New Vista Update: KB 980248

Today, Thursday, I got a notice for an "important" update for Vista: KB
980248.  Apparently it deals with fonts and Office 2010, and is 29 MB in
size.  Is this "important" update really necessary if I'll never use Office
2010 or would it tie in to other Vista core applications where it will be
needed?  The last thing we need is a large useless update, if that's what
this really is.

Thanks.

EW

0
Lone

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_thread/thread/d22cf523e8dc5ba7/c862f368bee0d34e?q=Update+for+Windows+Vista+(KB980248)+--+No+more+fonts+available!

"Lone Star" wrote:

> Today, Thursday, I got a notice for an "important" update for Vista: KB
> 980248.  Apparently it deals with fonts and Office 2010, and is 29 MB in
> size.  Is this "important" update really necessary if I'll never use Office
> 2010 or would it tie in to other Vista core applications where it will be
> needed?  The last thing we need is a large useless update, if that's what
> this really is.
>
> Thanks.
>
> EW
>

> .

Beware!

I installed the update via Windows Update on my Vista Business X64
system and got a blue screen.
Restored system to get around the problem.

--
Hairy Scot
0
On 4/29/2010 10:55 PM, Hairy Scot wrote:
> Beware!
>
> I installed the update via Windows Update on my Vista Business X64
> system and got a blue screen.
> Restored system to get around the problem.

Well I installed it to a Vista Ultimate 32-bit and nothing bad happened.
0
milt
4/30/2010 2:37:44 PM

"Lone Star" <ewyatt_del_me-@excite.com> wrote in message
> Today, Thursday, I got a notice for an "important" update for Vista: KB
> 980248.  Apparently it deals with fonts and Office 2010, and is 29 MB in
> size.  Is this "important" update really necessary if I'll never use
> Office 2010 or would it tie in to other Vista core applications where it
> will be needed?  The last thing we need is a large useless update, if
> that's what this really is.

Lone Star:
If it were useless, it wouldn't be labeled "important".
Being in the habit of installing all updates to avoid 'reminders', I seem to
have no trouble at all with 'Vista Home Premium', SP2, 32 bit,
and that is with a dial-up connection as well as automatic updating.
The choice of omitting 'useless' updates is totally yours.

Harry.

> Thanks.
>
> EW

0
webster72n
4/30/2010 3:12:54 PM
I too got the same update, but it said it was Vista Security update. I have
vista SP2-home basic 32-bit and have absolutely no problems either with the
update or after restarting.

"Ǝиçεl" <l@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_thread/thread/d22cf523e8dc5ba7/c862f368bee0d34e?q=Update+for+Windows+Vista+(KB980248)+--+No+more+fonts+available!
>

> "Lone Star" wrote:
>
>> Today, Thursday, I got a notice for an "important" update for Vista: KB
>> 980248.  Apparently it deals with fonts and Office 2010, and is 29 MB in
>> size.  Is this "important" update really necessary if I'll never use
>> Office
>> 2010 or would it tie in to other Vista core applications where it will be
>> needed?  The last thing we need is a large useless update, if that's what
>> this really is.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> EW
>>

>> .

0
Nicole
4/30/2010 5:16:48 PM
On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 22:55:47 -0500, Hairy Scot
<guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>Beware!
>
>I installed the update via Windows Update on my Vista Business X64
>system and got a blue screen.
>Restored system to get around the problem.

I installed in on my Vista Ultimate 64bit with no problem.
0
Walt
4/30/2010 8:55:58 PM
"webster72n" <webster72n@gmail.com> wrote in message

> If it were useless, it wouldn't be labeled "important".
> Being in the habit of installing all updates to avoid 'reminders', I seem
> to have no trouble at all with 'Vista Home Premium', SP2, 32 bit,
> and that is with a dial-up connection as well as automatic updating.
> The choice of omitting 'useless' updates is totally yours.

As I wrote, the description of the update related to font issues relating to
Office 2010 installations.  I also wrote that I will never use Office 2010
on my system -- my Office 2007 is just fine on my XP SP3.  It was a fair
question which got no reasonable answers.  No worries though.  Thanks.

EW

0
Lone
4/30/2010 9:58:52 PM

> "webster72n" <webster72n@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> If it were useless, it wouldn't be labeled "important".
>> Being in the habit of installing all updates to avoid 'reminders', I seem
>> to have no trouble at all with 'Vista Home Premium', SP2, 32 bit,
>> and that is with a dial-up connection as well as automatic updating.
>> The choice of omitting 'useless' updates is totally yours.
>>

> As I wrote, the description of the update related to font issues relating
> to Office 2010 installations.  I also wrote that I will never use Office
> 2010 on my system -- my Office 2007 is just fine on my XP SP3.  It was a
> fair question which got no reasonable answers.  No worries though.
> Thanks.

Whether it will tie in with other core applications of Vista is your and my
guess,
but it has to be assumed that it does. Therefore I prefer to update and you
are free
to do 'your thing'.
And 'no worries, period'.

<H>.

> EW

0
webster72n
5/1/2010 2:10:51 AM
Lone Star;1260168 Wrote:
> "webster72n" <webster72n@newsgroup> wrote in message
> news:OLC$3eH6KHA.3656@newsgroup> > >
> > >
> > > If it were useless, it wouldn't be labeled "important".
> > > Being in the habit of installing all updates to avoid 'reminders', I
> > seem
> > > to have no trouble at all with 'Vista Home Premium', SP2, 32 bit,
> > > and that is with a dial-up connection as well as automatic updating.
> > > The choice of omitting 'useless' updates is totally yours.
> > > > >

> As I wrote, the description of the update related to font issues
> relating to
> Office 2010 installations. I also wrote that I will never use Office
> 2010
> on my system -- my Office 2007 is just fine on my XP SP3. It was a
> fair
> question which got no reasonable answers. No worries though. Thanks.
>
> EW

don't do it yet, keep reading this forum and see what others are
experiencing

--
pacinitaly

SpellCherkers aren't worth a shirt ya no

If I helped you, please tip my scales. If I have not, curse me out like
a drunken sailor
0
pacinitaly

report new page for each alpha
I have a report that produces an alphabetic directory, with the entries for each new letter (A, B, C,) starting on a new page. I have one letter, U, which has only one entry, and for some reason it is coming out on the last T page (it is the only single-entry letter which happens to fall behind a "full" page, where there isn't room on the previous page - but there are plenty of other "short" pages where it correctly does a page break before a letter. Any reason a particular letter (and it's not the only single-entry letter) might not break pages proper...

system tray new mail icon gone :(
Before i used to have an icon pop up in my system tray when i received a new mail. I accidently hid it one time and it no longer comes back. How can i get it back. I run Outlook Xp on a Win XP pro machine. Thanks in advance.. --minnoce944 Check Tools, Options, Email Options, Advanced Email Options. MAke sure the checkbox for "show an envelope in the notification area" is checked. If it is, right click on the Windows taskbar. Choose Properties, then customize. Your icon might have just been set to always hide. If so, you can change it to always show. -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook...

Paste Filtered Range to New Workbook- AS
Hello, I recorded a macro and additionally used the DG help to construct the following macro; however, I'm not certain how to copy the filtered range (which will vary every time the worksheet is used) or how to find the last row of the workbook to which the data will be pasted. Any help would be great! And thanks in advance. Sub Macro1() Dim wbname As String Dim copyrange As Range Dim LastRow As Range Dim rng As Range ' Macro1 Macro ' Macro recorded 12/8/2009 by asagay ' wbname = ActiveSheet.Range("g1").Value & ActiveSheet.Range("j1&qu...

Chart update automatically
Sometimes I start a data list to chart, create a chart then add data and the chart automatically updates as I add to the data list. The X axis grows with each entry. Other times, I do what I think is the same thing but the chart lays dormant. I actually have to manually update the series range. Nothing I do seems to make it "automatic". Is there a way to make any chart (new or existing) update automatically when dynamic data is involved? Hi, The chart will update automatically if, - you based the chart on a List (Table in xl2007) - created and used a dynamic named range - i...

Saving Monthly Accounts and starting a new Month?
Hi Everyone, I really enjoy the Access Database System it has helped me a lot with my accounts but I must be doing something wrong because, I keep opening new databases for each month instead of it following on from the previous month and using the same "Categories!." So my question is How do I save the previous month and let it be stored, and start a new month on the same system or page but without adding up what has been put in the system... If you know what I`m on about. Thank you Angeldelight... melting in the UK weather :) Hard to advise without some info ...

Update
What is Happening? This message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin discontinuing newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums. Why? As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; however, the traffic in the Microsoft newsgroups has been steadily decreasing for the past several years while customers and participants are increasingly finding solutions in the forums on Microsoft properties and third party sites. This move will unify the customer experience, centralize content, make it easier for active contributors to retain their influence, mitiga...

