Best Practice for Vistualizing SBS 2003 R2 with ISA installed

Hi all,

I am flirting with the idea to put to test the following virtualization:

Server 2008 R2 + Hyper-V as host and ( HW = Xeon Quad; 8 GBs RAM; RAID 5; 2
NICs)
SBS 2003 R3 as guest VM

I need some ideas, gotchas and tips on how to make it workable

Thanks,

Dan

0
Daniel

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01CA7A48.A8A72240

First and most importantly, its not supported by Microsoft to virtualize =
SBS 2003 (any flavor)
USB will not work without 3rd party tools
Fax Server will no longer function.

--=20
Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)
Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed
http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/06723295=
73/ref=3Dpd_bbs_sr_1?ie=3DUTF8&s=3Dbooks&qid=3D1217269967&sr=3D8-1
Owner, CPU Services, Belleville, IL
A Microsoft Registered Partner
------------------------------------
MVPs do not work for Microsoft
Please do not submit questions directly to me.

  "Daniel Jewel" <cyberdudeiq@yahoo.com.br> wrote in message =
  Hi all,

  I am flirting with the idea to put to test the following =
virtualization:

  Server 2008 R2 + Hyper-V as host and ( HW =3D Xeon Quad; 8 GBs RAM; =
RAID 5; 2=20
  NICs)
  SBS 2003 R3 as guest VM

  I need some ideas, gotchas and tips on how to make it workable

  Thanks,

  Dan
  =20

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01CA7A48.A8A72240

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>First and most importantly, its not =
supported by=20
Microsoft to virtualize SBS 2003 (any flavor)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>USB will not work without 3rd party=20
tools</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Fax Server will no longer =
function.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>-- <BR>Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)<BR>Co-Contributor, =
Windows=20
Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/=
0672329573/ref=3Dpd_bbs_sr_1?ie=3DUTF8&amp;s=3Dbooks&amp;qid=3D1217269967=
&amp;sr=3D8-1">http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleas=
hed/dp/0672329573/ref=3Dpd_bbs_sr_1?ie=3DUTF8&amp;s=3Dbooks&amp;qid=3D121=
7269967&amp;sr=3D8-1</A><BR>Owner,=20
CPU Services, Belleville, IL<BR>A Microsoft Registered=20
Partner<BR>------------------------------------<BR>MVPs do not work for=20
Microsoft<BR>Please do not submit questions directly to me.<BR></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>"Daniel Jewel" &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:cyberdudeiq@yahoo.com.br">cyberdudeiq@yahoo.com.br</A>&gt;=
 wrote=20
  in message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:uKYpkRmeKHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl">news:uKYpkRmeKHA.1652=
@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl</A>...</DIV>Hi=20
  all,<BR><BR>I am flirting with the idea to put to test the following=20
  virtualization:<BR><BR>Server 2008 R2 + Hyper-V as host and ( HW =3D =
Xeon Quad;=20
  8 GBs RAM; RAID 5; 2 <BR>NICs)<BR>SBS 2003 R3 as guest VM<BR><BR>I =
need some=20
  ideas, gotchas and tips on how to make it=20
  =
workable<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Dan<BR>&nbsp;<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTM=

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01CA7A48.A8A72240--

0
Cris

------=_NextPart_000_0068_01CA7A43.3EF26170

And while ISA will work, it can not provide full firewall protection to =
the Hyper-v physical network connected to the Internet.

--=20
/kj
  "Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]" <crisnospamhanna@cpunospamservices.net> wrote =
in message news:eMPj0rneKHA.5608@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
[...]

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>And while ISA will work, it can not =
provide full=20
firewall protection to the Hyper-v physical network connected to the=20
Internet.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>-- <BR>/kj</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"=20
dir=3Dltr>
  <DIV>"Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]" &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:crisnospamhanna@cpunospamservices.net">crisnospamhanna@cpu=
nospamservices.net</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:eMPj0rneKHA.5608@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl">news:eMPj0rneKHA.5608=
@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl</A>...</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>First and most importantly, its not =
supported by=20
  Microsoft to virtualize SBS 2003 (any flavor)</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>USB will not work without 3rd party=20
  tools</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Fax Server will no longer =
    wrote in message <A=20
    =
href=3D"news:uKYpkRmeKHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl">news:uKYpkRmeKHA.1652=
@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl</A>...</DIV>Hi=20
    all,<BR><BR>I am flirting with the idea to put to test the following =

    virtualization:<BR><BR>Server 2008 R2 + Hyper-V as host and ( HW =3D =
Xeon=20
    Quad; 8 GBs RAM; RAID 5; 2 <BR>NICs)<BR>SBS 2003 R3 as guest =
VM<BR><BR>I=20
    need some ideas, gotchas and tips on how to make it=20
    =
workable<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Dan<BR>&nbsp;<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE=
></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0068_01CA7A43.3EF26170--

0
kj
12/11/2009 4:20:55 PM
1.) Not supported. Full stop.
2.) Certainly works, many of us have done it. But see #1.
3.) I'd want at least one additional NIC on the hyper-v parent. You should
always have a dedicated management NIC that isn't used by Hyper-V or any of
the guests.
4.) What other VMs are you planning on using on that box? SBS will only see
4GB of the RAM.
5.) Do not install any other roles on your parent partition (host).
Especially since your firewall is running on a guest.
6.) You should not join the parent to the domain.
7.) Reminder. See #1.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"Daniel Jewel" <cyberdudeiq@yahoo.com.br> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I am flirting with the idea to put to test the following virtualization:
>
> Server 2008 R2 + Hyper-V as host and ( HW = Xeon Quad; 8 GBs RAM; RAID 5;
> 2 NICs)
> SBS 2003 R3 as guest VM
>
> I need some ideas, gotchas and tips on how to make it workable
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dan

0
Charlie
12/11/2009 4:26:17 PM
Thanks guys...

I do not plan on using FAX and USB Backup can be re-routed to member server
(USB) so no issues there.
I plan on 4 partitions for the host. Parent partition with Core Server and
Hyper-V services only if possible!?
SBS on a dedicated a 300GBs partition
Will ISA work with 2 NICs and provide security to the LAN?

