installing Windows Server SP2 onto SBS 2003 SP1

I have SBS 2003 SP1.  I have been keeping up with all the windows updates for
this machine and would like to update the machine to SP2.

I had heard that if you try to update the SBS 2003 SP1 server to SP2, you
need to unload a lot of the updates issued after the SP2 was submitted.  Is
this true?

Hi Carl,

This hasn't been my experience.  And there is no SBS 2003 SP2.  It's Windows
2003 SP2 installed on top of SBS 2003 SP1 (which already has Win2003 SP1
installed).

Run the SBS 2003 BPA prior to the install of Win2003 SP2 to make sure you
don't have an issues with the existing server.  Then install Win2003 SP2.
Then run SBS 2003 BPA again and perform any recommendation it makes or clean
up any problems it finds.

SBS 2003 BPA
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=3874527A-DE19-49BB-800F-352F3B6F2922&displaylang=en

--
Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
============================
"Carl Gross" <CarlGross@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have SBS 2003 SP1.  I have been keeping up with all the windows updates
> for
> this machine and would like to update the machine to SP2.
>
> I had heard that if you try to update the SBS 2003 SP1 server to SP2, you
> need to unload a lot of the updates issued after the SP2 was submitted.
> Is
> this true?

0
Merv
2/3/2010 7:40:13 PM
Carl:

Read through this article and determine if the fix therein may pertain to
your situation.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940276

-
Larry
Please post the resolution to your
issue so others may benefit
-
Get Your SBS Health Check at
www.sbsbpa.com

> I have SBS 2003 SP1.  I have been keeping up with all the windows
> updates for this machine and would like to update the machine to SP2.
>
> I had heard that if you try to update the SBS 2003 SP1 server to SP2,
> you need to unload a lot of the updates issued after the SP2 was
> submitted.  Is this true?

0
Larry

Recover Deleted Items Outlook 2003
I can't get the DumpsterAlywaysOn trick to work in Outlook 2003. Is there a different way of implementing this in the newer version? Thanks, Patrick are you certain you did not make the same typo in the registry key that you made in this post? that key has always worked for me... "PatricK" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ad3601c4369d$f8c98be0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I can't get the DumpsterAlywaysOn trick to work in > Outlook 2003. Is there a different way of implementing > this in the newer version? > > Thanks, > Patric...

Outlook 2003 "Reply to All" not functioning
I have a particular end-user (User 1) who is receiving e-mails from another end-user (User 2) within the same Exchange 2003 domain. The problem is the following: User 1 receives an e-mail from User 2, User 1 is CCed in this message from User 2. User 1 wants to "Reply to All," however, User 2 does not show up whenever "Reply to All" is clicked in any of the address fields of the replying message. Both users are on Exchange 2003. User 1 is using Outlook 2003, while User 2 is using both Outlook 2003 and OWA 2003. This issue also occurs with User 2 whenever an external end-u...

Winmail.dat problem with SBS 2003..and yes i have read the other wiinmail posts
Ok, so I have read thru all the winmail.dat posts in this group and the outlook group, problem is most of them are geared towards ex 5.5. Well I have sbs 2003 and I have one user in my entire company that can not send a excell spreadsheet to one recp. without outlook 2003 i converting into a winmail.dat. I have tryed everyhting I can think of. I reinstalled outlook. I have sett all the options to send as plain text globally and for that contact that gets the winmail.dat files. I have been working on this for a while, but I do believe I checked the setting on exchange to allow the user to ch...

Outlook 2003
More than 50% of my contacts do not have email addresses, so it therefore clutters the Address book unnecessarily. Is there anyway to allow the address book (the popup which appears when clicking on "To:") to only show contacts that have email addresses? I can use categories to assign contacts as ValidEmailUser, but I can't seem to find a way to force the address book popup form, to show based on a category. Thanks. That's odd. I have never seen the Outlook Address Book display Contacts without electronic addresses. It simply won't do that. Do these Contacts ...

CRM 3.0 Install Problems
We're trying to upgrade a dev instance of CRM 1.2 to 3.0. It gets partway through the installation before it fails, giving this error message: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.InstallDatabaseAction failed. Execution of a full-text operation failed. The parameter is incorrect. Looking at the log, it looks like this is where it fails: 15:00:38| Info| Disable full-text indexing 15:00:44| Error| Install exception.System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.InstallDatabaseAction failed. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Execution of a full-text operation failed....

website configuration on SBS
I've read the posts on issues with CRM & the default website in SBS 2003. I could use some input on how best to set up my server: Criteria * Clean install of SBS2003 & CRM. * CRM not in default web-site. * Single public IP address. (Second might be an option if necessary) * SSL required for OWA & CRM. Thanks in advance for any thoughts on how to best set this up. tks, Brandon I have read several posts indicating that the two are not supported and will not go together on the same box. However some did suggest to use of Host Headers in IIS to create unique sites and hence ...

