How to add/remove printers using group policy

I'm the Accidental IT admin for my church. The previous admin used Group
Policy to add the wrong printer to all our PCs. The staff would like it
removed permanently (it comes back every time they log on). I'm very
unfamiliar with the group policy editor. Can any of you give me any tips on
how to do this using gpedit?

Our system consists of an SBS 2008 server, a Win 2008 server (running SQL),
and a mix of Win XP Pro, Vista Pro and Win 7 Pro clients.

Things that (I think) that I specifically need to know include:

- "gpedit" is the correct command to run?
- Where do I look for the group policy file?
- Where do I go to configure printers?

While I'm at it, where in group policy do I set ...
- Always show extensions
- Never run the Desktop Cleanup Wizard

Thank you
Brian Bygland
Accidental Admin
Kent UMC

0
BrianB

I don't say this to be cruel or seem uninterested in helping, but I think it
is inadviseable to try and fix this yourself even with assistance from this
group.  Group Policies are *very* powerful and seemingly minor changes can
have drastic consequences.  If you are going to be adminstering this
network, you should do two things:

1) Get a some good books on windows, group policy, and systems
administration.  IF this is an SBS server, get an SBS specific book as well.
2) Form a relationship with an SBS expert.  They can help you with these
situations and you can learn a great deal from them by looking over their
shoulder.  Administering a box is a great responsibility and you can't
expect to do it all yourself. Nobody can.  Networking (the people kind, not
the computer kind) is a strategic asset in this business that is given far
too little credit.

Probably not the answer you wanted, but I hope that helps.  Don't try to fix
this yourself.  Get someone who knows GP and can help you.

-Cliff

"BrianB" <brian.notthis.bygland@boeing.notthis.com> wrote in message
> I'm the Accidental IT admin for my church. The previous admin used Group
> Policy to add the wrong printer to all our PCs. The staff would like it
> removed permanently (it comes back every time they log on). I'm very
> unfamiliar with the group policy editor. Can any of you give me any tips
> on how to do this using gpedit?
>
> Our system consists of an SBS 2008 server, a Win 2008 server (running
> SQL), and a mix of Win XP Pro, Vista Pro and Win 7 Pro clients.
>
> Things that (I think) that I specifically need to know include:
>
> - "gpedit" is the correct command to run?
> - Where do I look for the group policy file?
> - Where do I go to configure printers?
>
> While I'm at it, where in group policy do I set ...
> - Always show extensions
> - Never run the Desktop Cleanup Wizard
>
> Thank you
> Brian Bygland
> Accidental Admin
> Kent UMC

0
Cliff
1/14/2010 12:46:26 AM
Hello Brian,

Thanks for your post and Cliff's input.

As best practice as Cliff indicated, Group Policy is the most commonly used and important and powerful tool for a domain Administrator to deploy AD resources. In addition,
here I found some related articles about deploying printers in AD domain by using Group Policy, for your reference:

Print Management Step-by-Step Guide
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753109(WS.10).aspx

Step-by-Step Guide for Print Management
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755424(WS.10).aspx#BKMK_DeployingPrinters

Deploy printers by using Group Policy
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722179(WS.10).aspx

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Robbin Meng(MSFT)
Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support

Please post your SBS 2008 related questions to the SBS newsgroup on Connect website:
https://connect.microsoft.com/sbs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx

Please post your EBS related questions to the EBS newsgroup on Connect website:
https://connect.microsoft.com/ebs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx

If you want to use a newsreader other than a web forum to access these newsgroups,
please refer to the following blog to apply NNTP password and configure a newsreader:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2008/11/02/signing-up-for-the-sbs-2008-newsgroups.aspx

Thank you Cliff and Robin. I agree completely that this is something that
the uninitiated and untrained would be better to not touch. But I have no
budget to hire anyone and no one at my church has volunteered any
experience. I'm stuck with it. We have SBS 2008.

Books are good. What books would you recommend?

I'm trying to find someone to network with, but so far they're all either
playing Sergeant Schultz (I know nothing) or they're on par with me. I am
trying to get in touch with the previous admin, but he's current off
somewhere.

Thank you for the links below. I'd rather study too much before trying
anything than make mistakes. (Yes we do make backups, and we have tested
restoring a backup successfully.)

