Can't Create a Batch File that's Executable

I'm running Windows Home Premium, SP2.  Windows Defender, Spyware Doctor,
MBAM, SAS and CCleaner. MS Office 2007. 2 GB of RAM. All WU's are current.
System is running fine.

I'm having trouble with Win Defender Definitions updates so I'm working via
e-mail with MS to reset my Security Settings and Permissions. One of their
suggestions is to create a batch file using Run==>Cmd==notepad and have this
file contain the following:

@echo off

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f

@Echo =========================
@Echo Finished.
@Echo =========================
@pause
Now I'm having trouble saving this file as a batch file so that I can double
click it to make it run under a Dos application. If saved correctly, I'm
supposed to be able to double left click it or right click it and select
`Run As Administrator'. No matter what I call it (reset.bat, reset.txt) or
no matter what file type I save is as, when I double click it, it won't
`run' or when I right click it, Run as Administrator is not an option.  Am I
doing something wrong?  Paul C.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Do I have a virus and that's why
these files are behaving this way? I've waisted hours on this meaningless
problem.

Paul C.

0
Paul

Paul Calcagno wrote:
> I'm running Windows Home Premium, SP2.  Windows Defender, Spyware
> Doctor, MBAM, SAS and CCleaner. MS Office 2007. 2 GB of RAM. All
> WU's are current. System is running fine.
>
> I'm having trouble with Win Defender Definitions updates so I'm
> working via e-mail with MS to reset my Security Settings and
> Permissions. One of their suggestions is to create a batch file
> using Run==>Cmd==notepad and have this file contain the following:
>
> @echo off
>
> subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
> subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
> subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
> subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f
> subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
> subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
> subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
> subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f
>
> @Echo =========================
> @Echo Finished.
> @Echo =========================
> @pause
>
> Now I'm having trouble saving this file as a batch file so that I
> can double click it to make it run under a Dos application. If
> saved correctly, I'm supposed to be able to double left click it or
> right click it and select `Run As Administrator'. No matter what I
> call it (reset.bat, reset.txt) or no matter what file type I save
> is as, when I double click it, it won't `run' or when I right click
> it, Run as Administrator is not an option.  Am I doing something
> wrong?  Paul C.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Do I have a virus and that's
> why these files are behaving this way? I've waisted hours on this
> meaningless problem.

Seems you are being told to do this:
"Advanced Troubleshooting" titled,
"Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
Correct?

But you never mentioned getting/installing SUBINACL...

Download and then install the Subinacl.exe file. To do this, visit the
following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b

Without that step - the rest will fail.  After installing that - continue.

Create your document as you have shown, but add this as the first line:

cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"

If you save it as reset.cmd (in notepad by clicking FILE --> SAVE AS -->
Save In: "Local Disk (C:)" --> File name: "reset.cmd" --> Save as type: "All
Files" --> Encoding: ANSI --> click on the "SAVE" button then FILE --> EXIT)
at the root of your C drive and then do the following...

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
  cmd /k dir c:\reset*.*
--> click OK

What does the resultant directory listing show?

If it shows something like:

" Volume in drive C has no label.
 Volume Serial Number is ____-____

 Directory of c:\

__/__/____  __:__ __               476 reset.cmd
               1 File(s)            476 bytes"

Type in EXIT at the command prompt.

Then you could could check the file associations - where CMD and BAT should
*not* be listed.  If they are - they may be associated with whatever you
used to open/edit them - and there is your issue.  Need to not have that
association.  Most likely - you are fine - move on...

Now - what happens when you try to run it with right-click --> Run As
Administrator?

One might have you try this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
.... if you are running a 32-bit version of Windows Vista.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
4/26/2010 12:53:44 AM
Shenan. Thanks so much for your detailed directions.

I believe I got the batch file created successfully by adding that one line
of code you suggested in the notepad file and then saving it per your
instructions. In file, properties it shows as a Windows Command Script file
with a little gear-type logo on it.

I forgot to mention to you the last time that I had already downloaded that
subinacl file.

Now when I double clicked the new notebook file the dos engine started up
and took about 20 minutes to complete going thru all my registry
information.

Also, now when I right click on the notepad file I have the option of
running as an administrator.

So now my question is, if this script did indeed reset my registry and file
permissions, can I now try to download the latest Win Defender Definitions?
(which are, at the moment, NOT being offered to me). Also, if I have this
problem again of downloading the same definitions files do I just run this
notepad script file again or what? And why the hell are my permissions all
of a sudden getting screwed up?

