SBS Monitoring 4GB (2008) Now what?

How do I either delete the monitoring database or move it? I have SQL
Express, can see the database, have shrunk the log database, but stuck with
the .mdf SBS Monitoring. Errors all over the place saying I can add or
modify the data.

Help and TIA

Bobby

0
Bobby

I'd start here:

http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2009/07/14/sbs-2008-console-may-take-too-long-to-display-alerts-and-security-statuses-display-not-available-or-crash.aspx

And make sure to read through the comments of this blog post too.  They
cover manually running the cleanup the first time (which I recommend) since,
at 4 gigs, it'll take awhile.

-Cliff

"Bobby Janow" <bjanow@msn.com> wrote in message
> How do I either delete the monitoring database or move it? I have SQL
> Express, can see the database, have shrunk the log database, but stuck
> with the .mdf SBS Monitoring. Errors all over the place saying I can add
> or modify the data.
>
> Help and TIA
>
> Bobby

0
Cliff
2/23/2010 7:04:42 PM
Running it now. I had cleaned up the log database but it's growing now with
this command running. Hope this does it, thanks. I'll post back.

"Cliff Galiher - MVP" <cgaliher@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'd start here:
>
> http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2009/07/14/sbs-2008-console-may-take-too-long-to-display-alerts-and-security-statuses-display-not-available-or-crash.aspx
>
> And make sure to read through the comments of this blog post too.  They
> cover manually running the cleanup the first time (which I recommend)
> since, at 4 gigs, it'll take awhile.
>
> -Cliff
>

> "Bobby Janow" <bjanow@msn.com> wrote in message
>> How do I either delete the monitoring database or move it? I have SQL
>> Express, can see the database, have shrunk the log database, but stuck
>> with the .mdf SBS Monitoring. Errors all over the place saying I can add
>> or modify the data.
>>
>> Help and TIA
>>
>> Bobby

0
Bobby
2/23/2010 8:28:27 PM
My log file is over 6 GB now. Yikes, do I stop it?

"Cliff Galiher - MVP" <cgaliher@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'd start here:
>
> http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2009/07/14/sbs-2008-console-may-take-too-long-to-display-alerts-and-security-statuses-display-not-available-or-crash.aspx
>
> And make sure to read through the comments of this blog post too.  They
> cover manually running the cleanup the first time (which I recommend)
> since, at 4 gigs, it'll take awhile.
>
> -Cliff
>

> "Bobby Janow" <bjanow@msn.com> wrote in message
>> How do I either delete the monitoring database or move it? I have SQL
>> Express, can see the database, have shrunk the log database, but stuck
>> with the .mdf SBS Monitoring. Errors all over the place saying I can add
>> or modify the data.
>>
>> Help and TIA
>>
>> Bobby

0
Bobby
2/23/2010 9:05:49 PM
The command ate up all my HD space and now my database is corrupt. Any
ideas? Can I move it to another partition?

"Cliff Galiher - MVP" <cgaliher@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'd start here:
>
> http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2009/07/14/sbs-2008-console-may-take-too-long-to-display-alerts-and-security-statuses-display-not-available-or-crash.aspx
>
> And make sure to read through the comments of this blog post too.  They
> cover manually running the cleanup the first time (which I recommend)
> since, at 4 gigs, it'll take awhile.
>
> -Cliff
>

> "Bobby Janow" <bjanow@msn.com> wrote in message
>> How do I either delete the monitoring database or move it? I have SQL
>> Express, can see the database, have shrunk the log database, but stuck
>> with the .mdf SBS Monitoring. Errors all over the place saying I can add
>> or modify the data.
>>
>> Help and TIA
>>
>> Bobby

0
Bobby
2/23/2010 9:13:24 PM
Even better, is there a way to wipe out the whole thing and start all over?

"Cliff Galiher - MVP" <cgaliher@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'd start here:
>
> http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2009/07/14/sbs-2008-console-may-take-too-long-to-display-alerts-and-security-statuses-display-not-available-or-crash.aspx
>
> And make sure to read through the comments of this blog post too.  They
> cover manually running the cleanup the first time (which I recommend)
> since, at 4 gigs, it'll take awhile.
>
> -Cliff
>

