16-year old completes Sail Around the World in 7 months - learn from this

Australian teen completes round-the-world sail

May 15, 5:36 AM (ET)

By KRISTEN GELINEAU

SYDNEY (AP) - A 16-year-old Australian who spent seven months at sea
in her pink yacht sailed across the finish line of her round-the-world
journey Saturday, becoming the youngest sailor to circle the globe
solo, nonstop and unassisted.

Thousands of spectators erupted into cheers as Jessica Watson sailed
into Sydney Harbour, the finale to an epic adventure in which she
battled 40-foot (12-meter) waves, homesickness and critics who said
she'd never make it home alive.

"She said she'd sail around the world, and she has," a tearful Julie
Watson said as she watched her grinning daughter cruise past the
finish line from a nearby boat. "She's home."

Watson docked at Sydney's iconic Opera House. The teenager burst into
tears and gasped in relief as she stepped off the yacht and into the
arms of her parents, whose decision to let their daughter attempt the
feat was called an act of insanity by critics.

She hung onto her father and brother as she walked slowly and
tentatively along a pink carpet rolled out in her honor - her first
steps on land in 210 days. Fans screamed and waved as she walked by,
many wearing pink clothes and holding pink flags in a nod to her 34-
foot (10-meter) yacht, Ella's Pink Lady.

"People don't think you're capable of these things - they don't
realize what young people, what 16-year-olds and girls are capable
of," Watson told the raucous crowd. "It's amazing when you take away
those expectations what you can do."

Watson, from Buderim, north of Brisbane in Queensland state, sailed
out of Sydney on Oct. 18 despite protests by critics that she was too
immature and inexperienced for the treacherous journey. Her parents
maintained that she was well-prepared and noted she has been sailing
since the age of 8.

"I don't think any of us would ever doubt Jessica Watson again," said
New South Wales state Premier Kristina Keneally, who greeted Watson at
the Opera House.

Watson's journey took her northeast through the South Pacific and
across the equator, south to Cape Horn at the tip of South America,
across the Atlantic Ocean to South Africa, through the Indian Ocean
and around southern Australia.

Australian Jesse Martin holds the current record for the youngest
person to sail around the world solo, nonstop and unassisted, after he
completed the journey in 1999 at the age of 18.

Martin boarded Watson's boat to take over during her cruise toward the
Opera House, so she could relax and wave to fans. Watson was given a
goodie bag that included a can of whipped cream, which she partially
injected into her mouth before laughing and turning away from the
cameras.

She was also joined on board by Britain's Mike Perham, who completed a
solo circumnavigation at the age of 17 in 2009, though technical
problems forced him to stop for assistance.

Watson's feat, however, will not be considered an official world
record, because the World Speed Sailing Record Council discontinued
its "youngest" category.

And though she sailed nearly 23,000 nautical miles, some sailing
enthusiasts have also argued that Watson didn't travel far enough
north of the equator for her journey to count as a true round-the-
world sail as defined by the record council's rules. Watson's managers
have dismissed those claims and argued she doesn't need to adhere to
the council's rules anyway, since they won't be recognizing her
voyage.

The route took Watson through some of the world's most treacherous
waters, and the teen battled through monstrous storms, suffering seven
knockdowns.

Watson said she had moments of doubt during those times, but generally
kept her spirits up.

"Amazingly, I just enjoyed it much, much more than I ever thought I
would and handled the challenges better than I thought," she told
journalists. "You don't actually have a choice - you're in the middle
of a storm, you're being knocked down - you can't fall apart."

But her journey was also peppered with moments of beauty. On her blog,
she described stunning sunrises over glassy seas, the excitement of
spotting a blue whale and the dazzling, eerie sight of a shooting star
racing across the night sky above her boat.

She also had fun, chatting about boys and fashion with "Silly," a
little brown seabird that landed on her yacht and hung around for
awhile.

She sang at the top of her lungs with no audience to critique her and
indulged her sweet tooth with chocolate cupcakes she baked in her tiny
kitchen. A video she shot shows her giggling while dumping a
ceremonial bucket of saltwater over her head after crossing the
equator.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd greeted Watson at the Opera House with a
grin and a hug, dubbing her "Australia's newest hero" - a description
Watson dismissed.