Brian

""Robbin Meng [MSFT]"" <v-robmen@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Hello Brian,
>
> Thanks for your post and Cliff's input.
>
> As best practice as Cliff indicated, Group Policy is the most commonly
> used and important and powerful tool for a domain Administrator to deploy
> AD resources. In addition,
> here I found some related articles about deploying printers in AD domain
> by using Group Policy, for your reference:
>
> Print Management Step-by-Step Guide
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753109(WS.10).aspx
>
> Step-by-Step Guide for Print Management
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755424(WS.10).aspx#BKMK_DeployingPrinters
>
> Deploy printers by using Group Policy
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722179(WS.10).aspx
>
> Hope this helps.
>

> Best regards,
> Robbin Meng(MSFT)
> Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support

> Please post your SBS 2008 related questions to the SBS newsgroup on
> Connect website:
> https://connect.microsoft.com/sbs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx
>
> Please post your EBS related questions to the EBS newsgroup on Connect
> website:
> https://connect.microsoft.com/ebs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx
>
> If you want to use a newsreader other than a web forum to access these
> newsgroups,
> please refer to the following blog to apply NNTP password and configure a
> newsreader:
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2008/11/02/signing-up-for-the-sbs-2008-newsgroups.aspx
> rights.

BrianB
1/16/2010 1:45:03 AM
For SBS in general, I like Charlie Russel's book.

For a more in-depth look at group policy, including deploying printers with
group policy preferences and some other great ideas for standardizing and
securing client machines, Jeremy Moskowitz has written a pair of books
designed to complement each other.

> Thank you Cliff and Robin. I agree completely that this is something that
> the uninitiated and untrained would be better to not touch. But I have no
> budget to hire anyone and no one at my church has volunteered any
> experience. I'm stuck with it. We have SBS 2008.
>
> Books are good. What books would you recommend?
>
> I'm trying to find someone to network with, but so far they're all either
> playing Sergeant Schultz (I know nothing) or they're on par with me. I am
> trying to get in touch with the previous admin, but he's current off
> somewhere.
>
> Thank you for the links below. I'd rather study too much before trying
> anything than make mistakes. (Yes we do make backups, and we have tested
> restoring a backup successfully.)
>
> Brian
>
> ""Robbin Meng [MSFT]"" <v-robmen@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Hello Brian,
>>
>> Thanks for your post and Cliff's input.
>>
>> As best practice as Cliff indicated, Group Policy is the most commonly
>> used and important and powerful tool for a domain Administrator to deploy
>> AD resources. In addition,
>> here I found some related articles about deploying printers in AD domain
>> by using Group Policy, for your reference:
>>
>> Print Management Step-by-Step Guide
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753109(WS.10).aspx
>>
>> Step-by-Step Guide for Print Management
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755424(WS.10).aspx#BKMK_DeployingPrinters
>>
>> Deploy printers by using Group Policy
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722179(WS.10).aspx
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>

>> Best regards,
>> Robbin Meng(MSFT)
>> Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support
>>
>> ==================================================================
>> Please post your SBS 2008 related questions to the SBS newsgroup on
>> Connect website:
>> https://connect.microsoft.com/sbs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx
>>
>> Please post your EBS related questions to the EBS newsgroup on Connect
>> website:
>> https://connect.microsoft.com/ebs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx
>>
>> If you want to use a newsreader other than a web forum to access these
>> newsgroups,
>> please refer to the following blog to apply NNTP password and configure a
>> newsreader:
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2008/11/02/signing-up-for-the-sbs-2008-newsgroups.aspx
>> ==================================================================
>> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
>> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
>> ==================================================================
>> rights.
>> ==================================================================

0
Cliff
1/16/2010 4:22:27 PM
Hi Brian,

Here is the book Cliff(and I) recommend:

Windows Small Business Server 2008 Administrator's Companion
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/book.aspx?ID=6944&locale=en-us

Some other SBS 2008 resource  just for your reference:

Downloadable documentation for Windows Small Business Server 2008
<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc707659.aspx>

SBS 2008 training links (revised)
http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2008/08/27/sbs-2008-training-links-revised.aspx

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Robbin Meng(MSFT)
Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support