Dan

"Charlie Russel - MVP" <Charlie@mvKILLALLSPAMMERSps.org> wrote in message
> 1.) Not supported. Full stop.
> 2.) Certainly works, many of us have done it. But see #1.
> 3.) I'd want at least one additional NIC on the hyper-v parent. You should
> always have a dedicated management NIC that isn't used by Hyper-V or any
> of the guests.
> 4.) What other VMs are you planning on using on that box? SBS will only
> see 4GB of the RAM.
> 5.) Do not install any other roles on your parent partition (host).
> Especially since your firewall is running on a guest.
> 6.) You should not join the parent to the domain.
> 7.) Reminder. See #1.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
>

> "Daniel Jewel" <cyberdudeiq@yahoo.com.br> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am flirting with the idea to put to test the following virtualization:
>>
>> Server 2008 R2 + Hyper-V as host and ( HW = Xeon Quad; 8 GBs RAM; RAID 5;
>> 2 NICs)
>> SBS 2003 R3 as guest VM
>>
>> I need some ideas, gotchas and tips on how to make it workable
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dan

0
Daniel
12/11/2009 4:41:19 PM
Daniel Jewel wrote:
> Thanks guys...
>
> I do not plan on using FAX and USB Backup can be re-routed to member
> server (USB) so no issues there.
> I plan on 4 partitions for the host. Parent partition with Core
> Server and Hyper-V services only if possible!?
> SBS on a dedicated a 300GBs partition
> Will ISA work with 2 NICs and provide security to the LAN?
>
> Dan

again, Charlies #1 ( &#7).

Hyper-V R2 or Server Core R2 with Hyper-v alone would be best.

Not only seperate partitions and seperate NICs, but seperate spindles should
be considered for performance.

Will ISA work, Will ISA provide security to the LAN? Yes, but.... ISA can
not *fully* protect the Hyper-V Physical NIC that you will configure as a
Virtual NIC. ISA will function and appear to be providing full capabiliites,
but effectivly it is running on an virtualized Network device. If the
physical network device can be compromised underneath ISA, then your Hyper-V
host and all that is connected to it *could* be at risk. I'm not aware of
anyone having done this, but theoretically, it is possible.

--
/kj

0
kj
12/11/2009 4:58:22 PM
So...if I follow Charlie's advice (getting an additional NIC for management
only) I should be good to go...right ?
Dan

"kj [SBS MVP]" <KevinJ.SBS@SPAMFREE.gmail.com> wrote in message
> Daniel Jewel wrote:
>> Thanks guys...
>>
>> I do not plan on using FAX and USB Backup can be re-routed to member
>> server (USB) so no issues there.
>> I plan on 4 partitions for the host. Parent partition with Core
>> Server and Hyper-V services only if possible!?
>> SBS on a dedicated a 300GBs partition
>> Will ISA work with 2 NICs and provide security to the LAN?
>>
>> Dan
>
> again, Charlies #1 ( &#7).
>
> Hyper-V R2 or Server Core R2 with Hyper-v alone would be best.
>
> Not only seperate partitions and seperate NICs, but seperate spindles
> should be considered for performance.
>
> Will ISA work, Will ISA provide security to the LAN? Yes, but.... ISA can
> not *fully* protect the Hyper-V Physical NIC that you will configure as a
> Virtual NIC. ISA will function and appear to be providing full
> capabiliites, but effectivly it is running on an virtualized Network
> device. If the physical network device can be compromised underneath ISA,
> then your Hyper-V host and all that is connected to it *could* be at risk.
> I'm not aware of anyone having done this, but theoretically, it is
> possible.
>

>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <Charlie@mvKILLALLSPAMMERSps.org> wrote in
>> message news:eyJmx6neKHA.2780@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>> 1.) Not supported. Full stop.
>>> 2.) Certainly works, many of us have done it. But see #1.
>>> 3.) I'd want at least one additional NIC on the hyper-v parent. You
>>> should always have a dedicated management NIC that isn't used by
>>> Hyper-V or any of the guests.
>>> 4.) What other VMs are you planning on using on that box? SBS will
>>> only see 4GB of the RAM.
>>> 5.) Do not install any other roles on your parent partition (host).
>>> Especially since your firewall is running on a guest.
>>> 6.) You should not join the parent to the domain.
>>> 7.) Reminder. See #1.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
>>>

>>> "Daniel Jewel" <cyberdudeiq@yahoo.com.br> wrote in message

> --
> /kj

0
Daniel

------=_NextPart_000_00B9_01CA7A5D.11F0A050

I think what your missing here is once you go down this route, you lose =
MS Support.
I've said it once, Charlie's said it twice.

