Is there a way to redirect only certain users folders?

I want to do a "test" redirect of folders before implementing it
fully.  Is there a way to just select a few users and redirect their
folders in SBS 2003?

Thanks,
Jim
0
jtpryan

Hi Jim:

Folder redirection is done by the Group Policy that applies to the OU where
the SBS stations are located.  But it is nothing more than a forced changing
of the My Documents location ot a location on the SBS (or some other place
if you change the GPO).

You can do the exact same thing from a user desktop.  Rclick the my documents
folder and change the path to some folder on the SBS or some other place.
 In SBS it is normally X:\users\username, but it could be any folder on the
server that the user has access to.

The next time that user logs on it will take some time to move all the documents.
 If there are GB of stuff in the my docs folder you may want to reduce it
some and them manually move the rest.

Or, for a test, you could move one or two users to a different OU and create
a special GPO, but be aware that the other GPO's will no longer apply.

-
Larry
Please post the resolution to your
issue so others may benefit
-
Get Your SBS Health Check at
www.sbsbpa.com

> I want to do a "test" redirect of folders before implementing it
> fully.  Is there a way to just select a few users and redirect their
> folders in SBS 2003?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

0
Larry
4/28/2010 5:32:37 PM
On Apr 28, 1:32=A0pm, Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] <lstruckme...@mis-
wizards.com> wrote:
> Hi Jim:
>
> Folder redirection is done by the Group Policy that applies to the OU whe=
re
> the SBS stations are located. =A0But it is nothing more than a forced cha=
nging
> of the My Documents location ot a location on the SBS (or some other plac=
> if you change the GPO).
>
> You can do the exact same thing from a user desktop. =A0Rclick the my doc=
uments
> folder and change the path to some folder on the SBS or some other place.
> =A0In SBS it is normally X:\users\username, but it could be any folder on=
 the
> server that the user has access to.
>
> The next time that user logs on it will take some time to move all the do=
cuments.
> =A0If there are GB of stuff in the my docs folder you may want to reduce =
it
> some and them manually move the rest.
>
> Or, for a test, you could move one or two users to a different OU and cre=
ate
> a special GPO, but be aware that the other GPO's will no longer apply.
>
> -
> Larry
> Please post the resolution to your
> issue so others may benefit
> -
> Get Your SBS Health Check atwww.sbsbpa.com
>

> > I want to do a "test" redirect of folders before implementing it
> > fully. =A0Is there a way to just select a few users and redirect their
> > folders in SBS 2003?
>
> > Thanks,
> > Jim

Ahhhh! Now I see!.  Thank you.  I have always approached this from
gpedit.msc, not via ADUC.  Very cool.

-Jim
0
jtpryan

Heads-up to users of "Bitdefender"
A simple heads-up to users of "bitdefender" http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/032010-bad-bitdefender-update-clobbers-windows.html -- Carmel Disclaimer: off-list followups get on-list replies or get ignored. Please do not ignore the Reply-To header. __________________________________________________________________ ...

Excel.Application User-define Error
In trying to solve a Access to Excel data linking problem from Microsoft's site http://support.microsoft.com/kb/904953 I am trying to run the example and it dies on Dim xlApp As Excel.ApplicationThe error message I get is "Compile error: User-defined type not defined." Is there something I need to add like a reference in order to get this to work?Mike You need to add a reference to Excel (through Tools | References while in the VB Editor). Personally, I prefer using Late Binding, since setting a reference then limits your application to only those users with the same ...

Preferred way to toggle BOOL?
I've used the ^ operator to toggle a BOOL value from 0 to 1 and back to 0. I encountered some code that used the ! operator, and I wondered if there was a preferred way, or if they were equivalent. I suppose the ! operator is clearer. Perhaps the generated object code is slightly smaller/faster with one or the other? IIRC, that was the justification for using the ^ operator, but my impression is that the optimizer can take care of that (minor/negligible) concern. I just used the debugger to step though the following code, and both seemed to work fine with MFC vc71. I didn't lo...

Error: "Unable to open your default e-mail folders. The microsoft exchange server is unavailable"
Hi: I have a user on our exchange 2003 sp1 system who is receiving the above error when trying to connect to his mailbox. He is able to connect in OWA. I gave myself rights on his mailbox and set up a new profile on my machine (xp, office 2003) and connected fine. I then logged in as his account on my machine, set up a profile and tried to open outlook and received the error above. Any ideas. Not seeing this exact error on the microsoft site or google groups. ...

CROSS-POST (also on General)
Hi, when I right-click in the folder list to create a new sub- folder I get an error: >>>> ERROR MSG >>>> Outlook can't read the registry information - Close and restart Outlook - Reinstall Outlook - Reinstall Microsoft Exchange or other e-mail system <<<< END <<<<< we have tried everything, including re-install of Office 2000. We have run this on Windows 2000 Professional.... please help if you have an answer thanks Philip When this error occurred on a Win XP machine (running Outlook 2002), I did a System Restore to fix it. If ...

