SBS 2003 deleting old users and mailboxes

Hi,
I'm looking for the proper procedure to remove a user account that is not in
use anymore (employee leaves the company, etc), and and e-mail account.  I
typically forward their e-mail to another employee for a while so that the
recipients learn that a partricular e-mail address isn't valid anymore, but I
likely should save the e-mail, but would like to archive it so it isn't
eating up space.  I typically just disable the users account and leave it
there, but I feel that I should clean it up after a while.  I wasn't sure if
there was a wizard to do this in 2003 or not.

Thanks,
Mike

------=_NextPart_000_0057_01CB0C98.3525E7B0

You just go to the SBS Console, Click on the user...you should see a =
link/icon to delete the user
You should archive mail before doing that.

--=20
Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)
Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed
http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/06723295=
73/ref=3Dpd_bbs_sr_1?ie=3DUTF8&s=3Dbooks&qid=3D1217269967&sr=3D8-1
Owner, CPU Services, Belleville, IL
A Microsoft Registered Partner
------------------------------------
MVPs do not work for Microsoft
Please do not submit questions directly to me.

  "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message =
  Hi,
  I'm looking for the proper procedure to remove a user account that is =
not in=20
  use anymore (employee leaves the company, etc), and and e-mail =
account.  I=20
  typically forward their e-mail to another employee for a while so that =
the=20
  recipients learn that a partricular e-mail address isn't valid =
anymore, but I=20
  likely should save the e-mail, but would like to archive it so it =
isn't=20
  eating up space.  I typically just disable the users account and leave =
it=20
  there, but I feel that I should clean it up after a while.  I wasn't =
sure if=20
  there was a wizard to do this in 2003 or not.

  Thanks,
  Mike
------=_NextPart_000_0057_01CB0C98.3525E7B0

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>You just go to the SBS Console, Click =
on the=20
user...you should see a link/icon to delete the user</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>You should archive mail before doing=20
that.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>-- <BR>Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)<BR>Co-Contributor, =
Windows=20
Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/=
0672329573/ref=3Dpd_bbs_sr_1?ie=3DUTF8&amp;s=3Dbooks&amp;qid=3D1217269967=
&amp;sr=3D8-1">http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleas=
hed/dp/0672329573/ref=3Dpd_bbs_sr_1?ie=3DUTF8&amp;s=3Dbooks&amp;qid=3D121=
7269967&amp;sr=3D8-1</A><BR>Owner,=20
CPU Services, Belleville, IL<BR>A Microsoft Registered=20
Partner<BR>------------------------------------<BR>MVPs do not work for=20
Microsoft<BR>Please do not submit questions directly to me.<BR></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>"Mike" &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:Mike@discussions.microsoft.com">Mike@discussions.microsoft=
..com</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:DFEA1B6F-72FF-4637-9584-7FC4D7B7E17B@microsoft.com">news:DFE=
A1B6F-72FF-4637-9584-7FC4D7B7E17B@microsoft.com</A>...</DIV>Hi,<BR>I'm=20
  looking for the proper procedure to remove a user account that is not =
in=20
  <BR>use anymore (employee leaves the company, etc), and and e-mail=20
  account.&nbsp; I <BR>typically forward their e-mail to another =
employee for a=20
  while so that the <BR>recipients learn that a partricular e-mail =
address isn't=20
  valid anymore, but I <BR>likely should save the e-mail, but would like =
to=20
  archive it so it isn't <BR>eating up space.&nbsp; I typically just =
disable the=20
  users account and leave it <BR>there, but I feel that I should clean =
it up=20
  after a while.&nbsp; I wasn't sure if <BR>there was a wizard to do =
this in=20
  2003 or not.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Mike</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0057_01CB0C98.3525E7B0--

0
Cris
6/15/2010 7:36:57 PM
Yes, and that deletes the Exchange mailbox as well.  Is there a way to
archive the e-mail either via ESM or some other means without enabling the
account, resetting the password, logging in to a computer, setting up
Outlook,then writing off to a .pst file, and doing that for each user account?

Mike

"Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]" wrote:

> You just go to the SBS Console, Click on the user...you should see a link/icon to delete the user
> You should archive mail before doing that.
>
> --
> Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)
> Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed
> http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/0672329573/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217269967&sr=8-1
> Owner, CPU Services, Belleville, IL
> A Microsoft Registered Partner
> ------------------------------------
> MVPs do not work for Microsoft
> Please do not submit questions directly to me.
>
>   "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DFEA1B6F-72FF-4637-9584-7FC4D7B7E17B@microsoft.com...
>   Hi,
>   I'm looking for the proper procedure to remove a user account that is not in
>   use anymore (employee leaves the company, etc), and and e-mail account.  I
>   typically forward their e-mail to another employee for a while so that the
>   recipients learn that a partricular e-mail address isn't valid anymore, but I
>   likely should save the e-mail, but would like to archive it so it isn't
>   eating up space.  I typically just disable the users account and leave it
>   there, but I feel that I should clean it up after a while.  I wasn't sure if
>   there was a wizard to do this in 2003 or not.
>
>   Thanks,
>   Mike

------=_NextPart_000_0089_01CB0CA0.F91D9FC0

exmerge

  Yes, and that deletes the Exchange mailbox as well.  Is there a way to =

  archive the e-mail either via ESM or some other means without enabling =
the=20
  account, resetting the password, logging in to a computer, setting up=20

  "Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]" wrote:

  > You just go to the SBS Console, Click on the user...you should see a =
link/icon to delete the user
  > You should archive mail before doing that.
  >=20
  > --=20
  > Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)
  > Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed
  > =
http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/06723295=
73/ref=3Dpd_bbs_sr_1?ie=3DUTF8&s=3Dbooks&qid=3D1217269967&sr=3D8-1
  > Owner, CPU Services, Belleville, IL
  > A Microsoft Registered Partner
  > ------------------------------------
  > MVPs do not work for Microsoft
  > Please do not submit questions directly to me.
  >=20
  >   "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message =
  >   Hi,
  >   I'm looking for the proper procedure to remove a user account that =
is not in=20
  >   use anymore (employee leaves the company, etc), and and e-mail =
account.  I=20
  >   typically forward their e-mail to another employee for a while so =
that the=20
  >   recipients learn that a partricular e-mail address isn't valid =
anymore, but I=20
  >   likely should save the e-mail, but would like to archive it so it =
isn't=20
  >   eating up space.  I typically just disable the users account and =
leave it=20
  >   there, but I feel that I should clean it up after a while.  I =
wasn't sure if=20
  >   there was a wizard to do this in 2003 or not.
  >=20
  >   Thanks,
  >   Mike
------=_NextPart_000_0089_01CB0CA0.F91D9FC0

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>exmerge</FONT></DIV>
[...]
  wrote in message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:BC8B6FDD-C57B-4C5F-887B-FCA76AB1027F@microsoft.com">news:BC8=
B6FDD-C57B-4C5F-887B-FCA76AB1027F@microsoft.com</A>...</DIV>Yes,=20
  and that deletes the Exchange mailbox as well.&nbsp; Is there a way to =

  <BR>archive the e-mail either via ESM or some other means without =
enabling the=20
  <BR>account, resetting the password, logging in to a computer, setting =
up=20
  <BR>Outlook,then writing off to a .pst file, and doing that for each =
user=20
  account?<BR><BR>Mike<BR><BR><BR>"Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]" =
wrote:<BR><BR>&gt;=20
  You just go to the SBS Console, Click on the user...you should see a =
link/icon=20
  to delete the user<BR>&gt; You should archive mail before doing =
that.<BR>&gt;=20
  <BR>&gt; -- <BR>&gt; Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)<BR>&gt;=20
  Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed<BR>&gt; =
<A=20
  =
href=3D"http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/=
0672329573/ref=3Dpd_bbs_sr_1?ie=3DUTF8&amp;s=3Dbooks&amp;qid=3D1217269967=
&amp;sr=3D8-1">http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleas=
hed/dp/0672329573/ref=3Dpd_bbs_sr_1?ie=3DUTF8&amp;s=3Dbooks&amp;qid=3D121=
7269967&amp;sr=3D8-1</A><BR>&gt;=20
  Owner, CPU Services, Belleville, IL<BR>&gt; A Microsoft Registered=20
  Partner<BR>&gt; ------------------------------------<BR>&gt; MVPs do =
not work=20
  for Microsoft<BR>&gt; Please do not submit questions directly to =
me.<BR>&gt;=20
  <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; "Mike" &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:Mike@discussions.microsoft.com">Mike@discussions.microsoft=
..com</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:DFEA1B6F-72FF-4637-9584-7FC4D7B7E17B@microsoft.com">news:DFE=
A1B6F-72FF-4637-9584-7FC4D7B7E17B@microsoft.com</A>...<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;=20
  Hi,<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm looking for the proper procedure to remove =
a user=20
  account that is not in <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; use anymore (employee =
leaves the=20
  company, etc), and and e-mail account.&nbsp; I <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
typically=20
  forward their e-mail to another employee for a while so that the=20
  <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; recipients learn that a partricular e-mail =
address isn't=20
  valid anymore, but I <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; likely should save the =
e-mail, but=20
  would like to archive it so it isn't <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; eating up=20
  space.&nbsp; I typically just disable the users account and leave it=20
  <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; there, but I feel that I should clean it up after =
a=20
  while.&nbsp; I wasn't sure if <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; there was a wizard =
to do=20
  this in 2003 or not.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
Thanks,<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
  Mike</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0089_01CB0CA0.F91D9FC0--

