have just had to replace the hard
> drive.
>
> I have no restore / recovery discs.
>
> Do i have to purchase a new edition of window vista and new licence?
>
> Or can i use a different recovery disc? A friend has a Samsung r60, will
> these discs work or just give problems?
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> frank1234

0
peter
4/15/2010 12:28:27 AM
GO 2 ACER'S WEBSITE AND SEE IF YOU CAN PURCHASE AN  ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT
MANUFACTURING (OEM) MICROSOFT WINDOWS RECOVERY DISK FROM THEM. IF NOT,
THEN CALL THEIR TECHNICAL SUPPORT LINE. AS LONG AS YOU DID NOT CHANGE
OUT THE ORIGINAL MOTHER BOARD AN OEM RECOVERY DISK FROM ACER SHOULD BE
ABLE 2 REINSTALL WINDOWS ON YOUR COMPUTER AND IT WILL BE MUCH CHEAPER
THAN BUYING A FULL PRICE COPY OF WINDOWS 7! P.S. IF YOU DO DECIDE 2
BUY WINDOWS 7 HOWEVER, YOU CAN BUY THE ULTIMATE EDITION OF WINDOWS 7
FROM PLACES LIKE THE MICROSOFT ONLINE STORE @ HTTP://STORE.MICROSOFT.COM
(AS A DOWNLOAD, AS A SHIPPED COPY, OR AS BOTH A DOWNLOAD AND A SHIPPED
COPY). JUST FYI! IF YOUR COMPUTER RUNS WINDOWS VISTA, THEN IT SHOULD
BE ABLE 2 RUN WINDOWS 7 AS WELL! IN FACT WINDOWS 7 RUNS MUCH BETTER
THAN WINDOWS VISTA, AT LEAST IN MY OPINION THAT IS! JUST FYI!
0
Kevin
4/15/2010 8:15:22 PM
I Had an acer for a customer where the hdd was on its way out and i
couldnt load windows properly and they hadnt made a recovery disk, but I
was Lucky and managed to clone the restore partition the way I did it
was,

For this u will need
1X working PC
1X usb to sata or ide converter
1X new Hard drive

1 Take the hard drive from the faulty laptop
2 plug the hard drive into the usb converter and clone the hidden
Partition using Macrium Reflect(free) on the working pc, dis-connect the
faulty drive

3 Get the new drive and plug in to the usb converter, partition it the
same as the origional so ie 1X10GB partition for Restore and 1X32GB
partition called ACER and the rest called DATA, the drives dont need to
be the same size but u do need enough space to be able to take the 10gb
partition for the Restore area and i created a 10GB Partition called
PQSERVICE, 32GB partition called ACER then i had 15gb left and called it
DATA as that was how the origional drive was set out the origional DATA
partition was also 32GB and NOT 15GB

4 copy the Acer restore partition to the new drive and replace the new
drive in laptop
5 swich on pc and press alt+F10 follow the instructions and windows will
install
6 save �50.00 for not ordering a new install DVD from acer who should
have shiped it with the pc in the first place!!!!!

or you could try building a recovery dvd on a working acer laptop I
didnt have one around so I couldnt do it

--
nightmare6667
nightmare6667's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/251005.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
nightmare6667
7/29/2010 1:05:35 PM
Acer hehehe.
One of the worst.

One don't you get an HP or Asus?
HP is recommended.
0
Stan

DPM 2010 Beta Exchange Cluster Recovery
I am experiencing a problem in DPM 2010 Beta. I was attempting to verify that I was able to recover an Exchange Database from DPM. From the recovery tab I expand the Exchange cluster, and then expand the “All Protected Exchange Data”. I have 5 databases that are being backed up, when I click on any one of them DPM collapses all of the folders to only show the “Recoverable Data” folder with a plus next to it. Making it seem as though there is no data available to recover. Thanks, Bret Hi Bret, Yes, DPM collapses all the folders if there are no recovery points for that ...

Prices and cost Set to zero when exporting a new store
When I export a new store with 1.2.085v from headquarters all the cost and price information is set to zero. I have seen that there is a fix for 1.3v but i cannot seem to find any other fix for our version. Any suggestions? Thanks Joe Just run worksheets to update the cost and price. Glenn Adams Tiber Creek Consulting http://www.tibercreek.com glenn@tibercreek.com ---------------------------------------------- Please DO NOT respond to me directly but post all responses here in the newsgroup so that all can share the information. Joe Gonzalez wrote: > When I export a new store with ...

