Running on low free space

That little monster alert keeps popping up every two minutes when I am
on the console.  I have gotten it so that I have 161 MB of free space,
but when I start to do a virus pattern update with Trend Micro it drops
down to about 45 mbytes, and the update craps out with a statement that
the update is 80 per cent and the action is uncompleted.  What can I do
to get more free disk space from this hog.  There is 18 Gigs in the
system partition and I am at SP1, and not going any further.

Can I get rid of all the uninstall points related to KB?

There are three log files that are really huge:

WindowsUpdate.Log - 1,788,000 bytes dated 12/16/2009
OFCMAS.log        - 1,216-605 bytes dated  3/24/2008
iis6.log          - 2,505,186 bytes dated 11/15/2006

Do I need any of those?  And what kind of updates are being made to the
WindowsUpdate.log when I am not doing any updates.

Can I remove the SQL server and services when I am not using the SQL
server?  I do thing I converted the default iis service to SQL, but I
am not using any part of the default site for anything.

What else might I remove?

0
Hollis

Even with SP2 installed (which you really should have) 18 GB should be
adequate. Have you moved all data folders to another partition following the
MS white paper
(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708031(WS.10).aspx)? Have you
used the treesize utility to determine what else is taking up the space?

"Hollis Paul" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> That little monster alert keeps popping up every two minutes when I am
> on the console.  I have gotten it so that I have 161 MB of free space,
> but when I start to do a virus pattern update with Trend Micro it drops
> down to about 45 mbytes, and the update craps out with a statement that
> the update is 80 per cent and the action is uncompleted.  What can I do
> to get more free disk space from this hog.  There is 18 Gigs in the
> system partition and I am at SP1, and not going any further.
>
> Can I get rid of all the uninstall points related to KB?
>
> There are three log files that are really huge:
>
> WindowsUpdate.Log - 1,788,000 bytes dated 12/16/2009
> OFCMAS.log        - 1,216-605 bytes dated  3/24/2008
> iis6.log          - 2,505,186 bytes dated 11/15/2006
>
> Do I need any of those?  And what kind of updates are being made to the
> WindowsUpdate.log when I am not doing any updates.
>
> Can I remove the SQL server and services when I am not using the SQL
> server?  I do thing I converted the default iis service to SQL, but I
> am not using any part of the default site for anything.
>
> What else might I remove?

0
SteveB
12/17/2009 4:08:43 AM
Hi Paul,

adding some points to SteveB's comments:

> That little monster alert keeps popping up every two minutes when I am
> on the console.  I have gotten it so that I have 161 MB of free space,
> but when I start to do a virus pattern update with Trend Micro it drops
> down to about 45 mbytes, and the update craps out with a statement that
> the update is 80 per cent and the action is uncompleted.  What can I do
> to get more free disk space from this hog.  There is 18 Gigs in the
> system partition

18GB for the C-Partition is pretty small. Maybe you can expand your
C-Parttion (with "diskpart" or 3rd Party Tools)?

My reccomendation for SBS 2003 is: min. 30GB
My reccomendation for SBS 2008 is: min. 80GB

How to extend a data volume in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, in
Windows 2000, and in Windows Server 2008
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325590/en-us

> Can I get rid of all the uninstall points related to KB?

Don't remove but move it to another partition for later reusage (moving back
the necessary KB-folders)

C:\Windows\$NtUninstallKBxxxxx$ --> D:\Windows\$NtUninstallKBxxxxx$

> There are three log files that are really huge:
>
> WindowsUpdate.Log - 1,788,000 bytes dated 12/16/2009
> OFCMAS.log        - 1,216-605 bytes dated  3/24/2008
> iis6.log          - 2,505,186 bytes dated 11/15/2006

Compressing is an option..?

> Can I remove the SQL server and services when I am not using the SQL
> server?  I do thing I converted the default iis service to SQL, but I
> am not using any part of the default site for anything.

But you do, as SBSMonitoring, WSUS and other important SBS-Services using
the SQL-Engine, so "remove the SQL server and services" is NO option.

Instead use (SteveB mentioned it already) the following articel to move
everything growing away from your C-Parttion:

Moving Data Folders for Windows Small Business Server 2003

Tobias Redelberger
StarNET Services (HomeOffice)
Frankfurter Allee 193
D-10365 Berlin
Tel:       +49 (30) 86 87 02 678
Mobil:   +49 (163) 84 74 421
Email:   T.Redelberger@starnet-services.net
Web: http://www.starnet-services.net

0
Tobias
12/17/2009 12:10:02 PM
Have you found that KB325590 works when extending *boot* volumes for
SBS2003?  I didn't think it would work for that.

--
Allan Williams

Tobias Redelberger [MVP - SBS] wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> adding some points to SteveB's comments:
>
>> That little monster alert keeps popping up every two minutes when I
>> am on the console.  I have gotten it so that I have 161 MB of free
>> space, but when I start to do a virus pattern update with Trend
>> Micro it drops down to about 45 mbytes, and the update craps out
>> with a statement that the update is 80 per cent and the action is
>> uncompleted.  What can I do to get more free disk space from this
>> hog.  There is 18 Gigs in the system partition
>
> 18GB for the C-Partition is pretty small. Maybe you can expand your
> C-Parttion (with "diskpart" or 3rd Party Tools)?
>
> My reccomendation for SBS 2003 is: min. 30GB
> My reccomendation for SBS 2008 is: min. 80GB
>
> How to extend a data volume in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, in
> Windows 2000, and in Windows Server 2008
>

>> Can I get rid of all the uninstall points related to KB?
>
> Don't remove but move it to another partition for later reusage
> (moving back the necessary KB-folders)
>
> C:\Windows\$NtUninstallKBxxxxx$ --> D:\Windows\$NtUninstallKBxxxxx$
>

>> There are three log files that are really huge:
>>
>> WindowsUpdate.Log - 1,788,000 bytes dated 12/16/2009
>> OFCMAS.log        - 1,216-605 bytes dated  3/24/2008
>> iis6.log          - 2,505,186 bytes dated 11/15/2006
>
> Compressing is an option..?
>

>> Can I remove the SQL server and services when I am not using the SQL
>> server?  I do thing I converted the default iis service to SQL, but I
>> am not using any part of the default site for anything.
>
> But you do, as SBSMonitoring, WSUS and other important SBS-Services
> using the SQL-Engine, so "remove the SQL server and services" is NO
> option.
> Instead use (SteveB mentioned it already) the following articel to
> move everything growing away from your C-Parttion:
>
> Moving Data Folders for Windows Small Business Server 2003
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708031.aspx

0
Al
12/17/2009 4:58:00 PM
18GB is manageable IMHO, our SBS 2003 Premium partition is 20GB with almost
8GB free.

The key is to move all the data (exchange, WSUS, etc.) off the C: drive and
possibly cull some log files (Trend I've heard is bad at leaving huge files
around).

There are many many posts on this subject, this search will yield some
ideas:
http://groups.google.ca/groups/search?hl=en-GB&ie=UTF-8&q=sbs2003+low+disk+space&btnG=Search&sitesearch=groups.google.com

In particular, look for a helpful boilerplate response from Larry
Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP].

I wouldn't resize your boot partition unless you have to and have a
known-good backup.

--
Allan Williams

Hollis Paul wrote:
> That little monster alert keeps popping up every two minutes when I am
> on the console.  I have gotten it so that I have 161 MB of free space,
> but when I start to do a virus pattern update with Trend Micro it
> drops down to about 45 mbytes, and the update craps out with a
> statement that the update is 80 per cent and the action is
> uncompleted.  What can I do to get more free disk space from this
> hog.  There is 18 Gigs in the system partition and I am at SP1, and
> not going any further.
>
> Can I get rid of all the uninstall points related to KB?
>
> There are three log files that are really huge:
>
> WindowsUpdate.Log - 1,788,000 bytes dated 12/16/2009
> OFCMAS.log        - 1,216-605 bytes dated  3/24/2008
> iis6.log          - 2,505,186 bytes dated 11/15/2006
>
> Do I need any of those?  And what kind of updates are being made to
> the WindowsUpdate.log when I am not doing any updates.
>
> Can I remove the SQL server and services when I am not using the SQL
> server?  I do thing I converted the default iis service to SQL, but I
> am not using any part of the default site for anything.
>
> What else might I remove?

