SBS2008 Premium - SQL Server licensing / server location

Many apologies, I've probably asked this before, but I don't recall getting
a full answer.

We've a customer who has purchased SBS2008 Premium.

We've used the second server copy to install as a DC at another branch site.

We want to use the SQL Server that comes as part of the Premium package to
install onto an existing seperate server at the main site which was not part
of the SBS2008 Premium package.

Are we allowed to do this ?  or will it allow us to do this even ?

Will the SBS 2008 client CAL's cover this ? They are covering this as part
of the SBS2008 Premium package and all the users are SBS2008 clients and all
other servers are licenced anyway so I would have thought it would.

Jim.

0
Jim

Yes, as long as it meets the requirements outlined in the post below.

http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2009/03/23/requirements-for-installing-sql-2008-standard-edition-for-small-business.aspx

--
Chris Puckett

"Jim" <jim@dontwantspam.com> wrote in message
> Many apologies, I've probably asked this before, but I don't recall
> getting a full answer.
>
> We've a customer who has purchased SBS2008 Premium.
>
> We've used the second server copy to install as a DC at another branch
> site.
>
> We want to use the SQL Server that comes as part of the Premium package to
> install onto an existing seperate server at the main site which was not
> part of the SBS2008 Premium package.
>
> Are we allowed to do this ?  or will it allow us to do this even ?
>
> Will the SBS 2008 client CAL's cover this ? They are covering this as part
> of the SBS2008 Premium package and all the users are SBS2008 clients and
> all other servers are licenced anyway so I would have thought it would.
>
> Jim.

0
Chris
12/18/2009 9:06:00 PM
Thanks Chris, section

Though the last part:

a.. The customer may not run instances of the server software, separately
licensed or otherwise, at the same time in another operating system
environment within the same domain.

.....what does this mean ?

I've called Microsoft Licensing again and spoke to a representitive and to
start with he said that it can only be installed onto the server packages
that come as part or the SBS2008 Premium suite....though when pressed
further and I explained that we had other member servers joined to the same
SBS2008 domain as well as the additional server included with the Premium
package he seemed not so sure.

He said he'd check for certain and get back to me via telephone or
e-mail...I'm still awaiting his reply...this is what happened last time I
enquired !

Looking at the blog it would appear to indicate that it may not actually
install if a prerequsite criteria were not met..so perhaps I'll just test it
and see.

The third server we wish to install this on *is* a member server joined to
the only single SBS2008 Premium domain at the main site and all the clients
*are* SBS2008 clients.

It's just that we had a requirement to install the second server copy that
forms part of the Premium package at the branch site as a DC and we already
have the third server which is a member server and is the company database
server at the main site albeit the database type is currently another
application and we wish to change to Microsoft SQL Server instead on this
third server.

Jim.

"Chris Puckett [MSFT]" <chris.puckett@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yes, as long as it meets the requirements outlined in the post below.
>
> http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2009/03/23/requirements-for-installing-sql-2008-standard-edition-for-small-business.aspx
>
> --
> Chris Puckett

> rights.
>

> "Jim" <jim@dontwantspam.com> wrote in message
>> Many apologies, I've probably asked this before, but I don't recall
>> getting a full answer.
>>
>> We've a customer who has purchased SBS2008 Premium.
>>
>> We've used the second server copy to install as a DC at another branch
>> site.
>>
>> We want to use the SQL Server that comes as part of the Premium package
>> to install onto an existing seperate server at the main site which was
>> not part of the SBS2008 Premium package.
>>
>> Are we allowed to do this ?  or will it allow us to do this even ?
>>
>> Will the SBS 2008 client CAL's cover this ? They are covering this as
>> part of the SBS2008 Premium package and all the users are SBS2008 clients
>> and all other servers are licenced anyway so I would have thought it
>> would.
>>
>> Jim.

0
Jim

SQLXML 3.0 virtual directory and upgrade to SQL Server 2008
Hi, Would a SQLXML 3.0 virtual directory continue to work with SQL Server 2008? We would be upgrading from SQL Server 2000. I imagine someone might mention SQLXML 4.0 at this point. Were there any breaking changes between the 2 versions or any features dropped? Do either (or both) versions work with 2008? Cheers, James ...