> "Bobby Janow" <bjanow@msn.com> wrote in message
>> How do I either delete the monitoring database or move it? I have SQL
>> Express, can see the database, have shrunk the log database, but stuck
>> with the .mdf SBS Monitoring. Errors all over the place saying I can add
>> or modify the data.
>>
>> Help and TIA
>>
>> Bobby

0
Bobby
2/23/2010 9:17:56 PM
No, you run the risk of major mangling

SBS Monitoring Database issue collection.
=====================================

As you may already know that monitoring on SBS 2008 uses SQL express
edition instance. In SQL express edition, there is a limitation of a
database size which is 4GB. So what is going to happen if monitoring
database is full? It will not be able to log anything and generate SQL
errors like two ones below:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        MSSQL$SBSMONITORING
Date:          12/16/2009 4:15:47 PM
Event ID:      1827
Task Category: (2)
Level:         Error
CREATE DATABASE or ALTER DATABASE failed because the resulting
cumulative database size would exceed your licensed limit of 4096 MB per
database.

Date:          12/16/2009 4:15:47 PM
Event ID:      1105
Task Category: (2)
Level:         Error
Could not allocate space for object 'dbo.EventLog'.'PK_EventLog' in
database 'SBSMonitoring' because the 'PRIMARY' filegroup is full. Create
disk space by deleting unneeded files, dropping objects in the
filegroup, adding additional files to the filegroup, or setting
autogrowth on for existing files in the filegroup.

To solve this issue, we need to run the SQL script in the article below.

SBS 2008 Console May Take Too Long to Display Alerts and Security
Statuses, Display Not Available, or Crash
http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2009/07/14/sbs-2008-console-may-take-too-long-to-display-alerts-and-security-statuses-display-not-available-or-crash.aspx

The SQL script adds a feature to cleanup database every 30 days. This
can reduce the size of database. Running this SQL script will
immediately trigger the cleanup task.

Issue: Insufficient space to run above script

As a matter of fact, the above script will require lots of disk space on
this monitoring database to execute, usually goes to 20 GB and will be
shrink if this script is running successfully. By default, monitoring
database is located in C drive, so if the customer doesn't have enough
free space on C drive. They will have a big problem, exchange database
will be down, DNS, DHCP problem, � due to inefficient free space, also
the SQL script will fail possibly

If in this case, we need to shrink the monitoring database manually.
There are two files associate to monitoring database, they are

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\SBSMonitoring.mdf
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\SBSMonitoring_log.ldf

The huge file should be SBSMonitoring_log.ldf

To shrink it:

1. Go to Start, type SQL server management studio express, when it shows
in the search result, right click it and choose run as administrator

NOTE: You must run SQL management studio as administrator to do the
steps below.

2. Accept default configuration, it should show Monitoring by default,
click Connect.
3. Expand Databases and find the SBSMonitoring, right click it and
choose Tasks -> Back up, create a full backup.
4. After backing up, right click SBSMonitoring and choose Tasks, Shrink,
file.
5. In the opening window, choose Log in the File Type drop down list and
click OK.
6. Now the SBSMonitoring_log.ldf file should shrink.

The issue should be resolved now.

Issue: Database is detached
----------------------------

For above issues, you may have some pre-troubleshooting work before you
contact Microsoft Professional. There are chances you manually detach
the monitoring database to have a try. Unfortunately, this will cause
some problem. The database will not be attached again as the limitation
is 4096 MB. You cannot reinstall the monitoring components because
reinstalling monitoring will NOT recreate the database. To solve this
issue, we need to recover the database by replacing it with a database
file from clean and good working machine. You could post your issue in
forum and Microsoft support professional will diagnosis the problem and
even send database files from good clean machine and get it attach to
the monitoring instance. Fortunately, monitoring database doesn't rely
on domain name and server name. Steps are:

1. Run services.msc.
2. Stop the Datacollectorsvc service(Windows SBS Manger Service), SQL
Server(SBSMONITORING) service (To be able to unlock monitoring database
files)
3. Change the name of those 2 files in case you will use them in the future:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\SBSMonitoring.mdf
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\SBSMonitoring_log.ldf

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\SBSMonitoring-bak.mdf

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\SBSMonitoring_log-bak.ldf

4. Get the good database file from clean installed machine received from
your support professional and  copy those two files to C:\Program Files
(x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\ folder

Note: you don�t need to do detach or attach database in SQL Management
Studio. And that database has already tuned by the SQL command.

5. Start the SQL Server(SBSMONITORING) service

6. Start the Datacollectorsvc service(Windows SBS Manger Service)

For monitoring report doesn't generated issue

Usually, it could be caused by corrupted monitoring component or missing
or corrupted monitoring databases.

For corrupted monitoring component, we can follow the repair guide.

Repair monitoring and reporting features in Windows Small Business
Server 2008
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd560614(WS.10).aspx

For monitoring database, we need to first check whether the following
two files are existing.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\SBSMonitoring.mdf
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\SBSMonitoring_log.ldf

For monitoring email cannot be sent issue.
Most of this issue is caused by incorrect configuration on Exchange
receive connectors. You can all Exchange Receive connectors and run fix
my network wizard to fix SBS specific ones. However, for Default
<servername> connector, FNCW cannot create it, you need to manually
create by steps in the article below:

Fix My Network wizard (FNCW) Fails to Fix the Exchange SMTP Connectors
in SBS 2008
http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2008/09/29/fix-my-network-wizard-fncw-fails-to-fix-the-exchange-smtp-connectors-in-sbs-2008.aspx

If this doesn't work, we could investigate this issue by reviewing the
following log  "C:\Program Files\Windows Small Business
Server\Logs\MonitoringServiceLogs" folder, there will be a file called
DataServiceComponents.log, this file usually is very huge, this is
because it contains almost every detailed error file in it. However, it
is incredibly useful, you will be able to find the exact error. Here is
an example which shows why reporting email failed to send.

[364] 091128.120849.1072: AdminTME: Status: TaskId =
TaskGenerateMonitoringReport, RootTaskId = TaskGenerateAndEmailReport,
Success: True, Warning: False, Continue: True, Message:

---<< This line shows the TaskGenerateAndEmailReport, email generating
and sending message can be found here, you need to search this key word
to locate the root cause.

[364] 091128.120850.4192: Exception:
---------------------------------------
An exception of type 'Type: System.Net.Mail.SmtpException, System,
Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' has
occurred.
Timestamp: 11/28/2009 12:08:50
Message: Failure sending mail.
Stack:    at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message)
                    at
Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.SystemHealth.Monitoring.MailUtil.SendMail(String
from, String[] to, String subject, Boolean isBodyHTML, String body,
String inlineAttachmentPath, String[] attachments)
---------------------------------------
An exception of type 'Type: System.Net.WebException, System,
Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' has
occurred.
Timestamp: 11/28/2009 12:08:50
Message: Unable to connect to the remote server
Stack:    at System.Net.ServicePoint.GetConnection(PooledStream
PooledStream, Object owner, Boolean async, IPAddress& address, Socket&
abortSocket, Socket& abortSocket6, Int32 timeout)
                    at System.Net.PooledStream.Activate(Object
owningObject, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, GeneralAsyncDelegate
asyncCallback)
                    at System.Net.PooledStream.Activate(Object
owningObject, GeneralAsyncDelegate asyncCallback)
                    at System.Net.ConnectionPool.GetConnection(Object
owningObject, GeneralAsyncDelegate asyncCallback, Int32 creationTimeout)
                    at
System.Net.Mail.SmtpConnection.GetConnection(String host, Int32 port)
                    at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message)
---------------------------------------
An exception of type 'Type: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException, System,
Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' has
occurred.
Timestamp: 11/28/2009 12:08:50
Message: No connection could be made because the target machine actively
refused it fe80::309c:a749:6920:e429%10:25
Stack:    at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint
endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
                    at
System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure,
Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address,
ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout,
Exception& exception)

The key aspect of the exception is this:
No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused
it fe80::309c:a749:6920:e429%10:25

(In this case, the IP address is an IPv6 address which is not correct,
it should be an IPv4 address for SBS 2008, we solved the issue by
removing IPv6 address in host files.)

[TIP]: If you have any tough issue about monitoring, go to C:\Program
Files\Windows Small Business
Server\Logs\MonitoringServiceLogs\DataServiceComponents.log

Bobby Janow wrote:
> Even better, is there a way to wipe out the whole thing and start all over?
>
> "Cliff Galiher - MVP" <cgaliher@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'd start here:
>>
>> http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2009/07/14/sbs-2008-console-may-take-too-long-to-display-alerts-and-security-statuses-display-not-available-or-crash.aspx
>>

>> And make sure to read through the comments of this blog post too.
>> They cover manually running the cleanup the first time (which I
>> recommend) since, at 4 gigs, it'll take awhile.
>>
>> -Cliff
>>

>> "Bobby Janow" <bjanow@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> How do I either delete the monitoring database or move it? I have SQL
>>> Express, can see the database, have shrunk the log database, but
>>> stuck with the .mdf SBS Monitoring. Errors all over the place saying
>>> I can add or modify the data.
>>>
>>> Help and TIA
>>>
>>> Bobby

0
Susan
2/23/2010 9:45:52 PM
I read all this stuff at least 5 times but it doesn't tell me what to do. I
have shrunk the log file successfully but what do I do with the
sbsmonitoring.mdf which is over 4GB? Is there no way to reduce that other
than the script which expands my log file beyond belief? Something is not
right here or I'm totally missing something.

"Susan Bradley" <sbradcpa@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> should be an IPv4 address for SBS 2008, we solved the issue by removing
> IPv6 address in host files.)
>

> [TIP]: If you have any tough issue about monitoring, go to C:\Program
> Files\Windows Small Business
> Server\Logs\MonitoringServiceLogs\DataServiceComponents.log
>

> Bobby Janow wrote:
>> Even better, is there a way to wipe out the whole thing and start all
>> over?
>>
>> "Cliff Galiher - MVP" <cgaliher@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I'd start here:
>>>
>>> http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2009/07/14/sbs-2008-console-may-take-too-long-to-display-alerts-and-security-statuses-display-not-available-or-crash.aspx
>>>
>>> And make sure to read through the comments of this blog post too.  They
>>> cover manually running the cleanup the first time (which I recommend)

0
bobby
2/24/2010 1:28:20 AM
No, you misunderstood.  The growth to the log file is TEMPORARY:

>> As a matter of fact, the above script will require lots of disk space on
>> this monitoring database to execute, usually goes to 20 GB and will be
>> shrink if this script is running successfully.

Note the "and will [be] shrink if this script is running successfully.

But yes, you need space on your C drive to run the script that will
ultimately, eventually, shrink your data file.  With that said, if you don't
have 20 gigs of free space, you probably need to think about provisioning
more space for that partition anyways.  NTFS operates best with 25% free
space for journalling, temporary work, etc.  Using that logic, a partition
size of 80 gigs would want 20 gigs free, and I'd never run an SBS system on
only an 80 gig partition.  120?  Sure, but then you want 30 gigs free.....

So you'll want to see your space used, do some calculating, and add space as
needed.  Sure, shrinking the SQL data file *will* help, but if your
allocated space is that tight, it won't help enough....

-Cliff

"bobby" <bjanow@msn.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>                    at
>> System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure,
>> Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address,
>> ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout,
>> Exception& exception)
>>
>> The key aspect of the exception is this:
>> No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused
>> it fe80::309c:a749:6920:e429%10:25
>>
>> (In this case, the IP address is an IPv6 address which is not correct, it
>> should be an IPv4 address for SBS 2008, we solved the issue by removing
>> IPv6 address in host files.)
>>

>> [TIP]: If you have any tough issue about monitoring, go to C:\Program
>> Files\Windows Small Business
>> Server\Logs\MonitoringServiceLogs\DataServiceComponents.log
>>

>> Bobby Janow wrote:
>>> Even better, is there a way to wipe out the whole thing and start all

0
Cliff
2/24/2010 1:42:17 AM
Cliff,

Regarding the free space needed by NTFS, is that a hard rule that it needs
25% free, no matter the size of the partition?

I'm having a hard time seeing that a 500GB partition needs to keep 125GB
free space, regardless of whether or not the actual data is even near the
other 75% of the drive. I thought NTFS was more efficient than that!

Gregg Hill

--
Gregg's pet peeves:

First of all, what does a peeve look like, and why would anyone want one as
a pet?

Peeve #1: Apostrophes: when in doubt, leave them out! You will be correct
more often than not.

Its = Belonging to it. For example, "Look at the sky. Its color is blue."
It's = It is. For example, "It's hot today."
It's = It has. For example, "It's been nice talking to you."
Its' = completely incorrect usage. Stop it!

Peeve #2: Your vs. You're
"Your" means belonging to you, as in, "It's your truck."
"You're" means "You are." Example, you're probably about ready to throttle
me for this peeve!

> [...]
>>> Stack:    at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint
>>> endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
>>>                    at
>>> System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure,
>>> Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address,
>>> ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout,
>>> Exception& exception)
>>>
>>> The key aspect of the exception is this:
>>> No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused
>>> it fe80::309c:a749:6920:e429%10:25
>>>
>>> (In this case, the IP address is an IPv6 address which is not correct,
>>> it should be an IPv4 address for SBS 2008, we solved the issue by
>>> removing IPv6 address in host files.)
>>>

>>> [TIP]: If you have any tough issue about monitoring, go to C:\Program
>>> Files\Windows Small Business
>>> Server\Logs\MonitoringServiceLogs\DataServiceComponents.log

0
Gregg
2/24/2010 3:50:10 AM
OIC, thanks for that info. So I cleaned up a bit of the log files and other
junk and now have about 40 GB free on a 100 GB partition. Do I run the
script and if so, how long will it take? It said to manually clean up first
(or something like that) if the database was 4 GB. How do I manually clean
it before the full script? It's not so much the size of the database that's
bothering me but all the errors I'm getting. Heck, I'd even let the script
run overnight if I wasn't worried about crashing the server due to lack of C
drive space. Do you know how this happened all of a sudden?

> [...]
>>> Stack:    at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint
>>> endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
>>>                    at
>>> System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure,
>>> Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address,
>>> ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout,
>>> Exception& exception)
>>>
>>> The key aspect of the exception is this:
>>> No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused
>>> it fe80::309c:a749:6920:e429%10:25
>>>
>>> (In this case, the IP address is an IPv6 address which is not correct,
>>> it should be an IPv4 address for SBS 2008, we solved the issue by
>>> removing IPv6 address in host files.)
>>>

>>> [TIP]: If you have any tough issue about monitoring, go to C:\Program
>>> Files\Windows Small Business
>>> Server\Logs\MonitoringServiceLogs\DataServiceComponents.log

0
bobby
2/24/2010 3:59:31 AM
Major mangling is not really an issue if it doesn't work at all. So there is
no way to wipe the database and start over? Doesn't that seem like a severe
limitation to the OS?

> [...]
> should be an IPv4 address for SBS 2008, we solved the issue by removing
> IPv6 address in host files.)
>

> [TIP]: If you have any tough issue about monitoring, go to C:\Program
> Files\Windows Small Business
> Server\Logs\MonitoringServiceLogs\DataServiceComponents.log
>

> Bobby Janow wrote:
>> Even better, is there a way to wipe out the whole thing and start all
>> over?
>>
>> "Cliff Galiher - MVP" <cgaliher@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I'd start here:
>>>
>>> http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2009/07/14/sbs-2008-console-may-take-too-long-to-display-alerts-and-security-statuses-display-not-available-or-crash.aspx
>>>
>>> And make sure to read through the comments of this blog post too.  They
>>> cover manually running the cleanup the first time (which I recommend)

0
Bobby
2/24/2010 2:02:00 PM
(1 rows affected)
Msg 1913, Level 16, State 1, Server COMPANY\SBSMONITORING, Line 4
The operation failed because an index or statistics with name
'_SBS_BLOG_index_W
MICollectedData_5_K4_K1_K5_2' already exists on table
'dbo.WMICollectedData'.

0
Bobby
2/24/2010 4:15:49 PM
How long it'll take is very dependent on how much data is there, how much
can be cleaned up, and the I/O performance of your machine.  There is no
easy way to determine that ahead of time.  Just set some time aside, run the
script, and *MONITOR* your available disk space.  And, as always, have a
backup.

> OIC, thanks for that info. So I cleaned up a bit of the log files and
> other junk and now have about 40 GB free on a 100 GB partition. Do I run
> the script and if so, how long will it take? It said to manually clean up
> first (or something like that) if the database was 4 GB. How do I manually
> clean it before the full script? It's not so much the size of the database
> that's bothering me but all the errors I'm getting. Heck, I'd even let the
> script run overnight if I wasn't worried about crashing the server due to
> lack of C drive space. Do you know how this happened all of a sudden?
>
> "Cliff Galiher - MVP" <cgaliher@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> No, you misunderstood.  The growth to the log file is TEMPORARY:

>> Note the "and will [be] shrink if this script is running successfully.
>>
>> But yes, you need space on your C drive to run the script that will
>> ultimately, eventually, shrink your data file.  With that said, if you
>> don't have 20 gigs of free space, you probably need to think about
>> provisioning more space for that partition anyways.  NTFS operates best
>> with 25% free space for journalling, temporary work, etc.  Using that
>> logic, a partition size of 80 gigs would want 20 gigs free, and I'd never
>> run an SBS system on only an 80 gig partition.  120?  Sure, but then you
>> want 30 gigs free.....
>>
>> So you'll want to see your space used, do some calculating, and add space
>> as needed.  Sure, shrinking the SQL data file *will* help, but if your
>> allocated space is that tight, it won't help enough....
>>
>> -Cliff
>>

>> "bobby" <bjanow@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> I read all this stuff at least 5 times but it doesn't tell me what to
>>> do. I have shrunk the log file successfully but what do I do with the
>>> sbsmonitoring.mdf which is over 4GB? Is there no way to reduce that
>>> other than the script which expands my log file beyond belief? Something
>>> is not right here or I'm totally missing something.
>>>
>>> "Susan Bradley" <sbradcpa@pacbell.net> wrote in message

0
Cliff
2/24/2010 8:14:26 PM
Bobby Janow wrote:
> (1 rows affected)
> Msg 1913, Level 16, State 1, Server COMPANY\SBSMONITORING, Line 4
> The operation failed because an index or statistics with name
> '_SBS_BLOG_index_W
> MICollectedData_5_K4_K1_K5_2' already exists on table
> 'dbo.WMICollectedData'.

Hmmm hang loose that script should have worked just fine.
0
Susan

SBS 2003 Exchange
Hi, I am receiving event 12800 errors in my application log every 60 seconds. All appears to be normal as far as sending and receiving mail. Another thing to note is that I upgraded my Client Server messaging suite and it had many problems, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled the previous version. That, as well, appears to be working fine. All the information I have found on this error message relates to Exchange 2000. I tried as many of the things as I could that would work with Exchange 2003, but nothing has solved the problem. 1. Has anyone else run into this same kind of proble...

OWA now gives http 400 Bad Request
Trying to access OWA with IE via http://127.0.0.1/exchange on the Exchange server or another server, gives an error http 400 Bad Request It has always worked in the past. Nothing I can see in the event logs, nothing I can see wrong in IIS or ESM. Any ideas? There are two things that have changed in the last week: 1) domain and local machine Administrator account password has been chanced. Nothing seems to have stopped working, could this have caused the problem? If so, where do I look? 2) latest hotfixes were applied. w2000 SP4, Ex2003 SP1. Thanks, Neal ...

SP2 screws Excel. Now only puts in decimal numbers
I installed SP2 for office 2003 yesterday and now anything I type into my excel workbook shows up with .45 instead of 45 which I typed in.. Any ideas? Tools -> Options -> Edit tab. Uncheck "Fixed Decimal Places" HTH knut "Tboz" <Tboz@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding news:42223421-8753-4E47-B4BE-ACED5FD1EF24@microsoft.com... >I installed SP2 for office 2003 yesterday and now anything I type into my > excel workbook shows up with .45 instead of 45 which I typed in.. Any > ideas? tools>options>calculation>precision as displ...

Monitoring Exchange 2003
How do I check the mail messages sitting in my SMTP queue using Exchange System Manager? Under property, the status is showing "Retry Remote Delivery". What is a better way to monitor what is going on in my Exchange server? I am running Exchange 2003 server. Is there also a way of seeing incoming emails before they are delivered to the intended recipients? If I can not use the Exchange System Manager in monitoring, what else can I use? Thanks Emma ...

Monitoring SBS 2003
Scenario: Windows Server SBS 2003 Exchange 2003 I've set monitoring report by e-mail Reports are produced and regularly sent The problem is that the mail produced is sent like ADministrator <administrator@domain.ext> and not like "Company name" <administrator@domain.ext> I've correct: 1) Registry 2) Companyweb and other entry that i've found in other newsgroup.... But the problem persist I've seen that in the mail properties there'isnt the 'SENDER'... Can you help me???? On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 15:21:04 -0700, "Pippo" <Pippo@...

Microsoft's simple printer code won't work on Vista Home Premium, where do I go now?
I am writing an MFC-based app that uses an Epson TM-T88IV receipt printer. Printing to the printer works fine on XP and Vista Home Basic, but doesn't work on Vista Home Premium. I've now compiled the Microsoft "Hello World" print code below with the same results - prints on XP and VHB, doesn't print on VHP. The printer window shows the print job spooling but not printing. Epson says it's not their fault because the driver "Print Test Page" works on VHP, so now I'm stuck. BTW, other apps do print to the printer in VHP, e.g. Word, Excel. Just not eit...

Opening Windows Word 2003 docs with Mac Word 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) We have many computers in the house, including windows XP PC's and Snow Leopard Macs. The macs all run Word for Mac 2008, and the windows PC's run Word 2003. Is there a way to open these documents on the macs so that they will be formatted the same way? Word 2008 should open Word 2003 documents just fine. Is your question a general question, as in "will I be able to do this?", or have you encountered some specific situations in which the formatting of a document is not retained when the document is opened...

HTML now shown as a blank page
I have just accidentally sent all my inbox items to Outlook Express. I have exported them all back to Outlook 2000 (My Default Mail Server) but they are all marked as unread and all the mails that were HTML just show a blank screen. Can anyone please help?? Thanks in Advance Mark ...

newsreader monitoring?
Yesterday I subscribed to the eternal-september newsreader so I could continue to get microsoft newsgroups in OE. I haven't (yet) unsubscribed from msnews, so I'm getting the posts in both newsreaders. Today I checked for responses to a query I'd made in windowsxp.general. I found a response in eternal-september's newsreader that was not in msnews's reader. The response was inappropriate and had to do with pornography. I began to compare posts between the two readers and found some inappropriate posts missing from one or the other reader and some appearing in...

Exchange Server issue in SBS 2003
Hi All, I have discovered an issue with Exchange Server in SBS 2003 that is rather critical (to the performance of Exchange, Distribution Groups and Public Folders). With an SBS 2003 installation, Exchange is configured by default to work in mixed mode. To be able to use Query-based DGs, you MUST promote Exchange 2003 into Native Mode. The problem with this is that once Exchange 2003 in SBS 2003 is running in Native mode, you can no longer use the Exchange Wizards to create a DG that delivers to a PF - the creation proceeds, but fails at the end of the process. I have posted the fu...

Migrate from Sbs 2003 to Win 2008 Std + Exchange 2010
Hi, I need to migrate my solution from sbs to std. I have 75 client, using file server, domain and exchange mailboxes. i have 2 new server with 2008 std r2 operating system. One for AD, other for Exchange 2010. Sbs server will be dismiss. Is possible migrate user account and mailboxs ? Is possible mantein the same domain name? (if not is not a problem) Have you a documents that explain step by step how to migrate ? Thank you very much Lorenzo Hi Lorenzo: By now there are thousands of references to various migration strategies listed in the various groups and els...

Upgrade to Office 2008 Web Services

Downgrade version of Money 2008
I have purchased Money 2008 Plus Home & Buisness and I no longer need the buisness portion of the application. Is there any way that I could downgrade to the Home Deluxe edition with out being charged? Nope. Unless you bought the package in the last 30 days you will just have to carry on using it but ignore the Business features. If in the future you buy a non-Business version you will get nags about losing functionality but you can just ignore them. If you did buy in the last 30 days you can return for a refund but you will then have to buy Deluxe. IMHO not worth the hassle. -- ...

Converting Now() into number value
I would like the difference between two now() fields to somehow be converted into a number value that i can then do a calculation with , but i am at a loss.... The manager would create a task for the user with a due date once the user completes the task the computer would calculate the difference between when it was due and when the user actually completed the task - I am going to use the difference between the two values (converted into HRS) as the actual points the user earns for completing that task. IE if they finish early they will get +points and if they finish late they get ...

tail or other realtime monitors for SMTPSVC exyymmdd.log files?
I'm trying to find an inexpensive way to spot-check / monitor the various log files in realtime for my Exchange environment of 2000 and 2003. I have tried a handful of "tail" implementations and all of them seem to work to a certain degree but none of them are able to successfully keep monitoring the text files that Exchange updates as part of the SMTPSVC. I'm using the W3C format and when I "tail" these files, it won't keep updating properly as new data is appended to the end of this file. Is anyone else monitoring their logs in realtime and if so, what util...

Workflow Monitor "Localhost" Logon Error
At Workflow Monitor "Localhost" Logon, it returns an error of "You do not have sufficient privileges to run the Workflow Monitor. For more information, contact your system administrator". What can I do? You need to be using a user that is a valid CRM user and that has the CRM System Admin role. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 11:11:04 -0800, "Charles Tam" <CharlesTam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: At Workflow Monitor "Localhost" Logon, it re...

