Can a virus exist within the RedadyBoost cache of a USD memory stick?

Hi,

I've observed some weird behavior that suggests a computer virus can exist 
within the RedadyBoost cache of a USD memory stick. I had a hard time 
formatting and needed to yank the stick out and put it back in before format 
would work.

Am I being superstitious or is there anything to this. What is in a USB 
memory ReadyBoost cache? Any executable code?

0
Doug
9/9/2010 7:44:32 PM
windows.vista.general 2096 articles. 0 followers. Follow

6 Replies
1055 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 44

In article <uobbwdFULHA.4576@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, nospam@nospam.com 
says...
> 
> Hi,
> 
> I've observed some weird behavior that suggests a computer virus can exist 
> within the RedadyBoost cache of a USD memory stick. I had a hard time 
> formatting and needed to yank the stick out and put it back in before format 
> would work.
> 
> Am I being superstitious or is there anything to this. What is in a USB 
> memory ReadyBoost cache? Any executable code?

It is a cache, and caches are used to store,
aside of data, also executable code.

Or, do you know any disk HW cache, Windows SW cache,
CPU L1 and L2 caches, that do not ?


-- 
Do you know what is difference 
between Windows versions and guided missiles ?
None. Both are fired and forgotten.
0
poutnik
9/9/2010 9:14:17 PM
On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 23:14:17 +0200, poutnik wrote:

> In article <uobbwdFULHA.4576@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, nospam@nospam.com 
> says...
>> 
>> Hi,
>> 
>> I've observed some weird behavior that suggests a computer virus can exist 
>> within the RedadyBoost cache of a USD memory stick. I had a hard time 
>> formatting and needed to yank the stick out and put it back in before format 
>> would work.
>> 
>> Am I being superstitious or is there anything to this. What is in a USB 
>> memory ReadyBoost cache? Any executable code?
> 
> It is a cache, and caches are used to store,
> aside of data, also executable code.
> 
> Or, do you know any disk HW cache, Windows SW cache,
> CPU L1 and L2 caches, that do not ?

Browser website caches, I believe.

This does not affect your argument, of course. I.e, I say that many
caches store executable code, but not all do. It's still the same
argument, and it's still true :-)

-- 
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
0
Gene
9/9/2010 10:57:32 PM
In article <z67aaxvbsld5.11qg1fek1fzlw.dlg@40tude.net>, not-
me@other.invalid says...
> 
> On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 23:14:17 +0200, poutnik wrote:
> 
> > It is a cache, and caches are used to store,
> > aside of data, also executable code.
> > 
> > Or, do you know any disk HW cache, Windows SW cache,
> > CPU L1 and L2 caches, that do not ?
> 
> Browser website caches, I believe.
> 
> This does not affect your argument, of course. I.e, I say that many
> caches store executable code, but not all do. It's still the same
> argument, and it's still true :-)

I guess browser cache stores website scripts and java applets too,
well applets may be stored in java code cache separately.

-- 
Do you know what is difference 
between Windows versions and guided missiles ?
None. Both are fired and forgotten.
0
poutnik
9/10/2010 4:25:56 AM
On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 15:57:32 -0700, Gene E. Bloch wrote:

> This does not affect your argument, of course. I.e, I say that many
> caches store executable code, but not all do. It's still the same
> argument, and it's still true

could the OP's problem have been that the drive was 'busy' - perhaps the 
cache on it was being accessed - so the formatting process was blocked? 
is this plausible or way off?

Felmon
0
felmon
9/10/2010 4:28:58 AM
On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 06:25:56 +0200, poutnik wrote:

> In article <z67aaxvbsld5.11qg1fek1fzlw.dlg@40tude.net>, not-
> me@other.invalid says...
>> 
>> On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 23:14:17 +0200, poutnik wrote:
>> 
>>> It is a cache, and caches are used to store,
>>> aside of data, also executable code.
>>> 
>>> Or, do you know any disk HW cache, Windows SW cache,
>>> CPU L1 and L2 caches, that do not ?
>> 
>> Browser website caches, I believe.
>> 
>> This does not affect your argument, of course. I.e, I say that many
>> caches store executable code, but not all do. It's still the same
>> argument, and it's still true :-)
> 
> I guess browser cache stores website scripts and java applets too,
> well applets may be stored in java code cache separately.