Deleting an old server from Exchange System Manager
I had one Exchange server 2003 Enterprise Edtion on my Windows server 2003 domain. I added a second Exchange server 2003 Enterprise Edtion and made it the master. I have replicated all the necessary folder and move all the mail boxes. The old server is now off the network work with hardware problem. We are just going to decommision the hardwar since we can't recover the server. However, I tried to remove the old Exchange server from the Exchange system manager, it is saying I can't delete it because one or more mailboxes still exist on the old server and they must be moved befor...

POP3/IMAP servers via a proxy
I am using Yahoo Biz Mail for my email needs. I work at a client site where access to internet is enabled via a proxy. I am having trouble configuring Outlook to access the Yahoo servers because of the proxy. Outlook does not seem to have an option that allow to say go through a certain proxy. I read somewhere that Outlook uses the proxy config set in COntrol Panel->Internet Options. I tried that, but it does not work. My Internet access etc are working fine. I am also able to ftp to sites via the proxy. Only Outlook is troubling me. thanks for any help.. ...

how to remove Exchange 5.5 server that is defunct
I have serached the KB for articles that will explain how i go about removing the last/first 5.5 exchange server from our 2003 environment when the server is defunct. The tools all seem to need the 5.5 exchange system manager to be run but the 5.5 server went pop some time ago. Does anyone know how I do this? thanks all, jON see the follpwing articale http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822450 -- "Jon Rowlan" wrote: > I have serached the KB for articles that will explain how i go about > removing the last/first 5.5 exchange server from our ...

Exchange 2003 License Issues
Currently, we're experiencing problems with users unable to access their email. They're able to logon to the domain. The password dialog box appears when they attempt to open outlook. Even after they enter the domain and username they're still unable to logon to the exchange server. Users are also unable to have Outlook remember their password even after checking the box to remember. One of the guys on the team looked over the licensing set up currently on our unclassified 2003 Exchange server. It shows a big yellow exclamation point on the server. This is the set-up...

Can I Use two servers for instalation CRM?
Microsoft recomended one, three and four servers for a instalation of CRM. I need to know if I can use two servers for the installation of CRM and that I must install in each one of them. Thanks Yes, you can use two servers. The first should have CRM on it, the second should have Active Directory/Exchange. "Yexy" wrote: > Microsoft recomended one, three and four servers for a instalation of CRM. > I need to know if I can use two servers for the installation of CRM and > that I must install in each one of them. > > Thanks Shelly is correct, but your CRM serve...

VISIO 2007 Calendar
PLEASE HELP - This is driving me crazy!!! I am trying to get data from a SQL Table into a VISIO 2007 calendar. The data is being pulled from a view: alter VIEW [dbo].[LQ_CLIENT_FILE_DELIVERY_CALENDAR] as SELECT CONVERT(varchar(10), DATEADD(dd, DJS.I_EXPECTED_FREQUENCY, DJS.D_LOAD_FINISHED), 101) AS [Date to Display], CONVERT(varchar(10), DATEADD(dd, DJS.I_EXPECTED_FREQUENCY, DJS.D_LOAD_FINISHED), 101) AS [Start date], CONVERT(varchar(10), DATEADD(dd, DJS.I_EXPECTED_FREQUENCY, DJS.D_LOAD_FINISHED), 101) AS [End date], LEFT(DJS.VC_NOTE, 50) AS [Subject] FROM dbo.TBL_LOOKUP_...

Exchange 2000 Server infected with viruses
I have an Exchange 2000 Server with Norton Symantec Corporate edition version 8.0 and my server has become infected with Viruses. I have run Nortons tools several times and the server still reports viruses. I am afraid that if I do not clear up the viruses my ability to send outside my organization will be compromised because of Spam filters. Can anyone lend a helping thought on how to clean the server without affecting the Exchange store. Hi, Stop the SMTP service on the server, perform a full backup of the information store(s) and then try to use some of the online AV programs such ...