Installation of both Office 2004 and Office 2008 on the same computer
I currently own Office 2004 and do not want to lose the VBA functionality. At the same time, the new format available in Office 2008 along with the fact that it runs natively on Intel Macs is appealing. If I purchase Office 2008 for Mac, can I have both versions installed on the same Mac? I don't want to give up the VBA functionality, especially the Analysis Toolpak and Solver. In article <ee8c022.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw>, kk@officeformac.com wrote: > I currently own Office 2004 and do not want to lose the VBA functionality. At > the same time, the new format available i...

Driver failure forces reinstall of Server 2008
I have encountered an annoying problem several times while debugging my storport driver. My system is booted from a standard SATA driver on separate HBA. However if my driver fails to install (BSOD) or crashes while debugging, the system won't recover during a reboot. I see the typical incomplete shutdown message but selecting "boot normally" or "last known good menu" don't allow me to proceed. Instead there is a notice that a critical component (my driver) has a problem that prevents windows from booting. Since my driver is not required for booting, ...

Can't Install Office 2008 for Mac at all
Hi there everyone, I pray someone can help me before I throw my mac through the window. This is the second time I am having this problem. My office just stopped working and no matter what I did I could not open any of the programs, so I uninstalled everything, Microsoft and the preferences. I have now tried to re-install office off disk and I can't even get it to launch I keep getting an error message saying installer created an error and please report which I have done a thousand times. I have restarted the mac and emtied the Trash so there is nothing relating to office...

GP 9.0 on SQL 2008 #2
Is GP9.0 supported on SQL Server 2008? Does GP9.0 appear to perform correctly on SQL Server 2008? Thank you. GP 9.0 is not officially supported on SQL Server 2008, however, if your databases are on SQL Server 2005, you can transfer them to a SQL Server 2008 box under database compatibility 9.0 (SQL Server 2005). Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com The Dynamics GP Blogster at http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com "Marv" wrote: > Is GP9.0 supported on SQL Server 2008? Does GP9.0 appear to p...

How do I cancel an outgoing email
I tried to send an email with 2 photos attached last Friday around 10: AM. It is still in my outbox today (Monday). I can't delete it and keep getting a message that says that it's because it has already started sending. It's been more than 3 days! I've shut down my email, shut down my computer and even restored to the day before. It is still there sending. As a result, all other outgoing messages are waiting too. http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/messagestuckinoutbox.htm should be helpful. "Connie" <Connie@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

Opening a Word file which was previously saved but is now too large
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) I have been working on a WORD document for several weeks, including images as well as text. I saved the doc as usual, but now when trying to open I get the message that WORD cannot now open the file because it is bigger than 32 megabytes. How can I recover this work? Any help appreciated! ...

Help with monitoring software
Hello, We have a several exchange 2003 servers running on windows 2003. I was asked to find a monitoring software that will allow us to monitor exchange server (services, uptime, connitivity, logs,database,...) and windows 2003 in very comprehensive way for under $5K. Can any one recommend a good product? By the way, we have MOM but it's handled by a different group so we need something else. Thanks On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 07:02:00 -0800, desert-mania <desertmania@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello, > >We have a several exchange 2003 servers running on windows 2003...

Control+Z was Undo, now Shrink. How to return to enlarged view?
"Control+Z" used to be Undo, now became shortcut for Shrink. How to return to enlarged view of my email text body, pls? Thank you. Gary garyfan@hughes.net This doesn't sound like an Outlook issue...sounds like another program is hijacking the traditional Windows shortcut keys. See if you can figure out which one...likely one you installed around the time this started happening. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** "Gary Fan&qu...

Used to drag &drop files to new folders,now must cut & paste, Y?
I used to be able to move files simply by dragging to a new folder. We got new computers and now I have to cut and paste to move to folder. Anyone know why? Is there a box somewhere that I need to check? Visit www.ExcelGoodies.Com Visit www.ExcelGoodies.Com Depends on the Operating system, not Excel. EJamison wrote: > I used to be able to move files simply by dragging to a new folder. We got > new computers and now I have to cut and paste to move to folder. Anyone know > why? Is there a box somewhere that I need to check? ...