Should I wait for the Win Defender definitions file to be offered again or
should I try to go back to that website
(http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/default.aspx) and download them
`manually'.  I only ask this because the latest Win Defender Definitions
file I have is KB915597 (1.81.0.0) and the later one that's failed 3 times,
and is not longer being offered, is KB915597 (1.81.149.0).

Thanks again for your expertise..........Paul C.

> [...]
>
> What does the resultant directory listing show?
>
> If it shows something like:
>
> " Volume in drive C has no label.
> Volume Serial Number is ____-____
>
> Directory of c:\
>
> __/__/____  __:__ __               476 reset.cmd
>               1 File(s)            476 bytes"
>
> Type in EXIT at the command prompt.
>
> Then you could could check the file associations - where CMD and BAT
> should *not* be listed.  If they are - they may be associated with
> whatever you used to open/edit them - and there is your issue.  Need to
> not have that association.  Most likely - you are fine - move on...
>
> Now - what happens when you try to run it with right-click --> Run As
> Administrator?
>

> One might have you try this:
> How do I reset Windows Update components?
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
> ... if you are running a 32-bit version of Windows Vista.

4/26/2010 2:44:25 AM
Shenan,  maybe you could tell me a little more about your other suggestion
of `How do I reset Windows Update components?
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058.

Reading a little bit on this site and it seems to pertain to not being able
to download SP3 for Win XP so I'm a little confused.  Further on it says
`This article helps you reset the Windows Update components'.  Why do I need
to do this? Does this fix have something to do with how Updates will be
offered to me? And if I need it can I just click the link to `Fix this
Problem' MS Fix It 50202'?

Thanks..............Paul C.

> [...]
>
> What does the resultant directory listing show?
>
> If it shows something like:
>
> " Volume in drive C has no label.
> Volume Serial Number is ____-____
>
> Directory of c:\
>
> __/__/____  __:__ __               476 reset.cmd
>               1 File(s)            476 bytes"
>
> Type in EXIT at the command prompt.
>
> Then you could could check the file associations - where CMD and BAT
> should *not* be listed.  If they are - they may be associated with
> whatever you used to open/edit them - and there is your issue.  Need to
> not have that association.  Most likely - you are fine - move on...
>
> Now - what happens when you try to run it with right-click --> Run As
> Administrator?
>

> One might have you try this:
> How do I reset Windows Update components?
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
> ... if you are running a 32-bit version of Windows Vista.

4/26/2010 2:55:00 AM
Paul Calcagno wrote:
> Shenan,  maybe you could tell me a little more about your other
> suggestion of `How do I reset Windows Update components?
> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058.
>
> Reading a little bit on this site and it seems to pertain to not
> being able to download SP3 for Win XP so I'm a little confused. Further on
> it says `This article helps you reset the Windows Update
> components'.  Why do I need to do this? Does this fix have
> something to do with how Updates will be offered to me? And if I
> need it can I just click the link to `Fix this Problem' MS Fix It
> 50202'?
> Thanks..............Paul C.

First - I pointed you to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377 because that
is what you said Microsoft was having you do (at least the advanced method I
directed you to within that full document.)  Why were they having you do
that?  My guess was to make sure you had the proper permissions set on your
registry keys and files and folders to allow you to do everything you might
need.  Malware has been known to change such things and make it harder for
you to repair things.

Second - I pointed you to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058 because it
is an easy way for you to reset your Update system - more automated.  If you
cannot update something related to Microsoft - perhaps the automated Fix It
they provide will re-register the correct DLLs and such and get you moving
again.  I would say running it will not hurt anything for you and I would
recommend it after you have fix the permissions on your
registry/file/folders.

The mention of Windows XP SP3 in the first article is because that *is* what
that article happens to center around, but the advanced method I pointed you
to (as did Microsoft) works in Windows Vista as well - ensuring proper
permissions/access that you may need.

The second article does not mention Windows XP SP3 that I recall.  It does
apply to several different OSes (as seen at the bottom of the article:)

a.. Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
a.. Microsoft Windows XP Professional
a.. Windows Vista Business
a.. Windows Vista Enterprise
a.. Windows Vista Home Basic
a.. Windows Vista Home Premium
a.. Windows Vista Ultimate
a.. Windows Server 2008 Datacenter
a.. Windows Server 2008 Enterprise
a.. Windows Server 2008 Standard
a.. Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
a.. Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition (32-bit x86)
a.. Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (32-bit x86)
a.. Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86)

Hope that helps!

