SBS 2003 Backup - changed from replace to append

Helo,

again a quicki one:

I have scheduled backup set to be written on external HDD, with
replace option so I have Small Business Server Backup.bkf, Small
Business Server Backup (2).bkf... and so on until external hard is
filled up, and then it shoul replace oldest .bkf...

I exchanged external hard (they are held in safe) with other, cleared
it, and now I have Small Business Server Backup.bkf growing on daily
basis, (some 15 GB per day), so it is in append mode?????

is there a optionswitch to add to command line to set it again to
replace mode?
0
Kerempuh
3/18/2010 11:27:42 AM
windows.server.sbs 1975 articles. 0 followers. Follow

5 Replies
746 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 57

Are you using the SBS 2003 Backup Wizard?  It sounds like the Wizard is set 
to 'include' the external drive in its backup routine, which would mean it 
will back up everything on the SBS server plus everything on the external 
drive.

Reformat or delete all current backups on the new external drive.  Then, 
with the new external drive attached, re-run the SBS 2003 Backup Wizard and 
exclude the drive letter of the external drive itself from the backup 
routine.

-- 
Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
============================

"Kerempuh" <kerempuhNE@SPAMAJgmail.com> wrote in message 
news:9534q5pl54qp6shfr2uksngkg7gns06lgs@4ax.com...
> Helo,
>
> again a quicki one:
>
> I have scheduled backup set to be written on external HDD, with
> replace option so I have Small Business Server Backup.bkf, Small
> Business Server Backup (2).bkf... and so on until external hard is
> filled up, and then it shoul replace oldest .bkf...
>
> I exchanged external hard (they are held in safe) with other, cleared
> it, and now I have Small Business Server Backup.bkf growing on daily
> basis, (some 15 GB per day), so it is in append mode?????
>
> is there a optionswitch to add to command line to set it again to
> replace mode? 

0
Merv
3/18/2010 12:02:17 PM
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 08:02:17 -0400, "Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]"
<mwport@no_spam_hotmail.com> wrote:

>Are you using the SBS 2003 Backup Wizard?  It sounds like the Wizard is set 
>to 'include' the external drive in its backup routine, which would mean it 
>will back up everything on the SBS server plus everything on the external 
>drive.
>
>Reformat or delete all current backups on the new external drive.  Then, 
>with the new external drive attached, re-run the SBS 2003 Backup Wizard and 
>exclude the drive letter of the external drive itself from the backup 
>routine.

nope, e: isn't set for backup....

before:

E:\
Small Business Server Backup.bkf
Small Business Server Backup(2).bkf
Small Business Server Backup(3).bkf
Small Business Server Backup(4).bkf

and 5th day it woul overwrite Small Business Server Backup.bkf, and so
on...


now:
E:\ holds just one Small Business Server Backup.bkf, and it is bigger
every day (like it adds just differences made from yesterday till
today)

I erased today Small Business Server Backup.bkf, and will wait till
tommorow to see what size it will be...


and, I would like to go back to situation before: every day new backup
file with increasing index
0
Kerempuh
3/18/2010 12:49:29 PM
Something must be wrong with your backup Job/Schedule

Open up Scheduled jobs
Find the backup job (DELETE IT)
Re run the backup Wizard
Exclude the Backup USB Drive (They call it a folder)
and then Finish the configuration wizard
it Should always have a 1 2 3 etc in the backup name

Russ

-- 
Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]
MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC
Microsoft Certified Small Business Specialist
Small Business Server/Computer Support - www.SBITS.Biz
Question or Second Opinion - www.PersonalITConsultant.com
BPOS - Microsoft Online Services - www.Microsoft-Online-Services.com


"Kerempuh" <kerempuhNE@SPAMAJgmail.com> wrote in message 
news:8184q5ht32287tlnju75lcavs1m00eeded@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 08:02:17 -0400, "Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]"
> <mwport@no_spam_hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Are you using the SBS 2003 Backup Wizard?  It sounds like the Wizard is 
>>set
>>to 'include' the external drive in its backup routine, which would mean it
>>will back up everything on the SBS server plus everything on the external
>>drive.
>>
>>Reformat or delete all current backups on the new external drive.  Then,
>>with the new external drive attached, re-run the SBS 2003 Backup Wizard 
>>and
>>exclude the drive letter of the external drive itself from the backup
>>routine.
>
> nope, e: isn't set for backup....
>
> before:
>
> E:\
> Small Business Server Backup.bkf
> Small Business Server Backup(2).bkf
> Small Business Server Backup(3).bkf
> Small Business Server Backup(4).bkf
>
> and 5th day it woul overwrite Small Business Server Backup.bkf, and so
> on...
>
>
> now:
> E:\ holds just one Small Business Server Backup.bkf, and it is bigger
> every day (like it adds just differences made from yesterday till
> today)
>
> I erased today Small Business Server Backup.bkf, and will wait till
> tommorow to see what size it will be...
>
>
> and, I would like to go back to situation before: every day new backup
> file with increasing index 

