SBS 2008 server with remote branch office - Need Recommendation

Hi All,

Here's my setup..

Company's New York main office running SBS 2008 Premium on 1 Dell
PowerEdge T710 server with about 10 users.  2nd Windows 2008 server
license not being utilized.

Company is opening up a remote branch office in LA which needs to be
connected back to the New York office server in every way possible.

My question is, what would be the best way to effectively synchronize
the two offices.  I know about Outlook Anywhere, SharePoint, and
remote desktop...but is something like Direct Access (SBS 2008 R2)
worth looking into in an SBS 2008 environment?   And will it work fast
over a T1 line...or does it require an upgrade to a faster internet
connection for better performance?

NOTE: In addition to basic word files, we would like to transfer
rather large video files back and forth (1.5 GB) in the most effective
way possible.

Just looking for some recommendations on whats possible to effectively
get this done.  Thanks.

Ringo

0
Ringo

In article <83cd7d75-ba21-4acd-b493-
76a671dc65ee@m38g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>, ringoenglewood@gmail.com
says...
> NOTE: In addition to basic word files, we would like to transfer
> rather large video files back and forth (1.5 GB) in the most effective
> way possible.

As a side note, I have two offices in Ca, one in LA one in Beverly
Hills. Both are connected by a point-to-point fiber connection, 10mb
connection, and a 1.7 GB file shows 30 minutes to copy across a Windows
network between two 2008 servers.

You need a quality firewall appliance at both sides of your network,
then you build a IPsec tunnel between then (assuming you're not getting
a P2P fiber connection) and the firewalls take care of the routing.

Trust yourself.
Leythos
11/21/2009 2:29:10 AM
On Nov 20, 9:29=A0pm, Leythos <spam999f...@rrohio.com> wrote:
> In article <83cd7d75-ba21-4acd-b493-
> 76a671dc6...@m38g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>, ringoenglew...@gmail.com
> says...
>
> > NOTE: In addition to basic word files, we would like to transfer
> > rather large video files back and forth (1.5 GB) in the most effective
> > way possible.
>
> As a side note, I have two offices in Ca, one in LA one in Beverly
> Hills. Both are connected by a point-to-point fiber connection, 10mb
> connection, and a 1.7 GB file shows 30 minutes to copy across a Windows
> network between two 2008 servers.
>
> You need a quality firewall appliance at both sides of your network,
> then you build a IPsec tunnel between then (assuming you're not getting
> a P2P fiber connection) and the firewalls take care of the routing.
>
> --
> You can't trust your best friends, your five senses, only the little
> voice inside you that most civilians don't even hear -- Listen to that. =
=A0
> Trust yourself.
> spam999f...@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)

Hi,

Thanks so much for the reply...I am definitely interested in this.

Questions:

How much does a 10mb fiber connection cost monthly per location?

Do you have two SBS servers connected?  Or...SBS at primary site, and
the Server License running on the other?

What firewall are you using?

Ringo
0
Ringo
11/21/2009 4:11:20 AM
In article <19b583d6-6a68-47a5-98a7-cda93600ff16
@f10g2000vbl.googlegroups.com>, ringoenglewood@gmail.com says...
>=20
> On Nov 20, 9:29=A0pm, Leythos <spam999f...@rrohio.com> wrote:
> > In article <83cd7d75-ba21-4acd-b493-
> > 76a671dc6...@m38g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>, ringoenglew...@gmail.com
> > says...
> >
> > > NOTE: In addition to basic word files, we would like to transfer
> > > rather large video files back and forth (1.5 GB) in the most effectiv=
> > > way possible.
> >
> > As a side note, I have two offices in Ca, one in LA one in Beverly
> > Hills. Both are connected by a point-to-point fiber connection, 10mb
> > connection, and a 1.7 GB file shows 30 minutes to copy across a Windows
> > network between two 2008 servers.
> >
> > You need a quality firewall appliance at both sides of your network,
> > then you build a IPsec tunnel between then (assuming you're not getting
> > a P2P fiber connection) and the firewalls take care of the routing.
> >
> > --
> > You can't trust your best friends, your five senses, only the little
> > voice inside you that most civilians don't even hear -- Listen to that.=
 =A0
> > Trust yourself.
> > spam999f...@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> Thanks so much for the reply...I am definitely interested in this.
>=20
> Questions:
>=20
> How much does a 10mb fiber connection cost monthly per location?

Fiber, using Time Warner, about $700/month

> Do you have two SBS servers connected?  Or...SBS at primary site, and
> the Server License running on the other?

No SBS at all, we're over 300 users at each location. If I was going to=20
run SBS like this I would put the SBS at the location with the most=20
users, including the license server, and I would put local servers at=20
each remote location. We have more than a dozen servers at the primary=20
location. I would also use Terminal Server.

In the case of another company, one central location, 20+ remote offices=20
with 1-10 users at each location, just under 70 licenses in use (SBS).=20
The central office has SBS and two Terminal Servers and a couple=20
Application servers for the accounting groups. Large firewall at the=20
home office, T1 or Biz Cable internet connections with fixed IP to small=20
firewall at remote locations, almost all remote locations use Neoware or=20
Wyse terminals to connect through the site-site VPN to one of the=20
terminal servers - printers are mapped from home office to the IP of the=20
LAN at the remote offices for each printer.

> What firewall are you using?

WatchGuard X1250e with Pro+UTM options.

--=20
You can't trust your best friends, your five senses, only the little=20
voice inside you that most civilians don't even hear -- Listen to that. =20
Trust yourself.
Leythos
11/21/2009 12:50:20 PM
Ringo,

Leythos is suggesting a great firewall.  We use Watchguard for all of our
client's to connect their main offices to their remote locations. The
firewall and its UTM [Unified Threat Managment] solution is easily to
understand and configure.  It has one of the best price points of any
firewall appliance.

I hope this helps!

Ed Podowski