It probably differs from browser to browser, but in truth, I really
don't know.

Certainly the swap file (pagefile) contains code as well as data...and
there's the Windows prefetch cache, which is all code.

-- 
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
0
Gene
9/10/2010 7:43:51 PM
In article <qiis5g04tzg9.jh0uqfp4esxu$.dlg@40tude.net>, not-
me@other.invalid says...
> 
> > 
> > I guess browser cache stores website scripts and java applets too,
> > well applets may be stored in java code cache separately.
> 
> It probably differs from browser to browser, but in truth, I really
> don't know.
> 
At least web page based javascripts and vbscripts 
are usually integral part ( <script>..</script>) 
of the HTML source code files, 
so they are cached by nature.

-- 
Poutnik
0
poutnik
9/11/2010 1:21:13 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Can I change the calendar year beginning date?
Our fiscal year runs July 1 thru June 30 of each year. I need to track attendance, gas cards, etc for monthly reports. I have a HUGE table with a gazillion queries and reports for each one. I need one report to reflect quarterly output for our fiscal year as stated above. Can I make this report do that? Thank you! Create a query to use as the source for your report. In query design, type this into the Field row: FinYear: DateAdd("m", -6, [InvoiceDate]) replacing InvoiceDate with the name of your date field. This yields 2007 for all dates in the 2007/2008 financial year...

Finding characters within a text
Hi How to check, using single formula, that a text within a certain cell contains one of certain characters? For instance, how to check if there is a 'R', 'L' or 'Ps' character within cell A1 that reads 'W-RII'. Thanks in advance Hmm..not very elegant, but maybe =NOT(AND(ISERROR(FIND("R",A1)),ISERROR(FIND("L",A1)),ISERROR(FIND("P",A1)))) Returns TRUE if the text in A1 contains 'R', 'L' or 'Ps' . FIND is case-sensitive, use SEARCH if you also want to find lower-case characters. Cheers, Joerg Mochiku...

Can't install windows updates on SBS 2003
I have a SBS 2003 server that has not been updated in a couple years. It has SP2 installed but when I run Microsoft Update it needs to download and install 96 updates. When I try to get them installed it comes back with an error saying not enough disk space. I have tried to just install 1 update at a time and get the same error. The C:\ drive has over 14GB of free space and the other drives have plenty of space as well. I restarted the server and also ran Disk Cleanup, as the error message reccomends, but am still having the same problem. Anyone run across this problem befo...

Can I abbreviate one value in a data series?
I've got a chart where one value (8,300) greatly exceeds all the others. Is there a way to abbreviate this value so the other data points show better in the graph? Hi, One way is to break the Y axis, have a look at these examples of how to http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/broken_y_axis/tutorial/index.html http://www.andypope.info/charts/brokencolumn.htm Cheers Andy CMEknit wrote: > I've got a chart where one value (8,300) greatly exceeds all the others. Is > there a way to abbreviate this value so the other da...

How can I clear the last Data->Text to columns to formatting
I've noticed in Excel 2000 that if I paste text into various worksheets within a workbook each paste will assume the Text->Column formatting that I applied in the previous. How can I prevent it from happening ? Thanks Steve Just run another data|Text to columns against a dummy cell. Specify delimited, but remove all the check marks from all the possible delimiters. (alternatively, you can close excel and reopen it.) svaardt wrote: > > I've noticed in Excel 2000 that if I paste text into various worksheets > within a workbook each paste will assume the Text->Col...

Can't open Money 2002
Been using Money 2002 for 2 years no problem until now. When I tried to open it, a window popped up (maybe showing a registry or something) for about 1 second, then... nothing. I even did a reinstall and at the end of the installation when Money is supposed to open, the same weird window popped up and then again... nothing. I have Norton antivirus with automatic updates. All other programs seem to be working fine. Any suggestions from all you experts out there? Thanks. Byron In microsoft.public.money, Byron wrote: >Been using Money 2002 for 2 years no problem until now. >When ...

