Shared printers automatically adding themselves

I don't know if this is more appropriate for a SBS, Win XP, Vista, 7, or
hardware NG, but I'll start here.

We have SBS 2008 using a domain and a mix of clients running XP through 7.
We have three network printers plus two USB printers that are shared from
their host PCs to the network. My problem is that when I log onto a client
and look at the list of printers in control panel I will see
- 3 network printers
- 3 more copies of the network printers for each client (Brother Printer on
PC1, Brother Printer on PC2, etc.)
- 2 USB printers on their correct host
- 2 more copies of the USB printers for each client

I want each client to display 5 printers, not 35 printers! If I delete the
printer copies, within seconds for some, or the next time I log on for
others, the deleted printers will magically reappear.

Can anyone help me figure out what I have misconfigured? Near as I can tell,
only one of the network printers is in the global policy (or is it active
directory?) to be automatically added if not already defined. (Caveat: I'm a
volunteer admin that knows enough SBS to be very dangerous but has never had
any training.)

Thanks
Brian Bygland
Kent United Methodist Church

0
BrianB

Here's a link to a Microsoft kb describing how to turn off automatic printer
discovery for XP.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320138

Method 1 below:

Disable the automatic search for network printers and folders by changing
folder options:

   1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Themes, and
click Folder Options to open the Folder Options dialog box.
   2. Click the View tab.
   3. In the Advanced Settings list, click to clear the Automatically Search
for Network Folders and Printers check box.
   4. Click OK.

Hope this helps
Tim Holmes
Tallahassee FL

"BrianB" wrote:

> I don't know if this is more appropriate for a SBS, Win XP, Vista, 7, or
> hardware NG, but I'll start here.
>
> We have SBS 2008 using a domain and a mix of clients running XP through 7.
> We have three network printers plus two USB printers that are shared from
> their host PCs to the network. My problem is that when I log onto a client
> and look at the list of printers in control panel I will see
> - 3 network printers
> - 3 more copies of the network printers for each client (Brother Printer on
> PC1, Brother Printer on PC2, etc.)
> - 2 USB printers on their correct host
> - 2 more copies of the USB printers for each client
>
> I want each client to display 5 printers, not 35 printers! If I delete the
> printer copies, within seconds for some, or the next time I log on for
> others, the deleted printers will magically reappear.
>
> Can anyone help me figure out what I have misconfigured? Near as I can tell,
> only one of the network printers is in the global policy (or is it active
> directory?) to be automatically added if not already defined. (Caveat: I'm a
> volunteer admin that knows enough SBS to be very dangerous but has never had
> any training.)
>
> Thanks
> Brian Bygland
> Kent United Methodist Church
>

> .

There are 10 kinds of people
Those who understand binary and those who don''''''''''''''''t

"BrianB" wrote:

> I don't know if this is more appropriate for a SBS, Win XP, Vista, 7, or
> hardware NG, but I'll start here.
>
> We have SBS 2008 using a domain and a mix of clients running XP through 7.
> We have three network printers plus two USB printers that are shared from
> their host PCs to the network. My problem is that when I log onto a client
> and look at the list of printers in control panel I will see
> - 3 network printers
> - 3 more copies of the network printers for each client (Brother Printer on
> PC1, Brother Printer on PC2, etc.)
> - 2 USB printers on their correct host
> - 2 more copies of the USB printers for each client
>
> I want each client to display 5 printers, not 35 printers! If I delete the
> printer copies, within seconds for some, or the next time I log on for
> others, the deleted printers will magically reappear.
>
> Can anyone help me figure out what I have misconfigured? Near as I can tell,
> only one of the network printers is in the global policy (or is it active
> directory?) to be automatically added if not already defined. (Caveat: I'm a
> volunteer admin that knows enough SBS to be very dangerous but has never had
> any training.)
>
> Thanks
> Brian Bygland
> Kent United Methodist Church
>

> .

Thanks, Tim. I'll give it a try.

Brian

"Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Here's a link to a Microsoft kb describing how to turn off automatic
> printer
> discovery for XP.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320138
>
> Method 1 below:
>
> Disable the automatic search for network printers and folders by changing
> folder options:
>
>   1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Themes, and
> click Folder Options to open the Folder Options dialog box.
>   2. Click the View tab.
>   3. In the Advanced Settings list, click to clear the Automatically
> for Network Folders and Printers check box.
>   4. Click OK.
>
> Hope this helps
> Tim Holmes
> Tallahassee FL
>
> "BrianB" wrote:
>
>> I don't know if this is more appropriate for a SBS, Win XP, Vista, 7, or
>> hardware NG, but I'll start here.
>>
>> We have SBS 2008 using a domain and a mix of clients running XP through
>> 7.
>> We have three network printers plus two USB printers that are shared from
>> their host PCs to the network. My problem is that when I log onto a
>> client
>> and look at the list of printers in control panel I will see
>> - 3 network printers
>> - 3 more copies of the network printers for each client (Brother Printer
>> on
>> PC1, Brother Printer on PC2, etc.)
>> - 2 USB printers on their correct host
>> - 2 more copies of the USB printers for each client
>>
>> I want each client to display 5 printers, not 35 printers! If I delete
>> the
>> printer copies, within seconds for some, or the next time I log on for
>> others, the deleted printers will magically reappear.
>>
>> Can anyone help me figure out what I have misconfigured? Near as I can
>> tell,
>> only one of the network printers is in the global policy (or is it active
>> directory?) to be automatically added if not already defined. (Caveat:
>> I'm a
>> volunteer admin that knows enough SBS to be very dangerous but has never
>> had
>> any training.)
>>
>> Thanks
>> Brian Bygland
>> Kent United Methodist Church
>>

>> .

0
BrianB

Sharing Data Between Worksheets
I am trying to create a spreadsheet for doing bids at my job. On one worksheet I view things like quantity, description, and product cost as well as the sale price, etc. On another worksheet I have created an invoice for the customer. What I want is for the data on the first worksheet to link and auto update the information and bascially build the invoice with the data enter on the first worksheet. I know how to link cells from one worksheet to the next and it will update for me if I have all the cells formatted the same but if I insert a new row to add a product it doesn't update to ...

stop adding a contact when emailing or replying
I am using Office Outlook 2007 and I don't want the person I am emailing to be added in my contacts in my address book. Looking for step by step please. "Marine 1stSgt" <Marine1stSgt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8A561EE5-A1E2-4E02-8074-5D77AD4370EA@microsoft.com... > I am using Office Outlook 2007 and I don't want the person I am emailing > to > be added in my contacts in my address book. Looking for step by step > please. > Outlook doesn't do this unless you have a third-party add-in. Maybe you are thinki...

Shared Calendar #4
Hi All I have a client that has 40 x engineers on the road and i need to create shared calendars for them for the Office staff to view and amend. Does anyone know how to create these without having to buy extra CAL's as they do not need a user account for mail etc. I have tried creating as user and adding shared calendars but i can only see the primary calendar. Thanks Cogs Hi, Cogs You might want to explore the option of creating a calendar within the public folders as opposed to an individual user with their calendar shared out. Once the permissions have been added (I woul...

adding data from one sheet to another sheet as a dropdown list bo.
I want to add a drop-down list box on a seperate worksheet that my data is on On this other sheet that holds your data, select the range that you want to use in the Data Validation list and name it via Insert - Name - Define and type in the name, like "MyList" without the quotes. Then in the cell where you want the Data Validation cell, click Data Validation, select List, and type "=MyList" without the quotes. Done. HTH Otto "gatorguy" <gatorguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F7BB75E8-255D-446A-BE4B-D57E3204DF55@microsoft.com... &g...

Cannot find share.exe
I'm trying to assist a friend with re-installing Excel. He has a old version of Excel (doesn't know for sure - possibly 97) and is running Windows ME. He previously had this installed but ended up reformatting his system. He's now going back trying to re-install his software. He starts to install Excel using the licensed installation disks but gets an error, "Cannot find share.exe on system". Can anyone tell me how to fix this? Is it just a matter of getting a copy of this file? Where does it belong? Etc. Any advice would be appreciated -- Message posted...

code for adding data file
I would like to make a macro that would add a data file. Is this possible? Lets say the file name is archive.pst located in G:\temp. thanks very much I want to do this because I want the user to be able to access the data files while at work (data files on server), and not get the 'cannot access data file' error when she goes home and opens outlook. You do know that storing and using PST files stored anywhere but on a local hard drive is not supported, may lead to problems and data corruption and loss or locking or corruption of the PST and that no one will suppor...

Large PST file on network share <-- problems.
In my organisation a lot of users use a pst file to archive their mail. Currently we have a lot of problem with pst files. I think te real problem is the file server on which the pst files are stored. Does any of you people know that there are known problems with large (500 Mb +) pst files on a network share? hope you can help. omko h <omkoh@hotmail.com> wrote: > Does any of you people know that there are known problems with large > (500 Mb +) pst files on a network share? There are known problems with any size PST on a network share. It's simply not supported and disco...

Retaining style formatting when sharing documents
I have created a number of large documents using styles that I customized from Word 2007's existing styles. Our office doesn't use SharePoint, so if someone needs to review a file on the network, they just open it. However, if their Normal style is different from mine, when I open the document later I find that I have to re-apply the style formatting to the entire document. For example, if I use outline headings on the original document, when I open it after someone else has opened it, I'll find that the heading's formatting is lost. The style exists in the docume...

Adding a text label to a worksheet
Back again! I have a worksheet which that genius, Andy Brown from the UK, helped me create. You're the greatest Andy. Only problem is, it has no space at all or even as a row across the top for me to label the worksheet with my organization's name, my name, and the month and year. Can anyone help? I've tried embedding the worksheet into a Word document containing the above-noted info and, after about 20 tries, I finally got my mind around the terminology used. Unfortunately, the result was a microscopic version of the entire workbook (not just the sheet I wanted) embedded into...

Embedded excel charts resize automatically
In my reports created in publisher I usually embed excel chart objects so I can edit the data directly from publisher and use the reports and charts over and over. In many instances, when I double click the chart to edit it, it expands and distorts forcing me to re-size and reformat the text to the original size. Is there any way to keep this from happening? Thanks ...

Mail won't automatically forward from outlook 2000 to another email account not on exchange server
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3193857361_3699260 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit I have tried several times using rules wizard on outlook 2000 to have my mail forwarded automatically to no avail. I am in a small office running exchange 2002 I would like to have all incoming mail to an IMAP server account. Any suggestions? --B_3193857361_3699260 Content-type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-enc...

Sharing Appointments across a network
Hello Folks, I'm new to this newsgroup. Sorry if this question has been asked recently. We are running two PCs on a windows network. Os XP Pro and Outlook 2002 We would like to be able to add an appointment on one PC and it automatically show up on the other PCs calendar. Is it possible? If so how can we do this? Regards Mike Abbott No - each computer must receive its own appointment item to show up in the calendar. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent ...

Workflow or JScript for automatic/lookup address in appointment
Dear readers, Does anyone have experience with a workflow or JScript (OnLoad) to write the location in the address/location field in the appointment? Thanks in advance for helping me. Hi Sjoerd, Yes of Course , can you tell me exactly what you want to do , so i'll be able to help you better? -- Regards, Karim Mohamed http://karimmohamed.spaces.live.com "Sjoerd" wrote: > Dear readers, > > Does anyone have experience with a workflow or JScript (OnLoad) to write the > location in the address/location field in the appointment? > > Thanks in advance ...

Automatically acknowledge task updates ?
Hi, is there a way to automatically acknowledge task updates? I did move the message to somewhere using rules but this didn't update the task itself. Background: I create a new task and assign it to someone. He accepts the task, I get a new mail stating that fact. Opening and closing that mail updates the corresponding task and removes the mail from my inbox. This is the first mail I would like to proceed automatically. At some point in the future my teammate finishes the task, which results in 2 mails in my inbox, one 'updated' and one 'completed'. At least the ...

multiple pcs accessing one backend on a file share
We have setup a new linux box for basic file sharing and I noticed a problem with connecting to our msaccess backend... Only one user can connect, the other users can't because they can't lock the file/it's already in use. This was never a problem if the backend was on a windows box. Are there ANY workarounds to this problem? Workaround being anything but putting the backend on a windows pc. On Sep 15, 4:53 am, "ZenMasta" <m...@nospam.com> wrote: > We have setup a new linux box for basic file sharing and I noticed a problem > with connecting to our ms...

Trying to transfer "Shared contacts" in Address Book
In my address book within Outlook Express I have "shared contacts" and "main identity's contacts"- (windows XP). I am trying to get my contacts over to my new computer with the Vista OS. I have been able to get my "main identity's contacts" over but am unable to find the file or capture the contacts within my "shared contacts". Can someone please give me some advice? Thanks "Duane Lee" <duanelee@att.net> wrote in message news:uLHDc9DaIHA.4808@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > In my address book within Outlook Express This ...

SQL experts? Adding Leading Zeros on some Barcode Items
I've imported about 4,000 items into RMS but first edited the .csv in excel, then exported to CSV to do the import. I just realized that the leading zero on some barcodes (item numbers) were taken off in excel & didn't make it to the final csv file... Any SQL experts have a suggestion? Need to do do something like this (that works)... UPDATE ITEM_BARCODE SET ITEM_BARCODE= 0+ITEM_BARCODE Where ITEM_BARCODE size =< 10 Barcode size needs to be 11 long (we are not sending the last 'check digit' from the UPC. The solution in Excel to stop the leading zero from fall...

Automatic Import?
Please help!!! I've been using Money for years, and I have always been able to automatically import .ofx files directly from my bank's website. Recently, this operation has not been sucessful. When I download the OFX file, a dialog appears for a fraction of a second (much too fast to read anything), and no import is completed. My only recourse has been to download the Quicken file and do a manual import, which is very time consuming, and causes a lot of duplicate transaction entries. If there is any setting in Money or my web browser that can be tweaked to re-enable my auto download,...

Automatically Add Record to table
Hello, I have created a weekly service database, and I am trying to automatically add a record to a table. Main Table: JobID - Service End - Job is no longer on service. Service Table - Links to JobID ServiceID Date Completed y/n I want my technician to open a form that shows all service items that are not completed. as they update what has been completed and that service end is null, i would like a button that they press to add a new service record and auto fill in service date (adding 1 week) doing this manually is time consuming as we may have 100 or more services at one time tha...

Want your share?
Want Your Share of the money Go To: http://www.ourteamwinsbig.com/?juliafo --- MAF Anti-Spam ID: 20050811013832R0u3LbF0 ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---- ...

Adding a row heading to existing PT
I currently have one row heading for agents in my pivot table and wanted to add the office in which they work. The field already exists in the source query. To clarify, the field I want to add it not in my PT field list ( didn't pull it over during original setup in Wizard) "MandyTim" wrote: > I currently have one row heading for agents in my pivot table and wanted to > add the office in which they work. The field already exists in the source > query. ...

Run Macros at certain time automatically
Pls tell me is a way to run a macros at a certain time each day without me waking up to run it manually. Thanks Hi use the OnTime method for this. See: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/ontime.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Sze Wei wrote: > Pls tell me is a way to run a macros at a certain time > each day without me waking up to run it manually. > Thanks ...

TIME OUT Error when adding an account
CRM has been working for several months a couple of days ago each time a new account is added a Platform Error is shown. This is a Time Out Expired Error. It is important to monitor your Microsoft SQL Server and maintain your log files etc. to keep performance up. If your problem is not related to bad maintenance of your databases, you can try to take a look at KB860773 to see how you can modify the default time out settings on the Microsoft CRM server. If I understood you correctly, it is not a problem you have experienced from the beginning - therefore you should try to find the ...

Automatic updates 06-11-10
Hi , I keep being notified that " updates are ready to install " ( kb979909 & kb982168 ) . I install them and when I go back to microsoft updates , they are there again ! Might anyone know why this might be happening ? I am told that they were installed successfully . TIA , D. ...

[SBS2008] Several shares not accessible from one workstation by UNC
Hi, I have a very strange problem in my SBS2008 environement. There is one workstation in the network that can access nearly all shares, but some shares (ie. the RedirectedFolders share) is not accessible on the computer. The strange thing is that all permissions are configured correctly, because I can access the share with the same user account on other computers. Another strange thing is that I cannot access the share by typing the UNC, but I can access it by typing the IP-adres. So: \\server\RedirectedFolders - doesn't work \\192.168.x.x\RedirectedFolders - does work ...