0
Cris

SBS 2003 and Email Not Receiving

Running Money 2003 in Vista

Monitor Server in 2003?

Outlook 2003
Just bought new PC. Everything is Microsoft. XP Home - Microsoft Works (came installed) - User like to use MSN for e-mail, Sent Microsoft $300.00 to activate Office that came installed on machine. Word will not allow MSN to be the e-mail client. System crashed and burned after activation of Office. Outlook 2003 seems a little unstable. Why would a new PC with Works, Office Express and Outlook 2003 be shipped? All these programs do the same thing and they don't seem to talk with each other well. On top of this all she wants to do is use Word and send the document through MSN nor...

Delete dead mailbox from active directory
We have four exchange servers - two E2K and two E2k3. One of the E2k server just died due to corrupt array control. We had no mailboxes or anything else on that server. One of our administrator must have created one mailbox on that server by mistake and he never realized that until now. server died and we deleted that mailbox from active directory but, when i try to remove the server from system manager i get message saying can't remove because there are mailboxes associated with this information store. Is there any other way i can remove that server from active directory or s...

How do you delete an Assembly Item?
I have an assembly item code, and I want to delete it to make it inactive. I cannot find any help on this, nor can I actually FIND the assembly item. Please help!! This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0461_01C6F844.55DE89B0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Nutribodies, You can't make an Assembly inactive as its not really an item, just a = reference to a group of items. You can delete it though. One way of finding items is by their Item type. Click on the Item Type = column header and th...

Access 97/2000/2003 comparisons

Can you delete Business Alerts?

users with restricted access

SBS 2003 moving of users files

Office 2007 forms

User unknown
I made a new user on the exchange server, but if i want to make the account in outlook, Outlook says: "the name could not be matched to a name in the adresslist" I don't know what to do anymore. All the rights are the same as my collegea. can somebody help me? Go back to AD where you created the account, preferably on the Exchange Server. Is there an email address listed? If there isn't then right click on the Recipient Update Service in ESM and click update now. Advise what happens then... >-----Original Message----- >I made a new user on the exchange server, b...

Exchange 2003 IMAP and Postini

Outlook 2003

Outlook 2003 rules question again

Creating Exchange 2003 organization

Remade Folders, Now Old Email Gone
I created a couple new profiles so I could separate my work and personal emails when I work from home. At the end of the process, when prompted by Outlook to remake my folders, I foolishly remade my folders. Now, all my old emails which were in my Inbox have gone missing. I searched for pab and pst files but they are not to be found. Any ideas will be most appreciated. Geoff You didn't even post your Outlook version or operating system. How are we supposed to help? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Geoff Robinson" <geoffr2@aol.com> wrote in message news:978b35e2.0406091...

Remove headers in Outlook 2003?
I have the weirdest problem, From certain people that send me e-maols, the entire header is shown, all the technical gobbleygook that I really don't need to see and it causes the message to be 1) long ans 2) hard to read through all the techno-stuff. Most people that send me e-mail, I just get the message, am wondering what I need to do? Am I missing a setting in Outlook "03? (For some backround info-actually have Office '07 but had to remove it and install Office '03 for a few weeks due to a technical issue on my part) Any help is appreciated, Jeff "Jeff"...

Using Publisher 200 with Publisher 2003