Exchange Server 2007 Public Folders Permission issue
We have a consultants folder with over a hundred sub folders. Is there any way to propagate the permissions down to all the sub folders? Get-PublicFolder \<Parent_Folder_Tree>\Consultants -Recurse | Add-PublicFolderClientPermission -AccessRights <see_help_for_optoins> -User <Domain\User> -- Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems." .. "Stuart Reicher" <StuartReicher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DF14A00D-D9E6-486D-9237-C7ED652524F5@microsoft.com... > We have a cons...

Error while opening GP windows from BP
Hi all . I am getting an issue when we click 'Create Journal entries' item in the Financial Back Office Tasks webpart in Business Port4.0. "null-CWTSSession.openCannes:'oWTS' is null or not an object" I done a Terminal Server Setups as per the BP installation Document. Version Details : GP10.0,BP4.0,MOSS 2007 Note : I am getting this even for Administrator Login Regards Sunny Hi Sunny, A simple troublshooting steps: 1. Ensure that you can remotely access the server (where BP is installed) via Remote Desktop Connection (RDP). This will ...

Exchange server unreachable after being moved
Hello, people. I hope you could help me with this issue. We have two Exchange 2003 servers (A and B) in our organization. The server A is the main server and as it was needed, server B was added in the same Administrative group in the same site. But the last server (B) was ment to inhabit in another country, so this server was sent to my coutry. Now they both keep a constant communication via VPN. The problem is that since de the server is here, only internal message can be delivered (among mailboxes in this server) but not messages between servers (I mean, a message sent from a mail...

Port 25 telnet on Exchange 2K3 servers
Hi, Installed 3 new Exchange 2K3 SP2 for a client the other day, but unable to telnet to port 25, even on the servers them selves... the servers are 2 Enterprise & 1 standard 2K3 SP2, they also have Mcafee Antivirus ( file level with Exchange folder exclusion ) and Mcafee GroupShield on them... Curiously all email functions are ok, able to send and receive internally and to Internet, just not able to telnet to port 25 on any servers... If I add another port to the SMTP VS, then able to telnet that port, but not 25, so I think one of the Anti-virus programs is stopping port 25... ...

Publisher installer runs when I try to open a pdf file
I have installed and are successfully running Publisher 2003. I also have Adobe Acrobat 6.0 installed. When I try to open a pdf file, the Publisher installer runs and is trying to reinstall publisher. Any ideas? Thanks -- LS Do you have all the updates for Publisher? Office has two service packs. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/Browse.aspx?displaylang=en&productID=4289AE77-4CBA-4A75-86F3-9FF96F68E491 Have you updated Acrobat to 6.0.4? http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=1&platform=Windows Have you tried a detect and repair on both these products? --...

Running ESEUTIL on a Exchange 2003
I don't have the necessary disk drive space on my C: drive but I do have it on my drive M: which is attached to the SAN. Do I need to copy the following files: Eseutil.exe, Ese.dll, Jcb.dll, Exosal.dll, and Exchmem.dll (this is what it says in 244525 for exchange 2000, is it still the same for Exchange? Or can I just run it the utility from C: and will it create the temp files on the drive where the store is located? -- Eric Sabo NT Administrator Are you trying to run a defrag? If so, you can use the /t switch to specify where to create the temp files. Example: c:\program fil...

Where is the strikethrough in Publisher 2000, 2003, 2007???
I have tried several versions of Publisher and none have strikethrough as an available style of font. I hate to say it but my end users are not savvy enough to want or are able to draw a line down the middle of every sentence of a paragraph. Why has this been an oversight in publisher for so long? Microsoft PLEASE give me strikethrough in publisher! Is it there and just hidden? On a side note, anyone know of any strikethrough fonts that I could use in publisher? Know how to make one? There is no strikethrough option in Publisher. We just draw a line where we want it and group it ...

error message exiting outlook 2003
On exiting Outlook 2003, I get a message that says "The instruction at 0x7c910f2b referenced memory at 0x0bcd5c4c. The memory could not be read" Any ideas? -- ------------------------------------------------------------------------- FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM! Download Spam Inspector, the Award Winning Anti-Spam Filter http://mail.giantcompany.com Does this also happen when you disable your add-ins? What is logged to the Event Viewer regarding this? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Offic...

Outlook Rules not working with new Exchange Server
We recently (last week) upgraded our Exchange 5.5 server with a new machine running Exchange 2003. Since that change, a few clients who use Outlook Rules to forward messages to other email addresses have noticed that those messages are no longer being delivered. We have clients using Outlook 2000 and some using 2003 - it doesn't seem to matter which version of Outlook that's being used. The rules work just fine for placing specific messages into specific folders, but anytime that a message is supposed to be forwarded to an outside email address, it is never delivered. Any ide...

