File Sharing

I have been trying to set up a folder to share on my home network. I go
through the procedure and click done, but the folder does not show up as
being shared. (I do not get the little icon on the folder).  When I try to
see it from the other computer it is not there. The printers are all there,
and the windows preset folder are there.  I disabled password and made sure
that file and print sharing were enabled.

The only computer I am having the problem with is the VISTA computer. The XP
and Win7 work fine.

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks in advance

Chris

0
Chris

"Chris & Barbara" <newsgroups1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have been trying to set up a folder to share on my home network. I go
>through the procedure and click done, but the folder does not show up as
>being shared. (I do not get the little icon on the folder).  When I try to
>see it from the other computer it is not there. The printers are all there,
>and the windows preset folder are there.  I disabled password and made sure
>that file and print sharing were enabled.
>
> The only computer I am having the problem with is the VISTA computer. The
> XP and Win7 work fine.
>
> Where am I going wrong?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Chris

Probably a simplistic answer but are the workgroup names the same?

JimF

0
JimF
11/15/2009 8:18:39 PM
"JimF" <nobody@nowhere.nl> wrote in message

> "Chris & Barbara" <newsgroups1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have been trying to set up a folder to share on my home network. I go
>>through the procedure and click done, but the folder does not show up as
>>being shared. (I do not get the little icon on the folder).  When I try to
>>see it from the other computer it is not there. The printers are all
>>there, and the windows preset folder are there.  I disabled password and
>>made sure that file and print sharing were enabled.
>>
>> The only computer I am having the problem with is the VISTA computer. The
>> XP and Win7 work fine.
>>
>> Where am I going wrong?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Chris
>>
> Probably a simplistic answer but are the workgroup names the same?
>
> JimF

Yes. That is not the problem. I can not even set the folder to share. I know
I am using the right procedure, but it is just not working.

Chris

0
Chris
11/16/2009 1:22:34 AM
"Chris & Barbara" <newsgroups1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have been trying to set up a folder to share on my home network. I go
>through the procedure and click done, but the folder does not show up as
>being shared. (I do not get the little icon on the folder).  When I try to
>see it from the other computer it is not there. The printers are all there,
>and the windows preset folder are there.  I disabled password and made sure
>that file and print sharing were enabled.
>
> The only computer I am having the problem with is the VISTA computer. The
> XP and Win7 work fine.
>
> Where am I going wrong?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Chris

Problem solved. I went in through properties to share and then advance share
settings. It should work the other way also, but it does not. I am not going
to worry about it, I got it to work and that is all that matters to me.

Thanks to all for your replies

Chris

0
Chris

How do this happen? 2 Personal FIles!
Hi, All of a sudden, I have 2 Personal Folders!!!! They seem identical, and I cannot get rid of one or the other. * The only thing recently changed is the installation of XP SP-2. * All previous XP-Pro updates have been installed * Running Outlook 2000, and all updates are installed (never had any problems with these...they were installed "long ago." Thank you for your help! "Howie" Post your mail support mode of Outlook 2000. Line 2 of Help | About if you don't know. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "stuff" <Howie@*S*P*A*M*AetosCentric.COM...

"there has been an error reading or writing the file"
I have been having numerous problems lately with my Mny delux 2005. 1. portfolio does not show correct "Market Value" of most securities most of the time, 2. Lines listing securities on portfolio manager are duplicated and change upon being floated over by the mouse curser and 3. the program blows out after displaying the error message, "there has been an error reading or writing the file" after folowing the intructions at: http://help.msn.com/(ZmlsdGVyPUNEX0RMWCZwcm9qZWN0PW1vbmV5MDUmbWFya2V0PWVuLVVTJmN1PSZ0bXQ9dG1wOUYudG1wIC0gTWljcm9zb2Z0IE1vbmV5JmtjPSZmb3JtYXQ9)/help...

Column widths get changed when another user opens my files
hello, i save an excel file on a network drive and when another user opens it the width of the columns are all changed. what's going on? How can we get stop this? thanks!!! ...

URGENT: Excel files renamed to HEX
For the last few days, some users are getting Excel files saved as a "random" extensionless HEX named file - e.g. 40120100 - and the original file name is lost. We have not been notified of any warnings or errors given to the end user. Users are running WindowsXPsp2, OfficeXPsp3. Server is Windows2003 server running DFS/FRS. Antivirus for both server and client is McAfee VirusScan 8 - engine 4400, dat 4460. Can't find anything in event logs. This error *may* have started when users DFS referral was directed from Server A to Server B. However, servers are both W2K3 with sa...

