SBS 2008 RPC under wrong virtual directory in IIS

Hi all - per Cliff's kind coaxing here it is:

Deployed an SBS2008 about 3 months ago, all standard windows updates,
Exchange is at SP1 rollup 9.

My major issue is that the server appears to believe the RPC directories
are located under the IIS Default Website, when in fact they are located
under SBS Web Applications virtual dir (as they should), evidence of this
comes from these PS tests:

[PS] C:\Windows\System32> get-outlookanywhere |fl
WARNING: IIS://EXCH1.acme.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/Rpc was not found.
Please make sure you have typed it correctly.

ServerName                 : EXCH1
SSLOffloading              : False
ExternalHostname           : remote.acme.com
ClientAuthenticationMethod : Basic
IISAuthenticationMethods   : {Basic, Ntlm}
MetabasePath               : IIS://EXCH1.acme.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/Rpc
<<<<<<<<<<<<< should say W3SVC/3
Path                       :
Server                     : EXCH1
AdminDisplayName           :
ExchangeVersion            : 0.1 (8.0.535.0)
Name                       : Rpc (Default Web Site) <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
this is the problem again!!!!!!!!!
DistinguishedName          : CN=Rpc (Default Web
Site),CN=HTTP,CN=Protocols,CN=EXCH1,CN=Servers,CN=Exchange Administrative
Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=First
Organization,CN=Microsoft
Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=acme,DC=local
Identity                   : EXCH1\Rpc (Default Web Site)
Guid                       : 5b2ba1c6-936-41d3-9998-1d1c14be8e98
ObjectCategory             :
acme.local/Configuration/Schema/ms-Exch-Rpc-Http-Virtual-Directory
ObjectClass                : {top, msExchVirtualDirectory,
msExchRpcHttpVirtualDirectory}
WhenChanged                : 1/3/2010 3:42:08 PM
WhenCreated                : 1/3/2010 3:42:08 PM
OriginatingServer          : EXCH1.acme.local
IsValid                    : True
Test-OutlookWebServices |Fl  ----everything passes except:
Id      : 1013
Type    : Error
Message : When contacting https://remote.acme.com/Rpc received the error
             The server committed a protocol violation.
Section=ResponseStatusLine

Id      : 1017
Type    : Error
Message : [EXPR]-Error when contacting the RPC/HTTP service at
https://remote.acme.com/Rpc.
             The elapsed time was 14 milliseconds.
Set-OutlookAnywhere -ClientAuthenticationMethod Basic

cmdlet Set-OutlookAnywhere at command pipeline position 1
Supply values for the following parameters:
Identity: exch1\rpc <SBS Web Applications>
Set-OutlookAnywhere : The operation could not be performed because object
'exch1\rpc <SBS Web Applications>' could not be found on domain controller
'exch1.acme.local'.
At line:1 char:20
+ Set-OutlookAnywhere  <<<< -ClientAuthenticationMethod Basic

The system was setup using the typical wizards - Connect to Internet,
Setup Internet Address...
Once complete Autodiscovery and Out of Office were not properly working,
and possibly other items, but these were the standouts.

It was determined that SSL settings and service Urls were to blame - the
self signed cert generated by the wizard did not properly show the
internal and external DNS names used by the server, nor the default
Autodiscovery name.

DNS is managed by the outside registrar, all records are duplicated
internally.

I used power shell to generate the proper SSL cert with SANs for:
exch1.acme.local
exch1
remote.acme.com
autodiscover.acme.com
acme.com
and remote.acme.local being my primary Subject on the cert.

I also used PS to correct the Internal and External Service Urls as
follows:
Set-ClientAccessServer -Identity Exch1 -AutodiscoverServiceInternalUri
https://Exch1.acme.local/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml
Set-WebServicesVirtualDirectory -Identity "Exch1\EWS (SBS Web
Applications)" -InternalUrl https://Exch1.acme.local/ews/exchange.asmx
Set-OABVirtualDirectory -Identity "Exch1\oab (SBS Web Applications)"
-InternalUrl https://Exch1.acme.local/oab
Set-UMVirtualDirectory -Identity "Exch1\unifiedmessaging (SBS Web
Applications)" -InternalUrl
https://Exch1.acme.local/unifiedmessaging/service.asmx
Set-ClientAccessServer –AutodiscoverServiceInternalUri
https://remote.acme.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml
Set-Outlookanywhere -Identity "Exch1\rpc (SBS Web Applications)"
-InternalUrl https://Exch1.acme.local/rpc

I also had to change this ssl setting
SBS Web Applications > Remote > SSL Settings
Change "Client Certificates" from Required to Accept

So after finding the RPC issues - and now consequently TS gateway is
broken in remote web workplace - I re-ran the wizards, starting with Fix
My Network - it comes up with an error regarding TS Gateway (no real
details), fixes it - however if I re-run the Fix my net wizard, it still
comes up with the same error (reboot changes nothing), I then attempt to
run the Setup Internet Address wizard, which fails at the configuring
Exchange part, and consquently re-hoses all my ssl certs and urls, it
recommends that I run the Fix My Network Wizard - does nothing, I have
also run the Connect to Internet wizard which works well.

I am a consultant, this is only my 3rd SBS2008, but I have about 60-70
SBS2000-2003 deployments under my belt - and yes they all were done with
the wizard.

Regards-
-John
0
John

I've replied to your repost of this issue in the 2008 connect newsgroup,
just as an FYI.  No reason to try and maintain two threads.

-Cliff

"John" <j@dot.com> wrote in message news:op.u8og5hmxvul11g@eee...
> [...]
> SBS Web Applications > Remote > SSL Settings
> Change "Client Certificates" from Required to Accept
>
> So after finding the RPC issues - and now consequently TS gateway is
> broken in remote web workplace - I re-ran the wizards, starting with Fix
> My Network - it comes up with an error regarding TS Gateway (no real
> details), fixes it - however if I re-run the Fix my net wizard, it still
> comes up with the same error (reboot changes nothing), I then attempt to
> run the Setup Internet Address wizard, which fails at the configuring
> Exchange part, and consquently re-hoses all my ssl certs and urls, it
> recommends that I run the Fix My Network Wizard - does nothing, I have
> also run the Connect to Internet wizard which works well.
>
> I am a consultant, this is only my 3rd SBS2008, but I have about 60-70
> SBS2000-2003 deployments under my belt - and yes they all were done with

0
Cliff
2/26/2010 12:56:27 AM
Hi Cliff - where can I find 2008 connect newsgroup please?
Have found this post on many sites and am dying to read to reply, I have
similar issue - cheers
Takasumi

"Cliff Galiher - MVP" wrote:

> [...]
> > SBS Web Applications > Remote > SSL Settings
> > Change "Client Certificates" from Required to Accept
> >
> > So after finding the RPC issues - and now consequently TS gateway is
> > broken in remote web workplace - I re-ran the wizards, starting with Fix
> > My Network - it comes up with an error regarding TS Gateway (no real
> > details), fixes it - however if I re-run the Fix my net wizard, it still
> > comes up with the same error (reboot changes nothing), I then attempt to
> > run the Setup Internet Address wizard, which fails at the configuring
> > Exchange part, and consquently re-hoses all my ssl certs and urls, it
> > recommends that I run the Fix My Network Wizard - does nothing, I have
> > also run the Connect to Internet wizard which works well.
> >
> > I am a consultant, this is only my 3rd SBS2008, but I have about 60-70
> > SBS2000-2003 deployments under my belt - and yes they all were done with

http://connect.microsoft.com/

Register there with a Live ID and from the web dashboard you can then add
groups that are available.  If you prefer using an NNTP client, as I do, the
web interface includes instructions on how to access connect groups you've
registered for to your newsreader of choice.

HTH,

-Cliff

"Takasumi Kanban" <TakasumiKanban@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:E5D21819-0D33-43C4-911C-D0B0E18DF944@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>> >
>> > So after finding the RPC issues - and now consequently TS gateway is
>> > broken in remote web workplace - I re-ran the wizards, starting with
>> > Fix
>> > My Network - it comes up with an error regarding TS Gateway (no real
>> > details), fixes it - however if I re-run the Fix my net wizard, it
>> > still
>> > comes up with the same error (reboot changes nothing), I then attempt
>> > run the Setup Internet Address wizard, which fails at the configuring
>> > Exchange part, and consquently re-hoses all my ssl certs and urls, it
>> > recommends that I run the Fix My Network Wizard - does nothing, I have
>> > also run the Connect to Internet wizard which works well.
>> >
>> > I am a consultant, this is only my 3rd SBS2008, but I have about 60-70
>> > SBS2000-2003 deployments under my belt - and yes they all were done

0
Cliff

Office 2008 for Mac
Actually, I have three questions. I'm a Mac novice and haven't ever had a home computer before. These problems are new to me. Thanks in advance for any help! I get the notice that updates are available and I take the steps indicated to download. It says to quit Word, which I do. I click on "continue" and it doesn't continue...it just beeps. I saved a Word document, but it doesn't have a .doc extension. How do I get that extension? I've tried to send this document to someone by email and they can't open it. The Word documents I have saved succes...

Win7 Virtual WiFi
Hi, This is regarding the following NDISTest requirement in Win7 premium logo certification of WLAN miniport driver VWiFi: Two concurrent STA connections A) Since the wdk documentation states that virtual wifi is not possible without a hosted network Does the above requirement means that there should be three ports created in the miniport driver in the following manner PORT 0 -àDefault port in client, [OP STATE] PORT 1 -àFor Hosted network(Soft-AP) , [INIT STATE] PORT 2 -àVSTA operating in client mode , [OP STATE] B) 1) Can the VS...

SBS 2003 mgt console wizard error
I seen to have a problem I can't fix. SBS 2003 Std - at some point a resintall over the top has been done and a general mess made. I've managed to get most things working again but selecting anything from the mgt console in the backup section gives "Unspecificed Error" in a windows internet explorer window. I've removed / installed (no reinstall option) the administration component which tell me to reapply any SP's but SP1 refuses to reinstall which is why I think I keep getting the error. Nothing in the event user to give any help either. Any su...

SHFileOperation Error when Copying Directory( Source Code Attached
I use MFC Visual C++ 4.2. I use SHFileOperation to copy a directory contents. I found that the files on the Destination folder is not the same as the Source. This is dangerous. The number of files copied is the same but in my case here, 2 files weren't copied and replaced by other files that has been renamed. And one STRANGE thing in my case, it use the same counter except the zero is 1 digit less. Problem: Source: A0001.pdf B0001.pdf C0001.pdf D0001.pdf E0001.pdf Destination: A0001.pdf B0001.pdf B001.pdf D0001.pdf D001.pdf Here is my function: void CToiawaseDlg::CopyDirectory( CSt...

OWA problem with changing local path in IIS
I am migrating an Exchange 5.5 org to 2003 with 16 sites. We're about half way through the migration and have had a problem with OWA defaulting to the domain name of the site where the hub resides. In IIS on the Exchange virtual directory we can reset it to the local desired domain name, but it eventually resets back to the default domain. Example Exchange virtual directory local path \\.\BackOfficeStorage\domain1.edu\MBX is the initial setting. We change to the local domain \\.\BackOfficeStorage\domain13.edu\MBX . But it eventually resets to the first setting. ...

Virtualization and Server Consolidation
Hi folks, I'm currently running SBS2003 and four other Server 2003 machines. Most of these servers are 4-5 years old (Non-profit agency), and are in need of replacement. My plan is to purchase new HW and move to SBS2008 and Server 2008 where I can. A friend of mine has been encouraging me to look at virtualization of my environment. I've not done it before, but was looking for advice from those how have in a SBS environment. I haven't looking in the licensing stuff, except to get a couple of quotes on HP and Dell servers - and the Dell rep told me with Server ...

Virtual PC attributes for Mac running intel. #2
I have subscribed to a business newspaper that only produces graphs using activeX. With my macbook running intel I cannot view the graphs or take advantage of other features. Is there a product or a feature that will allow me to emulate a PC? I am using Office 2004 Student Teacher edition. Thanks in advance for your help. Dan Hi Dan: The product you seek is named "Windows" :-) Seriously, as Bob says, Windows will run just fine on your MacBook (I am running Vista on this MacBook, but I suggest you buy something cheaper: Windows 2000 was a very good year, and it should be avai...

Reply to wrong client address.
User John Public sign in name was set up at JPublic. Exchange created two smtp address: JPublic@server.local and JPublic@companyname.com. The site hosting the company domain has issued user e-mail address in the form Public.John@companyname.com. The problem occurs when someone replys to the user's message. Instead of replying to Public.John@company.com, the reply address is JPublic.com. I have made many attempt to alter the settings in Exchange, with no luck. Everything seems to return to the initial settings. What an I missing? "dcs" <dcsmn@earthlink.net> wrote: >U...

MS Money Plus 2008 Home and Business
Is there a download site for MS Money 2008 with all the updates integrated? When I reinstall this program on my new computer, or for future business continuity it would be nice to be able to install a program that does not require numerous updates, or the possibility of those updates being unavailable at some point. This is my first upgrade since Money 2002 Home and Business, which I stopped using a while back. I still wish this program had integrated emailing of real invoices instead of the text format. I know I can use a PDF printer, but that is bogus solution for such a common need...

RPC over HTTPs
With SP1 for exchange do i still need t oedit the registry on exchange and on the DC to get RCP over HTTPS to work? Thanks Skip While I have applied SP1 to Exchange 2003 and noticed a new tab on the server object in Exchange System Manager concerning RPC-HTTP, I have no clue what this new tab does. (My system was configured for RPC/HTTP before SP1, so I haven't tried any options on this tab to see what it does. Might be worth a peek to see what each does or ask in the m.p.exchange group.) "skip" <skip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BD3933A6-FC93-4A9...

Mr. Kallal & Mr. Fenton: What did I do wrong?
Pls, could you check up http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.access/browse_thread/thread/53ccf79645430bc0/01b2fcbeceb22ac0?lnk=st&q=Set+rsVzdy+%3D+CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(%22VZDY%22)+Czech+version&rnum=1&hl=en#01b2fcbeceb22ac0? According to your comments I must have done something wrong, but I don't know what. Pls, answer in this newsgroup. TIA Vlado For a post that is 5 days old, it certainly not considered rude to start another post/thread.. I not sure why my name is mentioned here....as I don't see my participation in that previous thread.... To ...

Office 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have brought and paid for Office 2008, I have the invoice but no download link or email confirmation. How do I start the download? Thanks? We have nothing to do with sales & distribution of product here. I'd suggest you contact the source from which you "brought and paid for" the product. If you have a problem with that source contact MS Customer Support: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/contactus.mspx Regards |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 10/11/09 1:23 PM, in article 59b7e5d3.-1@webcross...

Dynamics RMS and Windows Server 2008
Hello there, Does anyone know if Windows Server 2008 will be compatible with Dynamics RMS 2.0, 1.3, 1.2, etc? Thank you, Paul I wouldn't bet on it. You'll probably have to wait for RMS 3.0. Tom -- Stop fishing for e-mail "phemberger" wrote: > Hello there, > > Does anyone know if Windows Server 2008 will be compatible with Dynamics RMS > 2.0, 1.3, 1.2, etc? > > Thank you, > Paul RMS 2.0 SP2 (published last weekend) readme file: 6. RUNNING ON WINDOWS SERVER 2008 Running Microsoft Dynamics RMS in a Microsoft Windows Server 2008 environment is...

mail sent under wrong account, anything yet?
Anyone know if this is ever going to be fixed by Microsoft? I just set-up my mail on a different computer and this is happening yet again. I don't feel like going thru the rituals to fix this for the 100th time. This bug has been around for over 3 years now... and one of the MS guys were in here saying they were looking into it 1.5 years ago. I wonder what happened. -Max ...

Is the MS Exchange 2003 GAL an Active Directory Object?
MS Exchange 2003 uses Address Lists such as the Global Address List. I know that this GAL is generated and updated by RUS (Recipient Update Service) and stored in the Active Directory. But is the GAL an Active Directory Object? If not what is this from the Active Directory point of view? The GAL is fundamentally an LDAP query against data stored in AD objects. "Julien" <Julien@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:91C405F8-D3AF-43D8-B6DB-D6F4C731435B@microsoft.com... > MS Exchange 2003 uses Address Lists such as the Global Address List. > I know that this ...

rpc-https with macintosh os x
Are there any applications for Macintosh OS X that will connect to Exchange via rpc-https? I've read a little about Office 2004 and Entourage but it sounded like it was only partitally working at the moment. Thank you My understanding is that RPC over HTTP is only supported with Outlook 2003. Your best option would be OWA 2003 for the Mac. -- John Oliver, Jr. MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP Microsoft Certified Partner "Goober Head" <GooberHead@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6E0D3095-2284-4F7C-843A-59D6E7602F51@microsoft.com... > Are there any ...

Scanned slides from wrong side
Hello, I have scanned a lot of 35mm colour slides and copied them into my pictures folder. I seem to have scanned some of them back to front, i.e. I have got a mirror image. Is there a way of reversing the mirror image ? in MS photo manager or do I nee to get some more specialised photo-editing software ? Thanks K KRK wrote: > Hello, > > I have scanned a lot of 35mm colour slides and copied them into my > pictures folder. I seem to have scanned some of them back to front, > i.e. I have got a mirror image. > > Is there a way of reversing the mi...

Win 2008 R2 File Server has "automatic" defrag every afternoon? NOT scheduled...
Hi all, I am getting an event log event 258 every afternoon at 2pm "Defrag analysis" on every drive on this W2K8 R2 box. The event is: "event 258" "The disk defragmenter successfully completed analysis on drivename (X:)" This is not the regular Defrag scheduled task, which I have set up to run on the weekends... This is a File Server and the time that this runs is in the afternoon when most users are runnig open files. I cannot find where to disable or reschedule this event. Does Anyone know about this? Thanks in advance! Hello ...

Looking of a publisher template for a pictorial staff directory -.
Need a template to put together a board of directors pictorial directory. I have a need to publish this for 30+ people directory quickly for distribution at this non-profit organization annual meeting. Any thoughts where I can find one? Thanks, Michael Input pictorial directory into Google, you may get some ideas. The government has one of all the congress. http://www.access.gpo.gov/congress/108_pictorial/ There is a product sample here that may help http://elson-alexandre.com/udpc/pages/samples-view.php?Pic=pictorial-02 -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer....

Remotely connect to SBS 2003
I'm a little new here. Trying to remotely connect to a SBS2003 server. However, the ISP uses DHCP to assign addresses so every 2 days the external IP changes. How can I connect to the server without asking someone at the office to give me the new external IP all the time? I've already assigned a static IP to the server in the range of 192.168.1.XXX and allowed port 3389 to that address in the router. I can connect fine when I have the correct external IP. Thanks in advance! R. Hi Remi: Welcome..... You should have a static IP address, or a dynamic to static t...

strip away the directory structure on file name
I can now import a file and store the file name into a cell. Thanks Dave. I get the directory structure too. "C:\My Documents\directory \file.hex". is there a way in a macro to strip away the directory structure and leave only "file.hex" Try something like this: Function GetFileName(strFullPath as String) GetFileName = Mid(strFullPath ,InStrRev(strFullPath ,"\")+1,255) End Function To test: In a sheet cell =GetFileName("C:\My Documents\directory\file.hex") returns: file.hex Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron XL2003, WinXP "a924fan...

delete file in addin directory
I wan't to retrieve the addin directory of a user in a network environment search if a specific file exists and Delete that specific file in that directory. What is the code for that? ...

DHCP on fresh 2008 install.
I have disabled the router DHCP. If I do ipconfig /all (after restarting it) on the server amongst the stuff is: DHCP Enabled = no. I have restarted a PC on the network (server has no PCs connected yet) and it seems to have a correct address 192.168 3 x. Is the DHCP server really off and is so how do I start it? Note I have only just loaded SBS2008 on the server so little config has been done. Slowly does it! -- happyhacker ------------------------------------------------------------------------ happyhacker's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/188993.htm View t...

HELP!!! How to Nest AND OR functions PART II
Ok, so here was my original problem: I am attempting to nest the and or functions. I would like the argument to state: IF C47 and D47 are negative... take the absolute value of g47/d47 IF C47 or D47 are negative.... take g47/c47+1 IF C47 and D47 are not negative... take g47/d47 Here is what i have written.... can someone please help?????? IT IS GIVING ME ERRORS =IF(AND(C47,0,d47<0),abs(g47/d47),OR(C47<0,D47<0),(G47/C47+1),(G47/D47)) --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- We were ab...

freezing OUTLOOK 2000 on SBS 2003
Hi, please could anybody help me ? In our company is installed OUTLOOK 2000. We using WINDOWS SBS 2003 SERVER. Sometimes when somebody close OUTLOOK then, on the desktop stay small window with logo OUTLOOK and text "Please wait while aplication MICROSOFT OUTLOOK finishing". So when i want end this windows i must kill this process thru taskmanager. Any idea why ? PS: Event LOG on SERVER seems clear. Thanks so much, Adrian Banyacski Are there any add ins, COMs, fax software or other software that are running and might keep Outlook open? -- Kathleen Orland Blessed are the cra...