Question about upgrading server to RAID 0+1 or SSD

Hi guys,

I've got an Proliant ML150 G6 running SBS 2003. It has an Intel Xeon
E5502 @ 1.87Ghz (dual proc) with 4GB of RAM. It currently has 2x250GB
SATA 7200RPM disks, one of which I was going to use as a software RAID1,
but I haven't set it up as I think the performance hit would be
unreasonable without a dedicated card. I'm currently having performance
problems with the server which I have narrowed down to be the disk. I'm
running a few smallish databases on the server, along with exchange,
hosting a very low traffic website and BES express. I want to upgrade it
all, and have a fast reliable system. At the moment, everything is about
130GB. I'm thinking, would it be best to buy a decent RAID card and
perhaps buy another 2 or 4 drives to run in a RAID0+1 setup, or would I
be better off buying a single SSD (or even perhaps 2 smaller SSDs and a
RAID card)? I think with an SSD, I would image the current drive on to
that for minimal downtime, and repurpose the existing 2 drives in RAID 1
to hold the user data and company drive. All the databases and exchange
etc would be left on the SSD. What other issues do I have to think
about, I currently have the built in backup doing a nightly on to an
external drive. I've set it to start at 2AM and currently it is still
going (12:30PM!) although it looks like its almost finished. I get the
idea that SSDs fail alot less frequently than spinning disks, is a RAID
1 important for them? I also have read that they have a limited number
of writes avaliable, in practical terms, how long would this be in a
low/middle use SBS 2003 doing everything? I'm sorry this all seems so
jumbled, I really hope someone can tell me what I need to know :)

Thanks in advance!

Chris Clancey

--
chrisjc
chrisjc's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/253862.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
chrisjc

------=_NextPart_000_0098_01CB349D.D350D170

At this point, I wouldn't be spending any more money on an SBS server =
that is probably 6-7 years old and a newer version of the OS exists and =
the one after that is in beta

I suspect you would not see the performance on the SSD with a 2003 =
server that you would with a 2008 server.

--=20
Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)
Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed
http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/06723295=
73/ref=3Dpd_bbs_sr_1?ie=3DUTF8&s=3Dbooks&qid=3D1217269967&sr=3D8-1
Owner, CPU Services, Belleville, IL
A Microsoft Registered Partner
------------------------------------
MVPs do not work for Microsoft
Please do not submit questions directly to me.

  =
  chrisjc's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/253862.htm
  View this thread: =
http://forums.techarena.in/small-business-server/1356319.htm

  http://forums.techarena.in

------=_NextPart_000_0098_01CB349D.D350D170

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>At this point, I wouldn't be spending =
any more=20
money on an SBS server that is probably 6-7 years old and a newer =
version of the=20
OS exists and the one after that is in beta</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I suspect you would not see the =
performance on the=20
SSD with a 2003 server that you would with a 2008 server.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>-- <BR>Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)<BR>Co-Contributor, =
Windows=20
Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/=
0672329573/ref=3Dpd_bbs_sr_1?ie=3DUTF8&amp;s=3Dbooks&amp;qid=3D1217269967=
&amp;sr=3D8-1">http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleas=
hed/dp/0672329573/ref=3Dpd_bbs_sr_1?ie=3DUTF8&amp;s=3Dbooks&amp;qid=3D121=
7269967&amp;sr=3D8-1</A><BR>Owner,=20
CPU Services, Belleville, IL<BR>A Microsoft Registered=20
Partner<BR>------------------------------------<BR>MVPs do not work for=20
Microsoft<BR>Please do not submit questions directly to me.<BR></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>"chrisjc" &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:chrisjc.4f8d5b@DoNotSpam.com">chrisjc.4f8d5b@DoNotSpam.com=
</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:chrisjc.4f8d5b@DoNotSpam.com">news:chrisjc.4f8d5b@DoNotSpam.=
com</A>...</DIV><BR>Hi=20
  guys,<BR><BR>I've got an Proliant ML150 G6 running SBS 2003. It has an =
Intel=20
  Xeon<BR>E5502 @ 1.87Ghz (dual proc) with 4GB of RAM. It currently has=20
  2x250GB<BR>SATA 7200RPM disks, one of which I was going to use as a =
software=20
  RAID1,<BR>but I haven't set it up as I think the performance hit would =

  be<BR>unreasonable without a dedicated card. I'm currently having=20
  performance<BR>problems with the server which I have narrowed down to =
be the=20
  disk. I'm<BR>running a few smallish databases on the server, along =
with=20
  exchange,<BR>hosting a very low traffic website and BES express. I =
want to=20
  upgrade it<BR>all, and have a fast reliable system. At the moment, =
everything=20
  is about<BR>130GB. I'm thinking, would it be best to buy a decent RAID =
card=20
  and<BR>perhaps buy another 2 or 4 drives to run in a RAID0+1 setup, or =
would=20
  I<BR>be better off buying a single SSD (or even perhaps 2 smaller SSDs =
and=20
  a<BR>RAID card)? I think with an SSD, I would image the current drive =
on=20
  to<BR>that for minimal downtime, and repurpose the existing 2 drives =
in RAID=20
  1<BR>to hold the user data and company drive. All the databases and=20
  exchange<BR>etc would be left on the SSD. What other issues do I have =
to=20
  think<BR>about, I currently have the built in backup doing a nightly =
on to=20
  an<BR>external drive. I've set it to start at 2AM and currently it is=20
  still<BR>going (12:30PM!) although it looks like its almost finished. =
I get=20
  the<BR>idea that SSDs fail alot less frequently than spinning disks, =
is a=20
  RAID<BR>1 important for them? I also have read that they have a =
limited=20
  number<BR>of writes avaliable, in practical terms, how long would this =
be in=20
  a<BR>low/middle use SBS 2003 doing everything? I'm sorry this all =
seems=20
  so<BR>jumbled, I really hope someone can tell me what I need to know=20
  :)<BR><BR>Thanks in advance!<BR><BR>Chris Clancey<BR><BR><BR>--=20
  =
<BR>chrisjc<BR>----------------------------------------------------------=
--------------<BR>chrisjc's=20
  Profile: <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://forums.techarena.in/members/253862.htm">http://forums.tech=
arena.in/members/253862.htm</A><BR>View=20
  this thread: <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://forums.techarena.in/small-business-server/1356319.htm">htt=
p://forums.techarena.in/small-business-server/1356319.htm</A><BR><BR><A=20
  =
href=3D"http://forums.techarena.in">http://forums.techarena.in</A><BR></B=
LOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0098_01CB349D.D350D170--

0
Cris

CRM 3.0 Implementation

asap utilities question
I have Msft. Excel Vsn 2002 and latest vsn. of ASAP Utilities. I used ASAP Utilities to merge single rows of data together so that more than one row will fit on a single line of text. My question now, is, is it possible using ASAP Utilities to separate the data that has been merged back into single rows of data? All information welcomed! Aaron ...

Isinteg Warning Message Question

help need with VC 6.0 IDE and mfc

Changing SQL Server for CRM 1.2

Vlookup returns "0"

Relay from unstruted server

crm 3.0 error 03-01-06

Relay Servers?

Windows Server 2008 R2 04-09-10

Microsoft Exchange Server

Dotfuscator question
Hello Everybody !!! When i create programm using C# i must understand that my programm from exe - module can be converted to the source file by Reflector. In Order do not allow do this i must use dotfuscator, but i did not find any free normal dotfuscator. May be someone tell me what can i do cause now as think we have interesting paradox. We 've got free technology but if we want to protect our products we must buy expensive commercial dotfuscators. Alex Dmitriev You should post this message in a newsgroup which discusses managed code. This newsgroup does not have much managed traff...

CRM 3.0 Login Problems

Unable to sort on customer CRM 4.0

question on the rules wizard
When clikcing on the Rules Wizard, Outlook locks up - consistently. Has anyone got a remedy for this? Thank you, rich rpage@concerto.com ...

OE questions
Ok, I have two questions: 1. With Thunderbird I can use this with a hotkey manager to compose a new message with Tbird "D:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird \thunderbird.exe -compose" -- how can I do the same for Outlook Express and Outlook 2003? 2. When I go to load Outlook Express I get this error message, followed by the error message below it: http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x296/gwar_1/Untitled-3.png how can I fix this and use Outlook Express? Thanks! posted to the outlookexpress newsgroup via crosspost --=20 Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Re...

question about Time