0
Russ
3/18/2010 5:28:17 PM
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 12:27:42 +0100, Kerempuh
<kerempuhNE@SPAMAJgmail.com> wrote:

>Helo,
>
>again a quicki one:
>
>I have scheduled backup set to be written on external HDD, with
>replace option so I have Small Business Server Backup.bkf, Small
>Business Server Backup (2).bkf... and so on until external hard is
>filled up, and then it shoul replace oldest .bkf...
>
>I exchanged external hard (they are held in safe) with other, cleared
>it, and now I have Small Business Server Backup.bkf growing on daily
>basis, (some 15 GB per day), so it is in append mode?????
>
>is there a optionswitch to add to command line to set it again to
>replace mode?

well, seems software is workin as modern hardware - when in trouble -
put new part/module... ;-)

Will do that, delete old job, recreate new...

Thank you all...
0
Kerempuh
3/22/2010 10:23:21 AM
you should be able to start the SBS Backup now and see if it puts the number 
near the backup job?
Does it
Russ

-- 
Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]
MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC
Small Business Server/Computer Support - www.SBITS.Biz
Question or Second Opinion - www.PersonalITConsultant.com
BPOS - Microsoft Online Services - www.Microsoft-Online-Services.com
Twitter http://www.twitter.com/SBITSdotBiz

"Kerempuh" <kerempuhNE@SPAMAJgmail.com> wrote in message 
news:16heq5pr511alme4smps7c24kikoqi8gt4@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 12:27:42 +0100, Kerempuh
> <kerempuhNE@SPAMAJgmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Helo,
>>
>>again a quicki one:
>>
>>I have scheduled backup set to be written on external HDD, with
>>replace option so I have Small Business Server Backup.bkf, Small
>>Business Server Backup (2).bkf... and so on until external hard is
>>filled up, and then it shoul replace oldest .bkf...
>>
>>I exchanged external hard (they are held in safe) with other, cleared
>>it, and now I have Small Business Server Backup.bkf growing on daily
>>basis, (some 15 GB per day), so it is in append mode?????
>>
>>is there a optionswitch to add to command line to set it again to
>>replace mode?
>
> well, seems software is workin as modern hardware - when in trouble -
> put new part/module... ;-)
>
> Will do that, delete old job, recreate new...
>
> Thank you all... 

0
Russ
3/22/2010 11:18:03 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

I want to unlock my word doc to make changes its protected
I am writing a word document the other night. I went to carry on with it tonight but found it has protected the document and won't let me continue writing or editing Word 2007? Assuming that you have activated Office, it seems your trial version of the application has expired. Time to pay the piper! -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> ...

Outlook 2003 News
I am trying to setup the news reader in Outlook 2003. I follow the directions but it won't stick when I drag news to go menu. Any ideas? To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel | Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch it, clear the "Always perform this check..." box and then click the No button. You may need to reset the Menu Bar and/or restart Outlook and/or reboot your machine in order to complete the process. Not everyone is repor...

Changing SQL Server for CRM 1.2
As my SQL server is currently on its last breath I am in the process of moving our CRM 1.2 databases to a new dedicated serever. I have detatched the databases from the old server, copied the files to the server and attached them. I have then gone into CRM deployment manager and changed to the SQL server to the new server. That all appears to work fine, no error messages. But when users try to access the CRM system they get an error and the CRM server event log fills with error messages. A few are listed below: dmLog: Failed to execute the SQL batch in the file sqlbatch.sql. MSCRM P...

