NTBACKUP Cannot access mapped drive..."The Network Share Could Not Be Reached"

I have a client for whom we recently took over the provision of IT
support.

They have Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server.

The issue is as follows - they use a Snap Drive (NAS) to store all of
their data files. Every night at 18:00 NTBACKUP is scheduled to back
up the contents of the Snap drive. The Snap drive is accessed by the
server via a mapped drive (S: in this case).

Unfortunately the backup has been failing for the last 2 months (we
took over a week ago). If you try and select the mapped Snap Drive
within NTBACKUP you get the following error:

"The network share S: could not be reached. Please make sure the path
still exists and your network connection is functioning properly".

However you can access the mapped drive in My Computer without any
problems - you can copy files, create new files, delete etc.  It's
just through NTBACKUP that you can't access the drive.

So far I've tried the following:-

- Reboot the server
- Unmap and remap the Snap drive share

There seems to be very little about this issue in other forums etc. I
thought it could be a permissions issue but if it was I wouldn't be
able to access the drive OK in My Computer?

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

0
eggedd2k

I've just discovered a couple of other points:

- The security settings are full control for everyone so it's not a
permissions issue

- The file system used on the NAS is FAT. (perhaps NTBackup on SBS
2003 cannot access FAT drives?)
0
eggedd2k
8/24/2010 9:19:38 AM
"eggedd2k" <eggedd2k@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a client for whom we recently took over the provision of IT
> support.
>
> They have Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server.
>
> The issue is as follows - they use a Snap Drive (NAS) to store all of
> their data files. Every night at 18:00 NTBACKUP is scheduled to back
> up the contents of the Snap drive. The Snap drive is accessed by the
> server via a mapped drive (S: in this case).
>
> Unfortunately the backup has been failing for the last 2 months (we
> took over a week ago). If you try and select the mapped Snap Drive
> within NTBACKUP you get the following error:
>
> "The network share S: could not be reached. Please make sure the path
> still exists and your network connection is functioning properly".

I had the same or similar issue a few years back.

Remember that the backup task will run under a different user account to the
one you are using. Which is why it might run fine if you run the backup
command at the command line and yet fail when added to the scheduler.

Look at which account the backup is running under. Chances are that it
doesn't have network access, and even if it does have network access that
the drive hasn't been mapped for it. So create a separate account for it (or
run it under the administrator account if you want a quick solution), and
even then you may need to add to the backup script a line to map the drive.

Hope this helps.
--
 Brian Cryer
 http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

0
Brian
8/24/2010 11:46:47 AM
It's not got as far as actually running the backup - I should point
out that from within NTBACKUP I can't even access the mapped SNAP
drive - I get the error detailed above when I click on it.

I've even tried right clicking on ntbackup and running as
administrator.

Any other ideas?
0
eggedd2k
8/26/2010 7:35:13 AM
Maximum file size in FAT is 4GB so the backup is probably too large.
Reformat it to NTFS.

--
Allan Williams

eggedd2k wrote:
> I've just discovered a couple of other points:
>
> - The security settings are full control for everyone so it's not a
> permissions issue
>
> - The file system used on the NAS is FAT. (perhaps NTBackup on SBS
> 2003 cannot access FAT drives?)

0
Al
8/26/2010 2:53:20 PM
Sorry I thought you were backing up TO the NAS drive.  NTBackup can be picky
about the types of media it supports.  You could try simply copying the
files with robocopy or something which gives you a benefit of compressing as
well as NTbackup won't.
--
Allan Williams

Al Williams wrote:
> Maximum file size in FAT is 4GB so the backup is probably too large.
> Reformat it to NTFS.
>

> eggedd2k wrote:
>> I've just discovered a couple of other points:
>>
>> - The security settings are full control for everyone so it's not a
>> permissions issue
>>
>> - The file system used on the NAS is FAT. (perhaps NTBackup on SBS
>> 2003 cannot access FAT drives?)

0
Al
8/26/2010 3:17:05 PM
Snap Drive would indicate this is connected to a NetApp filer, is that correct?

If so, that space is not FAT, it is actually a Unix file system being accessed via multiprotocol support.  As such you cannot back it up from a Windows host.  You will need to back it up from the filer or a Unix host.

Now in a perfect world, you don't have or need Unix access to it and then you would run the command to reset the permissions structure to NTFS.

Neither NetApp nor EMC support FAT, so anytime you see FAT, it is really Unix and FAT is best that Windows and the filer can approximate.

> On Tuesday, August 24, 2010 4:16 AM eggedd2k wrote:

> I have a client for whom we recently took over the provision of IT
> support.
>
> They have Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server.
>
> The issue is as follows - they use a Snap Drive (NAS) to store all of
> their data files. Every night at 18:00 NTBACKUP is scheduled to back
> up the contents of the Snap drive. The Snap drive is accessed by the
> server via a mapped drive (S: in this case).
>
> Unfortunately the backup has been failing for the last 2 months (we
> took over a week ago). If you try and select the mapped Snap Drive
> within NTBACKUP you get the following error:
>
> "The network share S: could not be reached. Please make sure the path
> still exists and your network connection is functioning properly".
>
> However you can access the mapped drive in My Computer without any
> problems - you can copy files, create new files, delete etc.  it is
> just through NTBACKUP that you cannot access the drive.
>

> So far I have tried the following:-
>
> - Reboot the server
> - Unmap and remap the Snap drive share
>
> There seems to be very little about this issue in other forums etc. I
> thought it could be a permissions issue but if it was I would not be
> able to access the drive OK in My Computer?
>

> Any help on this would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks

>> On Tuesday, August 24, 2010 5:19 AM eggedd2k wrote:

>> I have just discovered a couple of other points:
>>
>> - The security settings are full control for everyone so it is not a
>> permissions issue
>>
>> - The file system used on the NAS is FAT. (perhaps NTBackup on SBS
>> 2003 cannot access FAT drives?)

>>> On Tuesday, August 24, 2010 7:46 AM Brian Cryer wrote:

>>> I had the same or similar issue a few years back.
>>>
>>> Remember that the backup task will run under a different user account to the
>>> one you are using. Which is why it might run fine if you run the backup
>>> command at the command line and yet fail when added to the scheduler.
>>>
>>> Look at which account the backup is running under. Chances are that it
>>> does not have network access, and even if it does have network access that
>>> the drive has not been mapped for it. So create a separate account for it (or
>>> run it under the administrator account if you want a quick solution), and
>>> even then you may need to add to the backup script a line to map the drive.
>>>
>>> Hope this helps.
>>> --
>>> Brian Cryer
>>> http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

0
Scott
9/9/2010 7:56:56 PM
> [...]

>> permissions issue
>>
>> - The file system used on the NAS is FAT. (perhaps NTBackup on SBS
>> 2003 cannot access FAT drives?)

>>> On Tuesday, August 24, 2010 7:46 AM Brian Cryer wrote:

>>> I had the same or similar issue a few years back.
>>>
>>> Remember that the backup task will run under a different user account to the
>>> one you are using. Which is why it might run fine if you run the backup
>>> command at the command line and yet fail when added to the scheduler.
>>>
>>> Look at which account the backup is running under. Chances are that it
>>> does not have network access, and even if it does have network access that
>>> the drive has not been mapped for it. So create a separate account for it (or
>>> run it under the administrator account if you want a quick solution), and
>>> even then you may need to add to the backup script a line to map the drive.

0
Scott
9/9/2010 7:58:38 PM
> [...]

>> permissions issue
>>
>> - The file system used on the NAS is FAT. (perhaps NTBackup on SBS
>> 2003 cannot access FAT drives?)

>>> On Tuesday, August 24, 2010 7:46 AM Brian Cryer wrote:

>>> I had the same or similar issue a few years back.
>>>
>>> Remember that the backup task will run under a different user account to the
>>> one you are using. Which is why it might run fine if you run the backup
>>> command at the command line and yet fail when added to the scheduler.
>>>
>>> Look at which account the backup is running under. Chances are that it
>>> does not have network access, and even if it does have network access that
>>> the drive has not been mapped for it. So create a separate account for it (or
>>> run it under the administrator account if you want a quick solution), and
>>> even then you may need to add to the backup script a line to map the drive.

0
Scott
9/9/2010 7:59:01 PM