File Permissions

I'm trying to setup file permissions on a single file shared on the server,
whereby the Admisitrator has full control, but certain users have 'Read' only
permsision.
I want users to be able to access the file and read the contents, but no be
able to modify or change the contents.
Simple enough, but within the file's Security tab I have the Administrator,
and Users group added (nothing else), and permissions are set to Full control
for Administrator, and Read & Execute, and Read for the Users.
However, the users are unable to open the file (Access Denied), unless I
enable either Full Control or Write to their group permissions.
Why woudl the Write permission enable access, and allowing them to change
data obviously, but when unchecking the Write permission all access is
denied, even though Read and Read & Execute is checked.
There are no Deny boxes checked within the directory structure.
There seems to be too many variables.
Even if I just add each user to the Security list and enable Read only
permissions, they can't access the file, unless Write permission is also
checked.
Confused!!

Any help would be appreciated , Thanks

"Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to setup file permissions on a single file shared on the
> server,
> whereby the Admisitrator has full control, but certain users have 'Read'
> only
> permsision.
> I want users to be able to access the file and read the contents, but no
> be
> able to modify or change the contents.
> Simple enough, but within the file's Security tab I have the
> Administrator,
> and Users group added (nothing else), and permissions are set to Full
> control
> for Administrator, and Read & Execute, and Read for the Users.
> However, the users are unable to open the file (Access Denied), unless I
> enable either Full Control or Write to their group permissions.
> Why woudl the Write permission enable access, and allowing them to change
> data obviously, but when unchecking the Write permission all access is
> denied, even though Read and Read & Execute is checked.
> There are no Deny boxes checked within the directory structure.
> There seems to be too many variables.
> Even if I just add each user to the Security list and enable Read only
> permissions, they can't access the file, unless Write permission is also
> checked.
> Confused!!
>
> Any help would be appreciated , Thanks

What type of file is it? Some files do require write access - for example an
Access database will want to save a file to indicate that it has been opened
by someone. This may apply to some other types of file too.

In general though your approach is sound, to grant users read-only and the
administrator full control.
--
 Brian Cryer
 http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

0
Brian
8/20/2010 10:35:30 AM
Thanks Brian for your help.
The file is actually a from a Calendar software  (.ecf) program

I'm not sure about the 'write access'

I shall investigate

Thanks again

"Brian Cryer" wrote:

> "Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm trying to setup file permissions on a single file shared on the
> > server,
> > whereby the Admisitrator has full control, but certain users have 'Read'
> > only
> > permsision.
> > I want users to be able to access the file and read the contents, but no
> > be
> > able to modify or change the contents.
> > Simple enough, but within the file's Security tab I have the
> > Administrator,
> > and Users group added (nothing else), and permissions are set to Full
> > control
> > for Administrator, and Read & Execute, and Read for the Users.
> > However, the users are unable to open the file (Access Denied), unless I
> > enable either Full Control or Write to their group permissions.
> > Why woudl the Write permission enable access, and allowing them to change
> > data obviously, but when unchecking the Write permission all access is
> > denied, even though Read and Read & Execute is checked.
> > There are no Deny boxes checked within the directory structure.
> > There seems to be too many variables.
> > Even if I just add each user to the Security list and enable Read only
> > permissions, they can't access the file, unless Write permission is also
> > checked.
> > Confused!!
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated , Thanks
>
> What type of file is it? Some files do require write access - for example an
> Access database will want to save a file to indicate that it has been opened
> by someone. This may apply to some other types of file too.
>
> In general though your approach is sound, to grant users read-only and the
> administrator full control.
> --
>  Brian Cryer
>  http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian
>

> .

Adding to Brian's comments, try giving users write-access to the
folder but read access to the file - just in case it is the Access
scenario and the calendar program is trying to create a .tmp file etc.