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Shenan
4/26/2010 5:59:32 AM
"Paul Calcagno" <pcalcagno@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> I'm running Windows Home Premium, SP2.  Windows Defender, Spyware Doctor, MBAM, SAS and CCleaner.
> MS Office 2007. 2 GB of RAM. All WU's are current. System is running fine.
>
> I'm having trouble with Win Defender Definitions updates so I'm working via e-mail with MS to
> reset my Security Settings and Permissions. One of their suggestions is to create a batch file
> using Run==>Cmd==notepad and have this file contain the following:
>
> @echo off
>
> subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
> subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
> subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
> subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f
> subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
> subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
> subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
> subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f
>
> @Echo =========================
> @Echo Finished.
> @Echo =========================
> @pause
> Now I'm having trouble saving this file as a batch file so that I can double click it to make it
> run under a Dos application. If saved correctly, I'm supposed to be able to double left click it
> or right click it and select `Run As Administrator'. No matter what I call it (reset.bat,
> reset.txt) or no matter what file type I save is as, when I double click it, it won't `run' or
> when I right click it, Run as Administrator is not an option.  Am I doing something wrong?  Paul
> C.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Do I have a virus and that's why these files are behaving
> this way? I've waisted hours on this meaningless problem.
>
> Paul C.

I suspect that your original problem with Defender updates may be
because you have too many security programs running at once.
There may be some sort of conflict happening.
Try removing Spyware Doctor, SAS and only run Malwarebytes on demand
to see if that helps.
It seems that whoever gave you the advice to run the batch file didn't
realise you were running Vista. Administrators have different privilege
levels in XP and Vista.
By running the line:
'subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f'
you have effectively reduced some of Vista's security.
If I understand it correctly that line gives administrators full control
of all files on the system drive (C:\) including Windows, System32, Winsxs etc.
In Vista only TrustedInstaller should have full control.
The standard Vista permissions for system files are:
TrustedInstaller: Full Control
System: Read and Execute
administrators: Read and Execute
Users: Read and Execute
By giving members of the administrators group full control to system files it
is likely that any malware process that manages to run with administrator
privileges will now be able to delete, rename or modify etc. Windows system files.
I may have got it wrong about subinacl but I don't think so.  :-(

0
Dave
4/26/2010 11:13:26 AM
Thanks for your comments, Dave.

Turns out I only have Spyware Doctor running realtime.  MBAM and SAS have
always been used in the on-demand mode. Furthermore, with this AV
configuration I've never had any issue just clicking `Install' with Spyware
Doctor enabled before. All of a sudden, the installation starts failing.

Paul C.

"Dave-UK" <Here@Home.com> wrote in message

> [...]
> you have effectively reduced some of Vista's security.
> If I understand it correctly that line gives administrators full control
> of all files on the system drive (C:\) including Windows, System32, Winsxs
> etc.
> In Vista only TrustedInstaller should have full control.
> The standard Vista permissions for system files are:
> TrustedInstaller: Full Control
> System: Read and Execute
> administrators: Read and Execute
> Users: Read and Execute
> By giving members of the administrators group full control to system files
> it
> is likely that any malware process that manages to run with administrator
> privileges will now be able to delete, rename or modify etc. Windows
> system files.
> I may have got it wrong about subinacl but I don't think so.  :-(

MSP file backup
Dear sir, This happened twice that my MSP file crashed.Many activities got automatically deleted.There are no macros at present.How to creat a back a file. And how to use it. -- Amey B. Vidvans, Planning Engineer Vidvans_amey@rediffmail.com Project, to my knowledge, will not automatically delete tasks.Crash might be by Project, or maybe something else on your computer. Hard to really know what happened when crashes involved. Could be your file is corrupted and since a crash involved, perhaps the crash contributed to that. To deal with a corrupted file, see http://p...

Outlook 2003
In Outlook 2003-- I need to have a command for me to SEND email and then prompt me to FILE the sent email into one of my folders that I choose so I am able to pick the folder each time. I would like to create a button in the standard menu bar for: Send & File Thank you See if the VBA code at http://www.outlookcode.com/d/code/setsavefolder.htm does what you need. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "jc1148" <jc1148@dis...

Execute cmd from a list
Hi, I would like to execute an OS command from a list of databases in liste.txt and get all the results in a file liste.out. How can I do that ? Below my first "code" I see a cmd quick opened but nothing else Thanks for your help ... Dim fso, infile, aNames, sBase, shell set fso = createobject("scripting.filesystemobject") set infile = fso.opentextfile("liste.txt",1) Set shell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell") aNames = Split(infile.readall, vbnewline) infile.close for each sBase in aNames wsh.echo "Base:", sBas...

Changing the default folder view when opening or saving a file
In PowerPoint 2003, when clicking file>open to open an existing file, the “open” window defaults to the List view. Can the “Details” view be saved as the default? ...

