Exchange for remote users/offices

Up to this point i've used SBS 2003 with POP3 (using Popbeamer)...the
reason i chose this from the get go was because we have about 15 users
here on site and about another 20 that are scattered across the globe.
I didn't want to be in charge of mail for those that weren't here
remotely, so figured just using the POP3 route was the way to go.

Well, i'm preparing to move to SBS 2008 and REALLY want to set it up
as a true Exchange server hosing the mail.  But, again, am not sure i
want to deal with the other 20 users if i don't have to.  So, is there
a way to set up Exchange for here in the office only, but have other
mailboxes go to our host (CrystalTech) so they can use POP mail?  Or
am I too concerned for no reason?  We do have a VERY large Exchange -
which is another concern - bumping into the 75 gig size limit with
everyones mail...

jared
0
Jaredean
1/2/2010 2:25:56 AM
windows.server.sbs 1975 articles. 0 followers. Follow

12 Replies
631 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 34

Why not get rid of POP totally and use either OWA or Outlook Anywhere to 
have the remote users/offices access their mail?

"Jaredean" <shop@prolook.com> wrote in message 
news:labtj51ggcoh16ml5nmsdicrgh76438bap@4ax.com...
> Up to this point i've used SBS 2003 with POP3 (using Popbeamer)...the
> reason i chose this from the get go was because we have about 15 users
> here on site and about another 20 that are scattered across the globe.
> I didn't want to be in charge of mail for those that weren't here
> remotely, so figured just using the POP3 route was the way to go.
>
> Well, i'm preparing to move to SBS 2008 and REALLY want to set it up
> as a true Exchange server hosing the mail.  But, again, am not sure i
> want to deal with the other 20 users if i don't have to.  So, is there
> a way to set up Exchange for here in the office only, but have other
> mailboxes go to our host (CrystalTech) so they can use POP mail?  Or
> am I too concerned for no reason?  We do have a VERY large Exchange -
> which is another concern - bumping into the 75 gig size limit with
> everyones mail...
>
> jared 


0
SteveB
1/2/2010 3:08:26 AM
I'd concidered that, but many really want to use Outlook...

jared

On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 19:08:26 -0800, "SteveB" <newsgroup@public.lan>
wrote:

>Why not get rid of POP totally and use either OWA or Outlook Anywhere to 
>have the remote users/offices access their mail?
>
>"Jaredean" <shop@prolook.com> wrote in message 
>news:labtj51ggcoh16ml5nmsdicrgh76438bap@4ax.com...
>> Up to this point i've used SBS 2003 with POP3 (using Popbeamer)...the
>> reason i chose this from the get go was because we have about 15 users
>> here on site and about another 20 that are scattered across the globe.
>> I didn't want to be in charge of mail for those that weren't here
>> remotely, so figured just using the POP3 route was the way to go.
>>
>> Well, i'm preparing to move to SBS 2008 and REALLY want to set it up
>> as a true Exchange server hosing the mail.  But, again, am not sure i
>> want to deal with the other 20 users if i don't have to.  So, is there
>> a way to set up Exchange for here in the office only, but have other
>> mailboxes go to our host (CrystalTech) so they can use POP mail?  Or
>> am I too concerned for no reason?  We do have a VERY large Exchange -
>> which is another concern - bumping into the 75 gig size limit with
>> everyones mail...
>>
>> jared 
>
0
Jaredean
1/2/2010 4:40:35 AM
I see no real advantage to moving it all inhouse. I'd probably continue as 
is. I haven't checked if popbeamer is 2007 ready but it would surprise me to 
find not and 
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/library/bb125075(EXCHG.65).aspx for the 
external users.

"SteveB" <newsgroup@public.lan> wrote in message 
news:u7vAcj1iKHA.5596@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Why not get rid of POP totally and use either OWA or Outlook Anywhere to 
> have the remote users/offices access their mail?
>
> "Jaredean" <shop@prolook.com> wrote in message 
> news:labtj51ggcoh16ml5nmsdicrgh76438bap@4ax.com...
>> Up to this point i've used SBS 2003 with POP3 (using Popbeamer)...the
>> reason i chose this from the get go was because we have about 15 users
>> here on site and about another 20 that are scattered across the globe.
>> I didn't want to be in charge of mail for those that weren't here
>> remotely, so figured just using the POP3 route was the way to go.
>>
>> Well, i'm preparing to move to SBS 2008 and REALLY want to set it up
>> as a true Exchange server hosing the mail.  But, again, am not sure i
>> want to deal with the other 20 users if i don't have to.  So, is there
>> a way to set up Exchange for here in the office only, but have other
>> mailboxes go to our host (CrystalTech) so they can use POP mail?  Or
>> am I too concerned for no reason?  We do have a VERY large Exchange -
>> which is another concern - bumping into the 75 gig size limit with
>> everyones mail...
>>
>> jared
>
> 


0
SuperGumby
1/2/2010 4:49:21 AM
Two opions
Buy a Certificate for your SBS2008

Have them use https://remote.yourdomain.com for Exchange
(If you haven't seen OWA in Exchange 2007 it's pretty good.)

