Frustrated with permissions in Win 7

Hi all,
I just newly upgraded to win7 and I am having a lot of frustration with my
permissions.  I am the only user of my laptop.  I have only my own account
with administrator privileges.  Why can't I drag and drop items within the
start menu?  As I drag, a red circle with the line through it follows my
drag and doesn't allow it to happen even though I have drag and drop enabled
in the start menu properties.  Why can't I access the start menu folder
within windows explorer?  There is a padlock on the folder (as well as on
many, many others) and access is denied every time I try.  How do I get
complete control over everything?  Shouldn't I have this as an
administrator?  Do I have to edit every single folder's property box under
the security tab?  Thanks for any replies.
Jim

0
Jim

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 01:28:50 -0600, Jim Ludwig wrote:

>Hi all,
>I just newly upgraded to win7 and I am having a lot of frustration with my
>permissions.  I am the only user of my laptop.  I have only my own account
>with administrator privileges.  Why can't I drag and drop items within the
>start menu?  As I drag, a red circle with the line through it follows my
>drag and doesn't allow it to happen even though I have drag and drop enabled
>in the start menu properties.  Why can't I access the start menu folder
>within windows explorer?  There is a padlock on the folder (as well as on
>many, many others) and access is denied every time I try.  How do I get
>complete control over everything?  Shouldn't I have this as an
>administrator?  Do I have to edit every single folder's property box under
>the security tab?  Thanks for any replies.

How to: "Enable the (Hidden) Administrator Account on Windows 7 or Vista"
<http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/>
The same site has some other good tips on Windows 7.
<http://www.howtogeek.com/tag/windows-7/>
--

Terry Heinz.
0

Problem with mailbox permission.
Ok let me give some background. Exchange 2003 with Outlook 2000. The Exchange machine in not a domain controller (did not have DCpromo run on it) Mary (a secretary) is needing access to John's (a manager) calendar only. While both user's were logged in. I went to the server as Administrator and gave full access to me for John's mailbox. I then went into my Outlook client and added the mailbox as an Additional Mailbox. I then open up my folder list and then gave Mary Reviewer permission on John's top-level (Mailbox - John) and Editor permission on the Calendar. I then...

Creating a 7.5 Test Environment
Currently, I have a Production Great Plains 7.5 environment with some Custom Code, an EFT Module and a Third Party add-on for the Project Accounting Piece. I need to build out a TEST environment so that I can test a 7.5 to 9.0 upgrade. I'm not sure how exactly to go about it. What I was THINKING that I need to do is perform an out-of-the-box install for Great Plains and the Thrid Party PA Module then create my Companies in Great Plains and then replace the GREATPLAINS program folder on my test box with the one from the Production box and then restore my Production Dynamics and...

Mailbox read permission
Hey there, we're trying to give the group domain users read permissions on a mailbox (through mailbox rights in AD). When I add the info mailbox to a domain user's outlook it will say it can't open the folder tho'. Where is this read permission for then? Assigning read to the specific user doesn't help either. We only want the users to have read permissions. No change/delete/move whatever. Can't find anything special like folder traversal rights or something. What's going on? TIA Regards Open INFO mailbox with outlook, open Inbox properties, choose Permis...

Help with RBS Based Permissions
Hi everybody, I have what I hope is an easy question. I have been trying to configure the Category and Group permissions to allow managers to view their resource's tasks in the Resource Center based on their RBS group. I know this is accomplished through the Category and Group settings but I can't seem to find the right combination. I know it is difficult to diagnose in this format but I hope there are some key items that need to setup to accomplish this. Any help is tremendously appreciated! -Bryan Hi Bryan, In the Project Manager group, you will need to includ...

find inherited permissions exchange 2003
I have a Exchange 2003 server in a W2K3 domain with user that had exchange permissions which were previously manually added to be have full rights to the Exchange org. I would like to delete this account permissions on the Exchange server, but his permissions are inherited from somewhere and I can't find where. I looked at the top of my Exchange org (or any object below it) and his permissions state that they are inherited so I cannot delete them. How can I go higher than the Exchange Org to find the source permission? I have also removed him from Microsoft Exchange System Objects ...

Dynamics GP v10 on Win Server 2008 and using SQL 2005 using instan
Can Microsoft Dynamics GP v10.0 run on Windows Server 2008 and using SQL Server 2005 with instance. Is there a compatability issue? Used SQL Server Management Studio and run query sp_helpdb. Found the following statement. What is the cause and how to resolve this. Collation=SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS, SQLSortOrder=52 Please advice. The collation of the GP databases need to match the server. If they don't match you could have problems. The reason is GP uses the tempdb database. If the collations are different, it cannot do joins between the GP table and the tempdb tables. Wha...

