SBS2008 - IMAP access to mailbox in Exchange 2007

Have a customer who has a telephone system that uses an IMAP connectionj to
the users Inbox to pick up voicemails.

Since upgrading from Exchange 2003 (SBS2003) to Exchange 2007 (SBS2008) this
has stopped working.

Users userrnames and passwords are still the same.

I've setup Outlook to make an IMAP connection to their mailbox but this
doesn't appear to work, I guess this is why their telephone can't logon
either.

I just get a box come up prompting for a username and password ??

Is their more to it in Exchange 2007 than just doing the regular Outlook
IMAP setup like we did in Exchange 2003 ?

Jim.

0
Jim

"Jim" <jim@dontwantspam.com> wrote in message
> Have a customer who has a telephone system that uses an IMAP connectionj
> to the users Inbox to pick up voicemails.
>
> Since upgrading from Exchange 2003 (SBS2003) to Exchange 2007 (SBS2008)
> this has stopped working.
>
> Users userrnames and passwords are still the same.
>
> I've setup Outlook to make an IMAP connection to their mailbox but this
> doesn't appear to work, I guess this is why their telephone can't logon
> either.
>
> I just get a box come up prompting for a username and password ??
>
> Is their more to it in Exchange 2007 than just doing the regular Outlook
> IMAP setup like we did in Exchange 2003 ?
>
> Jim.

Is the IMAP service started and configured in the EMC?

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among
responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA
2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
Microsoft Certified Trainer

If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please
contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check http://support.microsoft.com
for regional support phone numbers.

0
Ace
1/4/2010 4:22:37 PM
Hi Ace,

Yes it is, but it was configured for a Secure connection, I have changed
this to Basic Authentication and now it works OK.

I don't think that the customers telephone system can handle SSL IMAP so I
think it might have to be set to Basic Authentication.

Jim.

"Ace Fekay [MCT]" <aceman@mvps.RemoveThisPart.org> wrote in message

> "Jim" <jim@dontwantspam.com> wrote in message
>> Have a customer who has a telephone system that uses an IMAP connectionj
>> to the users Inbox to pick up voicemails.
>>
>> Since upgrading from Exchange 2003 (SBS2003) to Exchange 2007 (SBS2008)
>> this has stopped working.
>>
>> Users userrnames and passwords are still the same.
>>
>> I've setup Outlook to make an IMAP connection to their mailbox but this
>> doesn't appear to work, I guess this is why their telephone can't logon
>> either.
>>
>> I just get a box come up prompting for a username and password ??
>>
>> Is their more to it in Exchange 2007 than just doing the regular Outlook
>> IMAP setup like we did in Exchange 2003 ?
>>
>> Jim.
>>

> Is the IMAP service started and configured in the EMC?
>
> --
> Ace
>
> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and
> confers no rights.
>
> Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit
> among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your
> resolution.
>
> Ace Fekay, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA
> 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
> Microsoft Certified Trainer
>
> If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance,
> please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check
> http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

0
Jim
1/4/2010 4:55:19 PM
> Hi Ace,
>
> Yes it is, but it was configured for a Secure connection, I have changed
> this to Basic Authentication and now it works OK.
>
> I don't think that the customers telephone system can handle SSL IMAP so I
> think it might have to be set to Basic Authentication.
>
> Jim.

That would have been the next thing I would have suggested. Glad to hear you
figured it out!

Cheers!

Ace

0
Ace
1/4/2010 6:43:13 PM
OK...I can pull the messages down using IMAP...

But if I try and reply to one I get: System Administrator -
 Undeliverable.. - 550.5.7.1 Unable to relay

> "Jim" <jim@dontwantspam.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Ace,
>>
>> Yes it is, but it was configured for a Secure connection, I have changed
>> this to Basic Authentication and now it works OK.
>>
>> I don't think that the customers telephone system can handle SSL IMAP so
>> I think it might have to be set to Basic Authentication.
>>
>> Jim.
>>

> That would have been the next thing I would have suggested. Glad to hear
> you figured it out!
>
> Cheers!
>
> Ace

0
Jim
1/6/2010 3:38:58 PM
> OK...I can pull the messages down using IMAP...
>
> But if I try and reply to one I get: System Administrator -
> Undeliverable.. - 550.5.7.1 Unable to relay
>
> Jim.

Configure Outlook IMAP accuont or whatever client IMAP is using, to provide
credentials for the SMTP server. It's not relaying because it's not
providing the user's credentials to relay.

Ace

0
Ace
1/6/2010 4:19:09 PM
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your post and Ace's good suggestions.

I am with Ace that the " Unable to relay" issue is possibly caused by the incorrect IMAP authentication for the SMTP server. The following examples demonstrate how Exchange Server accepts and
relays mail by using authenticated relaying:

"	An anonymous user connects to the SMTP virtual server and attempts to deliver mail to an internal user in the Exchange organization.
In this situation, the SMTP virtual server accepts the message because it is destined for an internal domain and because the user exists in Active Directory.
"	An anonymous user connects to the SMTP virtual server and attempts to deliver mail to an external user in an external domain.
In this situation, the SMTP virtual server rejects the mail because it is destined for an external domain for which the Exchange server is not responsible. Because the user is not authenticated, the
SMTP virtual server does not relay this mail outside of the Exchange organization.
"	A user connects to the SMTP virtual server using a Post Office Protocol (POP) or Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) client (for example, Microsoft Outlook? Express), authenticates,
and then attempts to send a message to a user in an external domain.
In this situation, the e-mail client connects directly to the SMTP virtual server and authenticates the user. Although the message is destined for a remote domain, the SMTP virtual server accepts and
relays this mail because the user is authenticated

To resolve this issue, configure Outlook Express to send authentication credentials:
1.	On the Tools menu, click Accounts.
2.	Click the current user account.
3.	Click Properties.
4.	Click the Servers tab.
5.	Under Outgoing Mail Server, click to select the My server requires authentication check box.
6.	Click Settings.
7.	In the Logon Information dialog box, select one of the three following options:
o	Use same setting as my Incoming Mail server. The authentication credentials in the Incoming Mail Server option.
o	Log on using. Type the user account and password of the current user.
o	Log on using Secure Password Authentication. An authentication credential is displayed every time a message is sent.
8.	Click OK until the Internet dialog box appears, and then click Close.

In addition, here are some articles you may refer to configure your SMTP server authentication so that it can relay for IMAP client.

