Remote access to home user

Picked up a new client that has a number of consultants working from
home, anyone got suggestions as to what to  use for  remote
access/support of non domain home based  systems.

There's a mix of mostly Vista and W7 Home premium, and XP Pro.

Ideally I'd like a service like logmein but it's monthly cost is a
little too expensive.

Appreciate any advice.
0
Scottfree16

Ultra VNC is one possibility.

<Scottfree16@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Picked up a new client that has a number of consultants working from
> home, anyone got suggestions as to what to  use for  remote
> access/support of non domain home based  systems.
>
> There's a mix of mostly Vista and W7 Home premium, and XP Pro.
>
> Ideally I'd like a service like logmein but it's monthly cost is a
> little too expensive.
>
> Appreciate any advice.

0
SteveB
12/1/2009 1:41:48 AM
It really depends on whether there are office machines available for the
users to log into.  Since you bring up LogMeIn, it sounds like there is.
And in that event, the remote desktop RWW service that comes with SBS is a
perfect fit.  Free, easy to set up, ready to rock.

If, however, there are not machines available for remote access then RWW,
LogMeIn, and Ultra-VNC are all out.  You'll need to look at setting up a
terminal server.  The up-front costs are a little higher, but there isn't a
recurring fee, so once you are up and running, you are good to go.

-Cliff

<Scottfree16@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Picked up a new client that has a number of consultants working from
> home, anyone got suggestions as to what to  use for  remote
> access/support of non domain home based  systems.
>
> There's a mix of mostly Vista and W7 Home premium, and XP Pro.
>
> Ideally I'd like a service like logmein but it's monthly cost is a
> little too expensive.
>
> Appreciate any advice.

0
Cliff
12/1/2009 2:21:12 AM
Cliff I read the question as wanting remote support for home computers so
RWW is not applicable. Thus why I suggested Ultra VNC. If he really meant
access from remote to internal then I agree RWW or a TS are the way to go.

"Cliff Galiher" <cgaliher@gmail.com> wrote in message
> It really depends on whether there are office machines available for the
> users to log into.  Since you bring up LogMeIn, it sounds like there is.
> And in that event, the remote desktop RWW service that comes with SBS is a
> perfect fit.  Free, easy to set up, ready to rock.
>
> If, however, there are not machines available for remote access then RWW,
> LogMeIn, and Ultra-VNC are all out.  You'll need to look at setting up a
> terminal server.  The up-front costs are a little higher, but there isn't
> a recurring fee, so once you are up and running, you are good to go.
>
> -Cliff
>

> <Scottfree16@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Picked up a new client that has a number of consultants working from
>> home, anyone got suggestions as to what to  use for  remote
>> access/support of non domain home based  systems.
>>
>> There's a mix of mostly Vista and W7 Home premium, and XP Pro.
>>
>> Ideally I'd like a service like logmein but it's monthly cost is a
>> little too expensive.
>>
>> Appreciate any advice.

0
SteveB
12/1/2009 3:20:25 AM
Hi,

I use techinline for remote support - https://www.techinline.com/
monthly cost for one account is around �21 and allows me to support as
many remote users as needed. The good thing is it doesn't require a
previous visit to install any client software.
Simon
Scottfree16@gmail.com wrote:
> Picked up a new client that has a number of consultants working from
> home, anyone got suggestions as to what to  use for  remote
> access/support of non domain home based  systems.
>
> There's a mix of mostly Vista and W7 Home premium, and XP Pro.
>
> Ideally I'd like a service like logmein but it's monthly cost is a
> little too expensive.
>
> Appreciate any advice.
0
Simon
12/1/2009 7:10:34 AM
Ahh.  Indeed.  Upon re-reading I think you are right.

In that case, the solution is *still* free.  Remote Assistance has been
around since XP and covers home versions of all the OS's.  Unlike a remote
desktop session, the assistance is a shared desktop, so the two users are
logged into the same session and the person offering assistance can see any
error messages or issues, just like VNC variants.  But since this is built
to be a support-enabling feature, it also includes built-in chat and a few
other niceties.  Highly recommend this approach.

-Cliff

"SteveB" <newsgroup@public.lan> wrote in message
> Cliff I read the question as wanting remote support for home computers so
> RWW is not applicable. Thus why I suggested Ultra VNC. If he really meant
> access from remote to internal then I agree RWW or a TS are the way to go.
>
> "Cliff Galiher" <cgaliher@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> It really depends on whether there are office machines available for the
>> users to log into.  Since you bring up LogMeIn, it sounds like there is.
>> And in that event, the remote desktop RWW service that comes with SBS is
>> a perfect fit.  Free, easy to set up, ready to rock.
>>
>> If, however, there are not machines available for remote access then RWW,
>> LogMeIn, and Ultra-VNC are all out.  You'll need to look at setting up a
>> terminal server.  The up-front costs are a little higher, but there isn't
>> a recurring fee, so once you are up and running, you are good to go.
>>
>> -Cliff
>>

>> <Scottfree16@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Picked up a new client that has a number of consultants working from
>>> home, anyone got suggestions as to what to  use for  remote
>>> access/support of non domain home based  systems.
>>>
>>> There's a mix of mostly Vista and W7 Home premium, and XP Pro.
>>>
>>> Ideally I'd like a service like logmein but it's monthly cost is a
>>> little too expensive.
>>>
>>> Appreciate any advice.

0
Cliff
12/1/2009 11:21:38 AM
Scottfree16@gmail.com wrote:
> Picked up a new client that has a number of consultants working from
> home, anyone got suggestions as to what to  use for  remote
> access/support of non domain home based  systems.
>
> There's a mix of mostly Vista and W7 Home premium, and XP Pro.
>
> Ideally I'd like a service like logmein but it's monthly cost is a
> little too expensive.
>
> Appreciate any advice.

You have a lot of options....

LogMeIn Free (yeah, for Your Own Personal Use, just like all those head-shop
pipes are "for tobacco use only")
Mikogo (free)
ShowMyPC (free ver)
Techinline (not free but not pricey and hey, you can charge your clients for
this, you know)

I would definitely not use anything like RDP or VNC or anything local that
involved setting up firewall rules, etc - too unpredictable, what you're
going to find on scary home PCs. And I would also be hesitent to offer
anything other than basic support for non company-owned/managed computers -
if you're billing by the hour, make sure they know that home PCs usually
take a lot longer to work on/fix. If you have a monthly flat rate, you need
to increase it by some amount for each PC you're supporting, and home PCs
should cost more than LAN-connected domain member desktops which you can
lock down and control. Also make sure you've got something in writing that
says their own local data/applications are ultimately the home user's
responsibility and you are not liable for damage or loss. CYA.

0
Lanwench
12/1/2009 7:57:48 PM
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 19:38:14 -0500, Scottfree16@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks to everyone who replied, remote assistance and ultra-vnc
probably require too much of my near luddite clients, some cannot even
distinguish between a back slash and a forward slash despite guidance
over the phone.

I'll definitely look at techinline. Thanks.

0
Scott
12/1/2009 8:39:17 PM
Lanwench

Thanks, that's good advice, I hear you on the free services, but while
logmein is a good service the monthly cost per PC is prohibitive.

Techinline is looking better each time I look at it.
0
Scott
12/1/2009 8:47:48 PM
Scott wrote:
> Lanwench
>
> Thanks, that's good advice, I hear you on the free services, but while
> logmein is a good service the monthly cost per PC is prohibitive.
>
> Techinline is looking better each time I look at it.

Yes, and it's a nice, responsive company to work with. Note that their
remote control bits don't work on Macs, don't persist between reboots, don't
allow for file transfer (at least not last time I checked). But for basic
stuff it rocks.

0
Lanwench
12/1/2009 10:22:30 PM
Hello,

I have tried a lot of applications for remote support and I prefer
UltraVNC SC (Single Click):
http://www.uvnc.com/addons/singleclick.html

Once you prepare the SC package (it is extremely small) you are ready.
The remote users click on the package (you can put it on a company web
site) and connect to your VNC viewer, which is running in listening
mode.

I prefer it because it is:

- It is extremely fast - the Mirror video driver is awsome (http://
www.uvnc.com/features/driver.html)
- It is stable and does not install anything on the client end (after
the session ends it cleans automatically the extracted files with the
settings from the package)
- There are a lot of features (including chat and transfer files both
ways options)
- It supports encryption and is secure
- The remote client sends the request, and after you accept it he can
close the connection whenever he choses (he is in control)
- That's not the most important factor, but I have to mention it - it
is free

Regards,

Dean
0
NetoMeter

Remote users cannot send e-mail through Outlook
I have a few users who do not work in our office. They have Outlook installed on their home computers and then dial up to the internet and do a send/receive. I have Exchange 2k3 on a Windows 2k server and the users are configured to allow for SMTP/POP3. All was working fine until earlier this week when they informed me that they could no longer "send" mail. They get the message "The TCP/IP connection was unexpectedly terminated by your mail server. If this problem persists, contact your LAN Administrator or Internet Provider". The users can still receive mail ...

comdlg32.ocx and Access 2007
I have several Access databases that were originally written using an Access version prior to Access 2007. I am in the process of converting the databases and installing them on new machines running Win7 and Access 2007. Over the years, one of the References I commonly used was comdlg32.ocx. It does not appear that either Win7 or Access 2007 installs that particular Active X file. I can copy it from an older machine, but that seems like a strange solution. Is comdlg32.ocx a "legacy" Active X file and has it been replaced with a newer (and differently named) Activ...

Moving from Home & Student to Full version of Office
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I need Exchange support and therefore I am planning to buy the Full version of MS Office 2008 for Mac. I already purchased and installed (and have been using) MS Office 2008 Home & Student edition. My questions are: 1. Should I uninstall the Home & Student edition before installing the Full version? (I assume so). 2. How do I make sure that the data I have already created in Office 2008 Home & Student edition will be available to me after installing the Full version? In particular, how do I make sure that ...

Inserting Excel into Access Reports

Simple Access counting queries

Expression Too Complex in Access 2000
Hi, Consider the following query: SELECT crTbl.acct_1, crTbl.amount, crTbl.date FROM crTbl WHERE (((crTbl.acct_1)="Supplies") AND ((crTbl.date) Between [Forms]![crReportOptionsFrm]![startDate] And [Forms]![crReportOptionsFrm]![endDate])); The query works fine on my own computer in Access 2002. When converted to Access 2000 and used on an other computer, I get the following error: "This expression is typed incorrectly or is too complex to be evaluated. Try simplifying the expression by assigning parts of the expression to variables." The problem is with the "Between...

groups detail section totals access 2003
Hi all, I know this can be done, but haven't figured out how yet. I have what basically is a summary report that my sql comes up with for the detail rows. I want to total these rows in the report and display immediately below the detail section. I don't really want to group anything, but want to treat the whole detail section as a group. That being said, how can I get a "group footer" on the designer so I can add my total columns. If I use "sorting and grouping", it starts grouping things and that is not what I want. I don't want to use the "page foo...

Remote Wipe Out Work with Treo 650?
Debating whether to get the Treo 650's with the ActiveSync built in vs. the PPC-6700 (both from Sprint) for our marketing reps here. Treo's are appealing due to how cheap they are now, and with the ActiveSync looks like you can sync up with xng2k3 sp2 (which we are implementing now). ActiveSync aside, can the Treo's be remotely wiped out with the Mobility Tool in xng2k3? Or is this feature only compatible with Windows Mobile OS? Anyone? Thx! No it can't. Remote wipe will only work with Windows mobile 5.0 devices with AKU 2.0 (formerly MSFP). Treo 650 is Palm OS. -- Be...

M2004 Won't Save Customized Toolbars / Home Page
Unable to find anything in archives or the UFAQ on this... My Money 2004 file recently stopped saving customized toolbars / home page. Any changes I make don't "stick". I've used super salvage, which supposedly found and corrected some errors, but the problem persists. Any ideas? Thanks. Try this (and it is in the UFAQ under a less specific topic at http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=153). Stop Money Express. Change your toolbar stuff. Exit Money. Restart Money. Restart Money Express. "Sock" <sock@wideopenwest.com> wrote in message news:8205f05b.04101407...

Retrieving Current User Information from JScript (OnChange)
I am adding functionality to one of my client's OnChange scripts to append the Current User Name into a memo field with date and action information. I scoured the web but can not find a way to properly retrieve the Current User information. Any information would be incredibly appreciated. ...

Remote access to another company's Outlook calendar?
Hello! I have one client on Exchange 2003 that wants to access the calendar of an employee (consultant?) at another company running Exchange (version not known yet). How can the remote company share this person's calendar with my client? He would need to access it and add appointments to it. Thank you for the help! Gregg Hill On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:15:24 -0700, "Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote: >Hello! > >I have one client on Exchange 2003 that wants to access the calendar of an >employee (consultant?) at another company running Exchange (version no...

Fueling your car with natural gas from home
Dear Everyone, as you know the price of the Oil is more and more increasing, while the oil supply is decreasing. Moreover Oil is causing wars, terror, oil spills, a lot of greenhouse gases. Do you know that there is plenty of natural gas ? The supply will last for many decades, probably for hundred years. A lot of methane (natural gas) is found as shale gas, a lot more will come from methane hidrates. Natural gas is causing much less greenhouse gases and since it is found locally, it will not cause any wars or terror. It will create jobs in your own country and not in the middle east...

Can't connect to Exchange server after VPN access
I can connect to my office Exchange server when in the office (LAN) but I cannot connect outside with Outlook. I can only use the webmail after entering a web VPN access: - First portal for VPN : https://xxx.yyy.com --> I enter my user_VPN/password_VPN - On the next web page, I have the choice for the webmail and it's a link as https://xxx.yyy.com/go/webmail.yyy.com~ssl where I can enter my user_mail/password_mail So I can't enter the url in RPC as every slash is forbidden In my Outlook, the Exchange server (EXC.yyy.com) is not reachable by ping (or tracert) and I can't ...

Access 2007 12-17-09
I am building a contact data base for my church. How do I get the phone field to automatically format like this (xxx) xxx-xxxx when the numbers are typed in the cell? -- Thank You In the form design view select the phone control and open the properties dialog. Goto the Data tab and use the Input Mask to define the format you wish to use. If you click on the ... to the right hand side on the property you will get another dialog where there are predefined input mask or you can define your own. For instance, I use !\(999") "000\-0000;0;_ to format my telepho...

Users cannot login to OWA after Exchange 2K3 was moved into different OU
I created a new OU named member servers, and moved the exchange 2k3 server into it. After I moved it, only the administrator was able to login to OWA successfully. No users could login to OWA. I created a test account with a mailbox, and was able to login to OWA with the newly created test account. I then moved the exchange 2k3 server from the member servers OU into the computers OU, and the newly created account was unable to login to OWA. Any help with this would be appreciated. ...

Backup a users mailbox in Exchange 2003
We have recently terminated a couple employees, and I would like to make a copy of their mailboxes. How do I go about doing this? -- Chuck On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 06:36:02 -0800, chb12 <chb12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We have recently terminated a couple employees, and I would like to make a >copy of their mailboxes. How do I go about doing this? Exmerge is always a good option. What I normally do is open their mailbox on my outlook, then create a PST (name it the users name). Once the PST is created I copy the contents of their mailbox into the PST. From there you ...

user forms #5
Hello, I have created a user form (click on New Employee). How do I get the information entered in to this form to appear in the correct columns in the Payroll data sheet? And how do I get the combo boxes to display the drop down information from the sheet called input. Regards Runner77 -- Runner77 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Runner77's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30388 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=500502 ...

Make sales target (quota) invisible for other users
I am setting up a MS CRM system for a pilot which focus primarily on our sales department. I have given each user who's a salesperson given a quota in the CRM system. These numbers are confidential and so not everybody may be given the possibility to view this data. But when I checked with another role, I could see the quota of erverybody who's got quota assigned. Is there a possibility to make these quota's only visible to the persons I want (for example the director can see the quota's of everybody, the salespersons can only see the quota for themselves and the rest o...