Territory Change
Our Sales VP has restructured all of the geographical territories that we had set up in Microsoft CRM. Our many thousands of Accounts are associated with territories. Obviously it is ludicrous to think that we would have to go one by one and change the territory on each account to the new territories. However, I have heard that there are strict rules for making changes directly to the backend SQL database. If we develop a SQL statement to change the territories assigned to each account to the new territories, are we going to be breaking anything? We don't want to screw up any de...

chart MAcro to change on activecell
Here is the macro below.. The only problem is that the columns change every month. so range (columns)keeps widening.... I have sorted it by selecting range upto column N. so it is provided for all 12 months. But now the "Grand total" column which is always the last column also gets included..(.which shouldnt be included in the range for the chart) Is there a way to modify this macro ? Sub updatechart1() Dim ThechartObj As ChartObject Dim Thechart As Chart Dim Userrow As Long Dim CatTitles As Range Dim SrcRange As Range Dim SourceData As Range If Sheets("summary").Ch...

Outlook 2003 #79
I nhave recently purchased Office Professional 2003. When using Outlook the send / receive function sometimes does not work and I need to log off the computer and log back on. All configurations are standard and the email servers have been verified by the ISP. Does anyone else have problems with the stability of Outlook 2003? ...

Help Required
Hi, Whenever I open Outlook 2003, I am getting a dialog box which displays the following message: Microsoft Office Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience When I click Debug it displays a message box with the following error message "The instruction at "0x3007e993" referenced memory at "0x0000000:. The memory could not be read" When I click No it Visual Studio JIT debugger pops up. I uninstalled and installed several times but still the problem persists. Is there any regsitry entry that I've to modify/delete? ...

Canadian Mergers 2003
I have Money 2003 which will not allow me to preform a stock merger in the Canadian format. Will upgrading to 2006 allow me to do this? In microsoft.public.money, giff42 wrote: >I have Money 2003 which will not allow me to preform a stock merger in the >Canadian format. Will upgrading to 2006 allow me to do this? Yes, with Deluxe there is a built-in function and above. It should be able to convert your Money 2003 file automatically. While there is not the built-in feature, here is how you could do it in Money 2003 Standard, do it if you did not hold both stocks involved in the merg...

Outlook 2003 with XP SP2
Hey guys, IS there an issue with outlook 2003 running on a XP machine with SP2. I am having connectivity problems. When I shut off the windows firewall, the outlook client connects. some help please. thanks, st I suggest that you add outlook2003 to the Windows Firewall exception list. Regards, -jack "stonefly" <shitij_T@hotmail.com> д����Ϣ����:OAoct1k5EHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Hey guys, > IS there an issue with outlook 2003 running on a XP machine with SP2. I > am having connectivity problems. When I shut off the windows firewall, the > outlo...

Filters in Excel 2003
I am using Filters in Excel 2003. Every cell in sheet B is linked to every cell in sheet A. That way I can alter data in B without corrupting the original data in A. I then highlight the cells in B that I want to assign a filter to and select Advanced Filter. I have no criteria so I do not set that. I click OK. I then select Filter again and this time select Auto Filter. Drop down arrows appear at the top of my columns. Great, no problems so far, I then select from the drop down list the criteria that I want to filter. Again no problems, my list filters correctly. But once I have do...

HELP Recovering addresses and email from Outlook 2003
I had some serious driver issues that required re-installing XP from disc. I did use the backup option and have a backup of all the old data. And of course had to reinstall Office 2003. Will third party software restore my old email and addresses or am I out of luck?? Thanks for the help texraid wrote: > I had some serious driver issues that required re-installing XP from > disc. I did use the backup option and have a backup of all the old > data. And of course had to reinstall Office 2003. > > Will third party software restore my old email and addresses or am I > out of lu...

Need Help with Deleting Empty Paragraphs in Word 2003
I have written the code below to delete all empty paragraphs at the end of a document and then place the cursor at the end of the last paragraph. It works fine as a stand alone sub in a new doc, but fails inside the real document that contains other code that manipulates several documents. The failure is that it will delete the last empty para, but then gets stuck looping inside the While...Wend because subsequent .Delete are not happening. So, the question is why would this work in one document, but then fail in another? n = 0 ...

Office 2003 Service Pack 3--subsequent problems opening Publisher
I run Publisher 2003 on Windows XP. On June 13, I updated my system with Office 2003 Service Pack 3 so that I could open Word documents with the file ext docx. Subsequent to the Service Pack 3 installation, whenever I open a Publisher file (which I created), I get the following message: "Publisher has detected a problem in the file you are trying to open. If you are certain that this file came from a trusted source and does not contain harmful information, click OK." What is causing this and is there a way to stop this pop-up message? All publications? Error message when you...