"I'm actually going to disagree with the Prime Minister," she said, as
the crowd laughed. "I don't consider myself a hero. I'm an ordinary
girl who believed in her dream."
0
Skank

At least she doesn't pretend to be an EE!  Just FYI.

0
Kevin

a status like "checking" to change to date format when completed
I am creating a DB that is for Tracking engineering drawings. I want to have a status field that has the following 1. not started 2. in process 3. in checking 4 complete / Date completed Is it possible to have the complete status change to a date somehow? I want to avoid having two fields, a status field and a complete field I would suggest that you may want to change that to have four date fields. DateReceived DateStarted DateReviewStarted DateComplete That way you can easily check its status in the process and get a complete timeline. but to answer your speci...

"Marching ants" around copied cell
I know this is going to sound dumb but this really bugs me. When I copy a cell(s), the copied area is highlighted with "marching ants". Seems that after pasting, the "marching ants" around the source area should go away, but it doesn't. The only way I can get rid of the "marching ants" around the source is to click like a madwoman in a cell adjacent to the ants. Sometimes when I do that though, the clicking goes awry and I get stuck in a tangle that is very hard to explain, but the only way out is to close the workbook without saving and then re-open it...

get the latest day of the previous month
hello, i have a date variable, and i would like with VBA to get the latest day from the previous month many thanks Function LastPrevDate(Dt As Date) As Date LastPrevDate = DateSerial(Year(Dt), Month(Dt), 0) End Function Sub test() MsgBox LastPrevDate(Now) End Sub HTH. Best wishes Harald "Laurent M" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding news:06a701c503b0$3a4b7bc0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > hello, > > i have a date variable, and i would like with VBA to get > the latest day from the previous month > > many thanks In case you specified VBA be...

how to do date 15/06/04 plus 5 months?
hi what formula should i use if i want to work out the date of say the 15/6/04 plus 5 months from now?? thanks : -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com the only way i know is to type this formula into the cell: =DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1)+6,DAY(A1)) the cell "A1" (or any cell) will be the cell that the original date will be in. just add in the 6 after the MONTH (A1) to get your new date hope that helps >-----Original Message----- >hi what formula should i use if i want to work out the date of say > >the 15/6/04 plus 5 months from now?? ...

Using Remove History to delete old financial data
My company would like to remove financial data from 1995-1999 on our SQL Server. We are running Dynamics 9.0. Would performing Tools >> Utilities >> Financial >> Remove History remove the data from SQL Server (i.e. table GL30000) and any other tables that would have financial data related to these years or do I have to run a series of SQL scripts against the database tables to delete the data? Thanks for all help in advance. -- Dave Christman System Developer ...

POS
Hi I know POS can't accept deposits nor layaways. My question is, has anyone figured out a procedural workaround for this? -Luis TIA Hello Luis, I am in the same boat as you are. I have a brand new "unsable" POS because there is no way to have a lay away... Is there a work around or should I stay with my old POS? -- Fabien in seattle "Luis" wrote: > Hi I know POS can't accept deposits nor layaways. My question is, has anyone > figured out a procedural workaround for this? > > -Luis > > TIA Citi Provides gift cards that can be used as...

Money somehow still keeps the reference to my old payee account
I am using MS Money 2005 Small Business v.14.0.150.1105. Here is a description of my problem: I setup a payee (i.e. "Citibank" with account number "X") in order to pay bills electronically. I pay bills. Everything works perfectly. My financial obligation with Citibank account number X is closed after a number of successful payments. After some time, I incur a new debt with Citibank, this time with account number "Y" (a different accoutn because it is a different financial obligation). I set up a new payee as "Citibank" with account number "...

Sorting dates, ignoring year
I have a speadsheet of birthdays which I would like to change to be birthdates. At the moment, everyone's birthdays are specified on one column in the format dd/mm/2002 so that I can sort the worksheet to keep the dtaes in order throughout the year. Is there an easy way to sort a column of dates but ignore the year? Or do I need to split the dates into multiple columns? -- Ian -- You could split the dates into separate columns: =month(a1) =day(a1) and =year(a1) (you wouldn't use the year column) But I'd insert a helper column with formulas like: ...

