SBS 2003 migration to Server 2008 STD

Hi.

We are at the limit of 75 Users and want to Migrate away from our old SBS
2003 Server to two new 2008 STD Server (one for Exchange 2010)

I have looked for infos how to do that correctly but i could not find any
good basis to start with.

Someone already accomplished that task?

I recommend Server 2008 R2 over 2008. If you use Server 2008 make sure you
have SP2 or better installed before you try to install Exchange 2010.

I have done it. It was fairly straightforward. That said it was not easy.
There is a lot of conflicting information on the web. The basic procedure
is: Bring up a Server 2008 R2 domain controller. Leave it a few days to make
sure replication is working and AD is healthy. It's very important that AD
is very healthy before you move on from here. Fix all problems flagged by
the SBS BPA. Make sure both servers and Exchange 2003 are up to date with
updates and service packs. Run dcdiag against both DC's and make sure there
are no problems. Make sure there are no errors in the event logs of either
DC. Bring up the Exchange 2010 server and install Exchange 2010. Migrate
from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010. Uninstall Exchange 2003 on the SBS
server. Demote the SBS server and remove it from the domain. The SBS 2003 to
SBS 2008 migration papers will help a lot. Read through the following links
and make sure you understand them before proceeding. Make a checklist before
starting. Expect that you will miss something on the checklist. Go slow,
watching the install and event logs along the way. The biggest problem I had
was figuring out how to request then import a certificate in Exchange 2010.
I highly recommend you purchase the needed certificate rather than use a
self signed certificate.

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=52b7ea63-78af-4a96-811e-284f5c1de13b&displaylang=en>

<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/exdeploy2010/default.aspx#Home>

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=88b304e7-9912-4cb0-8ead-7479dab1abf2&displaylang=en>

<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124558.aspx>

<http://www.petenetlive.com/KB/Article/0000234.htm>

You could save yourself a lot of grief and use http://www.sbsmigration.com/
They support this migration. If I was doing this again I'd use them even
though I've already done one migration myself. I had many false steps. Never
had to roll back but that was a distinct possibility a couple of times
during the migration. The migration took me almost a month of research then
trial and error. By their method it could have been done over a weekend. I
was migrating my own Exchange server. If it would have been a customer's
server I would not hesitate to use sbsmigration.com. It would be hard to
make any money by the trial and error method. It probably took me 25 hours
of actual work sitting in front of a computer that way.

Do you use other features of SBS 2003 like RWW and SharePoint? You will lose
those features so if you use them you will have to figure out how to migrate
SharePoint to SharePoint 2010 and an alternative for RWW like TS Gateway.

<http://sharepoint.microsoft.com/en-us/resources/Pages/IT-Pro-Training-Guide.aspx>

<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731264(WS.10).aspx>

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

"Patrick" <Patrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> We are at the limit of 75 Users and want to Migrate away from our old SBS
> 2003 Server to two new 2008 STD Server (one for Exchange 2010)
>
> I have looked for infos how to do that correctly but i could not find any
> good basis to start with.
>
> Someone already accomplished that task?

0
Kerry

Junk Mail in Outlook 2003
Is there not an option to have the Junk Mail folder emptied when you close Outlook 2003 on my Win XP Pro PC? No, you will have to manually empty it. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer Ivan Williams <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> asked: | Is there not an option to have the Junk Mail folder | emptied when you close Outlook 2003 on my Win XP Pro PC? ...

System Tray icon in Outlook 2003
It looks cluttered, and I don't like it or need it. Despite trying, I a completely unable to remove this icon. Is it possible? TI -- djcasele ----------------------------------------------------------------------- djcaseley's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=273 View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-187089748 Uncheck "Hide when Minimized" -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "djcaseley" <djcaseley.1s7fwi@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message news:djcaseley.1s7fwi@no-mx.msusenet.com... > > It looks cluttered, and I don't lik...

How to manual complete remove Office 2008 beta version?
I have installed Office 2008 beta perivously. <br> Now I got the Final version of Office 2008 student version. Before I install, I did an Stupid thing: Direct drop the beta 2008 into the trush! <br> Then when I try to install the final version, I just got the "Cannot find software" error. Beacuse it still think I have 2008 installed and want to upgrade it! So I wanna know how can I complete remove the 2008 beta's info from the Mac and could have a fresh install? toro <> wrote: > I have installed Office 2008 beta perivously. <br> Now I got the Final &g...

Analysis Cubes Add In for Excel 2003 with GP Data
All: I posted this to one of the Excel forums as well, but thought the GP group may know something about this. I am using the Analysis Cubes add-in for Excel 2003 to build out a dashboard, so this is a free-form report. Problem1: I can place dimensions into the report, but, if I refresh the report data or connection, the field value in the field where the dimension is located goes blank. Anyone seen this? Problem2: On the sheet I have one page filter on Week End Date (=cubecellmember("GL-FINAC01", "Cal Week End".All Cal Week End.01 Jan 2007")). What I want...

Can Recovery Storage Groups be used if original server gone?
We had an Exchange server die on us a few months back due to hardware issues. All accounts were moved to another box and that one was flattened and taken out of the Exchange org. It was replaced by new hardware that does NOT have the storage groups or databases that the old one did. We have a request to recover data from an info store back up prior to the events above and are running into problems with our backup vendor. Would it be possible to use a Recovery Storage Group to retrieve this data? The mailbox still exists (but may have been moved via Exmerge) so I believe I will pas...

Can I determine which version of Exchange Server from Outlook?
Hi, Can I deteremine which version of Exchange Server my Outlook account goes through from within my Outlook application? Thanks, Peter No. You can do this from checking headers of mail sent to your Internet account, but not from mail sent within the same Exchange organization. Send yourself a piece of email to your home account and check there. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, sduraybito@go.com asked: | Hi,...

OUTLOOK 2003 & sending error
It seems that my Outlook 2003 (standard edition) is trying to send a Return reciept from a google mail account, but it never goes thru. I've tried to find this return reciept in the outbox but there's nothing there. Anyone know of a way to correct this situation? -- "There Are No Stupid Questions.... ,,,just un-informed people attempting to make informed decisions" The Lurch <lurchkida@bellsouth.net> wrote: > It seems that my Outlook 2003 (standard edition) is trying to send a > Return reciept from a google mail account, but it nev...

Install error data migration manager
Hi, It seems like the data migration manager cannot be installed on windows server 2008. When I select the program destination folder, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics CRM Data Migration Manager" I get an error "The path is not of a legal form" and can not continue the installation. Can anyone give me some assistance? Hi; The credit for this goes to someone else, as I found it buried in a newsgroup, but it did help me get past your error a few weeks ago: See below. Dave Ireland I managed to sort this out, so hope this will help someone in future. As ...

Import XHTML into Word 2003
Hi, I hope someone can help out on this or sheering me to the right direction. We are currently develop a c# application that will automatically generate Word Doc. The application will pull data from database and then through Tidy format the data into VALID XHTML. And then, we take the XHTML, parse it, then using Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word to generate the word doc on the fly. So our problem is that, the algorithm we use the parse the data is not correct, and the program may crashed if it parsing not correctly (it get into an infinite loop). We are trying to finding a better solutio...

Exchange 2003 support Instant Messaging?
Ive been looking around and from what I can see is that to get IM functionality in Exchange 2oo3 we would have to get Office Live Communications server? Is this functionality not built into Exchange, getting entirely new licenses for IM seems rediculous to me. No, this was part of Exchange Server 2000, but removed from Exchange 2003. LCS replaced the functionality, and is a more full-featured product. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ne...

Money 2003 won't install
Haven't seen anything like this yet so here goes. Been running M2003 for a year, no problems. Upgraded computer and had all Microsoft software corrupted. (No one else) Have now formatted both drives, re-installed W98se, and tried to install Money 2003. Starts install process and quits. No error messages. Proper .MSI and SYSPack along with IE6 have been installed but haven't helped. Registry flushed between attempts. Same results with Project 2000 and Office 2000. No difficulties with any other software. Have upgraded to OpenOffice.org and a replacement for Project but I'd ...

Outlook 2003: Can't Open Item...
My Beta of Office 2003 was fine until it downloaded and installed an update. Now can't see a preview of the message and when I try to open it, I get: "Can't open this item. Out of memory or system resources. Close some windows or programs and try again." I have 512mb of ram, and 368mb or more is shown as available. It WILL show the message if I select it and click REPLY, but then it's displaying it in a reply Word editor and the links don't work well. I shouldn't have to do that to see any message. Yes, I have tried turning on READ MAIL USING WORD, ...

How to Call an SSIS package from SQL-server.
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0018_01CB0EFB.5851FF20 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello All, From a stored procedure I would like to call an SSIS package. I have two packages: 1. Does an FTP call to a legacy system to collect information and put = this in a local file as .csv. 2. Process a number of local .csv files, get the information in a import = table then process the import table. I have tried to use xp_cmdshell, from the same machine, the first SSIS = pac...

Converting emails from Windows Outlook 2003 to OS X Entourage
Guys Please if anyone can help me on how to do this PLEASE DO! You need to restate the question in the post. It gets truncated in the title. "Desperate!!" wrote: > Guys Please if anyone can help me on how to do this PLEASE DO! > ...

Re: Training in Office for Mac 2008
On 9/25/09 12:35 PM, in article 59b7d4c9.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Whidbey1@officeformac.com" <Whidbey1@officeformac.com> wrote: > I want to learn how to better use word for mac 2008. The new Business edition of Office 2008 that's out includes free lessons to tutorials on Lydia.com, you might check there. <http://www.lynda.com/> -- Diane ...

data access page error, OLE server isn't registered
I have a data access page that displays information in my access 2003 database. It has worked for 5 years or more but recently one computer I use stopped working. It still works on others. I thought I would overcome this by replaceing that PC but this new windows 7 PC with Office 2003 freshly installed and updated gives the same error. I think I have eleminated network and permissions issues as a copy of the database saved to the desktop of the new PC runs OK. However, if I try and make a new data access page it says "The OLE server isn't registered". Any ...

