Server Performance report today

It appears that all SBS 2k3 R2 reports are broken this morning. It may have
something to do with the large number of updates that were sync'd overnight.
The normal tricks to get the report working, aren't.

Les Connor [SBS MVP]

0
Les

"Les Connor [SBS MVP]" <les.connor@DEL.cfive.ca> wrote in message
> It appears that all SBS 2k3 R2 reports are broken this morning. It may
> have something to do with the large number of updates that were sync'd
> overnight. The normal tricks to get the report working, aren't.

> Les Connor [SBS MVP]
I was about to post on the same issue, but I think it started before
applying any updates. When I synced the updates Tuesday afternoon and then
checked for updates on a client computer, Server Manager did not show any
updates to approve even though the WSUS console showed updates were needed.
I approved the updates in WSUS, and the installations proceeded without
incident.

Going to the Update Services node in Serve Manager generates an error that
looks like it could be a problem with duplicates in the Pending Updates:

[ArgumentException: The element already exists in the collection. Parameter
name: value]
   Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.WsusCollection.CheckItemIsValid(Int32
index, Object value) +152
   Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.WsusCollection.OnInsert(Int32
index, Object value) +20
   System.Collections.CollectionBase.System.Collections.IList.Add(Object
value) +106
   Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.UpdateSummaryCollection.Add(IUpdateSummary
value) +10
   Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateSummary.BuildSummaryCollection(GenericReadableRow[]
rows, GroupBy groupBy) +476
   Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.ComputerTargetGroup.GetSummaryPerUpdate()
+117
   Microsoft.SBS.UpdateServices.DataProvider.GetPendingUpdateCollection()
+420
   Microsoft.SBS.UpdateServices.DataProvider.GetPendingUpdateCounts() +5
   Microsoft.SBS.UpdateServices.StatusPage.Utility.GetStatusItems(Boolean
waitingForSyncStart) +2705

0
Paul
4/14/2010 2:02:34 PM
On 14/04/2010 14:37, Les Connor [SBS MVP] wrote:
> It appears that all SBS 2k3 R2 reports are broken this morning. It may
> have something to do with the large number of updates that were sync'd
> overnight. The normal tricks to get the report working, aren't.

Ah... i have this issue too on SBS 2003 R2. With WSUS 2 (yes I know I
should upgrade).... This morning's emailed report just contained:

The page cannot be displayed
An error occurred on the page you are trying to view.

To work around this problem, perform the following steps. After each
step, try again to access the page.

Ensure that the MSSQL$SBSMONITORING service is started.
Ensure that the server is not low on memory or disk space.
Restart the server.
Verify that the server is functional and that there are no system-wide
problems.
Run the Set Up Monitoring Reports and Alerts task in the Server
Management Monitoring and Reporting taskpad.

I thought it was just a blip as it does happen occasionally. On futher
investigation (and like Paul) I get the same error message in the
"Update Services" node (The element already exists in the collection.
Parameter name: value )

My WSUS server synchronises overnight and new updates are pending today.

Searching Google for "The element already exists in the collection.
Parameter name: value " I found this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938314

But have not tried the fixes...

Any ideas???

0
James
4/14/2010 2:38:28 PM
I'll look into it and see what I can find.

--
Chris Puckett

"James Hurrell" <"j_a_hurrell at hotmail com"> wrote in message
> On 14/04/2010 14:37, Les Connor [SBS MVP] wrote:
>> It appears that all SBS 2k3 R2 reports are broken this morning. It may
>> have something to do with the large number of updates that were sync'd
>> overnight. The normal tricks to get the report working, aren't.
>>
> Ah... i have this issue too on SBS 2003 R2. With WSUS 2 (yes I know I
> should upgrade).... This morning's emailed report just contained:
>
> The page cannot be displayed
> An error occurred on the page you are trying to view.

> To work around this problem, perform the following steps. After each step,
> try again to access the page.
>
> Ensure that the MSSQL$SBSMONITORING service is started.
> Ensure that the server is not low on memory or disk space.
> Restart the server.
> Verify that the server is functional and that there are no system-wide
> problems.
> Run the Set Up Monitoring Reports and Alerts task in the Server Management
> Monitoring and Reporting taskpad.
>

> I thought it was just a blip as it does happen occasionally. On futher
> investigation (and like Paul) I get the same error message in the "Update
> Services" node (The element already exists in the collection. Parameter
> name: value )
>
> My WSUS server synchronises overnight and new updates are pending today.
>
> Searching Google for "The element already exists in the collection.
> Parameter name: value " I found this:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938314
>
> But have not tried the fixes...
>
> Any ideas???

0
Chris
4/14/2010 2:52:20 PM
right, it's not related to the application (installation) of updates, it's
got something to do with what updates were synchronized overnight. See
Chris's response, he'll look into it ;-).