How to find which day of the week, this year, a birthday fall?
Hello: I have a database with employee birthdays. (I enter all the birthdays as mm/dd/1900 so no one knows how old anyone is.) I have a query I use to inform the managers what birthdays are upcoming in their department. It so happens that 2007 had the same calendar as 1900 so I didn't realize I wasn't pulling the day of the week the birthday falls for the current year. Is there an expression I need to build or a particular format I need to set? I was using the number format dddd, mm/dd. Thanks. Using DOB as the employee's birthday: Format(DateSerial(Year(Date),Month(DO...

Bug: (MFC 7.1) Paste into CRichEditView copied from other RichEdit control
Recently, I was helping someone figure out a problem in an MFC application recently upgraded to VC 7.1 (MFC 7.1) from VC 6.0 (MFC 6.0). While running on Windows XP, if you copied text from another CRichEditCtrl, CRichEditView, or another application using RichEdit like WordPad or Word, pasting what you've copied into a CRichEditView would paste nothing. When googling to try to find clues, most of the time there was either no response to the question, or the work around was to change the "copy" end that you controlled, and only put CF_TEXT on the clipboard. However, it ...

Purging old data from pivot table
Is there any way to purge old data from a pivot table? I modified th contents of a column of data, and "refresh" put the modified data int the pivot table but also retained the old data (which no longer exist in the original spreadsheet). It gets confusing when I need to selec different items for a new view, since the old non-existant data appear to be selectable as well as the current data. Saving, closing, reopening did not help either -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi have a look at http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot04.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfur...

Save As #7
I am running Microsoft Excel 2003, however I've had the same problem since running Excel 2000. Whenever I go to save an excel spreadsheet for the first time, more than 3 directories down, I get the error: "The file cannot be accessed try the following:" followed by a list of options to try, none of which work. Is there a limitation on the length of the directory name recognized in Excel. I don't have this problem with any of my other Microsoft Office applications, solely Excel. Please HELP. P.S. I can move the file to the directory after saving it two or three ...

Difference in years and months between 2 dates
Hi, Does anyone know how I can get the number of years and months between 2 dates? (Using Office 2000) Thanx Subtract one from the other "Els" <Els@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E54C0D76-1313-40EF-922C-FCB0780AD992@microsoft.com... : Hi, : : Does anyone know how I can get the number of years and months between 2 : dates? (Using Office 2000) : : Thanx Hi see http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm >-----Original Message----- >Hi, > >Does anyone know how I can get the number of years and months between 2 >dates? (Using Office 200...

FRx upgrade from 6.0 to 6.7 error
All, I am at a loss. We have upgrades GP from 6.0 to 8.0 successfully, then we ran the existing FRx 6.0 version fine on the GP 8.0. But I would like to upgrade to Frx 6.7 and am getting a banner error which is fatal and the install stops. I have met all 3 criteria spelled out in the FRx 6.7 documentation and am at a loss. Any help would be welcomed. Thanks -- For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack Ruyard Kipling What is the exact error message that you are getting? -- Victoria Yudin GP MVP "ncst8pak" <ncst8pak@discussion...

2008 money invoice designer completely broken for me
Specs: Vista Ultimate Money 2k8 Home and Biz Trial Both updated I just downloaded the trial version of Money. I plan(ned?) on buying it and using it for my business. The first thing I did after installing, was open the Invoice Designer and try to create an invoice... I say try because it doesn't work -- at all. First, I tried to add my company logo but the logo box becomes attached to my mouse pointer and I cannot resize the logo. I have to hit ESC for the logo box to detach. No matter what I click on in the designer -- label, textbox, logo -- it becomes attached to my mouse...

Global Address List #7
I recently upgraded from exchange 5.5 to 2003 Everything seems to be ok except for when I want to decommission my exchange 5.5 server. I have stopped the exchange services on the 5.5 server to see what would happen. When I do this, a few outlook clients cannot see the Global address list I think that they were looking at the GAL on the old Ex55 server because they could not see some of the new users who were added in AD since the migration. Now when I shut Ex 55 down they do not get any address list. They can send & recieve email and view public folders though Any thoughts and thank...

Outlook 2003 with Windows 7
Has anyone installed Outlook 2003 on Windows 7? If yes, does it work properly? I just bought a new PC with Windows 7 and do not want to purchase new Outlook software yet. Thanks. -- W Some people have said Outlook 2003 is not compatible with Windows 7 but there isn't any official information from Microsoft about this. If you want an email program (basic but really good) then Windows Live Mail could be the answer (this is also Microsoft free program) . http://download.live.com/wlmail hth "Wendy" <Wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

How do I add the next month to a calendar w/o loosing cust format
Created a calendar page for the office with custom logo and address info. The calendar wizard changes everything back to the default when changing the date range. Help file says to add dates to retain custom elements but not 'How' to add dates. What's the best way to create a custom calendar and retain the formatting? The address lines and the logo are determined by your personal information. Look under Edit, the personal information is the very last item in the menu. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com ...

Partial Year Close
Hello! We are on calendar year but we need to do another close as of January as we got acquired. What's the best way to do this? We tried manually zeroing out P&L accounts as of 1/31/2010 but now when we print a TB as of January it's zero. Thanks!!! One option is to just go into Fiscal Period setup and change the year to reflect the dates of your short year. Set up the next year to have the remaining months and just go from there. Your 'year' id will be 1 year ahead, but your reports will be correct. "Marisol" wrote: > Hello! We are on c...

Archiving old email to PSTs
I will try to be as detailed at possible because people seem to have alot problems with this process. I am using ExMerge to archive messages from a mailbox. It is Exchange 2003 Enterprise running on Windows 2003. I have created a new account for this process. The account is not apart of the Domain Admin or Enterprise Admin group. The account is Local Administrator on the Exchange machine. The account was given Full Control to the server using Exchange System Manager.=20 This was done by opening Exchange System Manager, expanding the Servers container; Right clicking on the server; Click on t...

Messages stuck in Outbox #7
Sorry to cross post but I see a lot of this problem in all these groups. Although none of the suggestions have solved my problem. ...

Win 7 & Media Center Extenders
I have an old Linksys Dual-Band Wireless A/G Extender with new Dell Win 7 ultimate machine. I can see the Extender on the network but MC cannot seem to grab tge extender after entering the code. Firewall does not seem to be knocking down and I have an xbox that works fine as an extender. Any Idea's would be much welcomed as I am running out of why's. the WMCE54AG does not work with Windows 7. (or Vista) is that what you are using? The new DMA2100/2200 extender should still work with W7. it sounds like you have the original WMCE54AG, but please confirm On Sun, 18 Ap...

Win 7 UAC and Passwords
About to take delivery of a new Win7 box and I'm curious about assigning passwords I found this page http://unixwiz.net/techtips/win7-limited-user.html Which includes an interesting paragraph Curiously enough, it's not always necessary to have a password on an account. Since an account with a blank password cannot be accessed over the network, you can substantially reduce the attack surface of a machine this way. But this requires that you have good control of physical security over the machine: if there are users on the machine (or in the environment) who are ...

Transfer Publisher 2002 from Old Computer to New
What do I have to do to transfer the Publisher 2002 Software to a new computer? After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Dave Goltz <dgoltz@sbcglobal.net>... > What do I have to do to transfer the Publisher 2002 > Software to a new computer? Uninstall Publisher from the old PC Install it on the new PC Activate (you may need to use Phone Activation) -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading this message, view the disclaimer: http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm Install Publisher 2002 from the orig...

16 bit code
Hello, I have a 16 bit code to maintain. (It is too complex to copile it to 32 bit) so all we are doing is support. Now they want to add a small feature, where I need to copy long file names in the project. I know we can not do long file name copies in vc++ (1.52). So I wrote a program in VC++(6.0) which does directory copy. My questions are 1. How can I call a 32 bit exe (I guess WinExec should work)? 2. How can I make the 16 bit to wait till the 32 bit code completes? 3. Is there any other better way to do this? (other than converting to 32 bit) Thanks. I actually do this in an old 16-bi...