Please post your SBS 2008 related questions to the SBS newsgroup on Connect website:
https://connect.microsoft.com/sbs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx

Please post your EBS related questions to the EBS newsgroup on Connect website:
https://connect.microsoft.com/ebs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx

If you want to use a newsreader other than a web forum to access these newsgroups,
please refer to the following blog to apply NNTP password and configure a newsreader:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2008/11/02/signing-up-for-the-sbs-2008-newsgroups.aspx

groupe sur maternit� 01-14-10
je cherche des infos sur la maternit� d auxerre! quelqu'un a des infos ? "Aline Pinchon" <aline.pinchon@laposte.net> wrote in message news:uZy5Jd4nKHA.4436@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > je cherche des infos sur la maternit� d auxerre! quelqu'un a des infos ? > "jovanovic violeta" <violeta@san.com> wrote in message news:uJy15z1qKHA.5036@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > > "Aline Pinchon" <aline.pinchon@laposte.net> wrote in message > news:uZy5Jd4nKHA.4436@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >> je cherche des infos...

Use Cached Exchange Mode is "greyed out"
When using Outlook 2003 & Windows 2003 Terminal services the option for Use Cached Exchange Mode is "greyed out" even logged in as Administrator. Any Help Thanks Bill I don't believe it works on TS. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] http://www.poremsky.com - http://www.cdolive.com Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Expert Zone http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone Search for answers: http://groups.google.com Most recent posts to the Outlook newsgroups: http://groups.google.com/groups?as_ugroup=microsoft.public.outlook.*&num=30 "RX Bill"...

Good uses for triggers?
What are some [good/useful] was to use triggers? I need concrete examples so I can evaluate my reasons for using triggers. So far, I have 2 of them: 1. Return all of, or part of the resultset that was modified (insert/delete tables). 2. Automatically modify a column, or set of columns whenever an action on the table takes place. Right now, it is the well known cookie cutter "last updated/modified timestamp" example. Is there any other typical examples/reasons to use them? Andy I have been trying to avoiud using triggers as much as I can. However triggeers ha...

How do I change the color of the drop down arrow when using the a.
How do I change the color of the drop down arrow when using the autofilter option in Excel 2000. You don't. You could use a different Theme in Windows>Display>Appearance but that would affect all applications. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 14:42:26 -0800, "SouthBay588" <SouthBay588@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do I change the color of the drop down arrow when using the autofilter >option in Excel 2000. Interesting question. But what is wrong with the default color? What is the use of getting another color? Just a matter of esthet...

Printing to different printers
I would like to have the sheets of my workbook print to differen printers, with out having to switch printers under file printer. I there a way for this to be done -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Record a macro when you do it manually one time. then when you need it again, run that macro. "pboost1 <" wrote: > > I would like to have the sheets of my workbook print to different > printers, with out having to switch printers under file printer. IS > there a way for this to be done? > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/...

using Access Data
I have a slight problem with Charts in Excel & Access. I'm creating charts that can use up to 50,000 data points (if not more) and in Excel there is significant lag time (up to 2 minutes just to rescale an axis or change the title). I decided to try and use Access to organize the data, but creating a chart in Access is a pain because there is a 4000 data point limit per series (really stupid). My question is: Is there a way to link the data from Access to an Excel chart without importing the data (importing would just cause my initial problem)? I do know some basic...

Using this News Group
I would appreciate it if someone could tell me if I have a setup problem on my computer or there is sometimes a problem with this news group when I access it IE7. After I sign in and see an item that I want to reply to, I press on reply. After I clicked on the reply sometimes the window pos up and I am all set to reply the way I expect other times I get no response or I just get the same message that I was looking at. Anyone else experiencing this issue? "neil154" <neil154@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A345E68D-C3B9-4FD8-8211-CACE1374C389@microso...

Remove Unwanted Categories in Mobile Outlook
Hi, I'm using Outlook 2007 and also WM 6.5. I did a sync with my WM6.5 and also OL07, thereafter I realised that there're several Categories in the Mobile Outlook that I do not want. I can't delete them from the WM and was told that I need to do it from OL07. May I know how to do this? The Categories that I do not want appears in my OL07 as "Not in the master list" Currently there're no more calendar entries marked under these categories. Please advice. Thank you. izaac. use the group by category view, go to the category groups you want to...

can i use filters to compare data instead of vlookup?
I have to compare membership lists to identify if customers belong to certain groups. Currently, I have been using Vlookup but I notice that there are too many nuisances. Could I use a filter to compare two membership lists and give me a more accurate answer? Maybe try setting up a new sheet with List1, and entering a new column indicating List1 in each row......then adding List 2 at the bottom and entering List2 in the new column for each row in that section............then do Data > Filter > AutoFilter and check the arrows at the tops of the columns to filter from there...........

Import text file using a wildcard
I am running the following code to import all text files that all start with the same 12 characters: ' Set the parameters to import the text file If Right(Me!txtFilePath, 1) = "\" Then strPath = \\mdb8\Global Else strPath = \\mdb8\Global& "\" End If strFileName = "GlobalImport*.txt" If FileExists(strPath & strFileName) = False Then msgbox "File " & strPath & strFileName & " Does not exist!", vbCritical + vbOKOnly, "No File..." GoTo ExitImpor...

Removing custom menu for macros
I inadvertently created a couple of custom menus for macros and need to know the steps to eliminate them from the toolbar. Thanks in advance for any direction on this matter. Brad Choose Tools/Customize and drag them off the toolbar. In article <OJbP8RSLEHA.3216@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, "Brad Reid" <lreid@flash.net> wrote: > I inadvertently created a couple of custom menus for macros and need to know > the steps to eliminate them from the toolbar. Thanks in advance for any > direction on this matter. Brad JE, it seems to work -- dragging them off the too...

Outlook 98 duplicates needing removed
After nearly an hour of searching I am stumped. I have just reformatted my PC and have reinstalled Outlook 98. I then changed PST file locations to where I have mine stored and when I reopened OL98, I have many many duplicate emails. Is there an easy way for me to get rid of them without going through them one by one. I tried MapiLab but they only have Duplicate Email Remover for v2000 and up IRC. Many thanks To remove extra PST(s) from the folder list: Outlook 97 or Outlook 98/2000 (Corporate Mode) - On the Tools menu, click Services. - Highlight Personal Folders service you want to rem...

Using the IF function
Ok I have A1 as test, A2:9 as blah, A10 as test and A11:A20 as blah so it looks like this test blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah test blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah What I want to do is make A1 so that IF(A1=???Any of cells A2:20??? then it becomes the same format as A1 is that possible -- fluc ----------------------------------------------------------------------- fluci's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2589 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39291 You'd need a macro. A formul...

Auto Save Add in
Does anyone know where I can get AUTOSAVE.XLA Which is the auto save add in from earlier versions. I am on 2003 know and it does not have that add in. Hi a repost from Dave Peterson: ------ Short descriptions: Autosave (an addin in xl versions before xl2002), the workbook gets saved at user selectable intervals (just like a manual save). (If you're running xl2002+, then if you can find a copy of autosave, it'll work with that version, too.) xl2002+ has a feature called autorecovery. It's used to catch catestrophic events (excel/windows crashing). But it won't help if you...

Average a group of tests for grade, some tests not taken by all.
I have a sheet with (L to R) student name, number right each test, total right, average percentage, letter grade. After the names the row has question number at bottom which are added up at the end of the row. Total right are divided by total questions. The problem arises when a student does not take a test. The blank cell is, in effect, like a zero on a test, as that student's total is still divided by total questions, giving the wrong grade (see Fred, who missed the second test). Sorry for the long length. John 10 9 12 31 97% A Fred 10 10 20 63% F Total10 10 12 32 100...

server folder missing unde first afministrative group
Hi, I have a customer whose office mgr was looking around in ESM and now the server folder under First Administrative Group is missing. How can we bring it back? Exchange still seems to be running, however. Thanks, Joseph Right-Click The org in the ESM/Properties and check the "Display Administrative Groups" checkbox. On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 09:19:04 -0800, "j007w" <j007w@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I have a customer whose office mgr was looking around in ESM and now the >server folder under First Administrative Group is missing. How can...

Applying recipient policies
I'm posting this from an earlier thread that I think got lost in the shuffle "Andy David - Exchange MVP" wrote: > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:45:04 -0700, Equilar Tech > <techinfo@equilar.com.(donotspam)> wrote: > > >Does anyone know if it is possible to configure Exchange Server 2003 Standard > >Edition to delete any emails in a mailbox (not just in the Deleted Items > >folder, but also in any other folder) if it's older than X days. My company > >would like to implement a policy where we delete all emails older than 90 > >days,...

"undeliverable" error when sending from distribution group
Hi guys! I'm running Exchange 2003 server. Here's the problem: I have a user "A" who is a member of a distribution group called "B". The user can receive all e-mails addresed to the group "B" but when he tries to send e-mail on behalf of that group he receives e-mail stating "You do not have permission to send to this recipient". I've checked security permissions on the group "B" - user "A" has full control over it. What can be done to resolve this problem? Thanks! Hi Igors, only "Send As" permission is...

Send as group
Hello there, Can anybody tell me how to allow a user to Send As a security/distribution group? After this action the user should be able to use the From-field in Outlook an put in the group name, like support@domain.com. This way any replies will return to the group, not the individual user. PLEASE HELP ME OUT! BTW - Exchange 2000, W2K AD. Thanx in advance! Jakob ...

use XmlDataDocument load from an URL with username password
I have a piece of code to read a xml file from the web and put it into a variable in SSIS, but i don't know how to get it if it's username and password protected: URL = "http://www.mysite.com/setup.xml" xmlDoc = New XmlDataDocument xmlDoc.Load(URL) Anyone can help me? you need to specify an XmlResovler and add the necessary credentials to it. XmlUrlResolver oXmlUrlResolver = new XmlUrlResolver(); oXmlUrlResolver.Credentials = CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials; URL = "http://www.mysite.com/setup.xml" xmlDoc = New XmlDataDocument xmlDoc....

Outlook 2000 Backup Add-In Problem
I'm having trouble with the Outlook 2000 Backup Add-In.. On clicking File/Backup and exiting Outlook I get "Cannot copy Outlook. Access is denied, the source file may be in use." I've done searches on Google and eliminated every possible process that might possibly have a hold on Outlook.. Namely the Nokia connection manager which syncs a Phone w/Outlook. No luck. I eliminated every process Windows would allow me to kill. No luck. I've rebooted without the Nokia Connection Wizard booted. (X-ed it out in the registry on CurrentVersion/Run) No luck. So Outlook wo...

How do I use Access 2007 VBA to print external pdf files?
Ideally, I'd like to use an Access form to open the pdfs, print them and then close Adobe Reader or whatever program is used to do the print job. On Fri, 28 May 2010 09:43:20 -0700, "LA Lawyer" <hkapp@kapplaw.com> wrote: You can use the ShellExecute API with the Print verb (the lpOperation argument). That's what Windows uses when you drop a PDF document on a Printer. Check out this article: http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0018.htm -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >Ideally, I'd like to use an Access form to open the pdfs, print them and >...

Alter table Add column to merge publication
We are currently on SQL Server 2008 and I would like to add a column to a table that exists in our merge replication. Below is what I ran in our test environment Alter Table TableName Add ColumnNameTypeID uniqueidentifier Null The column was added, but the Default value or Binding was set to NewID() and the RowGuid property was set to Yes. I would like the Default value or Binding not set to anything and the RowGuid set to No. Is there a way to do this using the Alter Table command? The new column added is a FK to another table. I am thinking after the column is adde...

Add "Last X" values to the DUE picklist on the Activities View
On the Activities View in CRM 3.0 and 4.0 there is only the ability to select "Next X" values in the Due: pickllist. This applies when viewing Open and Closed activities. Having only forward looking Due: choices for closed/historical activites adds no value and forces the user to create an Advanced Find query each time their researching historical activity. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do n...

How to add a leading space to an existing text field?
I have 2 columns of data that I want to concatenate, however, I need a space to separate the second column for readability. Example: column 1 (100) column 2 (n. baker st.) - result: 100 n. baker st. Excel 2007 =a1&" "&b1 If you ever decide you want to format the number (like a date or money or time): ="Your payment is due on: " & text(a1,"mmmm dd, yyyy") & ". Please include: " & text(b1,"$#,##0.00") & " payable to the IRS." richprince wrote: > > I have 2 columns of data that I wan...