SBS 2003 R2 & Virtual PC

Can anyone advise?

I have client that uses sbs and finds the VPN link too slow - Therefore he
uses RD to the server and works on that as though it was a workstation  (Not
good I know but we are only talking about a very small firm with 5 Users)
Problem is he cant get his email as I will not let him load outlook onto
server.
I was going to look at having a virtual PC running on server so he can RD to
server then run the Virtual XP PC from their - Thus running outlook.

Is this best way and if so should I use Virtual PC 2007 or something else?

THANKS

MARK

Best is to get a basic workstation and let him RWW to it.

He can use OWA on the server if you continue with that risk. What work
would he be doing on the server? Did you load the rest of Office on
it?

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 06:40:03 -0700, mark-docendo
<markdocendo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Can anyone advise?
>
>I have client that uses sbs and finds the VPN link too slow - Therefore he
>uses RD to the server and works on that as though it was a workstation  (Not
>good I know but we are only talking about a very small firm with 5 Users)
>Problem is he cant get his email as I will not let him load outlook onto
>server.
>I was going to look at having a virtual PC running on server so he can RD to
>server then run the Virtual XP PC from their - Thus running outlook.
>
>Is this best way and if so should I use Virtual PC 2007 or something else?
>
>Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
>THANKS
>
>MARK
See what SBS support is working on
http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/default.aspx
Check your SBS with the SBS Best Practices Analyzer
http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/tags/BPA/default.aspx
0
Jim
4/15/2010 2:04:19 PM
The number of users in the firm has nothing to do with using THE ONLY domain
controller as a workstation.  If it crashes or is otherwise screwed up by
the user (who must have domain admin permissions on the SBS server for
remote access), productivity for the entire enterprise will be lost until
the problem is corrected.

That said, buying a cheap workstation with MS Office Basic and then
employing RWW would be the best solution.

If you must continue with the current setup, set up the remote user with OWA
or Outlook Anywhere for email.

VPC on SBS 2003 is possible but it may cause a significant performance hit.
And then there's the cost of the XP license.  You'll need either a retail or
Volume license for XP Pro which can be expensive in itself.  May not be much
more to buy a cheap desktop computer with MS Office Basic and OEM XP (or use
downgrade rights from Win7 Pro/Ultimate to XP Pro).  You could even run this
headless, so a monitor would not be needed.

--
Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
============================
"mark-docendo" <markdocendo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone advise?
>
> I have client that uses sbs and finds the VPN link too slow - Therefore he
> uses RD to the server and works on that as though it was a workstation
> (Not
> good I know but we are only talking about a very small firm with 5 Users)
> Problem is he cant get his email as I will not let him load outlook onto
> server.
> I was going to look at having a virtual PC running on server so he can RD
> server then run the Virtual XP PC from their - Thus running outlook.
>
> Is this best way and if so should I use Virtual PC 2007 or something else?

> THANKS
>
> MARK

0
Merv
4/15/2010 2:28:05 PM
Hi Mark,

> I have client that uses sbs and finds the VPN link too slow - Therefore he
> uses RD to the server and works on that as though it was a workstation
> (Not
> good I know but we are only talking about a very small firm with 5 Users)
> Problem is he cant get his email as I will not let him load outlook onto
> server.
> I was going to look at having a virtual PC running on server so he can RD
> server then run the Virtual XP PC from their - Thus running outlook.
>
> Is this best way and if so should I use Virtual PC 2007 or something else?

not recommended with Virtual PC, but with the following solution AND enough
RAM+IOPS left for the additional virtual maschine:

Installing Virtual Server 2005 R2 on Windows Small Business Server 2003 with
SP1
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8E1B8271-17A0-4F3A-A379-19ECF37D4229

--
Tobias Redelberger
StarNET Services (HomeOffice)

0
Tobias
4/15/2010 3:31:43 PM
Mark,

I have a customer with SBS2003 R2 using this type of setup. 3 Guys, only
ever one in the office so there is one desktop and 2 Virtual XP boxes
living on the server via virtual server 2005. It's been running fine for
  almost 2 years now. I over spec'd the processor and put in the max 4gb
of ram.
If you are going to do it use irtual server as that way it can be told
to start the virtual machines after a reboot.
Join the virtual PCs to the domain as normal then they will just appear
as available PCs on RWW and keep him off the server.
Simon

mark-docendo wrote:
> Can anyone advise?
>
> I have client that uses sbs and finds the VPN link too slow - Therefore he
> uses RD to the server and works on that as though it was a workstation  (Not
> good I know but we are only talking about a very small firm with 5 Users)
> Problem is he cant get his email as I will not let him load outlook onto
> server.
> I was going to look at having a virtual PC running on server so he can RD to
> server then run the Virtual XP PC from their - Thus running outlook.
>
> Is this best way and if so should I use Virtual PC 2007 or something else?