Can't send from OWA
Hello all, I have an 03 Exchange environment and am using the forms based authentication through an ISA 04 server for my OWA. I have a number of employees that work around the world and use OWA in order to access their e-mail. I have received reports of problems from a few of these individuals when trying to send an e-mail. They are able to successfully login to OWA but when they generate a new mail message, they receive the following error. 'Check Names.. Web Page Dialog Microsoft Outlook Web Access does not recognize "user@domain.com" Do you want to Delete this recipi...

how can i set up my pop and smtp account using proxy server in ou.
"Abhishek" <Abhishek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:90EE645B-97D9-4145-A368-E26743C547F9@microsoft.com... You'll need instructions from your ISP. -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP Stockholm Consulting Group/KSG http://www.scgab.com Microsoft OneNote FAQ: http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr/computers/onenotefaq.htm **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup. Mahalo! ...

Visio 2003--Can't drag objects from templates into flow charts.
Utilizing Visio 2003 in an Microsoft XP environment, I have not been able to drag objects from templates onto flow charts. I do not understand why. ...

Can Outlook 2003 use MSN Messenger INSTEAD of Windows Messenger?
I didn't get an answer to this question last week so I'm re-posting... I recently purchased a new computer (Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2) and loaded up all of the available updates to the OS, Internet Explorer, etc. Next, I installed Office 2003 Professional. I disabled Messenger integration with Outlook 2003 as discussed in other posts here. Next I installed MSN Messenger 6.2 and it seemed to run properly as a stand-alone application. So I re-enabled Messenger integration on Outlook 2003. The next time I booted up and ran Outlook, the Messenger icon appeared in the taskbar...

Relaying denied / Can't send to aol.com & cisco.com domains
We have 1 internal Exchange 2000 server for our only domain, dortfcu.org. When we try to send an email to anyone at the aol.com or cisco.com domain, their email server says 550 5.7.1 <email address>... Relaying denied. I think the issue is a dns issue and is due to the fact that I upgraded one of our 2 dns servers from windows 2000 server to windows 2003 server last weekend. NSLOOKUP of dortfcu.org with type=mx says that mail exchanger = smtp.dortfcu.org. The servers real name is dort2.dortfcu.org. So I guess this means my mx record is wrong? I don't have access to my ...

outlook 2003sp3: applying the inbuilt junkmail filter on existing messages?
hi all, would like to apply the outlook junk mail filter, with settings set to 'high', on emails already in my inbox. is there any way of doing this? apologies if this has been posted before, I've made a couple of searches but can't find anything... many thanks! No, there's no way to apply the spam filter to already downloaded items. <spam@redo.net> wrote in message news:1137601837.257355.134230@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > hi all, > > would like to apply the outlook junk mail filter, with settings set to > 'high', on emails already in my...

organizing hotmail emails within outlook 2003
At home I have outlook 2003 on windows xp configured so that my hotmail email is picked up in outlook. I have outlook on exchange at work and have found that organizing my email by color is invaluable. I tried to organize my hotmail email by color and with rules, however outlook will not let me do so. Is there a way around this? If I could get the mail in my hotmail account into the main default "inbox" under personal folders in outlook then I can organize the email how I want to, however when I try to do this I have no success in doing so. colors are controlled by views, not r...

Outlook 2007 - Exchange 2003
I just upgraded my desktop to Office 2007 - Removing the older Office2000. Our Network is all 2003 Servers & Exchange. My Destop is XP SP3 In OL2007 I cannot see/find any of the exisitng public shared calendars that I could see/access in OL2000. I can see them when I'm in Webmail and desktops still running Office 2000 can see the public calendars. Any help is appreciated. Thanks John Which navigation pane are you in? Press Ctrl+6 to see the folder list. BTW, Did you keep the old Outlook 2000 profile? We recommend new profiles when upgrading from older versions. ...

how can I add a signature to my calendar appt requests?
See subject question Insert-> Signature -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "tnowak" <tnowak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:51100433-5C23-435B-9C1B-5F8B8D9056B2@microsoft.com... > See subject question ...