Or if you want to use Outlook
Set up RPC over HTTPS on the remote users using Outlook 2003 or 2007
Since the PC's are not in the Domain they will have to enter credentials
But then the Mail is Saved on the Server
and not just the PC
I'd avoid POP3 just because of NO backups of contacts and email/calendars
Russ

-- 
Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]
Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
Microsoft Certified Small Business Specialist
World Wide 24hr SBS Remote Support - http://www.SBITS.Biz
Microsoft Online Services - http://www.microsoft-online-services.com


"Jaredean" <shop@prolook.com> wrote in message 
news:qfjtj59l9t5b39fdejgo7oi7ofadcga5b0@4ax.com...
> I'd concidered that, but many really want to use Outlook...
>
> jared
>
> On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 19:08:26 -0800, "SteveB" <newsgroup@public.lan>
> wrote:
>
>>Why not get rid of POP totally and use either OWA or Outlook Anywhere to
>>have the remote users/offices access their mail?
>>
>>"Jaredean" <shop@prolook.com> wrote in message
>>news:labtj51ggcoh16ml5nmsdicrgh76438bap@4ax.com...
>>> Up to this point i've used SBS 2003 with POP3 (using Popbeamer)...the
>>> reason i chose this from the get go was because we have about 15 users
>>> here on site and about another 20 that are scattered across the globe.
>>> I didn't want to be in charge of mail for those that weren't here
>>> remotely, so figured just using the POP3 route was the way to go.
>>>
>>> Well, i'm preparing to move to SBS 2008 and REALLY want to set it up
>>> as a true Exchange server hosing the mail.  But, again, am not sure i
>>> want to deal with the other 20 users if i don't have to.  So, is there
>>> a way to set up Exchange for here in the office only, but have other
>>> mailboxes go to our host (CrystalTech) so they can use POP mail?  Or
>>> am I too concerned for no reason?  We do have a VERY large Exchange -
>>> which is another concern - bumping into the 75 gig size limit with
>>> everyones mail...
>>>
>>> jared
>> 
0
Russ
1/2/2010 8:32:58 AM
Interesting.  I actually will voice a difference of opinion with SuperGumby 
here.  Specifically, I see three distinct advantages between a pop3 setup 
and moving all mail in-house.

1) Centralized user administration.  With pop3, there are two user accounts 
for some of your users.  One at the ISP, and one on your SBS server.  That 
is two accounts to troubleshoot when there are problems.  Two places where 
passwords can be wrong.  Two places where you can blame the the ISP when 
there are problems and they can blame you.  Even for the off-site users that 
may not have an SBS account, the ISP account they have is, primarily, 
outside of your control.....but as the IT person, still within your 
responsibility.  I don't know about you, but I'm far more UNcomfortable 
being responsible for something I can't control than I would be about having 
more users.

2) Centralized backups.  Russ touched on this, but by moving email in-house, 
you now have everyone on the same platform with the same level of 
protection.  No longer can an employee say "I sent that file as a PDF last 
week!   The ISP must've lost it!"  You now manage their email.  That 
includes backups, but also means you have the full suite of troubleshooting, 
message tracking, and auditing at your disposal.

3) From a user perspective, they gain the full advantage of exchange, not 
just messaging.  That includes calendars, appointments, task lists, etc. 
Maybe they already use a BCM for this, but this still is the difference 
between them using some random 3rd-party product to fill in the gaps....a 
product you may not know about, have control over, or be expected to 
support, and having everyone on the same page.  Or...to look at it another 
way, you lose the disadvantages of pop3.  Lack of BCC leaps to mind 
(regardless of the type of pop3 connector used) and the other inherent 
limitations of the pop3 protocol make it less than ideal in a 
mail-forwarding environment.

Anyways, those are my thoughts,

-Cliff


"SuperGumby [SBS MVP]" <not@your.nellie> wrote in message 
news:OqgO1b2iKHA.4872@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> I see no real advantage to moving it all inhouse. I'd probably continue as 
> is. I haven't checked if popbeamer is 2007 ready but it would surprise me 
> to find not and 
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/library/bb125075(EXCHG.65).aspx for the 
> external users.
>
> "SteveB" <newsgroup@public.lan> wrote in message 
> news:u7vAcj1iKHA.5596@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> Why not get rid of POP totally and use either OWA or Outlook Anywhere to 
>> have the remote users/offices access their mail?
>>
>> "Jaredean" <shop@prolook.com> wrote in message 
>> news:labtj51ggcoh16ml5nmsdicrgh76438bap@4ax.com...
>>> Up to this point i've used SBS 2003 with POP3 (using Popbeamer)...the
>>> reason i chose this from the get go was because we have about 15 users
>>> here on site and about another 20 that are scattered across the globe.
>>> I didn't want to be in charge of mail for those that weren't here
>>> remotely, so figured just using the POP3 route was the way to go.
>>>
>>> Well, i'm preparing to move to SBS 2008 and REALLY want to set it up
>>> as a true Exchange server hosing the mail.  But, again, am not sure i
>>> want to deal with the other 20 users if i don't have to.  So, is there
>>> a way to set up Exchange for here in the office only, but have other
>>> mailboxes go to our host (CrystalTech) so they can use POP mail?  Or
>>> am I too concerned for no reason?  We do have a VERY large Exchange -
>>> which is another concern - bumping into the 75 gig size limit with
>>> everyones mail...
>>>
>>> jared
>>
>>
>
> 
0
Cliff
1/2/2010 6:36:57 PM
"Cliff Galiher" <cgaliher@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:umrIXq9iKHA.4912@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Interesting.  I actually will voice a difference of opinion with 
> SuperGumby here.  Specifically, I see three distinct advantages between a 
> pop3 setup and moving all mail in-house.
>
> 1) Centralized user administration.  With pop3, there are two user 
> accounts for some of your users.  One at the ISP, and one on your SBS 
> server.  That is two accounts to troubleshoot when there are problems. 
> Two places where passwords can be wrong.  Two places where you can blame 
> the the ISP when there are problems and they can blame you.  Even for the 
> off-site users that may not have an SBS account, the ISP account they have 
> is, primarily, outside of your control.....but as the IT person, still 
> within your responsibility.  I don't know about you, but I'm far more 
> UNcomfortable being responsible for something I can't control than I would 
> be about having more users.
>
> 2) Centralized backups.  Russ touched on this, but by moving email 
> in-house, you now have everyone on the same platform with the same level 
> of protection.  No longer can an employee say "I sent that file as a PDF 
> last week!   The ISP must've lost it!"  You now manage their email.  That 
> includes backups, but also means you have the full suite of 
> troubleshooting, message tracking, and auditing at your disposal.
>
> 3) From a user perspective, they gain the full advantage of exchange, not 
> just messaging.  That includes calendars, appointments, task lists, etc. 
> Maybe they already use a BCM for this, but this still is the difference 
> between them using some random 3rd-party product to fill in the gaps....a 
> product you may not know about, have control over, or be expected to 
> support, and having everyone on the same page.  Or...to look at it another 
> way, you lose the disadvantages of pop3.  Lack of BCC leaps to mind 
> (regardless of the type of pop3 connector used) and the other inherent 
> limitations of the pop3 protocol make it less than ideal in a 
> mail-forwarding environment.
>
> Anyways, those are my thoughts,
>
> -Cliff
>
>

I just wanted to add, that if the company handles sensitive emails, POP3 
setups have always worried me because emails flow through someone else's 
system. No security there, and it doesn't bode well with discovery and other 
legal implications.

-- 
Ace

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and 
confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among 
responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA 
2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
Microsoft Certified Trainer

For urgent issues, please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check 
http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.



0
Ace
1/2/2010 11:42:52 PM
I appreciate all of the replies to this thread - i am leaning towards
having it all inhouse for the benifit of having control over it and i
- personally (and this is kind of a silly reason) i like when someone
sends an e-mail we don't have to wait for it to "pop" through which
can take up to 5 minutes...i know i can reduce those settings, but it
isn't suggested to reduce them very much incase it starts multiple
sessions over the top of each other...

But, one thing i am worried about is the fact that our mailbox size is
quite large as it is...10 years of 25 users accumilating has taken its
toll...right now the size is:

priv1.edb: 45 gig
priv1.stm: 33 gig

So, bringing on 10 more users shouldn't push us over the limit (unless
the limit is the two combined have to be under 75 gig?  then we are
over for sure...) - but i don't want to be stressed over it...we
e-mail a lot of larger illustrator files to clients so that is why our
messaging system is so large...i'm setting up a webservice for this to
cut down on things, but until then who knows...

I'm sure i can "archive" off a lot of it, but like the idea of having
access to older mail and searching it, etc. and don't know an easy way
to do that - maybe 2008 has something?

jared

On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 19:25:56 -0700, Jaredean <shop@prolook.com> wrote:

>Up to this point i've used SBS 2003 with POP3 (using Popbeamer)...the
>reason i chose this from the get go was because we have about 15 users
>here on site and about another 20 that are scattered across the globe.
>I didn't want to be in charge of mail for those that weren't here
>remotely, so figured just using the POP3 route was the way to go.
>
>Well, i'm preparing to move to SBS 2008 and REALLY want to set it up
>as a true Exchange server hosing the mail.  But, again, am not sure i
>want to deal with the other 20 users if i don't have to.  So, is there
>a way to set up Exchange for here in the office only, but have other
>mailboxes go to our host (CrystalTech) so they can use POP mail?  Or
>am I too concerned for no reason?  We do have a VERY large Exchange -
>which is another concern - bumping into the 75 gig size limit with
>everyones mail...
>
>jared
0
Jaredean
1/6/2010 8:39:01 PM
Yes it's 75 GB combined for those 2 files so you are theoretically already 
over the limit. I think you need to take some immediate steps to reduce the 
size. Exchange 2007 in SBS 2008 doesn't have the 75 GB limit, but still for 
a small business with only 25 users that is a lot of mail to deal with.

"Jaredean" <shop@prolook.com> wrote in message 
news:7sk9k5h1ujopjl72eeksrv1obo34dm0gj8@4ax.com...
>I appreciate all of the replies to this thread - i am leaning towards
> having it all inhouse for the benifit of having control over it and i
> - personally (and this is kind of a silly reason) i like when someone
> sends an e-mail we don't have to wait for it to "pop" through which
> can take up to 5 minutes...i know i can reduce those settings, but it
> isn't suggested to reduce them very much incase it starts multiple
> sessions over the top of each other...
>
> But, one thing i am worried about is the fact that our mailbox size is
> quite large as it is...10 years of 25 users accumilating has taken its
> toll...right now the size is:
>
> priv1.edb: 45 gig
> priv1.stm: 33 gig
>
> So, bringing on 10 more users shouldn't push us over the limit (unless
> the limit is the two combined have to be under 75 gig?  then we are
> over for sure...) - but i don't want to be stressed over it...we
> e-mail a lot of larger illustrator files to clients so that is why our
> messaging system is so large...i'm setting up a webservice for this to
> cut down on things, but until then who knows...
>
> I'm sure i can "archive" off a lot of it, but like the idea of having
> access to older mail and searching it, etc. and don't know an easy way
> to do that - maybe 2008 has something?
>
> jared
>
> On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 19:25:56 -0700, Jaredean <shop@prolook.com> wrote:
>
>>Up to this point i've used SBS 2003 with POP3 (using Popbeamer)...the
>>reason i chose this from the get go was because we have about 15 users
>>here on site and about another 20 that are scattered across the globe.
>>I didn't want to be in charge of mail for those that weren't here
>>remotely, so figured just using the POP3 route was the way to go.
>>
>>Well, i'm preparing to move to SBS 2008 and REALLY want to set it up
>>as a true Exchange server hosing the mail.  But, again, am not sure i
>>want to deal with the other 20 users if i don't have to.  So, is there
>>a way to set up Exchange for here in the office only, but have other
>>mailboxes go to our host (CrystalTech) so they can use POP mail?  Or
>>am I too concerned for no reason?  We do have a VERY large Exchange -
>>which is another concern - bumping into the 75 gig size limit with
>>everyones mail...
>>
>>jared 


0
SteveB
1/6/2010 10:30:33 PM
Could there be some space that needs "compressed"?  I removed a lot of
users mail that are no longer employeed here and thought it should
have reduced the file side, but i'm not seeing much reduction...

jared

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 14:30:33 -0800, "SteveB" <newsgroup@public.lan>
wrote:

>Yes it's 75 GB combined for those 2 files so you are theoretically already 
>over the limit. I think you need to take some immediate steps to reduce the 
>size. Exchange 2007 in SBS 2008 doesn't have the 75 GB limit, but still for 
>a small business with only 25 users that is a lot of mail to deal with.
>
>"Jaredean" <shop@prolook.com> wrote in message 
>news:7sk9k5h1ujopjl72eeksrv1obo34dm0gj8@4ax.com...
>>I appreciate all of the replies to this thread - i am leaning towards
>> having it all inhouse for the benifit of having control over it and i
>> - personally (and this is kind of a silly reason) i like when someone
>> sends an e-mail we don't have to wait for it to "pop" through which
>> can take up to 5 minutes...i know i can reduce those settings, but it
>> isn't suggested to reduce them very much incase it starts multiple
>> sessions over the top of each other...
>>
>> But, one thing i am worried about is the fact that our mailbox size is
>> quite large as it is...10 years of 25 users accumilating has taken its
>> toll...right now the size is:
>>
>> priv1.edb: 45 gig
>> priv1.stm: 33 gig
>>
>> So, bringing on 10 more users shouldn't push us over the limit (unless
>> the limit is the two combined have to be under 75 gig?  then we are
>> over for sure...) - but i don't want to be stressed over it...we
>> e-mail a lot of larger illustrator files to clients so that is why our
>> messaging system is so large...i'm setting up a webservice for this to
>> cut down on things, but until then who knows...
>>
>> I'm sure i can "archive" off a lot of it, but like the idea of having
>> access to older mail and searching it, etc. and don't know an easy way
>> to do that - maybe 2008 has something?
>>
>> jared
>>
>> On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 19:25:56 -0700, Jaredean <shop@prolook.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Up to this point i've used SBS 2003 with POP3 (using Popbeamer)...the
>>>reason i chose this from the get go was because we have about 15 users
>>>here on site and about another 20 that are scattered across the globe.
>>>I didn't want to be in charge of mail for those that weren't here
>>>remotely, so figured just using the POP3 route was the way to go.
>>>
>>>Well, i'm preparing to move to SBS 2008 and REALLY want to set it up
>>>as a true Exchange server hosing the mail.  But, again, am not sure i
>>>want to deal with the other 20 users if i don't have to.  So, is there
>>>a way to set up Exchange for here in the office only, but have other
>>>mailboxes go to our host (CrystalTech) so they can use POP mail?  Or
>>>am I too concerned for no reason?  We do have a VERY large Exchange -
>>>which is another concern - bumping into the 75 gig size limit with
>>>everyones mail...
>>>
>>>jared 
>
0
Jaredean
1/7/2010 3:04:19 AM
Did you perform a offline defrag of exchange?
Russ

-- 
Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]
Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
Microsoft Certified Small Business Specialist
World Wide 24hr SBS Remote Support - http://www.SBITS.Biz
Microsoft Online Services - http://www.microsoft-online-services.com


"Jaredean" <shop@prolook.com> wrote in message 
news:6ojak5hldp2qoogprtauq4sm3u4k0jb3tq@4ax.com...
> Could there be some space that needs "compressed"?  I removed a lot of
> users mail that are no longer employeed here and thought it should
> have reduced the file side, but i'm not seeing much reduction...
>
> jared
>
> On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 14:30:33 -0800, "SteveB" <newsgroup@public.lan>
> wrote:
>
>>Yes it's 75 GB combined for those 2 files so you are theoretically already
>>over the limit. I think you need to take some immediate steps to reduce 
>>the
>>size. Exchange 2007 in SBS 2008 doesn't have the 75 GB limit, but still 
>>for
>>a small business with only 25 users that is a lot of mail to deal with.
>>
>>"Jaredean" <shop@prolook.com> wrote in message
>>news:7sk9k5h1ujopjl72eeksrv1obo34dm0gj8@4ax.com...
>>>I appreciate all of the replies to this thread - i am leaning towards
>>> having it all inhouse for the benifit of having control over it and i
>>> - personally (and this is kind of a silly reason) i like when someone
>>> sends an e-mail we don't have to wait for it to "pop" through which
>>> can take up to 5 minutes...i know i can reduce those settings, but it
>>> isn't suggested to reduce them very much incase it starts multiple
>>> sessions over the top of each other...
>>>
>>> But, one thing i am worried about is the fact that our mailbox size is
>>> quite large as it is...10 years of 25 users accumilating has taken its
>>> toll...right now the size is:
>>>
>>> priv1.edb: 45 gig
>>> priv1.stm: 33 gig
>>>
>>> So, bringing on 10 more users shouldn't push us over the limit (unless
>>> the limit is the two combined have to be under 75 gig?  then we are
>>> over for sure...) - but i don't want to be stressed over it...we
>>> e-mail a lot of larger illustrator files to clients so that is why our
>>> messaging system is so large...i'm setting up a webservice for this to
>>> cut down on things, but until then who knows...
>>>
>>> I'm sure i can "archive" off a lot of it, but like the idea of having
>>> access to older mail and searching it, etc. and don't know an easy way
>>> to do that - maybe 2008 has something?
>>>
>>> jared
>>>
>>> On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 19:25:56 -0700, Jaredean <shop@prolook.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>>Up to this point i've used SBS 2003 with POP3 (using Popbeamer)...the
>>>>reason i chose this from the get go was because we have about 15 users
>>>>here on site and about another 20 that are scattered across the globe.
>>>>I didn't want to be in charge of mail for those that weren't here
>>>>remotely, so figured just using the POP3 route was the way to go.
>>>>
>>>>Well, i'm preparing to move to SBS 2008 and REALLY want to set it up
>>>>as a true Exchange server hosing the mail.  But, again, am not sure i
>>>>want to deal with the other 20 users if i don't have to.  So, is there
>>>>a way to set up Exchange for here in the office only, but have other
>>>>mailboxes go to our host (CrystalTech) so they can use POP mail?  Or
>>>>am I too concerned for no reason?  We do have a VERY large Exchange -
>>>>which is another concern - bumping into the 75 gig size limit with
>>>>everyones mail...
>>>>
>>>>jared
>> 
0
Russ
1/7/2010 3:13:56 AM
Here is some instructions
http://www.petri.co.il/defragment_exchange_2000_2003_server_databases.htm
Russ

-- 
Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]
Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
Microsoft Certified Small Business Specialist
World Wide 24hr SBS Remote Support - http://www.SBITS.Biz
Microsoft Online Services - http://www.microsoft-online-services.com


"Russ SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]" <russ@REMOVETHIS.sbits.biz> wrote in message 
news:#2j4zd0jKHA.4672@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Did you perform a offline defrag of exchange?
> Russ
>
> -- 
> Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]
> Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
> Microsoft Certified Small Business Specialist
> World Wide 24hr SBS Remote Support - http://www.SBITS.Biz
> Microsoft Online Services - http://www.microsoft-online-services.com
>
>
> "Jaredean" <shop@prolook.com> wrote in message 
> news:6ojak5hldp2qoogprtauq4sm3u4k0jb3tq@4ax.com...
>> Could there be some space that needs "compressed"?  I removed a lot of
>> users mail that are no longer employeed here and thought it should
>> have reduced the file side, but i'm not seeing much reduction...
>>
>> jared
>>
>> On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 14:30:33 -0800, "SteveB" <newsgroup@public.lan>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Yes it's 75 GB combined for those 2 files so you are theoretically 
>>>already
>>>over the limit. I think you need to take some immediate steps to reduce 
>>>the
>>>size. Exchange 2007 in SBS 2008 doesn't have the 75 GB limit, but still 
>>>for
>>>a small business with only 25 users that is a lot of mail to deal with.
>>>
>>>"Jaredean" <shop@prolook.com> wrote in message
>>>news:7sk9k5h1ujopjl72eeksrv1obo34dm0gj8@4ax.com...
>>>>I appreciate all of the replies to this thread - i am leaning towards
>>>> having it all inhouse for the benifit of having control over it and i
>>>> - personally (and this is kind of a silly reason) i like when someone
>>>> sends an e-mail we don't have to wait for it to "pop" through which
>>>> can take up to 5 minutes...i know i can reduce those settings, but it
>>>> isn't suggested to reduce them very much incase it starts multiple
>>>> sessions over the top of each other...
>>>>
>>>> But, one thing i am worried about is the fact that our mailbox size is
>>>> quite large as it is...10 years of 25 users accumilating has taken its
>>>> toll...right now the size is:
>>>>
>>>> priv1.edb: 45 gig
>>>> priv1.stm: 33 gig
>>>>
>>>> So, bringing on 10 more users shouldn't push us over the limit (unless
>>>> the limit is the two combined have to be under 75 gig?  then we are
>>>> over for sure...) - but i don't want to be stressed over it...we
>>>> e-mail a lot of larger illustrator files to clients so that is why our
>>>> messaging system is so large...i'm setting up a webservice for this to
>>>> cut down on things, but until then who knows...
>>>>
>>>> I'm sure i can "archive" off a lot of it, but like the idea of having
>>>> access to older mail and searching it, etc. and don't know an easy way
>>>> to do that - maybe 2008 has something?
>>>>
>>>> jared
>>>>
>>>> On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 19:25:56 -0700, Jaredean <shop@prolook.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>Up to this point i've used SBS 2003 with POP3 (using Popbeamer)...the
>>>>>reason i chose this from the get go was because we have about 15 users
>>>>>here on site and about another 20 that are scattered across the globe.
>>>>>I didn't want to be in charge of mail for those that weren't here
>>>>>remotely, so figured just using the POP3 route was the way to go.
>>>>>
>>>>>Well, i'm preparing to move to SBS 2008 and REALLY want to set it up
>>>>>as a true Exchange server hosing the mail.  But, again, am not sure i
>>>>>want to deal with the other 20 users if i don't have to.  So, is there
>>>>>a way to set up Exchange for here in the office only, but have other
>>>>>mailboxes go to our host (CrystalTech) so they can use POP mail?  Or
>>>>>am I too concerned for no reason?  We do have a VERY large Exchange -
>>>>>which is another concern - bumping into the 75 gig size limit with
>>>>>everyones mail...
>>>>>
>>>>>jared
>>> 
0
Russ
1/7/2010 3:16:18 AM
Thanks Russ, i did that years ago but haven't recently...

jared


On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 19:16:18 -0800, "Russ SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]"
<russ@REMOVETHIS.sbits.biz> wrote:

>Here is some instructions
>http://www.petri.co.il/defragment_exchange_2000_2003_server_databases.htm
>Russ
0
Jaredean
1/7/2010 4:31:43 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

loading a stand alone version publisher 2000 with oem version office 97 in ME ma
I have a me machine with an OEM office 97 package. I purchased a stand alone version of publishier 2000. While installing I enter the product code and since I do not have internet on that machine I called got a number, read it back, double checked it etc. typed it in and it says the number is not valid. so I say OK and get into publisher, look at the HELP>ABOUT and it shows my OEM product id. how can I get it to keep the right number? Might try the cleanup utility... Do you still have your 97 disks? When you say Office 97, did this include Publisher 98? This utility works wit...

Cant see mail properties on users
Just got EX2007 installed. When I create a new mailbox for an existing user I do not see the the exchange tabs when I open the users properties. Did I do something wrong? Thanks. On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 12:52:01 -0800, D303M <D303M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Just got EX2007 installed. When I create a new mailbox for an existing user I >do not see the the exchange tabs when I open the users properties. Did I do >something wrong? > >Thanks. You mean in ADUC? Use the EMC to view that info instead. ...

Exchange 2003 Reaches 16GB Limit
My Exchange 2003 standard edition complains of reaching 16GB even though the mailbox store shows a combined size of about 2GB. Priv1.edb is reading 15.8GB. What could be the cause of this. This server is only handling 50 users and is 2 months old. The largest mailbox is about 107MB. First, it's the _combined_ size of priv1.edb and priv1.stm that is limited to 16GB in the Std Edition. You could start by reading MSKB article 828070 which will show you how to _temporarily_ increase the permitted DB size so that you can delete stuff. Gordon "Leonard Okoh" <lokoh@tranterse...

Exchange 5.5 SMTP
I am trying to route outbound SMTP mail to a child and parent domain using two seperate smart hosts. I do not want to use DNS to resolve these two address. Can this be accomplished using the address space, routing, or connection tabs of the IMS? I have tried using the email domain and listing the child and parent, but I am unable to use * or other wildcards to represent the child domain Y.NET 198.155.2. X.Y.NET 198.155.2. SMTP conversation between servers starts with a DNS lookup of the MX record to find the other server. I don't get what you are trying to do here?? or what you want...

Remote Server did not respond to a connection attempt
My exchange 2003 has been working until 1/25/2005 when it suddenly began to queue up email with the information that 'The remote server did not respond to a connection attempt.' I've reviewed my settings (which haven't changed) and checked to see if I have been put on a spam list (not). Any help in this would be appreciated. Thanks. Dan FYI: It was also on this day that Active Sync began to fail with a 3005 error. OMA and OWA as well as RPC over HTTP continue to work. Hope this additional info helps. Thanks "Dan Slaby" <dslaby3@comcast.net> wrote in...

using Outlook on local machine with domain user account
I have a small network running with w2k domain. Client computers run under w2k pro and have Office 2000 installed. * When I log on locally (with administrative privileges) Outlook works fine. * When I log on to the domain (using any domain user account) Outlook does not start. * When I add a domain user account to local administrators group and log on to the domain Outlook works fine. How to make Outlook working when domain user account is used (without administrative privileges on local machine) or I must use an account that has administrative privileges on local machine to run Outlook? ...

Excel Worksheet menu bars customizing for limiting users to optio.
Customizing Excel worksheet menu bar for limiting users to the options provided in that menu Hi Jim Look also at the links to MS pages on the bottom of this page http://www.rondebruin.com/menuid.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "jim" <jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F8009001-5F5A-4415-9527-34C71D8DF1DB@microsoft.com... > Customizing Excel worksheet menu bar for limiting users to the options > provided in that menu ...

error when deleting mailbox in exchange 55
Hi, i am having problems when trying to delete a mailbox in my exch 55. i receive the error c1040af4. does anybody know how to solve it? ...

domain added then removed from exchange but emails still route to exchange ?
Hi, Was wondering if someone can explain this: added external domainA to accepted domains added domainA mail address to users mailbox (mx was not changed) sent email from mailbox/account/domainB (hosted on exchange server) to domainA , arrived in users mailbox on exchange as expected removed domainA from accepted domains removed domainA email address from users mailbox to domainA , arrived in users mailbox on exchange as expected, arrived in users mailbox, this was not expected. When using Outlook (domainB exchange accounts) and entering the email address user@domainA.co...

Exchange Server/Relay Server Problem
I am in the process of moving all users from our old e-mail domain to the new e-mail domain. The old e-mail accounts reside on a Linux server running QMail with a domain similar to organization.com. All new accounts are being moved to an Exchange Server with the domain name of organization.ca; The Exchange server had been configured to relay all mail through the Linux server. As we moved people to the new domain name (organization.ca) the QMail server was configured to forward the users mail to the new accounts. It did so flawlessly until Friday... On Friday administration decided they...

OU is blocking Exchange attributes
I have a perplexing issue that I am trying to solve. I have one particular OU in our AD structure that will not allow a user account to be populated with any Exchange attributes. Let me explain a little further. In this OU are users that do not have a mail box on our corporate email server, but they need their user account enabled with an email address. I can run the wizard to mail enable the account, but the user properties do not populate with the global settings. Things like the SMTP address, ccMail etc. I can move the user to another OU and have no problem enabling email. The big pr...

Multiple Exchange Servers and Email Router
When installing CRM 4 Email Router in an environment with 2 Exchange servers, where do I need to install the Email Router? it is not requirement in CRM 4.0 to install the exchange router on exchange. All you need to do is to choose the exchange server name while configuring the router . I myself had installed the router on CRM server. /Aamir ...

Move Exchange mailboxes from one Domain to another.
Okay, this is the scenario... I got called in to fix a big mess. I am not the one that set this up! (Just wanted to clear that up. ;)) Windows 2003 network.. 2 Domains Domain one: Active Directory DNS DHCP File Server Domain two: Active Directory DNS Exchange Both domains are under separate forests. The person that set this up setup duplicate user accounts under both domains. Why he didn't put the exchange server under the same domain, I have no clue. I just figure he didn't know what he was doing. So what I have is everyone logging in to Domain one to do their everyday work ...

Remote notification of new mail
I want to have a notification sent to a pager using snpp I am using Outlook 2k client on a exchange 5.5 server. If anyone has a solution I wiould love to here what you have done. CRT crtoner@comcast.net ...

Exchange database size priv1.edb increasing fast
Dear Sirs, Few days ago we start new server (2 processors HT, RAID1, SCSI) with SBS2003 Premium. We noticed that size of Exchange database priv1.edb is big and increasing constantly. During last 24hrs the size increased from 10Gb to 16Gb. The checkbox "Enable circular logging" is set. The Exchange database in prevoius server was 3Gb only, and work almost 1.5 year. What is the cause of this situation? How to stop this process? Is it possible to decrease size of Exchange database? Regards Darek you have to first isolate what is causing the increase go to the system manager and...

How do I reissue a KMS certificate to a user in Exchange
Hi All, I need to know how to reissue a key management service (KMS) certificate to a user.How do we go about this please. Thanks . -- Buchi ...

Best way to save user level Control history?
I am creating a large complex C# WinForm app under VS2008. I have several custom controls where I need to save the history of user entries. For example a search text entry box where I save the last 20 entries on a per user basis. I had originally, thought that creating a .settings file for this purpose would be the way to go. But, lists are difficult to work with programmatically as Property settings. What I have done is saved the history into a System.Collections.Specialized.StringCollection object and then write or read them to a disk folder with a BinaryFormatter.Serialize() ...

Exchange 2003 and High RPC Latency
We have 3 exchange 2003 mailbox servers. Exch1 and Exch2 hold the bulk of our mailboxes (about 3500). These servers are Exchange 2003Std/SP2 with Windows 2003 Enterp/SP2 with 4gb RAM. The logs and databases are on separate SAN LUNs. These servers also have BES agent and Enterprise Vault on them. I mention them because they interface with the mailboxes. We have historically been experiencing continual RPC latency when our users (using Outlook 2007/SP2) try to access mailbox resources like other user calendars. Any ideas where to look? I'm new to Exchg troubleshootin...

Outlook 2003 and Exchange #2
Hello All, Everytime I check my mail on my pop3 server I get the following error message, Receiving reported error (0x80042108) outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (pop3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message ... I have exchange server 2003 installed on this machine as well. ...

restoring exchange 2000 SBS stores to a differnt exchange box...
We are looking at dumping our SBS 2000 box and would like to set up a different win2K box with just the std version of exchange 2000 until such time as we can afford to upgrade to the newest version of exchange. I need to get this up and running asap.Can I setup my new win2k server, running the regular version of exchange 2000 and then once setup restore my sbs exchange 2000 information stores to this new box running the regular version of exchange 2000?? Are the information stores in the sbs 2000 version of exchange the same as the std version of exchange 2000 or will I run ...

Exchange tabs missing.
I have a mixed enviornment of exchange 5.5 and 2003. I have abot 30 users who have exchange tabs missing in ADCU. While other users I can see the tabs. Missing tabs are:- Email address | exchnage feature | Exchange advanced I am not sure what the problem is. Has anybody had any issues like this one. If so how can I get the exchnage tabs for these users. These users have mailboxes in exchange 5.5. Thanks, I also would like to add that. All these 30 users have mailboxes in Exchange 5.5. When I right click any of these users in ADCU and click exchange tasks it asks to create a new mail...

Remote host drop the connection
Hello I have exch2003 and windows2000 with four routing group connected with hub topology style each routing group has one exch2003. from one site routing group connector mail are not reaching to hub routing group site and are stuck in queue and then it will create unreachable queue on that routing group server. I we see the status of connector in state container it is saying unreachable. Even though I can ping by name, FQDN and IP from both sides and even telnet 25 port from both sites working no problem. What could be the problem Nagori ...

Cleanup after migration to Exchange 2003 part 2
Hi I've finished migrating from an Exchange 5.5 org with 4 sites to an Exchange 2003 org that also has the 4 sites as AGs. I have also switched to native mode. Followed the instructions to the letter as specified in the deployment wizard tool and also the deployment guide. Are there any docs on how to collapse the old AGs into one and move all the servers into the one AG, or can this be done. There are also routing groups in all 4 AGs. Thanks RajiA Unfortuantely, you can not move servers between administrative groups - even in native mode. You can however move mailboxes, so you cou...

WEB Query in Office For Mac 2004
I have one simple question Does the function "WEB QUERY" in excel of OFFICE 2004 FOR MAC exist. I have a trail verison of OFFICE 2004 FOR MAC but this feature does not exist. I like this option and use it alot at work on the WINDOWS version. Having this option would sway me to buying it for sure. THANKS In article <944a5172.0409260409.68a71831@posting.google.com>, simon.simonblack@gmail.com (Simon Black) wrote: > Does the function "WEB QUERY" in excel of OFFICE 2004 FOR MAC exist. I > have a trail verison of OFFICE 2004 FOR MAC but this feature does not ...

Remote options to CRM 3.0
What are my options to let end users access CRM 3.0 off our regular network? Web Page - Webpage must be SSL, in order to encrypted the data Offline Outlook client Mobile Device Option VPN Thanks, Eric Sabo May also consider Terminal Service/Critix Client. Frank Lee, Microsoft CRM MVP Workopia, Inc. http://microsoft-crm.spaces.live.com http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm "Sabo, Eric" wrote: > What are my options to let end users access CRM 3.0 off our regular network? > > Web Page - Webpage must be SSL, in order to encrypted the data > Offline Outlook client > M...