Prevent anonymous access on internal SMTP virtual servers and dedicated SMTP virtual servers for IMAP and POP clients.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123843(EXCHG.65).aspx

Setting Relay Restrictions
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996446(EXCHG.65).aspx

550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrtransport/thread/1a84a06a-f1c8-40b4-ace8-1e264f218aa1

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Robbin Meng(MSFT)
Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support

Please post your SBS 2008 related questions to the SBS newsgroup on Connect website:
https://connect.microsoft.com/sbs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx

Please post your EBS related questions to the EBS newsgroup on Connect website:
https://connect.microsoft.com/ebs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx

If you want to use a newsreader other than a web forum to access these newsgroups,
please refer to the following blog to apply NNTP password and configure a newsreader:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2008/11/02/signing-up-for-the-sbs-2008-newsgroups.aspx

Hi Guys,

Already tried lots of this already....though I'll go through it all again in
case I've missed something..

Main purpose for thisis that the customer has an IP PBX telephone system
that the voicemail uses IMAP to get voicemail messages from Exchange.

Worked perfectly with Exchange 2003.

Customer has upgraded to Exchange 2007...now we're having all sorts of
problems.

So I thought let's start off with seeing whether I can use IMAP from a
simple Outlook client...and I couldn't. So I though until we get this
working then the telephone PBX most likely ain't going to work.

Now we have changed the authentication to basic for IMAP on Exchange 2007 I
can logon from Outlook client and see messages but not send any replies.

Just get the unable to relay message. Have tried all the SMTP authentication
stuff on the Outlook client but sill won't work.

The telephone PBX can now logon also.. as opposed to saying that it cannot,
..but it now says that there are no new voicemails...when there actually
are..

We think that the Outlook clients inability to send via IMAP might be
related to this.

I'll go over it again.

Jim.

""Robbin Meng [MSFT]"" <v-robmen@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> [...]
>
> 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for
> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrtransport/thread/1a84a06a-f1c8-40b4-ace8-1e264f218aa1
>
> Hope this helps.
>

> Best regards,
> Robbin Meng(MSFT)
> Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support

> Please post your SBS 2008 related questions to the SBS newsgroup on
> Connect website:
> https://connect.microsoft.com/sbs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx
>
> Please post your EBS related questions to the EBS newsgroup on Connect
> website:
> https://connect.microsoft.com/ebs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx
>
> If you want to use a newsreader other than a web forum to access these
> newsgroups,
> please refer to the following blog to apply NNTP password and configure a

Jim
1/7/2010 10:15:16 AM
Hmmm..

I find that I *can* reply to IMAP mesages on my test SBS2008 server...work
on mine no problem.

Though I am using Outlook 2007 on my test PC on my test rig as opposed to
Outlook 2003 at the customer site..would this be relevant ?

I've compared the settings on my server to the customers server and the only
difference that I could see was that in the EMC in Server Configuration /
Client Access / POP3 and IMAP4 / Authentication tab the customers has
'Sites' as the X.509 certificate name.

...mine had the fqdn of my test server.. etc: SERVER.domain.local

I changed this to the fqdn of the customers server and restarted IMAP4
service...didn't seem to make any difference is this relevant.

Apart from that everything else look identical...can't see where the
difference is.. ??

I've not restarted Information Store on customer server as not ideal time to
do this, could try that later..

> [...]
>> Please post your SBS 2008 related questions to the SBS newsgroup on
>> Connect website:
>> https://connect.microsoft.com/sbs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx
>>
>> Please post your EBS related questions to the EBS newsgroup on Connect
>> website:
>> https://connect.microsoft.com/ebs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx
>>
>> If you want to use a newsreader other than a web forum to access these
>> newsgroups,
>> please refer to the following blog to apply NNTP password and configure a
>> newsreader:
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2008/11/02/signing-up-for-the-sbs-2008-newsgroups.aspx
>> ==================================================================
>> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
>> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

0
Jim
1/7/2010 11:24:14 AM
....found another difference as well..

The customers 'Accepted Domains' had domain.co.uk as the Default (True)

My test rig has domain.local as the Default (True) , as does several other
SBS2008 servers which I have checked.

I've changed theirs to domain.local as the Default (True) now...still didn't
make any difference but have not yet restarted any Exchange services.

Their server was an SBS2003 to SBS2008 SwingIT Migration..

> [...]
>>> Please post your SBS 2008 related questions to the SBS newsgroup on
>>> Connect website:
>>> https://connect.microsoft.com/sbs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx
>>>
>>> Please post your EBS related questions to the EBS newsgroup on Connect
>>> website:
>>> https://connect.microsoft.com/ebs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx
>>>
>>> If you want to use a newsreader other than a web forum to access these
>>> newsgroups,
>>> please refer to the following blog to apply NNTP password and configure
>>> a newsreader:
>>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2008/11/02/signing-up-for-the-sbs-2008-newsgroups.aspx
>>> ==================================================================
>>> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
>>> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

0
Jim
1/7/2010 12:07:18 PM
It does work internally though.

If I send a message from a user to the user who is configured for IMAP then
I can reply to their messages OK.

Only doesn't work if it is from an external domain..which bit in EMC ought I
to be looking at  ?

Or is there a cmdlet that I could run ?

> [...]
>>>
>>> Customer has upgraded to Exchange 2007...now we're having all sorts of
>>> problems.
>>>
>>> So I thought let's start off with seeing whether I can use IMAP from a
>>> simple Outlook client...and I couldn't. So I though until we get this
>>> working then the telephone PBX most likely ain't going to work.
>>>
>>> Now we have changed the authentication to basic for IMAP on Exchange
>>> 2007 I can logon from Outlook client and see messages but not send any
>>> replies.
>>>
>>> Just get the unable to relay message. Have tried all the SMTP
>>> authentication stuff on the Outlook client but sill won't work.
>>>
>>> The telephone PBX can now logon also.. as opposed to saying that it
>>> cannot, .but it now says that there are no new voicemails...when there
>>> actually are..
>>>
>>> We think that the Outlook clients inability to send via IMAP might be

0
Jim
1/7/2010 12:49:55 PM
>>which bit in EMC ought I to be looking at  ?

...bearing in mind this is Exchange 2007 not Exchange 2003...it worked fine

> It does work internally though.
>
> If I send a message from a user to the user who is configured for IMAP
> then I can reply to their messages OK.
>
> Only doesn't work if it is from an external domain..which bit in EMC ought
> I to be looking at  ?
>
> Or is there a cmdlet that I could run ?
>
> Jim.
>

> "Jim" <jim@dontwantspam.com> wrote in message
>> ...found another difference as well..
>>
>> The customers 'Accepted Domains' had domain.co.uk as the Default (True)
>>
>> My test rig has domain.local as the Default (True) , as does several
>> other SBS2008 servers which I have checked.
>>
>> I've changed theirs to domain.local as the Default (True) now...still
>> didn't make any difference but have not yet restarted any Exchange
>> services.
>>
>> Their server was an SBS2003 to SBS2008 SwingIT Migration..
>>
>> Jim.
>>

>> "Jim" <jim@dontwantspam.com> wrote in message
>>> Hmmm..
>>>
>>> I find that I *can* reply to IMAP mesages on my test SBS2008
>>> server...work on mine no problem.
>>>
>>> Though I am using Outlook 2007 on my test PC on my test rig as opposed
>>> to Outlook 2003 at the customer site..would this be relevant ?
>>>
>>> I've compared the settings on my server to the customers server and the
>>> only difference that I could see was that in the EMC in Server
>>> Configuration / Client Access / POP3 and IMAP4 / Authentication tab the
>>> customers has 'Sites' as the X.509 certificate name.
>>>
>>> ..mine had the fqdn of my test server.. etc: SERVER.domain.local
>>>
>>> I changed this to the fqdn of the customers server and restarted IMAP4
>>> service...didn't seem to make any difference is this relevant.
>>>
>>> Apart from that everything else look identical...can't see where the
>>> difference is.. ??
>>>
>>> I've not restarted Information Store on customer server as not ideal
>>> time to do this, could try that later..
>>>
>>> Jim.
>>>

>>> "Jim" <jim@dontwantspam.com> wrote in message

0
Jim
1/7/2010 12:55:06 PM
"Jim" <jim@dontwantspam.com> wrote in message
> It does work internally though.
>
> If I send a message from a user to the user who is configured for IMAP
> then I can reply to their messages OK.
>
> Only doesn't work if it is from an external domain..which bit in EMC ought
> I to be looking at  ?
>
> Or is there a cmdlet that I could run ?
>
> Jim.

It works internally because it is using the currently logged on user account
for credentials. If you look at the IMAP settings in the EMC,
Authentication, can you describe your current permisisons list, please?

Ace

0
Ace
1/7/2010 1:44:42 PM
>If you look at the IMAP settings in the EMC, Authentication, can you
>describe your current permisisons list, please?

Which area are you referring to specifically ?

The Authentication tab is set to 'Plain text logon (Basic authentication )
no TLS'

Not sure what you mean regards permissions list ?

I've been all the way through all the settings on both the server that
doesn't work, the customers SBS2008 server  ..and my test SBS2008 server
that does work ..and they are pretty much identical.
That's what's puzzling me..

Jim.

"Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT]" <aceman@mvps.RemoveThisPart.org> wrote in message
> "Jim" <jim@dontwantspam.com> wrote in message
>> It does work internally though.
>>
>> If I send a message from a user to the user who is configured for IMAP
>> then I can reply to their messages OK.
>>
>> Only doesn't work if it is from an external domain..which bit in EMC
>> ought I to be looking at  ?
>>
>> Or is there a cmdlet that I could run ?
>>
>> Jim.
>

> It works internally because it is using the currently logged on user
> account for credentials. > Ace

0
Jim
1/7/2010 7:50:25 PM
> >If you look at the IMAP settings in the EMC, Authentication, can you
> >describe your current permisisons list, please?
>
> Which area are you referring to specifically ?
>
> The Authentication tab is set to 'Plain text logon (Basic authentication )
> no TLS'
>
> Not sure what you mean regards permissions list ?
>
> I've been all the way through all the settings on both the server that
> doesn't work, the customers SBS2008 server  ..and my test SBS2008 server
> that does work ..and they are pretty much identical.
> That's what's puzzling me..
>
> Jim.

Both the customers and your server do not work?

What port are you specifying in the client? Port 25 or 587?

When you specify the user account to use for authentication, are you
specifying it as NetBiosDomainName\alias and the password?

Let's take a look at the settings....

For IMAP4: Keep in mind, IMAP4 is a client retrieval protocol. It has
nothing to do with sending mail. SMTP handles sending mail from the client.
These are the retrieval settings. You've already established this part
works, but I just wanted to point out the settings .
Open EMC
Expand Server Conifiguration
Client Access
In the middle pane, buttom, click on the POP3 & IMAP4 tab
Right Click IMAP4, Choose Properties
Make sure "Plain Text Logon (Basic Authentication). No TLS connection..." is
selected.

For Client Sending (SMTP):
Open EMC
Expand Server Configuration
Expand Hub Transport
In the middle pane, bottom, Click on the Receive Connectors tab
Right Click "Client ServerName," choose Properties
Network Tab: You will see it uses port 587 (not 25 as most would think)
Authentication Tab: Select:
   TLS
   Basic
   Offer Basic
   Integrated Windows
Permissions Group Tab: select:
   Anonymous Users
   Exchange Users

Also, another way is to allow anonymous to relay. But that is exposing a big
hole for the machine. One way to circumvent that is to create an additional
Receive connector, however you would want an additional IP address on the
SBS to do that, which will cause numerous issues. Take a look at the
following link to know what I mean, including a command to open relaying.
However, I highly advise AGAINST it.

Allowing application servers to relay off Exchange Server 2007
http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2006/12/28/432013.aspx

Try using port 587 in the client, make sure the credentials are set
correctly (as stated above), and give it a try. Let us know how you make
out.

Ace

0
Ace
1/8/2010 12:24:15 AM
>>Though I am using Outlook 2007 on my test PC on my test rig as opposed to
>>Outlook 2003 at the customer site..would this be relevant ?

Ahem...     remember this bit from one of my earlier posts...?

...It seems that it *does* indeed make a difference !!

At the customer site I logged onto a PC with Outlook 2007 and then setup the
same user account in IMAP4 in Outlook 2007...

...and guess what...?    it works just fine just like on my test rig. !!

So it would seem as if there is something up/different with sending via SMTP
to Exchange 2007 using IMAP4 from Outlook 2003....it is fully patched SP3
etc

Conversely I'll do the same test back on my test SBS2008 setup and see if
the same thing happens if I use Outlook 2003 on my test rig as opposed to
Outlook 2007...then I'll be sure of what is going on.

Well I never...back soon...

Jim.

0
Jim
1/9/2010 11:23:09 AM
Ah ha !

Same thing happens...it *does not*  work from Outlook 2003 on my test rig
either !

I guess logic should have alerted me to this earlier...

So both my customers SBS2008 server and my test SBS2008 server *will* allow
me to send mail via SMTP from an account/profile configured with IMAP...from
Outlook 2007

But they both will *not* let me send a reply via SMTP ( unable to relay )
if I use Outlook 2003 as the client !

Both versions of Outlook are setup in an identical manner though there are
small differences in the setup screens as you can appreciate.

Now....as my original reason for doing this is related to some IP telephony
software not being able to send a test message from it's IMAP setup screen,
the software vendor says we have to turn on and use SMTP
authentication...however when I do this I get the same 'unable to relay'
message that I do when I try to send a message from Outlook 2003..

This would seem to indicate that there is something in Exchange 2007 that is
only permitting SMTP connections from certain authenticated sources...and
not Outlook 2003 or my IP telephony software..even though they are trying to
authenticate..

Are there any settings in Exchange 2007 governing what client types it can
receive SMTP mail from ?

I though that somewhere when I was setting up a separate standalone Exchange
Server 2007 once upon a time it asked me what client level I wanted to
permit for use with Exchange 2007...or did I dream that ?

Is their a client compatibility setting somewhere ?

>>>Though I am using Outlook 2007 on my test PC on my test rig as opposed to
>>>Outlook 2003 at the customer site..would this be relevant ?
>

> Ahem...     remember this bit from one of my earlier posts...?
>
> ..It seems that it *does* indeed make a difference !!
>
> At the customer site I logged onto a PC with Outlook 2007 and then setup
> the same user account in IMAP4 in Outlook 2007...
>
> ..and guess what...?    it works just fine just like on my test rig. !!
>
> So it would seem as if there is something up/different with sending via
> SMTP to Exchange 2007 using IMAP4 from Outlook 2003....it is fully patched
> SP3 etc
>
> Conversely I'll do the same test back on my test SBS2008 setup and see if
> the same thing happens if I use Outlook 2003 on my test rig as opposed to
> Outlook 2007...then I'll be sure of what is going on.
>
> Well I never...back soon...
>
> Jim.

0
Jim
1/9/2010 11:44:02 AM
> Ah ha !
>
> Same thing happens...it *does not*  work from Outlook 2003 on my test rig
> either !
>
> I guess logic should have alerted me to this earlier...
>
> So both my customers SBS2008 server and my test SBS2008 server *will*
> allow me to send mail via SMTP from an account/profile configured with
> IMAP...from Outlook 2007
>
> But they both will *not* let me send a reply via SMTP ( unable to relay )
> if I use Outlook 2003 as the client !
>
> Both versions of Outlook are setup in an identical manner though there are
> small differences in the setup screens as you can appreciate.
>
> Now....as my original reason for doing this is related to some IP
> telephony software not being able to send a test message from it's IMAP
> setup screen, the software vendor says we have to turn on and use SMTP
> authentication...however when I do this I get the same 'unable to relay'
> message that I do when I try to send a message from Outlook 2003..
>
> This would seem to indicate that there is something in Exchange 2007 that
> is only permitting SMTP connections from certain authenticated
> sources...and not Outlook 2003 or my IP telephony software..even though
> they are trying to authenticate..
>
> Are there any settings in Exchange 2007 governing what client types it can
> receive SMTP mail from ?
>
> I though that somewhere when I was setting up a separate standalone
> Exchange Server 2007 once upon a time it asked me what client level I
> wanted to permit for use with Exchange 2007...or did I dream that ?
>
> Is their a client compatibility setting somewhere ?
>
> Jim.

Those settings are in the same area that I mentioned earlier. Did you go
through each section under the Server Config, Client Access?

There is also in the properties of the receive connectors which IP subnets
you are allowing to receive from.

Also, how are you providing credentials? (I asked that earlier).

Ace

0
Ace
1/9/2010 5:02:10 PM
>>Also, how are you providing credentials? (I asked that earlier).

'Use the same settings as my incoming mailserver'     and username is
specified as:   domain\username

> "Jim" <jim@dontwantspam.com> wrote in message
>> Ah ha !
>>
>> Same thing happens...it *does not*  work from Outlook 2003 on my test rig
>> either !
>>
>> I guess logic should have alerted me to this earlier...
>>
>> So both my customers SBS2008 server and my test SBS2008 server *will*
>> allow me to send mail via SMTP from an account/profile configured with
>> IMAP...from Outlook 2007
>>
>> But they both will *not* let me send a reply via SMTP ( unable to relay )
>> if I use Outlook 2003 as the client !
>>
>> Both versions of Outlook are setup in an identical manner though there
>> are small differences in the setup screens as you can appreciate.
>>
>> Now....as my original reason for doing this is related to some IP
>> telephony software not being able to send a test message from it's IMAP
>> setup screen, the software vendor says we have to turn on and use SMTP
>> authentication...however when I do this I get the same 'unable to relay'
>> message that I do when I try to send a message from Outlook 2003..
>>
>> This would seem to indicate that there is something in Exchange 2007 that
>> is only permitting SMTP connections from certain authenticated
>> sources...and not Outlook 2003 or my IP telephony software..even though
>> they are trying to authenticate..
>>
>> Are there any settings in Exchange 2007 governing what client types it
>> can receive SMTP mail from ?
>>
>> I though that somewhere when I was setting up a separate standalone
>> Exchange Server 2007 once upon a time it asked me what client level I
>> wanted to permit for use with Exchange 2007...or did I dream that ?
>>
>> Is their a client compatibility setting somewhere ?
>>
>> Jim.
>>

> Those settings are in the same area that I mentioned earlier. Did you go
> through each section under the Server Config, Client Access?
>
> There is also in the properties of the receive connectors which IP subnets
> you are allowing to receive from.
>
> Also, how are you providing credentials? (I asked that earlier).
>
> Ace

0
Jim
1/9/2010 5:23:54 PM
How about this ?
http://www.shudnow.net/2008/02/10/client-to-server-secure-smtp-connectivity-in-exchange-server-2007

How about I create a new receive connector and restrict it to only receiving
inbound connections from a specific local IP address and then removing all
authentication types and allowing anonymous access and then issuing the
cmdlet:

 Get-ReceiveConnector "Receive Connector Name" | Add-ADPermission -User "NT
AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON" -ExtendedRights
"Ms-Exch-SMTP-Accept-Any-Recipient"

This should then allow me to relay through this connector *only* from the IP
address specified and from any older SMTP client ie Outlook 2003 and also my
telephone IP software PBX.

OK, I've tried this and it does seem to work !

OK, I can see my telephone software IP PBX not being up to date enough to
work with Excghange 2007, but for the life of me I cannot see why I'm
getting these issues with Outlook 2003..
As I said earlier Outlook 2007 seems to work without a hitch....why not
Outlook 2003 ?

As it is their was no other previous receive connectors specifically for
'Client' access, all their was were the default three:

Default 'SERVERNAME'
Windows SBS Fax Sharepoint Receive 'SERVERNAME'
Windows SBS Internet Receive 'SERVERNAME'

So do you think I'm OK to implement the solution above at the customer site
so long as I am very careful to only include the local IP address of the
Telephone software IP PBX server whose voicemail function requires IMAP/SMTP
to send receive voicemail messages.

>>>Also, how are you providing credentials? (I asked that earlier).
>
> 'Use the same settings as my incoming mailserver'     and username is
> specified as:   domain\username
>

> Jim.
>

> "Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT]" <aceman@mvps.RemoveThisPart.org> wrote in
> message news:OgBJ91UkKHA.2164@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>
>> "Jim" <jim@dontwantspam.com> wrote in message
>>> Ah ha !
>>>
>>> Same thing happens...it *does not*  work from Outlook 2003 on my test
>>> rig either !
>>>
>>> I guess logic should have alerted me to this earlier...
>>>
>>> So both my customers SBS2008 server and my test SBS2008 server *will*
>>> allow me to send mail via SMTP from an account/profile configured with
>>> IMAP...from Outlook 2007
>>>
>>> But they both will *not* let me send a reply via SMTP ( unable to
>>> relay ) if I use Outlook 2003 as the client !
>>>
>>> Both versions of Outlook are setup in an identical manner though there
>>> are small differences in the setup screens as you can appreciate.
>>>
>>> Now....as my original reason for doing this is related to some IP
>>> telephony software not being able to send a test message from it's IMAP
>>> setup screen, the software vendor says we have to turn on and use SMTP
>>> authentication...however when I do this I get the same 'unable to relay'
>>> message that I do when I try to send a message from Outlook 2003..
>>>
>>> This would seem to indicate that there is something in Exchange 2007
>>> that is only permitting SMTP connections from certain authenticated
>>> sources...and not Outlook 2003 or my IP telephony software..even though
>>> they are trying to authenticate..
>>>
>>> Are there any settings in Exchange 2007 governing what client types it
>>> can receive SMTP mail from ?
>>>
>>> I though that somewhere when I was setting up a separate standalone
>>> Exchange Server 2007 once upon a time it asked me what client level I
>>> wanted to permit for use with Exchange 2007...or did I dream that ?
>>>
>>> Is their a client compatibility setting somewhere ?
>>>
>>> Jim.
>>>

>> Those settings are in the same area that I mentioned earlier. Did you go
>> through each section under the Server Config, Client Access?
>>
>> There is also in the properties of the receive connectors which IP
>> subnets you are allowing to receive from.
>>
>> Also, how are you providing credentials? (I asked that earlier).
>>
>> Ace

0
Jim
1/9/2010 5:55:01 PM
> How about this ?
> http://www.shudnow.net/2008/02/10/client-to-server-secure-smtp-connectivity-in-exchange-server-2007
>
> How about I create a new receive connector and restrict it to only
> receiving inbound connections from a specific local IP address and then
> removing all authentication types and allowing anonymous access and then
> issuing the cmdlet:
>
> Get-ReceiveConnector "Receive Connector Name" | Add-ADPermission -User "NT
> AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON" -ExtendedRights
> "Ms-Exch-SMTP-Accept-Any-Recipient"
>
> This should then allow me to relay through this connector *only* from the
> IP address specified and from any older SMTP client ie Outlook 2003 and
> also my telephone IP software PBX.
>
> OK, I've tried this and it does seem to work !
>
> OK, I can see my telephone software IP PBX not being up to date enough to
> work with Excghange 2007, but for the life of me I cannot see why I'm
> getting these issues with Outlook 2003..
> As I said earlier Outlook 2007 seems to work without a hitch....why not
> Outlook 2003 ?
>
> As it is their was no other previous receive connectors specifically for
> 'Client' access, all their was were the default three:
>
> Default 'SERVERNAME'
> Windows SBS Fax Sharepoint Receive 'SERVERNAME'
> Windows SBS Internet Receive 'SERVERNAME'
>
> So do you think I'm OK to implement the solution above at the customer
> site so long as I am very careful to only include the local IP address of
> the Telephone software IP PBX server whose voicemail function requires
> IMAP/SMTP to send receive voicemail messages.
>
> Jim.

Jim,

I mentioned about creating an additional receive connector, however I also
mentioned it rquires an additonal IP address on the SBS, which will cause
problems, and I suggested to not
do it because of that reason.

Have you tried to use port 587 to use the default client receive connector??

Ace

0
Ace
1/9/2010 6:29:16 PM

> Jim,
>
> I mentioned about creating an additional receive connector, however I also
> mentioned it rquires an additonal IP address on the SBS, which will cause
> problems, and I suggested to not
> do it because of that reason.
>
> Have you tried to use port 587 to use the default client receive
> connector??
>
> Ace

Jim, try this for the user account, althought it shouldn't really need it,
but give it a shot (substitute the user account alias for my name).

Set-CASMailbox -Identity afekay -IMAPEnabled $true

Ace

0
Ace
1/9/2010 7:26:46 PM
The telephone PBX server IMAP settings tab has very little which can be
changed, I don't think it can be changed to use any other port for SMTP
other than 25.

No, It can't be configured to use any other port other that 25.

And if I engage SMTP authentication on the telephone PBX server then it
fails in the same way that Outlook 2003 is failing regards the unable to
relay.

That's why I have to have authentication turned off.

Why would the additional receive connector require a different IP address ?
not sure I follow you on that one..

Surely it's just an open SMTP receive connector that will *only* accept
incoming SMTP connections from the IP address which is specified as per the
article that I was looking at on the internet.

Like you said before this is nothing to do with IMAP per se...that is
retrieval and works in all cases, it's the sending part of the account which
uses SMTP which is what the issue is regards the 'unable to relay'.

I think that the solution that I have configured on my test server as per
the article is perhaps what I need, I just need to make sure it hasn't
thrown any other spanners in the works so as to speak.

> "Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT]" <aceman@mvps.RemoveThisPart.org> wrote in
> message news:uvoFomVkKHA.5604@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>
>> Jim,
>>
>> I mentioned about creating an additional receive connector, however I
>> also mentioned it rquires an additonal IP address on the SBS, which will
>> cause problems, and I suggested to not
>> do it because of that reason.
>>
>> Have you tried to use port 587 to use the default client receive
>> connector??
>>
>> Ace
>>

> Jim, try this for the user account, althought it shouldn't really need it,
> but give it a shot (substitute the user account alias for my name).
>
> Set-CASMailbox -Identity afekay -IMAPEnabled $true
>
> Ace

0
Jim
1/9/2010 8:33:34 PM
> The telephone PBX server IMAP settings tab has very little which can be
> changed, I don't think it can be changed to use any other port for SMTP
> other than 25.
>
> No, It can't be configured to use any other port other that 25.
>
> And if I engage SMTP authentication on the telephone PBX server then it
> fails in the same way that Outlook 2003 is failing regards the unable to
> relay.
>
> That's why I have to have authentication turned off.
>
> Why would the additional receive connector require a different IP address
> ? not sure I follow you on that one..
>
> Surely it's just an open SMTP receive connector that will *only* accept
> incoming SMTP connections from the IP address which is specified as per
> the article that I was looking at on the internet.
>
> Like you said before this is nothing to do with IMAP per se...that is
> retrieval and works in all cases, it's the sending part of the account
> which uses SMTP which is what the issue is regards the 'unable to relay'.
>
> I think that the solution that I have configured on my test server as per
> the article is perhaps what I need, I just need to make sure it hasn't
> thrown any other spanners in the works so as to speak.
>
> Jim.

The default is what the server uses. The "client" is what was intended for
client connectivity, for security reasons, hence the different port number,
wihch is recommended.

If you want to totally remove authentication, in other words, to allow
relaying on the default SMTP send connector, be forewarned anyone from the
outside world can send through it, such as spammers.

Take a look at the following:

How to Disable Relay for Authenticated Users in Exchange 2007
http://forums.msexchange.org/m_1800460783/tm.htm

I don't know which article you were reading on the internet, whether one I
provided or another, but here is one that has a step by step to create the
additional connector, but as I said it requires an additional IP address on
the server.

Also be forewarned that if you add an IP address to the SBS for this purpose
(AS I previously posted), I gurantee IT WILL cause problems on the SBS.

Exchange 2007: How to allow relay exceptions
http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/networking/?p=373

Please clearly document any changes you make in case you need to review or
revert back. Test the above and see if it will work for your needs.

Ace

0
Ace
1/9/2010 11:38:14 PM
>be forewarned anyone from the outside world can send through it, such as
>spammers.

How are they going to do this ?  when I restrict it to *only* receive
incoming connections from the LAN from a single LAN IP address ?

I am removing the 0.0.0.0-255.255.255.255  and substituting this with the
single LAN IP of the telephone PBX.

The software vendors instructions are to do this also but to use Windows
Intergraded authentication also..

But as we've seen their older version of their software doesn't seem to want
to work with Exchange 2007 in the same way that Outlook 2003 doesn't...hence
the need to go back to a similar model as used in Exchange 2003.

I've tried to send through an authenticated SMTP connection from another PC
whose IP address isn;t in the allow list and I can confirm that it doesn't
work..

It only works from the IP address which I have allowed.

Have you tried to setup and IMAP account in Outlook 2003 and tried to reply
to a message received via IMAP and sent back out to your Exchange Server
2007 using an authenticated SMTP connection from Outlook 2003 ?

I'll bet it doesn't work...

Try the exact same thing from Outlook 2007 and it will..

Why I wonder ?  what's the difference between Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007
regards this ?  obviously something different somewhere..

> "Jim" <jim@dontwantspam.com> wrote in message
>> The telephone PBX server IMAP settings tab has very little which can be
>> changed, I don't think it can be changed to use any other port for SMTP
>> other than 25.
>>
>> No, It can't be configured to use any other port other that 25.
>>
>> And if I engage SMTP authentication on the telephone PBX server then it
>> fails in the same way that Outlook 2003 is failing regards the unable to
>> relay.
>>
>> That's why I have to have authentication turned off.
>>
>> Why would the additional receive connector require a different IP address
>> ? not sure I follow you on that one..
>>
>> Surely it's just an open SMTP receive connector that will *only* accept
>> incoming SMTP connections from the IP address which is specified as per
>> the article that I was looking at on the internet.
>>
>> Like you said before this is nothing to do with IMAP per se...that is
>> retrieval and works in all cases, it's the sending part of the account
>> which uses SMTP which is what the issue is regards the 'unable to relay'.
>>
>> I think that the solution that I have configured on my test server as per
>> the article is perhaps what I need, I just need to make sure it hasn't
>> thrown any other spanners in the works so as to speak.
>>
>> Jim.
>>

> The default is what the server uses. The "client" is what was intended for
> client connectivity, for security reasons, hence the different port
> number, wihch is recommended.
>
> If you want to totally remove authentication, in other words, to allow
> relaying on the default SMTP send connector, be forewarned anyone from the
> outside world can send through it, such as spammers.
>
> Take a look at the following:
>
> How to Disable Relay for Authenticated Users in Exchange 2007
> http://forums.msexchange.org/m_1800460783/tm.htm
>
> I don't know which article you were reading on the internet, whether one I
> provided or another, but here is one that has a step by step to create the
> additional connector, but as I said it requires an additional IP address
> on the server.
>
> Also be forewarned that if you add an IP address to the SBS for this
> purpose (AS I previously posted), I gurantee IT WILL cause problems on the
> SBS.
>
> Exchange 2007: How to allow relay exceptions
> http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/networking/?p=373
>
> Please clearly document any changes you make in case you need to review or
> revert back. Test the above and see if it will work for your needs.
>

> Ace

0
Jim
1/10/2010 9:54:52 AM
> >be forewarned anyone from the outside world can send through it, such as
> >spammers.
>
> How are they going to do this ?  when I restrict it to *only* receive
> incoming connections from the LAN from a single LAN IP address ?
>
> I am removing the 0.0.0.0-255.255.255.255  and substituting this with the
> single LAN IP of the telephone PBX.
>
> The software vendors instructions are to do this also but to use Windows
> Intergraded authentication also..
>
> But as we've seen their older version of their software doesn't seem to
> want to work with Exchange 2007 in the same way that Outlook 2003
> doesn't...hence the need to go back to a similar model as used in Exchange
> 2003.
>
> I've tried to send through an authenticated SMTP connection from another
> PC whose IP address isn;t in the allow list and I can confirm that it
> doesn't work..
>
> It only works from the IP address which I have allowed.
>
> Have you tried to setup and IMAP account in Outlook 2003 and tried to
> reply to a message received via IMAP and sent back out to your Exchange
> Server 2007 using an authenticated SMTP connection from Outlook 2003 ?
>
> I'll bet it doesn't work...
>
> Try the exact same thing from Outlook 2007 and it will..
>
> Why I wonder ?  what's the difference between Outlook 2003 and Outlook
> 2007 regards this ?  obviously something different somewhere..
>
> Jim.

I'm not sure where the difference lies with Outlook 2003 and 2007, but what
I was saying about allowing relaying (without creating an additional SMTP
receive connector requiring an additional IP), it will open up to the
internet, since that is what the server's using to receive outside mail.

Ace

0
Ace

Access denied opening XML attachment
A user on my network cannot open an xml attachment in Outlook 2003. It works fine in previous versions. It says "access denied. Error processing resource." If the file is saved to a drive, then it opens without a problem. Is there some security configuration that would cause this behavior? I have tested on multiple machines and multiple users to rule out profile or other causes. I have also checked security on the tmp folder the file is trying to open from. Any insight would be helpful. -Paul ...

Monitoring Exchange 2003 #2
Hello, We are planning to implement MOM 2005. However, we are also concerned about implementing auditing for changes made within ESM. Will there be a tool that will allow management to know a change was completed by a specific UserID? When a mailbox store is dismounted - who dismounted it/date/time? When a change is made to the RUS - who made the change? Thank you, Exchange2003 MOM does not have the ability to monitor this in the shipped Management Pack. You can enable AD auditing on the domain controllers: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314955&sd=tech. ...

How to make Access 2007 Navigation pane invisible?
I have tried the Access Options. | Current Database | Navigation, uncheck Display Navigation Pane, and the vertical "Navigation Pane" still displays in a compiled .ade. Something else yet? Dean Slindee "Dean Slindee" <slindee@charter.net> wrote in message news:%23o1Zj8odKHA.2188@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... >I have tried the Access Options. | Current Database | Navigation, uncheck >Display Navigation Pane, and the vertical "Navigation Pane" still displays >in a compiled .ade. > > Something else yet? > > Dean Slinde...

Exchange 2003
Hello I have a newly setup production exchange server (sp2). It is only serving a small subset of my organisation, about 15 users, using mydomain1.com. My active directory contains around 100 user accounts that do not have exchange mailboxes and they use our old pop3 based system and have a seperate email domain name, mydomain2.com. It would appear that whenever someone with an exchange mailbox (mydomain1.com) sends mail to people with an email address listed elsewhere in the active directory (mydomain2.com) it gets stuck in the local exchnage delivery queue rather than forwarding i...

Entourage 2004 and Exchange 2003 Cluster
Hello, I have an Active Passive Exchange 2003 SP2 cluster Exch1 and Exch2. When I set it to Exch 1 our one MAC user running Entourage 2004 is unable to connect. Does anyone know what setting to check on the Exchange server? Thanks, DOTT ...

Writing to word 2007
I have a 2003 access database that writes data to text fields in a 2003 word document, no problems, I have now upgraded the database to 2007, and the same code although it appears to run ok, does not actually update the word document fields, i also tried converting the word document from 2003 to 2007. I data transfer using code from within access any thoughts? So no error message; it just doesn't seem top update, right. See this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/242017 I do it with docvariables. Are you using docvariables? If so, read this: http://w...

Outlook 2007: "Cannot save free/busy information"
Hi, all I have been getting the error message "Cannot save free/busy information" from Outlook frequently these days. It started when we changed our configuration from connecting to an Exchange server on the LAN to using a proxy Exchange server that forwards (I imagine) to another Exchange server on a different LAN. I have my profile configured to deliver to a local PST file. It seems that Outlook does successfully update free/busy info on the server sometimes; the error message appears fairly randomly - e.g. sometimes when I delete a meeting request, but not every time. An...

need Help for Migration Exchange 5.5
Hello NG, we`ve the following Configuration : - Exchange 5.5 with SP4 - single Winwos 2000 DC - configured both side ADC a new Hardware should be used for an Exchange 2003 and second DC. next steps i would do as following : - Update ADC Version with Exchange 2003 ADC - running Exchange 2003 forestprep, then domainprep, an after all running setup to install Exchange 2003 in the same organization, site - replicate system Folders and public Folders - moving all Mailboxes to the Exchange 2003 Store - configure the Exchange 2003 virtual SMTP Server to send outgoing Mail - reconfigure the F...

Cannot open Money Deluxe 2007
New laptop, successfully using Money, then now I cannot open it. Windows keeps shutting it down. Tried running as admin. Tried uninstalling, then reinstalling. Help! -- Karen In microsoft.public.money, Karen wrote: >New laptop, successfully using Money, then now I cannot open it. Windows >keeps shutting it down. Tried running as admin. Tried uninstalling, then >reinstalling. Help! What OS? Is there an error message? Were you successfully using Money on that new laptop? Did the problem occur recently? You might want to consider a system restore point from before the pr...

Mailbox Store limits
I've just enabled a mailbox store limit for mailboxes to prohibit sending after exceeding 200 MB. There are about 10 people who are already over that limit....we've sent out many messages and given them ample time to clean up. Since I've enable the limit, I haven't heard from any of those users (and they have been logging on). Is there a time lag before the storage limit quota is enforced? If so, can I manually start it? thanks it could take up to 2 hours...unless you restart the IS, or see this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327378/en-us -- Susan Conkey [MVP] ...

Exchange 5.5, Outlook 2003 and Czech characters
We are using the following configuration: - Windows XP English - Outlook 2003 English + MUI for French, Spanish, Italian, German - Exchange 5.5. We encounter some problem with Czech characters. When contacts are stored in the mailbox in Exchange 5.5, some czech characters are replaced in contact name, company, .... When we stored the same contact in a pst file, evrything works fine. The characters are not replaced. Have somebody an idea or a solution for me? ...

view additional mailboxes offline in outlook
Using Outlook 2003 - We have stup a user to be able to share a mailbox, with another account. When the account is online then the user can see the mailbox and it's contents. When the user is offline they can see the mailbox, but if they click onn it they get an error message saying that the server is unavailable. The shared mailbox is setup for caching. Is there a way to see this mailbox offline? A user needs to be online to see other mailboxes. -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com? -Please...