Using Access 2003 on client to see Sharepoint 2007
Testing a Sharepoint environment and I can easily manipulate and run the database from Access 2007, but when I try to use Access 2003 it wants me to save the database to a location. The Access 2003 has the compatiblity pack, but it seems to not work when I download it. So the question is using Sharepoint 2007 and posting the Access 2007 format to it, can a user go to the sharepoint site and use a 2003 Access database that has the compatibility pack and open without having to download it? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Send check for $500.00 to: David A Jenn...

Outlook 2003 Out of Office Reminder RPC over HTTP
I have some remote office users that have Outlook 2003 configured using RPC over HTTP. They do not get the notice that pops up reminding them that their Out of Office is on when they open Outlook. Is there a way to get this to work? Thanks! Jeff ...

Changing font in Money 2004 register?
Is there any way to change the font(s) used in MS Money 2004's registers? The default font is too small and difficult for me to read. Also, is there any way to change the color scheme to something more pleasing to my eye (like you can do in Quicken...) Thanks. Nope and Nope. See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=136. "Debbie R." <debbimsr@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:f5ff01c43e15$e2ae3700$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Is there any way to change the font(s) used in MS Money > 2004's registers? The default font is too small and > difficult for me to read....

Change the Exchange Virtual Directory to different website
I would like to remove the exchange virtual directory default website and move it another website which is currently redirecting to the website I want to delete. Meaning rather than logon to OWA as http://www.wheresmylunch.com/exchange (current default website) I want to move to http://www.getyourownsandwich,com/exchange. I am using Exchange 2000 server. Rube You would change the host header on the current website. -- Hope that helps, Dan Townsend This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not send email to this address, post a reply t...

changing values of one field based on another
How can I best change the values of one field in a table based on values of another field of the same table. We have an existing table of thousands of entries and I would like to use the following logic to populate a new boolean field. If field1 = "Done" Then BooleanFieldCompleted = True I have some Excel VBA experience but limited Access. I dont want to do this manually! Any assistance appreciated. In general, you'd use an Update query. However, in this case I don't see why you'd need such a field. Why not just create a query with a computed field that returns True...

Outlook 2007 Calendar -> Outlook 2003
In the past I could forward appointments and birthdays from one PC to another, if both PC's had Office 2003. I just tried forwarding a birthday from Outlook 2007 to Outlook 2003 and it doesn't work. I get the email in 2003. Open it, open the calendar item, then click on Save & Close. No error message. But it's not there. Neither in the current month or for next year. I forwarded it as a reoccurring item, that's the only way it will let you do that. Has anyone else been able to do this? Or, is this a backward compatibility issue? It's odd.... this works fine for...

PDA-Outlook 2003
I have a Jornada 540 and I try to sync to outlook 2003 using Activesync 3.7. I get the message Outlook is no longer installed. Reinstall MS Outlook. This happens on both Exchange and Outlook 2003 environment. Appreciate your help ...

Money 2000 Account Balance Changed Inexplicably
Opening Money 2000, which I've used without problem since late 1999, I noticed that my checking account balance was overstated by almost $2000! I went to the register to see if there was a false transaction entered and it appears that this balance change goes back years with no obvious single entry being the culprit. When I run the "balance this account" function, it shows that the closing balance from my last statement, which was correct and rectified, is now also wrong and reflects the higher balance. What do I do now? The only thing that I can think of is to restore...

Merge code issues with Publisher 2003
It seems whenever the data source is altered, the merge code fields have to be reinserted in the Publisher document. Is this normal? The data source starts in Excel and is then saved as a .txt file to retain number formatting on final merge. ...

Changing language
I am running the Swedish version of Excel for XP and I need the US (or English) version. Is there a way to convert the language and all the settings associated with it? Using the swedish version is rather annoying since the formula names are translated to swedish. Thank you, Magnus ...

With and import tool can you change only item description?
Is there a way to change only the item description on a large quanity of items. What about the extended description? Thanks for your help. Use the MS SQL Data Import Tool by EMS. $65.00. The QSImport Tool available to download from Microsoft will probably work but is not supported by Microsoft. Kinnard L. Kohler Business Machines Systems 6101 South Shackleford Road Little Rock, AR 72204-8606 (T) 501-375-8380 (F) 501-375-0043 (Cell) 501-412-5686 Email: kinnard@removebmsar.com "Lisa" wrote: > Is there a way to change only the item description on a large quanity of >...

how to install Microsoft Mail to Outlook 2003
pls help I found 'this' (http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/msmail.htm) on www.outlook-tips.net I don't know if it works... ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ It does. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Search for answers: http://groups.google.com Most recent posts to the Outlook newsgroups: ...