Exchange 2007 on SBS 2008 - Dissappearing GAL Users

Hello All -

I'm having a very odd problem on my clients new Dell Server that's running
SBS 2008 w/ Exchange 2007.

I created myself and one user and both of us appeared in the Global Address
List (GAL) within Outlook. When I created two new users, at a later time,
those two users are now not found within the GAL.

If I double click the GAL, it will show that the members are all 4 of us,
but when it comes to actually selecting one of them, they're not there.

Furthermore, what's odd, is that the other user besides myself whom I
created initially with myself, CAN see those other users in her GAL.

I've used that tool in SBS2008 to check the 'mailNickname' and it's correct
for both of them.

I was reading that I would need to delete the user, and recreate it, etc.

But does anyone know if:

Exchange SP2 would fix this?

and if I can install Exchange SP2 without any issues (other than the
installer having problems) ?

Thank you.
Stephen

Doesn't sound like an Exchange issue to me.  Exchange, as you described,
shows 4 members.  The second user can see the the updated GAL as well.
Sounds like an outlook issue to me.

Is outlook operating offline?  It'll used a cached offline address book if
it is, and that may not be updating properly.  Could just be a corrupt
outlook profile as well.  Check to see if you can see the users via OWA.

-Cliff

"Stephen" <Stephen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello All -
>
> I'm having a very odd problem on my clients new Dell Server that's running
> SBS 2008 w/ Exchange 2007.
>
> I created myself and one user and both of us appeared in the Global
> Address
> List (GAL) within Outlook. When I created two new users, at a later time,
> those two users are now not found within the GAL.
>
> If I double click the GAL, it will show that the members are all 4 of us,
> but when it comes to actually selecting one of them, they're not there.
>
> Furthermore, what's odd, is that the other user besides myself whom I
> created initially with myself, CAN see those other users in her GAL.
>
> I've used that tool in SBS2008 to check the 'mailNickname' and it's
> correct
> for both of them.
>
> I was reading that I would need to delete the user, and recreate it, etc.
>
> But does anyone know if:
>
> Exchange SP2 would fix this?
>
> and if I can install Exchange SP2 without any issues (other than the
> installer having problems) ?
>
> Thank you.
> Stephen

0
Cliff
12/1/2009 1:11:55 PM
"Cliff Galiher" <cgaliher@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Doesn't sound like an Exchange issue to me.  Exchange, as you described,
> shows 4 members.  The second user can see the the updated GAL as well.
> Sounds like an outlook issue to me.
>
> Is outlook operating offline?  It'll used a cached offline address book if
> it is, and that may not be updating properly.  Could just be a corrupt
> outlook profile as well.  Check to see if you can see the users via OWA.
>
> -Cliff

Also to add, if in cached mode, the client may not see an update to the GAL
(such as when a new user gets added) until the next time offline OAB is
pulled.

Ace

0
Ace
12/1/2009 2:43:32 PM
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your post and Cliff & Ace's input.

Based on the symptoms I also think it is more likely a MAPI client(Outlook) issue rather than a Exchange server side issue. Can you use your OWA instead of Outlook to
verify it? Otherwise, like others indicated, change Cached Mode(if used) to Online Mode or create a new Outlook profile to see if it changes.

How to create a new e-mail profile in Outlook 2007 and in Outlook 2003
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829918/en-us>

Hope this helps. Also, if you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,
Robbin Meng(MSFT)
Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support

Please post your SBS 2008 related questions to the SBS newsgroup on Connect website:
https://connect.microsoft.com/sbs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx

Please post your EBS related questions to the EBS newsgroup on Connect website:
https://connect.microsoft.com/ebs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx

If you want to use a newsreader other than a web forum to access these newsgroups,
please refer to the following blog to apply NNTP password and configure a newsreader:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2008/11/02/signing-up-for-the-sbs-2008-newsgroups.aspx

Exchange Email Size Limit
Hi, I'm trying to send an email that is 26MB in size and configure Exchange 2003 SP2 to allow it. Each time I try and send the email I receive the following undeliverable; "Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: something The following recipient(s) could not be reached: something@something.com on 29/11/2005 11:54 This message is larger than the current system limit or the recipient's mailbox is full. Create a shorter message body or remove attachments and try sending it again. <Server.domain ...

Use Cached Exchange Mode is "greyed out"
When using Outlook 2003 & Windows 2003 Terminal services the option for Use Cached Exchange Mode is "greyed out" even logged in as Administrator. Any Help Thanks Bill I don't believe it works on TS. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] http://www.poremsky.com - http://www.cdolive.com Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Expert Zone http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone Search for answers: http://groups.google.com Most recent posts to the Outlook newsgroups: http://groups.google.com/groups?as_ugroup=microsoft.public.outlook.*&num=30 "RX Bill"...

Hosted Project Server 2007 / 2010
Hi- Anyone currently using a hosted instance of Project Server 2007? I would be interested in your experiences regarding how well the solution is working for you has it been cheaper than hosting internally your experiences re service packs, CUs, server patch levels etc. vendor resopnse to issues connectivity issues customizability (can you do your own or does vendor need to do them) security backup / restore surprises (hidden costs, inability to do expected functions) We are seriously looking at the costs of moving to 2010 (Sharepoint Enterprise CALS, etc.) and hosting may b...

How to map a shortcut key to a routine in COM AddIn for Excel 2007
1. Background: I have a COM addins developed in Visual basic 6.0 for EXCEL 2007. The COM addin has its toolbar visible. It exposes customized 'Copy' as a button on the toolbar, which will call MyCopyAction routine in the COM addin. 2. What I want: I want to map a shortcut key for the customized 'copy' operation, which indeed invoke the same routine as that on toolbar, i.e. MyCopyAction. 3. What I tried in the COM addin: I added the following line in Private Sub AddinInstance_OnStartupComplete(custom() As Variant) .... Application.OnKey "+^c&...

Exchange 2003 & GFI Faxmaker 10 ???
Hello everybody! We have Exchange 2003 with Win 2003 Domain... We're thinking of installing GFI's Faxmaker 10 in another server (split installation) which will extend the Active Directory Schema (I think it adds a tab, doesn't it? )and we're deeply concerned whether it'll create any kind of problem... Has anybody out there done this ? Must inform that we have GFI MailSecurity 8 installed in VS API mode and no problems encountered so far... I'd really appreciate your answers... Nikos I can tell you from experience that the GFI product isn't that great of a solu...

Chinese computers connecting to Exchange 5.5
Hi, We're trying to get some people in a new Chinese office connected to our Exchange 5.5 SP4 server running on NT 4 via a VPN. They are using Windows XP and Outlook 2003, as we are. When they try to create a MAPI profile, it just times out after forty five seconds when Check Name is clicked. Our firewall shows the RPC and TCP high port connections are occurring. The security event log does show a successful logon. When they try to connect by Outlook Express and POP3, they get a message of "There is no such mailbox on this server" when there definitely is. They are able to u...

Read Receipts
Good evening! I am thinking that read receipts are more an Outlook issue than an Exchange issue but wanted to ask here. We have a client who is secretly having us forward all e-mails sent to "PersonX" forwarded to the CEO (and then sent - via rule - to a specific sub-folder of his Inbox). Additionally, I have set up a Transport Rule to forward all outbound e-mails that "PersonX" sends to the CEO. The rule is very basic.... 1) check messages when they arrive 2) from people or distribution list (then select "PersonX") 3) move it to the specifi...

sbs 2003 mail stays in queue
Hello, a sbs2003 server has a problem with one user. when i send a mail internal or external to this user it comes in the exchange queue but never reaches the mailbox. mailadres is correct. also when i use webmail on the server (server/exchange) and login with that user and send a email to himself it appears in the send items but never in the inbox. Also no errors in the event log. can anyone help me out? regards Marc Hi Mark: What does message tracking show you? Also turn up all logging in Exchange System Manager to max and see what that shows. Or, copy the existi...

CRM SBS install and uninstall error
The install (reinstall) or uninstall MS CRM 3.0 on SBS2003 Premium does not work. During "Executing Install (or Uninstall) action" I receive Warning: "Failed to remove the Microsoft CRM-Fax Router Service" and then Error: "System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.RegisterFaxService failed." "The configuration registry key is invalid". How can I uninstall CRM completely or install it properly? Help me please. Any suggestion will be appreciated. Regards Renio ...

Installing Service Packs on Exchange Server 2003
Have one Exchange 2003 front End server and two Exchange 2003 back end servers. Have not installed any service packs on these systems yet. Just got OK from change control board to install these. Just wanted to know what would be the best process to install these ? Do I need to go to SP1 first then SP2 or does SP2 contain SP1 updates as well? Do I do the front end server first? Thanks! On Wed, 31 May 2006 12:58:02 -0700, D303M <D303M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Have one Exchange 2003 front End server and two Exchange 2003 back end >servers. Have not installed any s...

Outlook 2000 unable to connect to Exchange 2003 mailbox
I've just moved over 2500 users from Ex2K servers to Ex2K3. At the same time I also changed the Directory Access servers to use specific DCs and GCs, rather than leaving it set to automatic. The day after moving the mailboxes all was fine...but after a couple of days users report problems when accessing their mailboxes. When the open Outlook and choose 'Connect' Outlook freezes. When they open Outlook in Offline mode and hit Send and Receive it gets to the Retrieving mail stage before again freezing. I've since returned Directory Access to Automatic and the only way I&...

Optimize Exchange 2003 for large mail loads
We have exchange 2003 on a windows 2000 machine configured with basic default settings. It is in a domain setting and we have people that use outlook to pull mail from the server. These individuals receive about 1000 mails a day. When gone to lunch, there are about 2-3 hundred mails when they return. The problem we have is when they log back on and try to pull mail from the exchange. The outlook crashes. When they pull smaller groups of mail through out the day, they are fine. There are only 4 people here that receive mail like this and we've up the memory on the computers...

Office 2000 & 2007 in Windows 7
Hi, Can anyone confirm that Office 2000 is fully compatible with Windows 7? Can we install Office 2000 and Office 2007 together in the same computer? Thanks in advance, Garu Yes, on both counts. But in respect of the latter, see the NoRereg section of the following page of fellow MVP Graham Mayor's website: http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm -- Hope this helps, Doug Robbins - Word MVP Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services on a paid professional basis. "Garu" <garrys@brunet.bn> wrote in me...

Exchange IMF
We have recently installed the Exchange Intelligent Message Filter onto our SBS2003 server. It appears to be correctly removing messages when they exceed the Gateway Blocking limit (which we have set to 8) and moving the emails to my specified file system folder. Unfortunately, messages which exceed the Store Junk email limit (which we have set to 2) are not being moved to users' Junk Email folders. What might be causing this? I have monitored the SCLs being assigned to these emails using Performance Counters and they are definitely exceeding the Store Junk email limit but are st...

security setting vista 2007
hi Have created workbook in exel 2002 for a friend that contains some macros. When came to open in vista 2007 on his pc, it would not run macros owing to the security level. Is there a similar low-medium-high under tools as in 2002? I did go into trust centre, but unsure if this has left his pc vunerable owing to clicking a"llow to open all macros" or something like that All help appriciated Brian -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/excel-new/200710/1 Hi One way Add the Developer tab to the ribbon To display the Developer tab go to Of...

Deleted Exchange accounts reappear #2
We have an infrequent issue where Exchange 2000 and 2003 mailboxes sometimes reappear after being deleted. (Some of the users accounts are NT based, and some are AD.) Has anyone else experienced this? If so, is there a remedy. ...

two users
In OE I have two identities, mine and my wifes. I want to do the same in Outlook, but I can't see how? ed See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/olshare1.htm navigator wrote: > In OE I have two identities, mine and my wifes. I want > to do the same in Outlook, but I can't see how? > > ed ...

can i user exchange 2007 client acc & 2003 mailbox?
i have exchange 2003.i would like to install exchange 2007 client access and leave my mailbox on exchange 2003.would i be able to use new owa? No, clients will see the OWA 2003 (or OWA 2000 if the mailbox sits on an Exchange 2000 mailbox server). -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "sham" <shamun@mekorot.co.il> wrote in message news:envBPoGJHHA.2236@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >i have exchange 2003.i would like to install exchange 2007 client access >and > le...

Making actual projects with Excel 2007
I have read several books and so far have basic and general understanding of the mostly use features of Excel 2007. However, I am wondering if there are resources that can help me do actual projects. I learn quickly by doing practical stuff rather then reading a 1000 page book about features and why I should use a certain program. Were can I find tutorials on actual projects? Example: How to make a spread sheet for a grocery store. Any ideas or recommendation will be highly appreciated. Thanks everyone. Ai This may help http://office.microsoft.com/training/training...

Cannot create user mailbox
Hell I'm using Exch2003 on top of W2003 server For some unknown reason, I can't seem to create mailbox for new users. Usually, the process is rather painless, just right click on the user then exchange task, follow the prompt...but no matter what I try, the new mail box address simply refuse to appear in the global address list when the user click on 'to' fro mthe client sid any help is great hel Thank TT If you look at the properties for the user in Active Directory Users and Computers and click on the EMail Address tab, do they have an SMTP address listed? If they dont,...

DPM 2007 SP1: Windows Server 2008 R2: Could not connect to SQL Server Reporting Server because of IIS Connectivity issues
Hi, I'm experiencing "Could not connect to SQL Server Reporting Server because of IIS Connectivity issues" and checked the wildcard script mappong permission for ISAPI Extentions in IIS 7: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795696.aspx Actually in my Windows Server 2008 R2 this was already ok But still it does not work. Did anybody get this to run? Thanks, Adrian Adrian Miller ...

Users unable to receive external mail
Hi there, At the beguining, when I started to post on this group I was having problems to install the exchange 2003 server. Now the problem is other. I finally intalled the exchange and configure it to send internal mails and its working fine. But now, my boss ask me to configure it to send and receive external mail and I did so. the is that users can send external mail but cannot receive. I don't know what is the problem. Please can anyone help me? thanks, shayras On 18 Jul 2006 10:30:12 -0700, shayras2004@yahoo.com.br wrote: >Hi there, > >At the beguining, when I sta...

Share point installation on windows server 2008 R2
I have registered for MS partnership programs and gat the setup CD for Windows Server 2008 R2 and installed it. I have even the sharepoint Installation cd 64-bit. When I tried to install the sharepoint server I got the exception as there are compatibility issues. I have also searched for a solution on microsoft site and I was told that I should install WSS3.0. I have downloaded it and installed. After installation, the sharepoint server also got installed and when I try to add any new document under shared Documents section, I am getting an exception. Would any one help me in ...

Exhcnage Server 2007 Won't Install
Exchange Server 2007 Install Problem I've setup a new Windows 2003 64 Bit Server for running Exchange 2007. I've installed everything (twice now on separate drives) and Exchange Server is giving me the same error: D:\>setup /preparead Welcome to Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Unattended Setup Preparing Exchange Setup Unhandled Exception: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'Microsoft.Ex change.Setup.ExSetup.ExSetup' from assembly 'ExSetup, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=n eutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'. Exchange Server setup encountered an error. ...

Exchange / outlook public folders and DST
Hi, I have MS exchange server 2003 and XP SP 2 fully patched. DST tested ok but for some reasons, appointments in the public folders are still 1 hour off. Your help is appreciated...(EST Time). Thanx You need to run the rebasing tools against Public Folders that contain Calendar items (type IPM.Appointment). You can do this using the patched Time Zone Data Update Tool for Microsoft Office Outlook (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=933146), or using the Exchange Calendar Update Tool v2 with the patched Outlook tool (when bulk rebasing appointments by an admin). The following post on t...