As Charlie also points out, it can be done, but you do so at your own =
risk

  So...if I follow Charlie's advice (getting an additional NIC for =
management=20

  "kj [SBS MVP]" <KevinJ.SBS@SPAMFREE.gmail.com> wrote in message=20
  > Daniel Jewel wrote:
  >> Thanks guys...
  >>
  >> I do not plan on using FAX and USB Backup can be re-routed to =
member
  >> server (USB) so no issues there.
  >> I plan on 4 partitions for the host. Parent partition with Core
  >> Server and Hyper-V services only if possible!?
  >> SBS on a dedicated a 300GBs partition
  >> Will ISA work with 2 NICs and provide security to the LAN?
  >>
  >> Dan
  >
  > again, Charlies #1 ( &#7).
  >
  > Hyper-V R2 or Server Core R2 with Hyper-v alone would be best.
  >
  > Not only seperate partitions and seperate NICs, but seperate =
spindles=20
  > should be considered for performance.
  >
  > Will ISA work, Will ISA provide security to the LAN? Yes, but.... =
ISA can=20
  > not *fully* protect the Hyper-V Physical NIC that you will configure =
as a=20
  > Virtual NIC. ISA will function and appear to be providing full=20
  > capabiliites, but effectivly it is running on an virtualized Network =

  > device. If the physical network device can be compromised underneath =
ISA,=20
  > then your Hyper-V host and all that is connected to it *could* be at =
risk.=20
  > I'm not aware of anyone having done this, but theoretically, it is=20
  > possible.
  >

  >> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <Charlie@mvKILLALLSPAMMERSps.org> wrote in
  >> message news:eyJmx6neKHA.2780@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
  >>> 1.) Not supported. Full stop.
  >>> 2.) Certainly works, many of us have done it. But see #1.
  >>> 3.) I'd want at least one additional NIC on the hyper-v parent. =
You
  >>> should always have a dedicated management NIC that isn't used by
  >>> Hyper-V or any of the guests.
  >>> 4.) What other VMs are you planning on using on that box? SBS will
  >>> only see 4GB of the RAM.
  >>> 5.) Do not install any other roles on your parent partition =
(host).
  >>> Especially since your firewall is running on a guest.
  >>> 6.) You should not join the parent to the domain.
  >>> 7.) Reminder. See #1.
  >>>
  >>> --
  >>> Charlie.
  >>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
  >>>

  >>> "Daniel Jewel" <cyberdudeiq@yahoo.com.br> wrote in message

Xeon Quad;=20

  > --=20
  > /kj

------=_NextPart_000_00B9_01CA7A5D.11F0A050

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I think what your missing here is once =
you go down=20
this route, you lose MS Support.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I've said it once, Charlie's said it=20
twice.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>As Charlie also points out, it can be =
done, but you=20
do so at your own risk</FONT></DIV>
[...]
href=3D"news:e00yoioeKHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl">news:e00yoioeKHA.3960=
@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl</A>...</DIV>So...if=20
  I follow Charlie's advice (getting an additional NIC for management =
<BR>only)=20
  I should be good to go...right ?<BR>Dan<BR><BR>"kj [SBS MVP]" &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:KevinJ.SBS@SPAMFREE.gmail.com">KevinJ.SBS@SPAMFREE.gmail.c=
om</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message <BR><A=20
  =
href=3D"news:#SRqnMoeKHA.5808@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl">news:#SRqnMoeKHA.5808=
@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl</A>...<BR>&gt;=20
  Daniel Jewel wrote:<BR>&gt;&gt; Thanks guys...<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; =
I do=20
  not plan on using FAX and USB Backup can be re-routed to =
member<BR>&gt;&gt;=20
  server (USB) so no issues there.<BR>&gt;&gt; I plan on 4 partitions =
for the=20
  host. Parent partition with Core<BR>&gt;&gt; Server and Hyper-V =
services only=20
  if possible!?<BR>&gt;&gt; SBS on a dedicated a 300GBs =
partition<BR>&gt;&gt;=20
  Will ISA work with 2 NICs and provide security to the=20
  LAN?<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; Dan<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; again, Charlies #1 (=20
  &amp;#7).<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Hyper-V R2 or Server Core R2 with Hyper-v =
alone=20
  would be best.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Not only seperate partitions and =
seperate NICs,=20
  but seperate spindles <BR>&gt; should be considered for=20
  performance.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Will ISA work, Will ISA provide security =
to the=20
  LAN? Yes, but.... ISA can <BR>&gt; not *fully* protect the Hyper-V =
Physical=20
  NIC that you will configure as a <BR>&gt; Virtual NIC. ISA will =
function and=20
  appear to be providing full <BR>&gt; capabiliites, but effectivly it =
is=20
  running on an virtualized Network <BR>&gt; device. If the physical =
network=20
  device can be compromised underneath ISA, <BR>&gt; then your Hyper-V =
host and=20
  all that is connected to it *could* be at risk. <BR>&gt; I'm not aware =
of=20
  anyone having done this, but theoretically, it is <BR>&gt;=20
  possible.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; "Charlie Russel - MVP" =
&lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:Charlie@mvKILLALLSPAMMERSps.org">Charlie@mvKILLALLSPAMMERS=
ps.org</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in<BR>&gt;&gt; message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:eyJmx6neKHA.2780@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl">news:eyJmx6neKHA.2780=
@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl</A>...<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
  1.) Not supported. Full stop.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; 2.) Certainly works, =
many of us=20
  have done it. But see #1.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; 3.) I'd want at least one =
additional=20
  NIC on the hyper-v parent. You<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; should always have a =
dedicated=20
  management NIC that isn't used by<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; Hyper-V or any of =
the=20
  guests.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; 4.) What other VMs are you planning on using =
on that=20
  box? SBS will<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; only see 4GB of the RAM.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; =
5.) Do=20
  not install any other roles on your parent partition =
(host).<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
  Especially since your firewall is running on a guest.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; =
6.) You=20
  should not join the parent to the domain.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; 7.) =
Reminder. See=20
  #1.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; --<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
  Charlie.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel">http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel</A=
><BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;=
&gt;&gt;=20
  "Daniel Jewel" &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:cyberdudeiq@yahoo.com.br">cyberdudeiq@yahoo.com.br</A>&gt;=
 wrote=20
  in message<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:uKYpkRmeKHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl">news:uKYpkRmeKHA.1652=
@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl</A>...<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
  Hi all,<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I am flirting with the =
idea to=20
  put to test the following<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; virtualization: Server =
2008 R2 +=20
  Hyper-V as host and ( HW =3D Xeon Quad; <BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; 8 GBs=20
  RAM;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; RAID 5; 2 NICs)<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; SBS 2003 =
R3 as=20
  guest VM<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I need some ideas, =
gotchas=20
  and tips on how to make it =
workable<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
  Thanks,<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Dan<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; -- =

  <BR>&gt; /kj<BR>&gt;</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00B9_01CA7A5D.11F0A050--

0
Cris
12/11/2009 6:25:48 PM
Daniel Jewel wrote:
> So...if I follow Charlie's advice (getting an additional NIC for
> management only) I should be good to go...right ?
> Dan

Considering the limitations and restrictions and following Charlie's advice
( + others including mine) you would be embarking with knowledge on a
"workable" virtualization project.

--
/kj

0
kj
12/11/2009 6:31:23 PM
I'm fully aware it will not be supported by Microsoft... but, as I said
before, this is project for me to get my feet wet with Hyper-V and other VM
servers
Thanks to all for the helping hand ! Really appreciate it...

> Daniel Jewel wrote:
>> So...if I follow Charlie's advice (getting an additional NIC for
>> management only) I should be good to go...right ?
>> Dan
>

> Considering the limitations and restrictions and following Charlie's
> advice ( + others including mine) you would be embarking with knowledge on
> a "workable" virtualization project.
>

>> "kj [SBS MVP]" <KevinJ.SBS@SPAMFREE.gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> again, Charlies #1 ( &#7).
>>>
>>> Hyper-V R2 or Server Core R2 with Hyper-v alone would be best.
>>>
>>> Not only seperate partitions and seperate NICs, but seperate spindles
>>> should be considered for performance.
>>>
>>> Will ISA work, Will ISA provide security to the LAN? Yes, but....
>>> ISA can not *fully* protect the Hyper-V Physical NIC that you will
>>> configure as a Virtual NIC. ISA will function and appear to be
>>> providing full capabiliites, but effectivly it is running on an
>>> virtualized Network device. If the physical network device can be
>>> compromised underneath ISA, then your Hyper-V host and all that is
>>> connected to it *could* be at risk. I'm not aware of anyone having
>>> done this, but theoretically, it is possible.

>>> --
>>> /kj
>
> --
> /kj

0
Daniel
12/11/2009 7:12:22 PM
Daniel Jewel wrote:
> I'm fully aware it will not be supported by Microsoft... but, as I
> said before, this is project for me to get my feet wet with Hyper-V
> and other VM servers
> Thanks to all for the helping hand ! Really appreciate it...
> Dan

Don't think the 'get my feet wet with...' was understood. For that purpose
it will serve you well. For an end customer production environment, then
serious considerations should be given to supportability and limitations.

Have fun, there are several here that have successfully done what you are
proposing.

--
/kj

0
kj

------=_NextPart_000_0157_01CA7A74.9E74CC10

Agree.  It was not clear that this was a lab project and not a customers =
environment you were planning to move.

  I'm fully aware it will not be supported by Microsoft... but, as I =
said=20
  before, this is project for me to get my feet wet with Hyper-V and =
other VM=20
  servers
  Thanks to all for the helping hand ! Really appreciate it...
  Dan

  "kj [SBS MVP]" <KevinJ.SBS@SPAMFREE.gmail.com> wrote in message=20
  > Daniel Jewel wrote:
  >> So...if I follow Charlie's advice (getting an additional NIC for
  >> management only) I should be good to go...right ?
  >> Dan
  >

  > Considering the limitations and restrictions and following Charlie's =

  > advice ( + others including mine) you would be embarking with =
knowledge on=20
  > a "workable" virtualization project.
  >

  >> "kj [SBS MVP]" <KevinJ.SBS@SPAMFREE.gmail.com> wrote in message

  >>> again, Charlies #1 ( &#7).
  >>>
  >>> Hyper-V R2 or Server Core R2 with Hyper-v alone would be best.
  >>>
  >>> Not only seperate partitions and seperate NICs, but seperate =
spindles
  >>> should be considered for performance.
  >>>
  >>> Will ISA work, Will ISA provide security to the LAN? Yes, but....
  >>> ISA can not *fully* protect the Hyper-V Physical NIC that you will
  >>> configure as a Virtual NIC. ISA will function and appear to be
  >>> providing full capabiliites, but effectivly it is running on an
  >>> virtualized Network device. If the physical network device can be
  >>> compromised underneath ISA, then your Hyper-V host and all that is
  >>> connected to it *could* be at risk. I'm not aware of anyone having
  >>> done this, but theoretically, it is possible.