0
Al
12/17/2009 5:02:29 PM
In article <uoI#4qzfKHA.2184@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, Al Williams wrote:
> 18GB is manageable IMHO, our SBS 2003 Premium partition is 20GB with almost
> 8GB free.

Thanks, all.  I will start checking these notions out.  First to look at is
the trend micro directories.

--
Hollis Paul
Mukilteo, WA  USA

0
Hollis
12/18/2009 3:49:14 AM
I poked around and deleted a lot of log files down in Windows; but I
still am under the 200mb limit.  I was checking in the documents and
settings folder, and found that there is a nearly 4 gig file called
sptimer.mem, that is dated 5/19/2004.  My SharePoint Timer Service is
disabled.  Can I just Shift-delete this turkey?

It will not let me drag it to another partition because the memory is
too low.  These error messages are so helpful.

--
Hollis Paul
Mukilteo, WA  USA

0
Hollis
12/18/2009 3:49:14 AM
From what I undersatand if you are not running the SP timer service you can
delete the file.  Doesn't hurt ot make sure you have a backup of it first
(or try moving it and rebooting first)

--
Allan Williams

Hollis Paul wrote:
> I poked around and deleted a lot of log files down in Windows; but I
> still am under the 200mb limit.  I was checking in the documents and
> settings folder, and found that there is a nearly 4 gig file called
> sptimer.mem, that is dated 5/19/2004.  My SharePoint Timer Service is
> disabled.  Can I just Shift-delete this turkey?
>
> It will not let me drag it to another partition because the memory is
> too low.  These error messages are so helpful.

0
Al
12/21/2009 3:25:01 PM
There was a post last month on Trend.  He had found a huge 16GB folder
called AU_Temp folder under Trend Micro and deleted it.  See post from 11-09
"Running out of space...why???".

--
Allan Williams

Hollis Paul wrote:
> In article <uoI#4qzfKHA.2184@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, Al Williams wrote:
>> 18GB is manageable IMHO, our SBS 2003 Premium partition is 20GB with
>> almost 8GB free.
>>
> Thanks, all.  I will start checking these notions out.  First to look
> at is the trend micro directories.

0
Al
12/21/2009 3:33:02 PM
In article
<VA.000004b2.0008ec5c@obts-outlookdev.outlookbythesound.mukwoods>,
Hollis Paul wrote:
> t will not let me drag it to another partition because the memory is
> too low.  These error messages are so helpful.

I renamed it, and then shift-deleted it.  The file disappeared from the
directory listing, but the disk space did not appear as free memory.
How do I recover that free memory?  The defrag utility says I need 15%
of disk as free space before it can work well.  Anything else to do?

--
Hollis Paul
Mukilteo, WA  USA

0
Hollis
12/21/2009 6:07:03 PM
In article <OAZWjLlgKHA.1236@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, Al Williams wrote:
> There was a post last month on Trend.  He had found a huge 16GB folder
> called AU_Temp folder under Trend Micro and deleted it.  See post from 11-09
> "Running out of space...why???".

Thanks, Al, I will look for that.

--
Hollis Paul
Mukilteo, WA  USA

0
Hollis
12/21/2009 6:09:34 PM
It should reduce the free space - nothing special about it AFAIK.  Did you
refresh (F5) and empty the trash?

Have you installed the free version of "TreeSize"?  It helps a lot when
tracking down large files...

--
Allan Williams

Hollis Paul wrote:
> In article
> <VA.000004b2.0008ec5c@obts-outlookdev.outlookbythesound.mukwoods>,
> Hollis Paul wrote:
>> t will not let me drag it to another partition because the memory is
>> too low.  These error messages are so helpful.
>>
> I renamed it, and then shift-deleted it.  The file disappeared from
> the directory listing, but the disk space did not appear as free
> memory. How do I recover that free memory?  The defrag utility says I
> need 15% of disk as free space before it can work well.  Anything
> else to do?

0
Al
12/21/2009 11:15:33 PM
In article <eOOYAOpgKHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, Al Williams wrote:
> It should reduce the free space - nothing special about it AFAIK.  Did you
> refresh (F5) and empty the trash?

Wait.  It should add to the free space on the disk.  But it hasn't. I have
quit PowerDesk and restarted it so that it would reload.  I have gone to the
trash can display, but there is nothing in it.  That is what I would expect
as I did a shift-delete, which does not go to the trash can.

You think a boot will force the OS to reload the disk parameters?

--
Hollis Paul
Mukilteo, WA  USA

0
Hollis
12/26/2009 5:42:28 PM
In article <eOOYAOpgKHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, Al Williams wrote:
> It should reduce the free space - nothing special about it AFAIK.  Did you
> refresh (F5) and empty the trash?

Well, I rebooted the server and it came up with 450 megs free space.  So I
started a defrag, which complained that 2% free disk space was definitely not
15%, but I prodded it on to do what it could do.  The defrag report of files
it could not defrag was instructive, as most were in Trend Micro dirs, but
not in a temp directory.  But it also included the Exchange Database edb and
pri files, which I had moved to a different disk years earlier.  But there it
is, having been updated today, and the database on the SBS Data drive has not
been touched since 7/26/2004.  Bummer.  So, I have to get document mentioned
earlier and move that sucker, if I can.  The edb file is over 1 gig, and the
stm file is 732 megs.  This is not nice.  There also seem to be hundreds of 5
meg log files.  I thought those were deleted when the nightly backups were
taken.  Can I delete the old ones?

> Have you installed the free version of "TreeSize"?  It helps a lot when
> tracking down large files...

I did install this.  It pointed to the Trend Micro files as the largest, and
not the Exchange databases.  However, I may not have looked at it carefully
enough.  Does this program also find orphan segments on the disk?  If not,
can you suggest a program that does?

--
Hollis Paul
Mukilteo, WA  USA

0
Hollis
12/27/2009 12:11:49 AM
Definitely a red flag to have those 5 MB log files. An exchange aware backup
should be removing those so you should recheck your backup procedure. Do not
delete them manually.

> In article <eOOYAOpgKHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, Al Williams wrote:
>> It should reduce the free space - nothing special about it AFAIK.  Did
>> you
>> refresh (F5) and empty the trash?
>>
> Well, I rebooted the server and it came up with 450 megs free space.  So I
> started a defrag, which complained that 2% free disk space was definitely
> not
> 15%, but I prodded it on to do what it could do.  The defrag report of
> files
> it could not defrag was instructive, as most were in Trend Micro dirs, but
> not in a temp directory.  But it also included the Exchange Database edb
> and
> pri files, which I had moved to a different disk years earlier.  But there
> it
> is, having been updated today, and the database on the SBS Data drive has
> not
> been touched since 7/26/2004.  Bummer.  So, I have to get document
> mentioned
> earlier and move that sucker, if I can.  The edb file is over 1 gig, and
> the
> stm file is 732 megs.  This is not nice.  There also seem to be hundreds
> of 5
> meg log files.  I thought those were deleted when the nightly backups were
> taken.  Can I delete the old ones?
>

>> Have you installed the free version of "TreeSize"?  It helps a lot when
>> tracking down large files...
>
> I did install this.  It pointed to the Trend Micro files as the largest,
> and
> not the Exchange databases.  However, I may not have looked at it
> carefully
> enough.  Does this program also find orphan segments on the disk?  If not,
> can you suggest a program that does?
>>

> --
> Hollis Paul
> Mukilteo, WA  USA

0
SteveB
12/27/2009 3:54:16 AM
In article <OJ93EhqhKHA.4872@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, SteveB wrote:
> Definitely a red flag to have those 5 MB log files. An exchange aware backup
> should be removing those so you should recheck your backup procedure. Do not
> delete them manually.