Les Connor [SBS MVP]

"Paul Shapiro" <paul@hideme.broadwayData.com> wrote in message
> "Les Connor [SBS MVP]" <les.connor@DEL.cfive.ca> wrote in message
>> It appears that all SBS 2k3 R2 reports are broken this morning. It may
>> have something to do with the large number of updates that were sync'd
>> overnight. The normal tricks to get the report working, aren't.
>>
>> --
>> Les Connor [SBS MVP]
> I was about to post on the same issue, but I think it started before
> applying any updates. When I synced the updates Tuesday afternoon and then
> checked for updates on a client computer, Server Manager did not show any
> updates to approve even though the WSUS console showed updates were
> needed. I approved the updates in WSUS, and the installations proceeded
> without incident.
>
> Going to the Update Services node in Serve Manager generates an error that
> looks like it could be a problem with duplicates in the Pending Updates:
>
> [ArgumentException: The element already exists in the collection.
> Parameter name: value]
>
> Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.WsusCollection.CheckItemIsValid(Int32
> index, Object value) +152
>   Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.WsusCollection.OnInsert(Int32
> index, Object value) +20
>   System.Collections.CollectionBase.System.Collections.IList.Add(Object
> value) +106
>
> Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.UpdateSummaryCollection.Add(IUpdateSummary
> value) +10
>
> Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateSummary.BuildSummaryCollection(GenericReadableRow[]
> rows, GroupBy groupBy) +476
>
> Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.ComputerTargetGroup.GetSummaryPerUpdate()
> +117
>   Microsoft.SBS.UpdateServices.DataProvider.GetPendingUpdateCollection()
> +420
>   Microsoft.SBS.UpdateServices.DataProvider.GetPendingUpdateCounts() +5
>   Microsoft.SBS.UpdateServices.StatusPage.Utility.GetStatusItems(Boolean
> waitingForSyncStart) +2705

0
Les
4/14/2010 4:17:44 PM
I've narrowed it down to the Security Update for Exchange Server 2003
Service Pack 2 (KB976702) - Non-cluster (MS10-024).  If you decline that one
(not that I recommend it), the Update Services page
(http://localhost/updateservices/home.aspx) loads without error.

Now , on to figure out what within that update is causing the error.

--
Chris Puckett

"Chris Puckett [MSFT]" <chris.puckett@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'll look into it and see what I can find.
>
> --
> Chris Puckett

> rights.
>

> "James Hurrell" <"j_a_hurrell at hotmail com"> wrote in message
>> On 14/04/2010 14:37, Les Connor [SBS MVP] wrote:
>>> It appears that all SBS 2k3 R2 reports are broken this morning. It may
>>> have something to do with the large number of updates that were sync'd
>>> overnight. The normal tricks to get the report working, aren't.
>>>
>> Ah... i have this issue too on SBS 2003 R2. With WSUS 2 (yes I know I
>> should upgrade).... This morning's emailed report just contained:
>>
>> The page cannot be displayed
>> An error occurred on the page you are trying to view.

>> To work around this problem, perform the following steps. After each
>> step, try again to access the page.
>>
>> Ensure that the MSSQL$SBSMONITORING service is started.
>> Ensure that the server is not low on memory or disk space.
>> Restart the server.
>> Verify that the server is functional and that there are no system-wide
>> problems.
>> Run the Set Up Monitoring Reports and Alerts task in the Server
>> Management Monitoring and Reporting taskpad.
>>

>> I thought it was just a blip as it does happen occasionally. On futher
>> investigation (and like Paul) I get the same error message in the "Update
>> Services" node (The element already exists in the collection. Parameter
>> name: value )
>>
>> My WSUS server synchronises overnight and new updates are pending today.
>>
>> Searching Google for "The element already exists in the collection.
>> Parameter name: value " I found this:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938314
>>
>> But have not tried the fixes...
>>
>> Any ideas???

0
Chris
4/14/2010 6:00:44 PM
Thanks for your efforts, Chris.

Les Connor [SBS MVP]

> I've narrowed it down to the Security Update for Exchange Server 2003
> Service Pack 2 (KB976702) - Non-cluster (MS10-024).  If you decline that
> one (not that I recommend it), the Update Services page
> (http://localhost/updateservices/home.aspx) loads without error.
>
> Now , on to figure out what within that update is causing the error.
>
> --
> Chris Puckett

> rights.
>

> "Chris Puckett [MSFT]" <chris.puckett@online.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:#DLDYI#2KHA.5212@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> I'll look into it and see what I can find.
>>
>> --
>> Chris Puckett

>> rights.
>>

>> "James Hurrell" <"j_a_hurrell at hotmail com"> wrote in message
>>>>
>>> Ah... i have this issue too on SBS 2003 R2. With WSUS 2 (yes I know I
>>> should upgrade).... This morning's emailed report just contained:
>>>
>>> The page cannot be displayed
>>> An error occurred on the page you are trying to view.

>>> To work around this problem, perform the following steps. After each
>>> step, try again to access the page.
>>>
>>> Ensure that the MSSQL$SBSMONITORING service is started.
>>> Ensure that the server is not low on memory or disk space.
>>> Restart the server.
>>> Verify that the server is functional and that there are no system-wide
>>> problems.
>>> Run the Set Up Monitoring Reports and Alerts task in the Server
>>> Management Monitoring and Reporting taskpad.
>>>

>>> I thought it was just a blip as it does happen occasionally. On futher
>>> investigation (and like Paul) I get the same error message in the
>>> "Update Services" node (The element already exists in the collection.
>>> Parameter name: value )
>>>
>>> My WSUS server synchronises overnight and new updates are pending today.
>>>
>>> Searching Google for "The element already exists in the collection.
>>> Parameter name: value " I found this:
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938314
>>>
>>> But have not tried the fixes...
>>>
>>> Any ideas???

