SBS2008 + C:\ partition very low on disk space

Hi All,

Been to see someone who had a very early SBS2008 to do some service packing
etc etc as they had been having some issues.

When I got there the C:\ partition which is 65GB only has 5GB free disk
space left on it..

Weird thing is when you check out how much disk space the files and folders
are using this only amounts to 27GB !

So where pray tell is the other 33GB consumed ???

I've turned off all the hidden files and folders etc etc to view this so I
should be looking at everything as far as I can tell.

Anyone any ideas ? Obviously need to sort this before I embark on some
patching.

No Previous Versions configured for C:\

0
Jim

Ahhh  here's someone with a similar problem...

 http://simultaneouspancakes.com/Lessons/2010/01/13/recovering-hidden-disk-space-used-on-sbs-2008-c-partitions/..this is indeed the culpritIs it safe to just delete some of these log files ?..and why are they building up and can they be managed more effectively ?"Jim" <jim@dontwantspam.com> wrote in messagenews:i31qqb$152k$1@energise.enta.net...> Hi All,>> Been to see someone who had a very early SBS2008 to do some servicepacking etc etc as they had been having some issues.>> When I got there the C:\ partition which is 65GB only has 5GB free diskspace left on it..>> Weird thing is when you check out how much disk space the files andfolders are using this only amounts to 27GB !>> So where pray tell is the other 33GB consumed ???>> I've turned off all the hidden files and folders etc etc to view this so Ishould be looking at everything as far as I can tell.>> Anyone any ideas ? Obviously need to sort this before I embark on somepatching.>> No Previous Versions configured for C:\>>>>>
0
Jim
7/31/2010 7:03:35 PM
Sorry, not sure what happened there..

Here it is again

> Ahhh  here's someone with a similar problem...
>
> http://simultaneouspancakes.com/Lessons/2010/01/13/recovering-hidden-disk-space-used-on-sbs-2008-c-partitions/..this
> is indeed the culpritIs it safe to just delete some of these log files
> ?..and why are they building up and can they be managed more effectively
> ?"Jim" <jim@dontwantspam.com> wrote in
> messagenews:i31qqb$152k$1@energise.enta.net...> Hi All,>> Been to see
> someone who had a very early SBS2008 to do some servicepacking etc etc as
> they had been having some issues.>> When I got there the C:\ partition
> which is 65GB only has 5GB free diskspace left on it..>> Weird thing is
> when you check out how much disk space the files andfolders are using this
> only amounts to 27GB !>> So where pray tell is the other 33GB consumed
> ???>> I've turned off all the hidden files and folders etc etc to view
> this so Ishould be looking at everything as far as I can tell.>> Anyone
> any ideas ? Obviously need to sort this before I embark on somepatching.>>
> No Previous Versions configured for C:\>>>>>

0
Jim
7/31/2010 7:04:48 PM
This is indeed the culprit

Is it t safe to just delete some of these log files ?

> Sorry, not sure what happened there..
>
> Here it is again
>
> http://simultaneouspancakes.com/Lessons/2010/01/13/recovering-hidden-disk-space-used-on-sbs-2008-c-partitions/
>

> "Jim" <jim@dontwantspam.com> wrote in message
>> Ahhh  here's someone with a similar problem...
>>
>> http://simultaneouspancakes.com/Lessons/2010/01/13/recovering-hidden-disk-space-used-on-sbs-2008-c-partitions/..this
>> is indeed the culpritIs it safe to just delete some of these log files
>> ?..and why are they building up and can they be managed more effectively
>> ?"Jim" <jim@dontwantspam.com> wrote in
>> messagenews:i31qqb$152k$1@energise.enta.net...> Hi All,>> Been to see
>> someone who had a very early SBS2008 to do some servicepacking etc etc as
>> they had been having some issues.>> When I got there the C:\ partition
>> which is 65GB only has 5GB free diskspace left on it..>> Weird thing is
>> when you check out how much disk space the files andfolders are using
>> this only amounts to 27GB !>> So where pray tell is the other 33GB
>> consumed ???>> I've turned off all the hidden files and folders etc etc
>> to view this so Ishould be looking at everything as far as I can tell.>>
>> Anyone any ideas ? Obviously need to sort this before I embark on
>> somepatching.>> No Previous Versions configured for C:\>>>>>

0
Jim
7/31/2010 7:05:53 PM
Recovering Disk Space on the C: Drive in Small Business Server 2008 -
The Official SBS Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2010/03/02/recovering-disk-space-on-the-c-drive-in-small-business-server-2008.aspx

You can go into the IIS console and turn off the WSUS IIS logs

Jim wrote:
> This is indeed the culprit
>
> Is it t safe to just delete some of these log files ?
>
> And why are they building up and can they be managed more effectively
>

> "Jim" <jim@dontwantspam.com> wrote in message
>> Sorry, not sure what happened there..
>>
>> Here it is again
>>
>> http://simultaneouspancakes.com/Lessons/2010/01/13/recovering-hidden-disk-space-used-on-sbs-2008-c-partitions/
>>

>> "Jim" <jim@dontwantspam.com> wrote in message
>>> Ahhh  here's someone with a similar problem...
>>>
>>> http://simultaneouspancakes.com/Lessons/2010/01/13/recovering-hidden-disk-space-used-on-sbs-2008-c-partitions/..this
>>> is indeed the culpritIs it safe to just delete some of these log
>>> files ?..and why are they building up and can they be managed more
>>> effectively ?"Jim" <jim@dontwantspam.com> wrote in
>>> messagenews:i31qqb$152k$1@energise.enta.net...> Hi All,>> Been to
>>> see someone who had a very early SBS2008 to do some servicepacking
>>> etc etc as they had been having some issues.>> When I got there the
>>> C:\ partition which is 65GB only has 5GB free diskspace left on
>>> it..>> Weird thing is when you check out how much disk space the
>>> files andfolders are using this only amounts to 27GB !>> So where
>>> pray tell is the other 33GB consumed ???>> I've turned off all the
>>> hidden files and folders etc etc to view this so Ishould be looking
>>> at everything as far as I can tell.>> Anyone any ideas ? Obviously
>>> need to sort this before I embark on somepatching.>> No Previous
>>> Versions configured for C:\>>>>>

0
Susan

Adding a C# Com object
I converted a MFC 6.0 project over to mfc.net so I could add a C# com object for connecting to Oracle. Everything works fine in XP but when I try and run the application in NT 4.0 ( with IE6.0 and framework 1.1), I get a CoCreateInstance failure. Any Ideas? Error Fixed. The error I was getting from the CoCreateInstance was 0x80040154 "Class not registered". Through lots of searching I found that I needed to register the DLL by running the "RegAsm.exe" program. Its found in one of the "Microsoft.NET\Framework" directories. "Larry" wrote: &g...

Comparing two XML files in C#
Hallo everybody, I have the following problem. There are two XML files: first one (FIRST.xml) includes all products definition, the second one (SECOND.xml) is a product instance. What do I need is to compare these two files. Let's see an example: FIRST.xml <Product ID=""> <Element ID=""/> <Element ID=""/> ..... <Element ID=""/> </Product> SECOND.xml <Root> <Products> <Product ID=""> <Module Name=""/> <Module Name="...

Call IMAPIPROP method through c#
I'm trying to invoke OpenProperty Method on the mapiobject, member of MailItem. The problem is that mapiobject is not a com object. I can obtain a com interface through the correct GUID but it seems no member is accessible. The HrGetOneProp function helps to access some property but the OpenProperty is necessary. I know that it's possible to create a c++ wrapper but i would like to use only c# code. Thank you "lorenzo" <Lorenzo.Guida@gmail.com> wrote in message > I know that it's possible to create a c++ wrapper but i would like to > use only c# code. Try ...

How start Acrobat with a certain doc from my C++ App?
How can I start AcrobatReader and have it open a certain document (by use of the full path & file-name) from my C++ code. Should also work for basicly any registered document- type i.e. Word etc. Any ideas? brgrds & thanks: Nils Hello 1)You can use ShellExecute() and specify the PDF file as the program to be executed. This will work if PDF is registered with AcroBat. This method works with any registered document. 2)Use WinExec or any other program spwaning facility to run AcroRd32.exe and specify the PDF file as the parameter. Regards, Elias "Nils" <Nils@dcc-onlin...

SBS 2008
Hello , My SBS 2008 server is installed on drive C. This drive does not contain exchange files or userfiles. It's a 90 GB Harddrive. If I open the C: drive and select all files I get a 27 GB of data. However, if I look at drive properties, the use is 84 GB, leaving only 4 GB. This causes problems. Strange thing is that everytime I reboot I loose aprox 1 GB extra. (Yesterday I started with 7 GB of freespace after turning of shadow copies) The server also uses Trend Micro Worry Free Any clues on what could cause this problem? Download WinDirStat. -Cliff "Pin...

opened outlook express and on tools there is no email accountsto c

COPY DISK TO EXCEL
I'M TRYING TO COPY DIS TO EXCEL AND IT SAY THAT I CAN'T OPEN MY DOCUMENTS BEVAUSE IT IS A SHORT CUT? Sounds like the message is "telling it like it is". It appears that rather than copying the file the shortcut was copied instead. To find the file, if you don't know where it is but can see the shortcut, Right click the shortcut, select "Properties", locate the "Shortcut" tab and click "Find Target" This will open an explorer window in the directory with the file selected. Copy the file. -- Regards; Rob ----------------------------------...

Any Tricks to decreasing Workbook size (disk space usage)?
Wondering if any of you have any suggestions for decreasing the file size for a workbook. Granted it has a LOT of sheets (aka tabs) (about 210), but not a lot of info and it grows in 2MB increments it seems - 45 rows to a sheet, 36 columns, a third of which are blank, and a third are numeric entries, the other third formulas. It is getting a bit unwielding to e-mail around and I am looking for ideas on how I can decrease the size of it. Thanks for any thoughts you may have. -- Bruce Bruce, I did an experiment where I created 6 sheets with a 36x45 block of data + a header. This came...

Ipad and SBS2008 RWW
Can anyone provide advice on using an Apple Ipad to connect to SBS2008 server and client computers using Remote Web Workplace? on a little research, I believe a third party app like Jumpdestop might be needed. But anyone who has successfully used the Ipad to access SBS2008 and its clients over RWW who can provide some guidance would be helpful. Note: also posted on the SBS Forum. Gary S wrote: > Can anyone provide advice on using an Apple Ipad to connect to SBS2008 > server and client computers using Remote Web Workplace? on a little > research, I believe a thir...

"Disk is full" message when sending files from Mac OE
One of the old Macintosh G3s in my office has a lot of trouble sending out emails with attachments from Outlook Express 5. If the attachment is larger than 1 MB, Outlook Express returns an error, "Disk is full." This has followed us from one Mac to another, and from one ISP to another. This happens ONLY with this one user's email account. The rest of the office has no trouble sending out messages up to 10 MB. She has plenty of room on her 35 GB hard drive, so what disk is full? Does anyone know what this error is referring to? Thanks, cprovancher cprovancher wrote: > One o...

Powerpoint under C# automation + Thumbnails
Before i try to re-invent the wheel, the following is what i want to do : Context - kios situation - Run powerpoint showing thumbnails at the top or bottom of slides to come / been - Slides by default transition on fixed time - However i have a USB button which i have C# s/w which allows me to read presses. A press and hold will hold the screen (up to a much longer time) and a tap will advance to the next slide. I have reasons for using powerpoint over flash, due to dynamic content update. So unless there is an addon that does this and allows me to run my C# button co...

Application crashing because of chkesp.c error..
Hi, File : i386\chkesp.c Line : 42 The value of ESP was not properly saved across a function call. This is usually a result of calling a function declared with one calling convention with a function pointer declared with a different calling convention. What does this error mean ?/ The executable runs perfectly on my machine but when i give it on to the client machine.. it crashes while loading.. I need to solve this issue.. how can I ?? ===== Regards, Jigar Mehta A calling convention is the protocol used to call the function (how parameters are passed and the stack is restored). Y...

C-Tree V4.3
Does anyone have C-Tree V4.3 for sale? I understand it is very old. ...

Proofreading options; change spaces after a sentence
Is there a place where one can determine proofreading otions that correct typing errors, and the way to change two spaces after a sentence to one? You can have grammar check flag two spaces as an error, but there is no automatic replacement. If this is Word 2007, click the Office button, and then click Word Options. In the Proofing category, click the Settings button (under "When correcting spelling and grammar in Word"). -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "citizen53" <citizen53@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:963AA117-8549-4749-...

Find and Replace: Using White Space Combination Character
Hello All, I am trying to remove the occurence of two spaces between words from my Mail Merged Publisher 2003. I am doing the following in the Find and Replace Dialog: Find What: ^W^W Replace With: ^W After that I click Replace and I get the message "Publisher Could Not Find Any Matching Text". However, there are about 30 instances of two spaces after a word because the blank Middle Name issue in my Mail Merge produced these multiple instances of two spaces. The character combination codes were taken from MS Publisher Help|Find and Replace|Find What|Tip. Any ideas on this....

Size of free space
How can I enquire as to the available memory in the free store that I can allocate using the new operator Thanks in advance Nigel I do not think it is that easy. Having 100MB of heap memory available to your process does not mean that you can allocate all of it in a single call to new/malloc. Same thing applies if your address space is fragmented. The free memory could be fragmented, so you would only be able to allocate memory that was as large as the largest fragment, or in the case of address space fragmentation (or exhaustion), only as large as the largest appropriate contigious rang...

Space Screen Saver
Does anyone know of a free "space" screen saver similar to the one that came with Windows 95 that is Vista compatible? Thanks! On Jul 22, 6:12=A0am, "Even Stephen" <EvenStep...@att.net> wrote: > Does anyone know of a free "space" screen saver similar to the one that c= ame > with Windows 95 that is Vista compatible? =A0Thanks! ---------------------------------------------------------------------------= -- Look here... http://www.freesaver.com/space01.htm Procede with caution. I'm always leary of free screensaver downloads. ...

Low on Memory
I am running 2 computers (1xlaptop 1xdesktop) both on Winxp Pro and Office 2003 (SP1). Publisher runs fine on laptop (512MB) but on desktop (1GB) tells me "windows is low on memory" with nothing else running. Have tried various settings for vitual mem but makes no difference. Now tearing hair out! Any advice? When do you get the message? Are you performing some task in Publisher or is the message appearing when you open Publisher? How to understand the repair feature in Office 2003 and in Office XP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822238/en-us -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http...

macros won't run evn on low security after clone to SSD
Hi, In Word 2003, macros won't run even on low security. I have cloned my hard drive to SSD, by either ghost or Acronis, and everything works except macros won't run. error message as though security settings a problem, but not resolved even on low security. They work perfectly on the original hard drive. What can I do? best, Randall please email to arjayu@hotmail.com or preferably randallc@ozemail.com.au if you have a solution! ...

offline defrag
Hi All. I have a little query. We have exchange installed on the D partition and the exchange DB stored on the E drive. We would like to do a offline defrag but when we run esutil it comes back saying there isn't enough disk space to complete the task. The E drive has more than the recommended 110% free disk space available but the D drive only has 2 GB available. Now our exchange db is approx 20GB and I think esutil is trying to run on the D partition and create the temp exchange db on the D drive (which isn't big enough). My question to everyone is, can I move the esutil.ex...

Visual C Debug error
When I try to open Outlook in Office XP I get the following message: Runtime error'-2147024882 (8007000e)' System error &H80004005(-2147467259) Unspecified error Can anyone help with this as I am unable to use Outllok anymore. Thanks ...

[SOFT TOOL EXE DLL ISO C PHP NIX WIN CISCO] search & download === www.GEGEREKA.com
Project of the year: Incredible unique search machine like nothing on earth. any kind of useful data: WIN,NIX,CISCO,MAC,DLL,PHP,EXE,ISO, ...and much more Millions files for everyone. Also music, movies and other media. http://www.GEGEREKA.com : THE LORD OF DOWNLOADS. ...

how do I remove tristate.c virus from an excel file?
as above From Google http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/o97m.tristate.html -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "toolyfiddler" <toolyfiddler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8EEE219F-AA25-4FA1-96AE-04E695E8B7C3@microsoft.com... > as above ...

How to build a project in Visual C++.net developed in Visual C++ 6
Hi, I am Nageshwar. I have developed a project in VC++ 6.0 and OpenGL. I have installed VC++.net in my system. When I compile and build the same code in VC++.net environment, I am getting errors. I have used fstream.h to read and write to files. But this header file is showing errors in VC++.net. I have used iostrea.h header. This is also showing erros. I think I need to use a different version of headers. Please suggest me how to recover from these errors. Which header file I have use instead of fstream.h header? etc., Thanks for all who help me.. Awaiting an early response, Nageshwar ...

Redemption MAPI access(c#)
HI every one i have coded a program can searches all our company calendars. and looks for tags like vacation and adds them to a database. and then a project manager can view all the data in a web interface. But it seem like OOM is very unstable when using olNameSpace = olApplication.GetNamespace("MAPI"); From redemtion API Important note: if you set this property to Namespace.MAPIOBJECT property from the Outlook Object Model and your code is running outside the outlook.exe address space (i.e. it is not a COM add-in) some RDO features (RDOFolder.ACL, RDOPSTStore.PstPath...