Saving to a Server Folder
I want to be able to set up a rule whereby I can cc: certain messages to a folder that resides outside of Outlook. I want to cc: the emssage to a folder on our server. You can't do this through the Rule Wizard. Is this at all possible? Thanks! ...

Windows 2008 Enterprize with 20 giga RAM, IIS see's only 4 Giga.
Hi Everyone, I had win 2008 standard (as Virtual Machine) and i wanted to increase the memmory to more than 4 giga RAM. I set the RAM to 20 Giga and did an upgrade from standard to enetreprise. Now, when i right click on "My compuer" i see the amont of RAM is 7.53 Giga, and if i open "Preformence" tab at "Task Manager" i see the total physical memmory is 3838 MB (Still 4 Giga RAM). How do i fix this? Tnx, Yaniv. Is your Windows 2008 installation 32 or 64 bits? (Remember, 32 bit is 4GB and then you have to use the /3gb switch in the boot.ini to see...

Outlook 2003 will not shut down
When I start Outlook for the first time after a re-boot all is well. Howeve r, although Outlook seems to shut down, when I attempt to start it agian, no thing. I open task manager and find that the first instance of Outlook is s till running as a process. Once I kill the first process, Outlook starts. Why does the Outlook process remain after a shutdown and how can I fix it. I have already tried a repair as well as removing and re-installing Outlook and also applied the newly released Office SP1. Thanks in advance! John Cleveland <jcleveland@urban-systems.com> wrote: > Why doe...

Version of Exchange Server + Spamfilter
I would like to find out which version of Exchange we are running. I tries to find it in the System Manager but I'm unsure where to look. I found something like: Version 6.0 Build 5762.4 Service Pack 2. What version does this belong to and are there any Spam-filters available for this version?? Txs Answat Hi Answat, You are running Exchange 2000 Service Pack 2, as for Anti-SPAM filters; unfortunately Microsoft Intelligent Message Filtering (IMF) is not available for Exchange 2000. But GFI have a freeware version of their Anti-SPAM product MailEssentials, have a look here: http:/...

Data Migration
Hi, I am looking for some best advice and tool on migrating data from MS Access to CRM. I.e. whether I should use CDF or Import on the MS CRM Tools menu. Access Tables: - Customers: Contain lookup tables i.e. drop down box to select the following: * State/Province * Country * Customer Type * Customre Subtype * Resellers * Subresellers - Contacts - Relationships: 1 customer to many contacts CRM Tables: - Account - Contacts The desired result for the CRM tables after the data migration process is being able to maintain the relationships i.e. 1 Account to many contacts (Is ...

outlook 2003: imap deleted and sent items
hi there - i am using imap with outlook 2003. i cant work out the following: 1. what is happening to my "deleted items"? I delete by pressing the delete key and was hoping to get the messages saved in the trash folder for storage and later view/search if necessary (like pop3 allows). however, they simply seem to disappear. I would like ti (i) retrieve those already "dissapeared" mails (ii) set up a system so that the deleted items will save to "trash" or elsewhere on pressing delete for later use/access 2 sent items - same problem really - i have i...

Access 2003 Question
How do I get the "statusbar text" to display in a form? It displays on the Status Bar when the control has the focus and the Status Bar is turned on. Where do you want to display the data on your form? dpee wrote: >How do I get the "statusbar text" to display in a form? -- RuralGuy (RG for short) aka Allan Bunch MS Access MVP - acXP WinXP Pro Please post back to this forum so all may benefit. Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200801/1 What is it you exactly want? You can place text in the description of...

Two Exchange 2003 servers in the same domain
I have two Exchange 2003 servers in the same domain: mail1.domain.com and mail2.domain.com. alice@domain.com mailbox is located on mail1, bob@domain.com mailbox is on mail2. If alice sends email to bob, bob never gets it. I can see email sitting in the queue and at some point alice gets undelivery report. How do I configure communication between exchange servers in this scenario? Alex Hi, The servers should find each one automatically. Did you configure smart-host on one of the SMTP virtuel servers - then this would cause the problem. Smart-hosts should always be configured on SMTP...

Using Exchange 2003 to host our own e-mail
We have SBS 2003 w/Exchange 2003 installed. We also have OWA working (all this was done by a third party). Is there a way (or place I can look this up?) to use Exchange to host our own e-mail (easily)? Carl, There as many tasks that need to be done to do what you ask. Although generally not hard it just need to be done in the correct order. Also it more than just SBS to make this happen. To give all the details here is beond the scope of newsgroups. I suggest using your favorit search engine. The SBS getting started docs also has the requirements. Hope this helps. "Carl Gross...