Migration sbs2008 from sbs2003 exchange best practices shows sbs20

I still see a first administrative group and the original source server in
the best practices analyzer. Everything seems to be working fine even with
original server shut off. I don't understand why these objects are still
here. the Exchange administrative group is fine. I have fqdn errors on the
first administrative group. I'm not sure how to proceed to clean this up.
Missing fqdn in exchangeMDB service principle name
missing fqdn in exchangerfr service principle name
missing netbios name in exchangemdb service principle name
missing netbios name in exchangerfr service principle name

Bryan,

I'm not sure if I can really tell you a lot about how to resolve this
without getting into a lot deeper discussion, but I can try to clarify your
situation.

After the conclusion of the SBS 2008 migration sequence you must do an
orderly decommission of your "source" server. That means you uninstall
Exchange in an orderly manner and complete a DCpromo sequence to demote the
"source" server so that it's no longer registered in AD as either an
Exchange Server or Domain Controller. After that there's a bit more minor
cleanup to get rid of the computer object shown in the SBS console or in
DNS.

If you didn't do these things, this explains why you see remnants of the
source server and you need to address that cleanup now.

Removing Exchange from the source server would eliminate the Information
Stores and the Storage Groups.

With all that eliminated you wouldn't have any SPN errors.

As for the original Administrative Group, that's permanent and doesn't go
away.

It sounds to me that you omitted the Exchange cleanup before you removed the
source server, so now you need to remove the Exchange objects and anything
else you overlooked.

I'm hesitent to just offer blind advice on this, it's not the way I would
support a customer of mine, but the documentation path provided by MS for
cleanup is not quite the same as what I provide via SBSmigration.com and so
I'd like to leave it at you need to review the cleanup tasks to be
completed. At this point you would need to use ASDiedit, but you need to be
careful about what you start deleting and I can't know for sure what impact
this may have on your operating server. You might need someone who knows
what to look for to inspect your configuration.

- Jeff Middleton SBS-MVP
YCST@SBSmigration.com

"Bryan Watt" <BryanWatt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I still see a first administrative group and the original source server in
> the best practices analyzer. Everything seems to be working fine even with
> original server shut off. I don't understand why these objects are still
> here. the Exchange administrative group is fine. I have fqdn errors on the
> first administrative group. I'm not sure how to proceed to clean this up.
> Missing fqdn in exchangeMDB service principle name
> missing fqdn in exchangerfr service principle name
> missing netbios name in exchangemdb service principle name
> missing netbios name in exchangerfr service principle name

0
Jeff
12/12/2009 12:26:42 AM
It never said to uninstall exchange. It only said to run dcpromo. I followed
the migration every step. When I try to run sbs2003 setup now to remove
exchange it stops at 25-40 and never loads. Is there any other way to remove
exchange from the original server? Can I just run system manager and delete
the first administrative group leaving the exchange administrative group for
exchange 2007?

"Jeff Middleton [SBS-MVP]" wrote:

> Bryan,
>
> I'm not sure if I can really tell you a lot about how to resolve this
> without getting into a lot deeper discussion, but I can try to clarify your
> situation.
>
> After the conclusion of the SBS 2008 migration sequence you must do an
> orderly decommission of your "source" server. That means you uninstall
> Exchange in an orderly manner and complete a DCpromo sequence to demote the
> "source" server so that it's no longer registered in AD as either an
> Exchange Server or Domain Controller. After that there's a bit more minor
> cleanup to get rid of the computer object shown in the SBS console or in
> DNS.
>
> If you didn't do these things, this explains why you see remnants of the
> source server and you need to address that cleanup now.
>
> Removing Exchange from the source server would eliminate the Information
> Stores and the Storage Groups.
>
> With all that eliminated you wouldn't have any SPN errors.
>
> As for the original Administrative Group, that's permanent and doesn't go
> away.
>
> It sounds to me that you omitted the Exchange cleanup before you removed the
> source server, so now you need to remove the Exchange objects and anything
> else you overlooked.
>
> I'm hesitent to just offer blind advice on this, it's not the way I would
> support a customer of mine, but the documentation path provided by MS for
> cleanup is not quite the same as what I provide via SBSmigration.com and so
> I'd like to leave it at you need to review the cleanup tasks to be
> completed. At this point you would need to use ASDiedit, but you need to be
> careful about what you start deleting and I can't know for sure what impact
> this may have on your operating server. You might need someone who knows
> what to look for to inspect your configuration.
>

> - Jeff Middleton SBS-MVP
> YCST@SBSmigration.com
>

> "Bryan Watt" <BryanWatt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I still see a first administrative group and the original source server in
> > the best practices analyzer. Everything seems to be working fine even with
> > original server shut off. I don't understand why these objects are still
> > here. the Exchange administrative group is fine. I have fqdn errors on the
> > first administrative group. I'm not sure how to proceed to clean this up.
> > Missing fqdn in exchangeMDB service principle name
> > missing fqdn in exchangerfr service principle name
> > missing netbios name in exchangemdb service principle name
> > missing netbios name in exchangerfr service principle name
>

> .

Exchange 5.5 EDB questions
Hello, I have an exchange 5.5 server, which is running on Windows 2000 server. I have set it up so that I can try to recover some data from a stray pub.edb file. I have tried using the edbutil/eseutil to try and recover the database and change the headers, but I cannot find a definitive answer to the following question. 'How do I import a foreign PUB.EDB folder into my exchange database, and allow users to access it as a folder (Public)?' Thanks in advance, James Copp-Taylor You do not import .edb into Exchange database. You perform disaster recovery, export data to .pst, then imp...

Exchange 5.5
We have an IBM Netfinity 5000 server running Windows NT4, and Exchange Server 5.5 Over the last 2-3 weeks, Outlook has been freezing, not sending messages ("Operation failed"), and Exchange has been just crashing at odd times and unpredictable times The event log shows a lot of 'Error 0xfffffbd3 occurred on message 1-EB1F8B1 during a background cleanup' type messages. when someone trys to send a message it sometimes comes up with "Operation failed" If the user opens a new email, and then cuts and pastes the text from the failed message into the new email, it goes o...

SBS Exchange 2003: Create new user in AD but no exchange mailbox #3
I'm using SBS 2003. Exchange server is SP2. When I create a new user using Active Directory, it prompts me about creating a mail box. It says it's creating a mailbox, then it's done. But no mailbox appears. In fact, if I use the Exchange tasks wizard, I can create, delete, and recreate the mailbox--all say successful without an error message. And yet, no mailbox. This is even after I reboot the PC and sent email to the address. Any ideas what's going on? mike.aes@gmail.com wrote: > I'm using SBS 2003. Exchange server is SP2. > > When I create a new user ...

How to convert hyperlink in Excel to show hyperlinked address?
I have an Excel spreadsheet with a list of hyperlinked email addresses. For example the list displays "Email", but the hyperlinked data is "mailto:name@domain.com". I need to "un-hyperlink" the information so that I have a list of the data itself - i.e. so I have a list of the name@domain.com addresses. Using Excel 2003. Thanks for any help you can provide! IN EXCEL 2007 (maybe 2003 but not sure) / right click the cell and select Remove Hyperlink. If my comment has helped please hit Yes. Thanks. "Bruce" wrote: > I have ...

SQL for showing fully allocated sales orders with ship complete checked
I am attempting to write some SQL to show any SOP orders that have all of the line items allocated/fulfilled -- but only if the ship complete checkbox is checked -- and am banging my head on the wall. In my code, I get each line item displayed with either a "yes" or "no", but I just want the overall order number to show, not each line item. Can someone please give me a little bit of direction here? Thanks. -Joe SELECT * FROM SOP10100 WHERE SOPNUMBE IN ( SELECT DISTINCT SOPNUMBE FROM SOP10200 WHERE (QUANTITY = ATYALLOC) AND (QUANTITY = QTYFULFI) AND (SO...

Symantec Gateway Security 360 with Win2000/Exchange Server
Exchange Server was not changed Windows 2000 Small Business Server was not changed New Cisco 1841 Router New Symantec Gateway Security 360. All outbound email is functioning properly except email sent to a few domains, ie: AOL. Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: XXXXXXXXXX Sent: 2/17/07 12:06 PM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: xxxxxxxxxxxx@aol.com on 2/19/07 12:18 PM Could not deliver the message in the time limit specified. Please retry or contact your administrator. <servername.com #4.4.7> any ideas of how the SGS-360 needs ...

exchange 2003 +recepient update services
Hi i have this issue for months now. I have win2k AD network with exchange 2003. My pdc went down, but before it went down i managed to transfer all the FSO roles to my secondary domain controller successful. All seemed well, but then when i access exchage system manager to create a mailbox for a new user it gets up to 60% on the task but then throws up an error message of : <?xml version="1.0" encoding="unicode" ?> - <taskWizardRun taskName="Create Mailbox" dcName="DC2" buildNumber="6944" runningAs="Administrator@domain....

Need HELP with Exchange Restore/Recovery
Details: 2003 sp2 Exchange Server Enterprise 2003 sp1 Server Enterprise C: drive is 100GB Logical Drive over x4 36GB drives in a RAID 5 set D: drive is 280GB Logical Drive over x5 70GB drives in a RAID 5 set Domain Controller Last night I upgraded our 2003 sp1 Exchange to sp2 + any O/S hot fixes and DST fix. No problem with the upgrade or hot fix, but @ about 200 a.m. I lost two of the five drives in the RAID 5 set (drive D) that had the exchange install. I’m currently replacing the hardware & bringing up the drives & going to recreate the D: drive. (server is bootable) I h...

Outlook 2002 on Exchange 5.5 -- RTF to Plain Text issues
The owner of our company wants ALL email sent to him in Rich Text Format so he can use an abbreviation program he has that works with MS Word when replying. I created a document telling people how to change their settings for Outlook to ensure all messages are sent in Rich Text. My problem is that since he travels so much he wants to be a POP user on our server. If I send him a message from my PC directly connected to the Exchange server he receives it in RTF. If the President of the company (who is also a POP user) sends him a msg in RTF he receives it in Plain Text. He wants me to expla...

How to disable BCC field in Outlook 2003 clients running on Exchange 2003 ?
How to disable BCC field in Outlook 2003 clients running on Exchange 2003 ? (make BCC field unvalible) In news:u6NrOZiyFHA.2212@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl, RikS <riks.tw@yahoo.com.tw> typed: > How to disable BCC field in Outlook 2003 clients running on Exchange > 2003 ? (make BCC field unvalible) Don't know how you'd do this offhand, but I wouldn't. If users are misusing BCC, educate them, and make this an HR issue. It really isn't a technical one. HI Riks go to new mail over there on toolbar u will be getting option in that opti...

Copying inbox from one account to another on exchange 2003
Hi I need to copy the inbox of user from one account to another account. Is there a way to do that? I tried copying to the public folder then copying from public to new account - but the dates changed to todays date for all emails! Any thoughts? Use PSTs. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "Ali" <Ali@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B67F087A-39D7-4DBA-947D-F20F63574952@microsoft.com... > Hi > I need to copy the inbox of user from one account to another account. Is > t...

Exchange doesnt start at boot up problem.
Hi well here we go today for some reason exchange stopped and i mean totally we found out that asp and iis had totally disappeared?. So we re-install them and then re ran exchange with the disaster recovery switch. And everything seemed fine but how wrong i am. Ok so here we go:- Around 50 % of the users get an error message after send and recive 0x80040111 they recieve and send emails but the error appears these users are unable to send email through owa either. All other users are unaffected except for mac users using entourage they are unable to do anything at all (pop3). Also GFI stop...

Exchange and hotmail
I've recently setup an Exchange 2003 server. Everything seems to be working well except one thing. When I try to send mail from a hotmail account to a user on the exchange domain, the message is bounced back to the hotmail account. I've read about PTR records and how some ISP's are trying to do use this to block spam, but I have sent mail from AOL and yahoo and the messages went through. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks, John Here is the posted message. Thanks, John From : <postmaster@mail.hotmail.com> Sent : Wednesday, July 7, 2004 3:57 PM To : us...

Mail Delivery Locally Between Two Exchange servers Locally
Hi, 1) I have two Exchange servers hosting Exchange 2000, Exchange 2003 in the same subnet. 2) two domains are different from each other (DmainA.com.sg, DonainB.com.sg). 3) When these exchange servers send mails, it will go through the SMTP of its own. 4) when DomainA send mail to DomainB or viseversa it will go through the SMTP which results slow delivery of mail. Q:- 1) is there any way i can configure these servers to deliver mail to each other directly. 2) on Exchange 2000 any mail for DomainB must go through any conector,deliver directly or smar...

OL2007+Exchange: Sent items disappear if i move them to another folder...!
I'm seeing a very strange issue with my Outlook2007 (against Exchange)... Sent items disappear if i move them to another folder...! Steps: 1. Send an email. Sent email gets saved under Outlook's default "Mailbox\SentItems" folder. 2. Go to that SentItems folder, and move the mail to another folder (let's say "Foobar") under your inbox. 3. Go to "Foobar", make sure mail is still there. 4. Let Outlook Sync up with Exchange server (or hit "Send and Receive"). 5. You will notice that the mail disappears... ! I did a full text search in my ...

exchange store backup problem
I have a job slotted for every night. It does the following 1. ntbackup server state to a backup file A on harddriv 2. ntbackup exchange store to a backup file B on harddriv 3. ntbackup entire server (excluding server state and exchange store) to 8mm mammouth driv This works great most of the time. My problem is, about once a week when it gets mid way through step 2 the server will just shutdown. It almost feels like a hardware problem but that it does not do it all the time. In fact it did it this last weekend and that was the first time it had done it in about 3-4 weeks.. but ...

Unable to Migrate Exchange 5.5 mail boxes to 2003 with the Migration Wizard
Hi, We are trying to migrate from and NT4 Domain with Exchange 5.5 to 2003/AD with Exchage 2003. We have the AD Domain set up. The NT4 Domain is still in place and on the same network, so our AD domain is similar but different (the "inc" has been dropped from the NetBIOS name). We have 2 Domain Controllers, and a brand new system to run Exchange 2003 on. It is clean, only has the OS and Exchange on it (we have problems when we get the critical updates. It seems linked to the exchange database going belly up, and we can't install exchange in the first place if the updates are ap...

Mailbox migration #5
Hi. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to migrate an exchange 2003 mailbox from an exchange server on one domain to an exchange server on another domain? Sure, 1. Create the new user on the other Exchange Infrastructure and create a mailbox for that user. 2. Use Exmerge to export the users current mailbox from Domain A to PST format. Follow this document to implement and use Exmerge: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/ExMerge-Recover-Mailbox.html 3. Then use Exmerge on Domain B to _import_ the PST file to your new user, ensuring you select 'merge'. All done, Hope that ...

Questions about Migrating from Outlook Express to Outlook
I'm thinking about migrating from OE 6 to Outlook 2003 and was wondering if I will lose my folder structures, rules, and address book by doing so. I also use Yahoo POPs for importing my Yahoo e-mails into OE. Will I need to reconfigure the Yahoo POPs to work with Outlook after the migration? Thanks in advance for your help! Spudy Not sure about the YahooPOPs thing but using Outlook's File menu > Import & Export command should get most of the data. You can also try exporting from OE. "Spudy" <spudy@spamless.com> wrote in message news:th1hd1ddvnto8he4fsv9mluf...

Migrating data from ACT to CRM (how to get at act! data)
I intend on using the DMF to migrate data to CRM. The question I have is how do I get at the underlying database that ACT uses. I see the MS excel file for ACT has table and field mappings but I need to do some specialized SQL. I can't seem to figure out though how to get into the SQL database where the ACT information is stored. How do I log into that database? Thanks! -Elie From my days working with ACT, I thought the databse was built around Microsoft Access. If indeed the databas is SQL then you should be able to get your SQL DBA to grant you access to the SQL Database. -- Rgds...

text in cell shows up as ####

upgrading to exchange 2003 07-09-04
Hello, We are upgrading to exchange 2003 from exchange 2000. What do we need to do to keep our crm 1.2 working? Thanks Might be necessary to re-install the CRM email router on the exchange server once you've completed the upgrade. >-----Original Message----- >Hello, > >We are upgrading to exchange 2003 from exchange 2000. >What do we need to do to keep our crm 1.2 working? > >Thanks >. > ok, thanks >-----Original Message----- >Might be necessary to re-install the CRM email router on >the exchange server once you've completed the upgrade. >...

SMTP account SMTP (EXCHANGE-{0A2AF96F-ADE3-4348-98AC.......
Inside the mailboxes folder of Exchange server, there is user called: SMTP (EXCHANGE-{0A2AF96F-ADE3-4348-98AC-5DD3568592C0}) I dont know what this is? Is this a system mailbox? If not, how did it get there and how can I get rid of it? The reason I ask is that , every few minutes, there is virus being sent to this mailbox, apparently from the "administrator". Very strange. any help will be appreciated. thanks, john I found the answer here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;252341 "john Smith" <smith@fakedomain.com> wrote in message new...

Exchange 5.5 migration
I have SBS NT4 1*PDC with Exch. 5.5 i need upradge to W2K with AC,DNS,Exch. 5.5. Its possible use Active Directory Migration Tool + install Active Drirectory Connector for transfer from PDC to W2K ? What is good idea ? Thanks in advance "Mig45" <mig45@volny.cz> wrote: >I have SBS NT4 1*PDC with Exch. 5.5 i need upradge to W2K with AC,DNS,Exch. >5.5. > >Its possible use Active Directory Migration Tool + install Active Drirectory >Connector for transfer from PDC to W2K ? > >What is good idea ? > > > >Thanks in advance > I think the bes...

Cant see Default Public Folders on New 2003 Exchange
Hi We have recently installed a new W2003 Exchange 2003 server into our domain. The domain already had an Exchange 2000 server installed. The default public folders on the Exchange 2000 machine can be seen under ESM and by Outlook clients. We have created an additional new public folder store on the new 2003 server, however, the default Public folders on the new 2003 server cant be seen by mapi clients ie Outlook. Additionally any folder created under the Public Folder tree on the 2003 server under Folders does not appear under the First Storage Group > Public Folder Store > Public Fol...