Huge *.mny file
Greetings again It happens that after several girations of money (99 onwards) I was left with a huge *.mny file. That is OK since it carries my history around. However, it is taking too long to load, so I wanted to archive old items. That ended up with a corrupted .mny file and a useless archive. What is that I am doing wrong? --ARosenthal MCS Dallas How huge is huge? As to what you are doing wrong, I'd nominate worrying about the size of the file and assuming a strong correlation between file size and performance. See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=7. "ARosenthal" <...

I can't open an Excel file sent via a PC

Can't open file: "The .VBP file for this project contains an invalid or corrupt library references ID"
I'm running Microsoft Excel v.X on a Mac with Panther (OS X). An Excel file which I used a lot now cannot be opened - it says "The .VBP file for this project contains an invalid or corrupt library references ID". I have no idea what this is - it's a single file with just 2 sheets in it, and is fairly simple - no links to outside objects, no graphics, etc. Just a single file. What can I do to get it opened?? Microsoft Word can read it, but I'd like to keep working on it in Excel... Thanks in advance! Mike Levin ...

Search Companion missing file
I'm helping a friend whose laptop was infected with a virus/trojan. We disinfected using MalwareBytes anti-malware app. She now has a functioning pc again...but... When I try to use the search feature in Windows XP, I get an error message that reads "A file that is required to run Search Companion cannot be found. You may need to run Setup." I tried to reinstall via the srchasst.inf file in the Windows\inf folder (right-click - install) but it said 'The file "msgr3en.dll" on the Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 CD is needed. The problem is...

Password Protect Project Files
Is it possible to password protect local .mpp files in Project '07? I know this functionality is possible in other MS Office applications, but I cannot find that option in Project Pro '07. Does anyone know if it is included in Project 2010? Check File > Save As > Tools > General Options This won't work if you save to the server, but only for local .mpp files. I presume it's the same in 2010. - Andrew Lavinsky Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm > Is it possible to password protect local .mpp files in Project '07? I > know this ...

Moving my files to a new computer
So I've copied my old .pst file to my new computer, used Tools>options>mail setup>data files to introduce outlook to it, and reset it to to default and removed the old entry so there is just the one entry in the list. Both my new and old outlooks are 2003. So far so good and I can see my mail folders and contacts in the left hand pane, *but* tools>address book is not showing any of my contact addresses, nor will check names show them. Anyone know whay or can point me at an article that tells me what to do? Also, I have several email accounts is there an easy way of movi...

Export a range to a text file
Hello need some advise on how to procede I need to be able to create a text file containg some text as well as data that is within a named range in excel and then some more text. I can handle printing to the text files using cell values etc but am unsure of the best way to print the ranges data. Is there a way or procedure to just print the range as is in csv format? As well my range will contain about 6 columns, each containg a number field (formatting of decimal places is important, some have 2 dec some 3 etc) Also the range has a max of 50 rows however will always contain lower rows of...

Sharing tasks, group task list
I have a team of account people who assign tasks to a production team. I want to create a shared task list that I (and others) can assign tasks to my team that also updates me when progress on the tasks has been made (ex. marked complete). I know I can do this from my personal task list, but is there a way to have a shared task list where items can be assigned and will also be updated through exchange? Public folders maybe...? Using Outlook 2003 on exchange server. Thanks! Chris Set up a shared Mailbox and make Tasks there, Assign them to team members. In that Tasks folder, show t...

Sharing 2006 Money File
I am trying to share Money with my wife. We both have a hotmail account. I have tried to log into her account (www.hotmail.com) ... no problem. However, whenever I try to add her via "Manage sharing" and I enter her password ... Money returns with a "...could not complete sharing setup for this file please try again". I have gone through the "Access your Money data on the Web". It does not specify what the problem is. Am I missing something? Any input is welcome Thanks Do both of you have different Passport accounts? Are all hotmail.com accounts also Pass...

What is the maximum number of users that can share Excel File?
According to the Excel Help file, all users on your network, unless you restrict the number. "pfine" wrote: > ...

Can I share the calenda and contact between computers on the network
I have few staff in my company. I want to share the same calenda and contact with all my staff. How can I do it? Dear Chris, are you using Exchange? If not, on this site is an article on various ways to share Outlook data: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011477571033.aspx You will also find a list of third-party sharing tools: http://www.mapistore.com/Outlook/Groupware http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm -- Oliver Vukovics Share Outlook without Exchange: Public ShareFolder Notebook synchronisation for Outlook: Public SyncTool http://www.publicshareware.com &qu...

Shared Contacts Master Categories question
I need to have 50 users on Outlook/Exchange specify a number of contacts that need to be exported to another system. I had my Exchange admin give me shared access to each of the mailboxes in question. My plan was to go through each set of contacts, and add a new category to the master categories for each user. When I got the the second contact, the keyword identifier was already there! It looks like Outlook/Exchange is allowing me access to the correct contacts, but is using my master category list. How can I access and update each users category master list? Isn't this kept ...