On Amazon.com, Outlook 2007 says "compatible with XP, Vista"..
I have Office Home & Student Edition and want to just buy Outlook online from somewhere like Amazon. It is listed as being compatible with XP and Vista but I recently upgraded to Windows 7. Will it work with Windows 7? Yes, it will work just fine on Win7. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@P...

possible to access UNC share from new-pssession?
Hi, I am trying to access files from a UNC share. I figure using new-pssesssion would allieviate the double problem I was incuring with winrs. Is it possible to do: $sessions = new-pssession -computer node1, node2, node2 invoke-command -session $sessions -FilePath d:\test.ps1 where test.ps1: copy-item \\servername\share\test.txt d:\test.txt It appears to execute but it never copies the item. Thanks in advance, I tested this out on 2 server 2008 boxes and it worked. The official requirements for using powershell remoting are as follows: -remote clients ...

New install problem!!
I have installed a new exc2k3 server in cluster configuration, but the default public folder does not appear in exchange system manager, i have no default public folder, how it's possible?!! in event viewer i have this issue, any help?! Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeFBPublish Event Category: General Event ID: 8197 Date: 12/6/2004 Time: 3:20:13 PM User: N/A Computer: <servername> Description: Error initializing session for virtual machine <servername>. The error number is 0x80040111. Make sure Microsoft Exchange Store is running. ...

moving outlook to a new computer
A sudden and unexpected component fault(graphics chip) on the motherboard of my laptop necessitated the purchase of a new laptop. I had not backed up any data from the old machine, but have now restored all my documents and files via an external hard drive adaptor. Unfortunately I'm struggling to transfer my Outlook data to the new laptop from the old drive. I have followed the Import/Export wizard in Outlook to import the .pst file after saving it from the old hard drive, but just get the following message "This Personal Folder file (.pst) is already in use in the curre...

Move/Copy A Row Based on Formulas to a New Worksheet
I want to move several rows of sub-totals (averages within sub-groups) to a summary worksheet, but I get the Ref error. How can I copy sub-group averages to another worksheet? Thank you. high light and copy. select where you want it. edit>paste special>values. this will turn you formulas into hard numbers. you are getting the #Ref error because on the other sheet where you pasted the formulas, the formula no longer had the same references that they had on the other sheet. for example: =sum(a1:a10) in cell a11 you copy and paste on another sheet at cell a1. excell tries to compensat...

Open in new windows
I have this: <SubArea Id="Fld_service2" ResourceId="Contract Service" Icon="/_imgs/ico_18_126.gif" Url="http://dc1-gvl/Service/default.aspx" Client="Web,OutlookWorkstationClient" AvailableOffline="false" Title="Contract Service" /> How do I get this to open in a full IE screen instead of inside the CRM interface? Thanks in advance You can't with a SubArea in SiteMap. You can only do this from a button or menu item in ISV.Config, and set WinMode = 0 -- David Jennaway - Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP Web: http:/...

Insert new row as cell contents change
Insert new row as cell contents change. After importing data I have a spread sheet with a column that contains a series of alpha numeric characters. At various random intervals in this column the contents change. EG rows 1 to 4 could contain ABC, then rows 5 to 15 could become 222. I am looking for a method to insert a blank row automatically between the rows were the contents change. Many Thanks Geo George If you are familiar with VBA the code below will do what you want. Preselect the column of data first Sub InsertRowAfterValueChange() Dim myCell As Range Dim sCurrVal As String ...

Cant get right screen resolution for new 20" monitor
Hello all, I'm not very tech savvy about computer hardware as you'll notice so hope you can help me. My old CRT monitor died so I went out today and just bought up a new LCD monitor that was on special and suggested to me by the sales clerk: SOYO - Citrine Series - 20" Wide TFT LCD Monitor (TFT active matrix SXGA LCD Monitor; 1680 x 1050 Native Resolution; 300 Nits High Brightness and 800:1 Sharp Contrast) I enjoy the bigger size display but my pc doesn't have any screen resolution setting close to the monitor's 'native resolution'. (I didn't know it w...

Vista Access 2003 & Ole
I have a DB I've been using, updating for several years. I use a = different BMP on every record. Today I started to update it again. Last = update a few weeks ago on my XP. Today I went with 'insert object' 'create from file'. with XP I couldn't = use JPG's so I made bmp's. Today even a bmp is just an icon. How do I get the create from file to work again ? --=20 more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html ...

XP Vista & Office Cheap!
XP Home US$19, Pro US$29 Vista US$29 Up MS Office US$49 Up ...

Re: Update for Windows Vista (KB980248) -- No more fonts available!
cf. http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/f7fa37ca-683c-4be1-b4ad-ab2dd1249399 PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote: > Are you running Vista SP1 or Vista SP2? Is Office 2010 installed? > > Was KB980248 offered & eventually installed via Windows Update or did you > (attempt to) install it manually? > > What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your > subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than > Defender)? > What third-party firewall (if any)? > > Has a(another) Norton or McAfee ap...

Clone an appointment to a new date
I am trying to clone an appointment to another date, is there an easy way to do this other than copy and paste each individual part? Select the appointment in Day/Week/Month view (press Esc if you go into edit mode) copy (Ctrl+C) , then paste (Ctrl+V) on the new date. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-...

can not move files and folders on vista
hi, I am having problem moving any type of files or folders to different place. I cannot even move a file in my document to a folder in my document. can any one help please. I tried setting the admin but that did not resolve it. I am using vista. However, I can delete and rename files and floders but just can't move them -- lovelacews Not a Windows Live Mail issue. Please post here. Windows Vista General Newsgroup. In your newsreader: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windows.vista.general On the Web: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-u...

why I see times new roman?
I have several html email messages composed in outlook express 6, I'm sure I highlited all text and set it to Arial 10. Then I drag the file to desktop, move it to vista windows mail draggin into inbox or other folder. The result is some parts of text shows arial 10 but some others Times new roman 10 or 12 what is annoying, because I use all arial 10, so I have to manually forward the email, highligh it again and set arial 10 and then, yes, I can see it properly. I checked the compose default font and everything is fine. Why is that? Is there any work around , helo...

Copy data from one record to a new record on a sub form
I have a form showing patient details with a sub form displaying all associated referral details for the patient. One patient can have more than one referral and I would like to be able to copy data from some of the fields on the current referral when adding a new referral for the same patient. Is this possible? Thank you for your help I am fairly new to Access code and I am having some problem following your suggestion could you please simplify. Also some of the fields on the referral records are selected via a combo box will these fields still copy? "Klatuu" wrote: > ...

Outlook 2002 and Vista password problem
Hi all, I just upgraded to Vista from XPSP2 and have had Outlook 2002 installed the whole time. Outlook 2002 forgot the 27 email account passwords so now if I enter them and dont exit Outlook 2002 they remain remembered. If I do exit Outlook 2002 and come back in they are forgotten. Can anyone help with a fix for this please? Thanks. Vista replaced the protected storage registry entry, which is why they were deleted in the upgrade. they should be remembered now though. I would start with a detect and repair and recreate the accounts if D&R fails. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook...

Default beep when clicking in list control on Vista
Our application contains many CListCtrl objects with Report View style. When we run our application on a Vista machine, clicking (left or right mouse button) in the list control results in the default beep sound. This doesn't happen on XP or Windows 2000. We build with Visual Studio.Net 2002, and I noticed that this also happens with some lists in that IDE. I've tried many different things to no avail. Any ideas would be much appreciated!!! >Any ideas would be much appreciated!!! There was a problem I was having a while ago with keypad making that boink sound. It don&...

ulead photo explorer 8.0 no longer works in windows vista
ulead photo explorer 8.0 used to work ok in windows vista. now it fails with a c++ runtime error. this occured just after today's microsoft windows update. looks like it "broke" the software. and so now i need an alternative. all i need is something that works a bit like ulead photo explorer - that is something to view, organise and print digial photos. something free would be nice, but it's ok if the cost is low. i don't need anything powerful. thanks a lot in advance for any suggestions. On Dec 12, 1:26=A0am, rpgs rock dvds <cccddd...@hotmail.co.uk&g...

Exported PST issues
I have been trying to import an 'exported pst' using the export function (not copying the pst as I did not know that should be the way to back them up). I have been getting the 'not personal folders file' message regardless of all the help I have been getting from this newsgroup (thank you all). This includes the repair tool, using file open, using file import pst, etc... All into either Outlook 2002 and 2003. I went back through my years of exported .pst's and found that my oldest version (the client was probably Office 2002 (XP) or earlier), which is not muc...