Can I set SQL mirroring across WAN?
We have a 100 Mb dedicated DR link to another data center. Want to set up a SQL 2008 database to use mirroring from primary to a standby server at the remote data center. I did a ping test and here is the result. ping -n 100 -l 5120 <target IP> Ping statistics for <target IP> Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 99, Lost = 1 (1% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 8ms, Maximum = 19ms, Average = 11ms is the network latency good enough for database mirroring? Does anyone know the min. requirement? Field experience will be fine too....

Can I show server name instead of drive letter?
When using the =Cell("filename") function, I would like to show the actual server instead of a drive letter because the letter is dependent on where the server is mapped and not all users have the same mapping. Is this possible? Try using: \\ServerName\drive\... where ServerName is the name of the server and drive is the appropriate drive, and then find the file on the drive from that point. "bfant" wrote: > When using the =Cell("filename") function, I would like to show the actual > server instead of a drive letter because the letter is dependent on...

protect a document so it cannot be amended by others but it can b.
Hi is there a way in Excel that I can password protect a document so only I can make changes but others can read it and filter it when they require information. I have tried to put a password on but it wont let anyone else use the filters in the spreadsheet. Please help! Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter03.html#Protect -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "S_H" <S_H@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:6BBCEC50-43CA-4652-B62F-79F1BDD8DDF9@microsoft.com... > Hi is there a way in Excel that I can password protect a document so only ...

can I use 11 x 14 paper in office documents?
Is it possible to use a larger sheet of paper when using publisher? Yes. First select the paper size in the Printer Setup. -- Don Vancouver, USA "Prairie Inn" <Prairie Inn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FC032907-D965-4DE9-891D-40DF9C6E9C8C@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to use a larger sheet of paper when using publisher? If your printer can handle it, yes. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "Prairie Inn" <Prairie Inn@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

Can I have spell check ignore errors and alert me to real words?
Instead of stopping on misspellings and skipping real words, is there a way to stop on correct spellings to find actual words in a bunch of gibberish? Sort of an "UNspell check". For example, pass over "JJKSXO" but show me "SPELL". No, there is no way of doing that regards, Peo Sjoblom "JenLynFish" wrote: > Instead of stopping on misspellings and skipping real words, is there a way > to stop on correct spellings to find actual words in a bunch of gibberish? > Sort of an "UNspell check". For example, pass over "JJKSX...

Can you link 2 worksheets together?
Say i have one worksheet and on my second one I want to reference cells from the first one? is there a formula for that>? To create a simple link: Select a cell in the second worksheet Type an equal sign Select the first sheet Click on the cell that you want to link Press the Enter key. Alesha wrote: > Say i have one worksheet and on my second one I want to reference cells from > the first one? is there a formula for that>? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

how can I asign printscreen to a function key or key combination?
My key board has no printscreen key. What can I do? That seems unlikely, but it is hardly a Word issue. The PrtScn button is usually a dual function button somewhere on the top row of your keyboard. If it is not then you need to ask the keyboard manufacturer. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< ...

Can't connect to Exchange server after VPN access
I can connect to my office Exchange server when in the office (LAN) but I cannot connect outside with Outlook. I can only use the webmail after entering a web VPN access: - First portal for VPN : https://xxx.yyy.com --> I enter my user_VPN/password_VPN - On the next web page, I have the choice for the webmail and it's a link as https://xxx.yyy.com/go/webmail.yyy.com~ssl where I can enter my user_mail/password_mail So I can't enter the url in RPC as every slash is forbidden In my Outlook, the Exchange server (EXC.yyy.com) is not reachable by ping (or tracert) and I can't ...

"Can't copy the items. You don't have permission ..."
I use OL 2003, latest service pack,etc. My PST file is about 1.2 GB and is Unicode-compatible. Lately Outlook shuts down suddenly without warning, and I have left checked the box to restart Outlook automatically. This is a big annoyance. However, in the last 2-3 days, I'm seeing a new kind of problem. I can't delete or move messages from mail folders. I get the message that is in the subject line, and the balance of this message is: ... to create an entry in this folder. Right-click the folder and then click Properties to check your permissions for the folder. See the folder o...

I can't find outlook express on my Mac?
I found a folder called Outlook express, but there is no actual program. I have Internet Explorer, should't I also have Outlook Express? http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&q=outlook+express+mac what version of IE is installed? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Subscribe to Exchange Messa...