0
Les
4/14/2010 6:17:46 PM
Something in the title? that's preventing the report from generating,
causing the error on the parent node of SBSUpdate, and also preventing the
child nodes of SBS Update from showing any updates.

Les Connor [SBS MVP]

"Chris Puckett [MSFT]" <chris.puckett@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've narrowed it down to the Security Update for Exchange Server 2003
> Service Pack 2 (KB976702) - Non-cluster (MS10-024).  If you decline that
> one (not that I recommend it), the Update Services page
> (http://localhost/updateservices/home.aspx) loads without error.
>
> Now , on to figure out what within that update is causing the error.
>
> --
> Chris Puckett

> rights.
>

> "Chris Puckett [MSFT]" <chris.puckett@online.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:#DLDYI#2KHA.5212@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> I'll look into it and see what I can find.
>>
>> --
>> Chris Puckett

>> rights.
>>

>> "James Hurrell" <"j_a_hurrell at hotmail com"> wrote in message
>>>>
>>> Ah... i have this issue too on SBS 2003 R2. With WSUS 2 (yes I know I
>>> should upgrade).... This morning's emailed report just contained:
>>>
>>> The page cannot be displayed
>>> An error occurred on the page you are trying to view.

>>> To work around this problem, perform the following steps. After each
>>> step, try again to access the page.
>>>
>>> Ensure that the MSSQL$SBSMONITORING service is started.
>>> Ensure that the server is not low on memory or disk space.
>>> Restart the server.
>>> Verify that the server is functional and that there are no system-wide
>>> problems.
>>> Run the Set Up Monitoring Reports and Alerts task in the Server
>>> Management Monitoring and Reporting taskpad.
>>>

>>> I thought it was just a blip as it does happen occasionally. On futher
>>> investigation (and like Paul) I get the same error message in the
>>> "Update Services" node (The element already exists in the collection.
>>> Parameter name: value )
>>>
>>> My WSUS server synchronises overnight and new updates are pending today.
>>>
>>> Searching Google for "The element already exists in the collection.
>>> Parameter name: value " I found this:
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938314
>>>
>>> But have not tried the fixes...
>>>
>>> Any ideas???

0
Les
4/14/2010 6:35:26 PM
Not that you need someone to confirm ... ;-) but declining that update does
indeed fix the report, and the SBS Update Services nodes in standard
management.

Approving the update (if approval is pending) breaks everything again. So if
the update status is anything but 'declined', the error exists.

Les Connor [SBS MVP]

"Chris Puckett [MSFT]" <chris.puckett@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've narrowed it down to the Security Update for Exchange Server 2003
> Service Pack 2 (KB976702) - Non-cluster (MS10-024).  If you decline that
> one (not that I recommend it), the Update Services page
> (http://localhost/updateservices/home.aspx) loads without error.
>
> Now , on to figure out what within that update is causing the error.
>
> --
> Chris Puckett

> rights.
>

> "Chris Puckett [MSFT]" <chris.puckett@online.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:#DLDYI#2KHA.5212@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> I'll look into it and see what I can find.
>>
>> --
>> Chris Puckett

>> rights.
>>

>> "James Hurrell" <"j_a_hurrell at hotmail com"> wrote in message
>>>>
>>> Ah... i have this issue too on SBS 2003 R2. With WSUS 2 (yes I know I
>>> should upgrade).... This morning's emailed report just contained:
>>>
>>> The page cannot be displayed
>>> An error occurred on the page you are trying to view.

>>> To work around this problem, perform the following steps. After each
>>> step, try again to access the page.
>>>
>>> Ensure that the MSSQL$SBSMONITORING service is started.
>>> Ensure that the server is not low on memory or disk space.
>>> Restart the server.
>>> Verify that the server is functional and that there are no system-wide
>>> problems.
>>> Run the Set Up Monitoring Reports and Alerts task in the Server
>>> Management Monitoring and Reporting taskpad.
>>>

>>> I thought it was just a blip as it does happen occasionally. On futher
>>> investigation (and like Paul) I get the same error message in the
>>> "Update Services" node (The element already exists in the collection.
>>> Parameter name: value )
>>>
>>> My WSUS server synchronises overnight and new updates are pending today.
>>>
>>> Searching Google for "The element already exists in the collection.
>>> Parameter name: value " I found this:
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938314
>>>
>>> But have not tried the fixes...
>>>
>>> Any ideas???

0
Les
4/14/2010 6:47:36 PM
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 13:00:44 -0500, "Chris Puckett [MSFT]"
<chris.puckett@online.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I've narrowed it down to the Security Update for Exchange Server 2003
>Service Pack 2 (KB976702) - Non-cluster (MS10-024).  If you decline that one
>(not that I recommend it), the Update Services page
>(http://localhost/updateservices/home.aspx) loads without error.
>
>Now , on to figure out what within that update is causing the error.

Very well spotted....though sadly uninstalling it after the event
doesn't magically make it al work again :-(

Jim
0
Jim
4/14/2010 7:10:50 PM
Jim wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 13:00:44 -0500, "Chris Puckett [MSFT]"
> <chris.puckett@online.microsoft.com> wrote:
>

>> I've narrowed it down to the Security Update for Exchange Server 2003
>> Service Pack 2 (KB976702) - Non-cluster (MS10-024).  If you decline that one
>> (not that I recommend it), the Update Services page
>> (http://localhost/updateservices/home.aspx) loads without error.
>>
>> Now , on to figure out what within that update is causing the error.
>>

> Very well spotted....though sadly uninstalling it after the event
> doesn't magically make it al work again :-(
>

> Jim

You don't want to uninstall this update you want to decline it in WSUS.