Conditional Formatting #7
I'm hoping someone will be able to assist. I have a spreadsheet that tracks hours. I need to be able to quickly identify if I'm close to or have reached a certain number. Was hoping for a conditional formula that will change the color and or font of the value once it reaches my pre-determined number. Thanks! Monica Just use CF with a greater than value. Set that value to your threshold and set a pattern colour. -- HTH Bob Phillips "mds310 via OfficeKB.com" <u14855@uwe> wrote in message news:55c823bdb4b96@uwe... > I'm hoping someone will be able to assis...

windows 7
Hi all Has anyone found a way to imitate wm_gesture messages? Assume i want to zoom or pan on some external application (that i didn't write) that supports those actions. I want to emulate the fingers information programmatically... I can't really do it since the WM_GESTURE gets a HANDLE to GESTUREINFO structure... Does anybody know of a way to achieve that? Any help would be appreciated Thanks Noa "noa l" <noalwork@gmail.com> wrote in message news:770e8d8d-6ec1-4f28-b1b4-0391d384c4f5@o3g2000yqb.googlegroups.com... > Has anyone found a way...

Modeless dialog #7
I want to create a Modeless dialog with a close button and no pop down sytem menu in the title bar. How do I do this I either get both or none? As you have noticed you will get both or none. But you can always delete menu items out of your dialogs system menu. AliR. "TOB" <TOB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:596EEAAC-AA74-4B6B-9C72-3D6729653727@microsoft.com... >I want to create a Modeless dialog with a close button and no pop down >sytem > menu in the title bar. How do I do this I either get both or none? > "TOB" <TOB@d...

Is it possible to configure windows update for XP Mode in Windows 7 ?
We are migrating some workstations from XP to Windows 7. Some legacy applications have problems in running on it. In this way, we have downloaded and installed those applications in Windows XP Mode on end users' workstations. We would like to know whether there is any way to configure WSUS update for those XP VPC ? Your advice is sought. Thanks Patrick wrote: > We are migrating some workstations from XP to Windows 7. Some > legacy applications have problems in running on it. In this way, > we have downloaded and installed those applications in Windows XP ...

nickname frustration
I use nicknames for my e-mail addresses. However, they are not working the way I'd like. For example, to send a message from my home to work account, I type "work" in the To line, which is the nickname I have specified for that address. But when I try to send it, a box comes up asking which account I want to send to, not only displaying my work account but also the name of another contact, whose last name happens to be Work. That contact does not even have a nickname, and his name never appears in the autofill unless I start typing his FIRST name, as it should. I have another ac...

Permission denied on hq client log
After an upgrade of a store database from MSDE to SQL 2005 Express there is a problem connecting the store to HQ. Whenever the we try to start the HQ Client program on the store server we get an error "permission denied on headquarters client log", and then the application closes again. De service seems to have started, but there is no data upload. What can I do? Sorry, user was logging on to Windows with a wrong account. Problem is solved. "Eldata" wrote: > After an upgrade of a store database from MSDE to SQL 2005 Express there is a > problem connecting the s...

bulk contact delegate permission
Hello, we have 7000 mailboxes and would like to assign an account as a delegate of the contact folder of all the 7k mailboxes. I looked at PfDavAdmin but we can only do calendar and not contact folder. Does anyone know of a script that can do in a bulk? Thanks In news:CD2BA429-020D-4795-A843-009AFE3E9CEC@microsoft.com, desert-mania <desertmania@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > Hello, > > we have 7000 mailboxes and would like to assign an account as a > delegate of the contact folder of all the 7k mailboxes. I looked at > PfDavAdmin but we can only do calendar and...

Time format #7
I'm trying to create an office rota and I want employees to be able to enter their start and end times in the format hh.mm eg 17.30 instead of the standard 17:30. Any ideas? Paul Scarborough Hi Paul, Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) On Error GoTo ws_exit: Application.EnableEvents = False If Not Intersect(Target, Me.Range("A1:A10")) Is Nothing Then With Target .Value = Int(.Value) / 24 + _ (.Value - Int(.Value)) * 100 / 1440 .FormatNumber = "hh:mm" End With End If ws_exit: ...

WMDC in Windows 7 Ultimate 05-16-10
I installed Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit version), and now I can't sync my HTC smartphone with my PC. Worked fine previously with Win 7 Home Premium, but now whenever I try and use/install Windows Mobile Device Centre, I get an error message saying WMDC can't be installed because one or more Windows components are missing. I've tried: restarting and reconnecting my smartphone rebooting my PC and reconnecting phone installing windows updates downloading WMDC 6.1 and re-installing - all with same result where do I find the missing Windows components to make WMDC work? ...

Printing problem #7
One of the computers in our office crashed recently. We got it back up and now it will not print any email with HTML format - it won't print from IE either. We have re-installed the printer drivers, etc. It does fine with text emails. Help! Dave brutus <brutus@thebrute.com> wrote: > One of the computers in our office crashed recently. We got it back > up and now it will not print any email with HTML format - it won't > print from IE either. We have re-installed the printer drivers, etc. > It does fine with text emails. Help! How does this have anythin...

RMS 2.0 Windows 7
Does RMS 2.0 have any compatability issues with Window 7? -- Akim This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0135_01CA5957.D647B190 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Akim, Just UAC so far and the need to update SQL2k5 after the install through = Windows Update. --=20 Jeff=20 Check Point Software Search this newsgroup -- http://tinyurl.com/2lmk4w (Stolen from DRS) =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=...

I get smtp 5.7.1 errors when sending to specific addresses
Hello all, For some reason, when sending to specific external e-mail addresses, users get the error: recipient@recipientdomain.com on 2/8/2005 5:12 PM You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator. <myserver.mydomain.Com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 Access denied> In 50% of the cases, we can send it after we flush the DNS cache on the server and workstation. Sometimes that does not fix the problem though Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this? Thanks in advance for any advice Have you trie...

Can I import mail from Netscape 7?
Hi! Mail that is currently stored in Netscape 7 - can I import that? I tried the import options but it doesn't recognize Netscapes new mail configuration. I can import the earlier mail from previous verisions using Oulook Express but it doesn't know what to do with thre new stuff. Can anyone help me? I searched MS Knowledge base but unless I'm not hitting the right keywords, there's nothing there. Thanks! Denise Denise <dthompso@syssrc.com> wrote: > Hi! Mail that is currently stored in Netscape 7 - can I import that? > I tried the import options but it d...

Outlook 2002 Frustrating Behavior
I have a DSL connection and am running Windows XP SP1 and Office XP SP2. When I leave Outlook loaded up for a period of time and I go in later and click the SEND/RECEIVE, it fails to retrieve my email. I close Outlook and open the task manager and see that OUTLOOK.EXE is still running as a process (I think it is a second instance of it). I terminate the process, then reload Outlook, and am able to successfully Secretaries. How is a second copy of Outlook getting loaded?? ...

column width #7
If I want my column to be 1" when I print, what number do I put in the 'column width' box? -- I reject your reality and substitute my own. Promote hydrogen - one of the best "clean" fuels there are! If you want to set column width, select the column and pull-down: Format > Column > Autofit Selection If you want the header to say "1" instead of "A", then pull-down: Tools > Options > General and check the R1C1 box -- Gary's Student "jsc3489" wrote: > If I want my column to be 1" when I print, what number do I...

Calendar permissions #3
I need to set read permissions on calendars in exchange 2003. Searching on the web pointed me to a freeware tool called SetPerm to be found on www.mailsoftware.co.uk/downloads.html Sadly, this link now appears to be dead. Does anyone know of an alternative download location? Or perhaps someone would be kind enough to upload the utility and provide a link to download it from. Many thanks, Grahame. ...

User Permissions to Forward on Behalf
Good Morning, I have a user (our President's secretary) who is supposed to be able to open the President's email storage folder, and then forward mail from that account accordingly, on the President's behalf. When she tries, she is receiving the following error: "You do not have the permission to send the message on behalf of the specified user." When I look at the Permissions for the President's email storage (Exchange 2003), under Exchange Advanced, Mailbox Rights, the secretary is listed as having Mailbbox Rights as follows: Delete Mailbox Storage (not ma...

Hiding Columns #7
Hi, I am new to this forum. I hope someone can help me. I have a workbook to which I add a sheet every pay period. Actually, I copy the sheet from the previous week and make a new, additional sheet at the end of the workbook. I use these sheets for batching the current payroll information and link past columns to new. I do not remove any old info from the new copied sheet, but I add 10 new columns to each sheet each time I copy. I tell you all of this in case it helps with my problem. My new sheet will not allow me to hide the columns I don't need to see. The Error message is "CANN...

only owa permission
hi i have windows2003 ad and exchange 2003 is it possible to define user to login only through owa and not to the network using xp. "sham" <shamun@mekorot.co.il> wrote: >i have windows2003 ad and exchange 2003 >is it possible to define user to login only through owa and >not to the network using xp. Not that I know of. -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm ...