Unable to print to shared printer with normal user accounts

I recently updated one of the client workstations on my network.  This
workstation hosted two shared printers, a Dell 948 and a HP 1600 Color
Laserjet. Both are connected via USB.

Prior to upgrading, any user was able to print to either printer from
any workstation.  However since I have upgraded, all users can print
to the Dell from any workstation, but the only users which can print
to the HP are the Administator account or user accounts with admin
privledges, from workstations other than the one the HP is connected.
When a non-admin user trys to print from another workstation the print
job just hangs in the que and can not be deleted. The document will
finally print when the workstation the HP is connected too is rebooted
and reestablishes network connections.  If the non-admin users are
logged directly on to the workstation the HP is connected to they can
print to the HP without problems.

I have checked the security settings for the HP and compared them with
the Dell (which works for any user) and they are identical.

I have tried installing the HP using the original drivers I used on
the previous workstation and the latest drivers from HP.

Any ideas?
0
Skygazer61

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 07:08:34 -0700 (PDT), Skygazer61
<skygazer61@gmail.com> wrote:

>I recently updated one of the client workstations on my network.  This
>workstation hosted two shared printers, a Dell 948 and a HP 1600 Color
>Laserjet. Both are connected via USB.
>
>Prior to upgrading, any user was able to print to either printer from
>any workstation.  However since I have upgraded, all users can print
>to the Dell from any workstation, but the only users which can print
>to the HP are the Administator account or user accounts with admin
>privledges, from workstations other than the one the HP is connected.
>When a non-admin user trys to print from another workstation the print
>job just hangs in the que and can not be deleted. The document will
>finally print when the workstation the HP is connected too is rebooted
>and reestablishes network connections.  If the non-admin users are
>logged directly on to the workstation the HP is connected to they can
>print to the HP without problems.
>
>I have checked the security settings for the HP and compared them with
>the Dell (which works for any user) and they are identical.
>
>I have tried installing the HP using the original drivers I used on
>the previous workstation and the latest drivers from HP.
>
>Any ideas?
I am going to assume you have a Win95 machine you updated to Win 98,
yes?

Now that we have established what updated means ;-) try this. You have
a job stuck in a queue. Go to device manager. OK, this assumes that
you have a PS2 keyboard and a PS2 mouse. Back in device manager delete
everything about USB. Depending on how you click you could make 12
things go away with 5 clicks. Now click on your computer name in
device manage and scan for new hardware. Hard to do if you do not have
a PS2 mouse. Even if you have a usb mouse you can use your PS2
keyboard to reboot the machine and it will find all the USB stuff. No
PS2 keyboard? Hopefully the power button is set to reboot the
workstation if you hold it for a few seconds.
See what SBS support is working on
http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/default.aspx
Check your SBS with the SBS Best Practices Analyzer
http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/tags/BPA/default.aspx
0
Jim
3/28/2010 3:02:51 PM
Hopefully you are being sarcastic about upgrading from a win95 to
win98.... since i didn't specify the OS in my orginal post. Since I am
posting in the SBS forum I would think it would be assumed I am
running suitable OS on my clients.  For sake of clarity here goes.

All clients are running Windows XP Pro with SP 3 and all updates
installed.  The server is running SBS 2003 Premium R2.

The client computer I upgraded was to a faster computer (B) with more
ram, NOT an OS upgrade.  The older computer (A) is going to be used at
a different location.

The problem is not a hardware issue with the USB ports but seems to be
related to the ablity to print to a shared printer based on the user
account level.

Originally client A had two USB printers installed. A dell 948 and a
HP Laserjet 1600.  Both printers were shared and listed in the printer
directory.  All users could print to either printer from any client
workstation.  Since I would not be connecting the printers to this
workstation now, I deleted the printers from this computer and and the
shared directory.

Computer B with XP Pro SP 3 was established as a new computer on the
network.  Both printers were installed on computer B as shared
printers and listed in the directory.  When logged into computer B any
user is able to print to computer B.

While logged into the server as Administrator, both printers are
listed in Printer Management under Server Management and test pages
can be printed correctly.  Therefore the server can communicate to
both printers.

When logged into any other client workstation on the SBS network as
Administrator or my normal user account which at the admin level. I
can print to either printer.

The problem comes in when normal level user accounts try to print to
the HP printer from another workstation.  Printing to the Dell printer
works without problems.  Printing to the HP printer causes the print
job to enter the queue and stay there.  It can not be deleted by
either the user from the workstation that generated the job.  It also
can not be deleted by myself (admin) logged onto workstation B where
the HP is connected.

When workstation B is rebooted the job prints once network connections
are established.

Under printer properties I have compared security settings between the
Dell printer and the HP printer and they are identical for all users:

Administrators: Print, Manage Printers, Manage Documents
Creator Owner: Manage Documents
Everyone: Print

If after reading this you still recommend deleting the USB devices, I
will try it.  It seems like a drastic measure to take when the printer
and all USB devices function properly from the client workstation they
are connectted too.

Thanks for your help...

On Mar 28, 11:02=A0am, Jim Behning SBS MVP
<jimbehn...@doesthisblockpork.mindspring.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 07:08:34 -0700 (PDT), Skygazer61
>

> <skygaze...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >I recently updated one of the client workstations on my network. =A0This
> >workstation hosted two shared printers, a Dell 948 and a HP 1600 Color
> >Laserjet. Both are connected via USB.
>
> >Prior to upgrading, any user was able to print to either printer from
> >any workstation. =A0However since I have upgraded, all users can print
> >to the Dell from any workstation, but the only users which can print
> >to the HP are the Administator account or user accounts with admin
> >privledges, from workstations other than the one the HP is connected.
> >When a non-admin user trys to print from another workstation the print
> >job just hangs in the que and can not be deleted. The document will
> >finally print when the workstation the HP is connected too is rebooted
> >and reestablishes network connections. =A0If the non-admin users are
> >logged directly on to the workstation the HP is connected to they can
> >print to the HP without problems.
>
> >I have checked the security settings for the HP and compared them with
> >the Dell (which works for any user) and they are identical.
>
> >I have tried installing the HP using the original drivers I used on
> >the previous workstation and the latest drivers from HP.
>
> >Any ideas?
>
> I am going to assume you have a Win95 machine you updated to Win 98,
> yes?
>
> Now that we have established what updated means ;-) try this. You have
> a job stuck in a queue. Go to device manager. OK, this assumes that
> you have a PS2 keyboard and a PS2 mouse. Back in device manager delete
> everything about USB. Depending on how you click you could make 12
> things go away with 5 clicks. Now click on your computer name in
> device manage and scan for new hardware. Hard to do if you do not have
> a PS2 mouse. Even if you have a usb mouse you can use your PS2
> keyboard to reboot the machine and it will find all the USB stuff. No
> PS2 keyboard? Hopefully the power button is set to reboot the
> workstation if you hold it for a few seconds.
> See what SBS support is working onhttp://blogs.technet.com/sbs/default.as=
px
> Check your SBS with the SBS Best Practices Analyzerhttp://blogs.technet.c=
om/sbs/archive/tags/BPA/default.aspx- Hide quoted text -

Skygazer61
3/28/2010 4:10:31 PM
[...]

user is able to print to either printer.

> [...]

> a job stuck in a queue. Go to device manager. OK, this assumes that
> you have a PS2 keyboard and a PS2 mouse. Back in device manager delete
> everything about USB. Depending on how you click you could make 12
> things go away with 5 clicks. Now click on your computer name in
> device manage and scan for new hardware. Hard to do if you do not have
> a PS2 mouse. Even if you have a usb mouse you can use your PS2
> keyboard to reboot the machine and it will find all the USB stuff. No
> PS2 keyboard? Hopefully the power button is set to reboot the
> workstation if you hold it for a few seconds.
> See what SBS support is working onhttp://blogs.technet.com/sbs/default.as=
px
> Check your SBS with the SBS Best Practices Analyzerhttp://blogs.technet.c=
om/sbs/archive/tags/BPA/default.aspx- Hide quoted text -

3/28/2010 4:18:20 PM
Hopefully you are being sarcastic about updating from a win95 to
win98.... since i didn't specify the OS in my orginal post.  I am
posting in the SBS forum. I would think it would be assumed I am
running suitable OS on my clients.  For sake of clarity here goes.

All clients are running Windows XP Pro with SP 3 and all updates
installed.  The server is running SBS 2003 Premium R2.

The client computer I upgraded was to a faster computer (B) with more
ram, NOT an OS upgrade.  The older computer (A) is going to be used as
a workstation for another user.

[...]

Administrator or my normal user account which is at the admin level.
can print to either printer.

The problem comes in when normal level user accounts try to print to
the HP printer from another workstation.  Printing to the Dell
printer
works without problems.  Printing to the HP printer causes the print
job to enter the queue and stay there.  It can not be deleted by
either the user from the workstation that generated the job or be
> [...]

> a job stuck in a queue. Go to device manager. OK, this assumes that
> you have a PS2 keyboard and a PS2 mouse. Back in device manager delete
> everything about USB. Depending on how you click you could make 12
> things go away with 5 clicks. Now click on your computer name in
> device manage and scan for new hardware. Hard to do if you do not have
> a PS2 mouse. Even if you have a usb mouse you can use your PS2
> keyboard to reboot the machine and it will find all the USB stuff. No
> PS2 keyboard? Hopefully the power button is set to reboot the
> workstation if you hold it for a few seconds.
> See what SBS support is working onhttp://blogs.technet.com/sbs/default.as=
px
> Check your SBS with the SBS Best Practices Analyzerhttp://blogs.technet.c=
om/sbs/archive/tags/BPA/default.aspx- Hide quoted text -

Tracking shared records
I need to create a report that shows which records are shared and with whom. Can someone guide me in the right direction? I can't seem to find it anywhere online. thank you Sharing is recorded in the PrincipalObjectAccess table in the SQL database. Advanced find does not allow you to access this so you will have to create a report on the directly on the database. -- Patrick Verbeeten (MCPD) Lead Developer Aviva IT Extended Entity and Plug-in browser: http://www.patrickverbeeten.com/maps/CrmTool.aspx "Bernardina" wrote: > I need to create a report that shows whi...

users with restricted access

Office 2007 forms

Printing In Color
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I am trying to print a document in word that is color but it is only coming out in black and white. How can I change the color settings on my printer? Word has no setting to print in color v. B/W -- that's a function of your printer & its driver software. The settings are available in the Print dialog in the Copies & Pages List, but exactly where the setting is located depends to a great extent on what printer you have. Some printers also have physical controls on the printer, itself, but that isn't common. ...

Printer specs -- A2007 PDF
I'm using A2007 to email a report in PDF format. Some of my users are ending up with a Portrait report instead of the report's Landscape default. They don't see it until they've emailed it already. How can I programmatically force it to landscape at the time I set up the email? ...

User unknown
I made a new user on the exchange server, but if i want to make the account in outlook, Outlook says: "the name could not be matched to a name in the adresslist" I don't know what to do anymore. All the rights are the same as my collegea. can somebody help me? Go back to AD where you created the account, preferably on the Exchange Server. Is there an email address listed? If there isn't then right click on the Recipient Update Service in ESM and click update now. Advise what happens then... >-----Original Message----- >I made a new user on the exchange server, b...

unable to read file #7

SBS 2003 moving of users files

set print area #2

Performance By Investment Account
I've been trying to analyze the return calculations that MS Money provides in both the Portfolio Manager and also the Performance by Investment Account. One curious thing that I've come across and had previously not paid attention to is a feature in the Performance by Investment Account. If you click on "Customize' for this report, under the "Rows & Columns" tab there is a customizable setting called "Do not show performance based on data of less than: xx days." It defaults to 90 days. Does anyone know if this feature actually does anything? I'v...

How to split an account into two accounts
8 years ago I started my 403B and 401A retirement accounts with Fidelity as a single account. It did not both me that the paper showed them as two accounts and I should have fixed it sooner. Now that Fidelity is allowing me to download the information it is clear that I should have two accounts. However I have purchased 4 mutal funds every two weeks for the past 8 years and now to split them it appears I need to move 2 of these sets of fund transactionss to a the account. The move one transaction at a time is growing old. Is their an easy way or to accomlish a mass move of all transac...

How can I print on 8 1/2"x17" paper?

Word 2004 and kyocera printer issue
Hi, I am running a fully patched MAC OSX.4 machine with Office 2004 fully patched. I have installed the latest Kyocera OS X English 10.2 drivers from the kyocera website, for KM7530 model. The driver installs a job accounting feature in the printing presets for that particular printer. The function will work fine for every program other than word, word will not allow you the option to enter a pin code. all the features seem to be greyed out. If i reinstall and go immediately to anotherr program such as Eudora or Firefox or even Excel I can enter and lock the pin number in and it will print...

Shared email account
I am new XP user. I have set up separate XP accounts for me and for my wife. I would like to have both of us to be able to use the same Outlook email address. How do I set up Outlook so that the 2 XP accounts look at the same Inbox, Sent Items, Address Book, etc.? Thanks, Dan P Locate the pst-file for the account that now has all the e-mails in it. Move the pst-file to a location both can reach (for instance C:\Outlook) Start Outlook fot that user and it will prompt you for the new location. Once configured close Outlook for that user and logon as the other user Open Outlook and choo...

Default User object security
Windows 2003 SP2 I am trying to fix a problem where delegation of control is not working properly to usr OUs. I ca't seem to keep permissions on user account objects that allow user accounts to be moved between OUs. I think it may be related to protected account membership on the user objects themselves. ALso the "inherit permissions from parent" is unchecked on user objects. Certain user new user objects work fine and are inheriting. What are the default security to use on user objects so that i can remvoe membership from protected groups and how should I a...

Share Calender in Outlook 2007
In our organization, we have changed the the default data file path. This makes the "Share a Calender" option disappear. First of all, is there any anything to work around this? Secondly, if there is nothing that can be done in the above case, I tried sharing the calender by publishing it in Office Online. Apparently the calender is shared but when I sent it to my colleague's work e-mail address, he is unable to access it. It asks for authentication and cannot contact the web server when he enters his credentials. How to make this work? I don't want to go sharing my W...

how to know how many e-mail each user receives per day?
We are running Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003. I would like to know how to get an average of how many e-mails each users send and receives per day. ...

calendar for multiple time zone users: all day events
Users in different time zones post absences and meetings to a shared company calendar. When an all day event is scheduled in one time zone, it shows as spanning two days for other time zone users. How do we make this work properly? For the others it does intrude on a second day. BossLady wrote: > Users in different time zones post absences and meetings to a shared company > calendar. When an all day event is scheduled in one time zone, it shows as > spanning two days for other time zone users. How do we make this work > properly? Until you upgrade to Outlook...

unable to Delete shape
I am using Visio 2000 (6.01245), if i select a shape and press delete button on keyboard then shape dosent delete.Can anyone tell what is this problem.How can i resolve this problem. Kindly Help Asif Does object have gray boxes in corners when selected? If so, object has "protection". Menu/format/protection/uncheck/OK "Asif" <Asif@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:289D3FD5-21DC-4584-9F0E-36CC56FF25B2@microsoft.com... >I am using Visio 2000 (6.01245), if i select a shape and press delete >button > on keyboard then shape dosent dele...

Print preview distorts objects
I have an XL2000 worksheet that has 4 controls on it (one command button, and 3 radio buttons). When I print preview the worksheet, once I close the print preview window the controls become distorted in size and location. Has anyone ever encountered anything like this? Thanks, Bill ...

Printing problem in booklet format

Admin Account
Why do I see my administrator account logging on to every mailbox in the Event Viewer when I reboot. Also, the login list shows my admin account logged into many mailboxes. Is this normal? "Myrick" <pmyrick@keloland.com> wrote: >Why do I see my administrator account logging on to every >mailbox in the Event Viewer when I reboot. Also, the login >list shows my admin account logged into many mailboxes. Is >this normal? Probably because you've got some sort of software that's accessing those mailboxes (like some AV software might do), and it's runn...