Hang tight, there will be step by step instructions to deal with this.
0
Susan
4/14/2010 7:29:38 PM
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 12:29:38 -0700, Susan Bradley
<sbradcpa@pacbell.net> wrote:

>Jim wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 13:00:44 -0500, "Chris Puckett [MSFT]"
>> <chris.puckett@online.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I've narrowed it down to the Security Update for Exchange Server 2003
>>> Service Pack 2 (KB976702) - Non-cluster (MS10-024).  If you decline that one
>>> (not that I recommend it), the Update Services page
>>> (http://localhost/updateservices/home.aspx) loads without error.
>>>
>>> Now , on to figure out what within that update is causing the error.
>>>

>> Very well spotted....though sadly uninstalling it after the event
>> doesn't magically make it al work again :-(
>>

>> Jim
>>
>You don't want to uninstall this update you want to decline it in WSUS.
>
>Hang tight, there will be step by step instructions to deal with this.

Agreed......bit late for that though.

No worries, I'll be patient. I'm travelling tomorrow and Friday anyway
so won't have access untl then.

Good luck in finding the answer, I really appreciate your efforts.

Jim

0
Jim
4/14/2010 7:34:37 PM
On 14/04/2010 19:00, Chris Puckett [MSFT] wrote:
> I've narrowed it down to the Security Update for Exchange Server 2003
> Service Pack 2 (KB976702) - Non-cluster (MS10-024). If you decline that
> one (not that I recommend it), the Update Services page
> (http://localhost/updateservices/home.aspx) loads without error.
>
> Now , on to figure out what within that update is causing the error.

Thanks for your effort Chris. I've not declined the update at the moment
- will wait to see if there is anything further that can be done.

Many thanks.
0
James
4/14/2010 7:35:21 PM
Jim wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 12:29:38 -0700, Susan Bradley
> <sbradcpa@pacbell.net> wrote:
>

>> Jim wrote:

>>> Very well spotted....though sadly uninstalling it after the event
>>> doesn't magically make it al work again :-(
>>>

>>> Jim
>>>

>> You don't want to uninstall this update you want to decline it in WSUS.
>>
>> Hang tight, there will be step by step instructions to deal with this.
>>

> Agreed......bit late for that though.
>
> No worries, I'll be patient. I'm travelling tomorrow and Friday anyway
> so won't have access untl then.
>
> Good luck in finding the answer, I really appreciate your efforts.
>

> Jim

Just manually go to Microsoft updateon the box and install it.
0
Susan
4/14/2010 7:40:26 PM
Workaround:

What works:

1.	Approve the update, if not already
2.	Install (if you install only this one, a restart is not required)
3.	Decline in WSUS

I imagine any workaround that includes item 3 will do - but the update
should be installed, if not now, soon. So if you disable prior to
installation, remember to install it one way or another - either MU, or by
approving in WSUS.

There may be a better solution posted later, but for those that want a
report tomorrow ;-), this will do for now.

Les Connor [SBS MVP]

"James Hurrell" <j_a_hurrell@remove.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On 14/04/2010 19:00, Chris Puckett [MSFT] wrote:
>> I've narrowed it down to the Security Update for Exchange Server 2003
>> Service Pack 2 (KB976702) - Non-cluster (MS10-024). If you decline that
>> one (not that I recommend it), the Update Services page
>> (http://localhost/updateservices/home.aspx) loads without error.
>>
>> Now , on to figure out what within that update is causing the error.
>>
> Thanks for your effort Chris. I've not declined the update at the moment -
> will wait to see if there is anything further that can be done.
>
> Many thanks.

0
Les
4/14/2010 9:39:25 PM
Here's the solution for now.

Go into the WSUS Console and DECLINE Security Update for Exchange 2000
Server Service Pack 3 (KB976703)

--
Chris Puckett

"James Hurrell" <j_a_hurrell@remove.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On 14/04/2010 19:00, Chris Puckett [MSFT] wrote:
>> I've narrowed it down to the Security Update for Exchange Server 2003
>> Service Pack 2 (KB976702) - Non-cluster (MS10-024). If you decline that
>> one (not that I recommend it), the Update Services page
>> (http://localhost/updateservices/home.aspx) loads without error.
>>
>> Now , on to figure out what within that update is causing the error.
>>
> Thanks for your effort Chris. I've not declined the update at the moment -
> will wait to see if there is anything further that can be done.
>
> Many thanks.

0
Chris
4/14/2010 9:53:26 PM
Chris Puckett [MSFT] wrote:
> Here's the solution for now.
>
> Go into the WSUS Console and DECLINE Security Update for Exchange 2000
> Server Service Pack 3 (KB976703)

The Official SBS Blog : Windows SBS 2003 Update Services Gives Error:
The Element Already Exists in the Collection:
http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2010/04/14/windows-sbs-2003-update-services-gives-error-the-element-already-exists-in-the-collection.aspx
0
Susan
4/15/2010 4:15:25 AM
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 21:15:25 -0700, Susan Bradley
<sbradcpa@pacbell.net> wrote:

>Chris Puckett [MSFT] wrote:
>> Here's the solution for now.
>>
>> Go into the WSUS Console and DECLINE Security Update for Exchange 2000
>> Server Service Pack 3 (KB976703)
>>
>The Official SBS Blog : Windows SBS 2003 Update Services Gives Error:
>The Element Already Exists in the Collection:
>http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2010/04/14/windows-sbs-2003-update-services-gives-error-the-element-already-exists-in-the-collection.aspx

You guys rock!