Hiding internal Exchange server IP/name
We have an internal Exchange server (2003) that resides on an internal IP address. The server communicates to a FreeBSD server in the DMZ running Sendmail. To send emails to the Internet we have configured a routing group to relay mail to the server in the DMZ (there is another option of using a Smarthost, but I have not tried this). The configuration works for sending and receiving emails. One side effect is that when Exchange relays mail to the DMZ its internal IP address is included in the mail header (as part of rfc822). For security reasons it would be preferred to not expose this...

Small Business Server 2003 SP1 and Business Portal 4 Installation
Is there a seperate white paper or install manual available for installing Business Portal 4 in a Small Business Server 2003 SP1 enviornment with an additional W2K3 server used for hosting Dynamics Gp 10? ...

SBS 2008 Premium
HI, I have an SBS 2008 Premium server. The system disk has begun to fail its SMART tests, and a chkdsk found bad blocks. I'm going to be returning the drive as its under warranty, with an advance replacement (hopefully). I'm wondering what would be the best way to proceed. The system is running for now, and backups have been running twice daily. Almost all of the data, including Exchange, Sharepoint, and the users RedirectedFolders are stored on a RAID 5 array, and none of the disks in the array are having problems. The system disk is a single disk by itself. Sho...

ODBC SQL Server Driver
Was attempting to do a historical aged trial balance I get the error message "[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]General network error. Check your network documentation." I have checked the server and it has all of the latest patches including the newest MDAC. Any help anyone can provide with this error would be greatly appreciated. Pardon me if this sounds trite but it burned me at a site once......Did you check the service packs of MS-SQL on the server?? Richard L. Whaley Author/Consultant www.AccoladePublications.com "sgreer" wrote: > Was attemp...

Using SQL server as a backend
Hi, I'm currently experiencing problems with concurrent users on access and have decided to use SQL server as the backend and then Access as the front end. Can anyone reccomend any sites where I can gather some info on how to get started with doing this as I have no experience with SQL server. Thanks, Chris http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Access-Developers-Guide-Server/dp/0672319446/ref=sr_1_2/002-5612467-4522455?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1186419320&sr=8-2 -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "Dale Fye" <dale....

Help with SQL Statement for pivot table
I'm trying to put a sql statment from an access query into a pivot table query builder. I built the query in access then took the sql view and tried to put it into the excel query builder -- not working. Access put dbo_ in front of all of the table names so I took that out but it's got other problems too. Not sure how the date range should be specified and I wanted it to search a text field for the word "implant". In access I did this by specifying *implant* but sql doesn't seem to like it. Here's the statement: SELECT ApptPending.CreateDate, ApptPending....

GP 10.0 Customization under Windows Server 2008 64 bit
We have installed Dynamics GP 10.0 on a Windows Server 2008 64 bit. Every thing is working fine exept for the customization on the forms using VBA, and using DexToNET 2.20; the customization appears not to be working at all, as if they were not exist. we are using Visual Studio.NET 2005 and SQL Server 2005. Note: if these customization were applied on any other operating system, they will work perfect. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance. The DEXVBA.DLL cannot really be loaded on a 64-bit OS, but you may want to check the following article from Microsoft Help...

macro not working in Access 2007 in trusted location
I have an application created in Access 2002. Initially it would notrun when opened in Access 2007 due to the SetWarnings macro usedduring startup. This has been solved by enabling macros and assigningthe folder in which the databases (FE and BE) are stored as a "TrustedLocation". However, the application still fails with the followingerror:Run-time error '2501': The RunMacro action was canceled.Upon clicking "Debug", the code stops on the following statement:DoCmd.RunMacro "CheckTables"The CheckTables macro calls a function that checks the table link...

Unable to bind to the destination server in DNS
Hi, I am getting a mtpsvc mail delivery error 4000 "Unable to bind to the destination server in DNS." found confusing/conflicting results at MS. the oddest thing is that the web-email that is not working is our internal admin web site, which cannot seem to send to each other, or to myself. i can send to outside with no problems. this server is not a domain controller, merely a member server. we are running active directory. I am running in Exchange 5.5 in a Windows 2003 server environment. Of course, Exchange 5.5 is running on Windows 2000 server. Any help would be greatl...