Not a valid single file web page
When opening an excel file, I get the error message filename.xls is not a valid single web file page. The file came from an e-mail from which I am able to open it. However, after saving the file to My Documents, I cannot open it. Does anyone know of a conversion or setting -- Bill Cook My original intent was to get the file to open even though Excel prevents me. I found a work around by making a copy of the file and changing the file extension to .mht. After doing so, it should open in your browser when you try to open it. From there, I saved it as a .txt file which I could then ...

How to backup reports created using SQL Reporting Services?
Can anyone please tell me how do I take backups of reports created through SQL Reporting Services (SSRS). Does anyone have documentation on procedure of backing up reports created with SQL Reporting Services? Also does anyone have steps on how to restore reports from backup? I have been assigned task to modify some reports using SQL Reporting Services. It is my first time working with SSRS reports, so I want to be sure to take a good backup of all the reports created so far using SSRS and I'd like to be able to know how to restore a report from backup in case something goes wrong....

Having Two Excel Files Show At Same Time ?
Hi, Something must have changed, I guess. Running XP. Have two Excel file icons on my desktop. Never had any problem opening and showing both on the desktop, and being able to easily click on one or the other to edit. Now, it seems, I can only have one showing. As soon as I try to open up the other, the first totally disappears. What might have changed, or what am I doing wrong ? How do I get them both to show, again ? Thanks, Bob Menu Tools>Options>View and check Windows In Taskbar -- HTH Bob Phillips (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail i...

The saved file opens as an old version of the file
I am having an issue with saving a publisher file and then when I email it to another computer the file opens as an old version of the file. We have tried saving the file as a different file name each time we make adjustments but it still doesn't work. We are both running Publisher 2003 but I am on vista and the other computer is XP. Please help!!! What makes you believe the file is changing versions? The file will save in the version you select when doing the Save operation. -- Don - Publisher 2000� Vancouver, USA "Laura" <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com>...

pst file to Lotus Notes
We will be connecting to our Corporate office over a WAN. We are currently using Exchange Server locally. The Corporate office is using Lotus Notes. We will be using new computers with Lotus Notes installed, Outlook not installed. How can we incorporate our outlook pst file into Lotus Notes? If there is a way to do this, are there instructions available? Thank you for your help in advance! Candace Sparks ...

Help with .pst file
My outlook.pst file for Outlook 2000 is 600 meg. That's far too much after exporting only 17 meg from OE6. How do I, and what program should I use to, open the .pst file in Windows Explorer so I can see what is going on and why the file is so big. Thanks again for your help, Dan No other program but Outlook can open a PST file. Did you compact it? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Daniel Arrepas" <arrepas.daniel@butler-rosebury.com> wrote in message news:g3p0e.60$pA4.499@news.uswest.net... > My outlook.pst file for Outlook 2000 is 600 meg. That's far too muc...

business portal using xls files
I am using the Frx report posting tool and I know that I can put a .doc, .pdf or .htm file. Why does it not see an xls file? I understand that i can see only one file type at a time, but no matter how I do the xls file it will not pick up and show on the web. Is there another way to post an xls file . ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Micro...

how do I make a 4 page brochure from8 separate existing files?
I have 8 pages for a flier but I can't figure out how to get them to print sequentially and back to back. They are all Publisher files created separately. Seems easy but i am wasting alot of time trying to get it to work. Right now I am having to print each one separately, run them back through to print another page on the back, etc. Can anyone help? Insert choices are only for blank pages???? What size are the flyers? If they are letter size, In page setup, select booklet. If you have a large format printer, setup the printer first for tabloid (11 x 17). Open your flyer public...

I cannot open MP2000 file in ML2003.
Please help! Just bought a new laptop and it has MP2003 on it. I have been trying to open my existing MP2000 files and it says "Publisher cannot open file." I have not had this problem with any of the other programs. Thanks! Do you have Norton? Disable "Script Blocking" and "Office Plug-ins". -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "MysticWolf13" <MysticWolf13@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA1917EC-8C32-4D11-A753-A1700497AB3F@microsoft.com... > Please help...

Error opening Excel File
Hi, I'm currently having these days an error while opening an excel sheet. The sheet is shared among five users. When one tries to open it, a message indicates that the file is locked for editing by another user and after checking with the user, I understand that he has already closed the file but the latter remains locked. Can someone help? ...

how does one convert a publisher file into a jpeg or gif file for.
for recipients with older email versions, such as Outlook 2000? I need to convert a multiple page publication, not just the first page. >-----Original Message----- >for recipients with older email versions, such as Outlook 2000? >I need to convert a multiple page publication, not just the first page. >. > Your question is puzzling. First you are rambling about convert "publisher file into a jpeg." If you are using Publisher 2003, choose Save as from the File drop down menu and in Save as type box, scroll down to JPEG File Interchange Format (* .jpg). I have no ide...