OWA problem on front-end server
I'm currently running Exchange 2003 over Windows 2000 SP4 with a front-end server handling all the OWA and SSL. I've foung that any email ending with ..EML as opposed to .EML (note the extra dot) gets a 404 page not found. However if I log into OWA on a backend server the same email with the ..EML opens no problem. If anyone has some insight into this problem I'd be greatly appreciated. Take a look at: 320089 XCCC: The URLScan Utility Does Not Allow You to Open Messages in OWA http://support.microsoft.com/?id=320089 Thanks, Richard Roddy Microsoft Exchange Support This...

Outlook 2003 #147
When sending an Email, I would like to send a copy to a folder (Not sent items) in the address field has any one seen this one? ...

Outlook 2003 SP2
Hi Is there any way I can set a user defined field to show the date (and time) I read a particular email? Lou Lou, you wrote on Tue, 2 Oct 2007 18:16:50 +1000: > Is there any way I can set a user defined field to show the date (and time) > I read a particular email? No. BTW: SP3 for Office 2003 has been released: http://tinyurl.com/mb2dj -- Best Regards Christian Goeller http://www.outlookfaq.net You can expose the replied to time (http://www.slipstick.com/exs/customfields.htm) but I don't know if you can expose a read time. Modified time won't work because marki...

Create Outlook 2003 Rule using 'Or' operator in 'Sent to' condition
How do I create a rule that uses the 'or' operator in the 'sent to' condition? I actually have a rule like this, but don't know how I created it. In other rules, when I try to add more that one email address or group in 'sent to,' Outlook inserts the 'and' operator. What is the exact rule in full? In general you'd create additional rules but it depends a bit on the condition or action that you are using. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins ...

Outlook 2003 AutoArchive Deletes emails
1000+ users on our domains have been having an issue where they run AutoArchive and a large number of their non-expired emails are moved to the Deleted Items folder of their Personal Folder File (or, if one doesn't exist, one is created on their hard drive) and the items in the Deleted Items folder of their PFF are deleted completely and must be recovered. After that point, any items placed in the PFF under Inbox will be sucked into Deleted Items in the Archive/PFF each time. We have checked the settings on 10+ machines and the only way to prevent this problem from occuring is to manuall...

Mailbox fails to move
I am getting the following error: Source: MSExchangeAdmin Event ID: 9172 Description: Failed to copy messages to the destination mailbox store. Error: An unknown error has occurred. It looks like all the message gets moved it it why towards the end when it fails. I can access this mailbox just fine using Outlook 2003. Why can it not be moved? Is it a rule that is causing the problem? The redirect says to use MDBVU32 to find the bad messages. How does one tell which messages are causing the problem? I searched the premier site ...

Intergration between Project 2007 and outlook 2003
Please help.... I am running MS Project 2007 (not server) and outlook 2003. Is there way (or a program someone can reccomend) to intergrate the tasks ect between the two pieces of software? Thanks This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0024_01CA99B8.95E55F70 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi Yoni, Welcome to this Microsoft Project newsgroup :) There is no way within Project, and I don't know of product that does. = You might like to peruse the Companions Page of the M...

LDAP lookup not working with Outlook 2003
I have recently upgraded to Outlook 2003 and notice that I could no longer resolve names via the LDAP server. I get always get a message that there are too many matches in the Internet Directory. This does not occur with Outlook 2002 or Outlook Express. With these two applications, the name is always resolved in less that 20 seconds. Any ideas? Try a new mail profile. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching google.groups...

Opening Pub 2003 Files in Pub 2000
I created a booklet in Publisher 2003 for my sons school. Put the file on disk for them and they can not open the file. They have Publisher 2000. The school will need to edit the file. What can we do so they will be able to open and edit the file? Not a good idea but... File Save As and change the file type. Your file size will grow and may not be the same as what you've created. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "tntsmith4322" <tntsmith4322@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3FACCB1E-D42D-43F7-99C8-452AECA6D992@microsoft.com... >...

Windows Resizing
Hello, I have a DLL app that contains a dialog and inside a dialog there is a CWebBrowser2 control. I am trying to make CWebBrowser2 get maximized together with the Dialog so when a user maximizes dialog CWebBroswer2's width and height are changed with Dialog's width and height. Does anybody know how to make it work? Thank you, Victor. Catch the WM_SIZE message in your dialog (This message gets called when the user is changing the size of the dialog box) and change the size of the control accordingly. AliR. "victorsk" <victorsk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrot...