Default roles missing after fresh install SBS 2008

After a fresh install something failed.
no default roles was created wich means the consol dont work.

I can create users and groups the old fashion way in AD

but in the console i only get " the console feature is not set up correct"

from what i can see there are no defualt roles

no roles made at all in fact

In Ad I hade to make "MyBusiness" manualy
but im sure lots a both roles and standard users are missing

what should the OU under My business look like?

så my question is how do i fix this
without install all over again

is it possible to create these roles ( templates) manualy

i tried repair consol.....do nothing

Coach wrote:
> After a fresh install something failed.
> no default roles was created wich means the consol dont work.
>
> I can create users and groups the old fashion way in AD
>
> but in the console i only get " the console feature is not set up correct"
>
> from what i can see there are no defualt roles
>
> no roles made at all in fact
>
> In Ad I hade to make "MyBusiness" manualy
> but im sure lots a both roles and standard users are missing
>
> what should the OU under My business look like?
>
> så my question is how do i fix this
> without install all over again
>
> is it possible to create these roles ( templates) manualy
>

> i tried repair consol.....do nothing

SBS Console feature is not setup correctly:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-CA/windowsserver2008r2general/thread/7ce56ebc-1972-467a-9ea0-6b2886e84046

Did you disable Standard User, Network Administrator and Local
administrator by any chance?
0
Susan
4/14/2010 7:10:17 AM

"Susan Bradley" wrote:

> Coach wrote:
> > After a fresh install something failed.
> > no default roles was created wich means the consol dont work.
> >
> > I can create users and groups the old fashion way in AD
> >
> > but in the console i only get " the console feature is not set up correct"
> >
> > from what i can see there are no defualt roles
> >
> > no roles made at all in fact
> >
> > In Ad I hade to make "MyBusiness" manualy
> > but im sure lots a both roles and standard users are missing
> >
> > what should the OU under My business look like?
> >
> > så my question is how do i fix this
> > without install all over again
> >
> > is it possible to create these roles ( templates) manualy
> >

> > i tried repair consol.....do nothing
> >

> SBS Console feature is not setup correctly:
> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-CA/windowsserver2008r2general/thread/7ce56ebc-1972-467a-9ea0-6b2886e84046
>
> Did you disable Standard User, Network Administrator and Local
> administrator by any chance?
> .

problem is they dont excist at all
Did you disable Standard User, Network Administrator and Local
didnt geet created
and no users named SBS...

------=_NextPart_000_05C9_01CADBA4.DFDD1D10

So you really need to flatten the box and reinstall until it's working =
correctly
Any chance there are multiple nics in the server?

--=20
Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)
Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed
http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/06723295=
73/ref=3Dpd_bbs_sr_1?ie=3DUTF8&s=3Dbooks&qid=3D1217269967&sr=3D8-1
Owner, CPU Services, Belleville, IL
A Microsoft Registered Partner
------------------------------------
MVPs do not work for Microsoft
Please do not submit questions directly to me.

  "Coach" <Coach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message =
  After a fresh install something failed.
  no default roles was created wich means the consol dont work.

  I can create users and groups the old fashion way in AD

  but in the console i only get " the console feature is not set up =
correct"

  from what i can see there are no defualt roles

  no roles made at all in fact

  In Ad I hade to make "MyBusiness" manualy
  but im sure lots a both roles and standard users are missing

  what should the OU under My business look like?

  s=C3=A5 my question is how do i fix this
  without install all over again

  is it possible to create these roles ( templates) manualy

  =20

  i tried repair consol.....do nothing

------=_NextPart_000_05C9_01CADBA4.DFDD1D10

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>So you really need to flatten the box =
and reinstall=20
until it's working correctly</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Any chance there are multiple nics in =
the=20
server?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>-- <BR>Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)<BR>Co-Contributor, =
Windows=20
Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/=
0672329573/ref=3Dpd_bbs_sr_1?ie=3DUTF8&amp;s=3Dbooks&amp;qid=3D1217269967=
&amp;sr=3D8-1">http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleas=
hed/dp/0672329573/ref=3Dpd_bbs_sr_1?ie=3DUTF8&amp;s=3Dbooks&amp;qid=3D121=
7269967&amp;sr=3D8-1</A><BR>Owner,=20
CPU Services, Belleville, IL<BR>A Microsoft Registered=20
Partner<BR>------------------------------------<BR>MVPs do not work for=20
Microsoft<BR>Please do not submit questions directly to me.<BR></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>"Coach" &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:Coach@discussions.microsoft.com">Coach@discussions.microso=
ft.com</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:E021AB80-21F4-40B1-A6BE-63EE60086468@microsoft.com">news:E02=
1AB80-21F4-40B1-A6BE-63EE60086468@microsoft.com</A>...</DIV>After=20
  a fresh install something failed.<BR>no default roles was created wich =
means=20
  the consol dont work.<BR><BR>I can create users and groups the old =
fashion way=20
  in AD<BR><BR>but in the console i only get " the console feature is =
not set up=20
  correct"<BR><BR>from what i can see there are no defualt =
roles<BR><BR>no roles=20
  made at all in fact<BR><BR>In Ad I hade to make "MyBusiness" =
manualy<BR>but im=20
  sure lots a both roles and standard users are missing<BR><BR>what =
should the=20
  OU under My business look like?<BR><BR>s=C3=A5 my question is how do i =
fix=20
  this<BR>without install all over again<BR><BR>is it possible to create =
these=20
  roles ( templates) manualy<BR><BR>&nbsp;<BR><BR>i tried repair =
consol.....do=20
  nothing<BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_05C9_01CADBA4.DFDD1D10--

0
Cris

------=_NextPart_000_0034_01CADBB6.41CD60F0

Clean install or migration install?

Did you choose the option to install updates during the installation?

What was the first name and last name you specified for the =
Administrator account?

Can you post or attach the sbssetup.log file?

If this was truly a fresh install (meaning you created a brand new =
domain instead of joining an existing domain), then I'm with Cris Hanna; =
flatten the box and reinstall.

--=20
Chris Puckett

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no =
rights.

  "Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]" <crisnospamhanna@cpunospamservices.net> wrote =
in message news:ucTvJ782KHA.3844@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
[...]

15px"=20
id=3DMailContainerBody leftMargin=3D0 topMargin=3D0 bgColor=3D#ffffff=20
CanvasTabStop=3D"true" name=3D"Compose message area">
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Clean install or migration =
install?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Did you choose the option to install =
updates during=20
the installation?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>What was the first name and last name =
you specified=20
for the Administrator account?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Can you post or attach the sbssetup.log =

file?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>If this was truly a fresh install =
(meaning you=20
created a brand new domain instead of joining an existing domain), then =
I'm with=20
Cris Hanna; flatten the box and reinstall.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>-- <BR>Chris Puckett</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no =

rights.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"=20
dir=3Dltr>
  <DIV>"Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]" &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:crisnospamhanna@cpunospamservices.net">crisnospamhanna@cpu=
nospamservices.net</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:ucTvJ782KHA.3844@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl">news:ucTvJ782KHA.3844=
@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl</A>...</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>So you really need to flatten the box =
and=20
  reinstall until it's working correctly</FONT></DIV>
    wrote in message <A=20
    =
href=3D"news:E021AB80-21F4-40B1-A6BE-63EE60086468@microsoft.com">news:E02=
1AB80-21F4-40B1-A6BE-63EE60086468@microsoft.com</A>...</DIV>After=20
    a fresh install something failed.<BR>no default roles was created =
wich means=20
    the consol dont work.<BR><BR>I can create users and groups the old =
fashion=20
    way in AD<BR><BR>but in the console i only get " the console feature =
is not=20
    set up correct"<BR><BR>from what i can see there are no defualt=20
    roles<BR><BR>no roles made at all in fact<BR><BR>In Ad I hade to =
make=20
    "MyBusiness" manualy<BR>but im sure lots a both roles and standard =
users are=20
    missing<BR><BR>what should the OU under My business look =
like?<BR><BR>s=C3=A5 my=20
    question is how do i fix this<BR>without install all over =
again<BR><BR>is it=20
    possible to create these roles ( templates) =
manualy<BR><BR>&nbsp;<BR><BR>i=20
    tried repair consol.....do=20
nothing<BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0034_01CADBB6.41CD60F0--

0
Chris
4/14/2010 2:38:36 PM

"Chris Puckett [MSFT]" wrote:
Clean install or migration install? clean out of the box

Did you choose the option to install updates during the installation? yes

Can you post or attach the sbssetup.log file?
i will look it up

If this was truly a fresh install (meaning you created a brand new domain
instead of joining an existing domain), then I'm with Cris Hanna; flatten the
box and reinstall.  brand new...new domain

nothing from the old server

thing is
the server is working fine
AD works the old way
wsus is working
sharepoint is working
exchnage working

the only thing aint working from what i know now is the sbs consol
atlest not working with users or groups
computers show up in the console

from hours of serahing the webb
im very sure its because of the default roles
they just aint there

it has to be possible to create these roles manualy

screendums from the console
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/3856/sbs1.jpg

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/4928/sbs2o.jpg

everything hans up here cuz of no roles

***
the thing is the server is allready in use
and as I Said its doing the job
but it buggs me to have a brand new server and SBS that is not all 100%

so its really hard for me to do the job all over
my workplace is a 24/7 bussines

"Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]" wrote:

> So you really need to flatten the box and reinstall until it's working correctly
> Any chance there are multiple nics in the server?

Nope just one NIC

> --
> Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)
> Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed
> http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/0672329573/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217269967&sr=8-1
> Owner, CPU Services, Belleville, IL
> A Microsoft Registered Partner
> ------------------------------------
> MVPs do not work for Microsoft
> Please do not submit questions directly to me.
>
>   "Coach" <Coach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E021AB80-21F4-40B1-A6BE-63EE60086468@microsoft.com...
>   After a fresh install something failed.
>   no default roles was created wich means the consol dont work.
>
>   I can create users and groups the old fashion way in AD
>
>   but in the console i only get " the console feature is not set up correct"
>
>   from what i can see there are no defualt roles
>
>   no roles made at all in fact
>
>   In Ad I hade to make "MyBusiness" manualy
>   but im sure lots a both roles and standard users are missing
>
>   what should the OU under My business look like?
>
>   så my question is how do i fix this
>   without install all over again
>
>   is it possible to create these roles ( templates) manualy
>

>   i tried repair consol.....do nothing

------=_NextPart_000_0081_01CADBD7.BE3B9D70

Was the console working before you rolled this out and put it in use?

  "Chris Puckett [MSFT]" wrote:
  Clean install or migration install? clean out of the box

  Did you choose the option to install updates during the installation? =
yes

  Can you post or attach the sbssetup.log file?
  i will look it up

  If this was truly a fresh install (meaning you created a brand new =
domain=20
  instead of joining an existing domain), then I'm with Cris Hanna; =
flatten the=20
[...]

<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Was the console working before you =
rolled this out=20
and put it in use?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
[...]
  wrote in message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:F2A7C874-11DC-4F28-BA76-01DC56D124D0@microsoft.com">news:F2A=
7C874-11DC-4F28-BA76-01DC56D124D0@microsoft.com</A>...</DIV><BR><BR>"Chri=
s=20
  Puckett [MSFT]" wrote:<BR>Clean install or migration install? clean =
out of the=20
  box<BR><BR>Did you choose the option to install updates during the=20
  installation? yes<BR><BR><BR>Can you post or attach the sbssetup.log=20
  file?<BR>i will look it up<BR><BR>If this was truly a fresh install =
(meaning=20
  you created a brand new domain <BR>instead of joining an existing =
domain),=20
  then I'm with Cris Hanna; flatten the <BR>box and reinstall.&nbsp; =
brand=20
  new...new domain<BR><BR>nothing from the old server<BR><BR>thing =
is<BR>the=20
  server is working fine<BR>AD works the old way<BR>wsus is=20
  working<BR>sharepoint is working<BR>exchnage working<BR><BR><BR>the =
only thing=20
  aint working from what i know now is the sbs consol<BR>atlest not =
working with=20
  users or groups<BR>computers show up in the console<BR><BR>from hours =
of=20
  serahing the webb<BR>im very sure its because of the default =
roles<BR>they=20
  just aint there<BR><BR>it has to be possible to create these roles=20
  manualy<BR><BR>screendums from the console<BR><A=20
  =
href=3D"http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/3856/sbs1.jpg">http://img522.i=
mageshack.us/img522/3856/sbs1.jpg</A><BR><BR><A=20
  =
href=3D"http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/4928/sbs2o.jpg">http://img708.=
imageshack.us/img708/4928/sbs2o.jpg</A><BR><BR>everything=20
  hans up here cuz of no roles<BR><BR>***<BR>the thing is the server is =
allready=20
  in use<BR>and as I Said its doing the job<BR>but it buggs me to have a =
brand=20
  new server and SBS that is not all 100%<BR><BR>so its really hard for =
me to do=20
  the job all over<BR>my workplace is a 24/7=20
bussines<BR><BR><BR>&gt;</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0081_01CADBD7.BE3B9D70--

0
Cris
4/14/2010 6:38:18 PM

"Coach" wrote:

> "Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]" wrote:
>
> > So you really need to flatten the box and reinstall until it's working correctly
> > Any chance there are multiple nics in the server?
> >
> Nope just one NIC

nothing is installed
http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/1802/sbs3.jpg

is it possible to install this without a format and reinstall?

my guess is the installation faild with somekind of network thing during
install

Task: In Task DcPromo: The server was not promoted to a domain controller.

so....reinstall or ?

if i have to reinstall
can i back up my entire exchnage?
so i atlest dont have to save down all pst files again

Coach wrote:
> "Coach" wrote:
>

>> "Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]" wrote:
>>

>>> So you really need to flatten the box and reinstall until it's working correctly
>>> Any chance there are multiple nics in the server?
>>>

>> Nope just one NIC
>>

> nothing is installed
> http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/1802/sbs3.jpg
>
> is it possible to install this without a format and reinstall?
>
> my guess is the installation faild with somekind of network thing during
> install
>
> Task: In Task DcPromo: The server was not promoted to a domain controller.
>
> so....reinstall or ?
>
> if i have to reinstall
> can i back up my entire exchnage?
> so i atlest dont have to save down all pst files again

Can you post up the setup log file from the server?
0
Susan
4/15/2010 10:43:32 PM
http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/1802/sbs3.jpg

as u can see here nothing seems to be installd
im sure its a netwark connection failure during install

i set up a new sbs2008 on a pc  just to see
works like a charm
diffrens is that the pc version has a disabeld administrator account
and my server dont

***
my only question is if there is anyway its possible to repair this
regular sbs cosnsole repair does nothing

what i need is the 3 default user templates
i guess... :(
i dont have any users or groups named sbs....

im about to give up about this
logfile says fatal error not promoted domiancontroller

Unfortunately, the guidance for this error message is to start over.

Resolution    Due to the number of complex product interactions and
dependent tasks related to the failure in promoting the server to a domain
controller, manual steps to recover from this failure cannot be provided at
this time.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc626262(WS.10).aspx

You are in unchartered territory if you want to try and repair this server
in the state it is in.  You have done a second install, so you could look at
the roles created on it to try recreating them on the first server.

On SBS 2008, there are three user role templates that are created by
default:
1. Standard User
2. Standard User with Administration Links
3. Network Administrator

These user role templates have to be a member of specific Security groups in
Active Directory. You can compare the group membership of these user
accounts with your working machine.
--
Chris Puckett

> http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/1802/sbs3.jpg
>
> as u can see here nothing seems to be installd
> im sure its a netwark connection failure during install
>
> i set up a new sbs2008 on a pc  just to see
> works like a charm
> diffrens is that the pc version has a disabeld administrator account
> and my server dont
>
> ***
> my only question is if there is anyway its possible to repair this
> regular sbs cosnsole repair does nothing
>
> what i need is the 3 default user templates
> i guess... :(
> i dont have any users or groups named sbs....
>
> im about to give up about this
> logfile says fatal error not promoted domiancontroller

0
Chris
4/16/2010 7:21:35 PM
Coach wrote:
> http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/1802/sbs3.jpg
>
> as u can see here nothing seems to be installd
> im sure its a netwark connection failure during install
>
> i set up a new sbs2008 on a pc  just to see
> works like a charm
> diffrens is that the pc version has a disabeld administrator account
> and my server dont
>
> ***
> my only question is if there is anyway its possible to repair this
> regular sbs cosnsole repair does nothing
>
> what i need is the 3 default user templates
> i guess... :(
> i dont have any users or groups named sbs....
>
> im about to give up about this
> logfile says fatal error not promoted domiancontroller

You need more than the default templates.
You don't have a DC here.

logfile says fatal error not promoted domiancontroller

When it finished it should have said that it failed during the install.
This isn't a SBS box.  Backup those user profiles, take then back to a
workgroup and start over.
0
Susan
4/16/2010 9:07:58 PM

"Susan Bradley" wrote:

> Coach wrote:
> > http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/1802/sbs3.jpg
> >
> > as u can see here nothing seems to be installd
> > im sure its a netwark connection failure during install
> >
> > i set up a new sbs2008 on a pc  just to see
> > works like a charm
> > diffrens is that the pc version has a disabeld administrator account
> > and my server dont
> >
> > ***
> > my only question is if there is anyway its possible to repair this
> > regular sbs cosnsole repair does nothing
> >
> > what i need is the 3 default user templates
> > i guess... :(
> > i dont have any users or groups named sbs....
> >
> > im about to give up about this
> > logfile says fatal error not promoted domiancontroller
> >

> You need more than the default templates.
> You don't have a DC here.
>
> logfile says fatal error not promoted domiancontroller
>

> When it finished it should have said that it failed during the install.
> This isn't a SBS box.  Backup those user profiles, take then back to a
> workgroup and start over.
> .

yes im affraid i have to redo it....

strange thing is it IS a DC
The AD is working the old way
computers and priters show up in the consol
backup works
sharepoint works

users/gropus dont

anyway

what would u suggest to be the smarters way to redo it.

i have a new 2008 server but i rather dont mess with that machine because it
runs very importent stuff

i have a new PC wich i installed a sbs2008 on to look how its supposed to look

on the broken sbs2008
i have exchnage running and i guess thats my biggest problem right now.

is this possible.

to set up the pc as a DC move over exchnage and AD to that machine.
same domain name so i dont have to mess on every machine i have.
would prefer to be able to move the printers aswell if possible

and then just reinstall my real sbs2008 and then move the stuff back?

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 02:10:01 -0700, Coach
<Coach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Susan Bradley" wrote:
>
>> Coach wrote:
>> > http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/1802/sbs3.jpg
>> >
>> > as u can see here nothing seems to be installd
>> > im sure its a netwark connection failure during install
>> >
>> > i set up a new sbs2008 on a pc  just to see
>> > works like a charm
>> > diffrens is that the pc version has a disabeld administrator account
>> > and my server dont
>> >
>> > ***
>> > my only question is if there is anyway its possible to repair this
>> > regular sbs cosnsole repair does nothing
>> >
>> > what i need is the 3 default user templates
>> > i guess... :(
>> > i dont have any users or groups named sbs....
>> >
>> > im about to give up about this
>> > logfile says fatal error not promoted domiancontroller
>> >

>> You need more than the default templates.
>> You don't have a DC here.
>>
>> logfile says fatal error not promoted domiancontroller
>>

>> When it finished it should have said that it failed during the install.
>> This isn't a SBS box.  Backup those user profiles, take then back to a
>> workgroup and start over.
>> .
>
>yes im affraid i have to redo it....
>
>strange thing is it IS a DC
>The AD is working the old way
>computers and priters show up in the consol
>backup works
>sharepoint works
>
>users/gropus dont
>
>anyway
>
>what would u suggest to be the smarters way to redo it.
>
>i have a new 2008 server but i rather dont mess with that machine because it
>runs very importent stuff
>
>i have a new PC wich i installed a sbs2008 on to look how its supposed to look
>
>on the broken sbs2008
>i have exchnage running and i guess thats my biggest problem right now.
>
>is this possible.
>
>to set up the pc as a DC move over exchnage and AD to that machine.
>same domain name so i dont have to mess on every machine i have.
>would prefer to be able to move the printers aswell if possible
>
>and then just reinstall my real sbs2008 and then move the stuff back?

Same domain name does not mean it is the same domain. To computers
there is more stuff going on. Kind of like a car. You buy a BMW 530.
Your wife buys a BMW530. Same color, same engine, same transmission,
same interior. But they are not the same as they have different serial
numbers. The police do not consider them the same car. Neither do
insurance companies.

A domain works on security identifiers. Unless you join a domain
controller to an existing working domain, the new DC has a different
identifier that makes it a totally different domain even if you choose
to call the server the same name and the domain the same. Same for
workstations that are joined to a DC that looks the same by name but
are not the same because they were never joined to the original
domain. I might be simplifying the concept but the short answer is all
the workstations will need to join the new SBS domain you create when
you reinstall your SBS successfully.

There are ways to save workstation profiles and import them back to
the "new domain" joined workstations. There are also ways to deal with
email which should be done before you start to reinstall the SBS.

Did anyone review your server specifications to make sure that it is
good enough?
See what SBS support is working on
http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/default.aspx
Check your SBS with the SBS Best Practices Analyzer
http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/tags/BPA/default.aspx
0
Jim
4/19/2010 11:49:58 AM
There is a paper below on migrating SBS 2008 to SBS 2008 (mainly for the
purpose of moving the installation to new hardware).

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc664208(WS.10).aspx

You could try that, but I'm not sure how it will fare given the state of the
current SBS 2008 server.  You could take a similar approach with a non-SBS
2008 server on the interim PC if you got stuck.

--
Chris Puckett

"Jim Behning SBS MVP" <jimbehning@doesthisblockpork.mindspring.com> wrote in
message news:f7gos55jlct0qop82068db3c3rcdbfuqe2@4ax.com...
> [...]
> to call the server the same name and the domain the same. Same for
> workstations that are joined to a DC that looks the same by name but
> are not the same because they were never joined to the original
> domain. I might be simplifying the concept but the short answer is all
> the workstations will need to join the new SBS domain you create when
> you reinstall your SBS successfully.
>
> There are ways to save workstation profiles and import them back to
> the "new domain" joined workstations. There are also ways to deal with
> email which should be done before you start to reinstall the SBS.
>
> Did anyone review your server specifications to make sure that it is
> good enough?
> See what SBS support is working on
> http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/default.aspx
> Check your SBS with the SBS Best Practices Analyzer

4/19/2010 6:15:20 PM

"Jim Behning SBS MVP" wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 02:10:01 -0700, Coach
> <Coach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> >> You need more than the default templates.
> >> You don't have a DC here.
> >>
> >> logfile says fatal error not promoted domiancontroller
> >>

> >> When it finished it should have said that it failed during the install.
> >> This isn't a SBS box.  Backup those user profiles, take then back to a
> >> workgroup and start over.
> >> .
> >
> >yes im affraid i have to redo it....
> >
> >strange thing is it IS a DC
> >The AD is working the old way
> >computers and priters show up in the consol
> >backup works
> >sharepoint works
> >
> >users/gropus dont
> >
> >anyway
> >
> >what would u suggest to be the smarters way to redo it.
> >
> >i have a new 2008 server but i rather dont mess with that machine because it
> >runs very importent stuff
> >
> >i have a new PC wich i installed a sbs2008 on to look how its supposed to look
> >
> >on the broken sbs2008
> >i have exchnage running and i guess thats my biggest problem right now.
> >
> >is this possible.
> >
> >to set up the pc as a DC move over exchnage and AD to that machine.
> >same domain name so i dont have to mess on every machine i have.
> >would prefer to be able to move the printers aswell if possible
> >
> >and then just reinstall my real sbs2008 and then move the stuff back?
> >

> Same domain name does not mean it is the same domain. To computers
> there is more stuff going on. Kind of like a car. You buy a BMW 530.
> Your wife buys a BMW530. Same color, same engine, same transmission,
> same interior. But they are not the same as they have different serial
> numbers. The police do not consider them the same car. Neither do
> insurance companies.
>
> A domain works on security identifiers. Unless you join a domain
> controller to an existing working domain, the new DC has a different
> identifier that makes it a totally different domain even if you choose
> to call the server the same name and the domain the same. Same for
> workstations that are joined to a DC that looks the same by name but
> are not the same because they were never joined to the original
> domain. I might be simplifying the concept but the short answer is all
> the workstations will need to join the new SBS domain you create when
> you reinstall your SBS successfully.
>
> There are ways to save workstation profiles and import them back to
> the "new domain" joined workstations. There are also ways to deal with
> email which should be done before you start to reinstall the SBS.
>
> Did anyone review your server specifications to make sure that it is
> good enough?
> See what SBS support is working on
> http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/default.aspx
> Check your SBS with the SBS Best Practices Analyzer
> http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/tags/BPA/default.aspx
> .

hmm ok im with u
SBS Secondary Domain Controller is that something i could use?

i really dont wanna redo all clients and i really dont wanna redo exchnage

the actual install is not a big deal
:)

"Jim Behning SBS MVP" wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 02:10:01 -0700, Coach
> <Coach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> >> You need more than the default templates.
> >> You don't have a DC here.
> >>
> >> logfile says fatal error not promoted domiancontroller
> >>

> >> When it finished it should have said that it failed during the install.
> >> This isn't a SBS box.  Backup those user profiles, take then back to a
> >> workgroup and start over.
> >> .
> >
> >yes im affraid i have to redo it....
> >
> >strange thing is it IS a DC
> >The AD is working the old way
> >computers and priters show up in the consol
> >backup works
> >sharepoint works
> >
> >users/gropus dont
> >
> >anyway
> >
> >what would u suggest to be the smarters way to redo it.
> >
> >i have a new 2008 server but i rather dont mess with that machine because it
> >runs very importent stuff
> >
> >i have a new PC wich i installed a sbs2008 on to look how its supposed to look
> >
> >on the broken sbs2008
> >i have exchnage running and i guess thats my biggest problem right now.
> >
> >is this possible.
> >
> >to set up the pc as a DC move over exchnage and AD to that machine.
> >same domain name so i dont have to mess on every machine i have.
> >would prefer to be able to move the printers aswell if possible
> >
> >and then just reinstall my real sbs2008 and then move the stuff back?
> >

> Same domain name does not mean it is the same domain. To computers
> there is more stuff going on. Kind of like a car. You buy a BMW 530.
> Your wife buys a BMW530. Same color, same engine, same transmission,
> same interior. But they are not the same as they have different serial
> numbers. The police do not consider them the same car. Neither do
> insurance companies.
>
> A domain works on security identifiers. Unless you join a domain
> controller to an existing working domain, the new DC has a different
> identifier that makes it a totally different domain even if you choose
> to call the server the same name and the domain the same. Same for
> workstations that are joined to a DC that looks the same by name but
> are not the same because they were never joined to the original
> domain. I might be simplifying the concept but the short answer is all
> the workstations will need to join the new SBS domain you create when
> you reinstall your SBS successfully.
>
> There are ways to save workstation profiles and import them back to
> the "new domain" joined workstations. There are also ways to deal with
> email which should be done before you start to reinstall the SBS.
>
> Did anyone review your server specifications to make sure that it is
> good enough?
> See what SBS support is working on
> http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/default.aspx
> Check your SBS with the SBS Best Practices Analyzer
> http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/tags/BPA/default.aspx
> .
Thx

so what would u pro's suggest?
i need to reinstall thats pretty clear

how do i export Exchnage 2007
and AD users if possible

"Jim Behning SBS MVP" wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 03:53:01 -0700, Coach
> <Coach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>

> >"Jim Behning SBS MVP" wrote:

> >> Same domain name does not mean it is the same domain. To computers
> >> there is more stuff going on. Kind of like a car. You buy a BMW 530.
> >> Your wife buys a BMW530. Same color, same engine, same transmission,
> >> same interior. But they are not the same as they have different serial
> >> numbers. The police do not consider them the same car. Neither do
> >> insurance companies.
> >>
> >> A domain works on security identifiers. Unless you join a domain
> >> controller to an existing working domain, the new DC has a different
> >> identifier that makes it a totally different domain even if you choose
> >> to call the server the same name and the domain the same. Same for
> >> workstations that are joined to a DC that looks the same by name but
> >> are not the same because they were never joined to the original
> >> domain. I might be simplifying the concept but the short answer is all
> >> the workstations will need to join the new SBS domain you create when
> >> you reinstall your SBS successfully.
> >>
> >> There are ways to save workstation profiles and import them back to
> >> the "new domain" joined workstations. There are also ways to deal with
> >> email which should be done before you start to reinstall the SBS.
> >>
> >> Did anyone review your server specifications to make sure that it is
> >> good enough?
> >> See what SBS support is working on
> >> http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/default.aspx
> >> Check your SBS with the SBS Best Practices Analyzer
> >> http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/tags/BPA/default.aspx
> >> .
> >Thx
> >
> >so what would u pro's suggest?
> >i need to reinstall thats pretty clear
> >
> >how do i export Exchnage 2007
> >and AD users if possible
> >
> To export Exchange you stop the smtp service on the server. You go to
> each workstation from Outlook to do an export of their email to a pst
> you can find.
>
> You join a domain controller to your existing domain. Clean it up.
> Clean it up is not a trivial process.  Join the new SBS to the
> existing domain. If you have less than 50 users just toss everything
> out once you have saved email. Or maybe buy a swing migration kit and
> do that. google swing migration for more answers.
> See what SBS support is working on
> http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/default.aspx
> Check your SBS with the SBS Best Practices Analyzer
> http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/tags/BPA/default.aspx
> .

zzzzzzzzzz the running around saving all pst files is .......
is that really the only way to move exchnage to a new machine?

anyway thx for your support :)

Default Account and Contact View
By default the system wants to display Accounts or Contacts as "My Active Accounts" or "My Active Contacts" How do you change the default to display *all* contacts/accounts? I went into Customization / Account / Forms and Views but can't seem to find where you'd change the default view for either Accounts or Contacts. Also, is it possible to change the view on a per Security Group basis, so that, say, an admin/manager's view would default to all contacts/accounts, but an end user would only see *their* contacts/accounts by default? Thanks - Daniel D...

CRM 4.0 SRS Connector Install Problem
I am trying to install MS CRM 4.0 (New install, not upgrade). My environment is setup like this: Srv-1 - Windows 2003R2 SP2, CRM Srv-2 - Windows 2003R2 SP2, SQL2005 SP2 & SQL2005 Reporting services I have installed CRM on srv-1. I am trying to install the SRS Connector on srv-2. My SQL server is a named instance (srv-2\SQL2005). I access reporting services with http://srv-2/ReportingService2005. When I try to install the SRS Connector it fails with "Unable to validate SQL Server Reporting Services Report Server installation. Please check that it is correctly installed on t...

How can I open my Calendar without defaulting to Calendar in Arch
I don't know why is my Calendar defaults to Calendar in Archive when opening it? I need to right click "Calendar" to open it in new window to show my recent meeitng schedules. Thanks "rrg1965" <rrg1965@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C9DE3C3F-6430-49D0-8C68-C019A6536D4C@microsoft.com... >I don't know why is my Calendar defaults to Calendar in Archive when opening > it? > I need to right click "Calendar" to open it in new window to show my recent > meeitng schedules. In Control Panel, start the Mail ap...

Did not Install Correct To fix this problem you must reinstall Office
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Have been running Office 2008 for H/S since April. I have (had) a copy of Entourage from my exchange provider. After Snow Leopard upgrade I had to re download and reinstall the Entourage. I DL'd from my exchange providers website. After using Entourage for about an hour I got an error: "Microsoft Office did not install correctly. To fix this problem you must follow specific steps to remove and then reinstall Office". So I uninstalled Office, since my copy was a downloaded copy I didnt have a dissk. I...

Attachment size default setup restrictions
I would like to setup a global default for the attachments size in our server. I am not able to send a file that has a size of 6 MB and I would like to know If the MS Exchange 2003 server is installed with a limit restrictions by default. Please advise how to check this information. Thank you in advance for your help. the default limit is 10 Megs to change, goto Global Settings/Message Delivery and select the Defaults tab or did you want to set sizerestrictions to/from internet? /LasseP "nangel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8b9601c432...

"News" missing from customize-commands-go
Good morning. The news Icon seems to have disappeared from customize commands. I am runing Outlook 2003 from a server at work , using MS Exchange. I was trying to set up news -- MS Newsgroups within Outlook as instructed by the Help proceedure, however, the News icon is no longer there. It was there at first. When I dragged it to my menu bar and attempted to sign into Newsgroups, it disappeared. I have never lost an icon from the commands before. I didn't think it was possible. Please advise See if this info helps: http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/43544/enable-outlook-200...

install anti virus warning 2004
I just installed money 2004 delux on a new computer. The computer came with norton anti virus. The install message tells me to disable Norton Anti Virus before installing. It also states that anti virus software can cause problems when downloading stock prices and other information. I disabled Norton and installed the product and it seems to be working fine. Do I need to disable norton everytime I want to download something from the web into money? I always updated stock prices to money through the web when I was on vers.99. The warning message on the install screen told me to look...

Creating Dynamic Range
I have created a dynamic range for an excel 2000 spreadsheet that I reference by using a Data Validation List... The dynamic range almost works, except that is leaves whichever is my last entry to the list off, of my "drop-down" box... So anything I add to the list whether is is several or a couple, will show up in my drop-down box except the very last entry.... My list that I am creating the dynamic range from runs from cell A3 thru A20 The formula for the dynamic range I have is: =OFFSET(Sheet2!$A$3,0,0,COUNTA(Sheet2!$A:$A)) Can anyone recognize something that might be wron...

Installed fonts in WinXP but don't show in any Office program
I've tried all the suggestions given in here (TweakUI, resetting printer, etc.), but NONE of those worked. I have 585 fonts in my Windows font folder. Does Office have a limit on the number of fonts it will display in the drop down Font box? In article <B4E90712-7D9E-4575-915C-3DA41C745442@microsoft.com>, JeffH wrote: > I've tried all the suggestions given in here (TweakUI, resetting printer, > etc.), but NONE of those worked. I have 585 fonts in my Windows font folder. > Does Office have a limit on the number of fonts it will display in the drop > down...

Money file conversion on new install
I'm stumped. I've used Money Deluxe 04 without any problems. Downloaded the Money Deluxe 05 trial version and used it for a month with no problems. And now I just bought the Deluxe 05 version, installed it, but when it first comes up, it says it needs to convert "My Money" file for use, but then it says "Money cannot locate My Money or cannot open it, possibly because it is a read-only file or you do not have permission to change it or your disk drive is write protected. " Its not read only and when I try to restore the back up version, I get the same err...

Holidays 2008
I need the holidays of 2008 for my Outlook 2000. Can anyone give me a help on this? Thanks Maria Joao Can you help yourself and read the archives of this group where the = answer has been posted several times since January 1? --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, Maria Joao asked: | I need the holidays of 2008 for my Outlook 2000. |=20 | Can anyone give me a help on this? |=20 | Thanks |=20 | Maria Joao Than...

Laptop client install error
Hi All, I am attempting to install the Laptop client remotely (as we have done for the rest of this organisation, which has worked sucessfully) and one client is recieving an error. The server is hosted in an ISP. All client connect via SonicWALL VPN. All clients are on the domain. Have been using 1.2 sucessfully. Cannot get v3 installed due to error -> 'Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Client.InstallDatabaseAction failed. SQL server does not exist or access denied.' Log error: 10:56:17| Error| System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Client.InstallDatabaseAction failed. -...

Can Not Enter Actuals inMy Tasks after Server 2007 SP2 install
Hi folks, Immeidately after an upgrade of Server 2007 to SP2, users could no longer edit actual hours in My Task's daily time grid, but could still edit other fields like “Start” and “Finish". We figured the February 2010 Cumulative Update (CU) would fix it. We tried switching and testing all three tracking methods (Percent work complete, Actual work done and work remaining, Hours or work done per period). Still, we can not enter time under each date. Also tried republishing the project and that didn’t fix it either. Any ideas? Is this a known problems in Feb ...

Checking ALL fields for missing values
I would like an Error Message to display the names of the Fields missing data entry BEFORE the a macro to open the next form is intiated. The forms are mostly point n click in option groups. I want to make sure the person entering data did not miss any fields before clicking the macro to open the next form. If they do miss a field, I want the name of the field displayed and the focus of the cursor set back to the missing item. I'm relatively new to VBA code, so if there is an easy code that anyone knows..it would be helpful Thanks. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.acce...

using ntbackup in a batch file for Exchange 2003 on SBS 2003 Premi
Exchange Administration: I am working on batch files to backup my SBS 2003 Premium server. I have created an ntbackup backup selection file using the GUI tool. My server machine is P42800E, the machine I used to create this post is p3533, and the following is a Cygwin Bash session: <CVSENV>2006-05-22 22:27:52 dpchrist@p3533 /backup/bin/p42800e $ dump exchange.bks 000000 J \0 E \0 T \0 \0 P \0 4 \0 2 \0 8 \0 000010 0 \0 0 \0 E \0 \ \0 M \0 i \0 c \0 r \0 000020 o \0 s \0 o \0 f \0 t \0 \0 I \0 n \0 000030 ...

Money 2004 Sounds Scheme Missing In Regular Accounts
I installed Money 2004 in a WinXP Pro system with different accounts. I notice that I only get sounds in the administrator account and not in the other ones, except for the default voice on tips and help. Under the Administrator account, Control Panel > Sound And Audio Devices > under Sounds Tab there's an scheme for Money, but this entry is missing in other user accounts. How can I add the sounds in other user accounts? Thanks! ...

Overall Office 2008 opinions?
I will soon be making the switch to Mac from Windows at home only and I am quite interested as to what the general feeling is for everyone? - Very impressed - So-so - Terrible (reasons? - slow, bloatware, etc) Also, how does it compare to Office 2004 or Neo Office? Appreciate any feedback If you intend to use Microsoft Office at home to work on documents or files you create or share with Windows at work, then you should install Office 2004. Office 2008 can't do that. Regardless of the new features it has, the ability to share documents back and forth with Windows at Work is not a...

Microsoft IME works as 32bit when office2007 is installed on 64bit
Prior to installing office2007,IME will be a 64 bit component which is as seen in Task manager. But When office 2007 is installed IME starts working as 32 bit component. When will be the 64 bit version of office 2007 available. On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 01:28:01 -0700, Kartik Narayanan wrote: > Prior to installing office2007,IME will be a 64 bit component which is as > seen in Task manager. > > But When office 2007 is installed IME starts working as 32 bit component. > > When will be the 64 bit version of office 2007 available. Office 2007 products are 3...

Missing Fonts when saved in PDF
On occasion, when I save my publication in PDF form, the fonts will change. Are there certain fonts which are not allowed? How do I get them? Not all fonts can be embedded. There's nothing you can do about that except to use fonts than can be. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "bellarush" <bellarush@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:036AE470-3C94-4298-9FEB-AC929F16A30A@microsoft.com... > On occasion, when I save my publication in PDF form, the fonts will > change. &...

Removing old version of Office after installing new one
Up until about 6 months ago I was using Office XP. As my wife is a teacher I took advantage of a special deal to buy Office 2007 and installed that, but I didn't remove the old one as I wanted to make sure everything worked ok. I'd now like to get rid of the Office XP. Both are listed in the "Add or Remove Programs" utility. Is it safe to use this to remove Office XP or might it mess up Office 2007 in the process? Thanks, David. "DavidM" <davidm_uk_notme@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ocs9h5prarkvtb104fe2l5ptsu2j58fmor@4ax.com > Up until ...

How can I view Publisher files without having MS Publ. installed?
If I want to send someone a MS Publisher file I have created, is there anyway they can view it without have the full MS Publisher program installed? Lance Persson <LancePersson@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > If I want to send someone a MS Publisher file I have created, is > there anyway they can view it without have the full MS Publisher > program installed? If you use a PDF converter such as PrimoPDF (www.primopdf.com), you can convert files to PDF format. PDF files are viewable with the free Adobe Reader, which virtually everyone has some ...

installing money from Internet
I recently purchased Money from the Microsoft web site. I used the activation code to upgrade from the trial version. I just got a new computer. How can I install Money on the new computer? I know how to export a file and restore from that back-up if the new Money will allow it. I attempted to download the trial version and then enter my activation code from the previous purchase. However, there are apparent blanks for that. So I am left without a working version. Please help!! ...

GroupBox and Radio Buttons
I have a Group box that contains 3 radio buttons. I do not want any of the buttons "checked" by default when the form opens. All of the default values are set as Checked =False I even added the following code in the Form Load Event Me.rb1.Checked = False Me.rb2.Checked = False Me.rb3.Checked = False Why then is radio button 1 is always checked when I open the form ? Where is the default value set for the GroupBox ? Is that where it may be coming from ? What am I missing ? Hello, Rob, The radio button that is being checked is probably the first control...

80005000 failed to grant access to organizational unit on install
Received this error when trying to install MS CRM on our domain Failed to grant access to organizational OU in active directory. We used a non-system account for the MS CRM service, and gave the account full access and admin rights. Any ideas? Keith Knostman I/O Software Inc ...

XP Install Keeps Seeing 131 megs On System Drive
I've tried installing XP several times now - both with a virgin Samsung 500-gigger from Samsung, and a tried-and-true WD 250. In both cases, the XP setup seems tb seeing a disc of only 131+ megs. First time around, with the 500-gigger, I just went with it. Got what looked tb a good install, but the system partition was, as expected, only 127 gigs. However when I went to create a second partition via MyComputer | Manage | Disk Management was only seeing 127 - i.e there was not the expected 300+ gigs of unpartitioned space. Similar deal with the 250. Then I took the 50...