You

Xeon

  >>> --
  >>> /kj
  >
  > --=20
  > /kj

------=_NextPart_000_0157_01CA7A74.9E74CC10

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Agree.&nbsp; It was not clear that this =
was a lab=20
project and not a customers environment you were planning to =
move.</FONT></DIV>
[...]
href=3D"news:usCvfXpeKHA.3752@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl">news:usCvfXpeKHA.3752=
@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl</A>...</DIV>I'm=20
  fully aware it will not be supported by Microsoft... but, as I said=20
  <BR>before, this is project for me to get my feet wet with Hyper-V and =
other=20
  VM <BR>servers<BR>Thanks to all for the helping hand ! Really =
appreciate=20
  it...<BR>Dan<BR><BR>"kj [SBS MVP]" &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:KevinJ.SBS@SPAMFREE.gmail.com">KevinJ.SBS@SPAMFREE.gmail.c=
om</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message <BR><A=20
  =
href=3D"news:ufUXmApeKHA.5808@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl">news:ufUXmApeKHA.5808=
@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl</A>...<BR>&gt;=20
  Daniel Jewel wrote:<BR>&gt;&gt; So...if I follow Charlie's advice =
(getting an=20
  additional NIC for<BR>&gt;&gt; management only) I should be good to =
go...right=20
  ?<BR>&gt;&gt; Dan<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Considering the limitations =
and=20
  restrictions and following Charlie's <BR>&gt; advice ( + others =
including=20
  mine) you would be embarking with knowledge on <BR>&gt; a "workable"=20
  virtualization project.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; "kj =
[SBS MVP]"=20
  &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:KevinJ.SBS@SPAMFREE.gmail.com">KevinJ.SBS@SPAMFREE.gmail.c=
om</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in message<BR>&gt;&gt; <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:#SRqnMoeKHA.5808@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl">news:#SRqnMoeKHA.5808=
@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl</A>...<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
  Daniel Jewel wrote:<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Thanks=20
  guys...<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I do not plan on using =
FAX and=20
  USB Backup can be re-routed to member<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; server (USB) =
so no=20
  issues there.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I plan on 4 partitions for the host. =
Parent=20
  partition with Core<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Server and Hyper-V services =
only if=20
  possible!?<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; SBS on a dedicated a 300GBs=20
  partition<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Will ISA work with 2 NICs and provide =
security=20
  to the LAN?<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
  Dan<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; again, Charlies #1 (=20
  &amp;#7).<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; Hyper-V R2 or Server Core R2 =
with=20
  Hyper-v alone would be best.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; Not only =
seperate=20
  partitions and seperate NICs, but seperate spindles<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; =
should be=20
  considered for performance.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; Will ISA =
work,=20
  Will ISA provide security to the LAN? Yes, but....<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; ISA =
can not=20
  *fully* protect the Hyper-V Physical NIC that you will<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; =

  configure as a Virtual NIC. ISA will function and appear to =
be<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
  providing full capabiliites, but effectivly it is running on=20
  an<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; virtualized Network device. If the physical network =
device=20
  can be<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; compromised underneath ISA, then your Hyper-V =
host and=20
  all that is<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; connected to it *could* be at risk. I'm =
not aware=20
  of anyone having<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; done this, but theoretically, it is=20
  possible.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; =
"Charlie=20
  Russel - MVP" &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:Charlie@mvKILLALLSPAMMERSps.org">Charlie@mvKILLALLSPAMMERS=
ps.org</A>&gt;=20
  wrote in<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:eyJmx6neKHA.2780@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl">news:eyJmx6neKHA.2780=
@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl</A>...<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
  1.) Not supported. Full stop.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; 2.) Certainly =
works,=20
  many of us have done it. But see #1.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; 3.) I'd =
want at=20
  least one additional NIC on the hyper-v parent. =
You<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
  should always have a dedicated management NIC that isn't used=20
  by<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Hyper-V or any of the=20
  guests.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; 4.) What other VMs are you planning on =
using=20
  on that box? SBS will<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; only see 4GB of the=20
  RAM.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; 5.) Do not install any other roles on =
your parent=20
  partition (host).<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Especially since your =
firewall is=20
  running on a guest.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; 6.) You should not join =
the parent=20
  to the domain.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; 7.) Reminder. See=20
  #1.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; =
--<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
  Charlie.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel">http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel</A=
><BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;=
<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
  "Daniel Jewel" &lt;<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:cyberdudeiq@yahoo.com.br">cyberdudeiq@yahoo.com.br</A>&gt;=
 wrote=20
  in message<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:uKYpkRmeKHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl">news:uKYpkRmeKHA.1652=
@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl</A>...<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
  Hi all,<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I am =
flirting=20
  with the idea to put to test the following<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; =

  virtualization: Server 2008 R2 + Hyper-V as host and ( HW =3D=20
  Xeon<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Quad; 8 GBs =
RAM;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
  RAID 5; 2 NICs)<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; SBS 2003 R3 as guest=20
  VM<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I need some =
ideas,=20
  gotchas and tips on how to make it=20
  workable<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
  Thanks,<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;=20
  Dan<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; --<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; =
/kj<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; --=20
  <BR>&gt; /kj<BR>&gt;</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0157_01CA7A74.9E74CC10--

