HELP!!! Deleting "misplaced" files inside System Volume Information Folder (in external HDD)

Guys,

The title pretty much says what I am having trouble with. I am not
technically gifted that's why if you guys could help me out, I'd really
really appreciate it.

Here's the problem, I accidentally dragged a huge amount of file inside
the System Volume Information of my external hdd. I tried the old posts
somewhat addressing the similar problem (even went to the extent of
installing windirstat) just to try and delete the unnecessary files but
I still couldn't remove it from the folder. I am using Vista if this
would help. Also, if its best that I delete the System Volume
Information folder in my hdd how would I do it? The hdd has a lot of
important files that's why I couldn't just reformat it.

Please help me :D

Cheers,
Gilbert

--
gilbert allen
gilbert allen's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/170688.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
gilbert

On 1/04/10, gilbert allen posted:
> Guys,

> The title pretty much says what I am having trouble with. I am not
> technically gifted that's why if you guys could help me out, I'd really
> really appreciate it.

> Here's the problem, I accidentally dragged a huge amount of file inside
> the System Volume Information of my external hdd. I tried the old posts
> somewhat addressing the similar problem (even went to the extent of
> installing windirstat) just to try and delete the unnecessary files but
> I still couldn't remove it from the folder. I am using Vista if this
> would help. Also, if its best that I delete the System Volume
> Information folder in my hdd how would I do it? The hdd has a lot of
> important files that's why I couldn't just reformat it.

> Please help me :D

> Cheers,
> Gilbert

I think you're in trouble.

I have no idea how you could be allowed to put stuff into that folder,
but it is used by System Restore to hold restore points, as far as I
can tell, and by writing to it, you probably are messing Windows
Restore up.

To delete that folder, you'd have to turn off System Restore - but the
folder will remain anyway, I believe.

I Googled. The various hits gave piecemeal information, so I won't give
a link. However, what I said above is correct, with the possible
exception that maybe you can delete the folder by disabling System
Restore.

--
Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com

0
Gene

Misplaced View and FIle Button on Menu Bar
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Clueless new Mac user here- when I was changing the toolbar commands in Word (2008) I lost my View and File commands on the menu bar. I have looked at some previous posts - and have tried some of the suggested fixes such as going to the offending toolbar, pressing the control button while right clicking to no avail. Any other suggestions? Many thanks, Bob Control/Right-Clicking a *toolbar* will not Reset the *Menu Bar*, it produces one of 2 contextual menus, one of which contains a Reset Toolbar command. Th...

Outlook 2003 Install, Addins misplaced
After some installation problems only one minor error remain: There are 4 Addin folders, only 2 addins are shown in Outlook. The original error was syntax error in ldpub.ecf. Administrator/Application Data/Microsoft (Empty) User/Application Data/Microsoft (Empty) C:/Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office (23 files *.ecf & *.dll) C:/Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office11 (10 files) C:/Winnnt (1 file) Is it that I may just move the 10 files to correct position (which is?) OS: WIN2000, Office 2003 Professionel Thanking for any advice -- perian ...

HELP!!! Deleting "misplaced" files inside System Volume Information Folder (in external HDD)
Guys, The title pretty much says what I am having trouble with. I am not technically gifted that's why if you guys could help me out, I'd really really appreciate it. Here's the problem, I accidentally dragged a huge amount of file inside the System Volume Information of my external hdd. I tried the old posts somewhat addressing the similar problem (even went to the extent of installing windirstat) just to try and delete the unnecessary files but I still couldn't remove it from the folder. I am using Vista if this would help. Also, if its best that I delete the S...

Stubborn Misplaced File
Recently I attempted to backup my Outlook Express using the Windows NT Backup Utility and when I tried to restore the files to the new directory they did not properly restore to the correct location and when I try to delete the misplaced folder it will not allow me to, it gives the following message: X Cannot delete Outlook Express: The file name you specified is not valid or to long. Specify a different file name. It is located in the following location: C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{D190EE07-1887-45...

misplaced emails
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I recently moved my entourage settings over to a laptop and the rules got bungled up. some of the emails seemed to end up in the contacts folder and calendar folder. (At least there are bold numbers in parentheses to the right of them. I've fixed the rules but how do I get them out, and into a folder that I can see? "RogerCoupal@officeformac.com" wrote: > I recently moved my entourage settings over to a laptop and the rules got > bungled up. some of the emails seemed to end up in the contacts folder...

misplaced .PST and .PAB files
hi all: we are running XP and Outlook 2002... I opened my Outlook and my emails and address book is gone. I have located my personal file and address book and these files are not where they are suppose to be located. For instance, my PST file is in "My Documents". Can anybody tell me the path that I need to re-place these files (if it is as simple as that... i.e.- C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator....) Thanks in advance for any assistance !! Sincerely, RossJ Just leave the file where it is, then use File->Open->Personal Folders file and navigate to the locati...

Misplaced hyphens
I just started using Publisher 2007 and am having trouble with hyphenated terms such as low-fare, Spanish-language, self-service, etc. When the first word appears at the end of a line, the hyphen ends up at the beginning of the next line. This didn't happen in the 2003 version. Does anyone know how to make the hyphens stay on the same line as the first word in the hyphenated term? Thanks ... I don't think you can control this, a lot depends how much space is needed to complete the hyphenated words. If you come to the end of a line and only self- fits, service will have to be o...