May I ask how you narrowed it down to this one?

Jim
0
Jim
4/15/2010 6:08:39 AM
Jim wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 21:15:25 -0700, Susan Bradley
> <sbradcpa@pacbell.net> wrote:
>

>> Chris Puckett [MSFT] wrote:
>>
>>> Here's the solution for now.
>>>
>>> Go into the WSUS Console and DECLINE Security Update for Exchange 2000
>>> Server Service Pack 3 (KB976703)
>>>

>> The Official SBS Blog : Windows SBS 2003 Update Services Gives Error:
>> The Element Already Exists in the Collection:
>> http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2010/04/14/windows-sbs-2003-update-services-gives-error-the-element-already-exists-in-the-collection.aspx
>>

> You guys rock!
>
> May I ask how you narrowed it down to this one?
>

> Jim

Easy.  Chris, Damian and Justin are geniuses.

I'm guessing tracing back through the WSUS sync logs and seeing what it
was barfing on.
0
Susan
4/15/2010 6:34:38 AM
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 23:34:38 -0700, Susan Bradley
<sbradcpa@pacbell.net> wrote:

>Jim wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 21:15:25 -0700, Susan Bradley
>> <sbradcpa@pacbell.net> wrote:

>>> The Official SBS Blog : Windows SBS 2003 Update Services Gives Error:
>>> The Element Already Exists in the Collection:
>>> http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2010/04/14/windows-sbs-2003-update-services-gives-error-the-element-already-exists-in-the-collection.aspx
>>>

>> You guys rock!
>>
>> May I ask how you narrowed it down to this one?
>>

>> Jim
>>
>Easy.  Chris, Damian and Justin are geniuses.
>

>I'm guessing tracing back through the WSUS sync logs and seeing what it
>was barfing on.

Beer is on the way to you all :-)

Jim
0
Jim
4/15/2010 6:47:10 AM
Hi Susan

The performance report has now been restored in our environment. Thank you.

We now have an unpatched Exchange Server right?

Please advise.

Regards
Graham

On 14/04/2010 22:53, Chris Puckett [MSFT] wrote:
> Here's the solution for now.
>
> Go into the WSUS Console and DECLINE Security Update for Exchange 2000
> Server Service Pack 3 (KB976703)

Many thanks for your hard work. I can confirm that changing the status
of the errant update from "Detect only" to "Not Approved" also sorts out
the problem. This is in WSUS 2, however.
0
James
4/15/2010 9:12:36 AM
On 15/04/2010 08:31, gocat2005 wrote:
> Hi Susan
>
> The performance report has now been restored in our environment. Thank you.
>
> We now have an unpatched Exchange Server right?
>
> Please advise.
>
> Regards
> Graham

The update that caused the issue was specifically for Exchange Server
2000 - so if you declined the update and you don't have an Exchange
Server 2000 in your environment, then that is all you need to do.

If you DO have an Exchange Server 2000 (unusual I guess in an SBS2003
environment, but still possible), and the update is now declined, then
you need to ensure that the update is installed (go to Microsoft Update
using your Browser and get the update).

That's how I've understood it anyway.
0
James
4/15/2010 9:16:00 AM
gocat2005 wrote:
> Hi Susan
>
> The performance report has now been restored in our environment. Thank you.
>
> We now have an unpatched Exchange Server right?
>
> Please advise.
>
> Regards
> Graham

I'ts "2000" that was declined, not 2003.  You have an Exchange 2000 in
your network?
0
Susan
4/15/2010 4:51:47 PM
Hi Susan

The version of exchange in SBS2003R2Prem is 6.5.7638.1 which I understand is
Exchange 2003 SP2. So I guess the offending update does not relate to this
environment.

However, today in the performance report I got error:

Server Status Report:
 	URL:	http://localhost/monitoring/perf.aspx?reportMode=0

 	Error Message:	The element already exists in the collection.
Parameter name: value
 	Stack Trace:	at
Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.WsusCollection.CheckItemIsValid(Int32
index, Object value)
at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.WsusCollection.OnInsert(Int32
index, Object value)
at System.Collections.CollectionBase.System.Collections.IList.Add(Object
value)
at
Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.UpdateSummaryCollection.Add(IUpdateSummary value)
at
Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateSummary.BuildSummaryCollection(GenericReadableRow[] rows, GroupBy groupBy)
at
Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.ComputerTargetGroup.GetSummaryPerUpdate()
at Microsoft.SBS.UpdateServices.DataProvider.GetPendingUpdateCollection()
at Microsoft.SBS.UpdateServices.DataProvider.GetPendingUpdateCounts()
at Microsoft.SBS.UpdateServices.StatusPage.Utility.GetStatusItems()
at usage.frmPerf.PopulateStatusItems()
at usage.frmPerf.renderReportWorker()

"Susan Bradley" wrote:

> gocat2005 wrote:
> > Hi Susan
> >
> > The performance report has now been restored in our environment. Thank you.
> >
> > We now have an unpatched Exchange Server right?
> >
> > Please advise.
> >
> > Regards
> > Graham
> >

> I'ts "2000" that was declined, not 2003.  You have an Exchange 2000 in
> your network?
> .