0
Cris
12/11/2009 9:14:22 PM
One further suggestion. The NIC that you physically connect to the Internet
(and that gets virtualized the ISA external NIC should have no MS Networking
services (either client or server) enabled. It's ONLY function should be to
pass through the ISA external NIC. And if it were my box, I'd go a step
further and protect the entire box with AuthAnvil to further protect me from
something happening before the packets could get to ISA. (No direct
connection to AuthAnvil, except that he's a friend and fellow MVP and I
really like the product. www.scorpionsoft.com)
--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"Daniel Jewel" <cyberdudeiq@yahoo.com.br> wrote in message
> So...if I follow Charlie's advice (getting an additional NIC for
> management only) I should be good to go...right ?
> Dan
>
> "kj [SBS MVP]" <KevinJ.SBS@SPAMFREE.gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Daniel Jewel wrote:
>>> Thanks guys...
>>>
>>> I do not plan on using FAX and USB Backup can be re-routed to member
>>> server (USB) so no issues there.
>>> I plan on 4 partitions for the host. Parent partition with Core
>>> Server and Hyper-V services only if possible!?
>>> SBS on a dedicated a 300GBs partition
>>> Will ISA work with 2 NICs and provide security to the LAN?
>>>
>>> Dan
>>
>> again, Charlies #1 ( &#7).
>>
>> Hyper-V R2 or Server Core R2 with Hyper-v alone would be best.
>>
>> Not only seperate partitions and seperate NICs, but seperate spindles
>> should be considered for performance.
>>
>> Will ISA work, Will ISA provide security to the LAN? Yes, but.... ISA can
>> not *fully* protect the Hyper-V Physical NIC that you will configure as a
>> Virtual NIC. ISA will function and appear to be providing full
>> capabiliites, but effectivly it is running on an virtualized Network
>> device. If the physical network device can be compromised underneath ISA,
>> then your Hyper-V host and all that is connected to it *could* be at
>> risk. I'm not aware of anyone having done this, but theoretically, it is
>> possible.
>>

>>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <Charlie@mvKILLALLSPAMMERSps.org> wrote in
>>> message news:eyJmx6neKHA.2780@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...

>> --
>> /kj

0
Charlie
12/12/2009 12:38:55 AM
Charlie,
Did no quite grasp the last piece of advice... as per your suggestions, I
will have 3 NICs on this Server. 2 for SBS (1 for WAN and 1 for LAN) plus
another 1 for Management only. Is my understanding correct?

> One further suggestion. The NIC that you physically connect to the
> Internet (and that gets virtualized the ISA external NIC should have no MS
> Networking services (either client or server) enabled. It's ONLY function
> should be to pass through the ISA external NIC. And if it were my box, I'd
> go a step further and protect the entire box with AuthAnvil to further
> protect me from something happening before the packets could get to ISA.
> (No direct connection to AuthAnvil, except that he's a friend and fellow
> MVP and I really like the product. www.scorpionsoft.com)
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
>

> "Daniel Jewel" <cyberdudeiq@yahoo.com.br> wrote in message
>> So...if I follow Charlie's advice (getting an additional NIC for
>> management only) I should be good to go...right ?
>> Dan
>>
>> "kj [SBS MVP]" <KevinJ.SBS@SPAMFREE.gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> again, Charlies #1 ( &#7).
>>>
>>> Hyper-V R2 or Server Core R2 with Hyper-v alone would be best.
>>>
>>> Not only seperate partitions and seperate NICs, but seperate spindles
>>> should be considered for performance.
>>>
>>> Will ISA work, Will ISA provide security to the LAN? Yes, but.... ISA
>>> can not *fully* protect the Hyper-V Physical NIC that you will configure
>>> as a Virtual NIC. ISA will function and appear to be providing full
>>> capabiliites, but effectivly it is running on an virtualized Network
>>> device. If the physical network device can be compromised underneath
>>> ISA, then your Hyper-V host and all that is connected to it *could* be
>>> at risk. I'm not aware of anyone having done this, but theoretically, it
>>> is possible.

>>> --
>>> /kj

0
Daniel

Mail Delivery in Outlook 2003
We are currently using Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003 mail client. One of our ask us to configure his Outlook client to delivery his mail to a pst file local to his machine, instead of leaving it in the server. This configuration workrd for a while and it suddenly stopped delivering his mail to his pst file, but just leaving them in the mail server. To make Outlook deliver his mail again to his pst file we need to enable the " Cached Exchange Mode" and configure Outlook to manually connect to Exchange. When we change the configuration back to its original state it will continue to...

Moving files Outlook 2003
I am moving my outlook files to a new computer. Does anyone know how to accomplish this move? Wayne <was2480@msn.com> wrote: > I am moving my outlook files to a new computer. Does > anyone know how to accomplish this move? http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm tells the files. The easiest is to simply copy your PST to the new PC, put it in some folder, giving it a name that doesn't match any other PST, make sure it's not read-only, and use Outlook's File>Open>Outlook Data File to open it. -- Brian Tillman ...

Mac office 2004 install question
Where does the normal install normally place the "Microsoft User Data" folder that contains, among other things, the Entourage message database? Thanks, -gb In username/documents. In fact, Office requires the MUD folder be there, you have to trick it to put it elsewhere. On 2/18/05 4:34 PM, "Geoff Brandt" wrote: > Where does the normal install normally place the "Microsoft User Data" > folder that contains, among other things, the Entourage message database? > > Thanks, > > -gb > -- Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word Word FAQ: http://ww...

Problem opening Excel 2003 in a Small Business edition
When i open excel ,it appears a window "installing:function of Excel" Its seems like installing a new function of Excel , it last a few seconds and then we can work wiht it. How can i eliminate this Hi, You could try looking into your tools>Add-ins to determine what function packs are being loaded when you start Excel. If this is poiting to an add-in on a network drive, it could be what is causing the delay. You can try this by unchecking each option in turn and closing and re-opening Excel. Hope this helps Sunil Jayakumar ""installing:function of Excel"...

Report from Access 2003 to 2007 problem

Importing Distribution lists from Outlook 2000 to 2003
Hi, Does anyone know where I can find some info on importing existing distribution lists from Outlook 2000 to 2003. I understand that the .pst files in 2003 have a different file format -- but I can't seem to locate any data that lets me know if importing DLs is a problem because of that. thanks Kevin Kevin <thersitz @yahoo com> wrote: > Does anyone know where I can find some info on importing existing > distribution lists from Outlook 2000 to 2003. I understand that the > .pst files in 2003 have a different file format -- but I can't seem > to locate any data t...

Turning off all Automatic Formatting in Excel 2003
Hi Is there any way of turning off all automatic formatting in Excel 2003? For example Excel automatically changes strings such as 1-12 in a CSV file to 1-Dec, 10-10-2005 to 10/10/2005 and strings of numbers to an exponential representation. These changes are preserved when saving the file and thus corrupting it, preventing any other applications from reading it. I know you can import CSVs changing all the fields to text using the data import option, however reopening it and saving causes Excel to make the same changes again. Any suggestions would be really appreciated as this is caus...

Visio Pro 2003 compatible with x64?
Or do I need a newer version? When I attempt to install (over a network) I get the message that the program can not start or run due to 64-bit incompatibility. It may just be the installer software? Ken Are you trying to run natively 64 or on a 32-bit emulation layer? There is no 64-bit version of Visio, but we have tried to make Visio run in a compatibility layer. -- Mark Nelson Office Graphics - Visio Microsoft Corporation This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Mr. B" <ken.britton@tbe.com> wrote in message news:1177...

Installing GP on Windows 7
Does anybody have any luck installing Dynamics GP 10 SP 4 on a Windows 7 Professional workstation? When doing the installation of Dynamics GP everything installs except the Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 9.0 I have attempted to download the client from here as well http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=df0ba5aa-b4bd-4705-aa0a-b477ba72a9cb&displaylang=en For what ever reason it will not install properly. Any assistance on this topic would greatly be appreciated. Thanks, Kevin FYI This Workstation is a Dell Vostro 2205 32 bit operating syste...

Outlook 2003 freezes & crashes
Outlook 2003 worked fine on XP SP1, but on XP SP2, it stalls, freezes, crashes, needs debugging. I installed the entire Office 2003 Pro. I can't use it & must use Yahoo or something else for email. I have Trend Micro for anti virus & email, but I"m still having trouble. What is going on? Why is it freezing & crashing? Try Detect and Repair and a new profile via the Mail icon in Control Panel. "d. rahim" <drahim1122@netscape.net> wrote in message news:eh2FTzohFHA.2152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Outlook 2003 worked fine on XP SP1, but on XP SP2, it...

Month display in Microsoft Outlook 2003's Calendar
When using Microsoft Outlook 2003's Calendar in Month view, Saturday and Sunday are combined as one square (yes, they do have the date numbers and a line between them). This may be convenient for people using Outlook only for business purposes, but if someone were to have a job that involved weekends, or was not using Outlook for business purposes at all (which is my case), this could be extremely annoying. I would like to know if there is a way to display the Month view as the standard Sunday on the left and Saturday on the right, with Monday through Friday in between. I want all d...

Outlook 2003 random shut downs
I have a very weird error. First it is very sporadic issue and it happens completely out of the blue. This issue has been going on for about 3 weeks. All of the sudden, Outlook will state that it has encountered an error and needs to restart. I have sent the report to Microsoft without any results. Any ideas on how to fix this issue is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Aaron Do you use Microsoft CRM 3.0? If you do it is a known issue. Have a look at: http://blogs.inetium.com/blogs/tedh/archive/2007/01/12/782.aspx Mark On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 21:05:18 -0500, "Aaron" <apyle1...

Exchange 2003 IMF Virus Vulnerability???
We have recently migrated from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003, and it has made a world of difference. OWA is amazingly user intuitive and IMF has been catching hundreds of spam messages a day. Plus, IMF has decreased false positives. However, we currectly have a virus problem or potential problem. IMF has been setup to archive all blocked messages. Our antivirus (Computer Associate's eTrust) has an Exchange agent which successfully filters virus messages and attachements. Yesterday, we started to receive messages that the scanner has found viruses in the archive directory. The probl...

Exchange 2000/2003 Public Folder item Permissions Problem
Hi all, I've been having an issue with Public Folder permissions for some time now. The folder contains contacts for all company employees (most of which aren't on the company network), and is maintained by HR. Brief history is: Had Exchange 2000 on Win Server 2000, and a previous administrator modified public folder permissions on the M drive in explorer (a no-no). This resulted in the ESM "Invalid window handle" error. Managed fix these by following KB 270905 (permissions nuke), and deleting and re-creating the public folder. The latter was a problem, as most users were ...

"create mscrm.sql" error on 3rd (re-)install
I have installed CRM 1.2 on SBS2K3 twice as "advetureworks cycle" and "msdn subscriber" with only 90% success because of conflicts on the web site. I have removed the conflicts but now CRM installer errors trying to create the new database as (default) local service. My login has SQLServer db_creator permissions and I can create a DB, so I'm totally confused. Can I workaround this somehow ? What login needs to be given db_creator rights so Install can run te SQL scripts ? Hi Marcus, have you deleate the complete the old date from AWC? Have you delete the ...

Installation Error ... KB 935922
Hello, > Thank you for contacting Microsoft Customer Service. > Currently the hotfix described in [935922]: [Windows SBS 2003] is > unavailable. > [http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935922 ] How can I fix it now ?? Thank you Athan On Dec 27, 10:42=A0am, "Athan" <ath...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello, > > > Thank you for contacting Microsoft Customer Service. > > Currently the hotfix described in [935922]: [Windows SBS 2003] is > > unavailable. > > [http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935922] > > How can I fix it now ?? > > Than...

Word 2007 startup slow after installing Windows 7
Why only Word and not Excell and PowerPoint? Do you have a printer installed? -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "Poul Erik" <Poul Erik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8832AE61-8707-439D-9761-D75C9AC6C1BC@microsoft.com... > Why only Word and not Excell and PowerPoint? ...

SBS and GP Integration
I currently have a SBS box with CRM server on it and a separate W2K3 box with CRM Integration 1.2 on it. Can I keep this same setup with the 3.0 integration? The documentation is unclear because it sounds like I cannot have this configuration any longer because the CRM integration connector is required to be installed on the same box that has the CRM integration DB on it. -- Brandon Presentations Direct - "Document Finishing Solutions" http://www.presentationsdirect.com Hi Brandon, Please give me the details of the configuration (Operating System and topology) that you...

outlook 2003 reject .mdb attachment
I use outlook 2003 to get pop3 access from my yahoo email. for security reason, my outlook 2003 reject MS Access file .mdb as attachment when I receive the file. My yahoo mail alows me to download .mdb attachment. How to allow outlook to accept .mdb as attachment as well? http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.co...

Opening Publisher 2000 file with Publisher 2003
I have been sent a file created in 2000, but use 2003, which says it cannot open earlier versions. Is there a download solution to this? -- Ghento Publisher 2003 will open 2000 documents. Some things to try: Disable your anti-virus software. Try opening the file in safe mode. Publisher 2000 and 2003 uses different WordArt, this could be a problem. Publisher 2003/2002 Add-in: WordArt Compatibility http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=897AA11B-A37D-4586-A1A7-54BBEA375AE2&displaylang=en How to troubleshoot a damaged publication in Publisher http://support.microsoft....

how to correct page setup errors in word 2003
Error message in Word 2003 page setup. "Settings you chose for the left and right margins, column spacings, or paragraph indents are too large for the page in some sections". I have tried everything I can think of to adjust, and still the message persists. Anyone know how to overcome this or to disable this function. Go to Format | Columns and click on the preset picture for One, then click OK. If the problem occurs in a single document, this should correct it. If it occurs in all documents, you will need to follow the same steps in the Normal template; see htt...

Outlook 2003 locks up while adding address to new mail message
I have Outlook 2003 installed with Business Contact Manager and Word as my email editor. Frequently, Outlook will lock up while I'm in the process of creating a new message and adding my first address in the To: field. I suspect that it has something to do with the AutoComplete feature as it appears to occur when the name is not automatically recognized or displayed even though it has been previously. Has anyone else encountered this bug and/or found a solution? I have the latest Outlook SPs installed. Haven't seen it, but it is more likely a corrupted profile than a corrup...

Exchange 2003 Public Folders #3
Hi, We are running Exchange 2003 Enterprise with 3 storage groups. One of our users is receiving following message: ''Public folder is over its size limit: {server name} This public folder has exceeded one or more size limits set by your administrator. The public folder size is 68001 KB. Public Folder size limits: You will receive a warning when this public folder reaches 50000 KB.You may not be able to send or receive new mail until you reduce the size of the public folder. To make more space available, delete any items that you are no longer using. Will the Public folde...

Best practice analyzer PAE problem with windows 2003 sp1
I have a windows 2003 sp1 Enterprise server with exchange 2003 sp1 that i ran the BPA against that made me aware that I am running PAE even with the /NOPAE boot.ini switch. I noticed that /noexecute=optout was in the boot.ini and that enables PAE. What is the best practice? Jesse http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ddtools/hh/ddtools/BootIni_aff45176-bd02-43cf-9895-c212fa392de2.xml.asp?frame=true "Jesse" <jesse@creditacceptance.com> wrote: >I have a windows 2003 sp1 Enterprise server with exchange 2003 sp1 that >i ran the BPA against that...

Regarding Pure Exchange 2003 network
Hi All, I have two Exchange 2003 servers have same organisation, but diffrent sites in diff Active directory. I am having one of them in remote area. My problem is I am notable to see other site server from another site. 1. What connectors do i need to create for sending mails from one site to another site? 2. And what connectors do i need to create for seeing other exchange servers from my site? Thanks, Tharakesh K. On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 09:45:43 -0700, "Tharakesh" <Tharakeshk@systechusa.com> wrote: >Hi All, > >I have two Exchange 2003 servers have same or...