Executive summary for New Deployment
Is there a resource (templates) Microsoft provides about new deployments for Windows 2003 AD / Exchange 2003 for Partners? I am hoping a doc that shows resources use, each phases, what is entailed at each phase, high-level design conideration (inplace upgrade vs. new install) - thank you kindly. The MSA might be useful for you. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/msa/default.mspx "JPaul" <jpaul@mail.com> wrote in message news:%23pao%23$WpEHA.3592@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Is there a resource (templates) Microsoft provides about new deployments > for Wind...

update worksheet in one file with worksheet in another file
I want to have one worksheet in one of my excel files (file 1) to reflect the contents of a worksheet in another file (file 2) every time it is opened (file 1), that is, everytime it is opened this one tab should reflect the last changes made on the tab in another file, including formating. I suspect this is possible but I don't have a clue how to do it. I have a few questions: Can this be done without VBA? (I'm not even a beginner with VBA!) I did search the web some and found the following that looks interesting: http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadI...

New Import Utility for RMS Store Ops and HQ!
Just a post to advise RMS users and partners that we have just released a new import utility for RMS. It works with both HQ and SO and allows importing of items only, but does allow for changes and updates. Priced at US $495 or GBP £275 for end users. Reseller discounts are available If you are interested please email me at rod@rsgplc.com with the subject RSG Import Utility Rod Barlow Retail Systems Group PLC (Microsft RMS Reseller UK) ...

transferring outlook express files to new computer
I am trying to transfer my OE files to my laptop. I have tried to use the export feature but it is not working. In scanning the Knowledge Base it seems I need to have the full version of Outlook or Exchange because it has files in order to make this work??? I don't have these programs on my old computer - just OE. I tried copying all the email files/folders into the proper/corresponding directory on my laptop but they just don't show up. I really really don't want to lose all my email. Is there a solution? Many thanks and feel free to email me a julie@crowbold.com ...

80070490 Error: Windows update encountered an unknown error 03-04-10
3 security updates will not complete (now 4). Error Code 80070490 02-Mar-10 I am unable to do these three security updates: KB970238(release date 6/9/09), KB97451(release date 10/13/09), KB954155(release date 10/13/09), & KB975517(release date 10/13/09). The last succesful update was KB9937286 on 2/27/2010 I have a Compaq Presario PC: SR5214X. OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002 OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Manufacturer Compaq-Presario System Model GV441AA-ABA SR5214X System Type X86-based PC ...

Creating a new default message template
I have a email template that I want to make the default. In other words, when you click on New to create a new email, I want the message template that I have created to come up as the default. Does anyone know how to do this? What you are proposing is a very bad idea. Using a custom form as the = default for new messages will guarantee that non-Outlook recipients = won't be able to read attachments you send.=20 I'd suggest that you back up and explain what functionality you were = hoping to add by changing the message form, and in what version of = Outlook.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, ...

Add a nwe mail folder with new email address
I want to add a new folder within the mail area in Outlook 2003. opened up an additional email account with my IP and want that email t go to a seperate main folder in outlook. Under All Mail Folders I'v got Personal Folders and Hotmail as root folders in the area. I wan to add another root folder for my new email only. Thank you, Crai ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Apart from special accounts like HTTP and IMAP when you collect POP3 then all mess...

combo box list updating
Hi - I would like my combo box list to change base on the value of A1. That is, I have its input range being B1:F1 - "Year 1", " Year 2" etc. Example: -If cell A1 is the value "10" then the combo box default list item would be "Year 1" (which is cell "B1") -If cell A1 is the value "20" then the combo box default list item would be "Year 2" (which is cell "C1") ETC... Thanks for your help - Jim A ...

'Signature for new messages' which won't work
Hi, I have Outlook 2003 and if I go to Tools>Options>Mail Format I see I can choose a signature for new messages. I have 3 e-mail accounts set up, and have set a new message signature for each one, e.g.: 1) Home > Sig 1 (default) 2) Work > Sig 2 3) Play > Sig 3 However when I try to create a new e-mail message, it seems impossible to automatically start a new e-mail using my Work or Play accounts, and therefore have the signature automatically entered. So what is the point of this feature if there is no way to use it? I'm sure I'm missing so...