> THANKS
>
> MARK
0
Simon
4/15/2010 6:55:16 PM
It can work :-).

Allthough I wouldn't condone using the server as a workstation - OWA works
fine ;-).

Les Connor [SBS MVP]

"Simon" <simon@boolean-it.co.uk-remove.co.uk> wrote in message
> Mark,
>
> I have a customer with SBS2003 R2 using this type of setup. 3 Guys, only
> ever one in the office so there is one desktop and 2 Virtual XP boxes
> living on the server via virtual server 2005. It's been running fine for
> almost 2 years now. I over spec'd the processor and put in the max 4gb of
> ram.
> If you are going to do it use irtual server as that way it can be told to
> start the virtual machines after a reboot.
> Join the virtual PCs to the domain as normal then they will just appear as
> available PCs on RWW and keep him off the server.
> Simon
>
> mark-docendo wrote:
>> Can anyone advise?
>>
>> I have client that uses sbs and finds the VPN link too slow - Therefore
>> he uses RD to the server and works on that as though it was a workstation
>> (Not good I know but we are only talking about a very small firm with 5
>> Users)
>> Problem is he cant get his email as I will not let him load outlook onto
>> server.
>> I was going to look at having a virtual PC running on server so he can RD
>> to server then run the Virtual XP PC from their - Thus running outlook.
>>
>> Is this best way and if so should I use Virtual PC 2007 or something
>> else?
>>
>> Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> THANKS
>>
>> MARK

0
Les
4/15/2010 7:32:10 PM
Thanks Guys

For some reason ive only just been able to see these awnsers - They simply
werent displayed until now!!!

Mark

"Les Connor [SBS MVP]" wrote:

> It can work :-).
>
> Allthough I wouldn't condone using the server as a workstation - OWA works
> fine ;-).

> Les Connor [SBS MVP]
>
> "Simon" <simon@boolean-it.co.uk-remove.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Mark,
> >
> > I have a customer with SBS2003 R2 using this type of setup. 3 Guys, only
> > ever one in the office so there is one desktop and 2 Virtual XP boxes
> > living on the server via virtual server 2005. It's been running fine for
> > almost 2 years now. I over spec'd the processor and put in the max 4gb of
> > ram.
> > If you are going to do it use irtual server as that way it can be told to
> > start the virtual machines after a reboot.
> > Join the virtual PCs to the domain as normal then they will just appear as
> > available PCs on RWW and keep him off the server.
> > Simon
> >
> > mark-docendo wrote:
> >> Can anyone advise?
> >>
> >> I have client that uses sbs and finds the VPN link too slow - Therefore
> >> he uses RD to the server and works on that as though it was a workstation
> >> (Not good I know but we are only talking about a very small firm with 5
> >> Users)
> >> Problem is he cant get his email as I will not let him load outlook onto
> >> server.
> >> I was going to look at having a virtual PC running on server so he can RD
> >> to server then run the Virtual XP PC from their - Thus running outlook.
> >>
> >> Is this best way and if so should I use Virtual PC 2007 or something
> >> else?
> >>
> >> Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
> >>
> >> THANKS
> >>
> >> MARK
>
> .

Money 2003 download desktop icons
Yes, I have a suggestion. Simply delete them and stop whining!!!! ...

Outlook 2003
Outlook 2003 Exchange 2003 Only with some users (maybe 10%), when they receive an email image within message body, it gives the dreaded red x. Troubleshooting: I have checked the setting Tools>Options>Security>Change Automatic Download Settings - all okay Recreated a new mail profile - still red X Changed "userprofile.prf" file to old. I have mixed results with this, it resolves the issue fro some, but not others. Changed Roamingprofile to .old - again mixed results Pictures come through fine in OWA, so I don' think it's to do with exchange, I think it's pr...

Working with Both Excel 2003 and 2007
I'm in the middle of transitioning from 2003 to 2007 (half company on each version) How do you set it so that Excel 2007 in the primary excel...ie when openning a file from it automatically defaults to 2007 insted of 2003 Can this be done? Thanks -- Helping Is always a good thing Hi, I have E2003, E2007 & E2010 on the same machine and as I've added new versions the latest version has become the 'default' version. Are you saying this isn't happening? -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduc...

exchange 2003 startup
i installed the exchage 2003 in windows 2003 server . nut when i connected to my server . when i browse than following id will com ...

Outlook 2003 stuck in cached-mode?
Hello, We have one user who has a number of mailboxes on the same Exchange 2000 server and a corresponding number of Outlook profiles on their desktop PC. Although cached-mode is not enabled, Outlook is behaving as if it is. Also, the "Disable offline use" on the Advanced tab is grayed out. The problem is that its retrieving some message properties from the local cache (eg. message id) and these are different in cached-mode to what's stored on the server. The user only activated cached-mode once on the PC - and then for only one of the profiles - and has since disabled it. Ca...

Outlook 2003--Read and Unread Messages
When new messages arrive in Outlook the subject is in bold, meaning it is unread. After I read it the subject line changes from bold to regular type. BUT, sometimes after I read a message it stays bold, and even if I right-button click and select "mark as read" it stays bold. Any idea what's going wrong? TIA. John what type of email acct? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: daily...

Office Student & teacher edition 2003
Had this installed on desktop which crashed. Cannot install on new laptop as have lost disk. Have my CD case and product key. What can I do? I'm not sure if Microsoft will off a low cost replacement for that edition but it's worth the toll-free phone call. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246 -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "gorgonzolaSA" <gorgonzolaSA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5EA31672-977C-47F7-A7B3-6E4CD4A10C4F@microsoft.com... > Had this...

WSUS fails to install at 0400 and 2200 daily on sbs 2003
event 364 at 04:10 AM or at 22:00 PM daily Content file download failed. Reason: The destination file system volume is not available. Verify that another program, such as CheckDisk, is not running, which would lock the volume. When the volume is available, Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) will try again. ---- How do Iverify that download succeded at a later point in time? File name seem random. ...

Pivot Tables
....On one spreadsheet, I'm collating raw data each month about members of staff who use our company eLearning portal: name, subject, time spent. I've then created a Pivot Table on another sheet which fits the bill, except in one respect. I've added a comment in the employee name cell if they pass the course. When I refresh the Pivot Table monthly, it isn't in A-Z order (i.e. new employees are added to the bottom). If I re-sort using the A-Z button, any comments remain absolute instead of moving relatively with the employee name. Any way round this or am I updating the P...

VSS troubles on SBS 2008 with backup built-in tool
Hi all, I have an issue on Windows SBS 2008 Premium edition. The backup is not working with the windows built-in tool. I receive error messages on eventviewer when the backup starts like that one: "A Volume Shadow Copy Service operation failed. Unknown error (0x800423f4)" I've already checked on other forums for this error message but unfortunately no solution really fixed it. I found a procedure that fix the problem temporary until the server restarts. Here it is: net stop "System Event Notification Service" net stop "COM+ Event System&qu...

Outlook 2003 x IE 7
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_004C_01C707DC.59CDD650 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi People, after I installed the IE 7, my messages in Outlook with has links or = images don=B4t print the header anymore!=20 I need it and I don=B4t know what is happen? somebody help me pls!!!!!! ------=_NextPart_000_004C_01C707DC.59CDD650 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transit...

Outlook 2007 gets "Cannot connect to exchange" server down message but 2003 is fine
We just migrated from Exchange 2003 to 2007. Both the 03 and the new 07 server are still running side by side while public folder replication occurs. The 03 exchange server is also our terminal services computer. I upgraded Outlook to 2007 on the 03/terminal services machine. All users except 2 had no problems on first log in. 2 users though simply cannot connect to exchange. All I get is a generic "unable to connect to exchange" error message when opening outlook. Setting of the account automaticly fails or propets for credentials which fails. I have restarted the server and...

Exchange 2003 Mailbox Manager
I was curious if there is a way to have the Mailbox Manager clear messages after a certain age, similar to what we did with Exchange 5.5. We currently delete messages that are older than 45 days on our 5.5 server and would like to do the same on 2003. I am able to have the mailbox size retention, but not date retention. On Sat, 28 May 2005 23:02:01 -0700, "Mario Colon" <Mario Colon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I was curious if there is a way to have the Mailbox Manager clear messages >after a certain age, similar to what we did with Exchange 5.5. We curren...

Increasing file size from excel 2003 to excel 2007
Some users of ours have noticed that saving Excel 2003 files in Excel 2007 caused them to increase in size ans also get corrupted. Has any one else noticed this? ...

Distribution Lists in Exchange 2003/Outlook 2003
What is the maximum number of entries you can put in a Distribution list in the global address list. IIRC, the limit on values in multivalued attributes like the "member" attribute was 5000 in Windows 2000 AD, and most likely this has changed with AD 2003. If your Distribution Groups grow to such sizes, it's a better idea to start nesting them. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "sawdust" <michael@mepayne.com> wrote in message news:1143584659.020778.97400@t31g2000cwb.googlegroup...

To MS: bug report for Outlook 2003
Hello, I did not find any website to submit a bug report, so I use this newsgroup. Outlook 2003, german, all updates applied (22 july 05) Problems with rules: I have about 15 email accounts defined and about 30 rules. When I create a rule to move received email to an other folder, and when using 'Emails received on this account' this is not working problerly: For some rules the wrong account is used. When I edit the rule in the list a wrong account is displayed (and is used for the rule) but when I click to change the account, the correct account is dispalyed. I have imported 30...

Problem on junk mail list for Outlook 2003
Dear All My outlook 2003 is connected to MS exchange 2003 server, In past, I will add some email address to junk e-mail list using web browser, but now I cannot add in junk e-mail list use web browser now, it show "Unable to add the list, The maximum size for the list is 1024 entries" or " A error occured procured your Junk mail lists, You are over the size limited on the server". But If I add the email address to junk e-mail list using MS outlook 2003, the list can can update to web-base now, How can I solve this problem Rgds Alan OWA supports fewer than Outloo...

Office 2003/XP/2000 to be converted to 97
I created add-ins (Excel & PowerPoint) for Office 97/2000/XP/2003. Each client may have different machines with different Office versions. If a user has Office 2003 and wants to give the Excel Workbook or Power Point Presentation to a user with office 2000, do I have to use the following command ? activeworkbook.saveas "C:\aa.xls", xls9795 (I don't remember exactly the parameter) I noticed that by saving it like this, especially the presentations, their size becomes 3/4 times more (from 4MB it becomes 12MB). What are your suggestions ? "Save As" changes the file...

why is the queue so backed up on exchg 2003
when i look at the queue in exchang 2003 it appears to be backed up. with stuff Puff N Stuff? On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 17:56:41 -0400, "James" <jgrace@digitelusa.net> wrote: >when i look at the queue in exchang 2003 it appears to be backed up. with >stuff > ...

Outlook 2003 shuts itself down...
HELP, please. I have installed, removed and reinstalled Office 2003 because of the following problem with Outlook 2003: When I start Outlook up for the first time - everything is AOK. After I <file><exit> the program and start it up again - the program initializes OK and then shuts itself down automatically. I can't find the answer anywhere and would appreciate any and all thoughts. ...

Outlook 2003 contacts phone dialer
my outlook phone dialer don't work. I can hear the modem dialing, it connects properly the external phone ,rings but there is no sound (voice) to be heard or send. anyone has an idea what to do? HHMTHAI Why do you say it doesn't work? That's what the windows dialer does. It dials the number. It does not operate a voice modem. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "HHMTHAI" <HHMTHAI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F7FAE118-DBEA-4BE1-9CC1-143C2F06E851@microsoft.com... > my outlook phone dialer don't work. I can hear the modem dialing, it >...

Re: CRM 1.2 on SBS 2003 fails
For what it's worth, I just discovered that the client did purchase SA with the product-- that may help a lot. I submitted an online support request. "Andrew M. Saucci, Jr." <spam-only@2000computer.com> wrote in message news:... > I am having a bear of a time getting CRM 1.2 installed on SBS > 2003. I have Chapter 15 from the deployment guide and printed and followed > the instructions slowly and carefully. The client purchased one license for > the program. The first installation went fine until I added the one user and > assigned the li...

Outlook 2003 rules
I had an email address - fname_lname@domain.com. My company got a new domain name, so now my email address is fnamelname@domain2.net. I will forever get emails to both addresses. I want all emails sent to fname_lname@domain.com to go to a specific folder. I've tried creating a rule manually, I've tried right clicking on the specific email and creating the rule from there. I've tried importing the rule from 2002. (The rule works just fine in 2002!) I'm unable to get it working. Anyone have any ideas? Create a rule that looks for the old e-mail address in the Interne...

virtual adapter driver
I am looking for a solution where I can run an application on my PC which can receive ethernet frames. To the PC is must look as if the application is located on a different machine. This application has its own IP stack and a small ethernet layer. So what I think that need sto be done is this : - install some kind of virtual adapter which needs to be configured with an ip address. This virtual adapter should be visible with ipconfig. And the ip configuration will be done manually. Say for instance I configure it with a dummy ip@ 200.200.200.200/24. The ip@ of my application (with its own stac...

What are the Hotmail Options in Outlook 2003?
I have a Win XP box with Office 2003. I use Outlook Connector to pull Hotmail into my Desktop. I tried the POP3 settings that MS recently posted, but that's a mess! It just combines my Hughes and Hotmail messages into one Inbox. I reverted to the normal MAPI account settings, and everything works fine. Will I be able to continue using Outlook Connector after September 1st, or will I be forced to look for another solution? Meshed POP3 accounts is not an option. I did consider moving to Windows Live Mail (Desktop) for all needs, because that program keeps the accounts separate ...