Jim

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 04:26:03 -0700, Nick
<Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks Brian for your help.
>The file is actually a from a Calendar software  (.ecf) program
>
>I'm not sure about the 'write access'
>
>I shall investigate
>
>Thanks again
>
>"Brian Cryer" wrote:
>
>> "Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm trying to setup file permissions on a single file shared on the
>> > server,
>> > whereby the Admisitrator has full control, but certain users have 'Read'
>> > only
>> > permsision.
>> > I want users to be able to access the file and read the contents, but no
>> > be
>> > able to modify or change the contents.
>> > Simple enough, but within the file's Security tab I have the
>> > Administrator,
>> > and Users group added (nothing else), and permissions are set to Full
>> > control
>> > for Administrator, and Read & Execute, and Read for the Users.
>> > However, the users are unable to open the file (Access Denied), unless I
>> > enable either Full Control or Write to their group permissions.
>> > Why woudl the Write permission enable access, and allowing them to change
>> > data obviously, but when unchecking the Write permission all access is
>> > denied, even though Read and Read & Execute is checked.
>> > There are no Deny boxes checked within the directory structure.
>> > There seems to be too many variables.
>> > Even if I just add each user to the Security list and enable Read only
>> > permissions, they can't access the file, unless Write permission is also
>> > checked.
>> > Confused!!
>> >
>> > Any help would be appreciated , Thanks
>>
>> What type of file is it? Some files do require write access - for example an
>> Access database will want to save a file to indicate that it has been opened
>> by someone. This may apply to some other types of file too.
>>
>> In general though your approach is sound, to grant users read-only and the
>> administrator full control.
>> --
>>  Brian Cryer
>>  http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian
>>

>> .

0
Jim
8/20/2010 12:21:02 PM
Just to be sure, this isn't a plug-in for Outlook that you are talking
about? If it is then its probably better to find a way to push it down to
the individual pcs/laptops as otherwise your users will get an error if they
try to start outlook but can't connect to the server - which will probably
only be an issue for people with laptops who might be out and about.

If its not for Outlook then I'd be interested in know what program this is
for - but this is more for personal interest.
--
 Brian Cryer
 http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

> Thanks Brian for your help.
> The file is actually a from a Calendar software  (.ecf) program
>
> I'm not sure about the 'write access'
>
> I shall investigate
>
> Thanks again
>
> "Brian Cryer" wrote:
>
>> "Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm trying to setup file permissions on a single file shared on the
>> > server,
>> > whereby the Admisitrator has full control, but certain users have
>> > 'Read'
>> > only
>> > permsision.
>> > I want users to be able to access the file and read the contents, but
>> > no
>> > be
>> > able to modify or change the contents.
>> > Simple enough, but within the file's Security tab I have the
>> > Administrator,
>> > and Users group added (nothing else), and permissions are set to Full
>> > control
>> > for Administrator, and Read & Execute, and Read for the Users.
>> > However, the users are unable to open the file (Access Denied), unless
>> > enable either Full Control or Write to their group permissions.
>> > Why woudl the Write permission enable access, and allowing them to
>> > change
>> > data obviously, but when unchecking the Write permission all access is
>> > denied, even though Read and Read & Execute is checked.
>> > There are no Deny boxes checked within the directory structure.
>> > There seems to be too many variables.
>> > Even if I just add each user to the Security list and enable Read only
>> > permissions, they can't access the file, unless Write permission is
>> > also
>> > checked.
>> > Confused!!
>> >
>> > Any help would be appreciated , Thanks
>>
>> What type of file is it? Some files do require write access - for example
>> an
>> Access database will want to save a file to indicate that it has been
>> opened
>> by someone. This may apply to some other types of file too.
>>
>> In general though your approach is sound, to grant users read-only and
>> the
>> administrator full control.
>> --
>>  Brian Cryer
>>  http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian
>>

>> .

0
Brian
8/20/2010 2:07:03 PM
No, I'm not using the Outlook Calendar, I'm using a program called "Efficient
Calendar" , which happens to look a lot like Outlook's calendar.