Good Way to Start MFC Programming
Hi there, I'm pretty new with MFC and I was wanting to start off my project on a good foot, so I was wondering if there are any good MFC books out there for beginner/intermediate MFC programmers. and preferably one that also teaches how to take advantage of Visual Studio's features. Any of you guys have some good recommendations? Thanks, Nick If you are using VS 2008 with the MFC Feature pack there is a new Scribble tutorial that is quite good that showcases the new controls. Lots of people recommend Jeff Prosise's book "Programming Windows With MFC" as wel...

T-SQL query for finding shared user and team records
Hi all, I'm new to CRM and would appreciate any help. I need to find account records that record owners have shared to users or teams in CRM. I've found out that this requires direct query to filtered view tables. Microsoft responded as below by I need actual T-SQL query. Can anyone help with this? You would need to write a query against the PrincipalObjectAccess table and you would need to have joins to the other related tables. If you tried to have it all displayed using one query, it would be a pretty complex query. This is because you would need to join to the FilteredA...

System Volume Information folder
Hi Our Exchange Server 2003 SP2 is running on Windows Server 2003 SP1. Six weeks ago, the C drive has about 115GB free space. Now, it has about 15GB. This is rather unusual because the server has never consumed so much space so fast. I checked on various folders and found that the bulk of space used is in the System Volume Information folder. There are 7 files totalling 150GB. The filenames are 78{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} to 84{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752}. The first one dated 6/5/10 (which was 5 days ago). So, the server is either running pre...

How can I delete a address contact folder
I have 3 email accounts setup in Outlook Express. I am running XP. I noticed when I go to each Address Book in OExpress, there is a Shared Contacts folder and then a 2nd folder underneath that identity title (Candice Contact's). I do not need this folder, but when I right click on it, I get message Item Cannot be deleted. I only want to have 1 contact folder in Address Book labeled Shared Contacts, but each of my 3 identies has it's own contact folder underneath shared. Anyway I can delete these? This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the O...

User folder on desktop has a bad name
My name is Matteo (like User Name). Hence I had a User Folder on desktop named Matteo. Now it has a different name, but files inside are C:\Users\Matteo The wrong name is visible only on desktop How can I restore the correct name? "Allamarein" <matteo.diplomacy@gmail.com> wrote in message news:c9cd2878-a7ad-46c5-b802-a37c9d4f5b7a@d39g2000yqa.googlegroups.com... > My name is Matteo (like User Name). Hence I had a User Folder on > desktop named Matteo. Now it has a different name, but files inside > are C:\Users\Matteo The wrong name is visible only on deskto...

slow moving larger items between folders...
hello, i'm on exchange 5.5 and there are about 20 or so fairly large mail boxes. When moving messages containing attachments between folders in my mailbox, it takes ages! It takes about a minute to move a message of about 250k. It never used to be like this. I'm fairly sure this is a recent development. Any ideas as to why this has happened and how to solve it? Thanks Batfastad ...

Public folders stuck in Public Folder Instances
I'm trying my best to finish up this migration to Exchange 2007. I couldn't figure out how to use the PFMigrate tool to move public folders from Exchange 2003 to 2007, so I Right Clicked on the 2003 Public Folder Store and chose Move All Replicas. That was over 24 hours ago. I have about 180 public folders to move. The move for most of those folders took about 6 hours. However, I have 9 folders left in Public Folder Instances on the 2003 server that have been stuck there with the same KB size for the past 18 hours. They just don't seem to want to move. I've readded repli...

Forward misspelled names to user account if doman is correct.
Is it possible to catch for instance a misspelled name like moike@domain.com that should be mike@domain.com and forward it to another account? It should be able to pick up anything (like *@domain.com) and forward it to joe@domain.com. Thanks in advance. Mike Are you really sure that you want to do this? If so, you can take a look at the methods listed here. http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2003/08/exchange_catcha.html -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne "pakitloss" <pakitloss@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:24DB863D-49F5-457A-BA47-B7D26F422...

Is There A Way to Test if Global Catalog Functioning Correctly
Still dealing with some cleanup issues from a DC loss last week. The DC was a Global Catalog server. However, I *believe* we had another one in place. At least, there was a checked GC box under the NTDS properties. However, I was wondering if there is some sort of test to make sure a GC is available and functioning before I proceed with the metadata cleanup of the dead domain controller? Not that it matters much at this point, I suppose. Still, it would be nice to go into this feeling comfortable about having a GC available. Thanks Hello Mark, See the last part ...

Publisher 07 Default Folder
I have Publisher 2007, how do I set the startup folder to something other than "MyDocuments"? I edited the properties and set the "Start-in Directory" to the desired one, but when I launch Publisher and attempt to open a file, it goes right back to "MyDocuments" Thanks Charliec ****************************************************** Charliec Change the name of the My Documents folder Do the following in these 2007 Microsoft Office system programs: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, or Access Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Save As. InfoPath, Project, Pub...

Export public shared folder ?
Hello All, I can use the export wizard from File menu of Outlook to export folders, but I am not shown the public shared folders to export. How can I export contents of a public shared folder in outlook ? Imran. Copy the folder contents to a mailbox folder and export from there. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Imran Aziz" <imran@bindweb.com> wrote in message news:uJSDqHB9EHA.1084@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Hel...

User Activity window in GP 9
Hi! Does anyone know why GP removed the User Activity option under Tools-Setup-System in GP 9? How can you tell who's logged in the system without going to SQL Query Analyzer or Enterprise Mgr? Thanks -- Marisol Mortera Hi Marisol, Now found under Tools --> Utilities --> System Robert Marisol wrote: > Hi! > > Does anyone know why GP removed the User Activity option under > Tools-Setup-System in GP 9? How can you tell who's logged in the system > without going to SQL Query Analyzer or Enterprise Mgr? Thanks ...

User form problem
I have made a userform, which works great. However i have a problem. I would like the userform to only load up when the template file i opened. I do not want it to load when saved workbook copies of th template are opened. The system I am creating is an invoice system, and thus the loading o the userform is only necessary upon opening the template, not any othe files. Is this possible to do? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Z -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Zairn You can check the Len of the Thisworkbook.path in the Macro. A template have no path Sub test() I...

Sent Messages not being saved in sent folder
Hi. When I send a message, Outlook is no longer saving it in the sent folder. It was doing this until about a month ago. It does not matter if this is a new message or a reply to an old message. Anyone have any suggestions on how to correct this? Thanks Mike ...

User Deleted From Active Directory Still holds a License
Hi All, So along time ago a user was deleted from our Active Directory and she still holds a license. How do I free up her license. I have tried threw the front end but it gives me the error "make sure object exsists in the active directory." any ideas Mark See the answer above. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 16:09:03 -0800, "ACDMark" <ACDMark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Hi All, So along time ago a user was deleted from our Active Directory and she st...

Like criteria on a combo box ot working the way I want... Please help!
All, Below is a the standard code I use in a combo box. Dim rs As Object Set rs = Me.Recordset.Clone rs.FindFirst "[llListingID] = " & str(Nz(Me![cboTerritoryName], 0)) If Not rs.EOF Then Me.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark Me.Form.AllowAdditions = False The query used to find the data is... SELECT qryLister.llListingID, qryLister.llTerritoryName FROM qryLister WHERE (((qryLister.llTerritoryName) Like "*"+[Enter any part of Territory Name:]+"*")); All works fine for the first look-up. But in order to refresh the combo box so it allows one to &...

How to change owner (From:) of a public folder, newsgroup post
How do I change the Owner or From: for a newsgroup post. This is a post in an Exchange 2003 public folder of type newsgroup. The posts in question are from a generic user account and I need to change it to the specific user. I tried by opening the post, choosing Edit menu -> Revise Contents, and changing the From: to the new person. But it would not save, and if I reposted it would keep the original user (poster) in the From: field (and of course it also changed the post to the current date/time). I have tried this method, to no avail, using the original user, and two different a...

Is there a way to put html code in title attribute in xsl? thanks!
I need put some html code into title attribute of A tag, so that user could see html when they move mouse over the link, I think this isn't a standard use, but it does work. The problem is how can I prevent the xsl transfer the html when it does the transformation. I would like something like <A title="<b>test</b>"> but I end up with <A title="&lt;b&gt;test&lt;/b&gt;"> Any idea? Thanks! david wrote: > I need put some html code into title attribute of A tag, so that user could > see html when they move mouse over the lin...

Unable to connect to other users mailbox
Hello, I’ve just added a second exchange server to our Org, and found that users on the new server can not open mailboxes on the old server after I moved their mailbox, which they were able to do before the migration. It’s been 2 days now so I know AD replication is not the issue. When someone attempts to open a mailbox on the old server, Outlook (2003) throws the error: “Unable to display the folder. The information store could not be opened.” I have read article 830830 from the knowledge base. I did not follow the instructions because the msExchMailboxSecurityDescriptor attribute exi...

Word default paper size- networked user accounts
Word 2004- processors various, OS 10.5 How do I get Word to default to A4 (instead of US letter) for networked accounts? Hi Jeremy: The succinct answer to this is "By ensuring that your operating system locality preferences are set correctly before you install." Microsoft Office picks up all its global settings from the "Language and Text" system preferences in OS 10.6 (I think they were called something else in 10.5). If this has been done wrongly at installation, you need to set the System Preferences correctly and then delete the individual user's...