Money file won't open
I've recently migrated from Quicken to Money 2005 and it has opened just fine until today. Now I get a screen saying Money will update make a copy of my file and then update it with the latest improvements, but I can't get the file to open - and I do have the correct password. What do I have to do to get my file back? In microsoft.public.money, Windwatcher wrote: >I've recently migrated from Quicken to Money 2005 and it has opened just >fine until today. Now I get a screen saying Money will update make a copy >of my file and then update it with the latest impr...

GPO to not use NK2-files?
Hi, Were having problems with the NK2-files and I'd like to (for a while) make it unpossible to use the NK2-file, for our users. Is there a GPO setting I could use, to have Outlook not look in the NK2-file? Alex Hi Alex, maybe this site is helpfull: "Microsoft Outlook Auto Complete enable or disable?" http://www.infopackets.com/news/software/windows_tips/2003/20030630_microsoft_outlook_auto_complete_enable_or_disable.htm -- Oliver Vukovics Share Outlook without Exchange (Win7, Office 2010 Ready): Public ShareFolder Synchronize Outlook between PC and Notebook...

create date from text
I'm trying to create a date in cell A4 from text in cells J1 & K1. J1="May", K1="2006". Is there a way to create a formula in cell A4 using a "1" for the day, and the month from cell J1, year from cell K1 that other cells would recognize as 5/1/2006? Thanks in advance. =datevalue(j1 & " 1, " & k1) Format it as a date. davegb wrote: > > I'm trying to create a date in cell A4 from text in cells J1 & K1. > J1="May", K1="2006". Is there a way to create a formula in cell A4 > using a "1"...

Creating Calendars
Hi there, I am trying to create a calendar of clients birthdays. I have right clicked the calendar icon and created and named the calendar "Birthdays". I went to export data from the main calendar but I am having problems understanding how to map the fields in order for the contacts birthday info to be transferred. Could someone give me a step by step on this. I just want the person's name and birthdate. ...

Online IT filing
welcome to the hassale free world of taxation. File your IT returns online on a click with just RS.99. ...

Resyncing or Flushing Transaction Log Files
What is the best way to resync or flush the transaction logs in exchange? I completed a full back up with and error and the logs do not flush. I am using Veritas 10D. I have tried using the NT-Back up on the exchange box and am recieving and error. "NT BackUP Report Below" The Information store is mounted and working properly but I am quickly running out of space do to the log files. I moved some of the older log files to a network drive. If I cannot complete a full back up 3rd party or NTBackup what is the best way to flush the log files. Backup Status Operation: Backu...

Is Batch Marking Possible?
Hello, I am doing a mass mailing from Outlook. I will print 50 address labels per day. Is there a way for me to batch-mark the contacts for which I print a label? Thanks, Talal Itani ...

Web Site Created with Publisher 2000
'Need your help folks. I've created a web site with Publisher 2000 and wish to have a counter to track number of visitors. Calls to my I.P. didn't prove to be fruitful. They gave me a script and told me just type the text on the page. Not only does this not work but it doesn't seem correct. My site is at: http://www.pacifier.com/~dschmidt/OSIA%20Vancouver%20USA/ and the script is there as string of text. What am I doing wrong?? Don Vancouver, USA Whilst attempting to develop brick-based storage technology, Ed reads a message from Don Schmidt <RetiredEngr@BabyBell.fa...

Defect pst-file.
I use O2007 with Outlook. I have got problems with the datafile outlook.pst. Outlook won't open. I have tried to fix the problem with Scanpst, but it doesn't work after a successfull repair of the file. What can I do? reidarT You may have to run scanpst multiple times against your PST. Are there any error messages when you try to open Outlook? Have you tried a Detect and Repair from the Help menu? -- Kathleen Orland Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.howto-outlook.com/ "reidarT" wrote: > I use O2007 with Outlook. > I have got problems ...

cannot load excel file
When trying to load an excel file it will not allow me to open it and shows the message in a separate window " too many different cell formats". I am led to believe (after a bit of investigation) that the file is now too large and needs to be slimmed down. This is fine, but I need to be able to open it first! Is there a way to open this file? Please help. This spreadsheet is important to me. Thank you. A page format is a combination of upper/lower/left/right border, font color, interior color, number format. All the more reason to format large areas all at the same time i...