Apparently, all the backups have been failing.  Here is the last log.

12/20/2009 11:00 PM
-------------------------------
Date: 12/20/2009
Time: 11:00 PM
User: SYSTEM
-------------------------------

Backup Runner started.
Launching NTBackup: ntbackup.exe backup "@H:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows
Small Business Server\Backup\Small Business Backup Script.bks" /d "SBS Backup
created on 12/20/2009 at 11:00 PM" /v:yes /r:no /rs:no /hc:off /m normal /j
"Small Business Server Backup Job" /l:s /f "Q:\SBS_BkUp\Backup Files\Small
Business Server Backup (02).bkf" /UM
NTBACKUP LOG FILE: H:\Documents and Settings\SBS Backup User\Local
Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data\backup02.log
=====================<BEGIN NTBACKUP LOG FILE>=====================
Backup Status
  The operation was not performed because the specified media cannot be found.

----------------------

=======================<END NTBACKUP LOG FILE>=====================
NTBackup finished the backup with errors.

For more information about failed backups, see the article on troubleshooting
your backup at the following Web page:

Backup ended at Sunday, December 20, 2009 11:00 PM
Backup Runner finished.

What media are they talking about?  Q: ?  If so, I had better change it to my
SBS2003 data disk, which has 14 gigs of free space.  Will the Microsoft backup
facility get rid of those log files?

--
Hollis Paul
Mukilteo, WA  USA

0
Hollis
12/27/2009 5:54:35 PM
In article <VA.000004b8.0016d055@obts-outlookdev.outlookbythesound.mukwoods>,
Hollis Paul wrote:
> What media are they talking about?  Q: ?  If so, I had better change it to my
> SBS2003 data disk, which has 14 gigs of free space.  Will the Microsoft backup
> facility get rid of those log files?

Happy days are here again!  I hooked up the USB drive that I haven't been using,
and Lo and Behold! It had a Q: drive on it.  I left it on Sunday night and it has
a new, much larger backup file, all the extra log files are gone from the system
disk, and the system disk is reporting 8 gigs of free space.  Now to see if I can
move the exchange data to the data disk, where it once was.  I suspect that an
upgrade may have moved it back.  Well, that won't happen again.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful suggestions.

--
Hollis Paul
Mukilteo, WA  USA

0
Hollis
12/28/2009 5:26:35 PM
In article <OpkBh6sfKHA.2260@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, SteveB wrote:
> Have you moved all data folders to another partition following the
> MS white paper
> (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708031(WS.10).aspx)?

"For more information about moving the Exchange databases and log files, see
article 821915, "How to Move Exchange Databases and Logs in Exchange Server
2003," in the Microsoft Knowledge Base [
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=4441 ]
(http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=4441)."

Alas, Bing can�t find this article. Do you have an updated KB number?

--
Hollis Paul
Mukilteo, WA  USA

0
Hollis
12/28/2009 11:50:58 PM
If you read the white paper carefully you'll see the KB reference is there
as well as the excerpt you posted below:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821915

Moving the Exchange database/logs is usually quite easy.

> In article <OpkBh6sfKHA.2260@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, SteveB wrote:
>> Have you moved all data folders to another partition following the
>> MS white paper
>> (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708031(WS.10).aspx)?
>>
> "For more information about moving the Exchange databases and log files,
> see
> article 821915, "How to Move Exchange Databases and Logs in Exchange
> Server
> 2003," in the Microsoft Knowledge Base [
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=4441 ]
> (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=4441)."
>
> Alas, Bing can't find this article. Do you have an updated KB number?
>