DPM 2010 beta and cluster shared volumes
We are testing DPM as a backup toll for our clustered server running Hyper-V. We have CSV storage and have DPM running. Backups appear to succeed but during a test recovery all there was were the folders, no data. Any ideas? Can you see the VHDs in the DPM Recovery UI when you try to double click the VM? -- Gaurav Gupta | Program Manager | DPM This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights "NetAdmin2k5" <NetAdmin2k5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FB872DCE-48B5-41E8-B216-2E0904E637FC@microsoft.com... > We are...

Open Level 2 files
In Outlook 2002, is there anyway to to open level 2 files from outlook? It is a real PITA to save it, find it, then open it. Thanks. ************************************************ Flip the words on the domain name to send email. ************************************************ http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm should help you out. AFAIK, no, but reading this page might help. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: Curt Bates <crbates@footbig.com> aske...

All of the sudden my file wont open cause the font is missing!
Ok, so this moring i got into my office and tryed to open my 71 page publisher document. When i left yesterday everything was perfect. Now today it says my font i was using Helvetica is no longer available and it asks if i'd like to change the font. I can to another font, but this is a communication going out to stores for the retail compnay i'm with and i'd like to use helvetica. Now when i open a new publisher document or word file, helvetica is indeed there. Why is it missing from this one file? I've NEVER seen this error. Helvetica was never installed with a Micros...

Header file help
Sir, I am presently doing an application work in VC++.I am doing the coding for "Virtual CD ROM Drive".In this I am not getting one headerfile i.e "#include<ntddcdrm.h>".In msdn you mentioned the path windows nt DDk which I am not having.I am kindly requesting you to provide this header file through mail. thanking you your faithfully Kiran. Hello, You downloads ntddcdrm.h from the following link, http://cvs.winehq.com/cvsweb/~checkout~/wine/include/ntddc drm.h?rev=1.3&content-type=text/plain Regards, R.Selvam >-----Original Message----- >Sir,...

Outlook dbx file
My boss saved his outlook express messages to a file with a dbx extension on a memory stick off his old computer. How do I get outlook express to recognize the file on his new computer or restore it on his old one? He wants his messages back and I don't know how to open the dbx file and I can't seem to copy it back to it's original folder. Thanks. 1. Email Messages: From the Outlook Express menu select Tools | Options | Maintenance and click the StoreFolder button. You see a dialog with the name of the directory that has your mail files. If you look in that directory ...

Importing Quicken 2008 Files
I just downloaded Money Plus Premium and tried to import my Quicken 2008 file. I tried the conversion tool but still no luck. I do understand the like year Money and Quicken files won't allow you to convert. So I guess my question is will Microsoft be updating Money anytime soon so I'll be able to convert my Quicken 08 file into Money Plus? Please help anyone. Arron I don't think anybody here knows. IF they did, they probably wouldn't be at liberty to say. Personally, I wouldn't be holding my breath. "Arron" <Arron@discussions.microsoft.com> wro...

How do you open PDF files with Word 2007?
How do you open a PDF file in Word 2007? anybody? I tried to download the PDF add on app but that is not working either. I have on line classes I cant complete until I figure out how to do this. You can't open pdf's in Word -- that's the point of pdf files. On Feb 10, 3:06=A0pm, terrycwilson <terrycwil...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How do you open a PDF file in Word 2007? anybody? I tried to download the= PDF > add on app but that is not working either. I have on line classes I cant > complete until I figure out how to do this. You can'...

checking for existance of file before running macro
I have a macro that opens a source file to retrieve information. I want to be able to check to see if it's there first and if it's not send a msg to the user stating that the file isn't there. When the user clicks okay on the box I want the macro to end without error. Can anyone help? thx, Jim You can use the Dir() function: dim myFilename as string myfilename = "C:\autoexec.bat" if dir(myfilename) = "" then 'it's not there else 'yes, it is end if Jim wrote: > > I have a macro that opens a source file to retrieve information. I wan...

.wmv files will not play directly from my email attachments but ..
..wmv files will not play directly from my email attachments but they will play when I save it to my desktop. I tried the troubleshooting suggestion on the Windows Media website. i.e. go to tools, options, file types and de-select midi file, click on Apply. then re-select midi file and click on ok. But that did not fix the problem. It won't work, then. There's something in how the program is handing the link off to WMP that WMP doesn't like. You don't mention the email program - I believe some use a protocol/method/somesuch that WMP doesn't understand. =...