With regards Jim's comment, the folder's permissions are set to Write. (In
fact they are set to Full Control for all Entries)

Thanks

In article <0CE3239F-9C47-49E0-9872-76A4D1A2C994@microsoft.com>,
Nick@discussions.microsoft.com says...

> I'm trying to setup file permissions on a single file shared on the server,
> whereby the Admisitrator has full control, but certain users have 'Read' only
> permsision.
> I want users to be able to access the file and read the contents, but no be
> able to modify or change the contents.
> Simple enough, but within the file's Security tab I have the Administrator,
> and Users group added (nothing else), and permissions are set to Full control
> for Administrator, and Read & Execute, and Read for the Users.
> However, the users are unable to open the file (Access Denied), unless I
> enable either Full Control or Write to their group permissions.
> Why woudl the Write permission enable access, and allowing them to change
> data obviously, but when unchecking the Write permission all access is
> denied, even though Read and Read & Execute is checked.
> There are no Deny boxes checked within the directory structure.
> There seems to be too many variables.
> Even if I just add each user to the Security list and enable Read only
> permissions, they can't access the file, unless Write permission is also
> checked.
> Confused!!
>
> Any help would be appreciated , Thanks

On the SHARE - set all users to FULL CONTROL
On the FOLDER, Administrators, Sec Permissions, FULL CONTROL
Don't change SYSTEM account permissions on Security

Create a security group, lets call it SG_FOLDERNAME_RO (RO is read only,
to make it easy to identify).

On the FOLDER, remove EVERYONE, remove AUTHENTICATED USERS, ADD
SG_FOLDERNAME_RO

In the Security Group, add the user accounts needed (not "DOMAIN USERS"
and not "AUTHENTICATED USERS" to the group.

On the FOLDER, SECURITY, SG_FOLDERNAME_RO selected, remove all
permissions, don't set ANY deny, now add the permissions "read &
execute", "List folder contents" "READ" - actually, when you select
"read & execute" it will apply the other two.

Now, this will make the FOLDER FULL ACCESS for Administrators

The change will only apply after they've logged out and back into the
system 1 time, if they are already logged in and have already accessed
the share.

Trust yourself.
Leythos
8/21/2010 8:22:27 AM
Thanks very much for your detailed help!
I follwed your instructions, and created a SG with only the users I want
listed.
Unfortunately this still isn't working for me.
Just so I haven't got the wrong ene of the stick:

Before I followed your instructions, I had a shared folder called "Calendar"
The "Calendar" share Permissions has the EVERYONE group only in there, and
set to Full Control
The "Calendar" Security Permissions, has Administrators, Creater Owner,
System, and Users (domain\users)
Adminstrators is set to FC
Users is set to Read & Ex, List Folder Contents
System is set to FC
Creator Owner has only Special Permissions selected

The saved calendar data file within "Calendar" folder. In the Security
Permissions, there is Administrators (set to FC)
System (set to FC)
Users (domain\users) (set to Read & Execute, and Read)

With these settings, the Administrator can have full access, but users have
"Access Denied" presented to them when opening the data file.
Only way they can see the data file, is to enable WRITE in the file's
security Users permissions.

I have tried various methods, like not inheriting permissions, and adding
the unique users to the security permissions with explicit permissions, but
all to no avail.

In article <D0E6980C-1BBC-465A-B54C-9B8A5F8FC6A9@microsoft.com>,
Nick@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> With these settings, the Administrator can have full access, but users have
> "Access Denied" presented to them when opening the data file.
> Only way they can see the data file, is to enable WRITE in the file's
> security Users permissions.

Remove Creator/owner.

Click on the folder, security, advanced, apply permissions down the
folder to the file.

You may not have applied the permissions to the FILE itself, or the
OWNER of the file may be incorrect.

Open the share from one of the workstations, as the user in question,
browse to the file, right click, properties, select security, look at
the permissions as the user.

If you're getting DENIED when you open the folder then you've got
something else overriding the permissions. If the folder opens, do the
same on the file, if denied on the file then you've got to find the
incorrectly set permission.

You should also remove "Inherents from parent" setting.

Always apply permissions using GROUPS, never individual users, for
shares - it's a LOT easier to manage.

So, make sure that the permissions replicated to the FILE, go to a
workstation, test and let us know.

Trust yourself.
Leythos
8/21/2010 4:17:10 PM
Thanks again for your help.

I will have to think of another approach to this.

Still no joy with access to the file.

My Shared Folder, and also the file have only Administrator, and SG Group in
the Security permissions. Administrator set to FC on both, and SG set to,
Read & Execute, List Folder Contents, and Read, again on both folder and file.
No Inheritance on either.

At the Workstation, when checking the file's permissions, they are the same
as the Server's permissions.

Not sure if this in fact a program\software issue, as I notice if I make a
change to the file, and then delete\undo the change, it doesn't prompt me to
save the file when exiting the program..

Back to the drawing board.....

Thanks

In article <898B1B40-AB00-4A8F-BAA2-EC6804BAFA29@microsoft.com>,
Nick@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> Not sure if this in fact a program\software issue, as I notice if I make a
> change to the file, and then delete\undo the change, it doesn't prompt me to
> save the file when exiting the program..
>
> Back to the drawing board.....

If the program allows updates to the file then it's opening it in R/W
mode.

Why not setup a special permissions security that denies DELETE, Change
Ownership, and give them RW permission?

Trust yourself.
Leythos
8/22/2010 5:48:21 PM
> No, I'm not using the Outlook Calendar, I'm using a program called
> "Efficient
> Calendar" , which happens to look a lot like Outlook's calendar.

I still suspect that the application ("Efficient Calendar") is trying to
upate the file when it is opened.

If you look on their site they do give contact email addresses for technical
support (see http://www.efficientsoftware.net/contact.htm ). I suggest you
ask them whether the calendar file can be made readonly and shared - and
tell they them what you are experiencing. If its an application issue then
they are the people who may be able to help.

I'd be interested to know what they say, so please post back.
--
 Brian Cryer
 http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

> With regards Jim's comment, the folder's permissions are set to Write. (In
> fact they are set to Full Control for all Entries)
>
> Thanks
>
> "Brian Cryer" wrote:
>
>> Just to be sure, this isn't a plug-in for Outlook that you are talking
>> about? If it is then its probably better to find a way to push it down to
>> the individual pcs/laptops as otherwise your users will get an error if
>> they
>> try to start outlook but can't connect to the server - which will
>> probably
>> only be an issue for people with laptops who might be out and about.
>>
>> If its not for Outlook then I'd be interested in know what program this
>> is
>> for - but this is more for personal interest.
>> --
>>  Brian Cryer
>>  http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian
>>
>> "Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks Brian for your help.
>> > The file is actually a from a Calendar software  (.ecf) program
>> >
>> > I'm not sure about the 'write access'
>> >
>> > I shall investigate
>> >
>> > Thanks again

>> .

0
Brian
8/23/2010 9:26:17 AM
I will try the changes you suggest, and let you know the outcome

Thanks

"Leythos" wrote:

> In article <898B1B40-AB00-4A8F-BAA2-EC6804BAFA29@microsoft.com>,
> Nick@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> > Not sure if this in fact a program\software issue, as I notice if I make a
> > change to the file, and then delete\undo the change, it doesn't prompt me to
> > save the file when exiting the program..
> >
> > Back to the drawing board.....
> >

> If the program allows updates to the file then it's opening it in R/W
> mode.
>
> Why not setup a special permissions security that denies DELETE, Change
> Ownership, and give them RW permission?
>
> --
> You can't trust your best friends, your five senses, only the little
> voice inside you that most civilians don't even hear -- Listen to that.
> Trust yourself.
> spam999free@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)
> .

Opening/linking .xlsx files
I have had trouble linking new .xlsx files to my existing .xls files. Excel would shut down. So I started saving all my files in the old .xls format. I recently created a new file using .xlsx, but when I try to reopen it, Excel shuts down. Any suggestions??? -- Jim Are you able to open Excel 2007? Try to create a new file and reopen it. If this does not work then try... Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar 1) Start->Run-> excel.exe /unregserver ->OK. 2) Start->Run-> excel.exe /regserver ->OK. See the space between exe and /regserver You might have to design...

List of files
All I want to do is get a list of files in a directory so they can be deleted. How do I get this list ? John, > All I want to do is get a list of files in a directory so > they can be deleted. How do I get this list ? You can use FindFirstFile/ FindNextFile/FindClose API functions for enumerating files. If you want to remove directory with its content take a look at SHFileOperation in MSDN. -- Regards, Kobi Ben Tzvi "John" <john.f.brownell@wdc.com> wrote in message news:022b01c3788a$bb119ee0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > All I want to do is get a list of files in...

Transfer Files Using VBA
Hi, I'd like to transfer files from several drives on my pc to one cetnral location. From A:\Office1\ B:\Office2\ C:\Office3\ To D:\HeadQuarters\ My routine now is the following 1) Copy the files from drives: A, B, and C; and then 2) Paste the filesto the D drive 3) Delete the files permanently from drives A, B, and C. As you see this is a tedious routine, which I'd liket o avoid by using VBA. Can someone start me off with some code on how to accomplish this. Thanks so much in advance! Jrew Jrew, You could create a batch file (from the olden days) using XCOPY and desired bel...

Do I have to put my files on a server to hyperlink in Publisher?
For a class project, we need to make a website. However I do not want to go live with the site (publish the site) for security purposes. Is there a way I can just make the hyperlinks for my files open without having to be on a server? The instructor wants a working but not live site. TJ If you are using Pub 2003, the built-in navigation bar uses relative links that will work on your local machine. Under Help type "navigation" for more information. Assuming you use the default setting, when you Publish to the Web, you can direct the html output to a folder on your computer. T...

Importing QFX files
One of the financial institutions that I deal with provides downloads only in QFX format, not OFX. Is there anyway to import QFX into Money 2005 Standard? John Kane On 2005-04-29, jkane@ida.org <jkane@ida.org> wrote: > One of the financial institutions that I deal with provides > downloads only in QFX format, not OFX. Is there anyway to import > QFX into Money 2005 Standard? I don't know the answer to this question, but this guy seems to think that it doesn't really matter. According to him, QFX is OFX with Quicken extensions. I don't know whether Money will ...

How do I get focus back on an Excel file?
When automating Excel, if there is a picture (graphic) on the worksheet, when the file is opened, the picture has the focus and mouse-clicks anywhere on the Excel window are lost. Is there a way to get the focus back so that other cells can be editted? Insert this line of code into the macro: ActiveSheet.Range("A1").Select You could also rework the code to avoid selecting the shape in the first place. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ "Stumpiana" <Stumpiana...

Exchange no longer available
Courtesy of Katrina, my brother-in-law's job and Exchange server are no more. He knows he has personal folders and contacts on his laptop, but Outlook choles on not connecting to Exchange and won't let him see the local stuff either. How does one tell Outlook not to try to connect to Exchange and instead use the local pst file? It might be easier to create a new profile and then use File Open to access the personal folder file, you create a new profile in Control Panel || Mail <philmcin@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1126736961.961262.92120@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... ...

Clearing Log Files
What is the method for clearing exchange log files. These file take up more space than the database. Thanks Bill Bill, I suspect the files you are talking about are the Transaction Log files. These are important files and need to be managed correctly. Performing an online backup will truncate these logs. Or if you don't require backups then turn on circular logging. Here's some more info.. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;147524&Product=exchange Peter O'Dowd http://www.blade.net.nz "Bill" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wr...

'Recently used file' list.
When I open Excel nine filenames appear on the RHS as 'recently used files' (this number was set via Tools/Options/General, of course). In the middle of this list are 3 no-longer-used files. Though the files themselves have been deleted their names remain in this list. Is there an easy way to remove those entries from that list, please? TIA, DB. There is an entry in the help file "Display or hide recently used workbooks on the File menu" which says uncheck the 'recently used files' checkbox, the click OK. Then, basically, start again. "DB.&...

How to use excel file created in version earlier than 4.0a in 4.0
Thanks to whomever answered my query but when I opened the email the screen was blank. My laptop is sick. My question was and still is, how can I use my Excel files created in a recent version on my laptop in my PC which is loaded only with Excel 4.0a . Please and thanks. -- Thanks, Ajimmo Hi Ajimmo You can't, the file format changes twice since version 4. You need a newer Excel version, a compatible spreadsheet program, or simply a viewer if all you want to do is view / print the file. HTH. Best wishes Harald "ajimmo" <ajimmo@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i m...

Money 2004 Standar can't convert Money 2000 Delux File
Hi all, I just installed Money 2004 Standar on XP. I just buy It. I used to have a Money 2000 Delux version. When I try to convert my data file (from Money 200), the program makes a copy of the file with the extension "MN8" and then stops with the error: "Money cannot covert the file. The older varsion is not supported" Is there any way I can convert my Money 2000 Delux file into a Money 2004 Standar file? Thanks, Fernando S. ...

How can I convert Outlook 2007 Rules files (.rwz) to something editable?
I want to manage the rules a little simpler than with the built-in rules wizard. I can export the rules to a .rwz file. - Is there a description someplace of the .rwz file? - Is there a simple script or tool to convert to a .rwz file to a .csv or some other format? A perl script, VB, etc. would be fine. -- AllBackJack ------------------------------------------------------------------------ AllBackJack's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/160330.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/ms-office-support/1277903.htm http://forums.techarena.in ...

Long File Path

XLSX Files Will Not Open
Using Windows 7 / Excel 2007. I can open old xls files using Excel 2007 but can not open any xlsx files. When I select an xlsx file to open, a new blank worksheet opens instead of the selected file. The "ignore other applications" box is unchecked as recommended in other posts and I have re-installed Office. Neither solved the problem. Please help. Kind regards, -- Windog ...

Help, how do I get an exe file with outlook 2002.
is there a way to turn off the GD stupid F#@$ing level one interecept "feature" in outlook? I am so angry with this stupid program@! I need to download an exe file and cannot with this software! Maybe if you washed your mouth out with soap, someone would be willing to help you. This is a technical forum -- not a place for ranting fools. "Sean" <sean@pointblankinc.com> wrote in message news:5a8001c42d8f$52c08b20$a401280a@phx.gbl... > is there a way to turn off the GD stupid F#@$ing level > one interecept "feature" in outlook? > > I am so angr...

Can I move the data files?
I just installed Money 2005. I let it take most of the defaults, It choose to store the data files in \My Documents. I would like to move all of them to \My Documents\My Money. Is there a way to do that? -- Simplest way is to use My Computer or Windows Explorer. Navigate to your ..mny file, click on it, click on edit > copy, navigate to where you want the ..mny file to live and click on edit > paste. When the file is in it's new home, double click on the file name. This will call up Money and this will then remember where it found the file. Now go back to the original locati...

File Conversion Question
backup.pst Outlook 2003 version Can this be converted to be restored into Outlook 2002? What other possible solutions could be employed? Thank you. denise.ciaralli@bell.ca <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > backup.pst Outlook 2003 version > > Can this be converted to be restored into Outlook 2002? Only by using Outlook 2003 to create a 2002-format PST and then copying or exporting the data to the 2002-format PST. -- Brian Tillman Thank you! >-----Original Message----- >denise.ciaralli@bell.ca <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > >...

How do I reduce the size of an exel file?
I am currently up to 80mb and am using Excel 2002. The file has multiple users with pivot tables. It would be a huge endeavor to reset all the pivot tables. Is there any other trick that will help reduce the size of the file? eselgar wrote: > I am currently up to 80mb and am using Excel 2002. The file has multiple > users with pivot tables. It would be a huge endeavor to reset all the pivot > tables. Is there any other trick that will help reduce the size of the file? What does the file contain and what do you mean by "multiple users with pivot tables"? -- Inter...

File Hiearchy.Any Tips?
Links etc? I have taken possession of a new XP machine and things seem a little different from my last XP that crashed and burned. I am trying to organise my file hierarchy with something like 500,000 images in say 1000 folders. I have them in My Documents, but oft times windows explorer ends up in a mirror folder tree under C:\ drive It feels awkward and troubling, any ideas how to set up a stable file tree in xp please? Should I move these files to the root drive C:\ only? Thanks very much in advance. rodney wrote: > Links etc? > > I have taken possession...

Spreadsheet File Size
I have a Spreadsheet that has 10 tabs at the bottom. Each of thes sheets cross reference dataand thee are many complex calculation throughout. Many of the formulas are nested IF functions which I kno take up a lot of space. The unfortunate thing is the file size is 7 MB, which is hard for others in the office to work with. I would appreciate any ideas as to how I could reduce the file size. For example: - Is there a way or someone who could look at this and kind of audi it to see if there are ways to reduce size? - Should I break it up into seperate files (shich would be harder fo other ...

Translation: .123 file extension to Excel 2003?
I received a file with this extension - more familiar with.wk_, extensions- can't translate to Excel. Please advise me - Thanks ...

Trying to get a type of video file format to open and run on my we
I created a video using Windows Movie maker and saved as .wmp file. I saved it to my computer and then inserted on my web page under Front Page 2003. Nothing! I then converted the file to avi format - still nothing! I then tried mpeg4 still nothing. The manual is next to useless on this subject. Anyone tell me what I need to do so that when a user opens up the page the video plays automatically. -- Simon Holloway Save as a .wmv and insert a suitable player into the page. For IE only, Insert->Web Component->Advanced Controls->ActiveX Control Click Next Choose Window...

can not open lib file
hi, if a try to compile a porgramm i get always the rror : LINK : fatal error LNK1104: Datei "TranslationController.lib" kann nicht geoeffnet werden --> can not open the lib ....waht do i hier wrong please....??? thnaks You need to locate the .lib file, and make sure msdev is looking for it in the right place by looking in Tools->Options + Directories tab. Jase "Marc" <rote_granit@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:013901c3c807$5a8f8fb0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > hi, > if a try to compile a porgramm i get always > the rror : LINK : fatal error LNK1104:...

Using Jet to read excel file returns blank for last cell
With VB6 I am opening an Excel file to query the contents using ADO. I am then using the contents of the worksheet to create a format file that is used for a bulk insert into SQL Server. We designed the program this way so that users can use a spreadsheet to import data in any format they want and process the data based on values set in the spreadsheet. This keeps us from having to design new tables and format files for new record layouts which come down pretty often. Everything works fine usually. There is just one perculiarity that is happening with the Excel file. Sometimes, th...

How do I recover a saved file that will not open in Publisher 2003
While working on a saved copy of a newsletter in Publisher 2003 a message came up asking what I wanted to do about: "Microsoft was trying to invade to give a message". The message was from Norton Internet Security ,hich stated to I should create a firewall (recommended) so that's what I pushed. Then Publisher closed down and asked if I wanted to send an error report. After Publisher closed, I can open up Publisher and any other document but not the file I was working on. Each time I try to open the file it automatically shuts down and asks if I want to send or not send a...