SBS2003 + Internet Explorer - Use automatic configuration script

We have a customer who has an SBS 2003 Premium server with ISA 2004

They have just installed a bolt on to Outlook which searches their mailboxes
or something.

They have discovered that they cannot get this to work unless the untick the
'Use automatic configuration script' in Internet Explorer.

Trouble is each time they re-boot a PC the tick comes back, so sounds like
it's a policy setting somewhere.

What is this ?

Where is it configured and what are the implications of turning it off ?

Could it be that rather than turn it off whatever it is ought to be
configured to work with their application which it currently appears to be
impeding ?

I've noticed for a while now that IE appears to take significantly longer to
start up and display the home page when this setting is ticked as well.

Turn it off at IE starts straight away as opposed to five to ten seconds on
some sites....or am I imagining this ?

Jim.

0
Jim

Hi Jim,

See Terrence Liu's posts in the following thread for disabling 'Use
automatic configuration script':

configuration script ie
http://www.winvistatips.com/configuration-script-ie-t663377.html

--
Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
============================

"Jim" <jim@dontwantspam.com> wrote in message
> We have a customer who has an SBS 2003 Premium server with ISA 2004
>
> They have just installed a bolt on to Outlook which searches their
> mailboxes or something.
>
> They have discovered that they cannot get this to work unless the untick
> the 'Use automatic configuration script' in Internet Explorer.
>
> Trouble is each time they re-boot a PC the tick comes back, so sounds like
> it's a policy setting somewhere.
>
> What is this ?
>
> Where is it configured and what are the implications of turning it off ?
>
> Could it be that rather than turn it off whatever it is ought to be
> configured to work with their application which it currently appears to be
> impeding ?
>
> I've noticed for a while now that IE appears to take significantly longer
> to start up and display the home page when this setting is ticked as well.
>
> Turn it off at IE starts straight away as opposed to five to ten seconds
> on some sites....or am I imagining this ?
>
> Jim.

0
Merv
3/6/2010 1:18:48 PM
Well done Merv,

That does the trick..

But what's it all about anyway ?

Jim.

"Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]" <mwport@no_spam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Jim,
>
> See Terrence Liu's posts in the following thread for disabling 'Use
> automatic configuration script':
>
> configuration script ie
> http://www.winvistatips.com/configuration-script-ie-t663377.html
>
> --
> Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
> ============================
>
> "Jim" <jim@dontwantspam.com> wrote in message
>> We have a customer who has an SBS 2003 Premium server with ISA 2004
>>
>> They have just installed a bolt on to Outlook which searches their
>> mailboxes or something.
>>
>> They have discovered that they cannot get this to work unless the untick
>> the 'Use automatic configuration script' in Internet Explorer.
>>
>> Trouble is each time they re-boot a PC the tick comes back, so sounds
>> like it's a policy setting somewhere.
>>
>> What is this ?
>>
>> Where is it configured and what are the implications of turning it off ?
>>
>> Could it be that rather than turn it off whatever it is ought to be
>> configured to work with their application which it currently appears to
>> be impeding ?
>>
>> I've noticed for a while now that IE appears to take significantly longer
>> to start up and display the home page when this setting is ticked as
>> well.
>>
>> Turn it off at IE starts straight away as opposed to five to ten seconds
>> on some sites....or am I imagining this ?
>>
>> Jim.

0
Jim
3/6/2010 3:44:44 PM
I believe it has to do with the way in which each workstation obtains its
settings for Internet Explorer and the Firewall client when using ISA 2004:

Understanding the Web Proxy and Firewall Client Automatic Configuration
http://www.redline-software.com/eng/support/articles/isaserver/general/understanding_the_web_proxy_and_firewall_client_automatic_configuration.php

Apparently, IE on your workstations has been manually (or programmatically)
configured with specific settings.  When you have the "Automatically detect
settings" and/or "Use automatic configuration script" checkmarked in the ISA
Server 2004 configuration, the workstations look to the scripts provided in
the ISA 2004 configuration for information on how to set IE and the Firewall
Client for the workstation.  These scripts will override any 'custom' IE
settings made by another program or manually set by an admin.  So, with them
checkmarked, the Outlook "bolt-on" doesn't work because the ISA scripts
override the original or manual settings.  If you uncheck them, the original
or manual configuration is allowed to be applied to IE.

--
Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
============================

> Well done Merv,
>
> That does the trick..
>
> But what's it all about anyway ?
>
> Jim.
>

> "Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]" <mwport@no_spam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Jim,
>>
>> See Terrence Liu's posts in the following thread for disabling 'Use
>> automatic configuration script':
>>
>> configuration script ie
>> http://www.winvistatips.com/configuration-script-ie-t663377.html
>>
>> --
>> Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
>> ============================
>>
>> "Jim" <jim@dontwantspam.com> wrote in message
>>> We have a customer who has an SBS 2003 Premium server with ISA 2004
>>>
>>> They have just installed a bolt on to Outlook which searches their
>>> mailboxes or something.
>>>
>>> They have discovered that they cannot get this to work unless the untick
>>> the 'Use automatic configuration script' in Internet Explorer.
>>>
>>> Trouble is each time they re-boot a PC the tick comes back, so sounds
>>> like it's a policy setting somewhere.
>>>
>>> What is this ?
>>>
>>> Where is it configured and what are the implications of turning it off ?
>>>
>>> Could it be that rather than turn it off whatever it is ought to be
>>> configured to work with their application which it currently appears to
>>> be impeding ?
>>>
>>> I've noticed for a while now that IE appears to take significantly
>>> longer to start up and display the home page when this setting is ticked
>>> as well.
>>>
>>> Turn it off at IE starts straight away as opposed to five to ten seconds
>>> on some sites....or am I imagining this ?
>>>
>>> Jim.

0
Merv
3/6/2010 5:00:06 PM
Cheers Merv

> I believe it has to do with the way in which each workstation obtains its
> settings for Internet Explorer and the Firewall client when using ISA
> 2004:
>
> Understanding the Web Proxy and Firewall Client Automatic Configuration
> http://www.redline-software.com/eng/support/articles/isaserver/general/understanding_the_web_proxy_and_firewall_client_automatic_configuration.php
>
> Apparently, IE on your workstations has been manually (or
> programmatically) configured with specific settings.  When you have the
> "Automatically detect settings" and/or "Use automatic configuration
> script" checkmarked in the ISA Server 2004 configuration, the workstations
> look to the scripts provided in the ISA 2004 configuration for information
> on how to set IE and the Firewall Client for the workstation.  These
> scripts will override any 'custom' IE settings made by another program or
> manually set by an admin.  So, with them checkmarked, the Outlook
> "bolt-on" doesn't work because the ISA scripts override the original or
> manual settings.  If you uncheck them, the original or manual
> configuration is allowed to be applied to IE.
>
> --
> Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
> ============================
>
> "Jim" <jim@dontwantspam.com> wrote in message
>> Well done Merv,
>>
>> That does the trick..
>>
>> But what's it all about anyway ?
>>
>> Jim.
>>

>> "Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]" <mwport@no_spam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Jim,
>>>
>>> See Terrence Liu's posts in the following thread for disabling 'Use
>>> automatic configuration script':
>>>
>>> configuration script ie
>>> http://www.winvistatips.com/configuration-script-ie-t663377.html
>>>
>>> --
>>> Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
>>> ============================
>>>
>>> "Jim" <jim@dontwantspam.com> wrote in message

0
Jim

sending mail using an alias email address
We are using Exchange Server 2007 with Outlook 2007 clients. I have several email addresses listed under my mail account on the Exchange Server for which I "receive" email. However, the server will not allow me to "send" email using any of these email addresses - as it only allows me to send using the primary address for my email account. I get a message saying "You are not allowed to send this message ... on behalf of another sender without permission to do so." What settings do I need to change on the Exchange Server so that it allows Outlook 2007 ...

using parameters
I have a form which the user selects the BlockNo. The other information that is entered in the form is : 1) NoOfRecordedTrees - RT 2)NoOfSurroundingTrees - ST When the BlockNo is entered, a query runs which picks up fertiliser rates for this Block for all sectors within that block. With RT and ST - it should do a calculation such that it uses Rate/ sector * (RT+ST) to find how much fertiliser is needed for each sector in each block. I would like to add a column to the existing query showing FertiliserAmt using these parameters. How do I specify them within the query. Thanks for your great...

Won't configure updates...
I am able to install updates, and actually get a "pending" message beside the updates in the Update Manager. But when I restart my computer, I get a 0% installed message next to the 3-3 updates etc. then a message that the updates weren't configured correctly. I'm about ready to punt, any help is appreciated. CrystalBall© sez... Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for Windows Vista, but only for Service Pack 2 (SP2). This support, originally scheduled to end 26 November 2009, has been extended until 26 February 2010. A...

Finding all queries which use a table

Internet connection problem
Hi. I hope someone is able to cast some light on a problem. We have a home network (all computers running XP) some wired and some wireless. For about a month now we have intermittent connection problems in that any one computer (randomly) will not connect to internet. I think all of the computers have suffered from the problem. Rebooting the affected computer makes no difference but rebooting the router can sort it until the next time. Even my mobile phone occasionally cannot connect. In Firefox the message is just "server not found". Pinging an IP address results in a time...

Re: Using alias address
Brian Tillman wrote: > Vince <vinresp*@swhome.com> wrote: > > >>We use an exchange server at work for e-mail. I have set up an alias >>that I use for receiving mail but I wanted to use the alias for >>sending all the mail as well. I was told that it cannot be done in >>exchange but I can use a POP server. > > > I don't believe that's always true. For example, I have several accounts in > Outlook where I work, all within the same profile. Only one of those > accounts, the Exchange account, uses my work address. The ot...

Can Outlook 2003 use MSN Messenger INSTEAD of Windows Messenger?
I didn't get an answer to this question last week so I'm re-posting... I recently purchased a new computer (Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2) and loaded up all of the available updates to the OS, Internet Explorer, etc. Next, I installed Office 2003 Professional. I disabled Messenger integration with Outlook 2003 as discussed in other posts here. Next I installed MSN Messenger 6.2 and it seemed to run properly as a stand-alone application. So I re-enabled Messenger integration on Outlook 2003. The next time I booted up and ran Outlook, the Messenger icon appeared in the taskbar...

Don't want to automatically open email Outlook 2000
I have recently started using Outlook 2000 instead of Outlook Express. In Express - I was able to preview messages without actually opening the file. In OL2000, the file automatically opens up... is there any way of preventing this. ...

how to automatically suppress space before after column break?
Having Spacing Before and After on some of the styles, I seem to be unable to have the space before at the beginning of a column automatically dismissed when applying a column break. I have tried a couple of options under compatibility, but to no avail. This in on Word 2003. The No HTML function + No Space Before after column break do not solve the problem. Can you help please? Tools | Options | Compatibility: Suppress Space Before after a hard page or column break. If this isn't working, then check to make sure you don't have an empty paragraph before the first text pa...

create main configuration file for solution.
Hello. How can I create main configuration file for my solution (Win-Form : VS 2008. VB.NET), like a general ini-file. Thanks :) "Mr. X." wrote: > Hello. > How can I create main configuration file for my solution (Win-Form : VS > 2008. VB.NET), like a general ini-file. > It's called an app.config. There is a name space you can use to mainulupate the app.config from a program. I see it on the project source directory (not for solution). I cannot see it on the release directory. Is there any convention to read / write from app.config...

Creating Contacts For Accounts Using...

Scroll horizontaly with mouse, create same system used to scroll .
Hi, I think it would be great if mouses adopted a second scroll button, for horizontal scrolling, just like the vertical one .... Indeed, when you work with wide Excel spreadsheets, you can easily scroll down but to scroll from left to right or vice-versa, you have to use the scroll bar or arrows and it's annoying... So, am I a millionnaire yet??? Hi Frederic, > I think it would be great if mouses adopted a second scroll button, for > horizontal scrolling, just like the vertical one .... Indeed, when you work > with wide Excel spreadsheets, you can easily scroll down b...

outlook in sub-domain to set use root-domain question!!!
Dear Sir Please see below more details,(We are using special railway line between Head office in Taipei and branch office in Tao-Yuan) Head office in Taipei: aaa.com(Root domain) Dc server * 2(One of it is GC Server), Front-End Exchange 2003 *1, Back-End Exchange 2003 * 2(One is named mail1, another is named mail2 ) Branch office in Tao-Yuan: bbb.aaa.com(sub-domain) Dc Server *1(No GC Server,No Exchange Server) After using ADMT v3 Tool, when I transfer an account from root named aaa.com(ou) to bbb.aaa.com. After I ins...

Outlook first use
Hi, when I open Outlook in a workstation for the first time, Outlook open setup and ask user to create a new profile. I have a utility to create profile automaticaly and this setup is deleting existing profile. Is it possible to Outlook don�t ask to create a new profile for the first time? Tks. Alex ...

Online Restore using NT Backup has no edb.chk or edb.log files
I have a single site with four servers running Exchange 5.5 SP4 on NT4 SP6a. I am using an internal 35/70 Compaq DLT. When I back up two servers at the same time using online method, I am missing the edb.log and and edb.chk files when trying to restore the db's. Is there a known issue for this? Thanks, Jim When you make online backup, you are backing up the database content perse, the logs files will be skipped because ntbackup cannot back up open files. I recomend you to adquire a third party backup software with open files and exchange database options, like Veritas to ensu...

Calculating Correlation using arrays
I have a sheet full of data for many products in chronological order. Column A is Date of manufacture Column B is time of manufacture Column C is the product Column D is a measurement from the automatic control system Column E contains occasional manual measurements for calibratio checks Up till now I have split the data out by grade and checked calibratio using pivot tables and also checked slope and offsets. After gainin exposure to all kinds of clever functions via this board I now wonde whether it would not be possible to automate these checks in some way ie on a separate sheet I list t...

Sequentially number lines automatically

Hide Global.xls (personal.xls) in project explorer
How do I hide VBAProject(Global.xls) in project explorer. I just want my normal project there. Helge You can't hide it, but you could give it a password: Select your project Tools|VBAProject|Protection tab Give it a memorable password At least the project won't be too intrusive. nankerp wrote: > > How do I hide VBAProject(Global.xls) in project explorer. I just want > my normal project there. > > Helge -- Dave Peterson ...

Exclude outbound Internet mail from journaling #2
I have an Exchange 5.5 installation which requires message journaling of internal email only. External (Internet) email is captured and archived by a gateway SMTP server, whilst internal mail is journaled to the same SMTP server for archiving. The documentation regarding journaling on Exchange 5.5 details how to route local messages through the MTA, and how to route Internet Mail Service messages through the private information store, but it seems even when this second routing configuration is not applied, outbound internet mail is still being journaled. I need a way to ONLY journal ...

use excel to create PP slides?
I'm not sure if this is possible but I have a list of information in an excel table and I'd like to auto matically generate a slide for each row of data. for instance, I have a list of products and each product is on it's own row with 6 product features in the following columns. How can I take that info from excel and create a features slide for each product using the information from the following columns. I don't mind cutting and pasting the list - it doesn't have to be fully automatic but as I have over 1000 products I desperately don't want to reype ...

Using BGInfo Command Line Parameters
I've read the Help file in BGInfo - but can't figure out how to use Command Line Parameters. When I click on my startup icon, I would like to invoke certain parameters. The line I came up with is: "C:\Program Files\BGInfo\BgInfo\Bginfo.exe /timer:99 /popup /taskbar /rtf:C:\DATA\BGINFO /nolicprompt" Obviously, this is wrong. My Target line reads: "C:\Program Files\BGInfo\BgInfo\Bginfo.exe" My Start in line reads: "C:\Program Files\BGInfo\BgInfo" Please help me by telling me what, exactly, should go in each line. I would also like t...

Automatic response email on Microsoft exchange 2003
How can I generate an automatic email response from a group of internal users to a group of external users? We have about 500 customers that we want to respond to when they send an email to a group of about 30 inside sales people. Is this possible? If this can not be done then can I send an automatic reply to any external email going to the group of 30 inside sales people? Thank you, Chris either make the external users post to a public folder and set the rule there to reply with a template or create outlook server side rule on one of the sales mambers (create a dummy user and...

Creating and pasting using VB
I need to create an email and paste a current selection in microsoft excel using visual basic. I have just started to work on this so I don't know what all I have to include. If I need mapi add-ins or anything else added please let me know. I already have the sub routines set to copy the data that I need out of excel but now I need to email this data automattically. Any help would be very helpful. Thanks, Matt ...