> --
> Hollis Paul
> Mukilteo, WA  USA

0
SteveB
12/29/2009 4:01:42 PM
Glad to hear the proper backup did remove the log files.

> In article
> <VA.000004b8.0016d055@obts-outlookdev.outlookbythesound.mukwoods>,
> Hollis Paul wrote:
>> What media are they talking about?  Q: ?  If so, I had better change it
>> to my
>> SBS2003 data disk, which has 14 gigs of free space.  Will the Microsoft
>> backup
>> facility get rid of those log files?
>>
> Happy days are here again!  I hooked up the USB drive that I haven't been
> using,
> and Lo and Behold! It had a Q: drive on it.  I left it on Sunday night and
> it has
> a new, much larger backup file, all the extra log files are gone from the
> system
> disk, and the system disk is reporting 8 gigs of free space.  Now to see
> if I can
> move the exchange data to the data disk, where it once was.  I suspect
> that an
> upgrade may have moved it back.  Well, that won't happen again.
>
> Thanks everyone for all the helpful suggestions.
>
> --
> Hollis Paul
> Mukilteo, WA  USA

0
SteveB

count the number of new lows within a range of cells
Hello, Is there a formula or method to count the number of new lows within a range of cells? For example, the following are in col A rows 5 to 14. Within this set a new low has been reached 3 times- (96,95,94). What I would like is a formula or macro that that would produce the results - 3. There are about 9000 rows of data and I am looking for "count of new lows within the preceding 10 rows" on a rolling basis. Thanks. 100 101 96 97 98 97 95 97 94 95 Version 1: Use this if the 9000 or so rows don't have blanks in them. In this version you just need to select the first cel...

Running out of memory?
How do I increase the file size allocated to my Outlook 2002 emails? If I download, say, 5000 emails I will quickly run out of room in the Outlook file. How do I increase the Outlook file size? Thanks. rush ...

Outlook 97 won't run on my Windows xp
Hi I recently installed office xp on my system every program works except for Outlook , which starts and says building outlook bar then just quits please help, or is there another contact program that I can use with active sync so I can get data onto my pocket pc , thanks garygthompson@gmail.com <garygthompson@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi I recently installed office xp on my system every program works > except for Outlook , which starts and says building outlook bar then > just quits In the subject you say "Outlook 97" and in the body you say "Office XP", whi...

Macro to run when opening doc
Hi all Is there any way to make a macro run when opening a specific document?? Tks in advance António Hi Antonio, Yes, you can name the macro 'AutoOpen' or call it from a macro so-named in a normal code module. Alternatively, you can use a 'Document_Open' macro in the document's 'ThisDocument' module, instead of the 'AutoOpen' macro. -- Cheers macropod [Microsoft MVP - Word] "Antonio" <Antonio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:965EBAAC-A781-4163-9530-8454EDE1832B@microsoft.com... > Hi all &g...

Run Code in General Module Upon Activation of Other Sheets
I have VBA code residing in a general module of a workbook. The outpu from the code updates several sheets in the workbook. I would like t automatically Run the code in the general module if any of thes several sheets are activated (by clicking on the sheet�s tab). How ca I do this? Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Steve You can use the folowwing events in the sheet module(not a normal module) Right click on a sheet tab and choose view code. Paste the events in there and press Alt-Q to go back to Excel. You can copy the code in the event or type the macro name ...

Copying pst file while Outlook running
Is it possible to copy my local pst file to backup while my Outlook is running? Any program I try to touch it (including DOS bat files with the copy command) result in an error message that another program is using it. No. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Hall" <hall@garp.org> wrote in message news:exWWl9FQFHA.1528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Is it possible to copy my local pst file to backup while my Outlook is > running? > > Any program I try to touch it (including DOS bat files with the copy > command) result in an error message that another program is usi...

space #4
i am downloading data from a program and pasting it to EXCEL. there are times when in certain cells a small box appears which I believe represents a space or who is ever entering the data hitting ENTER. Is there a way to remove this from all the cells? Select the import, do edit>replace, put the cursor in the find what box, hold down alt key while typing 010 on the numeric keypad, release alt key; Leave replace with blank or put a space there, click replace all. Regards, Peo Sjoblom "frank" wrote: > i am downloading data from a program and pasting it to > EXCE...

Running on low free space
That little monster alert keeps popping up every two minutes when I am on the console. I have gotten it so that I have 161 MB of free space, but when I start to do a virus pattern update with Trend Micro it drops down to about 45 mbytes, and the update craps out with a statement that the update is 80 per cent and the action is uncompleted. What can I do to get more free disk space from this hog. There is 18 Gigs in the system partition and I am at SP1, and not going any further. Can I get rid of all the uninstall points related to KB? There are three log files that are rea...