ProbleM: when I restore a mailbox using Exmerge with a pst file, nothing is transferred.
Hi, I am practising Exmerge for a big remote site migration in a couple of weeks. One thing I dont understand is that I can backup one test mailbox fine using Exmerge (I know this works, as I have opened the mailbox pst file within outlook and everything is there), but when I perform the restore using the pst file, nothing happens. There is no error messages, and Emerge goes through the motions (though it finishes supsiciously quick), but when I open the mailbox, no emails have been restored. Although it is great that Exmerge is working for the backup part of the stage, I am disappointed it i...

Outlook Opens looking for Exchange Server
A computer club member wishes to used Outlook so that she can sync with her Palm. Environment: Windows XP Pro SP2, IE 7, Windows Genuine Advantage installed. Symptom One: When Outlook is opened, the program is looking for Exchange Server. She is using a laptop with no exchange server available. Symptom Two: When performing Office Update, three items did not install all with error code 0x8024402C: 1. Update for Outlook Junk Mail (KB943591) 2. Office 2003 update SP3 3. Security Update for CAPICOM (KB931906) I suspicion that Office 2003 is a 60 day trial that has never been activated. Are ...

in creating a pie chart in excel 2007
How many rows or columns of data can the pie chart plot I once tried 360 cells and got a wonderful Moiré pattern Why not just experiment with 1, 2, 3 dozen and see for yourself if the result is acceptable ? best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme "bsalohcin" <bsalohcin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F9CF7752-1816-4DCE-BF82-9C25033AE888@microsoft.com... > How many rows or columns of data can the pie chart plot According to MS:- Data series in one chart 255 (max limit) Data points in a...

Exchange 2003 or Outlook 2003 error
This is only happening with one of our users, and I am trying to figure out if it is with there Outlook 2003 Client or if it is with our Exchange 2003 server. I have read other posts about this however I could not tell if the error was with one or all of the clients. Also they seemed to indicate it was for outside there domain, ours is happening for both outside and inside when a mail is sent to a user on the same server and domain. They have not received the error (to my knowledge) from OWA. Error: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject...

One Record Per Page Printing-Access 2007
Report for daily appointments for senior transportation drivers. Report is grouped by Driver. Keep together is selected. Detail band: Keep together-Yes; Force New Page-Before Section; Can Grow-Yes; Can Shrink-Yes Goal: Report generated so each driver has his/her own appointments. Orientation: Landscape, paper size 8.5 x 14, column width: 13.5729"; column height: 0.3069" When previewing in Print Preview one record per page is appearing rather than all appointments for a driver for a given date. I have the bands as narrow as I can make them. I am missing somethi...

Exchange VSS Writer Error
Hi, Our Exchange Server ( running on Win2003, Exch2003-SP1 ) is having backup issues since the active backup job was interrupted by a network failure. Network switch's power was interrupted during an active backup job. After the incident, I am having error when I try to start the exchange backup. I am using Veritas Backup veritas 10 to do the backup job. I have tried to use the windows native backup but is facing the similar problem also. The following is the event details when i try to activate a backup job Event Type: Information Event Source: NTBackup Event Category: None ...

cannot get BCM to work on Office Enterprise 2007 and Windows 7
I have Windows 7 and Office enterprise 2007 and tried to install BCM 2007 and got it installed then opened Outlook and said it could not setup database. Is BCM 2007 compatible with Enterprise and Windows 7. Is there a work around? ...

MFC Registry Access in Automation Servers (EXE)
I have written a MFC server application (MFC automation server). Some configuration settings are saved with WriteProfileInt /WriteProfileString to the registry. I used SetRegistryKey("Mycompany") for the registry path. The application works fine under different users. Now this application is started as embedded server via my ASP code from the IIS. The machine is a Windows 2003 Web Edition Server. For this case the DCOM and IIS settings uses a predefined user for the ASP code and the COM server. If I start the app per hand now under this user everything is going well. But if the app ...

center text when conditional format applied
Textbox control on Access 2007 form lost its centered alignment when conditional formatting is applied. This did not happen in previous versions of Access. I tried using format painter to apply conditional formats from a control created in an earlier version, but this failed. The control created in the earlier version then lost it's centering after saving in Access 2007. -- Roy Handy Interesting. I tried to replicate this behaviour but failed, it all worked as it should. Try revisiting your form after applying the conditional formatting and resetting the text box to center text. ...

Restricting SubForm to One Record Entry Per Parent: Access 2007
Hello All, I have a one-to-one relationship between two table. I have successfully added the subform, but I get the option to add additional child records in the Datasheet View. This means that when a user tabs to the next row and enters data they get an error--and they should. Question: How do I restrict the subform to show only one row in Datasheet View? I hope I was clear. Feel free to ask for clarification. Thank you in advance for your assistance. Alcide, You have two options here. If the records are already added to the source of the subform you could set the &qu...

MS Exchange Server
I do not have Outlook installed on my home computer, which has WinXP installed, but I do at work so I am somewhat familiar with it. Recently whenever I try to click on a "Contact Us" link in a web page, a window opens for MS Exchange Server. I am pretty sure that has something to do with Outlook, but I do not think it has anything to do with Outlook Express. Why has this started happening and how do I remove it. I cannot use the "contact us" function on Any webpage. Thanks mmobilman In IE go to Tools - Internet Options - Program Tab and make sure your desired email p...

Access 2007 pivot
I have a complex query that is based on ERP data exports. I am supporting a multi-dimensional matrix organization. A pivot table would be a perfect tool for analysing sales, margins, and changes for different business units. I have been using Excel pivots a lot and also in this case started with excel. However, the amount of data and usability of reports limits the possibility to distributing information in excel. With Excel I was able to all the tricks especially using the calculated item functionality, which is missing from the access pivot component. What I would like to ha...

Exchange Password Issue
I will explain this problem as best I can. I have a Windows based network, with a windows server 2003 domain controller and an exchange server 2003, which is also a back up domain controller. Every 30 days users are required to change their windows logon password, this is set up through group policy. When users change their Windows logon passwords it does not replicate to the exchange server, so when they try to open their email it prompts them for a password, then when they enter their new password it does not work and they end up getting locked out of their accounts. Then what I do is...