Money 2007 H & B + Windows Vista
Hello, I have read a lot about problems with installing and using Money (2007) on machines running Windows Vista. Is there some kind of "manual" how to go about the install procedure? A manual that describes where to have the program installed installed and where to keep the data? And a manual that describes how to keep the rights as an administrator as you would normally have under windows XP? And maybe there are some other issues that I haven't thought about. Thanks, Eric "Eric" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:468fe69d$0$37724$5fc3050@dre...

User Entity
Hi, I was wondering how others keep the User records in CRM updated with the Active Directory information like phone numbers, etc. Has anyone written a Windows Script to take this action or are you using other methods? Thank you ...

error 0x8004210 occurs when I try to send email from outlook Vista
When I send emails addressed to any number of recipients from my att.net email account, I receive: Task 'email@ATT.net - Sending' reported error (0x80042109) : 'Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).' I get the same message intermittently when I try to send emails to multiple recipients from my gmail accounts (I can send to individuals). "BMcD" <BMcD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D1DFD17C-6...

How do you edit HTML source in a new outlook email message?
Trying to create a new email message by inserting HTML. I don't see a place to edit source for a new message. This is probably a really easy thing to do, I just can't find out where the "edit source" option is, and the help files don't seem to be any help. Thanks, Justin The feature doesn't exist in Microsoft Outlook. "justinvanderpol" <justinvanderpol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1ADC71DF-40BC-4656-98A8-A473EB40E837@microsoft.com... > Trying to create a new email message by inserting HTML. I don't see a > place ...

Automatically updating cells on other worksheets when data typed into primary sheet
I'm trying to create a workbook that will allow me to enter data on the first sheet and it will then append the data to a second sheet by automatically starting a new line. Example: I enter "This is a test" into A1 on sheet 1 First available line on sheet2 automatically updates with "This is a test" When it comes to enter something new in A1 on sheet1, same function above goes into action, accept it should be on the next available line which will be A2 on sheet2, as A1 is already used by previous data entry. Can this be done? I would appreciate any help with this. ...

Transfer to New Computer
I have a new MacBook and just installed Office Mac Home & Student Edition; however, I had to install Office twice on this computer because of problems encountered. Have I just used up two of my three instillation privileges? On the first try I could not register because my PID was stated as invalid. On the second try I was not asked about the PID or the Product Key.<br> <br> After all this the computer is now going to be replaced by Apple because of hardware problems. What do I have to do load Office on the new computer so as not to loose another of my three instillation privil...

New Exchange Routing Group in child domain / site
I have just finished installing a child domain (leaf node) and installing a exchange server for that new domain. First problem I had was that when my email was coming in via the main domain it was sending some of the public folder emails over to the sub domain (witch I had not configured for public folders) So I placed each domain in its own routing group, created a routing connect (both ways) pointing at each other as well as SMTP Connectors with * and cost of 1 (all default settings in each location / routing group. These server will be split via a T1 and both will receive email (ma...

Adding Fonts to New Font Collection
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I need help in adding a few of the fonts I commonly use to the Fonts Collection, which appears at the top of the Drop down menu under FONTS. I would like to store the names of a half dozen fonts in the Font Collection menu so that I can avoid scrolling through the entire Font list in order to highlight them. If one uses Verdana a lot, this is a real pain. Right now, when I go to Font Collections (under the Font menu), I see the subheading New Favorites, not no list appears when I click on it. I want to put my favo...

Update Query based on Current Recordset
I have a continuous form with filtered records. I want to run an update query on a field in a table based on the current filtered records on the form. What code would I use to accomplish this task? Any help appreciated in getting me started. NEWER USER, Without a wee bit more information, like what are you trying to update, field names, table names, do you want this attached to a button or an event, etc... The best I can do is... UPDATE SomeTable SET SomeTable.SomeField= WhateverValue WHERE (((SomeTable.SomeOtherFied)=WhateverValue)); Of course, the above would be an ...

Weird Vista screen issues
Hey, my screen is really weird. My screen is both used for my computer and for my Xbox 360. Now, today when I switched the screen cable from the Xbox to my PC my screen is really weird. Firstly, I cannot seem to choose 1680x1050 as a screen resolution, as whenever I choose it it says it has changed but there's still weird screen stuff with it. Icons and text on my computer are much more unsmooth and it's really starting to annoy my eyes. What's up with mah scr33nz? -- Tomatketchup Tomatketchup wrote: > Hey, my screen is really weird. My screen is both us...