Run Excel file on a Server
I have an 8 meg excel file that needs to be shared with a whole team who connects to our web site with a very slow connection. Is there a way to "run" an Excel file on a server, so that the user is actually only loading the "tab" that they are using vs. loading the entire file everytime they want to look one thing up. This Excel file is updated regularily. Sadly, it won't work to just distribute it on CDs. Thanks in advance! Jon ...

Routine to run/export queries
Looking for some links to examples that do the following (or something close): 1. user would create a whole bunch of queries themselves (using Access) 2. form that lets the user runs these queries to display results and/or export 3. Would be good if user could select multiple queries and get multiple resultsets to display or be exported to an excel file with multiple worksheets. Example: user selects 5 queries and wants an excel file made with 5 tabs with the 5 different outputs of the queries, or the outputs of the 5 queries show in a form with multiple tabs in Access (hide...

Running total field
I have built an education assistance database for tuition reimburstments. The running total field I have on the data entry form needs to reflect how much each employee has received in the current calendar year. The school information, semester and dollars are in a sub-form of the data entry form for employee information. I have a running total control on the employee form that pulls from the subform school, however I can not get it to calculate only between dates of 1.1.2008 and 12.31.2008. Any help will be appricated. Thank you Michael S. On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 06:48:01 -0800, Michael ...

Still unable to run successful query
I've used the IFF suggestions given but it returns only Not Active results. I'm working on a case problem that reads: Create a query to display all matching records from the tblProgram and tblMember tables, selecting the ProgramType and MonthlyFee fields from the tblProgram table, and the FirstName and LastName fields from the tblMember table. Add a calculated field named MonthlyFeeStatus as the last column that equals Active if the MembershipStatus field is equal to Active and equals Not Active otherwise. -- jj Assuming MembershipStatus is a string (varchar) data field,...

Data Migration Framework for MS CRM 3.0 doesn't run
I've downloaded and installed the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 Data Migration Pack, which contains the Data Migration Framework for CRM 3.0, from: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3d36ac8e-b485-4f0c-9dec-c9bacbad1a73&DisplayLang=en But, when I launch the DMF by going to: Start-> Programs-> Microsoft Dynamics CRM Data Migration Pack-> Data Migration Framework I get a busy mouse cursor that changes back to a regular arrow pointer and nothing happens. When I try to launch DMF again, I get a windows error saying that a copy of the DMF framework is alread...

How do I set a macro to run at specific times?
Hi I have recorded a macro which I want to run automatically every hour. Could someone tell me how I do this You can read about the scheduling procedures at Chip Pearson's site: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/ontime.htm Nick123 wrote: > > Hi > > I have recorded a macro which I want to run automatically every hour. Could > someone tell me how I do this -- Dave Peterson ...

Can not run money2004, Need Help!
I installed money2004 standard in my laptop with windows xp OS (SP1) successfully. But when I can not run it. The money report "Microsoft Money has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.". And the error detail is "AppName: msmoney.exe AppVer: 12.0.0.613 ModName: ofdutil.dll ModVer: 12.0.0.613 Offset: 0000ce2d". I try every thing I can,"restart windows","uninstall it and installed it again","uninstall it and install money deluxe demo (download from microsoft website). But it is still not reporting th...

DataSet.ReadXml Method does not read/load space
Hello, There is a space(as a data) in one of the columns. And i save my DataTable as a xml file using DataSet. I used DataSet.WriteXml method to save as a xml file. Now if I read that .xml file using DataSet.ReadXml method,it removes space in that DataTable. Any idea...? This does not work in Visual Studio .NET 2003. If I execute this in VS .Net 2005, it works. I must make it work in VS 2003. Here there is a sample that does not work in VS NET 2003: ________________________________________________________________________________ DataTable dbTable = new DataTable(); ...

Unable to set up on-line account
Missage I get when I try to connect to an on-line bank. I checked my internet connection and it's working. I'm able to open IE browser within Money 2005. Please help. --------------------------- Microsoft Money --------------------------- Money cannot complete a required online call at this time. Please check your Internet connection settings and try again. --------------------------- OK Another reference to M05, what's going on? Bal wrote: > Missage I get when I try to connect to an on-line bank. > I checked my internet connection and it's working. I'...

Outlook: "Can not save free/busy information"
When I create any new tasks, reminders and events in outlook I get a little flash window in the bottom corner of my screen saying "Can not save free/busy information". So every time I restart outlook it loses my newly added items. I have tried closing outlook and opening the mail option in control panel and deleting the outlook .pst file and reading it but that did not seem to resolve the issue. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Outlook version please? Have you tried running Detect and Repair? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the gro...

230,000 Members Pay You Money, Join for FREE today!
Come Join the 230,000 Member Team !!! You simply CANNOT LOSE with 230,000 people HELPING and BUILDING YOUR MATRIX !! Click the link below to find out how you can benefit from all those 230,000 people right now ! http://tinyurl.com/9tvss ...

Run a macro based on the value of a cell
Hi Everyone I have what seems to be a simple task but can't seem to figure it out. I have a excel file that has the tabs "Current User List" & "Prev User List" On these sheets the first row is called "status" which is either "curr" or "prev" to indicate employee status. I copied and modified the macro posted on this site for copying an entire row to another worsheet and it works fine but I'd like to go one step further. If I change the status of an employee on the "Current User List" to "Prev" I want ...

ScanPst have run time attributes?
Does ScanPST have attributes you can put after scanpst.exe. Such as file to scan and to run repair automatically after detection finishes, without having to hit enter. My PST is large and would like to have it run during the night. Nope. The program takes no command line parameters or switches and requires the user to enter the name of the .pst file that requires "fixing". There is at least one commercial alternative, "Advanced Outlook Repair" by DataNumen, Inc. I have no experience with this product but it advertises that it supports command line parameter...

outlook won't start
Still having trouble - have string of emails from 1/31 but no solution - outlook says run scanpst.exe; tried, it says pst file is open - I have nothing running that I am aware of that would tie to the pst file. Rebooting, safe mode, last good configuration, none of those things help. Ideas? Is Outlook closed when you run the repair tool? Check your task manager > processes to make sure outlook.exe isn't running. "GretaJo" <GretaJo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9F470ED3-F31C-4DEF-9D8F-F57A315A2B69@microsoft.com... > Still having tro...

Is there anyway that I can download free MS-office software from
Is there anyway that I can download free MS-office software from internet?...My system crashed recently and I can not afford buying it Hi Shirley, Since you said system crashed, assume you mean the Office products themselves as opposed to templates, etc. If your machine had the software preinstalled by the OEM (original equipment manufacturer), such as DELL you should either have software CDs or the software is in on some hidden area of the harddrive. Contact your OEM. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcrit...

Can CRM be installed on a Windows 2003 Server running Sharepoint Services and Sharepoint Protal Server V2.0?
Will the standard install for CRM work on a Windows 2003 Server? Would there be any conflicts if the Windows 2003 server is already running Microsoft Project Server? Would there be any conflicts with Sharepoint Services V 2.0 or Sharepoint Portal Server V2.0? Bill Walter I attempted to run the CRM on 2003 Server, but quickly ran into issues accessing the workspace once installed. CRM 1.0 is not yet compatible with the .Net Framework 1.1 that's on 2003 Server "Bill Walter" <wqwalter@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Os304M1RDHA.3144@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>... &g...

Scroll bar space
Hi all I have several tabs each with one subform displayed. I have coded the current event of each form to only display the vertical scroll bar if the record count > 19. This works as desired, except it leaves space for the scroll bar when one isn't displayed, making the right hand side of the form look slightly untidy. Is there any way to get round this please? Thanks in advance for any help. Sue You could resize the subform control (decrease or increase its width) when you hide or show the scroll bar. John Spencer Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2009 The Hilltop Ins...