Using a different SMTP server for outbound mail
We're a small business who've just installed Exchange as part of SBS Server. Having a bit of bother at the moment sending outbound mail. Until we get the time to address this, is it possible to setup Exchange so it'll relay any outbound mail through our old Linux SMTP server? (Which is currently just sat on the LAN doing nothing!) Yes. If you don't already have a SMTP Connector for address space *, create one. Insert the Linux SMTP host's fqdn or IP address as a smarthost on the Connector. *When using IP addresses, these need to be enclosed in square brackets, e.g. ...

Locate Link Browser? #2
When clicking on a link contained in an e-mail in Outlook 2003 (installed on XP pro) a window titled "Locate Link Browser" opens then IE opens. The annoyance is that when IE is closed the LLB window needs to be canceled or Outlook is unusable. If I change my default browser to Maxthon (uses the IE engine) the problem goes away. What have I tried: 1) Reset web settings. 2)to control panel, folder options, file types tab > >Scroll down to the URL:Hypertext Transfer Protocols, click advanced, click >edit >and make sure the following is in the application used to pe...

Problems with exchange 2003 server viewing public folder perimisions and MFBPublish
X-No-Archive: yes Since we have migrated from Exchange Server 5.5 to 2003, we are getting MFBPublish errors in the event log every 25 minutes. (Error initialising session for virtual machine mailserver. The error number is 0x80040111. Make sure Microsoft Exchange Store is running - eventid 8197). The Microsoft Exchange Store is running. Advice from Technet has made no change. We also get a MAPI 1.0 error (The Information store could not be opened. The logon to the Microsoft Exchange server computer failed) when trying to view client permissions on public folders locally on our mail se...

Installation of Process Server
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_002C_01C98ACE.F25A25A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I need to learn the Process Server Installation; if there is any. I can = see the dps.exe installed but when I am trying to configure the Process = Servers, it does let me do anything. I see configuration documentation but can't find anything about how to = install DPS Any help would be appreciated highly ------=_NextPart_000_002C_01C98ACE.F25A25A0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1...

SMTP Server changed
Hello Friends, Our user are using Outlook 2003 to send mail out through echange server 2003. Now our email provided change SMTP from SMTP Server: mail.exampledomain.com To: SMTP Server: smtp.exampledomain.com Right now i am using Microsoft exchange server account in outlook express to send and receive mail . I am not using POP/SMTP account in Outlook Express. Can any one tell me what settings i have to change in exchange to send mail using new smtp server. Regards G. On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 13:51:05 -0800, Gureey <Gureey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello Friends, >...

A97 to SQL?
Hello All I have a split, FE/BE A97 mdb, that I have been 'developing' for about 8 years now: and it works great!! As it has grown, more people are using it: typically 4 or 5 people are now using it at a time (from seperate workstations, each with seperate frontends). Next year this is likely to grow to 6, 7 or 8 concurrent users. Four of the BE tables now have ~500,000 records. I am starting to wonder whether the time has come to move to something bigger, like SQL server. Apart from the cost/time involved in the converstion, I am also concerned about losing the ability to 'd...

CRM 3.0 integration with Project Server?
Does anyone know if CRM 3.0 will integrate with MS Project Server? It seems to me that this would make sense for the service side of CRM. The global enterprise resources are already there with skillsets. Also for a project oriented company technicians that might be working on projects (Project Server) could also be assigned service calls (CRM 3.0), but the technicians schedule would be kept in two seperate locations without integration. Any help would be appreciated. Best Regards, Kevin Out of the box, the answer is NO. They had other fires to kill to get 3.0 out the door. We can alwa...

Help with SQL and Excel.....
Hello friends, I am trying to send data from a store procedure to excel now and I could send the data to be formatted the same (color and bold) but then I run sp operating system displays an error in Excel.exe and do not understand why ... : o (someone has an idea that could be happening? Besides, I need to send the data and to create groups in excel, anyone have any idea how to do that? I was reviewing OLE but even I did not figure the solution to my problem .... heeeeeeeeeeeeellllp me :"( The code I use is: --EXEC ABC123_2 'C:\SUCCESS.xls' --///////////...