The Exchange 2000 update should not be needed in an SBS 2003 environment
unless you have added an additional server to the domain that is running
Exchange 2000.

With that said, our dear friends in Exchange were kind enough to expire
976703 and re-release it with modified metadata so that this issue would
resolve itself after the next WSUS Sync.  If you did or did not decline
976703 before, there is no need to take further action after WSUS has synced
again.  You can wait for the next sync to occur as scheduled or sync
manually if you wish.

--
Chris Puckett

"gocat2005" <gocat2005@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Susan
>
> The version of exchange in SBS2003R2Prem is 6.5.7638.1 which I understand
> is
> Exchange 2003 SP2. So I guess the offending update does not relate to this
> environment.
>
> However, today in the performance report I got error:
>
> Server Status Report:
>
>  Error Message: The element already exists in the collection.
> Parameter name: value
>  Stack Trace: at
> Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.WsusCollection.CheckItemIsValid(Int32
> index, Object value)
> at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.WsusCollection.OnInsert(Int32
> index, Object value)
> at System.Collections.CollectionBase.System.Collections.IList.Add(Object
> value)
> at
> Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.UpdateSummaryCollection.Add(IUpdateSummary
> value)
> at
> Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateSummary.BuildSummaryCollection(GenericReadableRow[]
> rows, GroupBy groupBy)
> at
> Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.ComputerTargetGroup.GetSummaryPerUpdate()
> at Microsoft.SBS.UpdateServices.DataProvider.GetPendingUpdateCollection()
> at Microsoft.SBS.UpdateServices.DataProvider.GetPendingUpdateCounts()
> at Microsoft.SBS.UpdateServices.StatusPage.Utility.GetStatusItems()
> at usage.frmPerf.PopulateStatusItems()
> at usage.frmPerf.renderReportWorker()
> at usage.frmPerf.renderReport()
>

> "Susan Bradley" wrote:
>
>> gocat2005 wrote:
>> > Hi Susan
>> >
>> > The performance report has now been restored in our environment. Thank
>> > you.
>> >
>> > We now have an unpatched Exchange Server right?
>> >
>> > Please advise.
>> >
>> > Regards
>> > Graham
>> >

>> I'ts "2000" that was declined, not 2003.  You have an Exchange 2000 in
>> your network?
>> .

0
Chris
4/16/2010 2:52:19 PM
Many thanks
Regards
Graham

"Chris Puckett [MSFT]" wrote:

> The Exchange 2000 update should not be needed in an SBS 2003 environment
> unless you have added an additional server to the domain that is running
> Exchange 2000.
>
> With that said, our dear friends in Exchange were kind enough to expire
> 976703 and re-release it with modified metadata so that this issue would
> resolve itself after the next WSUS Sync.  If you did or did not decline
> 976703 before, there is no need to take further action after WSUS has synced
> again.  You can wait for the next sync to occur as scheduled or sync
> manually if you wish.
>
> --
> Chris Puckett

> "gocat2005" <gocat2005@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Susan
> >
> > The version of exchange in SBS2003R2Prem is 6.5.7638.1 which I understand
> > is
> > Exchange 2003 SP2. So I guess the offending update does not relate to this
> > environment.
> >
> > However, today in the performance report I got error:
> >
> > Server Status Report:
> >
> >  Error Message: The element already exists in the collection.
> > Parameter name: value
> >  Stack Trace: at
> > Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.WsusCollection.CheckItemIsValid(Int32
> > index, Object value)
> > at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.WsusCollection.OnInsert(Int32
> > index, Object value)
> > at System.Collections.CollectionBase.System.Collections.IList.Add(Object
> > value)
> > at
> > Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.UpdateSummaryCollection.Add(IUpdateSummary
> > value)
> > at
> > Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateSummary.BuildSummaryCollection(GenericReadableRow[]
> > rows, GroupBy groupBy)
> > at
> > Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.ComputerTargetGroup.GetSummaryPerUpdate()
> > at Microsoft.SBS.UpdateServices.DataProvider.GetPendingUpdateCollection()
> > at Microsoft.SBS.UpdateServices.DataProvider.GetPendingUpdateCounts()
> > at Microsoft.SBS.UpdateServices.StatusPage.Utility.GetStatusItems()
> > at usage.frmPerf.PopulateStatusItems()
> > at usage.frmPerf.renderReportWorker()
> > at usage.frmPerf.renderReport()

> >> I'ts "2000" that was declined, not 2003.  You have an Exchange 2000 in
> >> your network?
> >> .
> >>
> .

changing report headings names
I would like to give the user the option of changing the report heading names, I can do this with the Docmd.openreport, stdocname, acviewdesign,,,achidden and then grab the current heading and display that heading and allow the user to change it. I then do a docmd.close acreport, stdocname, acSaveYes, this works just fine when I test but when I compile the program into a mde it doesn't like the it. Is there another way of doing this? Thanks for any help. Tom you can write the current heading names to a table, making sure the table holds only one record. add the table to the quer...

rounding in report
in my report the unitprice field is rounding up. in the form it is 833.33 but in the report it is just 833.00? any suggestions? -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200707/1 ...

Reports access
Hi how to block access to the reports for a group of users I don't believe you can do this. Bear in mind that a user will only see the records in a report that their security role permits them to with read access. Regards PeterC "usankar" wrote: > Hi > > how to block access to the reports for a group of users ...

Calculated Control Refers to Multiple Reports
I have five reports, which for formatting reasons cannot be combined into one. They all open automatically with one command and need to be paginated as if they are one report. The number of pages for each report will differ depending on the data entered for each record. Pagination for each report sums the total number of pages ([Pages]) for the previous reports. The calculated control in the reports looks like this: report name: Report 2 control name: NewPage control source: =[Reports]![Report1]![Pages]+1 report name: Report 3 control name: NewPage control source: =[Reports]![Report1...

SQL server service
Hi All, In the task manager, under the processes, the SQL server service is running at 1.7 gig. The server has been rebooted but after running low for a while has now shot up to 1.7GB again. Has anyone else noticed this? or know how to limit process size ??? Thanks. Regards, Nathan Warner its hard to say you could have a 100 users who rarely use the system of 10 users who are hitting it hard each day. I would try 512mb to start with. ======================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm "Nathan Warner" <NathanWarner@discu...

exchange 2003 + linux ldap server
Hi All, I have two email servers ( MSexchange 2003 /w AD + linux email /w ldap address book ) in one location. Our outlook 2003 email clients connected to exchange 2003. We don't want to setup the LDAP address book in outlook. I am hoping that all the clients can search all address in the linux LDAP through exchange 2003. Can I connect exchange 2003 with linux LDAP address book ? Any ideals ? Outlook client <-> Exchange 2003 AD + Linux LDAP Thanks !!! On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 18:19:42 +0800, "elvis" <abc@abc.com> wrote: >Hi All, > >I have two email se...

Files not opening from Web Server
We have some excel files on our web server that we link to from various webpages. Almost all of our users can get to these files without any problem when they click the link in Internet Explorer, but for a handful of users when they click the link nothing happens or it just opens up a second blank explorer window. There is never any kind of error message or anything. Has anyone seen this before or know the cause or fix for it? It does seem like most people that have this problem are running WinXP, but I'm not sure of each of their Office versions. TIA ============== Joe Reazor Gorbel...

Business Portal and Reporting Services on same server
Hello: There was a white paper published on CustomerSource for integrating BP 3.0 and SQL Reporting Services 2005 onto the same web server. We have both BP 3.0 and SRS 2005 correctly configured and are working just fine. BP is accessible to external customers and also works just fine. However, SRS does not. The white paper states that BP and SRS cannot be in the same web site and one of them needs to be running on a different web site and a different port. So, I set SRS to run on port 81. External users cannot view the SRS website on port 81. The firewall is also correctly configured to...

easiest way to create gridlines in an Access 2003 report
Does anyone know an easy way to create gridlines in an Access 2003 report so that it resembles a spreadsheet, other than manually drawing vertical and horizontal lines? You can use the Line method of the report in its Page event. Use a loop to repeat at whatever grid size you want. Measurements are in twips, where 1440 twips = 1 inch This is how the Line method works: Me.Line (Me.ScaleTop, Me.ScaleLeft)-(Me.ScaleTop, Me.ScaleHeight), vbRed -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rathe...

Layaway report
Does anyone know how I can run a report that would show payments made by the customer on a layaway? Rob, Thanks for the report. Now would you know how I can add the sales rep to the report??? "Rob" wrote: > Attached is a Layaway Payment report. You need to be using a NewsReader like > Outlook Express to be able to see the attachement. > Thank Jeff for posting this report before. > > Rob > > "Jack T" <JackT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message > news:956D4184-B89D-4A1F-B461-0A890A08FC7C@microsoft.com... > > Does anyone kno...

performance and reliablity
Hi I am finding MS CRM 1.2 very slow and un-reliable. I am using the sales web client. Sometimes when modifying tasks and calls - the save button does not seem work so I lose the changes made. Emails sometimes don't send. Has anybody solved issues like the above or is anybody else experiencing issues. This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0396_01C425F4.94FE2CB0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I've seen this happen when you don't meet the "recommended = requirements&quo...

Report Builder 1.0 Filter Prompts
I have created an ad-hoc report and want to add a filter. I understand that the Report Builder will only pre-populate the 'in this list' for that filter if the list contains less than a pre-determined number of entries. Fair enough. However, where can I find out what this magical number is...it would certainly be handy if I could be allowed to set the pre-determine number myself, or at least view it. I found an article that said that value is in the DataSource (or the DataSourceView) but I have found nothing that tells me what the tag, or the location of that special ...

Reports for Tasks
I have created a report that I would like to be able to run from the list view of Tasks. The report works fine. The report shows up when I open a Task. However, when I am looking at the list view of tasks, the report button is not visible. Does anyone know how I get this to appear? Do I have to edit the sitemap to add the button? TIA Saira I have the answer to my question. The grid bar does not change when swapping from Activities to Task, therefore I need to add Activities as the related object (when I upload the report). "Saira" <Saira@BayonetVentures.com> wrote i...

CRM REPORTS 01-18-07
Hi everyone. I've created reports using Reporting Services. I then imported these reports into CRM as part of a CRM development for a client. The client accesses our CRM website through the internet, using an ip address. They are then prompted for their credentials, which they then enter. They can successfully enter CRM, but cannot access our custom reports, however, they can access the standard CRM reports. I've successfully accessed CRM and the reports via the internet, using their credentials. Basically, I can access everything from my side, but they can only access CRM and ...

Server maintenance
Greetings: I've recently installed an Exchange 2k3 Server and was wondering what kind of maintanence needed to be performed and at what intervals to keep the server in tip - top shape. We have less than 20 users and some even hook up through POP3. Let me know if I can provide additional information. -- Regards, Jerry M. Gartner There really shouldn't need to be any periodic maintenance. There are your standard monitoring tasks that need to take place (check event logs, etc.), but Exchange performs online maintenance on a nightly basis by default. This optimizes th...

Emailing report sections
Access 2007 I have a report that I sorted bye sales groups, In each sales group are the details. I need to email to each group their part of the report. I would even be ok with coping and pasting the groups. So far I have run into a blank wall.. Thanks in advance Bob Biss wrote: > Access 2007 > > I have a report that I sorted bye sales groups, In each sales group are > the details. > > I need to email to each group their part of the report. I would even be > ok with coping and pasting the groups. > > So far I have run into ...

OWA for Exchange Server 5.5
Hello, Could someone please point me to a good documentation for Installing and Configuring OWA on Exchange Server 5.5 or if you have any procedures that you could send me that would be great also. Thanks in advance for your help! William http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;125329 "William Tyler" <wstyler@comcast.net> wrote in message news:2lh4o5Fcne5gU1@uni-berlin.de... > Hello, > > Could someone please point me to a good documentation for Installing and > Configuring OWA on Exchange Server 5.5 or if you have any procedures that > you c...

Wrong Database During High Web Server Load
Hi all, Our issue is a little complex. Our system is an update from a legacy system that had our clients host their own databases and software. We are now completely ASP.net based, but have each of our clients data in their own SQL Server 2005 databases. Currently we have about 150 clients migrated and therefore 150 DB's. Each of our clients has a client id and all of users are related to a client. So, when a user logs in, we know which client they belong to. That client ID is then used to to point to the correct database for all future requests. A table in an ...

Record Notes Report
Is there a Record Notes report? We'd like to print out all the notes attached to customer records. You could do this by creating a custom report in Report Writer or using a SQL query. Join the SY03900(Record Notes master) to the RM00101(Customer Master) on the NOTEINDX field. Alternatively, you could pull this into a Crystal Report. If you use Report Writer you may have to first create the relationship between the tables. VGrinam "Elaine" wrote: > Is there a Record Notes report? We'd like to print out all the notes > attached to customer records. ...

Change what populates subject line when send pdf report in email
When I choose to send my POP Purchase Order Blank Form to a mail recipient (pdf), information is populating the subject line and body of my e-mail by default. Specifically the name of the report is populating the subject line. Is there a way to change this? I would rather see the PO number populating that field. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggest...

HOW DO CANCEL/DELETE message from Newsgroup server??
Once email is sent, it cannot be deleted before reachign recipient's address (unless you own server at recipients' end which is extremely highly unlikely) So just as with spoken word, be careful and dont' allow emotional rushes to result in spontaneous email you may regret later. But my question is about Usenet/Newsgroups (NNTP protocol): Is there a way to cancel/delete you rown posted message, at leas tbefore any followups appear (or even after)? As you all know, most of us hate Web Forums and we remain loyal to Usenet. But I have to admit, there's ONE fea...

Can a front-end server be a bridgehead at the same time?
Is such a configuration even recommended? (Personally, I don't see why not.) Thanks. On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:34:23 GMT, "jdee" <jdee@trunk.net> wrote: >Is such a configuration even recommended? > >(Personally, I don't see why not.) > >Thanks. > it's fine, it's supported, it's recommended. Yar. Do it all the time. Just remember you need to leave that first storage group & mailstore up and running. -- Thanks, Brian Desmond Windows Server MVP www.briandesmond.com "jdee" <jdee@trunk.net> wrote in message news:zK...

money 2002 only reports one discrentary account.
I want to have a cash flow report that I can rely on. Money 2002 reports my dining as trended , which is fine because its defined as discretionary. However there are other discretionay catagories that are on my credit card and checking account that are ignored ! Why is this. Are there any updates for Microsoft 2002 OEM version 10. Is there any q & a I can refer to? You have not provided enough information to understand your question. I use Money 2002 and its reports are excellent. Don't know what cash flow report you are talking about. The Cash Flow Review in Accounts...

Small Business Server 07-10-03
I want to set up a new network for only about 10-15 users by implementing Small Business Server. I am just wandering from an IT perspective...How difficult will it be? Seems like an odd question for the CRM NG. I answered your question in the SBS NG. Brandon >-----Original Message----- >I want to set up a new network for only about 10-15 users >by implementing Small Business Server. I am just >wandering from an IT perspective...How difficult will it >be? >. > Its pretty straightforward. The install for SBS is pretty easy to follow. "Jon" <jonk...

Customize Outlook Today Broken
On Microsoft Outlook 2000, I click on Outlook Today in the folder list = then=20 in the right pane I click on Customize Outlook Today and nothing = happens. =20 I've reinstalled and still nothing. Any help would be apprieciated. The following MSKB article provides the fix for this issue. OL2000: You Cannot Customize Outlook Today After You Install Critical Update 813489 for Internet Explorer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;820575 -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgrou...